Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage

quote:

Patch Notes
Massacre mission counter no longer tallies skimmer kills per community feedback.
Massacre mission payouts adjusted to be more immersive.
Massacre mission counters no longer run concurrently. Instead, counters will be resolved sequentially. For example: Two missions requiring four kills each will now require a total of eight kills total, rather than four.

Are these real? I tried going through their patch note forum to find it before realizing that this was dumb, their forums were dumb, and everything is dumb. But if this is true, I'm probably not going to fly back out that way for a bit.

Not sure how it is more immersive for kill missions to run concurrently. "Hey, I killed 4 people like you told me too!" "Well sorry CMDR, but those ones didn't count because they were part of the 12 that the other guy told you to kill, so no paycheck for you." "Hey, I'm the third guy; when you gonna get to killing those 36 people I asked you to, you haven't even started, wtf?" That's... not immersive and that's not fun. Which is probably why they are doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
They are probably fake :ssh:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
It's a troll, but the content is p much what the brown sea desires. The bit about resolving counters sequentially was said by the devs to be something they can't solve easily, so they won't try for now.

The real nerf to missions, coming January, is the impossibility to reroll the board. Now everyone gets the same 40 missions total, 20 passenger ones, with the caveat that the missions won't be irrelevant to you.

Right now in the beta it's still a bit iffy what all of this means, but there's exactly a 20 missions/20 passenger split everywhere.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Chrysophylax posted:

The bit about resolving counters sequentially was said by the devs to be something they can't solve easily, so they won't try for now.
They could solve all their problems if they got rid of the "We're at war! Kill x guys!" missions entirely and just made conflict zones pay well. :v:

Chrysophylax posted:

Right now in the beta it's still a bit iffy what all of this means, but there's exactly a 20 missions/20 passenger split everywhere.
I'm guessing that's across all factions and the rank grind is now going to be even more interminable?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that 20 missions only is going to suck very much for some factions. Some places have tons of agents.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chrysophylax posted:

It's a troll, but the content is p much what the brown sea desires. The bit about resolving counters sequentially was said by the devs to be something they can't solve easily, so they won't try for now.

The real nerf to missions, coming January, is the impossibility to reroll the board. Now everyone gets the same 40 missions total, 20 passenger ones, with the caveat that the missions won't be irrelevant to you.

Oh joy :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Email just now about the chrome Cutter: "Bask in Style"

At least someone at Frontier knows their fans...

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Chrysophylax posted:

So 20 missions, and none will be locked for lack of cargo space, rep, etc. ? That could be somewhat helpful. What about the possibility of getting mining missions if my ship isn't equipped as a miner or combat missions when my ship is configured as a cargo hauler? Is their system smart enough to figure out that level of granularity?

Oh who am I kidding, I know it won't be "smart" about anything.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

sethimothy posted:

Are these real? I tried going through their patch note forum to find it before realizing that this was dumb, their forums were dumb, and everything is dumb. But if this is true, I'm probably not going to fly back out that way for a bit.

Not sure how it is more immersive for kill missions to run concurrently. "Hey, I killed 4 people like you told me too!" "Well sorry CMDR, but those ones didn't count because they were part of the 12 that the other guy told you to kill, so no paycheck for you." "Hey, I'm the third guy; when you gonna get to killing those 36 people I asked you to, you haven't even started, wtf?" That's... not immersive and that's not fun. Which is probably why they are doing it?

This thread has a long-standing tradition of facetious, fake patch notes, and for appreciating pleasant thermonuclear cascades. The sad thing is, the entitled shits who think Braben and co should let them and them alone dictate balance because they backed the game first would happily force the rest of us through those hoops with a nice side order of "as an '84er, gently caress you got mine :smug:"

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Chrome Cutter glamour shots:

http://m.imgur.com/a/ZX0ny

(Not mine but *checks notes* I could f*ck in that.)

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.
There's no wonder players are flocking to Draconis 17. I don't think players are greedy. Its just that it presents the possibility of playing the game, free from the one of the major grind elements and actually having fun with different ships and loadouts. There's already been talk of somehow stopping mission stacking, so Draconis 17 could be one of the last money grabs available. Poop hauling and others that came before all relied on this. I hope FDev takes notice and fills the gap, however I have little confidence this will happen.

