Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am pleasantly surprised that they listened to feedback about how annoying it was to have all the important blueprints be locked inside wrecks, that was really killing the fun of the game for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
They are still planning on removing terraforming but evidently are having some issues doing so or something so it got pushed back

I don't know more details, I'm not a dev. They have a trello, you can read it too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Could be that there's something else causing performance issues. Everyone expects the removal of terraforming to fix everything. If they put out an update where terraforming is gone and the game still runs poorly, a lot of people will get upset. While it would take a while to change how the map gets stored, one would think removing the actual terraforming bit would be straightforward. Find any references where something tries to modify the terrain and have it instead do nothing. They have probably been spending all these months nailing down other performance killers and just keep saying they are working on removing terraforming to manage people's expectations.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Lonos Oboe posted:

It's a pretty highly anticipated change as it will fix a hell of a lot of issues and probably mean that we won't have to restart every update.

Yeah, I'm not reinstalling Subnautica until that change is implemented, which is why I check in every update, and why I'm disappointed when the story is always "Whoops, next time around, mateys!" I love the game, and I don't mind that the 1.0 release keeps getting pushed back, but sweet jesus I want them to get to a point where every little update won't require a restart to get the full experience. Terraforming's been touted as the big roadblock for that functionality. It's not even a performance issue for me; I stopped using terraforming ages ago--as soon as the system's issues came to light--so I've never even experienced its crippling savegame bloat.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's early-access. :shrug:

At least they're moving in the right direction. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put a bunch of work into optimization when they're just going to have to do it again after they add a bunch of content between here and 1.0.

Latest Patch Notes:

quote:

Precursor Array & Base
Rising out of the ocean, a strange, large structure appears in Subnautica. We don't want to spoil the surprise, so we won't say much. There are two entrances to this area, both of which must be discovered by you, the explorer. Once inside, more mysteries await...

Ancient Artifacts
Other strange objects are hidden around the world, waiting to be uncovered. Regardless of where you go, keep your eyes peeled for additions, such as a Precursor Cache.

Cave Exploration
The island behind the Precursor Array is just as unusual. Be sure to spend some time exploring as much of this unique area as possible - You never know what you will stumble across.

Other Improvements
PDA can now be used while operating vehicles
Watch out, the world now has fall damage!
Continued work on optimization & stability improvements
Land-based movement improvements
Level design polish in Lost River & Floating Island biomes
HUD notification for radio messages
New PDA updates for distant Aurora wreckage
Extensive loot balancing for player progression (Read more) :siren:
Constructable improvements

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 15, 2016

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cojawfee posted:

Could be that there's something else causing performance issues. Everyone expects the removal of terraforming to fix everything. If they put out an update where terraforming is gone and the game still runs poorly, a lot of people will get upset. While it would take a while to change how the map gets stored, one would think removing the actual terraforming bit would be straightforward. Find any references where something tries to modify the terrain and have it instead do nothing. They have probably been spending all these months nailing down other performance killers and just keep saying they are working on removing terraforming to manage people's expectations.

But removing terraforming is entirely pointless without changing how the map is stored?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Met posted:

Latest Patch Notes:
Looks like it might be worth making a new world to see how the progression shakes out now. Although I'm curious by what they mean by "tech sites"...do they mean the wrecks or the islands?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

But removing terraforming is entirely pointless without changing how the map is stored?

Not entirely. How the map is stored is one thing but a major performance killer is when it starts getting modified and it starts taking longer to load.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The precursor stuff is pretty neat.

And potentially useful too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How's the wallpaper in the precursor base?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Luminous.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

One step forward

quote:

PDA can now be used while operating vehicles

two steps back

quote:

Watch out, the world now has fall damage!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Microcline posted:

One step forward

two steps back

Fall damage in a game where I still have to worry about suddenly clipping through an entire mountain. whoo.

