Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Propagandist posted:

Holy poo poo. I understand that reference. God drat that takes me back.

Yeah, the book is awesome. The 3 (or 4?) part movie is ok'ish, I guess. Comparing to other King adaptions, i would say it's above average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
arfjason the doxx was inside you all along

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I have an old rear end Aurora LN I was given as a gift by a friend years ago before it was clear it was a waste of money. I also have $5 store credit and 16k UEC whatever that is. Given I didnt pay for it originally, is there any way for me to extract any real world value from this garbage?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tippis posted:

Depends. They've said that definitely can't get them for later purchases, implying that you can for earlier ones, but in practice, they can't really decide that unilaterally without various laws and banking policies overriding it all, especially since they haven't actually delivered their product yet.

Their TOS is pretty much unenforceable with any asset that isn't in the game. Which is mostly the big ticket items. I think you will start to see a push to get these assets even brokenly into play somehow so that they can say they delivered a product to you.

For all of their posturing. You are buying a digital ship on their site. if the ship isn't in the game then their two weeks "grace" period is meaningless. Since any court will go with "two weeks from delivery" not two weeks from purchase date.

Now the fun part is them trying to claim that their "alpha" is a legitimate delivery of their product. Which again would never hold up in any proceeding since an alpha is not a finished product. And until a finished product is shipped to consumers they can talk all they want but they owe a refund to anyone requesting it.

No matter what their TOS says.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

they were my favorite Goldeneye gun :negative:

Wow dude, just wow. Lemme guess you're an only child?

Man but the 4p matches in my home were deadly, klobbs just didn't cut it

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

UGH can't b elieve this needs to be said in this dead gay comedy forum in the year of our lord two thousand and sixteen but guys doxxing is bad

And it happens here literally every hour, and triples every second, and you guys are just so weird and dumb

Haha I told those fuckos, hope the guys back over in the cool guys forum think I'm cool for saying that, lets go refresh and see what they ahve to say about that

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wow dude, just wow. Lemme guess you're an only child?

Man but the 4p matches in my home were deadly, klobbs just didn't cut it

Nah, it's even worse. I never had an N64, so I only got to play GoldenEye at my friend's house.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

AlternateAccount posted:

I have an old rear end Aurora LN I was given as a gift by a friend years ago before it was clear it was a waste of money. I also have $5 store credit and 16k UEC whatever that is. Given I didnt pay for it originally, is there any way for me to extract any real world value from this garbage?

The real answer is "maybe". If you don't have any of your own money in, it's less likely, but still possible.

The only way to find out for sure is to contact CIG for a refund, and press them on the issue if they try to deny you. Afterall, if somebody buys you a Christmas gift, they often come with gift receipts, and the recipient is usually entitled to refund, outside of evidence of monetary fraud or laundering.

Worst case scenario, you can have the purchases returned to the original buyer so they can get their money back.

16k UEC is, I think, $16. Plus the $5, and a ($45?) Aurora package. $66 back to somebody.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

XK posted:

The real answer is "maybe". If you don't have any of your own money in, it's less likely, but still possible.

The only way to find out for sure is to contact CIG for a refund, and press them on the issue if they try to deny you. Afterall, if somebody buys you a Christmas gift, they often come with gift receipts, and the recipient is usually entitled to refund, outside of evidence of monetary fraud or laundering.

Worst case scenario, you can have the purchases returned to the original buyer so they can get their money back.

16k UEC is, I think, $16. Plus the $5, and a ($45?) Aurora package. $66 back to somebody.

OK, might do. The friend might get pissed though, because he's still a true believer. Still convinced 2.6 is dropping this year.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

Their TOS is pretty much unenforceable with any asset that isn't in the game. Which is mostly the big ticket items. I think you will start to see a push to get these assets even brokenly into play somehow so that they can say they delivered a product to you.

For all of their posturing. You are buying a digital ship on their site. if the ship isn't in the game then their two weeks "grace" period is meaningless. Since any court will go with "two weeks from delivery" not two weeks from purchase date.

Now the fun part is them trying to claim that their "alpha" is a legitimate delivery of their product. Which again would never hold up in any proceeding since an alpha is not a finished product. And until a finished product is shipped to consumers they can talk all they want but they owe a refund to anyone requesting it.

