Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Ruf wheels? Anything else ruf? Very good

Legit Ruf wheels by OZ but nothing else by them. The OEM Turbo twists with tires and a set of Victor Lemans black/chrome wheels also came with it and general concensus today was 50/50 between calling the Ruf wheels grandpa wheels and the Victors being tacky. I love the Ruf wheels and want to wrap the car Ruf blue but my wife prefers the Victors and silver. We shall see. The car is stock other than the AWE 700R kit which is a comprehensive set of mods and a tune to get to 650hp on 92 and 700hp on race gas. I'm leaving it in stock mode because holy god it is terrifyingly fast. It's as much of a sleeper as a 996TT can be though because looking at the engine from the deck lid it's 100% stock and it's using the stock exhaust tips so the only hint is the slightly more aggressive exhaust at normal RPMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's a proper car. Nicely done.

(Now do an AWD burnout)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yeah that's sexy as gently caress. Good job man, and drat you for making me keep my eyes open more seriously for a 996TT now.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Jymmybob posted:

New ride acquired. Turns out having 2 SUVs, however fast, is not a replacement for a sports car.

Dang, cool.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
holy gently caress a 19k upgrade kit gets you to 700hp

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Friend just got their R34 GTR tuned, 260awkw. Surprisingly drives very similar to my old 33 GTST. Good bit of fun, though. Both cars need a clean :sigh:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Ugh, give me that

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jymmybob posted:

I love the Ruf wheels and want to wrap the car Ruf blue but my wife prefers the Victors and silver. We shall see.

I see so many silver ones about and while they're beautiful cars, silver is a boring colour for them so if I may do so, I vote Ruf blue. You'll snap more necks that way and snapping necks is cool :colbert:

fingerling posted:

Friend just got their R34 GTR tuned, 260awkw. Surprisingly drives very similar to my old 33 GTST. Good bit of fun, though. Both cars need a clean :sigh:

These are such handsome cars, there's an R34 GTST that lives on the next street over and I sometimes take a slightly longer route home simply to drive past and stare longingly at it.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

fingerling posted:

I love the square back end. Does your friend think he will go further with the power? I have 230awkw in a RWD 4door r34 and often struggle to get it down so its where I will keep it but I'm guessing the AWD negates a lot of that.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
I'm not sure the direction they're taking; I think it's more of an investment. To be honest the very little that I drove of it, reminded me a lot of the old R33. Obviously on boost was light-years different, but it was still good.
Have you got a shiftkit for your auto? I'm not really considering getting rid of the Chaser yet, but if I did it'd be for a shift-kitted JZS-171.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

fingerling posted:

I'm not sure the direction they're taking; I think it's more of an investment. To be honest the very little that I drove of it, reminded me a lot of the old R33. Obviously on boost was light-years different, but it was still good.
Have you got a shiftkit for your auto? I'm not really considering getting rid of the Chaser yet, but if I did it'd be for a shift-kitted JZS-171.

MV automatics shift kit went in about 6 months ago. I had a bit of trouble as the gearbox started overheating but moving the transmission cooler has sorted that for the most part. The shifts are good now and it chirps through second and will break traction sometimes when coming on boost in third which is a new sensation that totally didn't scare the ever long gently caress out of me when I was merging onto a motoroway.

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012
A year ago I got rid of my decrepit e36 M3 to buy a R56 Cooper S.
This is that R56.

Got it with 54k, now at 65k without a single problem. Went on a road trip and took it on the tail of the dragon and had a great time, drove 26 hours over a long weekend and it didn't miss a beat.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've never really read into the new Minis but the fact you have to state you never had an issue with them makes me think they're supposedly prone to killing themselves? I was at a track sprint day recently where a guy had a supercharged new Mini and after every run he'd park the car up with the bonnet open "just in case"

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I had an 04 mini for 8 years, no issues except driver's side window motor failing... many times.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was at a track sprint day recently where a guy had a supercharged new Mini and after every run he'd park the car up with the bonnet open "just in case"

Not unreasonable to cool off your supercharger, imo.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
They are basket cases but you can keep them running if you stay on top of poo poo and keep a pile of "just in case" parts like a BMW

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Not unreasonable to cool off your supercharger, imo.

