Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Geomancing posted:

You have defeated the guardian and shattered the glamour that has has stopped anyone from reaching further into the Labyrinth for hundreds of years. In the time it took you to return to town and report your success, guards, adventurers and wanderers have fully explored every floor up to the next boss, and have a litany of requests, advice, and favors to ask of you.

Maybe this wasn't quite clear, but the barrier wasn't stopping people from getting to the next stratum, it was just making it harder and a bunch of weaker explorers were getting lost and dying. There are still people who are much higher up than you by this point. We just got out of the newbie zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Reapers are a weird front line support class that have options for dealing multi-target physical damage. Their primary role is weakening enemies through a few ailments and debuffs--beyond that, they can either expand their damage options as Death-Bringing Reapers, or double up on debuffs and support skills as Death-Warding Reapers. Both options kind of occupy weird niches, though, and to be honest, it's kind of hard to say what kinds of parties would really need a Reaper. Still, they're useful enough, and multi-target damage is actually relevant for more bosses than you'd think. The primary issue with Reapers, though, is TP. Their skills almost universally start out costing a boatload, and only get worse as you level up--and remember that Earthruns, their base race, have the worst TP in the game.

Stats

Earthrun Base

Death-Bringing Reaper: Damage and ailments
(Full stat table)

Death-Warding Reaper: Supporting
(Full stat table)

Basic gist of the stats: Death-Bringing Reapers get more HP, STR, and LUC, while Death-Warding Reapers get more TP, VIT, WIS, and AGI.

Reapers can equip swords (useless, since all of their attack skills require scythes) and scythes, and can wear light armor and clothes.

For reclassing: again, when it comes to damage specs, Therians could be used for more STR, although that's not as great an option for Death-Bringing Reapers, since they also rely somewhat on LUC. If you don't care about Scythe of Transcience for Death-Warding Reapers, you could reclass a Brownie into one for more TP and WIS.

Basic Skills

Scythe Mastery
Requirements: None

Increases damage dealt with scythes.

Gather Souls

Increases the encounter rate for a certain number of steps. Increases EXP earned from battles.

Um. Useful for grinding up new party members maybe? Completely redundant for me, since I have the DLC.

Miasma Weapon
Body parts used: Arms

Consumes a percentage of the user's current HP to place the Miasma Weapon state on them.

A central skill for a good chunk of Reaper skills. The Miasma Weapon state doesn't do anything on its own, but it enables secondary effects, such as ailments on Scythe skills, and is required to use skills like Shroud of Reality.

Preemptive Weapon
Requirements: Miasma Weapon level 2

Gives the user a chance to be placed in the Miasma Weapon state at the start of battle.

Kinda useful if you rely on Scythe of Cruel Poison for clearing out random encounters, or Scythe of Death for deleting troublesome enemies. Not too great for FOE or boss fights, though. I'd say it couldn't hurt to put one, or even five, points in it--I wouldn't max it out, though.

Endless Shroud

Gives the user a chance to be placed in the Miasma Weapon state when using a debuff skill.

More useful for Death-Warding Reapers than Death-Bringing Reapers, although ironically, Death-Bringing Reapers want the Miasma Weapon state more than Death-Warding Reapers do.

Death's Judgement

As long as the user is in the Miasma Weapon state, whenever they lose HP (either through damage or self-inflicted HP loss), they have a chance to attempt to inflict sleep on one enemy. The base chance of the sleep infliction is 100%.

Something to put skill points into once you've run out of other skills, I guess. 100% base chance is decent, but the actual activation chance sucks even at level 10.

Frail Miasma
Body parts used: Head

Reduces all enemies' attack for a set amount of turns. Has an 85% speed modifier at all levels.

Attack debuffs have never been my thing in EO games, and it certainly isn't here. 9 or 10 skill points for a 20% reduction?!

Feeble Miasma
Requirements: Frail Miasma level 3

Reduces all enemies' resistance to ailments and binds for a set amount of turns. Has an 85% speed modifier at all levels.

Now that's more like it. Not just useful for the Reaper themself, it's even better if you have other disablers like Cesti or Smoke-focused Herbalists on your team. Doesn't seem to be bugged like disable resistances modifiers were in EO2U, either!

Scythe of Numb Stasis/Exorcism
Requirements: None for Numb Stasis, Scythe of Numb Stasis level 3 for Exorcism

Deals melee STR-based cut damage to one row of enemies. If the user is in the Miasma Weapon state, attempts to inflict paralysis/curse on hit targets. Has a 60% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Numb Stasis has its uses early on, when your overall access to useful ailments is limited, and your only available debilitating ailments are paralysis and sleep--it starts to become far less useful once you get specializations and more skill points, though. Exorcism is useless all game, though, so don't worry about that.

Death-Bringing Reaper Skills
Common Passives: TP Up, Curb ATK Up

Black Blade

When the user is in the Miasma Weapon state, increases their damage when they inflict an ailment.

Three ailment inflictions equals almost double damage? Even just two of them equals 66%? Gimme gimme gimme. My only caveat is consider how likely it is for other party members to inflict ailments before your Reaper does, and how likely you are to inflict three ailments from just your Reaper alone, before investing in that last level--that mostly comes down to how quickly your party can finish FOE/boss fights.

Black Shroud

When the user is in the Miasma Weapon state, increases their defense when they inflict an ailment.

This, on the other hand, can go straight in the garbage.

Fresh Blood Slash
Requirements: Death's Judgement level 3

Consumes a percentage of the user's current HP to deal 2-4 instances of melee STR-based cut damage to random enemies. Can hit the same target multiple times. Has a 50% speed modifier and -10 base accuracy at all levels.

Fresh Blood Slash can actually deal pretty good damage if it hits three or four times, especially given its TP cost. The only problem is the level 10 HP cost is actually pretty steep, although the speed modifier plus scythes having speed penalties also means that you can usually use this after the enemy's taken their turn. Like its prerequisite implies, it can also activate Death's Judgement, if you care about that passive.

Great Scythe of Cold Ash
Requirements: Death's Judgement level 3

Deals melee STR-based cut+ice damage to one row of enemies. If a target has an ailment, they are also hit with an extra melee STR-based cut+ice damage attack that deals double the damage of the first hit. Has a 75% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Probably the most reliable of the Death-Bringing Reaper skills--I say most reliable because Fresh Blood Slash is a random number of hits, and Shroud of Reality requires ending the Miasma Weapon state. You really need to be careful with how many points you put into Great Scythe of Cold Ash--Reaper skills are expensive as is, and levels 5 to 9 (let alone 10) will drain their TP dry in less than double digit casts for almost all of the game.

Shroud of Reality
Requirements: Fresh Blood Slash level 3, Great Scythe of Cold Ash level 3

Requires the Miasma Weapon state to use. Ends the Miasma Weapon state immediately, and takes the user out of battle. At the end of the turn, deals melee STR-based cut damage to one enemy, and returns the user to battle. Has +50 base accuracy at all levels.

Shroud of Reality is best used not as a consistent damage skill, but as something you use on the last turn of Miasma Weapon if you don't need to inflict any ailments. Trying to use it as a normal damage skill is not only inefficient in terms of damage, it's also an even bigger drain on a Reaper's TP than Great Scythe of Cold Ash.

Scythe of Cruel Poison
Requirements: Scythe of Exorcism level 3

Deals melee STR-based cut damage to one row of enemies. If the user is in the Miasma Weapon state, attempts to inflict poison on hit targets. Has a 60% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

The best poison skill in the game--if you want a frame of reference for how the base damage actually scales, I relied pretty heavily on Scythe of Cruel Poison in my most recent non-LP run of EO5, and when fighting the 3rd Stratum boss (meaning a Reaper around level 40), Scythe of Cruel Poison's poison ticked for a little over 600 damage.

Scythe of Wicked Chaos
Requirements: Scythe of Exorcism level 3

Deals melee STR-based cut damage to one row of enemies. If the user is in the Miasma Weapon state, attempts to inflict panic on hit targets. Has a 60% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Scythe of Wicked Chaos is unfortunately kind of hamstrung by panic chances just innately being lower than most other ailments, due to how powerful panic is and how it can easily cheese most boss fights.

Scythe of Death
Requirements: Scythe of Cruel Poison level 3, Scythe of Wicked Chaos level 3

Deals melee STR-based cut damage to one enemy. Attempts to instantly kill the target. The damage and instant kill chance are increased if the target is asleep. The damage in the table image accounts for the 1.5x sleep damage bonus. Has a 20% speed modifier and -10 base accuracy at all levels.

A skill that just screams "PLEASE USE ME FOR SLEEP BOMBING, PLEASE." Good luck ever really making use of the instant death component, but holy moly that damage.

Death-Warding Reaper Skills
Common Passives: HP Up, Mag DEF Up

Absorb Vitality

When the user inflicts a debuff, their HP is restored. The restoration from Absorb Vitality can increase the user's maximum HP for one turn.

Free sustain and a bit of extra durability for a turn! Absorb Vitality's worth dropping leftover points into, but I wouldn't prioritize it.

Death Resistance
Requirements: Endless Shroud level 5

Gives the user a chance to nullify ailments and debuffs inflicted on them. Does not apply to binds, instant death, or stun.

I guess one point for a 10% chance to stop an ailment isn't bad, but I wouldn't invest nine more just to bring the chance up to 25%.

Blood of Atonement
Requirements: Death Resistance level 5

Requires the Miasma Weapon state to use. Ends the Miasma Weapon state immediately, and restores all party members' HP. Also has a chance to cure ailments. Has an 85% speed modifier at all levels.

Earthrun have pretty bad WIS, the speed modifier plus the speed penalties scythes impose can mean that Blood of Atonement can go late in the turn, and the ailment cure chance isn't even guaranteed at level 10. Can you tell I'm a little shaky on Blood of Atonement? Its only real use is if you know ahead of time that some big attack that inflicts ailments is coming.

Wall of Miasma
Requirements: Death Resistance level 5

Requires the Miasma Weapon state to use. Ends the Miasma Weapon state immediately, and gives all party members a chance to nullify any ailments or binds for one turn. Wall of Miasma has a limit to how many inflictions it can block. Has standard priority.

Barrier from EO2U, but innately stronger (doesn't require a certain level or above of a passive to be guaranteed) and less spammable. I actually do really like Wall of Miasma, both from a design perspective (it fixes a lot of the things that were dumb about Barrier), and from a practicality perspective.

Brittle Miasma
Requirements: Feeble Miasma level 3

Reduces all enemies' defense for a set amount of turns. Has an 85% speed modifier at all levels.

Defense debuffs! Kind of weird that this is a specialization skill, but hey, defense debuff! You can't go wrong with them, unless you're already stacking tons of attack buffs on your party.

Dim Miasma
Requirements: Feeble Miasma level 3

Reduces all enemies' non-base accuracy for a set amount of turns. Has an 85% speed modifier at all levels.

Accuracy debuffs? Blech.

Scythe of Transcience
Requirements: Brittle Miasma level 5, Dim Miasma level 5

Targets one enemy. Removes all debuffs from the target, and deals multiple instances of melee STR-based cut damage to the target. The number of hits is equal to the number of debuffs removed from the target. Debuffs are removed before dealing damage. Has a 75% speed modifier at all levels. Does not check for accuracy.

