Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Freak: 0 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: +2 | Superior: 0 | Menace: +2
Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Driving through the streets of DOOM very UNSAFELY

Whisperwind's eyes opened in surprise as he spied a little something on his rearview mirror. Well, at least it was taking aim at the people who were not him or his girlfr-

Nevermind that. Crap.

"Haha", the comms crackled.

"Wow. Like I know you don't like me Bee-Pee, but I didn't know you hate me so much that it would stick to what I assume is some sort of eviler robot clone of you. That's some transcendental hate right there."

"Haha."

"Seriously though. If any of you techies can get any info on that thing's origin let me know okay? I don't have many ideas on why it hates me in particular but I do have one."

And then he was off, speeding and swerving as fast as he could, using his powers to make the other motorists on the road give him right of way for whatever reason he could come up with. Sure, it was difficult influencing so many in such rapid succession, but the concentration it required at least helped him take his mind of other things.

quote:

Theantero: WW, Abscond from the even-eviler-than-normal, even-robotier-than-normal clone of BP! (+1 from Agenda)
Theantero: !r 2d6+3
Krysmbot: Theantero, 4+3 = 7

As my Abscond pick, I clear my Insecure as WW is too busy thinking about not dying to worry about interpersonal issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Freak: +3 | Danger: +2 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: -1 | Menace: +0
Curses! 4/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry, Paranoid | Location: The Killdozer

Naomi couldn't help but chuckle at the absurdity of Prisma's situation, "You know, you really shouldn't try to eat that. It's a universal adhesive compound. Proprietary tech, of course, and I do happen to be in the possession of the appropriate solvent. I might be convinced to remove it... for the right price. Though, if you really wanted to wait, it'd only take Prismatech the better part of a decade to catch up with our research." She grinned and then ruffled Prisma's hair with a giant metal hand. "Don't worry, you weirdo. I'm not going to rescue you from getting experimented on in a secret lab and then kill you. Take you to a different secret lab, maybe, but I have standards." Outside of the obvious security concerns, that actually did sound like fun. Wasn't Prisma one of the few who could appreciate the genius of her team?

The moment she mentioned standards, Whisperwind's eye-searing vehicle crossed through the corner of her sensors. Breaking Point vibrated for a moment, not even sure herself whether it was anger at Anarchy's boyfriend or simulated pain from the color of the vehicle. Either way, the affront would not stand. She routed power to her communicators and barely managed to open a channel to the rapidly fleeing villain. Breaking Point said, in an unusually inexpressive monotone, "Is that your game this time? Finding the absolute worst-looking car in the fleet and stealing it? Mission accomplished. It would be nice if you dedicated that same level of effort to our team's stated objectives."

Breaking Point accuses Whisperwind of having the agenda: Steal the most garish car in the mansion.

Naomi shook her head and looked back out to where BP-X floated in the sky. She should be out there fighting it, but the damage was too severe. She doubted that she had much more than one volley left in her. It would have to be decisive. Despite the sad lack of her usual tactical projections, she focused in on the familiar figure and tried to manually analyze it. The construction and weaponry seemed largely the same, outside of the obvious nano-bot swarm underpinning the whole mess. Wait, the weaponry was the same? That would mean...

Naomi swapped to the team's channel and broadcasted, "That thing copied my distortion rounds! Do not, under any circumstances, let one of those hit you. They aren't even out of the testing cycle yet -- effects in the lab have been... unpredictable."

quote:

[06:39:40] <Tricky> BP assesses her eviler nano-doppleganger
[06:39:43] <Tricky> !r 2d6-3
[06:39:44] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 6-3 =
[06:40:00] <Tricky> curses!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Curses!: 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Driving through the streets of DOOM very UNSAFELY

"Thanks for the tactical brief."

"I'll add 'don't get hit by bullets' onto my list of mission objectives."

"Haha."

There's a moment of radio silence.

"Also, you sound mighty self-righteous with your whole 'be helpful' thing for someone who just moments ago released a murderous killbot on the team. Me taking a sweet ride with me kinda pales on comparison don't you think? So chop chop and fix your own mistakes instead of trying to deflect blame."

quote:

Theantero: WW, Cow BP to fix this goddamn killerbot problem that I note SHE CAUSED and not me
Theantero: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 4+2 = 6

Curse your stubborn pride, BP!

But anyway, with that I advance again.

I was thinking Watch the Birdie:
When you distract someone, add make them vulnerable to one of your choices, and take +1 forward to exploit weakness on someone you have distracted this scene.

However, it is a Crook move, so if Deltasquid wants dibs on that, I'll take something else.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Breaking Point laughed, "Oh, sure, just because our mysterious nemesis can recognize which member of this team is actually competent and worth copying, it's my fault? Classic. You do realize that Phantom was there too? But you know what? Fine. You want me to take care of it? I will. You, however, are going to need to draw it's fire and lure it to the following coordinates away from our prize." She transmitted a burst of information, indicating a relatively open spot in a nearby park.

quote:

[10:39:19] <Tricky> BP provokes Whisperwind
[10:39:20] <Tricky> !r 2d6
[10:39:24] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 10 =

+Plan if you do it, mark a condition if you don't.

The plan with the greatest chance of success would require her to embrace some measure of risk. If she was able to launch one of her distortion rounds into that of the doppleganger at close enough range, it should rip a hole in time and space. The suction power created by the void should be able to suck in and eliminate the nanobot swarm.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Driving through the streets of DOOM very UNSAFELY

"Haha."

"Right. I don't recall Phantom being the one plugged into the wall back there."

"The deflection. You're doing it again. By trying to cast doubt into someone who it couldn't have been. By obfuscating with obvious points about who the thing looks like."

"All of that is irrelevant and you know it. All that matters is that you, yes you, released a killbot on the team. And nothing will change that. Stop denying it."

"Just admit to the lovely thing you did."

"Haha."

"As for your plan? You know what? Fine."

"But you'll owe me."

It was good to have people in something resembling debt, after all, and Whisperwind could always just teleport away if the situation became untenable. And if BP was trying to set him up? Well, it would just prove him right. A win-win, all things considered.

quote:

Theantero: WW! Use Known Unknown!
Krysmbot: Theantero, 7+2 = 9

BP's Provoke is reduced to an 8, she keeps the 'give the person a condition if they don't do what you say' thing as confirmed in IRC.

I take Influence over BP on the fluff of going along with her plans. As for the Provoke, WW goes along with it and goes to the coordinates.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 15, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Fre: +0 | Dan: +2 | Tro: +1 | Sup: -2 | Men: +2
Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: Paranoid

Netherwrath knocked her hand against the stolen van twice. "Get out of here, stat. I'll catch up with you, just gonna have me some fun." She took a few half-jogging steps towards the flying nano-swarm, flexing a little as she went. Her powers kicked in as expected, rotting the cheap synthetic Blue Manchurian uniform right off her body, leaving her (far more resilient) walking around look. Netherwrath had arrived, and like gently caress she was gonna be upstaged by a robot, whether it was several stories tall and garishly painted, or an angry swarm of cutting edge nanobots. Fortunately, she saw one way to solve that! She broke into a run.

"Distortion rounds? I'm guessing that's the one that hurts to look straight at? Imma get me some of that, rest of you just stay out of my way." She whistled for Mongo, but even he'd take a minute or two to get here. With a couple of superpowered leaps, she bypassed the street level and started gathering momentum on the rooftops. With her absurd strength, it didn't take long to get up a huge head of steam. She closed the distance between her and BP-X frightening quickly, closing the last dozen meters or so with a running leap off a rooftop that left a circular crater where she'd launched.

Netherwrath hit BP-X like a military-grade cruise missile. The impact alone would have liquefied an ordinary human, but Netherwrath immediately started grabbing as BP-X tried to stabilise its flight, running through a wild series of aerobatics in a determined attempt to shake her. Finally, the nano-swarm scraped her off on a nearby building, but not before Netherwrath had torn off a chunk of the nano-swarm's frame.

She got to her feet and smiled. The distortion launcher was smaller than you'd assume a prototype that breaks the universe would be; it was about the size of a man's forearm, and the barrel was so heavily shielded by energy barriers and containment fields it was impossible to look directly at. Fortunately, it was still a gun, and it didn't take her long to find the manual operation switch. Netherwrath laughed, not realising she'd inadvertently activated her audio override device, so rather than merely making a grandiose boast over the radio to her teammates, she was broadcasting a threat to every television, radio, and unshielded speaker system in a mile radius. "Muthafucking Netherwrath has the distortion launcher now, bitches! Imma gonna put a hole in the goddamn MOON!!!"

Directly Engaging the enemy. +Danger, +1 forward from Snatch Victory, +1 for supporting the boss.

[17:51] Green_Bean Netherwrath Engaging the nano-borg
[17:51] Green_Bean !r 2d6+4
[17:51] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 7+4 = 11

I'll take the distortion launcher BP was so worried about and avoid a counterattack.

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 16, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fre: -2 | Dan: 0 | Tro: +3 | Sup: +1 | Men: +1
Curses! 0/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Killdozer's backseat of dreams, miracles and sparkles | Infamy: 1

quote:

01:48 Deltasquid Phantom Thief stops and gloats about his masterplan to Prisma, burning 1 plan in the process and taking +1 due to Influence
01:48 Deltasquid !r 2d6+2
01:48 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 6+2 = 8
01:49 Theantero The only thing WW has ever done is talk poo poo and already he's getting complaints. Imagine if he was even more of a twat :V
01:49 Yamifenrir oh
01:49 Yamifenrir you don't burn plan delta
01:49 Deltasquid nice

Phantom Thief looked at BP-X in abject terror through the rear window, stammering out a few incomplete words before turning to Expat: "Mon Dieu, step on it, boss!"

