Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The sensor bar is not used in Skyward Sword.

When flying, you can only angle downward, not upward. Flick the remote downward to make the bird flap, gaining altitude, then tilt downward to dive, gaining speed, and level out to coast.

Edit: while I'm at it, remember that you steer using roll, not yaw.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

DanielCross posted:

Don't you need to waggle the Wiimote up and down to make the Loftwing flap to gain height? You can't just tilt the Wiimote upwards.

Bongo Bill posted:

When flying, you can only angle downward, not upward. Flick the remote downward to make the bird flap, gaining altitude, then tilt downward to dive, gaining speed, and level out to coast.

Edit: while I'm at it, remember that you steer using roll, not yaw.

:downs:

I wasn't flapping, I thought you just moved the controller around in 3D space the way you wanted the bird to go.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The controls generally work great, but are explained poorly.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
How the hell did you beat the Loftwing race-to-get-your-Link-clothes without knowing how to flap?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I had the exact same problem when I played SS. This is actually the game's fault completely: the explanation for how to fly the game gives you is blatantly false. To flap, flick your wrist like you're using a hammer.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

King of Foolians posted:

How the hell did you beat the Loftwing race-to-get-your-Link-clothes without knowing how to flap?

When I did this challenge I "won" on my very first attempt so my bird flying practice time was nominal. I got to the second temple and put it down for awhile at the save point right before the boss. I work a lot, six days a week, so I don't get much play time, probably an hour at most a week.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

The controls generally work great, but are explained poorly.

Thank you! For some reason, this is the exact thing I would have used to describe the Skyward Sword controls and could never quite hit on. The sailcloth dives, the Loftwings, the combat... All of it is actually quite good (provided you recalibrate every now and then), but the game doesn't explain it super well. If there's a flaw in the controls, it's that it's like the exercises from physical therapy - they seem really hard until somebody demonstrates them to you and then suddenly you feel like a complete moron.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Bongo Bill posted:

Wrong. Whenever you need to aim (bow, beetle, ect) it uses the sensor bar. Everything else he is correct though.

epsilon posted:

Am I sitting too close to the sensor bar? I'm directly in front of it but only like two feet away. Its set up like this because I have a studio apartment. Do I need to move the sensor bar further back and/or sit further away from it?

If your controls ever start wildly getsuring or getting stuck in corners, you might want to step back frim the sensor bar a bit.

Also for sword play, remember every motion is a slash. If you have your sword pointed down, but want to hit from the top up, swing down. If you try and bring your arm up to swing the wiimote down like a real sword, link will swing up, then down.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

Wrong. Whenever you need to aim (bow, beetle, ect) it uses the sensor bar. Everything else he is correct though.

Nah, you can reset the aiming in those cases with the down arrow. It's gyroscopic.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I haven't played SS because I have a feeling all of the motion control business will just get up my nose, based on my past preferences. Honestly, the only Wii game that was heavy on motion controls that I really liked was that boxing game that came with the Wii with a few other simple sport games; I dropped a few pounds of weight playing that. It was still dodgy detection, though, but this was granted before the Wii Motion+

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

JustJeff88 posted:

I haven't played SS because I have a feeling all of the motion control business will just get up my nose, based on my past preferences. Honestly, the only Wii game that was heavy on motion controls that I really liked was that boxing game that came with the Wii with a few other simple sport games; I dropped a few pounds of weight playing that. It was still dodgy detection, though, but this was granted before the Wii Motion+

You should, its a great game. One of my favorites. Control bitching is crazy overblown. Just flick the direction with no windup. Example, if you want to swipe right, flick from center to right. People move their arm way left to start a big arc across from left to right, but the do that fast and link wings left. Then they say the controls are broken because he swing the wrong way. The pace of fights is purposeful. don't be scared.

1. Its upgrade system is great and I wish it was in more Zelda games.
2. You have not experienced Groose. Which is bad for your Zeldaness.
3. It has some very cool bosses and areas that are unique.
4. Being the first Zelda it Still has a lot of ancient machinery that you experience more then ever. Meaning other Zeldas are post-post-post apocalypse
5. Shotgun slingshot. See 1.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I always thought the controls were much more wrist oriented than anything else, as if it's a gyro.....

I would play like a slug on the couch not moving any part of my body besides flicking my wrist around :iia:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

bef posted:

I always thought the controls were much more wrist oriented than anything else, as if it's a gyro.....

I would play like a slug on the couch not moving any part of my body besides flicking my wrist around :iia:

Exactly, if you try to run around swinging your toy lightsaber around, link flails about, then you can go online and whine about bad controls. It works great with smooth deliberate arm motions and even better with wrist flicks. Just don't wind up. Theres a dojo at the start where you can practice to your hearts content.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SeANMcBAY posted:

N64 OOT and MM still look like poo poo even with emulators but upscaled versions of the 3DS remakes will look really nice once 3DS emulation is a thing.

For those that don't know, it's kind of already here (It's a work in progress): https://citra-emu.org/

Here's a screen I just took from OOT 3D:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do we know where along the timeline Breath of the Wild will be? I guess we don't really have any details. I need to finish OoT and then I plan to go through the "hero is successful" timelines with the games I have. Which is everything except Four Swords + Hyrule Adventure. I need a new gamecube controller because I lost my wavebird so I can play Wind Waker. Not really interested in the defeated timeline. I'm trying to get into LttP but I just don't really like the gameboy or the NES games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Do we know where along the timeline Breath of the Wild will be? I guess we don't really have any details. I need to finish OoT and then I plan to go through the "hero is successful" timelines with the games I have. Which is everything except Four Swords + Hyrule Adventure. I need a new gamecube controller because I lost my wavebird so I can play Wind Waker. Not really interested in the defeated timeline. I'm trying to get into LttP but I just don't really like the gameboy or the NES games.