Here it is: ironically, the best damage skill for a Reaper. If you purge off three debuffs from an enemy, Scythe of Transcience will deal 2100% damage. That's not terribly good damage per turn, mind you (three turns to debuff plus one turn to actually use Scythe of Transcience means you're effectively dealing 525% per turn, assuming you spam that rotation), but that's not really what Scythe of Transcience is for. It's for just getting a bit of damage when any debuffs you've used are already about to run out.

And hey, if you're using a Cestus, be sure to have them use a level 10 Giving it Everything on a Death-Warding Reaper that's about to perform a three-debuff Scythe of Transcience! They'll hit for 4200% damage, which is always fun.

Soul Transfer
Requirements: Brittle Miasma level 5, Dim Miasma level 5

Targets one enemy. Removes all debuffs from the target, and gives all party members a chance to revive after being killed for one turn. The revive can activate once per party member. Has standard priority.

The defensive counterpart to Scythe of Transcience. I dunno about you, but leaving a party member's fate up to a 75% chance that only lasts for one turn makes me kind of antsy. There's a few fights in the very lategame and postgame where you could make some use of Soul Transfer, I suppose, if you don't have any other reliable methods of dealing with potential party wipes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Huh. I thought making Barrier effectively only usable every other turn would have made it garbage, but from what it sounds like, it's still useful?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So the Reaper's second spec is actually alright? Their tree seems like a janky mix of conditional damage and support skills so I didn't think they'd be that good.

Why are you down on Cesti's Arm Block, by the way?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
In my ill-thought out opinion, disable resistance buffs aren't worth it unless they're ludicrously high (Health in EO2) or are just Barrier/Wall of Miasma.

Also yeah Death-Warding Reapers have a pretty janky skillset but the values attached to them mean that they work out better in practice.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

On the one hand, Death-Bringing Reapers just sound fun as heck with their ailments, but on the other hand, Barrier. It really feels like choosing between a Nightseeker's Venom Throw and a War Magus's Barrier skills between the two.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
Hm, interesting, glad to see another EO game, and I can't wait to get my greasy mitts on it when ATLUS brings it over.

Too bad I missed the Character creation. Unless the final party member will be an open call.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

BlackPersona posted:

On the one hand, Death-Bringing Reapers just sound fun as heck with their ailments, but on the other hand, Barrier. It really feels like choosing between a Nightseeker's Venom Throw and a War Magus's Barrier skills between the two.
the obvious answer is a five-reaper party

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Geomancing posted:

You have defeated the guardian and shattered the glamour that has has stopped anyone from reaching further into the Labyrinth for hundreds of years. In the time it took you to return to town and report your success, guards, adventurers and wanderers have fully explored every floor up to the next boss, and have a litany of requests, advice, and favors to ask of you.

That seems incredibly odd given that it's the second Stratum. Most Etrian Odyssey games establish in the fluff that people can make it to the second stratum, at least. It's after that that things tend to get a little weird, but EO5 apparently gets on the nonsense train extra-special early.

Well, that and the fact that there was a person waiting for us upstairs implies that maybe that seal wasn't as foolproof as suggested.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Warlocks are the elemental damage-focused spellcaster class of EO5, in the vein of Alchemists, Zodiacs, and Runemasters from previous EOs. To be honest, I could just end the intro block right there, but Warlocks do have some unique things going for them: namely, Incantations and their first specialization. Incantations are essentially charge skills with unique effects. A basic example is Incantation: Compression Form, which changes multi-target skills to single-target in exchange for more damage--basically letting you spend more TP to remove an unneeded multi-target benefit during, say, boss fights. In addition to that, there's also High-Speed Incantation, a Basic passive that makes it so that a Warlock can cast both an Incantation and an attack skill on the same turn. Their first specialization also gives them the ability to inflict INT-based physical damage, something the series hasn't really tried since the Phys Up tree in EO2 and Meteor in EO3.

Stats

Lunarian Base

Master of the Six Ways: Physical damage, disables, and multi-hit
(Full stat table)

Ruler of Fire, Ice, and Lightning: Laser-focus on elemental damage
(Full stat table)

Basic gist of the stats: Masters of the Six Ways get more HP, VIT, WIS, and LUC, while Rulers of Fire, Ice, and Lightning get more TP and INT.

Warlocks can equip staves and artillery, and can wear clothes.

There's legitimately no good reclass options for Warlocks that I can think of. Unlike the Earthrun classes, who largely deal physical damage, Lunarian classes can't really be effectively used by anyone other than Lunarians, due to their damage entirely being based on INT.

Basic Skills

Magi Mastery

Increases damage dealt with Warlock skills.

High-Speed Incantation
Requirements: Magi Mastery level 5

Removes the need to use a turn to use Incantation skills, but increases the TP cost of Incantation skills as well. High-Speed Incantation is a permanent passive--it cannot be turned off once learned!

High-Speed Incantation fundamentally changes how a Warlock is used, and that change isn't necessarily good. To use Compression as an example, if you use a level 10 Fireball and a level 10 Compression, with level 5 High-Speed Incantation, your Warlock essentially now deals 2.25x of their normal damage on every turn. However, you're now also spending an extra 20 TP per turn on applying Compression--over a two turn period, Fireball would deal 472% damage for 33 TP without a High-Speed-influenced Compression, while High-Speed would mean your Warlock would deal 944% damage for 76 TP.

In the late and postgame, where you start getting better TP restorations (Amrita IIs, mostly), and Rulers of Fire, Ice, and Lightning get Cost Cut access, this TP cost spike can become manageable, but before then, you really need to have a good grasp on how quickly your party can end FOE/boss fights, because High-Speed Incantation could easily mean your Warlock will run out of TP far before anyone else in your party.

Fireball / Icicle Lance / Lightning
Body parts used: head

(Fireball)
(Icicle Lance)
(Lightning)

Deals ranged INT-based fire/ice/volt damage. Fireball targets one enemy and deals splash damage, Icicle Lance targets one enemy and has a line-piercing effect, Lightning targets one row of enemies. Fireball has a 70% speed modifier at all levels, Icicle Lance has no speed modifier at all levels, Lightning has a 130% speed modifier at all levels. All have 130 base accuracy at all levels.

The basic Warlock attack skills. I don't have much to say about the skills themselves, but I should note something about the elements: if you're trying to min-max how effective a Warlock is in early boss fights, note that no boss before the postgame is exclusively weak to fire--Golem and the final boss are exclusively weak to ice, the 2nd Stratum boss is exclusively weak to volt, and the 3rd and 4th Strata bosses are weak to everything.

Amplifier

Increases all party members' INT-based attack for a set number of turns. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

If you don't have a Shaman on your team, there's worse things you could do than having your Warlock focus on Amplifier early on, mostly because leveling up the attack skills too much early on will give your Warlock really bad TP issues, meaning that any buffs you can give them to increase their damage are pretty valuable

Magic Shield
Requirements: Amplifier level 2

Reduces INT-based damage to all party members for one turn. Has a 500% speed modifier at all levels.

I made use of this during Golem to ensure my party could live through Explosion, but beyond that, I don't think much of Magic Shield, mostly because I'm not that big a fan of having a damage dealer class perform support duties.

Incantation: Compression Form

On the next turn, multi-target skills (does not apply to Alter or Magic Weapon, basically) will only hit one target, but gain increased damage as well. Has a 60% speed modifier at all levels.

Oh man, Compression, look what they did to you... Remember how Compression cost 5 TP at level 20 in EO2U, and buffed all-target attacks for double damage at the same level? Remember how that lasted for effectively three turns, too? Yeah, uh, now it costs 15 TP for 2.25x damage for one attack. That doesn't mean it's bad, mind you--far from it, since it means your Warlock isn't wasting potential damage on keeping multi-target targeting in FOE/boss fights. It's just... Jesus, I knew Compression was powerful, but that's one of the most severe nerfs to a single skill I've seen in the entire EO series.

Levitation

For a set number of steps, damage tiles are negated, and the chance of getting a preemptive attack is increased.

Labyrinth skills, blehhhhhhh. I don't mind one point in Levitation since the 3rd Stratum and 6th Stratum's primary gimmicks are damage tiles, but any more than that is a ludicrous waste.

Invisible

For a set number of steps, reduces the encounter rate.

Reduce the amount of EXP your party gets overall. What a fantastic idea.

Master of the Six Ways Skills
Common Passives: TP Up, Mag DEF Up

Reserve Magic

If the user attacked using a different element than the one they're using this turn (say, they casted Fireball on the last turn and Icicle Lance on this turn), the previous turn's element is added to this one, and damage is increased--the Fireball/Icicle Lance example would result in Icicle Lance being fire+ice. Only the base element of the skill used on the last turn counts for Reserve Magic--you can't daisy-chain various Reserve Magic elements together. Reserve Magic resets every other turn, including the damage bonus.

A pretty neat passive that encourages varying up the skills you use and lets the physical skills still hit elemental weaknesses. What's not to love? Even if you don't want to drop 10 skill points on a 25% damage bonus, at least put one in for the element copy effect.

Windstorm
Requirements: Fireball level 3, Icicle Lance level 3, Lightning level 3

Deals ranged INT-based cut damage to all enemies. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms. Has no speed modifier and 130 base accuracy at all levels.

The physical skills! Windstorm's probably the most "generically useful," I guess, of the three, mostly because arm binds are pretty useful, and a Multistrike Windstorm has a pretty decent chance of inflicting them.

Earth Spike

Deals ranged INT-based stab damage to all enemies. Reduces hit targets' INT-based attack for one turn. Has no speed modifier and 130 base accuracy at all levels.

...Well, uh, that's a... Okay, I won't mince words, that's a pretty garbage secondary effect.

Rockfall

Deals ranged INT-based bash damage to all enemies. Attempts to stun hit targets. Has a 150% speed modifier and 130 base accuracy at all levels.

Rockfall isn't that fantastic on its own, but when used with Multistrike, it actually has a pretty decent shot at stunning something that doesn't have 10% resistance to stun! Unfortunately, most bosses do have 10% resistance to stun, but hey.

Requirements: Windstorm level 5, Earth Spike level 5, Rockfall level 5

Three turns after casting, deals ranged INT-based bash damage to one enemy at the start of the turn. Attempts to inflict petrification on the target. Initial prep has a 90% speed modifier at all levels. Actual hit has 200 base accuracy at all levels.

Alter is pretty drat strange. It costs a boatload of TP, doesn't deal that much damage, has a three-turn delay, and can't be affected by either Compression or Multistrike due to the delay. On the other hand, that petrification chance is pretty decent, and a decent chunk of late and postgame bosses have 50% (or more) resistance to petrification.

Anti-Magic
Requirements: Magic Shield level 5

Gives a chance to negate INT-based attacks on the user's row.

...Neato. Something for leftover skill points.

Life Drain
Requirements: Anti-Magic level 3

When the user hits an enemy's weakness (101% resistance or higher), their Union gauge is restored.

Union restoration's always good (especially since Lunarians actually have pretty decent Union skills), and Reserve Magic means you can proc Life Drain even when using physical skills.

Incantation: Multistrike Form
Requirements: Incantation: Compression Form level 5

On the next turn, skills will become multi-hit. Multistrike Form versions of skills deal 2-6 instances of damage. Each hit deals a percentage of the skill's normal damage. Has a 60% speed modifier at all levels.

Multistrike does more than just overall increasing damage. Remember how the physical skills all had extra effects attached? For Windstorm and Rockfall, each hit of a Multistrike version will attempt to inflict their disable. That alone makes it worth investing in, in my eyes, although I'd probably stop at either level 4 or level 9 for a while.