He was thrown into the backseat due to sudden acceleration, and landed comfortably close to Prisma, at least from his point of view. Her eyes were still fixated on the menace outside, however, and Phantom Thief was less than amused at the lack of attention his smooth operating this caper had resulted in. He gave a small chuckle, hoping Prisma would turn her gaze to his fair visage instead. She did not.

"You may be wondering what advantages I hope to gain from this incursion. A perfectly reasonable reaction."

She glanced his way, then back at the monster tangling with Netherwrath outside. Her eyes widened.

This wasn't working. Phantom Thief had to up the ante if he wanted to leave a lasting impression.

Sliding his fingers across his hair as he did, PT threw his head back in a theatrical manner and laughed, though it did not come across as all that genuine. "Ha! Ha! Ha."

"Well, you see," he resumed to no one in particular, "I am currently studying the behavior of superheroes such as youself to blend in!"

Finally, Prisma turned her full attention to Phantom Thief, although the raised eyebrow implied she was getting confused rather than amazed. He shook his head and redoubled his efforts, encouraged by her admittedly lukewarm reaction.

"Do not feign surprise! I am known as the master of shadows, the dark coil of our deepest desires, the gentleman thief of all walks of life! It is only natural that I would seek to emulate heroes! But why, you ask?"

Prisma was not in a position to be asking anything, although her eyes certainly had an air of "please stop".

"Do you know what the greatest prize is that a man can seize? It is neither gold, nor diamond, nor compound interest on the loans he gives out. No, it is something far greater."

Phantom Thief got up from the seat, and raised a hand towards the sky. This required manually cranking down a window first, but Arsène was not the type of man to be easily deterred by such trivialties.

"Something far nobler! You see, what a man truly desires is fame. The cheers of the crowds as he raises his hand to greet them, the silence in palaces as he graces them with his presence! The heartthrobs of women across the world as he throws them a kiss and a wink! That is the greatest treasure a man can receive, and yet, it has so far eluded the villainous and righteous alike!"

PT did not realize he was raising his voice to the point that Prisma was recoiling at every sentence. He noticed her struggling, however, and graciously buckled her seatbelt to prevent her from accidentally hurting herself.

"So what I want to become... is a superhero!"

Even his villainous compatriots had to do a double take at that line.

"I want another alter ego! An alter-alter ego, as it were! I want to be known as the greatest force of good this city has ever seen, a champion of the just who saves the day when victory seems impossible. The entire criminal underworld could reign supreme on this planet, and the masses would cry out for the only man who could stop these injustices, while other, lesser heroes faltered at every step of the way!"

"And then," Phantom Thief said with delicate attention to every word, "The hero would reveal the mask. And underneath would be..."

His nose was practically touching Prisma's now. He stared her right in the eyes, and she was sweating bullets.

"Oh, you're too hot? Hold on." Arsène opened another window, again taking 15 seconds to roll it open, cursing the archaic mechanism all the time. When it was open, and wind filled the back of the truck, sending his cape flapping menacingly around the interior of the truck and Prisma's hair into her eyes and nose, he paused a few seconds. "Where was I? Oh, right, I remember!"

He stood, again, in the arm-stretched-towards-the-sky pose, this time with his cape pestering every occupant of the vehicle with its spastic fluttering, and yelled:

"AND UNDERNEATH THE MASK WOULD BE... ANOTHER MASK! ON LIVE TELEVISION, THE MIGHTY HERO REVEALS HIMSELF TO BE NONE OTHER THAN PHANTOM THIEF, MASTER HEISTER EXTRAORDINAIRE! OH, THE EMOTION! OH, SUCH TRAGEDY! LEADER OF THE WORST VILLAINOUS ORGANISATIONS OF THEIR TIME, WHILE DOUBLE TIMING AS THE OBJECT OF THEIR AFFECTION, THEIR IDOL! THEIR HEARTS WOULD WEEP AT THE REVEAL!"

It was good that he was yelling, because the traffic and wind blowing through the windows almost drowned out the sound of his monologue. He felt the need to reword it, to make the ramifications really sink in for Prisma.

"THE ONE THEY MOST HATED AND MOST LOVED, ONE AND THE SAME! SUCH A NEFARIOUS SCHEME THAT THE WORLD'S ETHOS WOULD NEVER RECOVER! THE PHANTOM THIEF HAD SNATCHED THEIR VERY AFFECTIONS AND GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT! NOT EVEN THEIR EMOTIONS WERE SAFE FROM THE MASTER HEISTER! THE ENTIRE WORLD GOT PLAYED LIKE A FIDDLE, AND WORST OF ALL, HE GOT AWAY WITH IT! CAN YOU IMAGINE A MORE HUMILIATING DEFEAT OF THE FORCES OF GOOD?"

Prisma was thrashing about and crying now. Phantom Thief smiled. "Yes! Yes! Weep and despair, Prisma! I saw the way you looked at me when we carried you out of the basement! Those eyes spoke more than you ever could! I had robbed your heart! I had pierced through the veil of justice in your very soul and touched you where no other man can! YOU BELIEVED ME! YOU FELL FOR MY WORDS, HOOK, LINE AND SINKER!"

Phantom Thief raised both hands towards the roof of the vehicle, and hammed it up to an absolute haram degree.

"YOU WERE BUT A STEPPING STONE IN MY MASTER PLAN, YOUR HEART WRENCHED AS SOON AS I STUDIED YOUR DEMEANOR! I HAVE MADE YOUR CUTE, WILY WAYS MINE AND SHALL USE THEM TO ROB THE HEARTS OF HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF CHILDREN ACROSS THE WORLD, AND THERE IS NOTHING, NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT NOW!"

"HAHAHAHAHAHA!"

"HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!"

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!"

The vehicle hit an imperfection on the road and Phantom Thief was knocked on his rear end. Prisma's mouth was still shut, but the jerky movements of her face and belly made it abundantly clear that sh was roaring with laughter. Arsène suddenly felt very silly about himself. How could she laugh at his perfect master scheme? Had he overlooked a crucial detail? Was his plan doomed to fail by machinations beyond his control? Or was his poignant prose lost to her due to a moment of inaptitude at the very end?

Why was this cute girl making fun of him, drat it?

Marking insecure.

Flashforward

quote:

Signor Splendid adjusted his top hat and venetian mask before stepping onto the stage where the President awaited him.

The middle aged face was practically beaming with pride. "Signor Splendid, if I may..." He began.

Signor Splendid gave him a little wave. "You may." He smiled. A girl in the audience fainted.

"In the name of the United States of America, and hereby joined by the Pan-Asian Federation and United Nations, I would like to humbly bestow upon you the highest honour every reached out to an American hero. You have shown yourself to be a great success story of Italian-American integration, and a role model for all of us, young and less young alike. Please accept our gift to you, the keys to the city of Washington DC."

Signor Splendid threw his cape over his shoulder, and replied. "Si, of course. I would be honoured to accept."

The audience cheered. Journalists, photographers and other members of press were practically fighting to take the hottest scoop of the millennium and be the first to write about Signor Splendid's feelings on the matter, who so far had been a mystery wrapped in an elusive enigma concerning his origins and desires.

"Signor Splendid, if I may! Could you give a few words to the press?"

"Ma of course."

A big grin appeared under the venetian mask. His facade was cracking, that much he knew. He trepidated in anticipation and excitement and finally decided he could no longer hide it. He threw off the mask, which soared through the ballroom and landed in a bowl of punch somewhere.

"You were expecting the real Signor Splendid, but it was I, PHANTOM THIEF!"

Screams suddenly filled the room, and a veritable brawl began as the crowd hurridly tried to leave. The doors were locked. They had to option but to hang their heads in shame if they did not want to witness the scene."

"There never was any real Hero Association since I took over! No villain assocation, either! It was all an illusion! Smoke and mirrors to make you believe you were in constant danger and rescued by me!"

The president fell to his knees. "How could I be so blind!?" he cried out.

Phantom Thief roared with laughter.

"My accent isn't even Italian! I am French!"

A child on the front row, holding a Signor Splendid toy, was crying inconsolably.

"You have been had! All of you!"

A newschannel broadcast on the wall revealed the UN Security Council were holding a panicked meeting. The newsticker mentioned something about "disbanding" and also "Fools, the lot of us".

"You loved a villain! I stole your love! Your hearts!"

And with that, Phantom Thief rushed off the stage as SWAT teams crashed into the palace, their African American chief furiously shaking his fist at the escaping cambrioleur.

The only trace found on the premises afterwards was a rose with a small note attached. It read: "After due consideration, being a villain was more fun anyway!"

Want: Try out being a superhero Fulfilled!

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 16, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Naomi just looked over at Prisma and shrugged helplessly. Phantom Thief must have finally snapped under the pressure of certain demise and entered into some sort of delusion of grandeur. She forgot, from time to time, how crazy most of these people actually were. And coming from someone who was seriously considering instigating a spatio-temporal anomaly at point-blank range that was saying something. Speaking of which, she should get moving. As much fun as it would be to see Whisperwind literally erased from the annals of history with his awful car, it would likely follow with the erasure of those she had warmer feelings for.

She unbuckled her restraints and increased the volume on her exterior speakers to overpower the road noise, "Well, that's... that's fantastic, Phantom. Really. I'm going to go and kill my doppleganger." Naomi winked at the captive hero as she floated out of the back of the vehicle. "Later, Prisma. Don't go anywhere~!" With that parting shot, she diverted power to her gravity drive and proceeded at full speed towards the rendezvous point in the park.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Freak: +2 | Danger: +1 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +1 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: Paranoid Location: Making her own road the way only a killdozer can.

One of the cameras on the exterior of the Overcompensator caught the sudden explosion from the manor behind her, and more importantly the shadow outlined in the towering inferno the team had managed to turn the neighborhood into. Expatriot had done her homework, she could recognize the silhouettes of aircraft, power armor, and piloted robots deployed by countries all over the world. There was only one combat machine she’d ever encountered with those mega-mitts. She cursed under her breath.