No matter what their TOS says.

This. All of it.

Their TOS might as well be written on toilet paper as long as the game itself is in development. Until they finally announce that they've released a finished product they genuinely don't have a leg to stand on regarding refunds. I'd add that the assets being in the game might not actually help them at all. All of the ships on one of my accounts were in the game and "playable" and the ships on my other account were not and they didn't even try to make a stink about the difference when I went for my refund. Of course that could just be because they didn't want to deal with me, but I genuinely have a hard time seeing the defense of "Well I know they pledged for this ship for this giant epic space game and now they want a refund but the ship is there so they shouldn't get one" holding up in an argument.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

AlternateAccount posted:

OK, might do. The friend might get pissed though, because he's still a true believer. Still convinced 2.6 is dropping this year.

Be prepared to damage the friendship if you end up having to go the route of involving him in the refund/return process.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

AlternateAccount posted:

typically they won't refund you for the cost of a gift you were given, is my understanding. The 16k UEC might not have been purchased, they have occasionally just granted UEC to accounts for the purpose of buying guns in their online store or whatever. You could try and sell your poo poo on the grey market but good luck with that.

I know for a fact though that you can definitely send a gift back to the original sender, so worst case scenario you could tell your friend "I'm not that into it and I don't want you to have wasted money, so have your spaceship back."

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AlternateAccount posted:

If the account is an ORIFINAL BACKER thing you can maybe offload it to some idiot for paypal

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
if I get a refund I might get a hotas for elite and other VR sims (space/flight).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ArfJason posted:

i think its pretty badass how calling out people for being obsessive internet stalkers resulted in someone digging out real life pictures of me.

Stop doxxing yourself and then trying to blame it on others.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

XK posted:

FYAD really needs to relearn how to troll outside the forums. They lost all their trolls to Twitter and Reddit, and now they're a sad shell of what they used to be.

I've trolled online way too much, I get it. Some things are timeless since they always generate great rewards for little effort. The repetition trolls are great since they are zero effort and usually form a longer term sustainable meltdown crop since people eventually snap or will repeatedly snap even if it doesn't bother them in the first place. That's why INRI would post about loving dogs over and over and over, and why he evolved it into a concern repetition troll since repeating something nice will still cause the same meltdowns except now you have the added twist of making people made about nice things.

Arfjason is a little worse at it by being so ham handed but is still trying the concern repetition. I get that too. It's better than amateur level at least since it kinda works. It has people talking about it, some people believe it. It generates ammunition for the extension concern troll in QCS.

point is they are just constantly making GBS threads where they eat. They live on these forums too but their only goal is to take them apart poster by poster with an endlessly train of trolls. It's not hard to go to https://www.sonicautists.com and say "Hey guys, just want to remind you, the blue hedgehog isn't actually a person and doesn't have thoughts and feelings of his own. He is a video game character and not a real person."

But nope. Zero effort / Zero stakes / Zero point constant shitlording of their own habitat.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Is it literally just me left then?

I'm still in. I considered that money spent in early 2013, and I am not going to go digging around for it now. I gave CR some cash for his idea and said "let's see what you can do with it." I still want to see, although I think we all predict the result.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

TheLightPurges posted:

Ive got 5 dollars of skin in the game friend I'm riding this all the way down.

That's right, I'm in Dr. Strangelove style! WHOOOOOOOOOWEEEEEEE

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

typically they won't refund you for the cost of a gift you were given, is my understanding.

A court might have something to say about that, but, rare few people would go through the trouble of challenging that, for 2 digit cost actual gifts. People who purchased things on the grey market for hundreds, or thousands, whose ship transactions appear as gifts within CIG's database, is another issue entirely.

If any of this poo poo with ship trading and gifting ever ends up in a court of law, it will be a legal mess for CIG. What judge would want to give CIG the benefit of the doubt about trading around spaceship pictures on an unreleased game? It just sounds criminal right out of the gate.