I'm glad they at least apparently fixed base construction eating solar panels, that was particularly a bitch in the early game. Even if you are likely to have a bunch of lockers crammed full of titanium and quartz before you can make an MP room without just immediately bee lining for draw distance island.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 16, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did they ever include recharging the cyclops? Besides cheating by putting a powercell charger in the cyclops I mean.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't find the fall damage particularly deleterious, so long as you're careful it shouldn't be an issue.

One thing I did notice that may be an older feature, but the islands both now have a noticeable... distortion effect. They appear from range as a sort of consistent darker cloud on the horizon which doesn't track with the rest of the cloudscape, hard to spot unless you're looking, and as you move towards them, the sky distorts and the island comes into view.

I have a feeling it's supposed to be some kind of cloaking device.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 16, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I have a feeling it's supposed to be some kind of cloaking device.

Oh my god. I was joking when I called it the "Draw distance cloaking device" earlier in the thread :doh:

I really hope they do not literally go with "Oh, you can't see it because cloaking/Superman 64 fog" in order to skimp on being able to see at least a rough outline of the largest above sea level land mass in the game from the lifepod.

Unrelated wishlisting: That someday we get a UI tab on our PDAs to toggle visible beacons. I love dropping deployable beacons to mark stuff or as reminders, but in the end that gets pretty busy on the screen.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 16, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You can see the islands at a greater distance by looking up through the surface of the water. This is probably related to how you see the sky if you look up through the surface even when you're inside the Aurora.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Oh my god. I was joking when I called it the "Draw distance cloaking device" earlier in the thread :doh:

I really hope they do not literally go with "Oh, you can't see it because cloaking/Superman 64 fog" in order to skimp on being able to see at least a rough outline of the largest above sea level land mass in the game from the lifepod.

Unrelated wishlisting: That someday we get a UI tab on our PDAs to toggle visible beacons. I love dropping deployable beacons to mark stuff or as reminders, but in the end that gets pretty busy on the screen.

You can see them, they're a noticeable dark spot on the horizon, if it was just a draw distance thing they wouldn't have bothered putting the long distance effect in there I don't think.

I quite like it honestly, because if you could see the island you would immediately go to it which means you would immediately find all the stuff on it before doing anything else.

Which, well, doesn't really work with the exploration theme of the game. Like, if you see the island and the giant fuckoff alien space cannon sticking out of the side of it, that sort of spoils the initial pacing of the game, I think.

It also does kind of make quite a lot of sense once you find what is on both of the islands that they would have some kind of defence system.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Hows the popin with the new patch?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Met posted:

It's early-access. :shrug:

At least they're moving in the right direction. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to put a bunch of work into optimization when they're just going to have to do it again after they add a bunch of content between here and 1.0.

Latest Patch Notes:

Is this the weird thing on the Mountain Island that appeared like 2-3 months ago?

I'm guessing the weird PDAs I picked up in the Lost River one are the artifacts.

E: Also whoever asked about the devs should read the trello card in the post I quoted.

Dyz fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 16, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The new precursor stuff is very much more interesting to look at than the placeholder stuff they've had in there up to now.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Surprise Giraffe posted:

You sound like a character from The Wire.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Remember that one scene where McNulty and Bunk are examing a crime scene and the only dialogue is variations on the word "...gently caress."?

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

scuba school sucks posted:

Remember that one scene where McNulty and Bunk are examing a crime scene and the only dialogue is variations on the word "...gently caress."?

I want to do a lets play where all I say is "gently caress"

(Swims around Aurora wreck) "ffffffuck" :aaa:

(finds cyclops part) gently caress! :dance:

(attacked by Sea Reaper) "fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck" :yikes:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDF97Ebilps

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fuckin' ey.

I don't know how I feel about Subnautica becoming more game-y, but I'm totally willing to see where they go with it. Trello board mentions something about texturing a rocket.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Fall damage seems dumb.