After a 2 minute run?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Nodoze posted:

They are basket cases but you can keep them running if you stay on top of poo poo and keep a pile of "just in case" parts like a BMW

Ours started falling apart at 80k. Even after throwing ~$5k in parts at it, I'm still happy it was totaled by an old lady.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Olympic Mathlete posted:

After a 2 minute run?

Oh, is that how short a run is at a track sprint?
But yeah, I still opened up the hood to my supercharged Focus on hot days at autocross. Probably unnecessary, but it was a harmless as susperstitions go.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

the spyder posted:

Ours started falling apart at 80k. Even after throwing ~$5k in parts at it, I'm still happy it was totaled by an old lady.
80k? Congrats on making it that far.

I had an 08 and had to replace the water pump and thermostat at 47k. Per several shops I called, they either last 50k or forever. But 50k is considered normal. Oh, these two parts on on opposite sides of the engine, so it's not a single labor charge.

The turbo oil lines were replaced at 55k. Again, not an outlier.

Good thing my timing chain tensioner failure was detected early and under warranty. I know at least two people who had it fail out of warranty, necessitating engine replacement (one guy sold his to a salvager for 2k). There was a class action lawsuit about it, resulting in anyone with a failure being reimbursed for repairs, even if they were out of warranty and had the work done by an independent shop.

My high pressure fuel pump didn't fail, but enough of them did that the warranty was extended to 10 years/100k.

All that being said, I know plenty of people who bought another one despite having one or more of the issues above. Hell, I know a couple people who lemon lawed them, then got another.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

TheGoatTrick posted:

80k? Congrats on making it that far.

I had an 08 and had to replace the water pump and thermostat at 47k. Per several shops I called, they either last 50k or forever. But 50k is considered normal. Oh, these two parts on on opposite sides of the engine, so it's not a single labor charge.

The turbo oil lines were replaced at 55k. Again, not an outlier.

Good thing my timing chain tensioner failure was detected early and under warranty. I know at least two people who had it fail out of warranty, necessitating engine replacement (one guy sold his to a salvager for 2k). There was a class action lawsuit about it, resulting in anyone with a failure being reimbursed for repairs, even if they were out of warranty and had the work done by an independent shop.

My high pressure fuel pump didn't fail, but enough of them did that the warranty was extended to 10 years/100k.

All that being said, I know plenty of people who bought another one despite having one or more of the issues above. Hell, I know a couple people who lemon lawed them, then got another.

It's not easy to see but judging from the front end of Pancakes's Cooper S it looks like his has the N18 engine, which if he has then he shouldn't have huge amounts to worry about. As long as oil levels are checked regularly and kept topped up that is.

Although Pancakes, if it's never been done I strongly suggest you get your engine a walnut blasting decoke, it will do it a world of good.

As for me mine is an 07 (an 01/07 to be precise so it's probably one of the oldest of its kind still on the road) with the N14 engine which I picked up 3 years ago with 62500 on the clock and it just ticked over 90300 yesterday. Before I owned the car it had at various mileages:

New HPFP (original failed right out the factory)
New timing assembly (timing chain tensioner failing)
New clutch (under warranty which honestly surprises me)
New exhaust (unpleasant noise apparently)
New timing chain tensioner (2nd)
New thermostat

Since I've had it had:

New offside differential seal
Engine decoke via walnut shell blasting
New turbocharger oil feed pipe
New timing chain tensioner (3rd)
New coolant pump (GDCS)
New updated valve cover and ignition coils
New near side output shaft seal
New oil sump gasket/sealant

At present the only issue is an oil leak from the oil filter housing gasket which I'm waiting until the new year to get done, and will get any other seals/gaskets in the same area replaced at the same time whether they need it yet or not.

Moral of the story is if you want a Cooper S and it has the N14, make sure you buy a higher mileage one where everything that explodes has done so and been replaced.

Still, immensely fun to drive and have taken the old girl on many adventures, and next year a 2000 mile road trip is coming up where I'll be flinging her around the Deutsche Alpenstrasse.

+

Can't wait.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ludicro posted:

At present the only issue is an oil leak from the oil filter housing gasket which I'm waiting until the new year to get done, and will get any other seals/gaskets in the same area replaced at the same time whether they need it yet or not.