“Alright, in the future?” she said, her voice coming out of a small PA speaker set into the ceiling of the passenger compartment, “Lead with the fact that it’s mimicking a team mate instead of bitching about nomenclature!” she snapped, throwing the throttles to full burn. The wheels spun as they tore into the well-maintained front lawn of the manor, scrambling for purchase before the blue thrusters finished winding up and boosted the machine forward with a feeling not unlike a swift kick in the rear.

Expatriot didn’t particularly seem particularly concerned about sticking to the roads. Whisperwind might have swerved around her in his mad dash for freedom, but when he turned sharply at the next intersection she went straight. On this particular occasion, “straight” meant going through a fence, flattening someone’s outdoor grill before going airborn as she hit the first steep incline of the trip. The Overcompensator stayed surprisingly level, all things considered, though having Breaking Point’s extra weight in the back might’ve had more to do with that than any particular feat of engineering. She hit the ground again with all six wheels, the vehicle rattling and bouncing, but retaining its orientation and speed as she smashed head on into a rank of trees that had been planted at the edge of someone’s property to provide a bit of privacy. Shards of pulped wood spun through the air, along with jagged splinters as the trees themselves fell to the ground somewhere behind the fleeing group.

The problem was simple. Helicopters were basically the natural predator of tanks, and Breaking Point’s body combined all the best assets of an attack chopper with a propulsion system that could break the speed of sound. If she could get them to the city’s tunnels, however, she could limit their pursuer’s mobility and bring the fight back on even terms.

Of course, everyone else had their own ideas.

“Anarchy, I swear, if you break that robot you’ll be on dial-up and coffee house wifi for a month!” she transmitted, while somewhere behind her Netherwrath was enjoying finally having an excuse to open up the throttle and deck someone. Of course, she hadn’t actually denied Anarchy.exe the opportunity to use the thing … because she’d gotten distracted by the Priority Comms light on her dash flashing.

“Zeremiah, hey!” she said with mock cheer as he loudly demanded to know what they’d been up to.

"WHAT THE gently caress DID YOU GUYS DO?"

“Nothing special. Early Christmas shopping.” She said, swerving a bit as her tires found road again, for a few scant moments until she decided to drive over someone’s tennis court, anyway, “You know how outlandish these supervillain gift lists can get.”

"The Freedom Force is mobilizing, and they're headed YOUR way. Get the gently caress out of dodge, NOW."

“Right, thanks for the heads up. Traffic is murder out here.” She said, half of the armored vehicle listing hard to one side as she rolled over a parked car, crushing it’s fiberglass bodywork flat in the process. She told herself that whoever had owned the thing probably deserved it; nobody with scruples ever owned a car that nice. “I’ll file the debrief in a few days. Ta!”

“gently caress!” she hissed as soon as she’d closed down the comms line. The Freedom Force? Here? Now!?! It was too soon! It was the first time she might see her Dad in months, and she was leading, what? The high school garage band of supervillain groups? Acting as a low-level goon for BRANCH!? She might just die of embarrassment … oh poo poo, Whisperwind would see her Dad and his friends. No. No, no, no. NOPE! She’d seen enough people try it to know there was no dignified way to fight Rocket the All-American Dog, she’d never hear the end of it.

She decided to interrupt Phantom Thief’s grandiose display of ego by hitting a steel public mailbox head on, letting it crumble and roll under the carriage of the vehicle causing it to bounce and jostle before it was kicked out by a wheel.

“On the topic of grandiose plans for the future.” She interjected over the comms, “We have an international level hero group inbound. This is not like a tussle with one of the local cape clubs, if these guys catch up to us we can expect to lose people.”

“Wrap things up with this cheap knock-off fast and clear out, got it?” she said. She’d been listening to the plans in motion and, frankly, didn’t feel the need to meddle. If things stayed on an even keel, Whisperwind would draw BP-X into the original recipe’s sights, and if there was anyone she trusted to know what it would take to defeat her armor plating, Elisabeth put her faith in Naomi. Besides, even if that didn’t work, the Distortion Launcher Netherwrath was crowing about should hold the nanocloud together long enough for Anarchy.exe to cook the whole lot of them with a shot from Protectron-5.

[03:42] <JusticeGrieves> Expatriot tries to make off with some injured superheroes and a delirious Phantom Thief
[03:42] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6
[03:42] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 10 = 10
(-1 Trouble, but +1 from Seizing Victory) Expat gets away from the present situation/threat, and absconds with the Heroic Test Subjects (and P.T.)
Alas, I dragged my feet too long, so I can’t really offer you guys the +1 Forward from Born to Lead. So sad.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 16, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: +1 | Danger: -2 | Trouble: +1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 1/5 | Infamy: 1| Conditions: None! | Location: Protectron-5 Cockpit
Deck: 2 Cards

"Hey, you're not my MOM!" Anarchy screeches back at Expatriot. "I know what I'm DOING! Whispy's in DANGER and if I don't USE THIS he's gonna DIE!"

Wasting no time, Anarchy pulls on Protectron's control sticks and has the robot leap into action. The giant machine jumps over some cars and immediately starts chasing after the rogue doppelganger. It's not the fastest giant robot in the world, but it makes some giant strides with its giant legs and makes pretty good time.

"Prepare to GET OWNED you dumb pile of nano-rocks! Anarchy is here to protect her boyfriend!"

As Protectron catches up to BP-X it makes a giant leap over everybody, and casts a big, dark shadow over the entire chase scene for a brief second. And then it lands in front of everybody, putting itself directly ahead of the pursuit.

"Now watch THIS! PROTECTRON BEEEEEEEEEAM!"

The giant robot strikes a dramatic pose, sticking its arms out to the side and then pointing its hands at a now-glowing gem on the center of its chest. The whole world seems to darken a little bit as beams of light start to focus in the air and get sucked into the robot's core. There's even an electric feeling in the air, making your hair stand on end a little as you can almost feel the incoming laser before it even fires.

And then every suddenly dissipates. All that energy just turns into nothing. And in the cockpit, something makes an unpleasant beep.

"Oh HECK!" Anarchy screams, in frustration and shock. She brings her foot up and smashes the error-ing monitor it. "HECK HECK HECK!"

<Takanago> Anarchy directly engages BP-X
<Takanago> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 4-1 = 3
Note: This was using the +1 forward. Welp.
Marking Curses!

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.

Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: All Clear! Location: Making her own road the way only a killdozer can.

There was a pop of static as the coalescing beam of blinding energy suddenly lost cohesion and unraveled in the air. Rather than any technical fault, Expatriot’s mic had simply picked up on the impact of her palm against her armored faceplate.

“Oh, hey, the decommissioned warmachine that’s been mothballed for over a decade isn’t actually in fighting condition.” Expatriot said with faux consideration, “What a completely foreseeable state of affairs! The lead car’s engine is offline, why the hell would you use the Protectron Beam!?”

“If you’re going to insist on making a scene, at least think things through instead of acting like a self-indulgent child!” Besides, everyone knew that you don’t go immediately for the finishing move with a giant combining robot. You have to build up to the moment, or it’s guaranteed to fail. It was pretty unforgivable for the team’s tech-expert not to know something so utterly basic.

[15:25] <JusticeGrieves> And Expat Rebukes Anarchy for failing to understand basic Super Robot procedure
[15:25] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+1
[15:25] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 10+1 = 11
Anarchy.exe can mark Curses!, clear a condition, or shift Labels if she responds. Expat will clear Paranoid off of herself as well.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: +1 | Danger: -2->-1 | Trouble: +1->0 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 0/5 | Infamy: 1| Conditions: None! | Location: Protectron-5 Cockpit

"I DO know what I'm doing!" Anarchy screams back. "If I threw a punch instead she would have just NANOMACHINE'D out of the way! IT'S BASIC PHYSICS! YOU GOTTA USE A BEAM! So go SHOVE IT EX-PEE! Whispy's IN DANGER!"

"Grrr!" The hacker girl growls angrily and slams her first on the cockpit dashboard. Why was this so DIFFICULT?! Her boyfriend was in danger, her cool robot wasn't doing the job, her friends were yelling her! And it's all that FAKE BP'S FAULT!

But if Protectron can't do the job, maybe Anarchy would have to do it her own way...

"EMOJI!" Anarchy yells, then starts slamming a whole bunch of buttons on her wrist furiously. "Start a connection with the Nanomonster! We're gonna HACK IT and learn it's SECRETS!"

Anarchy shifts Danger up and Trouble down from the rebuke.

<Takanago> Anarchy assesses the situation
<Takanago> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 4+2 = 6

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Anarchy.Exe

Emoji does a little waggle with it's ears, then... nothing.

"Error. Target IP not found. Playing PT_promo_reel.avi.mp4 instead." Emoji replies, in a robotic voice, before doing exactly that. Pretty drat loud. In fact, you think it's on the loud speakers, too...

Well, that's not helping! Also, uhm, BP-X seems to think you're entirely not worth its time and just flies past you. Phew!

... Wait, OH CRAP!

Mark Afraid.

Netherwrath

Triumphant, you hold the distortion launcher in the air above you!

... wait a minute, what's that gray sludge?

Oh, come the gently caress on! Your power is dissolving the drat thing! That's kinda not cool at all! Speaking of things that aren't cool, BP-X barely loving reacted to your loving awesome attack! Even as you grabbed onto it, all it did was try to aim it's weapon systems at you! No fear at all.

Even now, it's just sort of... Looking at you. As if it's trying to decide if you're worth it's time. And considering it just bolts off towards the rest of the team, it clearly loving doesn't think you are!

Are you just gonna let that stand!?

Phantom Thief

While it seems Prisma wasn't really all that impressed at your speech (in fact, quite the opposite) it seems she still can't keep her eyes off you. Instead of being transfixed on the fight, you catch her looking at you every now and then.