Ruler of Fire, Ice, and Lightning Skills
Common Passives: Mag ATK Up, Curb DEF Up

Common Magic

If a party member used an INT-based attack before the user, the user's damage is increased.

A strong argument for having another spellcaster in your party (say, a Shaman with Oracle: Dance), or at least stocking up on tons of Jars. Warlocks are just generally slow due to staff/artillery speed penalties and Lunarians having low AGI, so you can pretty much almost always get a Common Magic bonus if you actively try to.

Explode / Ice Stream / Thunder Break
Requirements:
  • Fireball level 5 for Explode
  • Icicle Lance level 5 for Ice Stream
  • Lightning level 5 for Thunder Break

Deals ranged INT-based fire/ice/volt damage to all enemies. Has an 80% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy at all levels.

I don't have a lot to say about these beyond "you'll need points in them" and "for the love of god think about how much you need levels in them early on," because seriously, I talked about potential TP issues before, but good lord.

Magic Leak
Requirements: Explode level 3, Ice Stream level 3, Thunder Break level 3

Places a buff on the user that restores a percentage of any TP they use to a random party member for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Nnnnnnnnnot something I'm terribly interested in. The fact that it randomly targets one party member kind of kills it for me.

Cost Cut
Requirements: Explode level 3, Ice Stream level 3, Thunder Break level 3

Gives a chance for the user to not expend TP when using a skill.

Free Energy, but it requires 10 levels now. Worth putting points into if you don't want to level up attack skills because of TP costs!

Magic Weapon
Requirements: Magic Shield level 3

Deals INT-based damage to one enemy. The range and element are determined by the user's equipped weapon and any extra effects on it (since Warlocks can only equip staves or artillery, if one had a Prayer: Purple Lightning effect, for example, Magic Weapon would deal bash+volt damage and be ranged). Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Magic Weapon is kind of bizarre, and it unfortunately isn't affected by Compression, but it can actually hurt quite a lot, and the damage to TP ratio is super efficient. The only downside to it is that you need your Warlock in the front row to make it actually hurt a lot, which...is actually a pretty big downside.

Incantation: Reduction Form
Requirements: Incantation: Compression Form level 5

On the next turn, reduces the damage of the user's next skill, but also reduces its TP cost. Has a 60% speed modifier at all levels.

...Eh. My big problem with Reduction is that you can't stack multiple Incantations on one turn, meaning that you not only lose out on damage from it, you also lose out on Compression damage. All to effectively save 20 (15 with level 5 High-Speed Incantation) TP per skill.

Rea fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 9, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

High-Speed Incantation
This just keeps making me think of "Blahblahblah. Tidal Wave!"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Wait, so Shroud of Reality acts like Jump from FF? If so, here's another possible use for it: Dodging a big attack that would probably kill Raven. Then again, you're so good you probably wouldn't need it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The problem with Shroud of Reality is that it removes the Miasma Weapon effect, which is pretty much mandatory for that class. For example, using it would remove the buff from Black Blade (before the hit occurs!). Yeah, you could use it on the last turn of Miasma Weapon, or... you could spend that turn refreshing the effect instead. Using it just has a huge cost that outweighs any possible benefit of avoiding damage. If the attack was going to kill your Reaper, you were probably going to lose your entire party anyway because Reapers aren't exactly squishy. Earthrun having the most hit points of any race, etc etc.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
It was just a minor observation, I wasn't asking you to use it like that. You know, hypothetical "What if?" scenario.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Necromancers are a pseudo-damage dealer pseudo-support summon-focused class--probably the oddest class in EO5 by a large margin. Their skillset is all over the place and comprises several different possible roles, with one central theme tying it all together: ghosts. Necromancers, like Hounds, are focused entirely on their summons--in fact, Necromancers basically can't do poo poo without ghosts, because most of their skills require killing at least one ghost to do something. Depending on the specialization you pick, Necromancers might not work so well with a Dragoon that uses Bunker/Pillbox or a Hound, since summon slots are limited and you ideally want as many ghosts out at one time as possible.

Stats

Lunarian Base

Spirit-Summoning Necromancer: Support-ish
(Full stat table)

Spirit-Destroying Necromancer: Damage dealer-ish
(Full stat table)

Basic gist of the stats: Spirit-Summoning Necromancers get more TP, VIT, AGI, and LUC while Spirit-Destroying Necromancers get more HP, INT, and WIS.

Necromancers can equip coffins, and can wear clothes.

Ghost Stats
(Full stat table)

Ghosts have a lot of HP and a decent amount of STR (actually more than Therians have at level 99, without specializations) and LUC, and bad INT and AGI, which really don't matter. What does matter, though, is that their high HP is offset by their terrible VIT and WIS--they can eat a lot of damage, but their problem is that they take a lot more damage than a player would.

Much like Warlocks, there's really not any good reclass options for Necromancers.

Basic Skills

Ghost Mastery

Increases ghost normal attack damage, and the chance of them inflicting paralysis with their normal attacks.

Uh... Ghost normal attacks never really amount to much, and doubling them really won't help. The paralysis base chance is also (in my experience) low enough that multiplying it by six doesn't really help much.

Ghost Summoning

Consumes 15% of the user's current HP to create a ghost with a max HP bonus. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

One of two active ways to create a ghost--the other active one is part of a specialization, while the rest of them are all passives. Ghosts already have enough HP that I don't think leveling it up beyond what you need for other skills is necessary.

The Price of Life
Requirements: Ghost Summoning level 2

Destroys one ghost. Restores all party members' HP. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

Useful as an emergency party heal--it's also one of the few methods you get early on for healing your entire party at once--and by "few methods" I mean "it's the only Basic skill that heals the entire party," meaning your other option early on is Somas. Unfortunately, all-target attacks mean your ghosts will probably die along with your party being hurt, but them's the breaks.

Moaning Spirits

Destroys one ghost. Reduces one enemy's defense for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Defense debuff! If you want your Necromancer to play more of a supporting role, this is a pretty decent skill to pick up.

Soul Food

Destroys one ghost. Increases all party members' INT-based defense for a set amount of turns. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Nah. Raising defense exclusively against magic attacks isn't worth putting points in.

Merciless Wall
Requirements: Moaning Spirits level 2, Soul Food level 2

Targets one ghost. The selected ghost will tank all damage to the party until the end of the turn. The ghost under the effect of Merciless Wall has a modifier applied to all damage it takes. Has standard priority.

Merciless Wall is actually fairly useful for just taking some heat off your party for a bit, but, uh, don't expect ghosts to really be able to live long when using this. Even at level 10, ghosts will still take boatloads of damage because of their low VIT and WIS--plan your usage of Merciless Wall around this!

Gravekeeping Knowledge

If the user goes a turn without taking any damage, they have a chance to summon a ghost.

A few points in Gravekeeping Knowledge can be useful, especially if you're using a dodgetank Fencer to just keep attacks off the rest of your party, but I wouldn't invest fully in it.

Ghost Reincarnation
Requirements: Gravekeeping Knowledge level 3

When a ghost is destroyed in battle, the user has a chance to summon another one.

Ghost Reincarnation is more useful for Ghost-Destroying Necromancers, since they have more skills that just destroy multiple ghosts at once.

Poison Bomb

Destroys one ghost. Attempts to inflict poison on all enemies. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Definitely one of the better skills to rush for at early levels--although note that "rush for" does not necessarily mean "get to 10 as soon as possible." It costs way less than Fire Bomb does, and'll deal far more damage once it actually lands. Combine with Poison Smoke (assuming that doesn't inflict its own poison) for easy inflictions!

Fire Bomb

Destroys one ghost. Deals ranged INT-based fire damage to all enemies. Has no speed modifier and 150 base accuracy at all levels.

Less than useful early on, despite me tossing points into it early on. It does deal an okay amount of damage, but holy cripes that TP cost. Double digits for levels 1-4 on a Basic skill is incredibly unreasonable.

Spirit-Summoning Necromancer Skills
Common Passives: HP Up, Curb ATK Up

Ghost Secret Arts

Whenever any party member or enemy dies, the user has a chance to summon a ghost.

Ludicrously useless in boss fights, unless you come up with a strategy that involves constnatly intentionally letting party members die to create ghosts, in which case, uh... Well, props to you for that unique and inventive strategy!

Curse Transfer
Requirements: The Price of Life level 5

When the user takes fatal damage, if a ghost is currently summoned, they have a chance to destroy the ghost and restore a static amount of HP instead of dying.

I'm not convinced that 10 skill points are worth a 50% chance to endure mortal damage, mostly since Necromancers are extremely skill point-hungry.

Soul Trade
Requirements: Curse Transfer level 5

Destroys one ghost. Attempts to revive all dead party members. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

If you're in a situation where you'd need Soul Trade, you have bigger problems than relying on a 75% chance to bring someone back to life.

Open Grave
Requirements: Merciless Wall level 3

Targets one ally. For one turn, when that ally is attacked, all ghosts will counterattack. The counterattack overrides normal ghost attacks. Counterattacks attempt to inflict paralysis on hit targets. Each time a ghost counterattacks, the chance of Open Grave activating decreases by 9%. The base chance starts at 100%. Has a 300% speed modifier at all levels. Counterattacks has 120 base accuracy at all levels.

Useful if you have a Dragon's Roar tank or if you have Bunkers/Pillboxes out, I suppose. Remember that the damage will be less impressive than the number seems, since ghosts only have STR, with no weapon ATK.

Ghost Dance
Requirements: Open Grave level 5

For one turn, all ghosts will attack 3 times. Each attack's damage is multiplied at each level by a certain value. Has a 200% speed modifier at all levels. Benefits from Ghost Mastery.

Eh... The Ghost Mastery bonus makes Ghost Dance okay. Without it, though, it's really drat mediocre.

Curse Bomb
Requirements: Poison Bomb level 3

Destroys one ghost. Attempts to inflict curse on all enemies. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

l o l

Ice Bomb
Requirements: Fire Bomb level 3

Destroys one ghost. Deals ranged INT-based ice damage to all enemies. Has no speed modifier and 150 base accuracy at all levels.

Literally just Fire Bomb but with a different element.

Gravestone Binding
Requirements: Curse Bomb level 3, Ice Bomb level 3

Destroys all ghosts. Attempts to inflict petrification on one enemy. The base infliction chance depends on the number of ghosts destroyed. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Now here's something I can get behind! Petrification's a drat good ailment, and even just two ghosts gives a pretty good chance of inflicting it.

Spirit-Destroying Necromancer Skills
Common Passives: TP Up, Mag ATK Up

The Beckoning of Hades

When the user is below a certain HP threshold, they have a chance to summon a ghost at the end of a turn.

Those HP thresholds are too low for me to really recommend investing in The Beckoning of Hades, honestly.

Preemptive Ghost Summoning
Requirements: The Price of Life level 3

The user has a chance to use Ghost Summoning at the start of a battle.

A nice convenience for dungeon exploration, pretty useless in FOE/boss fights.

Equivalent Exchange
Requirements: Merciless Wall level 3

Destroys one ghost. Deals ranged untyped damage to one enemy. The damage is exactly equal to a percentage of how much HP the ghost had when it was destroyed. Has an 80% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy at all levels.