From discussions with shops who have done that job previously while sourcing the parts for it, replace the whole housing. Just a gasket replacement will still leak or will start to leak again shortly. Thus expends my specific knowledge of supercharged minis! Except the owner of the mini I was sourcing parts for loves that thing and pays through the nose to keep it on the road. We charged the shop around $250 for the part, god knows what they charged their customer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Oh, is that how short a run is at a track sprint?
But yeah, I still opened up the hood to my supercharged Focus on hot days at autocross. Probably unnecessary, but it was a harmless as susperstitions go.

This sprint track is pretty short and usually used for single laps, track record is 27 seconds but we rented it out and you did 2/3 laps in whatever configuration of track you could create out of the corners and crossovers, nobody was out for longer than a couple of minutes at best.

I guess he was just scared...

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
If its anything like autocross, Ive noted a lot lower intake temps if I leave the hood up between runs. A lot of heat soak otherwise.

Cat Pancakes
Apr 24, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I've never really read into the new Minis but the fact you have to state you never had an issue with them makes me think they're supposedly prone to killing themselves? I was at a track sprint day recently where a guy had a supercharged new Mini and after every run he'd park the car up with the bonnet open "just in case"

Before this I drove a 95 m3 with 180k miles and a 65 Falcon with stalling issues, for context. I usually have cars with... character.

Ludicro posted:

It's not easy to see but judging from the front end of Pancakes's Cooper S it looks like his has the N18 engine, which if he has then he shouldn't have huge amounts to worry about. As long as oil levels are checked regularly and kept topped up that is.

Although Pancakes, if it's never been done I strongly suggest you get your engine a walnut blasting decoke, it will do it a world of good.

It is infact an N18, and walnut blasting is definitely on my to do list. I check my oil fairly frequently, but I don't seem to have the oil consumption issues other r56 drivers have told me about.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Picked up yesterday. Didn't want to wait a few weeks for a a black one. Not sure how I'm feeling about white.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jealous Cow posted:

Picked up yesterday. Didn't want to wait a few weeks for a a black one. Not sure how I'm feeling about white.

Car choice [1-2-3-4-5]

Not waiting just a couple weeks for black [1-2-3-4-5]

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
White is great, especially when you want to be lazy and not wash it all the time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

White is the best car color.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Unless I move somewhere with no winter I'm never buying a black car again. I've given up on cleaning anything but the windows and lights.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Black cars are terrible. They're pretty right after washing them and then never again. I always vow to never own one, then find the car I want in black. :v:

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Too soon :)

Xeno fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 23, 2016

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Got another insurance scam on the go mate?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Jymmybob posted:

White is great, especially when you want to be lazy and not wash it all the time.

Pretty much this. You'll feel much better about it in a week when the car still looks clean.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Unless I move somewhere with no winter I'm never buying a black car again. I've given up on cleaning anything but the windows and lights.
Spoiler alert: It doesn't help :negative:

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Bape Culture posted:

Got another insurance scam on the go mate?

Pretty much.
Them scamming me, mind.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Xeno posted:

Too soon :)

drat, what'd I miss? I don't remember your last ride, but I do remember it as interesting in some way...

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Seminal Flu posted:

drat, what'd I miss? I don't remember your last ride, but I do remember it as interesting in some way...

Prison for running a fake insurance brokerage.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

If I ever need to hide money from an investigation I'll give you a shout. I assume that's how you buy a CLS so soon ;)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Xeno posted:

Prison for running a fake insurance brokerage.

:drat: How did being down treat you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Seminal Flu posted:

:drat: How did being down treat you?

It's not great. Then again, it's not like a movie. It's just boring: soul destroying boredom. You can't really describe the loss of losing your liberty until it's happened. Some days you might be in your cell for 23 hours, and that might be for 5 days straight. Lots of time to read and watch TV. Once I'd managed to get out of the A-cat high-security place I was initially sent to (long story), which was pretty poo poo but has some interesting characters, the C-cat was single en-suite cells, jobs to do to pass the time (Librarian).

I did 1 year of a 3 year sentence, then another 6 months on tag: it was a deserved punishment and I probably got off lightly. I would argue I didn't learn anything or rehabilitate in there, but in terms of future deterrent it has worked for me 100%. There are loads of people who don't mind, or actively love, being inside though and it really doesn't do anything to deter them.

Probably stories for elsewhere, anyhow.