Anyway, from your position, you catch a glimpse of BP-X. It doesn't even seem to bother flying through the streets - it's just going straight through the drat skyscrapers! Your trained eyes notice something worrying - the places of the building she touched are sort of... disintegrating. Wait a minute, is it re-purposing the supporting structure of those buildings to make more nanomachines?! Oh gently caress!

Whisperwind

You lost her! Holy poo poo that was too dangerous.

Taking a turn back to the team, you suddenly hear very loud noises and metal grating. A second later, BP-X bursts out of a nearby building, a swarm of nanomachines trailing after it. The swarm becomes thicker and thicker until the last time it bursts through the building, the nanoswarm ate so much of the building in passing that it's collapsing.

... Uh....

Uhhhh...

Yep. That skyscraper is falling in YOUR direction.

That... can't be good...

Mark Afraid.

Ex-Patriot

Whatever it is you wanna do, you gotta decide on it NOW. Things are going to like three different kinds of poo poo, and it's rapidly becoming apparent you're going to need the entire team to defeat this thing, if it's even enough!

And that's exactly what's not happening! The team's scattered, the loving FREEDOM FORCE is coming your way, and BP-X is loving bringing down entire skyscrapers now. You got to decide on ONE strategy, and make sure the team follows you, or your hosed. Either this thing explodes all of you or the Freedom Force locks you up approximately forever. If you don't deal with this thing before Uncle Sam and friends get here, those are the only outcomes. BP-X might as well be a tracking beacon on you guys until then.

Due to the severity of the situation, Ex-P gets +1 to provoking people to stick to ONE plan.

Breaking Point

Prisma glares at your obvious prodding at her unfortunate situation, before turning back to watch BP-X (and occassionally glance at Phantom Thief. Did she take a liking to him or something?) as you take off to the park.

Beep... Beep... Beepbeepbeep...

That sound? It's BP-X bee-lining straight for you!. It seems like it's reacquired you as a target. You've made it to the park, but the rest of the team isn't here to assist yet!

Oh, jesus christ. That thing is going straight THROUGH the buildings, and one of them is flat out collapsing from the damage. A giant freaking swarm of nanobot is trailing behind it now, seemingly built out of whatever walls it burst through. You need to stop this thing, and NOW. If you lead this thing on a merry chase for much longer, there won't be much of a city left to take over!

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 17, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: Driving through the streets of DOOM very UNSAFELY

Whisperwind's eyes widened as the ridiculous doombot tried to dump an entire skyscraper on him. Well, no matter. He was Whisperwind. Tangles like this were trivial for him to solve, and besides, it was a skyscraper. Trivial to dodge if you didn't run lengthwise like a chump.

That is, if you weren't stuck in a traffic jam. Man it was midnight, what were all these people doing here? Whisperwind's eyes darted from car to car as he sent a mishmash of suggestions into the tangle. An "oh no I left the stove on I got to back up" there, a "wow my wife will be so mad if I don't run this light" there and a "wow I should stop to take a selfie with this falling skyscraper" here, yet after a while he sort of had to admit to himself that the entire problem had just been made worse. And a concerned glance towards the Skyscraper told him he had... approximately not very many seconds left.

Welp.

Whisperwind squeezed his eyes shut, and concentrated all his power to emergency teleport. Anywhere but here.

quote:

Theantero: WW! ABSCOND!
Krysmbot: Theantero, 3+2 = 5

Marking Curses!

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: All Clear! Location: Making her own road the way only a killdozer can.

A low sigh rasped under Expatriot’s mask.

“It doesn’t count as saving the day if you gently caress it up in the first place…” she reminded herself. How the hell they’d managed to turn a simple, albeit high profile, robbery into a city threatening event was … bewildering. At the very least, they’d done something that actually warranted her father’s arrival. She watched as a skyscraper began to list and droop, the nanotech swarm that was deconstructing its insides unable to support the weight perched atop it. At least it was after business hours, that should keep the casualty count low. Though still greater than zero. Dammit.

She cut the wheel hard, spinning the Overcompensator around and whipping those still aboard hard against their harnesses as she refocused the vehicle’s sensor suite. She’d managed to get some distance from the fighting, get the hostages/paydata out of the line of fire, but apparently just leaving everything to sort itself out wasn’t working out. Of course not, she couldn’t get the team to drill together because getting them all in one place was harder than herding cats.

Data started crawling across her screen. Really, the existence of more nanomachines spilling out of the buildings only gave her more data to extrapolate from, since any energy signatures weren’t being fed into weapon systems. Well, she hoped they weren’t. She didn’t want to consider the possibility that this thing was going to weaponize a skyscraper.

[17:46] <JusticeGrieves> Expat tries to Assess exactly how hosed this Situation is
[17:46] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+1
[17:46] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 6+1 = 7
What is your secret, you beautiful nano-goo monstrosity?

“Alright, I found a good observation point.” She transmitted, a screen popping up with what information she had on Breaking Point’s body, Protectron-5 and everything else.

“Breaking Point. I need you to give Netherwrath your Distortion Cannon, she’s probably the only other member on the party who can use the thing without obliterating herself. I need you to hit those buildings with the stasis charges that you used on the train job, keep the nanites from spreading and secure those structures to keep them from falling.”

“Netherwrath, I need you to get in front of that bitch and hit her with a singularity. This thing has to have a limit on how far it can disperse its intelligence, so we’re going to try and vaporize the whole body at once.”

“Anarchy.exe, the Protectron Beam is no good. In the right arm though, you should have something called an Tronium Buster Cannon. You’re going to need to reroute power from the available modules, but since the firing assembly is entirely in the arm it will actually fire.”

“Whisperwind, get the hell out of there. Teleport clear if you need to, that loot isn’t worth your life.”

“Go, GO!” she shouted, “Execute, whatever!”

Expatriot tries to take charge during an action scene, triggering Born to Lead. So, are you with me? If you are, you can take a +1 Forward, of course, if you’d rather spit in my eye, you can take Influence over me.

The basic plan is to have BP Unleash her Powers to handle the buildings, Netherwrath Directly Engage with the intention of Creating an Opportunity, and then have Anarchy.exe Exploit Weakness to finish the damned job

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 17, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: Paranoid

Netherwrath blew her bangs out of her eyes, causing a loud pop to go over the team's shared radio as she fumbled with her audio overrider. It wasn't a bad debut, threatening to put a hole in the moon, but it would've been nicer if she'd been able to back it up more convincingly. Stupid nanomachines, couldn't stand up to the least bit of rough handling.

"Yo, Whisperwind, you owe me for getting Dumber BP off your back..." She trailed off for a moment as she noticed BP-X bringing down a skyscraper near where she'd recently spotted a pink sports car. "Uhhh...assuming you're not crushed."

This was formerly a roll to Provoke Ex-Patriot into giving Netherwrath a glory moment, but since she gave her exactly what she wanted, I'll repurpose this roll for Provoking Whisperwind into giving her a bigger cut. -2 for Superior.
[18:12] Green_Bean !r 2d6-2
[18:12] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 7-2 = 5

Holding off on engage for now until the weapon is in place.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 2/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Driving through the streets of DOOM very UNSAFELY

"Haha."

"Yes, the skyscraper currently falling on me and all my loot really attests to that", WW stated so flatly that even his quiet tone could convey the sarcasm.

There is a moment of aggravated silence.

"Look we both know jobs go sour sometimes and you can have whatever diamond rings I got stashed in my pockets, but I can't promise anything else really. Blame BP for unleashing the thing."

"And now if you'd excuse me I'm somewhat busy not dying, so can this wait?"

quote:

Theantero: Seriously Netherwrath? Let WW Rebuke some sense into you.
Krysmbot: Theantero, 4+3 = 7
Theantero: wait actually no
Theantero: Afraid gives -2 to Cow
Theantero: so that's a 5

quote:

Theantero: KNOWN UNKNOWN Nethers
Krysmbot: Theantero, 6+2 = 8

Curse your lack of basic social graces!

Known Unknown clears my Afraid, as WW is momentarily pissed off and bewildered enough by Netherwrath's asinine timing to do negotiations that it actually takes his mind off existential dread.

Also, WW is going with Expat's plan since he's very much escaping at the moment.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 17, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 5/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry, Paranoid | Location: Central Park Showdown

Breaking Point played the audio file back several times, to ensure that she was not mishearing Expatriot. The plan seemed sound enough, of course, she was quite excellent at utilizing the team's resources. There were only a few problems. First, while she had more or less swept the motorcycle incident under the rug, Netherwrath was unreliable. Second, Netherwrath clearly followed orders from Whisperwind. Third, the so-called "distortion cannon" was integrated into her arm and she certainly wasn't about to give one away. While BP-X had clearly developed a few new delivery mechanisms using its flexible construction, she was restricted to using the same launcher that had previously delivered the solvent.

A slow chuckle rolled across the comm channel, "Yeah, Expat, I know I told you to lead earlier... But I have a better plan. You lot might as well just clear out. Like Whisperwind said, this is -- more or less -- my problem. The job is to get paid for the giant robot, right? Focus on that. I'll focus on keeping our stalker busy."

Breaking Point is in no way, shape, or form going to give a highly experimental and volatile warhead to known backstabber and Whisperwind sympathizer Netherwrath, so the doubled-up influence from going off the plan shifts Expat +Menace, -Freak. After that discussion in the garage, she does seem pretty normal. For a career villain, anyways.