Best theory so far is some time after Windwaker. We've seen Koroks and bird people that may be the Rito.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Best theory so far is some time after Windwaker. We've seen Koroks and bird people that may be the Rito.

The land does become wild...land after Spirit Tracks where you can only get places by train. Interesting. Although now that im looking the timeline says that's a new continent discovered. I thought it was just so long the water went away, I guess They only sealed part of the world with water???

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

There are too many callbacks to multiple timelines so it's really hard to predict. IMO easiest fit is a new timeline OR they should bill it as "a Zelda story" without a timeline connection and not use the word reboot.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
its almost like the timeline was crafted mostly as a marketing push for skyward sword rather than a carefully maintained piece of lore

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Breath of the Wild will be yet another direct sequel to Ocarina of Time and it will contradict the other three.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

It would fit perfectly after the end of Skyward Sword, due to the ending and all. But if there are post Windwaker forced quick evolution species, those are distinct to that timeline.

Maybe pre-train technology spirit tracks continent.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

For those that don't know, it's kind of already here (It's a work in progress): https://citra-emu.org/

Here's a screen I just took from OOT 3D:

Isn't Citra a bitch to get up and running? I'd love to replay both titles in HD if it's not too hard but last I read up on Citra it required ripping a bunch of stuff from the 3DS and I'm too lazy to bother.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Suspicious Dish posted:

its almost like the timeline was crafted mostly as a marketing push for skyward sword rather than a carefully maintained piece of lore

I wasn't claiming the opposite? Not sure why your sarcasm is necessary.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

s.i.r.e. posted:

Isn't Citra a bitch to get up and running? I'd love to replay both titles in HD if it's not too hard but last I read up on Citra it required ripping a bunch of stuff from the 3DS and I'm too lazy to bother.

Not really. I got that up and running in 5 minutes to see if it worked before I posted. Download the Citra setup file, download/dump a decrypted 3ds rom, open it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

coffeecup posted:

I wasn't claiming the opposite? Not sure why your sarcasm is necessary.

If it was necessary it wouldn't be the least bit entertaining, which is precisely how entertaining it was. As opposed to your post which is just bad.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speaking as someone who figured out the timeline independently before they announced it, please don't care about the timeline. Some other games happened, before or after, and the version of them you were told previously may or may not have focused on the part that is relevant to the one you're playing now.

Breath of the Wild seems to slot in somewhere near or at the end. Which end? Doesn't matter.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of my most unpopular internet opinions is that the Timeline is sort of fun if you don't obsess about it too much, despite all of the obvious holes, half of which are in Four Swords Adventures.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Speaking as someone who figured out the timeline independently before they announced it, please don't care about the timeline.

See, like, I sort of feel like this is too harsh. It's okay to wonder and speculate about it. It's not some horrible cancer that will ruin your gameplay experience, unless you're some sort of obsessive person who stays up bleary eyed and argues with people while editing one of the wikis to support your latest theory or whatever.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

Not really. I got that up and running in 5 minutes to see if it worked before I posted. Download the Citra setup file, download/dump a decrypted 3ds rom, open it.

Fuckin' sweet, I'll have to mess with it then. Is there a program I can put on the 3DS to rip my digital downloaded games?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Link to the Past is in the fallen hero timeline but its direct sequel Link Between Worlds spells out the backstory as definitely being the adult link timeline.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's just fun to think of there being different time lines. Sorry if that makes you really mad.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Phimosissy posted:

If it was necessary it wouldn't be the least bit entertaining, which is precisely how entertaining it was. As opposed to your post which is just bad.

would you like to try that post again but in english this time

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Nah, you can reset the aiming in those cases with the down arrow. It's gyroscopic.

Skyward Sword can be played without the sensor bar after the initial calibration but it does use the bar to recalibrate the motion plus on the fly.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Phimosissy posted:

I'm so confused about what is happening here. This isn't PYF where every post must have comedy content. Normal, non-antagonistic conversation is good too.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

It's just fun to think of there being different time lines. Sorry if that makes you really mad.

Yeah, I think so.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

See, like, I sort of feel like this is too harsh. It's okay to wonder and speculate about it. It's not some horrible cancer that will ruin your gameplay experience, unless you're some sort of obsessive person who stays up bleary eyed and argues with people while editing one of the wikis to support your latest theory or whatever.

Well, I was addressing goons.

I'm actually really impressed at the approach they've taken to continuity, by creating a diegetic (if mystical) reason for the games to be so structurally similar while maintaining the desired grandeur, and using storytelling techniques that minimize or completely ignore inconvenient details of related stories, while bringing in allusions to them when it would enhance their current project.

Rather than trying to tell a unified, authoritative story-of-stories as some do, they adopt a tone of presenting liberal dramatizations of speculative interpretations of parts of an oral tradition inspired by canon. "Legend" and such.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like that. Each game is a story about what happened. It's not exactly correct because no story maintains its integrity when it gets passed down through time.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

It was pretty mind blowing to me in Wind Waker when Ganondorf basically admits that he is tired of fighting this same cyclical battle for eternity.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

s.i.r.e. posted:

Fuckin' sweet, I'll have to mess with it then. Is there a program I can put on the 3DS to rip my digital downloaded games?

I'm not 100% sure on digital games. I'd recommend asking in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759546

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

greatn posted:

Link to the Past is in the fallen hero timeline but its direct sequel Link Between Worlds spells out the backstory as definitely being the adult link timeline.

Wait, does it? I remember it referencing a previous Ganon invasion in the murals, but it seemed pretty clear that was LttP.