There's a money scaling problem in the game. The top end ships are extremely expensive but their capacity to make money is not much better than much cheaper ships. For example I could maybe make 3 million an hour in my A-rated Anaconda res hunting but that presents a huge risk in terms of the re-buy cost. One misfire at local security forces (and this has happened to me) could cost me a 24 million re-buy which is around 8 hours of play. Meanwhile I could be almost as effective in a Viper, picking off targets already engaged by security forces without the worry of losing my ship. Lack of money scaling also means that should I want another top end ship such as the Corvette, I have the grind all over again as my Anaconda isn't going to get me there much faster.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That is very pretty and I'd put down 5bux for a similar look on a ship I actually fly.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
That chrome Cutter may inspire me to start my Empire grind. What's the latest broken exploit for Imperial rank?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

That chrome Cutter may inspire me to start my Empire grind. What's the latest broken exploit for Imperial rank?

Take something with cargo space (at least an AspE, but I'd recommend python or anaconda) to Aditi. Fit it with 8T of cargo space for mission rewards, and the rest passenger cabins. I recommend either 100% economy, or all economy with one big business class cabin. Do data delivery/passenger missions to Synuefe and back. Should be good to go.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It takes a loving age though, so pack a second monitor and a netflix subscription.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Oh they may actually get some money out of me. Just this one time.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh they may actually get some money out of me. Just this one time.

just needs a POV shot of R2 fixing the engine while they run the blockade at Naboo

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

We have a quorum. Official statement: We could gently caress in this.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Did one more round of missions at 17 Draconis, got like 40 million spacebux

:eyepop:

And I was only Friendly with them when I did this, if it's still available tomorrow I might get even better with a round of Allied level missions

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I'm not kidding when I said I made over a billion dollars out there over the course of a few days. Granted my combat rating is Deadly but still.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

hannibal posted:

This is a decent Reddit post on it but I'll write up a bit more detail, at least how I am doing it.

1. Dock at Paradiso Outpost as described on Reddit. I brought a Viper Mk IV with me (already had one) but you can buy one there. You can't buy missile launchers there, though, so you need to bring those with you or do module transfer. Note: you need dumbfire launchers. The Viper can fit 2x Class 2 launchers. Each launcher holds 60 missiles, which has been far more than enough for me so far. Other fittings on the Viper don't really matter, I have a chaff launcher just in case but other than that you can roll stock as far as I can tell.

2. At Paradiso you'll take massacre missions from Jet Bridge Inc. Switch modes (solo -> group -> open) to stack up to 20. The key here is that when you kill 1 ship, it will count for all your missions. You'll have a variety of counts - kill 4/8/12/20/etc ships (I've seen up to 72) and once you kill one group of skimmers (6) you'll complete that 4 mission, you'll be 6/8 on the 8 mission, and so on. The missions don't take you anywhere specific, you just need to kill ships from New 17 Draconis Alliance. Fortunately, the other settlement in system (Faraday Keep) belongs to that faction. That's why killing their skimmers counts, and the missions can't send you anywhere else because Paradiso and Faraday are the only settlements/stations in the system.

3. It's slightly faster to jump next door and back than take the warp to faradayOnce you get to Faraday, approach it from above with your hardpoints out. The way I do it is, come straight down until the skimmers pop, which seems to happen around 250m. There will be a puff of dust and 6 skimmers will appear. If you fire your missile volley (just one volley, of 2 missiles) just as the dust puffs, aiming right at the center of the camp, you can catch them all in one volley. If you're off to the side or you wait until they start flying around, you may miss 1 or 2. You have plenty of missiles though so just finish them off.

4. There will be a ship at the camp. It varies but I've seen the following: Eagle, Cobra, Vulture, FAS, Python and even a Corvette once. It doesn't really matter though, because you're going to combat log. What I do is, as soon as the skimmers blow up, I reverse my throttle, give it just a little bit (like 20-30) which flies me straight back up. I then hit the menu and wait for the 15 second timer to count down then log out. This usually puts me at around 300-400m above the surface when I come back.Stay right there. The ship may start shooting at you, but I've never lost more than a ring of shields (with 4 pips in sys). Nothing can kill you fast enough so don't worry about getting shot. Just make sure you are still floating, don't go out of control and hit the ground or anything. Almost happened to me before I figured this part out.