As the swarm of nanobots and her clone rushed into the park, Breaking Point rerouted all power into the gravity drive. It was time to put its new remote manipulation capabilities to the test. She rose into the air, the air around her shimmering as the increased gravity distorted the light. She extended an arm towards the doppelganger and clenched a fist. BP-X slowed and then came to a stop, unable to escape her grasp. Now, if she could just deliver the device...

quote:

[14:04:38] <Tricky> BP attempts to trap BP-X in GRAVITY PRISON
[14:04:40] <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
[14:04:42] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 11+3 =

Naomi diverted the barest hint of power back to her communicator and opened a channel to Protectotron-5, "Hey, uh, Anarchy. Can you leave this one to me? I really need to make payroll this month and it's going to be pretty drat tough if Protectotron-5 gets scrapped in the fight." She paused for a moment, considering if that was really the best tactic to reach the manic hacker, then shrugged and continued squeezing BP-X.

quote:

[14:11:22] <Tricky> BP will later provoke Anarchy to actually get the robot out of here!
[14:11:24] <Tricky> !r 2d6
[14:11:25] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 4 =

Let's be real, this is definitely Whisperwind's fault. :v:

Advance TBD.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 17, 2016

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Freak: +1 | Danger: +1 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +1 | Menace: +2
Curses!: 3/5 | Conditions: All Clear! | Location: At a Safe Distance

Expatriot’s fist hammered into the console as she grit her teeth, leaning in and checking her screens.

“Dammit, Naomi, you listen here. Swivel your head over in Whisperwind’s direction, and use those expensive Mk IX eyeballs to zoom in nice and close. How many people do you see under the shadow of that building? How many people are inside that building?” she hissed.

“Use your goddamn super-processor and tell me, how many kids are going to wake up orphans tomorrow because you listened to Whisperwind!?” she shouted.

[20:17] <JusticeGrieves> Provoking BP to tow the line
[20:17] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+4
[20:17] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 7+4 = 11
+1 Plan as she does as I say, but she takes a Condition if she turns me down cold

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 5/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry, Paranoid, Insecure | Location: Central Park Showdown

Breaking Point grit her teeth as she strained to contain her doppelganger, "You know, Expatriot, maybe next time you should check if I have anything that can stop a building available first. Getting Phantom and the others out of the lab took almost all of my arsenal. You want to stop a bunch of kids from dying? You have a hacker in a giant robot! Use her! In the meantime, I'm going to be pouring everything I have into keeping our good buddy here from knocking a few more buildings over." She cut the power to her communicator, rerouting it back to the gravity field.

Provoke denied and marking Insecure. She can't do what you want, unfortunately, despite how compelling your argument was.

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

“Then lead with that next time instead of trying to sound cool!” she growled.

Alright, well, the gravity field still kept BP-X contained…the Tronium Buster Cannon could still work. Technically, the gravity field would be expelling far weaker gravitic distortions than a singularity. Unfortunately, it left her in the position of trying to wrangle the person who got the most joy out of collateral damage into trying to limit the fallout from this mess. It was a long shot, Netherwrath probably had the most contempt for the world in general among them, rivaled only by Omega (who had other worlds to compare it to).

“gently caress.” She snapped off, “Max, I need you to be a giant bad-rear end and one-punch a falling building. I’ll give you a third of my cut if you can pull it off.” A third of a cut from this sale was no small amount of money, still, Expatriot expected Netherwrath to push it up to half before she’d move, just to be contrary. It wouldn’t be the complete lack of casualties she’d been hoping for, but at least she might keep the numbers down … a little.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Netherwrath sounded almost outraged over the comm line. "To punch the poo poo out of a skyscraper? No way, I'll give you a quarter, tops, and that's...oh wait, you want to pay me? Uh, yeah, a third sounds good. And, uh, not a penny less!"

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

…Huhn.

“You’d better get moving then, your window is closing. I’ll save the recording for you to watch later.” Expatriot responded.

Just when you think you know a person…

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Killdozer's backseat of dreams, miracles and sparkles | Infamy: 1

Phantom Thief was biting his lower lip from the stress. It felt terrible to see that skyscraper slowly collapse, BP-X thrashing about and the apparently inevitable deaths all of this would cause, problems that were way out of his league considering his limited repertoire of suitable abilities.

"Boss, I'm still by your side. Tell me if there's anything I can do to cooperate."

He searched his many pockets, pouches and bandoliers for a gadget that'd be useful in this situation. Zilch, nada.

"Is this Overcompensator kitted with some manner of armements? I could lay down suppressive fire, maybe...?"

He saw the skyscraper slowly topple and Netherwrath jump towards it.

He closed his eyes.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Netherwrath took off like a shot. All bravado aside, she'd never punched something on this scale before. Fantasied about it, sure, but this was the real thing! With the actually falling skyscraper looming in front of her, there were suddenly a lot of practical considerations that hadn't occurred to her before. Like, what would happen to the rubble? If she punched it into chunks, presumably it'd rain destruction over the entire city, killing tons of people. Netherwrath could live with that normally, but Ex-Pat seemed to care about collateral damage for some reason, and if she refused to pay up as a result, Netherwrath would have to beat it out of her, which would be a huge pain in the rear end. She'd have to punch the building so hard there was nothing left but dust, obviously.

She accelerated even faster as she gathered her power, hellish strength propelling her to velocities she never hit unaided before. Her corrupting touch was running wild, buckling the concrete roofs under her feet even at the merest touch. Unforeseen, but probably helpful in dusting the target. She hit the last rooftop before the falling skyscraper with an explosive leap that nearly collapsed the whole building, and propelled herself at the building's centre of mass. She hit the skyscraper with the force of a natural disaster; windows blew out, the earth shook, and later the news would report the impact had been detectable by monitoring equipment on the other side of the country.

However, one thing Netherwrath hadn't anticipated was highly advanced New Genesis construction; modern skyscrapers were designed to absorb and transfer kinetic force (such as from high winds or earthquakes) safely into the ground, where specialised shock absorbers would convert the energy into cheap electricity. Of course, the building was no longer anchored to the ground, but that meant the building remained largely structurally intact as the force of Netherwrath's impact turned into evenly distributed momentum. The building reversed course from the force of the blow, almost seeming to achieve lift off as it arced over the tops of several smaller buildings. Alas, the building was not meant to fly, and it came crashing down into the ocean, terribly damaged but upright.

Netherwrath herself had cratered in the middle of a city street next to Whisperwind, but she just shrugged it off as she got to her feet. She laughed with joy - she'd just punched a goddamn building! She'd been the badass on the team who'd stepped up when the weaklings failed! She'd just saved the lives of thousands of peop-oh poo poo. "Oh god, if Seraphim is on site, just kill me now. Strike me down with a space bullet or something, just end it now."

[08:03] Green_Bean Unleash to One-Punch the skyscraper, saving the day. +0 Freak, +1 for following Ex-Pat's plan, +1 for protecting the Boss
[08:03] Green_Bean !r 2d6+2
[08:04] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 8+2 = 10
[08:04] Green_Bean time to obliterate a building

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 2/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Driving through the streets of DOOM very UNSAFELY

Whisperwind's illusionary eyes blinked on and off for a moment as if blinking.

"Haha."

"Ok then."

"..."

Whisperwind nodded to the backseat, slowly, as if still trying to process exactly what had just transpired.

"There's a sack of loot on the backseat there. Feel free to have like... all of it, I don't need it. I'll just keep the car and the stuff I have in my pockets, should still leave you with like three quarters of the value."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: +1->0 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: 0->+1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 0/5 | Infamy: 1| Conditions: Afraid | Location: Protectron-5 Cockpit

"HEH!" Anarchy laughs over the radio. "Nice PLAN, Ex-Pee! Maybe you should factor in the little matter of PSYCHOLOGY next time! Heh! Or leave it to the GENIUS!"

"But thanks ANYWAY for not letting your dumb lack of a plan CRUSH MY BOYFRIEND! It's the literal LEAST you could do!"

There's a brief silence over the line as Anarchy seems to be done. But then she pipes up with one more thing. "Oh! And Bee-Pee! I think I'm gonna take your advice! BUT FOR THE RECORD! I don't care about your dumb employees!"

Anarchy turns the Protectron back around, and starts running towards the sea at a pretty quick pace. "In fact, I wonder why we have to pay them anyways! It's not like THEY did anything to help steal this robot! It sounds like a pretty BAD DEAL to me!"

"And actually, you know WHAT?!" The giant robot starts to run faster, as if its trying to put as much distance between itself and the rest of the team as possible. "You folks keep talking like it's YOUR robot, but actually it's starting to look a lot like MY robot! You know?! BECAUSE I DON'T SEE ANY OF YOU IN HERE!"

The Protectron turns around and does a cheerful little wave with its hand as it gets ready to jump into the sea. "SAYONARA, SUCKERS! This robot's MINE now! You guys have fun with your Nanomonster!"

Anarchy does not go along with Ex-P's plan because her supposed role is no longer relevant. Gains influence on Ex-P. And then throws in a Rebuke for good measure because apparently Ex-P can't think ahead!

<Takanago> Anarchy rebukes EXP
<Takanago> !r 2d6+2
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 5+2 = 7
Mark Curses!, clear a condition, or shift labels if you respond.

Then Anarchy makes her exit with the robot.
<Takanago> Anarchy absconds!
<Takanago> !r 2d6+0
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 6+0 = 6
Anarchy is going to BETRAY THE ALLIANCE and spend 1 Plan to shift her Freak down and her Trouble up. She's going to keep the robot for herself!

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Curses!: 4/5 | Conditions: All Clear! | Location: At a Safe Distance

Once Expatriot was done actually processing what she’d just seen Netherwrath do, she sagged back into her seat with a long sigh. Money well spent. Hell, the money didn’t seem like enough, she’d have to figure out something nice to get her. Nevermind that staying in the good graces of someone who could do something like that was just plain good survival instincts.

Instincts Anarchy.exe apparently lacked.

“God dammit.” She muttered, “Now I have to shoot Anarchy.exe in the head. I liked Anne. She was sunny.”

Yeeeeeeeah…I’ll be marking Curses!

She pushed her way out of her seat, grabbing hold of the handle to the door hatch and opening it into the crew compartment. She paused just long enough to pass a glare over the heroes epoxied into her upholstery, clenching her jaw slightly before looking at Phantom Thief directly.