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Well yesterday was a mixed bag. Got my refund deposited into my PayPal account and got a possible diagnosis of glaucoma. Have to go back for more tests, but I've had high eye pressure for years, but something they didn't like with the way the optic nerve looks or something. I'll find out more in a couple weeks when I go back in for more tests. Makes going ahead and getting a VR headset a bit higher on my priority list. Even if expensive and first gen and I know there will be better later. Better enjoy it now because there may come a day where I can't. Same with flying. Better enjoy the DA-40 while I can...

I work for an ophthalmologist. Couple things:

1) Glaucoma is common and almost always super easy to treat, with cheap eye drops.

2) Neglecting it *can* make you blind. (don't skip the tests and get your optic disc examined each year, let them be cautious)

If they Rx you some drops, please get the drops and take them regularly, you will likely have no problem until your eyes glaze over with cataracts from old age (then you can just pop in IOLs)

e: Sounds a bit snarky, but I am being straight up, way to many people neglect this simple treatment.

Oleyo fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 14, 2016

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

:vince:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Never, ever, in the history of forums was a post and an avatar combo so frikking out of sync.

:3:

Thanks!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Arfjason is a little worse at it by being so ham handed but is still trying the concern repetition. I get that too. It's better than amateur level at least since it kinda works. It has people talking about it, some people believe it. It generates ammunition for the extension concern troll in QCS.

It doesn't even kind of work here. It's only getting troll-antagonistic responses at this point. The only people who "believe" it are other FYAD posters.

A low level troll trying to troll a troll thread on their own forums is just sad. :smugdon:

I remember when FYAD would find a good target, and the rest of the forums would join in. Or, vice versa. Both situations happened regularly, and it was good fun. It was good fun because the responses of the target would be entertaining. The response from the target is the entire point of trolling.

If you just troll your own forum, which is largely versed in trolling, and your response is to be either largely ignored, or counter-trolled, what's the loving point?

FYAD posts in this thread are only attacking behavior that out performs their own insular group.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ripptide posted:

Caused by his thighs rubbing together......

Too damp.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBXqDtYgTpw

Also check out Chris' tan

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Oleyo posted:

I work for an ophthalmologist. Couple things:

1) Glaucoma is common and almost always super easy to treat, with cheap eye drops.

2) Neglecting it *can* make you blind. (don't skip the tests and get your optic disc examined each year, let them be cautious)

If they Rx you some drops, please get the drops and take them regularly, you will likely have no problem until your eyes glaze over with cataracts from old age (then you can just pop in IOLs)

e: Sounds a bit snarky, but I am being straight up, way to many people neglect this simple treatment.

Could just be an elevated risk factor too. Won't know until the full tests. I have suffered a decrease in vision since my last visit 3 years ago, but I went from 20/15 to 20/20 vision. And given I'm in my mid/late 30's not unusual.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MedicineHut posted:

Never, ever, in the history of forums was a post and an avatar combo so frikking out of sync.

:3:

Thanks!
Don't worry, it'll sync up a lot better in 3 months when she's sick of it and daddy throws it in the river with a tasteful brick and sackcloth motif lifejacket.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

XK posted:

It doesn't even kind of work here. It's only getting troll-antagonistic responses at this point. The only people who "believe" it are other FYAD posters.

A low level troll trying to troll a troll thread on their own forums is just sad. :smugdon:

I remember when FYAD would find a good target, and the rest of the forums would join in. Or, vice versa. Both situations happened regularly, and it was good fun. It was good fun because the responses of the target would be entertaining. The response from the target is the entire point of trolling.

If you just troll your own forum, which is largely versed in trolling, and your response is to be either largely ignored, or counter-trolled, what's the loving point?

FYAD posts in this thread are only attacking behavior that out performs their own insular group.

If you ever watched Community, in an episode Abed decides to make a movie about the bible.

Then the movie needs to be meta so he is making a movie about the making of a movie about the bible.

Then it needs to be more meta so he is making a movie where the guy who is making the movie about making a movie about the bible turns out to be jesus.

Then it needs to be even more meta so abed, the guy making the movie where the guy who is making the movie about making a movie about jesus turns out to be jesus, turns out to be jesus.

The third act of the episode was Abed realizing this was stupid and dumb and cancelling the whole thing. Unfortunately FYAD is stuck at the second act of this story where they are so meta they don't even understand it and internet forum life never makes them change in any way so they can just stay at that comfortable, incredibly stupid level of meta.