5. When you log back in, you'll be right where you left off, around 300m or so above the camp. Fly back down to 250m,As above, don't reverse or fly away just stay right where you are more skimmers will pop, kill them, repeat step 4.

6. When you've finished a mission, the timer will disappear from the entry in the Transactions tab on the left side. That's a quick way to see if you're done or not. When you are done, you simply need to self destruct.get in a high-speed ramming duel with the defender ship. Breaks up the monotony. That will let you rebuy at Paradiso (my rebuy was like 189k which is insignificant). Then you turn your missions in, and start all over.

A few more notes. At first if you're just friendly with Jet Bridge you'll get missions in the hundreds of thousands of credits. However it won't take long before you're allied (I think I did it in one session, with about 10 missions turned in) and then you'll start getting bigger ones. I think the biggest I've seen so far was 7m for killing 72 ships. Most are 2-3m or so. If you care about Fed rank you're getting that at the same time which is nice.

That's how I'm doing this, but if anyone has any improvements I'd love to hear them. I feel like it's pretty close to as fast as it can be done. The main thing that sucks is refreshing the missions so you can stack.

Only a couple minor adjustments, but honestly, there is zero reason not to milk the poo poo out of this before it goes. Hardly takes any time, and you will save yourself a ton of pain and about half an inch of nose flesh (grindstone). :getin:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

HJE-Cobra posted:

Did one more round of missions at 17 Draconis, got like 40 million spacebux

:eyepop:

And I was only Friendly with them when I did this, if it's still available tomorrow I might get even better with a round of Allied level missions

My best sorty so far was 55.5mil. At Expert, I'm getting 1% combat rep per 70ish skimmers squashed. Only ~1000 more skimmers until I hit the next combat rank.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Something different I'm doing this time around is that I'm not suiciding back to paradisio. Some missions give engineer commodities, including modular terminals, so I'm using a ship with enough cargo capacity to carry them all back to the bubble when this is all over. Last time draco went to war, I threw away enough modular terminals to unlock Qwent. This time I'm gonna make sure to keep all the mats for later use.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Worth noting that you also get combat rank (at least up to Expert) from the skimmers, since they count as ships. So your rewards should increase as well.

I noticed that sometimes the ship that's on the ground is like a master pilot flying an Eagle, and I figured it might be worth it to just blaze him and get some combat rank out of it. I don't know if it's a smart thing to do but I D-rated a python with 3 large MCs and 2 medium rocket launchers, and easily melt Eagles/Cobras/Vipers when I log back in. I still suicide (which is about 1.9m) after all my skimmer missions are done but that's not super expensive when you're turning in 40m worth of missions.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

King of Cheeses posted:

There's no wonder players are flocking to Draconis 17. I don't think players are greedy. Its just that it presents the possibility of playing the game, free from the one of the major grind elements and actually having fun with different ships and loadouts. There's already been talk of somehow stopping mission stacking, so Draconis 17 could be one of the last money grabs available. Poop hauling and others that came before all relied on this. I hope FDev takes notice and fills the gap, however I have little confidence this will happen.

There's a money scaling problem in the game. The top end ships are extremely expensive but their capacity to make money is not much better than much cheaper ships. For example I could maybe make 3 million an hour in my A-rated Anaconda res hunting but that presents a huge risk in terms of the re-buy cost. One misfire at local security forces (and this has happened to me) could cost me a 24 million re-buy which is around 8 hours of play. Meanwhile I could be almost as effective in a Viper, picking off targets already engaged by security forces without the worry of losing my ship. Lack of money scaling also means that should I want another top end ship such as the Corvette, I have the grind all over again as my Anaconda isn't going to get me there much faster.

And it's this grind that I think is a real deficiency of the game. I enjoy Elite for pretty pictures and chill space-flying, but I find it silly that getting to a single end-game ship w/out using an :airquote:exploit:airquote: like 17 Draconis or Sothis / Ceos before the nerf would take 1000 hours of play.