“Yeah, come on up and I’ll show you the controls. They don’t look like they’ll be going anywhere.”

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 17, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Anarchy.Exe

You dice into water, and a few later, the Protectron-5's underwater mode activates. As you try to find your way around, your searchlight suddenly finds... a giant shark, being ridden by someone.

It takes a bit, but you remember him as the B-List villain Sharkman. His powers are control over sharks and water breathing. He's also a known alcoholic.

A lot more famous (Hell, there's a lot of people that know it, but not Sharkman!) is his pet Megadolon, Tinyfin.

"Oi! Whaa- Whatcha doing over there?! Thish ish *hic* MY heisht! I wash here firsht!" he complains.

... You're not quite sure what he's even talking about. Regardless, he seems angry at your presence.

Everyone else

BP-X - Phase 2!

Whisperwind

Holy poo poo! You know, having Netherwrath as your ally is quite good for your survival.

But after you're done being amazed at how kickass Netherwrath is, you realize... You're still in the traffic jam. And because of your meddling, it got WORSE. There's only one way to quickly get out of the traffic... and it leads you to the park.

gently caress.

Ex-Patriot

So you just had not one, but two revelations.

First one? Nobody on this loving team actually sees you as their leader. It's becoming readily clear that they're ALL just using you. Be it to drain you dry of money, dumping on the responsibilities and risks of masterminding on you so they don't have to, or for your tactical mind. But, you realize - none of them REALLY care about you.

... None, except Phantom Thief. He's clearly the only one you can trust in this goddamn mess. Just think about it. He's the only one who's been sticking with you this entire time, following your orders, and otherwise. He's looking out for you, and you only rejected him the last time. Maybe you should give him more of a chance?

It's funny considering how you first met him, but you know what they say about politics and strange bedfellows.

Phantom Thief gains Influence on you.

As for the second one? It's something you should be kicking yourself for not noticing earlier. You saw it, but in the heat of the moment, it just did not register until now. When the Protectron-5 blocked it's way and tried to fire, it looked at it for a second and then just moved past it. Not just moved past, it deliberately avoided the Protectron-5. For whatever reason, the fake BP is unwilling or incapable of attacking the Protectron-5.

Phantom Thief

You find yourself in control of the Overcompensators guns. From your viewpoint, you get a really good view of the sheer destruction BP-X has wrought on the way here. Almost every building on the way here is so damaged that you worry it's going to fall apart as well - and honestly, chances are it's less an 'if' and more a 'when'.

But thanks to BP's gambit, BP-X is immobilized, but its nanomachine swarm is rapidly catching up. And from the looks of it, it's forming some sort of shield around it! Not good. You really got to make this salvo count, before the drat shield is finished constructing!

Thanks to BP-X being immobilized, you get +1 to directly engage using the Overcompensator's weapons!

Breaking Point

BP-X comes to a sudden stop as you activate your gravity manipulator. However, BP-X is struggling against it with the same incredible might you have, and you can FEEL the sheer punishment your gravity drive is taking from this feat. You have a feeling that BP-X is actually LIGHTER than you, because it sure as hell doesn't feel like it would have worked if it had the same weight as you. There is no way you can immobilize it for long. You'll have about ten seconds before your gravity drive gives out entirely. And what's worse? the giant swarm of nanomachines that used to be most of the supporting structures of the skyscrapers below you is arriving, and already you can see it forming up a protective 360° layer around the gravity well keeping it trapped. It's trying to shield itself!

Whatever you do, make it count!

Netherwrath

Holy poo poo, that was amazing! There's like, no loving way you're not gonna be top news with THAT kinda stunt. But, first things first - There's still the killer machine around, and it needs some serious asskicking. And that's what you're here for, right?

... Whisperwind is PROBABLY going to be fine. I mean, sure, it's a traffic jam, but he'll survive it. Assuming there isn't a SECOND skyscraper about to fall on his head. What are the chances of THAT happening?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 17, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: Paranoid | Infamy: 1

Oh, right. The killer nano-android. It would be a nice little capper to this job, taking it out and all. Netherwrath took off towards the temporarily immobilised foe. She wasn't sure if punching would work, given what happened last time...ah, that was IT! The disruptor launcher had come apart in her hands thanks to her corrupting touch - was would happen if she cranked it up right in the drat middle of it!

She rounded a street corner, peeling the asphalt like an orange as she drifted around the corner. Above her was BP-X, struggling to get out of Boring-BP's gravity fields. Pfft, if it couldn't even get out of a weak-rear end gravity field, Netherwrath herself would be overkill. Good thing she loved overkill. She blurred across the distance like an unstoppable dynamo, leaving footprints in car roofs and using an abandoned fuel tanker as an explosive springboard. She soared into BP-X, breaking through the nano-shield with the sheer force. Then she simply wrapped it in a bear hug, and let her corrupting influence do the real work. "Hit this thing already! Don't worry about me, I already know I can take your pussy offence."

[15:41] Green_Bean Netherwrath directly engages BP-X, +2 Danger
[15:41] Green_Bean !r 2d6+2
[15:41] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 7+2 = 9

I'll take "create an opportunity for my allies"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Haha."

"Well."

"You guys, just, have fun dealing with that I suppose. Thanks again Nethers."

And with that, Whisperwind started to weave his loot carrier through the traffic towards his destination, sparing only a passing glance to the newly contained killbot. Really, if there was anything good about this weird nanocloud, it would have to be the fact that it took sufficient attention away from his girlfriend's antics.

quote:

Theantero: Welcome to the Abscond Zone. Veteran Absconder WW shall be your guide
Krysmbot: Theantero, 9+2 = 11

For my pick: Generate a point of Plan.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 17, 2016

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

“Alright, so, at this range the front-mounted guns behind the ramplate are useless, so we’ll skip that.” Expatriot said, rushing as Phantom Thief sat down in the co-pilot chair. Instead she pointed to a large screen where the two Breaking Points’ struggles were written large, a targeting reticle and range suggesting that it was some kind of laser-based targeting designator. Toggles for six different vision modes appeared near the screen, familiar to one as tech-savvy as Phantom Thief, so again, she skipped it.

“That means we’re going to have to use the long range artillery. Explosions are just going to spread it out, so forget the conventional warheads.” She pointed at another screen where a variety of headers appeared, including fire suppression, “riot control”, freezing, and a host of other bizarre options you’d never expect to see in a military catalogue. Expatriot apparently had quite a variety … though a side effect was that she only seemed to have one any given special warhead.

“Implosion, micro-fusion, gamma-burst…” she said, pointing at a few options, “We need to shred this thing on the molecular level. BP has an array of counter-measures to baffle most self-guiding technologies. That trigger there will switch you to fly-by-wire, you’re going to have to guide it on target by hand.” She said, looking up as Netherwrath jumped through BP’s gravity cocoon to grab hold of BP-X. Great, now she had to hope that some of it didn’t try to take shelter inside her indestructible demon-powered team mate too.

“Don’t miss. You might not get two shots.” She said, patting him on the shoulder before stepping back out of the driver’s cab. She ripped open the armory locker , picking a long-arm off of the rack, and grabbing a belt of over-sized bullets with glowing blue-white cores and draping it across her shoulder. Ignoring the heroes glued to the walls, she dashed out the back of the armored vehicle, unfolding a bipod and laying down on the grass as she ratcheted back the breath to slide the first bullet home. She pried off her mask, not trusting the electronics after the botch-job by the manor, fitting the stock to her shoulder and taking sight behind the digitally magnified scope.

“Steady…” she muttered, forcing her breath to take the rhythm she’d practiced with Tinstar back when she was being groomed for Freedom Force membership. At this range, the tiniest little variance could mean the difference between being on target, and blowing a four thousand dollar bullet on nothing. Or possibly hitting Max, though she could probably take it.

>B-KAM< the rifle jerked, her hand went through the practiced motion of opening the breach and loading another, >B-KAM<, she worked the slide again, threading another bullet into the chamber >B-KAM< She kept the rhythm going. At this range, she’d be hard pressed to see if her shots were having an effect. Each one, however, should rupture on impact with something as rigid as Breaking Point’s armor, releasing a chemical compound that would instantly drop the surrounding temperature to sub-arctic temperatures. Most nanotech she knew was exothermic in nature, microscopic power sources being a giant pain in the rear end to mass produce. They could generate a lot of waste heat while chewing threw materials, but with a fusillade of bullets like this, she thought she could overwhelm them long enough to freeze them solid. All the better for when Phantom Thief fired.

16:41] <JusticeGrieves> Expat tries to Directly Engage BP-X with some of her bullshit weaponry (Wagering Arsenal)
[16:41] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+2
[16:41] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 8+2 = 10
Expat will Resist/Avoid their Blows, and Take BP-X’s regenerative capabilities away.

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 17, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Killdozer's backseat of dreams, miracles and sparkles | Infamy: 1

"One shot to completely disintegrate the opponent, without hitting Netherwrath. Sure, no pressure."

quote:

23:35 Deltasquid hold on, gonna blast the poo poo out of that BP-X now
23:35 Deltasquid (watch PT flunk this roll)
23:36 Deltasquid okay so just a +1 then
23:36 Deltasquid I can do this
23:36 Deltasquid PT can do this
23:37 Deltasquid !r 2d6+1
23:37 Krysmbot Deltasquid, 6+1 = 7
23:37 Deltasquid whew

Unsure of which round would be best suited for the task (all sounded suitably destructive), Phantom Thief opted for "Ionized Disruptor Scatterrounds" on the sole basis that they sounded the most dangerous to electronics and the least dangerous to humans in case of a misfire. At worst, their corpses would be burnt to a crisp and their identities could be checked by analyzing their teeth.

