Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Why would anyone sign a 31 year old average-ish relief pitcher to a guaranteed 3 year deal??

Was willing to pitch in Colorado, I imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gotta pay the Coors Tax

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Craig Sager passed away.

:cry: goddamnit, gently caress you cancer.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mike Dunn is gonna give up like 2.5 HR/9 in Colorado.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/809507850212896768

Sounds like it's roughly a $6.1 million AAV, which could end up being an incredible steal by the end of it. Also two club option years for 2022 and 2023. I like it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wow that seems like a total steal for the Phillies.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Just once I want to see a legit ace (Kershaw, Thor, Sale, etc - a pitcher with elite stuff and plus command) get traded to Colorado. Just to see how they would do. It would have to be a trade since no one like that is going to sign with the Rockies of their own free will. I want to know if Coors Field is defeatable.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
2010 Ubaldo was pretty good. But yea, would be cool to see that happen.

Kershaw has 103 innings at Coors and has a 4.63 ERA and a 1.301 WHIP. :lol:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

2010 Ubaldo was pretty good. But yea, would be cool to see that happen.

Kershaw has 103 innings at Coors and has a 4.63 ERA and a 1.301 WHIP. :lol:
Digging into it a bit, his K/9 is lower there (9.1 vs 9.8 career), BB/9 is higher (3.0 vs 2.4), HR/9 a LOT higher (1.1 vs 0.5), and H/9 a good deal higher too (8.7 vs 6.6).

Coors is tough.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Has there been any real look by fangraphs/etc into what style of pitching tends to perform best in Coors? Or at least something a bit more complex then "try to get ground balls?"

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Coors ain't poo poo for Kenta Maeda.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Seems like the current theory is that straight up heat is the least impacted by Coors. A high spin fastball won't "rise" as much there but 100 mph is hard to catch up to regardless of the air density (and in fact pitches lose less velocity between release and the plate at Coors than at sea level). Breaking pitches will tend to break less which is always problematic, and the discrepancy in break between Coors and other parks is a potential source of command issues. So a pitcher with a hard fastball and maybe a good change with a big velocity difference might be least impacted by Coors?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 16, 2016

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sydin posted:

Has there been any real look by fangraphs/etc into what style of pitching tends to perform best in Coors? Or at least something a bit more complex then "try to get ground balls?"

A pitcher who can hit home runs.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I faintly hope the Jays are in on Ziegler. I forgot to call him "Bad Ziegler" when he was with the Red Sox and I want that opportunity again.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Seems like the current theory is that straight up heat is the least impacted by Coors. A high spin fastball won't "rise" as much there but 100 mph is hard to catch up to regardless of the air density (and in fact pitches lose less velocity between release and the plate at Coors than at sea level). Breaking pitches will tend to break less which is always problematic, and the discrepancy in break between Coors and other parks is a potential source of command issues. So a pitcher with a hard fastball and maybe a good change with a big velocity difference might be least impacted by Coors?

I figure heat and good command would play real well there (along with everywhere else.) Use location to generate weak contact.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ice To Meet You posted:

A pitcher who can hit home runs.

Confirmed Colorado needs to sign Otani.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

bawfuls posted:

The team is building their pitching staff around "getting guys to swing and miss with power pitchers >>>> letting guys make soft contact with groundball pitchers" Hitters making contact is always going to be worse in Denver than anywhere else. Pitching staffs from 07/09/10 were the best the team had ever had up until that point. But Dan O'dowd built them around guys like Cook/Francis/Marquis/De La Rosa/Chacin that were successful groundball pitchers and were best at trying to get guys out with weak contact instead of being power pitchers.

There were a few outliers, Ubaldo's 2010 year is the example of what Bridich is trying to do with the starting pitching. De La Rosa and Chacin each also had a year or two where they fit that mold as well. I still believe that Ubaldo could have had at least a few more seasons like 2010 if Jim Tracy didn't do things to him like run him out in the 6th inning when he's already thrown 110+ pitches in May, on a day he was vomiting.

Trying to force guys into that groundball style of pitching who don't actually pitch like that, likely wrecked a few guys as well. A guy that has been successful enough to get on a major league roster has pitched a certain way his entire life, and you're going to force him to change because of his home park? That's ridiculous. Just let the guy pitch. At least they've stopped loving around doing that poo poo.

Gray/Hoffman/Anderson/Bettis/Chatwood, with what they have coming up with Marquez/Pint/Almonte/Senzatela/Freeland all have good fastballs and control (most of the time). They now are the complete opposite of those softer throwing groundball pitchers. The starters coming up now are significantly better than anything the organization has had in the past. We'll see how the next few years go.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 16, 2016

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

https://twitter.com/Phillies/status/809507850212896768

Sounds like it's roughly a $6.1 million AAV, which could end up being an incredible steal by the end of it. Also two club option years for 2022 and 2023. I like it.