I don't think much of Equivalent Exchange on its own, but it's part of this standard rotation for Spirit-Destroying Necromancers:
  • Sacrifice
  • The Gates of Hell
  • Equivalent Exchange

You basically get 4.5x the damage of whatever The Gates of Hell would've dealt normally. Only downside to this rotation is that you need at least one ghost at all times to use Sacrifice, which means either having to take a turn to use Ghost Summoning, or hoping one of the passive summons activates.

Ghost Explosion
Requirements: Equivalent Exchange level 5

Destroys all ghosts. Deals ranged INT-based bash+fire damage to all enemies. The damage is based on how many ghosts were destroyed. Has no speed modifier and 150 base accuracy at all levels.

Three ghosts for 600% (INT) damage, at the cost of 45 TP, is...questionable.

Sacrifice

Destroys one ghost. Increases the user's damage until the end of the next turn. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

Given how much Necromancer skills cost innately, 25 TP for 2.25x damage could be worse. It's kind of hard to combo it with Ghost Explosion, though, since this requires, y'know, blowing up a ghost.

Negative Energy
Requirements: Sacrifice level 3

Deals ranged INT-based almighty damage to one enemy. For each party member and enemy that died on that turn, as well as for each ghost destroyed on that turn, the damage is increased by 150% (additive, not multiplicative). The damage has no cap. Has a -100% speed modifier at all levels. Does not check for accuracy.

What the gently caress is this worthless skill? I mean, maybe you can get use out of it in normal encounters, but still, what the gently caress?

The Gates of Hell
Requirements: Poison Bomb level 5, Fire Bomb level 5

Deals ranged INT-based bash damage to one enemy. Summons a ghost with HP equal to how much damage was dealt. Has an 80% speed modifier and 150 base accuracy at all levels.

Summon a ghost while dealing damage. I can think of worse ways to invest skill points. It's also part of the standard rotation for Spirit-Destroying Necromancers, so...

Zombie Powder
Requirements: The Gates of Hell level 5

Attempts to instantly kill one enemy. If the instant death succeeds, summons a ghost with HP equal to how much HP the enemy had left. Has a 50% speed modifier at all levels.

Ahaha, this loving skill. Okay, obviously this thing doesn't do much in boss fights, but it's useful for random encounters at level 10, and there's a fun exploit with it. See, there's a 4th Stratum FOE that has over 10,000 HP...but it's also weak to instant death ("weak" in the context of an FOE meaning 75%). Guess what happens when you kill it with Zombie Powder?

If you guessed "a ghost with 9999 HP spawns," congratulations! (Ghost HP totals, and player HP totals in general, have been capped at 9999 since EO2U.) Now, you could waste this amazing ghost on Merciless Wall... Or, you could go the fun route, and use it with Equivalent Exchange for 9999 guaranteed damage! If you want an idea of how useful that is, the final boss has 35347 HP. Want to just chop off 28% of its HP? Use the exploit! Want to deal 85% of the final boss's total HP in three turns? Bring along three of the 9999 HP ghosts! I mean, you'll have to walk the entire way to wherever you want to go, because Floor Jump doesn't exist anymore, but eh.

Rea fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 10, 2016

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

I think I saw something you missed...

Zombie Powder for the 9999 HP ghost...
Summon a normal one, blow it up with Curse Bomb (Repeat this step until Curse lands)...
Then use Merciless Wail on the Super-Ghost! The high HP means that it can survive being hit, and the low defenses means that the enemy can take a ton of Curse damage!

Hey, if I'm wrong at the very least I've aleviated any "Kill with Curse damage" conditionals, and if I'm right it might be a valid strategy!

But it's probably bad if I know my own brain well...

Junpei fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 11, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
lanzon has big, well-oiled muscles... but why do the male necromancers have such chiseled, adonisian bodies, which certainly have sent lesser beings than myself into a drooling fervor? they are babies who can't do anything without crying to the spirits of the ancestors. is it the coffins? do they really just carry those around all day? why? and if that's the case, why is that one female necromancer like, 8 years old and still able to do it? do they make baby-size coffins?

makes u think

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

alcharagia posted:

lanzon has big, well-oiled muscles... but why do the male necromancers have such chiseled, adonisian bodies, which certainly have sent lesser beings than myself into a drooling fervor? they are babies who can't do anything without crying to the spirits of the ancestors. is it the coffins? do they really just carry those around all day? why? and if that's the case, why is that one female necromancer like, 8 years old and still able to do it? do they make baby-size coffins?

makes u think

magic

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

you are a genius

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Negative Energy is weird - it seems like you want two Necromancers in a party to use it? One to summon ghosts and use Negative Energy, and one to blow up ghosts using Ghost Explosion? Weird gimmick team, but maybe still useful as damage dealers?

yeah i got nothin'

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You know, just because you ain't gotta explain poo poo doesn't mean you can't.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

...Necromancers are... weird. That's all I've got.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Too bad Giving It Everything only applies to STR-based damage, Giving It Everything + Gates of Hell a la EO3 Charge + Meteor could have been hilarious.

Negative Energy is terrible but maybe it wouldn't be too bad in a 5 Necromancer run... which I'm seriously considering, since Necromancers seem like a lot of fun to me.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I never did an SCC but I feel like 5 Necromancers or 5 Dragoons might be the most viable in this game since they have fairly versatile skill sets.
5 Cestus would be a lot of fun (with their different bind based attacks feeding off each other) all with the angry portrait naturally.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Necromancers can equip coffins, and can wear clothes.

I mean, he could. He just chooses not to. And with a body like that, can you really blame him?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

alcharagia posted:

lanzon has big, well-oiled muscles... but why do the male necromancers have such chiseled, adonisian bodies, which certainly have sent lesser beings than myself into a drooling fervor? they are babies who can't do anything without crying to the spirits of the ancestors.
Answer: Why not?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Hounds are a speed-heavy summon-focused class that can function either as damage dealers (by focusing on their hawk summons) or as supports and disablers (by focusing on their dog summons). As I'm sure you can infer, they're pretty versatile in what roles they can fill, and I'd be hard-pressed to find a party where they didn't work.

Okay, that's a lie, since Necromancers might not necessarily play nicely with them (especially Spirit-Summoning Necromancers), but other than that, what party that needs a slot filled wouldn't do well with a fast class that's capable of inflicting damage from range and can perform healer duties?

Stats

Therian Base

Falcon-Accompanied Hound: Hawk-focused damage dealer
(Full stat table)

Dog-Leading Hound: Dog-focused supporter and disabler
(Full stat table)

Basic gist of the stats: Falcon-Accompanied Hounds get more HP, STR, and AGI, while Dog-Leading Hounds get more TP, VIT, WIS, and LUC.

Hounds can equip bows, and can wear light armor and clothes.

There's just straight-up no reclass options for either Hound specialization.

Hawk Stats
(Full stat table)

Hawks aren't particularly durable, but holy gently caress are they strong and fast. Their LUC's pretty good, too.

Dog Stats
(Full stat table)

Dogs are a little tankier than hawks are, but considerably slower, quite a bit less strong, and have a bit less LUC.

Worth noting: if specific commands are not given to a hawk or dog, they have their own passive AI. The hawk will attack a random enemy (and attempt to bind its head), while the dog will heal whatever party member has the lowest absolute HP. Dog normal attacks only show up for target arrow, but they attempt to bind the legs of hit targets.

Basic Skills

Bow Mastery

Increases damage dealt with bows.

Animal Therapy

When a hawk or dog is summoned, restores all party members and summons' HP at the end of the turn. Does not activate if the user is panicked, petrified, or dead.

Free passive healing. It's never gonna really amount to much (35% healing power is already super low and Therians have the worst WIS of any of the races), but still, free passive healing.

Hawk/Dog Whistle

Summons a hawk/dog. The hawk/dog's stats (HP, STR, INT, VIT, WIS, AGI, LUC) are multiplied by a bonus provided by Hawk/Dog Whistle. Has standard priority when used in battle. Can also be used in the Labyrinth.

The whistles are basically the starting point for every important Hound skill. Firstly, pick one summon to use, and stick with it. Secondly, how much you level up the Whistles depends a lot on what summon you're focusing on. Dogs can, generally, get away with bumping up the TP cost once it's less than half of the Hound's total TP pool, due to the fact that they can rely at least a little on passive healing. Hawks, however, rely on actively using skills, which means consuming TP.

Hawk Arrow
Requirements: Hawk Whistle level 3

Requires a hawk to use. Deals ranged STR-based stab damage to one enemy, with splash damage. After the attack, the summoned hawk will attack the enemies hit with splash damage with a ranged STR-based cut attack. Has a 75% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels. The hawk follow-up attack has 99 base accuracy.

Fairly cheap, as far as hawk skills go, and the total splash damage hurts like hell. Not gonna do a lot in fights where there's only one target, obviously, but still.

Flash of Both Wings
Requirements: Hawk Whistle level 3

Requires a hawk to use. Deals ranged STR-based stab damage to one enemy. After the attack, the summoned hawk will attack the target's row with ranged STR-based cut damage. Has a 200% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

The more generically-useful of the early hawk skills--you've already seen me put it to heavy use for the Golem fight.

Aid Command
Requirements: Dog Whistle level 3

Requires a dog to use. Commands the summoned dog to heal one ally. Also cures the targeted ally's ailments. Has an 85% speed modifier at all levels.

A fairly basic healing skill, aside from the fact that it also cures ailments. Worth tossing points into, obviously.

Hunter Shot
Requirements: Dog Whistle level 3

Requires a dog to use. Deals ranged STR-based stab damage to one enemy. After the attack, the summoned dog will attempt to bind the target's arms and legs. Has a 75% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Hunter Shot's more useful early on, where most of the dangerous enemy skills use either the arms or the legs. It starts to fall off once you reach the later parts of the game, but not too hard.

Brushing

Restores the summoned dog and/or hawk's HP at the end of the turn.

The summon row seems to have lower attack priority than the player character rows, so your hawk and dog won't be getting hit too often early on. Once all-party attacks start showing up, though, it can't hurt to toss a few points into Brushing.

Target Arrow

Deals ranged STR-based stab damage to one enemy. Reduces the target's physical defense for a set amount of turns. The defense debuff also forces the summoned dog and/or hawk to attack the debuffed enemy. Has no speed modifier and +20 base accuracy at all levels.

I've made my views on defense debuffs pretty clear by this point. One semi-notable thing about Target Arrow is that it does actually force the dog to do passive attacks--remember that the dog just passively heals the party member with the lowest HP if it doesn't have any other commands on that turn.

Both Specializations Skill

Sky/Ground Patrol

When a hawk/dog is summoned, there is a chance they'll find food while walking around in the Labyrinth. What this entails specifically is unknown, as the skills themselves do not provide info.

...No thanks.

Falcon-Accompanied Hound Skills
Common Passives: Phys ATK Up, Speed Up

Finishing Arrow

When an enemy is below a certain HP threshold after the user damages them, the user will perform a normal attack on them.

Eh. Basically adds 100% damage to all of your Hawk's attacks once a boss is below the threshold. You decide if that's worth it or not--I'm ambivalent on it, personally.

Flying Talon Strike
Requirements: Hawk Arrow level 3

Requires a hawk to use. Commands the summoned hawk to attack one enemy. The hawk will then attack the target with a ranged STR-based cut attack. Attempts to bind the target's head. Has no speed modifier at all levels. The hawk's attack has 120 base accuracy at all levels.

Basically the hawk skill to spam. The TP cost is relatively low for how much damage it deals.