He carefully loaded the shell into the artillery gun and switched between the various vision modes, settling on infrared to see through the smoke and rubble particles of the ravaged cityscape, then to normal sights once he had BP-X in his crosshairs. He licked his lips and squeezed the trigger.

The Overcompensator rocked slightly from the blast, and with a deep "BLOOP" sound, the shell was launched. A few meters out of the gun, the stabilizer fins slid out of the shell and manual control was turned on. Phantom Thief knew that failure after this point would be due to human errors on his part.

With trembling hands, he guided the missile in a wide arc, reducing the chances of accidentally jerking into the ground or an obstacle on street level, and carefully nudged the trajectory with tiny taps on the joystick. At the halfway point, it started its descent towards BP-X and Netherwrath from a shallow angle, and he knew seconds before impact that he had pulled it off. Barring intervention by a third party, it would either be a direct hit or slam into the ground near BP-X' feet. He relaxed and the video feed with the missile was abruptly cut off. The point of view was switched back to a camera on the Overcompensator's gun now.

PT marveled at the explosion: A single blue flash filled the entire street, covering it in a monochrome white and cyan spectacle for a brief second. Then, multiple electrical sparks arced through the street, hitting lamps, cars and phone booths which all exploded into even more sparks, causing a chain reaction throughout all electricity sources around the point of impact.

He was grinning from ear to ear, but made sure to load a second round immediately. Then, holding his breath, he waited until the smoke cleared, so he could see how much of BP-X was left.

However, an alarming smoke trail from the point of impact could be traced back to the Overcompensator's gun. He hoped that nobody or nothing would angrily follow it.

Taking "Avoid their blows" for the directly engage option.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 18, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 5/5 | Infamy! 1 | Conditions: Angry, Paranoid, Insecure | Location: Central Park Showdown

As the support fire rained down around her, Breaking Point used the last ounces of power in her increasingly overloaded gravity drive to send her clone flying towards her. Inside her right arm, a shimmering cylinder locked into place in front of the pile-bunker. The time-space distortion round. The swarm was weakened, but it could still recover. It would require, as Expatriot had said, dispersing the nano-consciousness over a vast distance. What better way than to scatter it across the entirety of time and space?

Naomi quickly realized that she would only have one shot at this -- she'd need to ensure that it impacted one of the doppelganger's mimicked rounds to instigate a spatio-temporal anomaly of the necessary magnitude. With her tactical analysis package down, there was no way she could risk firing at a safe range. She'd have to deliver the device at point-blank range. Her drive sputtered and choked under the strain, but sent her soaring down towards the oncoming figure.

With a thought, the firing mechanism triggered and the pneumatic driver sent it spiraling forward. The cylinder split the air as it flew, creating a mournful howl.

quote:

[14:11:10] <Tricky> BP vs BP-X: Round 2!
[14:11:13] <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
[14:11:14] <Krysmbot> Tricky, 6+2 =

Create an opportunity, I guess!

Tricky fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 18, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: 0 | Danger: -1 | Trouble: +1 | Superior: +2 | Menace: +1
Curses!: 0/5 | Infamy: 1| Conditions: Afraid | Location: Protectron-5 Cockpit

"Oh!" Anarchy exclaims. Her voice is slightly drowned out by the music from PT's promo reel still blaring from the robot's loudspeakers. "What am I doing? WHAT am I DOING?!"

The amazing genius hacker girl strikes a dramatic pose, mirroring the one Phantom Thief was making in the video at the moment. "Listen here, SHARKMAN! You are bearing witness to the one! The ONLY! ANARCHY DOT EE-EX-EE! Teenaged genius! Hacker extraordinaire! And now! Mecha pilot! What you see before you is HER GREATEST CAPER TO DATE!"

"Heh heh heh heh!" Anarchy pulls her hat down slightly to cover her face, and then twirls around in place. "What I have here is PROTECTRON-5! One of the greatest and grandest giant robots in existence! It is a true classic, and it's MINE! ALL MINE!"

She stomps her feet rapidly and makes a cute, excited noise. "And there's NOTHING those chumps can do about it! I played them! The fools! What, did they think we were just going to spit the loot seven ways?! When I was the only one in control of the robot? PEH! YOU SNOOZE, YOU LOSE, PALS!"

"And now I've got this robot all to myself! I could keep it! Or sell it! Divide the loot up my way! About half-and-half seems fair, right Sharkman? I'll keep fifty percent for myself, and then THEY can fight over THEIR scraps! Except Whispy. He can have a double share."

"Hee hee hee!" Anarchy giggles some more and grins. "It's going to be SO SWEET when I get back home! Everybody's going to know that I played them and they'll just be in awe of my genius! They're going to see all the swag bling I get with my share and go, 'Dang, Anarchy! You got us! We all kinda thought that Ex-Pee made the smart plans, but it turns out the smartest one was YOU! Please, Anarchy! Be our Mastermind! We're clearly so useless without you!'"

Anarchy claps her hands together and sighs, like a responsible older sister. "Well, OKAY! I guess I have to! I'm the only smart person in this city so I guess I gotta!"

"Soooo..." The girl leans forward, smiling brightly. "That's what I'm doing here! I'm escaping from my greatest heist yet! Are you impressed?"

Anarchy gloats about her Master Plan to Sharkman, revealing more than she wants about herself. Sharkman gains influence over me, and Anarchy clears Afraid.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Anarchy.Exe

"Ohhhhh! I undershtand now! It's babbysh *hic* firsth heisht!" he blabbers. "My, aren't you a public menassh? Not *hic* bad!"

He gives a hearty laugh before continuing. "Sssshee you around then!"

Soon after, he and Tinyfin go on their merry way, and disappear into what looks like some sort of alcove below the city.

Due to getting influence on you again, Sharkman gets to shift your labels. He's somewhat impressed by your success, but doesn't take you entirely seriously. -Danger, +Menace.

Describe how you escape, and do any end of Issue moves and Infamy purchases you need to. Speaking of Infamy, Anarchy.Exe get +1 infamy because of her very audacious plan succeeding.

Everyone else

A lot of things happen in rapid succession. First, Netherwraths strategy proved extremely effective - a lot of the central body of BP-X simply melts away under the corrupting aura, but it's still in one peace as Netherwrath loses her grip - made possible by BP-X activating its own gravity control and focusing it on Netherwrath, pushing her out of the gravity well!

Followed right after is the barrage Ex-Patriot and Phantom Thief, further diminishing the broken form of BP-X. Following that, the gravity well gets thrown towards BP!

But waits, whats that?! Oh no, In the last few seconds, the battered gravity drive of Breaking Point finally gives out, and BP-X fires off a rocket at the falling Netherwrath! It hits her dead on and smashes her into the pavement.

Finally, it turns back to Breaking Point, who just finished priming her Distortion round! In response, BP-X fires off her own to counter the attack! As the two projectiles impact, however, they begin warping their surroundings, and rip open a hole in space-time!

Both Breaking Point and BP-X get engulfed by it immediately, and disappear from view entirely as the hole closes on them...

There is very little you can do about this, however, as the Freedom Force is mere minutes from arriving! No time to mourn Breaking Point, you have to bail.

No rolls required, other than a Take a powerful blow for Breaking Point and Netherwrath. Merely describe how you escape, and do any end of Issue moves and Infamy purchases.

Breaking Point

Post the thing we worked on. :)

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 18, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 3/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: None | Location: Driving through the streets of DOOM very UNSAFELY

A strange hiss wafted through the air, on closer inspection being the closest thing Whisperwind could manage to a whistle. Well, would have wafted, anyway, if it wasn't currently being drowned out by the speakers of Whisperwind's car, going full blast, but with nobody around really paying attention. Really, with the bang of battle gradually disappearing into the distance (and more importantly, for his allies to worry about), and his earlier panic quickly receding, it was difficult for Whisperwind to not be oh so very pleased in himself. As he drove, he caught a glimpse of a giant screen on the side of a skyscraper, a breaking news report detailing their jaunt. Currently they were pontificating on why there was no real police presence on the scene, with the correspondent giving half-hearted excuses and pointing blame on that 'new memory villain'. Haha, oh so very pleased indeed.

A smarmy tone infiltrated the comms.

"Well. All's well that ends well, right?"

"Anarchy gets a giant robot, Phantom gets to find the secret treasure, Nethers gets like, what, triple shares of loot AND to punch a skyscraper, and most importantly, I get to make away with the sweetest ride this side of town."

"Haha."

Really, Whisperwind thought it hilarious. Riding the most garish, easily identifiable car in the city, hiding some of its most wanted, right under the noses of the Forces of Justice with them none the wiser due to his power? Well. Whisperwind thought it funny, at least.

"Seriously though, honey", a magical whisper found itself in Anarchy's ear, "Nice work with the bot, real supervillain stuff. Didn't see it coming at all~"

"Some advice however? Might want to give Nethers her cut since she'll probably wreck you otherwise." And more importantly, Whisperwind did not want the ravine between her most priced ally and her girlfriend to grow unmanageable. That would leave him in an unenviable position.

But that was an issue for another time. Now was the time to celebrate. Perhaps he could take his new ride through a bunch of drive-thru's around town and not pay for any of the meals? Haha, yeah, that sounded like a pretty neat way to unwind for the evening.

quote:

Theantero: WW, are you Infamous at End of Caper?
Krysmbot: Theantero, 8+3 = 11

Agenda: Went along with Anarchy's accusation of wanting to be hit by girls, giving me Influence over her (I'm shifting her Superior up and Trouble down since clearly her actions here prove she's more supervillain material than a mere shifty crook)! BP guessed my Agenda, "Get WW a sweet ride, preferably a really garish one" correctly, giving her Influence over me (which she already has, so shift my labels if you will), and also giving me Curses!

