Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This bath house mission was incredibly frustrating with all the civilians constantly freaking out over every move I make. Should I have just massacred them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007
I found the bath house mission manageable until I got to the actual bath house. Once I was there I spent a good 5 minutes just looking around and trying to figure out where the gaps were. You have to lean really heavily on Aiko's disguise and remember that unlit areas are OP. I also recommend heating the water once as a trial run, just so you can see what happens and plan your extraction accordingly.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if you beat up a civilian without alerting them they'll just go hide in a house after they wake up. it's not nice but hey i've got a mission to complete here

getting spotted by a civilian isn't the end of the world either since it doesn't raise an alarm on its own, most samurai just tell them to gently caress off, and regular guards are dumb as hell so picking them off while they're searching the area is often possible

Prav fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 15, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

also this is the best puzzle game i've played in a good while

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Despite my bitching, Shadow Tactics is really good. It's definitely the most polished game I've played in a long time. Sometimes I wish Shadow Mode would pause the game, but I love absolutely everything else about the mechanics, interface, and presentation. Why doesn't every stealth game have save reminders, or the option to take out guards and pick up their bodies as part of the same command?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

this game owns loving bones. can't recommend it hard enough

it's so polished, too. I couldn't help but be in awe that (playing with the japanese va) when you kill a guard distracted by Aiko with another team member, she will sometimes say 'sayonara' as the kill is happening. so good

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 15, 2016

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Also I almost missed this my first time but in the bath house mission you can swim around the back and take out the samurai there pretty easily and it's a way easier method of getting in than the hellish front way

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

If it's a map with Mugen i punch them in the face and throw them on a roof.

I would never have thought of doing this if you hadn't said it, but it makes life so much easier. When they wake up they just sit there sighing (seriously, zoom in on them).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Snidesworth posted:

Just finished what I assume to be the penultimate mission. How in the world are you meant to beat it without killing anyone? I managed it for a few segments, but there are some bits where it seems impossible, especially given how KOd guards wake up much faster than civilians.

I did it by getting on the green wagon. When the driver stops midway up the hill, you can get off, leave your package somewhere in the shadows there, then make your way towards the disguise on a clothesline just outside the main camp. You have to do a whole lot of waiting for everything to fall into place while holding on to guards to keep them down, ideally with drop commands queued up in Shadow Mode so you can go quickly when your window is open, and also so they'll wake up at the same time and not set off alarms by discovering each other. Underneath that clothesline and behind the drug bench, there are ledges where you can drop guards and get them out of the way permanently.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 16, 2016

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Really Pants posted:

I did it by getting on the green wagon. When the driver stops midway up the hill, you can get off, leave your package somewhere in the shadows there, then make your way towards the disguise on a clothesline just outside the main camp. You have to do a whole lot of waiting for everything to fall into place while holding on to guards to keep them down, ideally with drop commands queued up in Shadow Mode so you can go quickly when your window is open, and also so they'll wake up at the same time and not set off alarms by discovering each other. Underneath that clothesline and behind the drug bench, there are ledges where you can drop guards and get them out of the way permanently.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about mission nr 13, whereas you're talking about mission nr 12 (which I thought was really easy compared to the other missions in the last part).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Well that can't be right. Why would you ever not want to kill everyone and salt the earth in Mission 13?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Posting to say this is a good game. Also it would be cool if people continue marking solutions with spoiler tags.

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007
Finished the final mission this morning. Just had the tower ascent left to do. It felt like something of a treat after the first part of the mission, which took me a while to pick my way through. Not a pushover, but a few largely discrete little challenges. I also liked how you get a snippet of unique dialogue depending on who confronts the mission target.

A genuinely excellent game that came out of nowhere for me. It was completely off my radar until the RPS review, and the demo sold me on it completely. Maybe I'll actually try hiding in a cart when I inevitably replay it.

Has anyone tried hardcore difficulty? Does it require you to change the way you play, or just reduce the margin for error drastically?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Snidesworth posted:

Has anyone tried hardcore difficulty? Does it require you to change the way you play, or just reduce the margin for error drastically?

i've done two missions (2 and 11) on hardcore now and so far the difference isn't massive. you get spotted ~2x as fast so you have to actually respect view cones and can't do cheeky stuff like stab someone right at the edge of the cone and be done before you're spotted

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Regarding the end of the final mission: Is there any way to snipe Kage-sama without having to knock him out and toss him off the balcony first? It just felt a little lame compared to how the rest of the group can finish him.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I feel like I've been coddled by games for the past 15 years. I remember loving the poo poo out of Commandos and Desperados but this one is kicking my arse. Only on the first mission with snow and I can barely even think about how I'm going to steal this assholes key.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Only on the first mission with snow and I can barely even think about how I'm going to steal this assholes key.

snowflakes :3:

I think the north entrance is the easiest way. You can bypass a bunch of guards with the wagon and get Yuki right on to the roofs from there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This game is way too hard and I'm just playing as a beginner. Make easy easier, damnit :sigh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Where are you having trouble?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The map with the tall grasses where you have to rescue Mugen.

So many pairs of guards. Takuma only has so much ammo, and I don't see how Yuki can kill two at once. Am I supposed to avoid those parts until Mugen gets rescued?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

For the guards in the rice paddies: the lowest paddy has one roving guard, and one standing outside watching him. Find a good spot that's out of the second guard's view, place Yuki's trap, and use her bird whistle multiple times to draw the first guard into it. It's tough to kill two guards at once with just Yuki, so you have to carefully search out places where she can safely whistle-trap guards one by one. Hopefully that'll be enough to get you out into the rest of the map.