Ice Peck
Requirements: Flash of Both Wings level 3

Requires a hawk to use. Deals ranged STR-based stab damage to all enemies. After the attack, the summoned hawk will follow up with ranged STR-based ice damage to all enemies. Initial hit has a 70% speed modifier and -10 base accuracy at all levels. Hawk's hit has 95 base accuracy at all levels.

Too much TP for too little damage. There's better ways to deal with random encounters.

Sky Dive
Requirements: Flying Talon Strike level 5, Ice Peck level 5

Requires a hawk to use. Commands the hawk to attack one enemy three turns later with ranged STR-based cut damage at the start of the turn. Attempts to bind the target's head. The hawk cannot perform other actions for the three turns\\. The initial command has no speed modifier at all levels. The final hit has 130 base accuracy at all levels.

Sky Dive's not really something to just spam on its own, since it means your Hawk can't perform other actions for three turns. What it's good for, though, is if you have a party setup that can facilitate your Hound using Million Shot--we'll see that in a bit.

Power Shot
Requirements: Target Arrow level 5

Deals ranged STR-based stab damage to one enemy, with line-piercing effect. Has a 90% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Yawn.

Million Shot
Requirements: Power Shot level 5

At the start of the next turn, deals multiple instances of ranged STR-based stab damage to random enemies. Can hit the same target 4 times at most. The maximum number of hits is 16 at all levels. The user cannot select another action on the turn where Million Shot activates. If the user is incapacitated or their arms become bound, Million Shot will not activate. Has -50 base accuracy at all levels.

Well, if you want the Hound themself to contribute some damage, this is your best option. It's a weird mixture of Squall Volley from EO4 and Summer Rain from EO2U--it has the accuracy penalty and number of shots of Squall Volley, but the max hits per target limit of Summer Rain. So, yeah, you need leg binds to use it, and it's not "wow" levels of damage, but if you're using Sky Dive, you do need something for your Hound to do.

Scatter Feathers

Commands the summoned hawk to attempt to inflict blind on one row of enemies. Has a 120% speed modifier at all levels.

Okay, sure, why not. Blind's not as good as other ailments, but the base inflict chance on Scatter Featuers isn't too bad.

Dog-Leading Hound Skills
Common Passives: TP Up, Curb ATK Up

Healing Boost

Increases both the static amount of HP restored and the percentage of maximum HP restored by the dog's healing skills.

Not something to rush for, but definitely something to grab once you've got your actives at comfortable spots.

Menacing Howl

Requires a dog to use. Commands the summoned dog to attempt to inflict panic on all enemies. Has a 70% speed modifier at all levels.

Ehhhhh. Panic's useful, but that base chance is really low. I know it's standard for panic skills, but still. Maybe it'd work okay with the Bungling Smoke resistance debuff.

Defense Command
Requirements: Aid Command level 3

Requires a dog to use. Commands the summoned dog to take all damage for one party member for one turn. For levels 1-9, the dog takes extra damage from any attacks received. At the end of the turn, the dog will heal the party member it was tanking for.

A pretty decent alternative method of healing. It's obviously not something to spam, but it'll keep a party member from dying, and it's really unlikely that the dog will die from using Defense Command.

Foot Pierce
Requirements: Hunter Shot level 3

Requires a dog to use. Deals ranged STR-based stab damage to one row of enemies. Attempts to inflict leg bind on hit targets. If any enemy hit by Foot Pierce has their legs bound (this can include if their legs were already bound before being hit), the summoned dog will follow up with a melee STR-based bash attack. Has no speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

The best option for outputting damage with a dog-focused Hound. Leg binds are kinda useful, but it's very rare that they completely swing a fight like head and arm binds can.

Medical Lick
Requirements: Defense Command level 5, Foot Pierce level 5

Requires a dog to use. Commands the summoned dog to heal random allies a set number of times. Can only heal a party member twice at most. Has a 50% sped modifier at all levels.

The only method of party healing for a dog-focused Hound, and it's...not very good. Even at level 10, at least one party member will miss out on one of the heal instances, and since you're probably using a party-target healing skill to recover from a bad all-party attack... Yeah.

Drop Shot
Requirements: Target Arrow level 5

Deals ranged STR-based stab damage to one enemy. Damage is multiplied by 2.5x if hitting an enemy in the back row. Has no speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Um... Yeah, I got nothing. I didn't think much of Drop Shot in EO2U and I don't think much of it here. It's okay for random battles, I guess, and it's the only Dog-Leading Hound skill that doesn't interrupt the dog's normal healing AI.

Stun Shot
Requirements: Drop Shot level 5

Requires a dog to use. Deals ranged STR-based stab damage to one enemy. After use, the summoned dog will attempt to stun the target. Has a 200% speed modifier and no base accuracy modifier at all levels.

Stun isn't that useful and is hard to land, as a rule, but it deals okay semi-reliable damage, I guess?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 8: Swammerdami on the Rocks

Okay, everyone, thank you for coming to this quick meeting. On today's itinerary: "what is a chopstick," and "how can I market it?"
A chopstick sounds like a stick with a sword taped to it.
...You're Therian, right?
Were the ears not obvious enough?
I'm just checking, since I thought naginata were common weapons for your kind, and that sounds very much like a naginata.
Nagi...nata? Is that even a word?
Oh, yeah, those long spear things. Never used one of them!
You think your average Earthrun or Brownie could easily learn self-defense with one of those?
Firstly, I'm slightly offended you left us out. Secondly, no.

(Received 1 Aromatic Moss naturally, and 2 Aromatic Mosses from Alexis.)

6F, E4 Take Point
  • Cecidium: 26% chance. Sells for 60 en.
    • 1 needed to make Hamao (Restores 100 HP and 25 TP to one party member).
  • Aromatic Moss: 59% chance. Sells for 70 en.
    • 1 needed to make Bravant (Increases one party member's attack by 40% for 6 turns).
  • Rainbow Fruit: 15% chance. Sells for 175 en.
    • 1 needed to make Fire/Ice/Volt Jar (Deals 110% ranged INT-based fire/ice/volt damage to one enemy; 90% speed modifier, 99 base accuracy).
  • Ambush Chance: 10%

Raven got a level up just two steps from the Take point.

I don't want to level up any of Raven's actual skills right now, so I have him learn Organizational Skills. I can always use more inventory space!

Well then, hello there, big-and-purple-with-a-giant-stinger.
Stand aside, allow me to vaporize--
If that scorpion doesn't kill you for trying that, I will. Stand back.

Tunnel-Visioned Predators ("scorpions" from here on out) will stand in one spot, and rotate the direction they're facing every three turns. They can only see in a straight line directly in front of them, but once they spot you they will pursue your party until you leave the room.

(Obtained Holy Gift.)

Straight into the vendor trash pile.

I used these once or twice. I have no idea how much they actually do. That's my story.

Are... Are scorpions supposed to roar like that?
Perhaps I could get a wondrous accompaniment if I could only get my hands on its voice box.
Let's, uh, let's do that later, how about we RUN REALLY FAST RIGHT NOW.

This floor really loves its auto events, huh.

As you proceed through the narrow passage, you stop as you encounter a fierce headwind. You look ahead and see that the path becomes even narrower. This must be focusing the wind. It may be dangerous to try to push forward through the wind while exhausted from exploring. You can take cover behind a boulder to rest, or keep moving.
Weaklings. Watch, as this wondrous example of strength and endurance pushes for--
Watch, as this wondrous example of patience and goodwill grabs you by your cape instead of choking you by your neck.
Grk! You...cretin! Unhand me!
I've never seen someone so adverse to taking a short break...
I, uh... I guess we'll take a break while Cecil and Kaelin...do that.
Bracing your body against the wind, you reach a boulder to take cover behind, where you stop to take a well deserved rest.

Your stamina recovered, you unflinchingly fight past the fierce headwind and escape the passage.

For the record, that's the 3rd rest point on this floor.

"A breather

After taking shelter behind a rock, you took on the wind in perfect condition."

Here, the room is basically divided in two, with a one tile-wide passage separating our area from the scorpion's.

It's easy enough to infer that we should start moving once the scorpion's looking this way.

Wait, I thought moles didn't have eyes?
ACTUALLY, YOUR COMMON MOLE HAS EYES, THEY'RE JUST QUITE SMALL.
Did that really need to be shouted...?

Shredding Mole
HP: 418
STR: 45
INT: 32
VIT: 36
WIS: 28
AGI: 35
LUC: 28
Skills:
  • Furious Mole Claw: Uses the legs. Burrows under the ground for one turn. While the Shredding Mole is burrowed, it cannot be damaged. Next step uses the arms. Deals 80% melee STR-based cut damage to one row of party members. Has a 110% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Broken Bladeclaw. 100% chance. Sells for 78 en.
    • 1 needed to make One-Inch Blade (+47 ATK, +34 MATK, AGI Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 2 needed to make Pallasch (+40 ATK, +36 MATK, VIT Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 2 needed to make Mole Armor (+27 DEF, +18 MDEF).
Damage Resistances:
100% 100% 150%
100% 150% 100%
Disable Resistances:
150% 50% 100% 100% 150% 0% 100%
100% 50%
100% 50% 150%

Shredding Moles are annoying because they can effectively spend half of their turns invulnerable. At least they're weak to leg binds.

That's some very quick burrowing...

I NEED YOUR MOLARS FOR A MOLOSSAPHONE!

Savage brute. Allow me to show you how a perfect offense really works.

These things can get really annoying if you keep failing to bind their legs.

I promptly forgot that Alexis gained a level and forgot to spend the skill point. Oh well.

While walking through the precipitous rocks, you stop as you notice a golden light shining from atop the cliffs. You could try climbing the cliff to investigate the light, but naturally you'd risk falling down. It's up to you whether to climb or move on.

This event changes based on a bunch of potential racial skills. I sent up Alexis who...knows none of the skills that affect the event.

Alexis begins the laborious process of checking each handhold one by one, before carefully searching for a foothold that can support them.
Not so nimble after all, hmm?
Oh, be...quiet... Hah, hah...
While they succeed in climbing the cliff, they found it both physically and mentally exhausting.

When they get to the top, what appeared golden from below turns out to be wheat. As Alexis gathers the wheat to carry back down, they suddenly hear the cry of an animal. They look towards its source and see a small squirrel-like creature staring eagerly at the wheat. As they look into its large round eyes, Alexis must decide what to do.
Ignore the insignificant creature and bring down that wheat.
How about I spite you, perhaps?
Alexis strains to pull out the wheat before offering it to the small animal. While it hesitates at first, it eventually timidly accepts the offer. It then licks Alexis's hand as if to thank them, and returns to the brush carrying the wheat. Alexis descends the cliff to some small praise, and you return to exploring.
Aww...
...Ignorami, all of you.
You'd do well to quell your condescension before I dangle you from a cliff face using only wheat.

"Wheat and beast

You felt all warm and fuzzy inside after giving wheat to a small animal."

For the record, if you try to threaten the squirrel another one comes up from behind you and steals it.

Here are some things, because I went back to town to revive Cecil.

Pallasch (+40 ATK, +36 MATK, VIT Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 2 Broken Bladeclaws.

One-Inch Blade (+47 ATK, +34 MATK, AGI Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Broken Bladeclaw.

Mole Armor (+27 DEF, +18 MDEF) is made from 2 Broken Bladeclaws.

Fire / Ice / Volt Jar (Deals 110% ranged INT-based fire/ice/volt damage to one enemy; 90% speed modifier, 99 base accuracy) is made from 1 Rainbow Fruit.