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Curses! 1/5 | Conditions: | Infamy: 2

Netherwrath had been torn at by nano-bots, crushed under gravity fields, and caught feet away from ground-zero of a localised space-time collapse. She sprung to her feet, battered and beaten, called out, "Big tree squirrel, gnaw gnaw time," and then collapsed into unconsciousness. Her body started to burn with a black aura as her innate healing factor began to kick in. However, she was completely helpless in this state. The others had already been forced to bail, the Freedom Force was on their way. It seemed incarceration was in Netherwrath's immediate future. But then! The sound of a motorcycle engine cut through the air. Mongo, summoned minutes ago but stymied by the chaos on the ground, finally roared onto the scene! With demonic tenacity, it somehow got the comatose Netherwrath onto its saddle and then roared off down the street and into history!

When she finally awoke, Netherwrath wasn't exactly happy she'd missed out on the big finale, and of course BP was going to get the kill credit just because she died to do it. Ugh. Still, Whisperwind owed her, Ex-Patriot owed her, she'd punched a building into the ocean and came out of this heist basically unscathed. It was a success in most of the ways she measured it. Still, when she came out of her healing coma, Netherwrath had been tired, loopy, and frankly a little maudlin. Ex-Patriot came to check in on her, and Netherwrath had clapped her on the back, said she was a great leader, a great friend, and forgave her the one-third share of the non-existent loot. After a night of normal sleep, Netherwrath finally came back to her senses, but at that point it was a little too late to walk it back. Guess she had to live with it now.

[14:28] Green_Bean Netherwrath Takes a Powerful Blow!
[14:28] Green_Bean !r 2d6+1
[14:28] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 9+1 = 10

Netherwrath "must remove [her]self from the situation: flee, pass out, etc."

[14:44] Green_Bean End of Caper for Netherwrath
[14:45] Green_Bean !r 2d6+3
[14:45] Krysmbot Green_Bean, 6+3 = 9

Netherwrath gains Infamy. I'll say she pissed off Snapshot - perhaps because coverage of Netherwrath's stunt with the building is a little too positive and overshadowed something she did that was arguably less...ambiguously heroic.

Netherwrath will seek succour with Ex-Pat, forgiving her share of the heist (the share that they didn't have.), and clearing Paranoid.

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 18, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses!: 4/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: None | Location: Safehouse of DOOM
"Hey Phantom."

It was Whisperwind, intercepting the thief at their safehouse.

"Would have knocked, but you know", Whisperwind smacked his knuckles against the door frame silently, "Doubt I could have gotten your attention."

"Haha."

"But anyway, I think I promised you drinks and such? For being the first to the secret treasure? And also for totally snubbing you that first time around? Well, Whisperwind is a villain of his word", he said, and brandished a couple of admittedly very fancy bottles of various alcoholic beverages, "Don't know how much this counts for since literally all of these are stolen, though."

"Haha."

"So how about it? We go have a totally sweet mandate, come back home to reminisce about past heists? And really it's been way too long since we went on a mission, just the two of us."

Whisperwind set the bottles on a table, and beckoned for PT to step outside. "And there's another thing I've been working on, something I want to show off a bit if I'm being honest."

"Behold", Whisperwind intoned in particularly raspy whisper that would probably have been a loud yell, if he were capable of such. What stood parked on the driveway was the car he made off with during the caper, the garish pink one. Except it now had neon green flame decals, and a glowing golden yellow cursive script reading Flickerwisp on the driver side. Strange runes seem to cover it, flickering into view occasionally on the periphery of your vision, but they always disappear when you try to look straight at them.

It was the most hideous thing that anybody had probably ever rode on.

"Isn't she a beaut?"

"Haha."

End of Caper: WW hangs out with PT! He gains influence over me (read, shift my labels), and I gain Curses!

I spend my Infamy on an Asset: Flickerwisp, WW's new car, super garish and enchanted. Fades from memory similar to WW, can teleport similar to WW and be summoned by him. Basically something that allows him to easily utilize his powers with a vehicle.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007

Freak: +1 | Danger: +2 | Trouble: -1 | Superior: +0 | Menace: +2

Expatriot shifted her eye out from behind her rifle, squinting at the reality sundering distortion of space-time that had ingulfed the only member of the team who knew her without a mask. She was still kind of pissed at Naomi over things that happened on the mission, sure, but she had to admit that the cybernetic arms heiress was responsible enough to clean up her own messes. She might not reenter the local time stream for weeks … or she might not be coming back at all. There was no sense in sticking around then.

“Well, that’s one problem handled.” She sighed, looking at the empty bandolier of freezing bullets next to her as she stood up. She didn’t even want to think about how many resources she’d wasted on this job … a job she wasn’t even going to get paid for. She spat off to the side, refitting her mask to her face before walking back into the Overcompensator. She paused a bit in the entrance, the glare of singularity rendering her in silhouette as she looked at the heroes in her vehicle, visor burning red before the armored ramp shut behind her. It’d be so easy to just toss them out here, attach a communicator to one dialed to the Freedom Force’s distress band and let the heroes sort this mess out on their own.

“Get comfortable.” She growled, walking passed them and back to the driver’s compartment. Naomi had seemed to think that there was something going on under Urameshi’s home that she’d want to know about. Of course, now she was gone, which meant she’d have to rely on other sources, and the only people who’d been under Urameshi’s home were Phantom Thief and these poor heroes. Heroes who smelt too much like the lab she’d been grown in, stirring all kinds of ugly memories that only served to further sour her mood. A debriefing was in order, she had to know what they’d experienced.

“Good shooting.” She said as she closed the hatch to the crew compartment behind her, patting Phantom Thief’s shoulder again before she fell back into the driver’s seat. “…We should clear out before we lose anyone else.” She added a little bitterly, pushing the throttle up again. The Overcompensator lurched into motion again, though Expatriot didn’t feel the need to go crashing through everything now that she didn’t have BP-X gunning for her team. It was comparatively peaceful, the heavy duty suspension keeping the ride level now that she wasn’t dangerously slewing around.

“…Dammit.” She said sounding a little choked up, she blinked behind her mask to keep her view from getting too blurry. Without warning or preamble, she plugged something in her pocket into an auxillary port on the dashboard. A guitar riff started playing as her dashboard displayed “We Are The Empty – Kings and Clones”. Turning off all of the exterior lights and trusting the IR cameras on the vehicle to guide her, Expatriot guided the Overcompensator off the road and down into a deep rain channel. A light on her dashboard went from red to green as she veered to the side, the metal grating falling on a hinge in front of her and letting her drive right over it before she transitioned back into the tunnels under the city.

She just focused on the road for the time being, putting off thinking about the next steps until she got where she was going.

[16:08] <JusticeGrieves> Expat tests for infamy
[16:08] <JusticeGrieves> !r 2d6+3
[16:08] <Krysmbot> JusticeGrieves, 2+3 = 5
[16:08] <JusticeGrieves> Sounds about right.
Nope, I mark Curses! and take an Advance … which will be determined later.

Expat will be Striking Out On Her Own during downtime, and shift -Superior/+Danger.

The Overcompensator drove through the tunnels for miles, making the journey from one pool of light to another in the subterranean network. Still, she seemed to know where she was going, there were no maps displayed on the console in front of her. Instead, she pressed a key on the dashboard, opening up a secure comm line somewhere. Behind her mask, she glanced over at Phantom Thief before turning to watch the road again.

“What’s the status on the infirmary?” she asked, apparently managing to wrestle her voice back into control for the moment.

“We just got the lights turned on this morning. It’s a bit understaffed, but it should do as long as things aren’t too bad…” came a gruff masculine response, “What happened?”

“Picked up three heroes who were undergoing some kind of experimentation.” She guessed, based on the smell, “I want them evaluated and stabilized until I can confer with the rest of the team.” She said. “The Team”, ha, that was an optimistic way to describe them.

“We’ll have to transfer some specialists for something like that … there’ll be a surcharge.” Came the response.

“Of course there will be.” She said darkly, fingers gripping the controls, “I’ll take care of it. Fill out the paper work and prepare whoever we have to receive them. I’ll be there in five minutes.” She said, closing the connection. She sighed. Great, she was going to need to come up with some cash quickly, and now this job was a total bust. Couldn’t trust the team, apparently, so she’d just have to do something herself … there was probably something she could manage. It was going to be ugly though, no time to formulate a clever plan.

Sure enough, in five minutes, she came to a massive metal door, some water-staining in the concrete around it suggesting that it connected out into the ocean. She transmitted a code, causing yellow warning lights to begin spinning, a loud buzzer announcing that the door would begin to open before there was a sharp hiss and a low rumble. The door began withdrawing horizontally into the walls, though as the gap widened it was apparent there were at least two other sets of doors opening vertically. As the doors receded, they revealed a sprawling structure, lines demarking paths for traffic to follow with stadium lighting keeping the place brilliantly lit. BRANCH technicians were busy fitting pneumatic arms to tracks on the ceiling, racks of missiles and ammunition stacked high along one wall where a circular space was marked out for the Overcompensator. Along another wall was the Mustang that Phantom Thief had appropriated on their behalf during the last job, apparently having been restored during the down time between jobs, though there was plenty of space to store a small fleet of vehicles.

If Phantom Thief had wondered how she’d intended to store the Protectron-5, that was one more mystery solved. She rolled into the garage and dropped the back ramp, a pair of men in white coats with BRANCH logos on arm-bands rushing forward with beds on rollers, though it looked like they’d drafted a few of the blue collar workers to help them move the heroes. Climbing out of her chair, Expatriot began to follow them, no one stopping to check her for identification or clearance.

“So…” she said, sounding a little awkward, “This is where I’ve been staying since I moved out.” She rolled her shoulders slightly, “Didn’t plan to show any of you for another week or two, but, you know…” she trailed off, apparently not entirely certain what to say.

“Harder for the Freedom Force to find us here than the safehouse.” She finally resolved.

Expatriot cashes in her 1 Infamy to acquire a new Asset: Secret Base

Justice Grieves fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 18, 2016

• Locked thread