Am I right in believing the mountain island is gone? I think I read somewherr it was getting replaced with the precursor island. Which kind of sucks, imo, i really liked those barren little fingers of rock as the only piece of land sticking above the sea, and first discovering them while exploring was one of the greatest feelings I had while playing the game.

Overall it seems to be moving further away from the exploration focused game i loved before. More sequence adhesion, more explicit gating, more grindy poo poo, more annoying mechanics that add nothing like fall damage, more hostile and more aggressive wildlife...

Maybe I have just played too long now and this isnt accurate, but it feel like the game has just largely... lost its chill, i guess.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Fall damage seems dumb.

Am I right in believing the mountain island is gone? I think I read somewherr it was getting replaced with the precursor island. Which kind of sucks, imo, i really liked those barren little fingers of rock as the only piece of land sticking above the sea, and first discovering them while exploring was one of the greatest feelings I had while playing the game.

Overall it seems to be moving further away from the exploration focused game i loved before. More sequence adhesion, more explicit gating, more grindy poo poo, more annoying mechanics that add nothing like fall damage, more hostile and more aggressive wildlife...

Maybe I have just played too long now and this isnt accurate, but it feel like the game has just largely... lost its chill, i guess.

The mountain island is the precursor island, the facility is built into it.

If you like exploring then the new patch adds some neat stuff to find.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

OwlFancier posted:

The mountain island is the precursor island, the facility is built into it.

If you like exploring then the new patch adds some neat stuff to find.

Yes that is what i said they replaced the mountain island with the precursor island. If they had added a new precursor island that would have been different, it is losing the mountain island that I am not a fan of.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 17, 2016

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
The island haze/cloaking would not bug me so much if you couldn't see the loving sunset through it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plek posted:

The island haze/cloaking would not bug me so much if you couldn't see the loving sunset through it.

You can see the sky on the other side through it too though? It wouldn't be a very good cloaking device if you couldn't.

GlyphGryph posted:

Yes that is what i said they replaced the mountain island with the precursor island. If they had added a new precursor island that would have been different, it is losing the mountain island that I am not a fan of.

It's the same island, it just has more stuff in it and a base on the side of it. It would probably make a good place for a base in all honesty, what with being the teleporter hub.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

It is no longer the same island in any sense that matters to me

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Was there anything useful there in the first place? A bunch of those stupid spider things. A useless cave. Not much else.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Was there anything useful there in the first place? A bunch of those stupid spider things. A useless cave. Not much else.

Yeah, that's the point. It was a unique natural feature with unique life forms (those birds) and cool towers to climb and felt like this little niche of surface life desperately clinging to a few isolated fingers of rock poking above the water with no greater purpose. It was cool and evocative and thematic and that was all.

Now it's just the place where the plot important alien facility lives, that you will probably uncover when the game directs you to go there. It no longer exists as an opportunity to discover something surprising on the planet your own, now it's just another stop on the theme park ride. Now it's boring.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Fall damage seems dumb.

Fall damage is like hardcore modes in that it's trivial to implement so it ends up in every game regardless of whether it's a good idea. There are games that make fall damage a fun mechanic (Just Cause 2) but most of the time it's just a nuisance that discourages exploration.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I saw exactly one place in the game where fall damage could even realistically trigger and it definitely would not have improved my experience with that place

Every first person game I can think of that threw away fall damage (borderlands 2, shadow warrior 2, etc) was vastly better off for it

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
I took a bit of fall damage when I clipped through my Cyclops and fell to the ocean floor.

It was too far up for me to jump back in.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Without the mountain I guess the only place fall damage matters is the floating island where it will now be especially annoying to get off.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

BrainMeats posted:

I took a bit of fall damage when I clipped through my Cyclops and fell to the ocean floor.

It was too far up for me to jump back in.

Wait...the falling damage applies underwater?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Wait...the falling damage applies underwater?

Only when the game bugs out. It thought I was still walking, and not swimming. I jogged around the ocean floor for a bit until something knocked me back into swim mode.