I bought Cecil a One-Inch Blade. Since his previous weapon was fully forged...

How about we recycle it for 3 Bronze Ingot Scraps?

I also forged his new One-Inch Blade once.

A random encounter made me remember that Alexis had a skill point to spend. Sylphid counterattacks still deal 75% damage, but now have a 150% base chance to activate, and Alexis can now counterattack a maximum of 4 times per turn.

Incantation: Compression Form now increases damage by 1.71x.

This room's a bit of a pain in the rear end. It's really tall, and what you can't see is that there's another scorpion waaaaay down there, on the other side of that big rock.

Right there.

And then I got myself effectively boxed in trying to run from it.

loving oops.

L-looks like Team Rocket's blasting off again!

This was extremely terrifying and I was 100% certain I was going to get a game over.

Escaping in Etrian Odyssey!

I'm pretty sure they buffed the escape rate for this game, actually.

Eventually, I managed to stumble myself into having both of the FOEs looking in opposite directions. (Look at the map.)

Meaning I could avoid the top one without alerting the bottom one.

That's the last major puzzle of the floor done.

This event requires Sense Mana.

As you proceed along the bare, rocky path, you come across a dead end. As you turn to leave though, Kaelin suddenly stops.
Now what?
Silence. My superior senses detect something.
They tell you that they can feel some kind of mana in the area. However, when you search the area you can't find anything out of the ordinary. While you trust Kaelin, there doesn't seem to be anything you can do about this at the moment, so you return to exploring.

This event requires an event from a later floor before you can proceed.

One last random encounter gives Cecil a level up.

One-Two's initial hit now deals 109% damage, and its follow-up chance is now 40%.

With the stairs to the next floor in sight, you come across a lone explorer on the narrow canyon trail.

Oh, you guys again.
When they notice you, they wave their hand in greeting.

god I really should've rested sapph before generating that guild card, that class name is real stupid

They then introduce themselves as Sapph the Genji, from the guild TFKrew. Apparently, they're waiting for their companions.
I'm...pretty sure your friends are mostly getting very, very drunk at the bar.
As they say all this, they seem to carefully inspect your equipment. They let you know that the only thing standing between you and death are your weapons.
Well, sometimes Alexis or a shield stands between us and death.
Sapph then pulls out a Bronze Ingot, informs you that it can be used to forge your weapons, and offers it to you as a gift.

(Obtained Bronze Ingot!)

Hm. Thank you.
Their sudden generosity catches you off guard, but they tell you that it's just natural for explorers to help each other out. With that in mind, you gracefully accept the gift. They also tell you that they'll be praying for your success. You wish them the same and bid them farewell.
...Those guys weird me out.
What makes you say that?
That weird, giant machine they keep tinkering with. I'm pretty sure one of them also has... You said it was called a 3DS, right?
WHO? WHO HAS IT?!

Nope, not an Adventure Episode.

And that's the floor.

Let's go back to town.

I hear that somewhere in the 2nd Stratum there are these monsters called Haughty Hermits. They're supposed to hide behind other monsters when they're in trouble. Y'know, that sounds just like my older sister! Any time she gets caught pulling pranks, she says, "It was that wily rascal Genetta again! I didn't do nuttin'!" and beats feet!
...Your older sister?
SIGH. ...Waaaaaait a second. Could it be that my sister...is one of those very monsters?!
Uh, I-I kind of doubt it...
...Nah. There's no way, that's downright dumb! Her nose isn't nearly long enough.

I bought Alexis a Pallasch.

I also fully forged Cecil's One-Inch Blade.

So, you guys remember, right, Brownies are real good at identifying medicinal herbs? I made a bet with this guy the other day that Guild Nameless not only knew that our "Knowledge of Medicinal Plants" lets you draw out some heavy-duty medicinal knowledge in the heat of battle, but were in fact already practicing it like real pros! And from the look on Mio's face, my "Knowledge of Interpersonal Relations" tells me I'm completely right! You guys are the best.
Um... I just kind of toss everyone medicine when they need it...

The dialogue here changes very slightly based on whether or not you have a Brownie in your party (Mio, despite her portrait, is technically a Brownie). It doesn't actually check for if the person knows Knowledge of Medicinal Plants, though.

Have you seen the long-necked animals on the 7th Floor?
No.
Ah, yeah, those are called giraffes.
I just said-- Oh, what's the harm in obtaining prior knowledge? Go on.
They eat plants in high places, so they evolved longer necks. However, the ones in the Labyrinth are, naturally, a bit special. The ones here love to eat meat too, so we call them Greater Giraffes. In order to catch their prey, they're said to use their long legs to charge at unbelievable speeds. Be careful you don't get caught.

Bar patrons.

#1 is Hansuke again.

#2: Purple-haired lady Fencer:

Fencer: How do you do, Nameless? Are you familiar with those vicious giant giraffe monsters? I've only heard this secondhand, but apparently they can dash from one end of their territory to the other in a single breath, and will attack any explorer in their path. On the other hand, they've never been seen to attack anything not in their path. I'm sure with such long necks they can scarcely even see us below them. It's difficult to describe such a beast as anything but "overly large", but I do wonder what the view is like from up there.

#3: Frowning Brownie:

Brownie: Those drat Therians are terrible, always making a fool outta me. So I was running away from some fallin' rocks, right? And this Therian shows up and just picks me up in one arm and carries me to safety! And he has to nerve to tell me that it's lucky I'm so light! As he's carrying me under his arm like a frickin' teddy bear!
...Aww.
Please do not provoke the drunkard, you two.
Brownie: Bastards! Always lookin' down on me... If you sympathize at all, then lend me some of your height!

We've got quite a few new quests.

#1: Even more adventure preparations:

This request is from the shopkeeper Ceric. You've actually taken a request from him before, remember?
Mm-hm.
Well, good for you. The request is basically the same as last time: gather materials from the Labyrinth. You'll have to ask him in person for the particulars.

#2: Dialog with a monster:

Oh, so you took that one? What a relief, seriously. The client was being a real nuisance, always asking me to hurry it up. It's essentially an extermination request, but why don't ask the nuisance himself for the details?

Let's interrupt the quests just to talk to him now. The patron's name is "Loud drunk."

Drunkard: Dammit! That bastard! I was so close!
Ahem.
Drunkard: And who are you supposed to be?! I don't have time for this!
We've accepted your insignificant request.
Drunkard: What? You took the request? Oh, ooh! Great! Sorry about that. I need you to get rid this awful, awful wolf who's getting in the way of my-- I mean, who injured my manservant-- Or rather, my valuable subordinate. We let our guard down right after we captured it--
You what?
Drunkard: I mean, it came out of nowhere and attacked us! We were even trying to make sure it wasn't injured... drat beast'll never be tamed I guess. Grah, just thinking about it is getting my blood boiling! Whoops, I'm getting off-topic. Anyway, the loathsome beast should be on the 7th floor.

#3: Genetta's feelings:

So you're taking that one too? It makes me happy to see you so hardworking. That request comes from Genetta, the innkeeper. She's asking you to... Um, well... You see, the girl's gotten, uh, interested in one of her guests at the inn. Yes, that sort of interested.
What.
Well! Good for--
What?!
I didn't--
WHAT?!
Oh my. My oh my oh my. Do I detect a hint of...jealousy?
NO! This makes absolutely no sense! Her?!
Ah, finally, cracks in the facade.
...All joking aside, ask her yourself for the details.

This quest has my favorite ending of any quest in any EO game and I'm looking forward to sharing it.

#4: Operation Mole:

Oh, you took that one for me? Thanks. Apparently, there's a problem with moles going on a rampage on the 7th Floor. The Council couldn't just stand by, so they issued this request. Both humans and other animals have been harmed by them, and they're also filling the place with holes, so there's really no merit to leaving them alone. That said, your job is to go to the 7th Floor and pacify the moles. Frankly, it's swarming with moles up there right now, so it shouldn't be any trouble to find them. Good luck.

Note that this quest forces all 7F encounters to be various formations of Shredding Moles before you finish it.

Well, let's go see what the hell's up with Genetta.

It's my favorite customers! Welcome home! ...Oh, wait, did you come about the request?
What is this nonsense?!
What Mr. Crumbling Facade really means is, we're here for that quest, yep.
Al-RIGHT! Woo! Happy! Lucky! SUCH a relief to have people I know on the job.
NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE!
Oh, right, you need to know what to do. So uhmmmm actually I've been finding myself, you know, pondering on the subject of one of our guests. Like, I get to thinking, "Wowie, I sure wish he'd stay here forever," and stuff like that.
...!
Why are YOU actually interested in a guest?!
If I had to vocalize my feelings more it'd be like... "If I deign to speak / the emotion that I feel / shall be forever lost." ...Or something like that, you know. ANYWAY. I was thinking that if I gave him a gift, maybe, he'd like the inn so much that he'd never leave! And thaaaat's where you come in! Miss Genetta's Shining Request is gathering the ingredients for this gift!
Ingredients?
Animal Meat and Labyrinth Wheat will make him a gift that's really neat, so beat feet and help me make a sweet treat before his feet get fleet!

I'll need to bring along a Therian to a certain spot on 6F to get some Animal Meat, we're fresh out right now.

You see those giraffe-looking monsters on the 7th Floor? They eat plants, but if you don't stay on point they'll hit you with a charge. Those things could smash boulders, they're so tough. That said, once they're in their stance, you know where they're going. Would defeat the purpose of a "charge" if they changed direction. That said, avoiding them shouldn't be tough.

How is the exploration of the second stratum going? I hear Yggdrasil gets more dangerous the higher up you go, so don't push yourselves. If you're in danger, be sure to retreat. The council has high expectations for a guild rising as quickly as yours, so take care.

AAAAAAAAAAGH!
...What happened to Smugboy over there? He's oddly...not smug.
I honestly wish I could tell you.
He just kinda started freaking out when we took that quest about Genetta and a guest...
...Pfft... No, wait, don't tell me... Smugboy doesn't--pff--actually have a crush on Genetta, right?
I doubt it.
If all the anime I've watched is good for anything, that...doesn't seem like love. If he had a crush on Genetta, he'd just sit and mope quietly for a few hours.
I suppose you're right, but... Ahaha, I can't help it. Excuse me while I go tease him about it!

Next time: 7F.

Rea fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 11, 2016

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
After four games and two remakes Etrian Odyssey might have finally topped Furyhorns/Ragealopes on FOEs that are much more horrifying than they seem at first glance with these plant-and-also-meat?! eating giraffes. Looking forward to seeing them in the digital flesh.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

If I had to vocalize my feelings more it'd be like... "If I deign to speak / the emotion that I feel / shall be forever lost." ...Or something like that, you know.

Isn't 'forever' three syllables? Also I am really looking forward to these giraffes, they're either gonna be hilarious or horrifying. You can never tell with these games.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

For the record, if you try to threaten the squirrel another one comes up from behind you and steals it.

The Labyrinth Squirrels seriously downgraded if they're only stealing wheat now.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

BlackPersona posted:

The Labyrinth Squirrels seriously downgraded if they're only stealing wheat now.