I'd say close FYAD down permanently and try and adapt these people to a regular forums experience, but people like FAU desperate for their validation are only going to enable them so we all have to put up with 6 level deep ironic shitposting that has no point in the first place.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Could just be an elevated risk factor too. Won't know until the full tests. I have suffered a decrease in vision since my last visit 3 years ago, but I went from 20/15 to 20/20 vision. And given I'm in my mid/late 30's not unusual.

I can vouch for the drops. My grandfather has had glaucoma forever and does the drops. He sees just fine and he's 94 now.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

TheAgent posted:

moma remember when you said if 2.6 didn't release this year you'd be worried about the project

lol

Only when his check bounces will he realize

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

tooterfish posted:

Don't worry, it'll sync up a lot better in 3 months when she's sick of it and daddy throws it in the river with a tasteful brick and sackcloth motif lifejacket.

Aaah. Much better, cheers

fake e: gently caress you!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
once you go four metas deep it becomes sincere again

time works the same way

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Definitely. Just want to say don't get worried about it, but make sure to follow up and take whatever they say to take, if it comes to it. :)

BTW Glaucoma will manifest as a loss in your field of vision, and not in your visual acuity, but you don't want to wait for that to happen. The can tell by looking at your optic disc, and weather it is cupped from the pressure (can just be that way normally though), so just be sure to keep an eye on it. It's one of the things that modern medicine thankfully treats easily and cheaply.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Everyone enjoying playing SM on the PTU?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Well yesterday was a mixed bag. Got my refund deposited into my PayPal account and got a possible diagnosis of glaucoma. Have to go back for more tests, but I've had high eye pressure for years, but something they didn't like with the way the optic nerve looks or something. I'll find out more in a couple weeks when I go back in for more tests. Makes going ahead and getting a VR headset a bit higher on my priority list. Even if expensive and first gen and I know there will be better later. Better enjoy it now because there may come a day where I can't. Same with flying. Better enjoy the DA-40 while I can...

Smoke your refund weed

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

TheLightPurges posted:

Everyone enjoying playing SM on the PTU?
its somehow more homoerotic than ffxv

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

So you're the second image result for a google search of "Beanie Baby Collector"?

hosed up if true...

This is one of the most pathetic things I've seen in a long time... and I follow this thread.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Fat Shat Sings posted:

If you ever watched Community, in an episode Abed decides to make a movie about the bible.

Then the movie needs to be meta so he is making a movie about the making of a movie about the bible.

Then it needs to be more meta so he is making a movie where the guy who is making the movie about making a movie about the bible turns out to be jesus.

Then it needs to be even more meta so abed, the guy making the movie where the guy who is making the movie about making a movie about jesus turns out to be jesus, turns out to be jesus.

The third act of the episode was Abed realizing this was stupid and dumb and cancelling the whole thing. Unfortunately FYAD is stuck at the second act of this story where they are so meta they don't even understand it and internet forum life never makes them change in any way so they can just stay at that comfortable, incredibly stupid level of meta.

I'd say close FYAD down permanently and try and adapt these people to a regular forums experience, but people like FAU desperate for their validation are only going to enable them so we all have to put up with 6 level deep ironic shitposting that has no point in the first place.

Laughing at a completely incompetent company with a $140 million in pre-orders just seems a much better topic than a few dozen people who may have bought $10 accounts on the same forums as yourself.

I'm not totally against us being laughed at, there is some stupid stuff that happens in here, like comparisons to episodes of Community.

FYAD should be on-board with exposing CIG's nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

typically they won't refund you for the cost of a gift you were given, is my understanding. The 16k UEC might not have been purchased, they have occasionally just granted UEC to accounts for the purpose of buying guns in their online store or whatever. You could try and sell your poo poo on the grey market but good luck with that.

I know for a fact though that you can definitely send a gift back to the original sender, so worst case scenario you could tell your friend "I'm not that into it and I don't want you to have wasted money, so have your spaceship back."

The specific term they used with me was assets that were gifted in excess of my amount spent, with an acknowledgement that I had the option to return anything in excess of that amount to the previous owner.