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Tip: Keep doing the 'Donate ... to the cause' missions for New 17 Draconis Alliance to get extra Fed rep but also help prolong the state of civil war by funding the other side.

Tip: As you're going to crash your ship to get back the station quicker, do it in Solo mode. You might get an audience. I did a spectacular dive and crash into the base right in front of 2 other players for laughs.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
poo poo. I have this game uninstalled and I'm at work - what are the chances of getting in on this Draconis 17 nonsense by the weekend?

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

poo poo. I have this game uninstalled and I'm at work - what are the chances of getting in on this Draconis 17 nonsense by the weekend?

No hard answers but I heard something about the state of civil was could possibly change between 3 to 8 days from when this started. Something about the background simulation update but I'm unsure. Obviously if a lot of players push for the same side, as of course they are, then eventually the civil war will be won and no more cash cow. I think 17 Draconis was a 'thing' before and recently reverted to civil war status so we could do it again. Then of course there's a possible update which may stop mission stacking (wtf).

sensitivepigeon
Dec 4, 2016

I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT IT, OK?
Looking for some advice on FDL builds. Currently running Multis and a huge beam lazer. I like them! But want opinions on weapon load outs, if you would be so kind, so I am prepared for CZ and Hazres and not in Babby's First Resource Extraction Site

I do not have horizons just yet! Will probably care about that in jan when they make it less of an agony.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I hope I get to do 17 Draconis on the weekend, since I won't be able to play until then :ohdear:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Is there a secret/trick to finding painite to mine? Trying to get the various engineer unlocks.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Search EDDB for prestine metallic rings. Equip a prospector drone controller and prospect until you find a rock with painite.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Search EDDB for prestine metallic rings. Equip a prospector drone controller and prospect until you find a rock with painite.

bah i was hoping there was a surefire trick, oh well. newly shiny and chrome mining barge away!

edit: whaddya know! second rock i shot was full of the stuff :woop:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 15, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Just go to Algol — your one-stop-shop for all your mining needs. :science:

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
I just tried to scan a frame shift wake to get data for Felicity Farseer but I'm getting a 'Data Full' message.

My data is, indeed, '500/500'. I can only assume my ship's HDD is full!

How do I empty my data so I can collect more?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mouko posted:

I just tried to scan a frame shift wake to get data for Felicity Farseer but I'm getting a 'Data Full' message.

My data is, indeed, '500/500'. I can only assume my ship's HDD is full!

How do I empty my data so I can collect more?

Click the item to discard and select the amount you want to delete.

I'd recommending cross-referencing against this (http://inara.cz/galaxy-components) because there's a bunch of things that don't currently have a use that are still in game because reasons :homebrew:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

quote:

mission stuff

There are 20 missions but not necessarily 20 missions you can take. They still aren't looking at your ship to see what you can do (apart from whether you have the relevant modules or not), but at least it's not 0/0.

The 20 are split between the factions so... yeah.

e: otoh exquisite focus crystals :unsmith:

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 15, 2016

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I spent an hour or whatever getting back out to 17 draconis and figured I might as well get more while the getting is good.

After like 5 rounds of board scumming and still not getting any good missions i hit 'exit to desktop' instead of 'exit to main menu.'

There really is no such thing as a good space ship game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

hakimashou posted:

I spent an hour or whatever getting back out to 17 draconis and figured I might as well get more while the getting is good.

After like 5 rounds of board scumming and still not getting any good missions i hit 'exit to desktop' instead of 'exit to main menu.'

There really is no such thing as a good space ship game.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

GAAAAAME!!

I find this really neat neutron highway — 4 stars in a row, 160–200 Ly apart, letting me clear about 750 Ly in just those four jumps. BAM! “Could not connect to matchmaking server” (while in solo). Get back in to find myself sent back 14 jumps before the first neutron star, over 1.2 kLy away.

I hate you, Braben, and everything you stand for! :argh: :argh: :argh:

At least it looks like all the system scans still are accounted for, so it'll be a quick re-tread without having to scan all those water worlds again, but still…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 15, 2016

• Locked thread