Eh. I like to imagine Atlus gave them brain trauma and they THINK the Wheat is an Ariadne Thread.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

BlackPersona posted:

I assume these are European squirrels, while the ones back in say Lagaard are American squirrels, bigger and WAY meaner than their continental cousins.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
I absolutely love how you're writing Kaelin and Cecil's interactions.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Genetta continues to be more magical every time we interact with her. Kaelin's outrage simply makes it the sweeter.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
I'm a few days late to the squirrel topic, but if you think Atlus gave the squirrels a downgrade in EO5, just wait until the 8F secret area, which'll open up mid-4th Stratum.

Hint: it involves in-battle fuckery.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Update 9: The Labyrinth Before Time 7: The Great Neckbeast Migration

It doesn't make sense... She might as well be a single-celled organism, for how much interest she displays in other humanoids...
It's like... It's like oil and water... How can such an impossible situation be occurring...
This... I can't get past this... It's impossible...
Kaelin, dear.
This is a conundrum...the likes of which the finest minds in all the world couldn't solve...
Kaelin, dear.
What... What is this... WHAT IS THIS?!
KAELIN. DEAR. I can appreciate you're confused, but please, if you're this restless, just go gather everyone else up and go exploring. An old woman needs her rest.

Hwwaaaauuhm... Why are we out exploring at this hour? I'm slightly annoyed at this disruption of my sleep schedule...
Indeed. I treasure the luxury of being able to choose when and where I sleep.
C'moooon, I try to keep a pretty consistent schedule.
I'd be less annoyed with being dragged into the Labyrinth if it wasn't because of Smugboy having a fit about his crush.
I told you previously, I posess no such thing. If you inferior beings will stop--
You lose all right to call us inferior beings when you get kicked out of your inn room because you made it impossible for your old lady roommate to sleep.
...Hmph.

(Floor subtitle: A gathering of rushing beasts.)

This event pops up as soon as we enter the floor. It's part of Operation Mole.

Do you remember the mole extermination request you took at the bar? The 7th Floor is currently a shadow of its former self, filled with holes and possessing none of its former desolate beauty. The moles behind this must be nearby. In order to pacify them, you'll need to wander the floor and defeat them. If you're prepared, then take that first step!

For us, this effectively means I won't have any battles to show for a while.

So that's a giraffe, huh? Looks like something I'd jump off of so I could land on a sword hilt!
That neck would make a great drumstick, for the LARGEST DRUMS IN THE WORLD.
Ha! Haha! Now who's the one that needs restraining?!
I'd still say it's the guy who's losing it over his crush being interested in someone else~
You...!

Dashing Neckbeasts (hereafter giraffes) function much like Edgar said they do. They take a turn to wind up the charge, and then instantly dash in that direction until they hit a wall. After that, they change direction, and charge again.

At least the sky is beautiful at this time of night.

This first one's easy. Just wait until the giraffe has charged away from the top right corner.

This next one is a little harder, but not by much.

Starting to go for the way forward when the giraffe is in the bottom right corner works.

As you approach the rocky cliff-face, you sense the presence of beasts and stop. There are countless footprints scattered randomly throughout the area, as if a child was left alone with a stamp. If you have a hunter in your party, they'd probably be able to track the footprints and find a large nest of animals.

You happen to have Jana in the party, who knows how to hunt. They should be able to make sense of these innumerable footprints and track down the small animals who made them.
Heh, leave it to me.
Pardon me if I sound rude, but why would a circus performer have knowledge of hunting?
You'd be surprised how effective being a good hunter is for corralling some of our less cooperative performing animals!
The rest of your party hangs back, so as not to make an more unnecessary footprints, and watches Jana work.
So. I heard you've been cracking down on Smugboy's prattling.
Yes.
How come you're not doing it tonight?
He's clearly disturbed by Genetta's request. I can tolerate senseless babbling, but not explicit condescension.
Despite the apparent attempts to hide the trail via leaves or crossing a small stream, Jana tracks the animals as if they can read their minds. Finally, they reach a group of small rabbits.
Gotcha!

(Obtained 3 Animal Meats!)

Perfect, exactly what we needed for Genetta's feelings.

Having secured some precious food, you return to exploring the Labyrinth.

"Rabbit hunting

You discovered a herd of rabbits in the Labyrinth and successfully hunted them."

As you walk the rough, high-altitude trail, you come across a pile of a familiar fruit. They're Moon Apples, which you've seen countless times before in the Labyrinth. While it's definitely odd for apples to be piled up in a place like this, there doesn't appear to be any people in the immediate area. You can either take some apples now, or wait around a bit to see if their owner shows up.
They're lying out in the open. I don't see anything wrong with taking one.
But that pile's clearly unnatural. You do realize that this is stealing, correct?
Number one rule of the Labyrinth: finders-keepers!
You casually grab an apple from the pile. Based on its sheen, it must be freshly harvested.

(Obtained Moon Apple!)

...As soon as you grab the apple, you suddenly hear a voice from behind, asking who you are!
I knew it.

How are you constantly within proximity of us?
Surprised, you turn around, the apple still in hand. Before you stands a lone explorer. They inform you that they're the one who gathered that pile, and points a stern gaze at the apple in your hand. You can either apologize for trying to take them, or play dumb and try to talk your way out of it.
I'd rather not make an enemy of a group of armed explorers when we're right near a pit. Fine, we took an apple. We're sorry.
After introducing yourselves, you sincerely apologize and begin to return the apple when he stops you. They say they've heard of Nameless, and as fellow explorers they doesn't mind letting you have an apple or two.
Oh. Well, thank you very much.
You thank them and accept the apple as a gift.

(Obtained Moon Apple!)

Identifying themselves as Sapph from Guild TFKrew, they approach you and...stuff even more apples into your hands, with a smile.

(Obtained 5 Moon Apples!)

I call bullshit on this one.

quote:

[11:23:15 PM] Ragnar Homsar: question
[11:23:20 PM] Ragnar Homsar: if you were a character in an EO game
[11:23:24 PM] Ragnar Homsar: like, you yourself
[11:23:41 PM] Ragnar Homsar: how likely would you be to give seven apples that you've gathered to a party that tried to steal an apple from a pile when you weren't around
[11:24:25 PM] Gatoraiden Kotomeme: i would give it to them but the apples would either be rotted inside or i'd fully convince them one was poisoned, but not tell them which, letting them have to play russian roulette with the apples

...Remind me to check these apples once we're done here.
Why?
Call it irrational, but I just got the most ominous of chills.
You thank them again for all the apples. With a nod and a wave, they tell you to think nothing of it as you leave to return to exploring.

Yet again, not an Adventure Episode.

This looks more intimidating than it is. Remember that you've got two turns to move after a giraffe charges, since it has a one turn cooldown, and then has to take another turn to change direction.

(Obtained Beast Bell.)

Another thing for the vendor trash pile. Beast Bells increase the encounter rate for a short bit.

Ha, we're ready for--

I die...with the mystery of Genetta left unsolved...
You die...an obsessive weirdo...

Jana got a level from that annoyance.

Alexis had a skill point from somewhere. He puts a point into Labyrinth Searching Skills.

Mist Slice now deals 235% damage.

(Obtained 2 Labyrinth Wheats!)

I got some Labyrinth Wheats for Genetta's feelings. It is time to show the ending.

Wowie zowie! That's just what I wanted! You got everything already?!
Of course we did, you affront to all logic everywhere! What is your bizarre plan?!
We aim to please.
Truly, you are my greatest customers!
What bizarre concoction are you making with both wheat and meat?
What, you want to know what I'm making? Fufufu...kekekekeke... Wahahahahahahahaha!
I...don't like the sound of that.
Please hold on just a moment!

It's done! This is my special gift to pierce his heart! I'd better give it to him right away! Heck, I should call him right now!!
Ah, shall we give you some privacy? I understand how delicate these things can be.
The big slab of beef understands romance-related tact?
You would be surprised at what I read in my spare time. Come now, everyone.
...Friedrich! Ah, here he comes! O, Friedrich... This is a representation of my feelings. Please, accept it! And if you do...um, maybe you would...spend the rest of your life at the inn with me...?
KYAAAAAAA I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST SAID THAT!!
Ow, my ears...
Try having hyper-sensitive hearing...
...So, Friedrich, what's your answer?

(Telop: Friedrich.)

Come on, Friedrich, make her happy...

Friedrich: ...Meow.
...Meow?
Huh?
Oh, gods, don't tell me this is as stupid as I think it is...

He said yes! Oh, praise the gods, he said yes! WAHOOOOO! We're family now, Friedrich! Awwww I love you I love you I lo-
Pardon me, but... Where is Friedrich?
Call the bastard already, I couldn't care less about this drat cat.
...What? What do you mean, "Call Friedrich already?" I just did?? He's right here.
He's...
A cat?!
...What do you mean, "He's a cat?!" Um, a-duhhhh? Of course he's a cat, you got eyes, don'tcha?! What, you think this inn is speciesist and only lets people in? Miss Genetta boards cats all the time! ...Though I guess none of them ever pay for the lodging...but, ah, I do feed them!
...Have you maybe considered that you're just feeding stray cats?
...What do you mean, "You're just feeding stray cats, Genetta." ...I don't like that stinkeye you're giving me!
So, that present was for...?
...What do you mean, "So who was the present for?" Friedrich's eating it right now!

Friedrich: Meow.
Right, yes, it's my crunchy cat food. I grind the wheat to a paste, mix in the meat, and bake it. Every cat who's eaten it has opted to stay! At least 20 cats have had their hearts stolen by my shining, special, fantabulous crunchy concoction!
...Awww, hey there grumpy-gills, what's with the long faces? You feel like you just wasted your time, huh?
To put it politely... Yes.
I can't say I understand why, but here's a little something I always tell my customers when they're feeling down: "Rice duality / blessed, bountiful harvest / back-breaking package."
I have no idea what that means, and I doubt it'd really make things any better.
...Ahhhh. That makes so much more sense. All is right with the world.
I bet someone's relieved to see his crush is available again~
Even your japery cannot ruin my zen understanding. My epiphany is grand on a scale even beyond my own comprehension.
Well, at least he's back to normal.

The ending to Genetta's feelings is both simultaneously really stupid and perfectly in-character for Genetta. I love it.

So you completed Genetta's request. Good work. But still, I never thought the person she was interested in would be a cat.
No reasonable person would.
I very nearly fell over when I heard that. Maybe something really is wrong with her...?
I don't think it's fair to say something's wrong with her. She's...her own person.
A reasonable and nuanced view.
I wouldn't say "nuanced."
Either way though, at least no one got hurt this time. I'd better hand over your reward. Again, good work.

(Obtained 4 Nectars.)

That's a pretty good reward for how much work we had to do.

I don't want to bump One-Two up to level 5 yet, so I instead level up the basic bind punches. Arm Break deals 177% damage now.

Incantation: Compression Form now increases damage by 1.74x.

Smoke Rot now costs 8 TP and lasts for 5 turns.

A scrap with some moles gives Alexis a level up.

He invests the point in Organizational Skills. More backpack space for us.

Fighting enough mole battles results in this.

You've defeated a huge number of moles, and the atmosphere of the 7th floor has returned to normal. But just as you begin to relax, you detect a powerful bloodthirst directed at you! Unsure of where it's coming from, you put up your guard when suddenly the ground collapses beneath your feet and a huge mole jumps out! It must be their leader! It seems to be angry that you got in their way. It's too late to avoid a fight, so you grit your teeth and prepare to fight the raging mole!

This thing is just a Shredding Mole with higher stats and HP.

Yawn.