I guess the lesson is, if the Phillies Rule 5 a center fielder from your team, he's going to be pretty good.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/victosh01.shtml

They also recently picked Ender Inciarte before returning him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's that time of the offseason where I start getting a little stir crazy and think about what silly rules would be fun in a baseball game.

These are ones I haven't thought of before:
1)Add ringouts to baseball. If a player goes over the fence or wall to make a catch, they are out of the game and no one can come in to fill his position, though obviously the remaining 8 players may position themselves however they like.. You must keep >50% of your body over the playing surface not to be out.
2)Managers must DH during the 7th inning.
3)Every time any player on the field touches their balls, a ball is called for the hitter at the plate.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

tadashi posted:

I guess the lesson is, if the Phillies Rule 5 a center fielder from your team, he's going to be pretty good.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/victosh01.shtml

They also recently picked Ender Inciarte before returning him.

Herrera wasn't even a center-fielder in the minors, he played mostly 2B along with a bit of SS. The Phillies moved him to CF when he jumped to the majors.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I always thought some kind of 'arena baseball' would be pretty cool for minor leaguers and and independent ballers to play in the offseason

stuff like aluminum bats, high walls and extremely odd field dimensions, a designated fielder, home run derby to decide games after 12 innings etc.

just goofy stuff like that, i guess you'd have to play it exclusively indoors but idk i'd watch the hell out of it

NiceGuy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 16, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
How about just a pitcher has to face a minimum of three batters before getting relieved, that would be fantastic.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

NiceGuy posted:

I always thought some kind of 'arena baseball' would be pretty cool for minor leaguers and and independent ballers to play in the offseason

stuff like aluminum bats, high walls and extremely odd field dimensions, a designated fielder, home run derby to decide games after 12 innings etc.

just goofy stuff stuff like that, i guess you'd have to play it exclusively indoors but idk i'd watch the hell out of it

I love the idea but I can't imagine giving pros aluminum bats wont end up with a few pitchers dead from headshots.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
how about a team has to have no more than 9 active players at once

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Replace umpires with robots. Give all the players metal bats to allow for massive dingers. But to keep scoring from getting out of control also cover up the crowd everywhere but center field, so that the ball is still in play unless hit to the uncovered spots. Foul territory no longer exists once you pass first and third base, but if a ball ever lands in foul territory it is foul no matter what. Teams are allowed to build robots that can hit or pitch. Encourage showboating by paying players for doing cool stuff, but also fine them for doing dumb stuff. Allow them to use that money to buy body armor that they can wear during the game.

Also place land mines on the field.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

NiceGuy posted:

just goofy stuff stuff like that, i guess you'd have to play it exclusively indoors but idk i'd watch the hell out of it

IcePhoenix posted:

Replace umpires with robots. Give all the players metal bats to allow for massive dingers. But to keep scoring from getting out of control also cover up the crowd everywhere but center field, so that the ball is still in play unless hit to the uncovered spots. Foul territory no longer exists once you pass first and third base, but if a ball ever lands in foul territory it is foul no matter what. Teams are allowed to build robots that can hit or pitch. Encourage showboating by paying players for doing cool stuff, but also fine them for doing dumb stuff. Allow them to use that money to buy body armor that they can wear during the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvmT6BjrFdQ

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:thejoke:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

NiceGuy posted:

On the football train of thought, it would be cool to split the position players into offense/defense and have players who only field and players who only hit.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

IcePhoenix posted:

You forgot the jump pads, ball traps, and jetpacks. Now I want to go home and play my copy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

tadashi posted:

On the football train of thought, it would be cool to split the position players into offense/defense and have players who only field and players who only hit.

I'm the guy who only plays outfield and drops a popup, the only play I get all game.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Hunter Thompson had a few ideas on improving baseball.

http://proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?id=860846

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/bryanhoch/status/809796169803190272

You won the World Series with the Chicgo loving Cubs and have just made a guaranteed $86 million. You were used in the way the manager deemed best to win. Shut the hell up, Chapman

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 16, 2016

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

will_colorado posted:

You won the World Series with the Chicgo loving Cubs and have just made a guaranteed $86 million. You were used in the way the manager deemed best to win. Shut the hell up, Chapman

A lot of Cubs fans disagree with how he was used as well. :v:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
A part of me wishes Maddon permanently broke him

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
happy holidays

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

2016 may not be done with us, yet, as Rod Carew is having heart transplant surgery.

Bob James posted:

Hunter Thompson had a few ideas on improving baseball.

http://proxy.espn.com/espn/page2/story?id=860846

I didn't know this existed and it's goddamn amazing.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

will_colorado posted:

Sometimes what's best for the team is not whats best for an individual player

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

elentar posted:

happy holidays

So it's a Boxing Helena inspired Buster Posey doll?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

will_colorado posted:

He's not wrong though?

Like Maddon completely botched his usage in the playoffs and got bailed out hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

I hear that flags fly for a pretty long time

• Locked thread