Unless you're going for certain badges, Takuma's shots are probably best saved for guards in watchtowers. Use his grenade to kill the samurai and three-man patrol in the middle of the map.

Are you using the matchlocks? If all else fails, a double matchlock shot queued up in Shadow Mode is a great way to just instantly delete any pair of guards.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 22, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Kuma is great and i recommend using him a lot. A tanuki! Are you hungry? -- last words of a lot of pixelmen

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That too. There are lots of places in Suganuma where it's not safe to send Yuki, but Kuma can pull a guard into bird's-voice range.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
baldur's gate plus metal gear solid? fukken lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Looks like a DLC soundtrack & artbook/strategy guide went up on the Steam Store recently.

We almost had evil space samurais on the moon :smith:

e: the guide is kind of crap, it's just the basic objectives with not much detail and no help for optional badges

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 23, 2016

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I've finished this, and it's brilliant.

There really needs to be a better motivator for learning how not to kill people, because I murdered just about everyone on every map and the game never once argued with it. I consider tattletale civilians to be valid targets. I tried knocking a few guys out once or twice but they kept waking up so Yuki had to slit their throats.

I don't think I ever played through the Commandos games, guess I'll give them a look-in. If I remember right the maps are 2D though, I'll miss the rotation.

I hope these guys knock out a bunch of sequels in different settings, it's a winning formula.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Really liked this game. Well polished, the addition of having 3 slots for quick saves was a really good addition. Regarding difficulty easier than the original Commandos but still challenging enough.

Only had some trouble with the last mission, couldn't find a way to not cause multiple alarms. Also killed pretty much all civilians since there's indeed no real reason not too and they'd alert guards otherwise.

Chadzok posted:

I don't think I ever played through the Commandos games, guess I'll give them a look-in. If I remember right the maps are 2D though, I'll miss the rotation.

Commandos 2 has camera rotation, but outdoors it rotates in a fixed angle instead of a full rotation.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Zadda posted:

Only had some trouble with the last mission, couldn't find a way to not cause multiple alarms. Also killed pretty much all civilians since there's indeed no real reason not too and they'd alert guards otherwise.

I wish there was a viable non-lethal option for taking out civilians instead of "punch them and have a character carry them around forever". In Desperados you could tie people up for example.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Usually if you knock out a civilian without alerting them, they'll run and hide in the nearest house(or won't come out of a house you toss their comatose body into)

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 23, 2016

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

in missions with mugen just throw the civilians somewhere unreachable, they'll sit there and sigh

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
This is genuinely a good game.

My only gripes tend to be odd/unclear map/mission design. Building layouts that make it literally necessary to keep rotating your map around while also giving move orders, that sort of thing.

Also this:

If you're having trouble parsing that, it's something like the fourth mission. Decided to hardcore it on my first run through after listening to the briefing, avoided all the 'objectives' and went straight for the target. Only brought Mugen up to where he was actually necessary, went through with Aiko for the rest with no disguise.

That's all well and good, I'm sure there would have been some way to get rid of that samurai, even if I couldn't find it in the time I had. However, guess what, the objectives list says that Mugen has to be the one to talk to Takuma. Mugen, who was literally at the start of the final stage, with no apparent way to actually get through without starting innumerable fights. I couldn't even find a way to bring Aiko back down from there.

10/10 would waste an hour on a failed attempt again.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
This game owns.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

TVTropes (I know, I know) says In the final mission, the Big Bad periodically watches a group of soldiers practice with their guns. Tossing Aiko's sneezing powder at one of the soldiers will make him accidentally shoot and kill the Big Bad..

When does he come down to visit the soldiers? Is this before he climbs to the top of his castle?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yes, it's before you get everyone into the wells. He'll walk back & forth from there; you're not on a time limit or anything, although it is a really good way to get the speedrun & no-kills badges.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 1, 2017

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
So today I figured out that Yuki's steps are silent even while running and that while dragging bodies she doesn't stand up. This makes a bunch of things so much simpler.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think the only noisy runners are Takuma, and Mugen while he's carrying something. Aiko doesn't stand up to drag bodies either.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Red Mike posted:

So today I figured out that Yuki's steps are silent even while running and that while dragging bodies she doesn't stand up. This makes a bunch of things so much simpler.

Holy poo poo. I knew about the body thing but being silent when running is crazy.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Really Pants posted:

I think the only noisy runners are Takuma, and Mugen while he's carrying something. Aiko doesn't stand up to drag bodies either.

You're right, but I think Mugen in general, not just while carrying. Couldn't check 'cause the mission I just played didn't have Mugen.

I also figured out that you can chain bird calls with Yuki, and on the second one the guard runs (making it harder for you to stay far enough away to not get detected.) which gives you so much more flexibility with traps.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Red Mike posted:

I also figured out that you can chain bird calls with Yuki, and on the second one the guard runs (making it harder for you to stay far enough away to not get detected.)

Not if you use it from a rooftop with no ladders. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Red Mike posted:

You're right, but I think Mugen in general, not just while carrying. Couldn't check 'cause the mission I just played didn't have Mugen.

I also figured out that you can chain bird calls with Yuki, and on the second one the guard runs (making it harder for you to stay far enough away to not get detected.) which gives you so much more flexibility with traps.

Mugen's movement is silent at all speeds, unless he's carrying a body. Mugen owns.

Fun trick: if you've got an obnoxious Straw Hat in a tough spot, give him a corpse to look at. He'll run up to it unlike any other distraction, and as long as you murder him before he gets adjacent to it, he'll never alert anyone or summon reinforcements.

• Locked thread