Having defeated the frenzied mole, you lower your weapons. This time, the request is complete. All that's left is to report it to the bar.

You stop as you come across someone. It's Lily, the Necromancer you've met several times in the first stratum.

Oh, hello!
Hi.
When she notices you, the Necromancer greets you with the same cheerful voice as always.
I just realized I never asked what your guild is called. Doy, right? My mistake! So what is it?

We can either just tell her our guild name, or tell her that we won't reveal it for free. I opt for the former.

Guild Nameless, at your service.
...That's just his standard introduction.
Nameless? I like it! Very...avant-garde!
She responds to your introduction excitedly before looking you over carefully.
Hmmmm. Yup, I think you guys are a lot tougher than you were last time we met. How about I give you a gift, to commemorate your progress?
Fine by me.
Is it truly okay for us to accept this gift, though?
Presents make you happy. You happy makes me happy. Everyone's happy; every bird dead with just one stone!

(Obtained Syrupy Resin.)
(Obtained Animal Meat.)

Syrupy Resin is a 2nd Stratum Chop material.

With a smile that reaches her eyes, she throws her pack over her shoulder.
I guess I should get going, or I'll get unpleasant looks from interested parties. It might be hard sometimes, but good luck with your exploration. I'll see you guys later!
Bye-bye.

The Necromancer waves her hand as she leaves. You return to your own exploring with renewed resolve.
...This has been bothering me for quite some time, but why do Necromancers have an aversion to clothing, or at the very least a common interest in exposing their chests?
You're Lunarian, right? Why would we know any more than you?
I actively try to avoid interacting with Necromancers if at all possible.

Euch. The way that thing in the back moves is...unnatural.

Pop Pudding
HP: 314
STR: 38
INT: 34
VIT: 44
WIS: 27
AGI: 20
LUC: 27
Skills:
  • Body Attack: Uses the legs. Deals 150% melee STR-based bash damage to one party member. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Pudding Core. 70% chance. Sells for 33 en.
    • 1 needed to make Beast Bell.
    • 2 Razorstones (2nd Stratum Mine 2) and 2 Pudding Cores needed to make Slice Armor (+30 DEF, +20 MDEF).
    • 2 Pudding Cores and 2 Strong and Thin Branches (2nd Stratum Chop 1) needed to make Pudding Glove (+10 DEF, +13 MDEF).
  • Conditional: Poisonous Pudding (Kill with poison damage). 100% chance. Sells for 98 en.
    • 1 Poisonous Pudding and 1 Dolomite (2nd Stratum Mine 2) needed to make Damper Shield (+19 DEF, +9 MDEF, +15% bash resistance).
Damage Resistances:
50% 50% 50%
150% 150% 150%
Disable Resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 50% 150%
100% 100%
150% 150% 150%

Pop Puddings are basically Pouncing Caracals but, uh, they resist physical damage I guess.

I always just kill them with poison: super convenient and free money from the conditional drop.

Ho-hum. You actually succeeded on the first try, for once. Bra-vo.
I didn't know you were interested in taste-testing the poison compound.

Here's roughly how much Poison Smoke ticks for right now.

Blech, there's monster pudding...pudding monster...some kind of pudding all over my sword now...

(Received 2 Triangular Kitten Ears and 1 Pudding Core.)

(Received 1 Syrupy Resin naturally, and 1 Syrupy Resin plus 1 Twisting Root from Cecil.)

7F, C5 Chop Point
  • Strong and Thin Branch. 66% chance. Sells for 60 en.
    • 1 needed to make Pilgrim's Staff (+32 ATK, +50 MATK, VIT Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 1 Neckbeast Fur (Dashing Neckbeast) and 1 Strong and Thin Branch needed to make Killing Shot (+45 ATK, +44 MATK, Risk Perception, Silver x3).
    • 2 Pudding Cores and 2 Strong and Thin Branches needed to make Pudding Glove (+10 DEF, +13 MDEF).
  • Syrupy Resin. 27% chance. Sells for 70 en.
    • 1 needed to make War Scythe (+41 ATK, +41 MATK, AGI Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 3 needed to make Resin Targe (+16 DEF, +7 MDEF).
  • Twisting Root. 7% chance. Sells for 350 en.
    • 1 needed to make Springy Sandal (+8 DEF, +18 MDEF, +5 AGI).
  • Ambush Chance: 3%

Welcome back, everyone. You must be tired after fighting all those moles. You okay?
We're tired, mostly for reasons unrelated to the moles...
Oh my, you could really use a nap at the inn then. I'd better get this over with quickly. Here's your reward, and thank you.

We get a Luck Necklace for our trouble, which increases one person's TP by 15 and their LUC by 12.

I put the Luck Necklace on Alexis.

See my previous note about leveling up Arm Break, but with Liver Blow this time.

Mist Slice now deals 250% damage.

Incantation: Compression Form now increases damage by 1.98x, but also costs 10 TP.

Smoke Rot reduces magic defense by 9% without a Smoke debuff, and 38% with.

Equipment!

War Scythe (+41 ATK, +41 MATK, AGI Up 1, Bronze x3) is made from 1 Syrupy Resin (2nd Stratum Chop 2).

Springy Sandal (+8 DEF, +18 MDEF, +5 AGI) is made from 1 Twisting Root (2nd Stratum Chop 3).

Resin Targe (+16 DEF, +7 MDEF) is made from 3 Syrupy Resins (2nd Stratum Chop 2).

Health Belt (+40 HP) is made from 3 Triangular Kitten Ears (Pouncing Caracal normal).

Beast Bell is made from 1 Pudding Core.

I fully forged Alexis' Pallasch.

Alexis also had a skill point. I put it into Athletic Training, to boost his AGI and LUC--the two stats used for dodging in previous EO games and probably EO5.

Gah! It's a squirrel!
And why is that a concern?
Those Guild TFKrew guys said they steal Ariadne Threads!
Hmph. Merely a myth.

Lightning Squirrel
HP: 302
STR: 28
INT: 41
VIT: 31
WIS: 32
AGI: 37
LUC: 31
Skills:
  • Lightning Strike: Uses the legs. Deals 120% ranged INT-based volt damage to one party member. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
Drops:
  • Normal: Rat's Tailspine. 65% chance. Sells for 31 en.
    • 1 needed to make Leather Vest (+22 DEF, +22 MDEF).
    • 2 needed to make Zhen Tian Fei Pao (+39 ATK, +40 MATK, INT Up 1, Bronze x3).
    • 3 needed to make Volt Charm (+39% volt resistance).
    • 1 Sharp Pincers (Tunnel-Visioned Predator) and 1 Rat's Tailspine needed to make Scorpio Rod (+41 ATK, +62 MATK, Volt Smash, Silver x3).
  • Conditional: Bent Volt-Horn (Kill with bash damage). 100% chance. Sells for 49 en.
    • 1 needed to make Plasma Fist (+54 ATK, +49 MATK, Lightning-Drawing Finger, Bronze x4).
Damage Resistances:
100% 100% 100%
150% 50% 50%
Disable Resistances:
100% 100% 100% 150% 50% 100% 100%
100% 100%
50% 100% 100%

Lightning Squirrels do pretty much the same thing Ice Bats did in the 1st Stratum: kill someone very quickly with INT-based damage.

They are, in technical terms, right bastards.

(Lightning Strike.)

I'd...almost prefer having a Thread stolen...

YOUR FUR WILL MAKE FOR EXCELLENT UNIFORMS!
Marching uniforms, not guild uniforms, right?
EITHER WORKS.

(Received 1 Triangular Kitten Ear, 1 Rat's Tailspine, and 1 Bent Volt-Horn.)

The giraffe puzzle gets a bit more intricate here: we have a 3x3 area that opens into a 5x3 area.

Although honestly this just makes it really easy to dodge the giraffes. I literally just walked in a straight line from the door to here.

Same. It's designed in such a way that they just miss you if you totally ignore them, as I noticed in future playthroughs.

This is the spot for Dialog with a monster.

You arrive at the location of the request to find a single large wolf motionlessly staring at you.
Oh, dear gods...
...No, that's not quite right. It can no longer move. It's covered in dirt and filth, and while it doesn't seem to be bleeding too much, it is covered in injuries from head to toe. You can tell at a glance that it's on death's door. You were sent to kill it, but you're certain that it will breathe its last with or without your intervention. As you stare at the dying wolf, something catches your attention. Its injuries appear to come from being fiercely whipped over and over again, enough to draw blood.
What kind of no-good, heartless bastard...
Its hind legs have also been bound together with rope. The whip was probably meant to weaken it without leaving a fatal wound, and its bound legs are also clearly unnatural. In other words, some human had tried to capture it and take it back to town. It must have hurt someone in its struggle to escape, and so you were sent. That's the only way you can make sense of this.
Charlatans. How could one be this bad at capturing a monster?
Now you just need to decide what to do about it.

We have two choices here: we can either heal the wolf, or leave it to die.

Choosing to heal it based on if you have either a Hound or an Herbalist in your party. We happen to have the latter right now.

...Leave it to die.
C-Cecil!
It's a monster. Those long years in the forest taught me you can't trust any monster, no matter how much you help it.
And I rebut with the fact that it's done no wrong to us. Stand aside.
The Herbalist in your party can't sit still with an injured being in front of them.
Perhaps healing a monster will work better than healing a person...
And how, exactly, did you come to that conclusion?
Dinogator works in mysterious ways. Now, hush.
The rest of the party swallows nervously as Magda timidly approaches the wolf. Whether it understands your intentions or has simply given up, the wolf makes no motion in response. Seeing no change even as Magda is sitting right in front of it, they begin their treatment.
If I was treating the wolf, it would already be back in fighting--
I SAID HUSH.

No intense vomiting, the wolf's blood hasn't turned purple yet... I believe this was a success!
...After a little while, Magda waves their hand at you, as if to indicate the treatment is done. Based on their cheerful expression, it seems to have gone well.

However, just as you start to relax, you sense a unrestrained bloodlust from behind you! Turning around, you see another giant wolf. Based on its smaller size, it might be the child of the injured wolf. And it just stumbled across a group of humans surrounding its injured parent. It's hardly a surprise that it's angry.
No, please, little wolf, we mean no harm...
I really don't wanna kill this thing after saving its parent...

Just when you're starting to think this is about to get bad, the injured wolf gets up and stands between you and its child.
...?
It gestures with its neck as if telling the child to come, and slowly walks away. The child looks confused for a moment, but when it sees the other wolf stagger, rushes to its parent's side to support it with its body. And just like that, the parent and child disappear into the red canyons. And with that your request is complete. All that's left is to report this to your client.
...A fluke. Nothing more.

Sometimes, an obstacle's so blunt, you can't help but admire it.
It is fairly refreshing to just be blocked by a giant rock, instead of a bloodthirsty FOE.

Now then, shall we continue?

Giant rocks are exactly what they look like. Shove them down, and they make two tiles in front of it, from where you pushed it, impassable.

Fun fact: that icon on the map is a recolored ice block icon from EO2U.

The stone pillars reset when you leave the Labyrinth, which is kinda weird but probably necessary for the puzzles.

(Obtained Soma.)

Always useful.

Shoving this rock that way unfortunately blocked off the chest there. I'll have to come back another time.

You pass through the door and find yourselves in a small room. Unlike the desolate Labyrinth you'd been in, the area is filled with large, beautiful flowers. Among the white flowers, some as tall as a person, you happen to notice a collapsed human figure. While they've been reduced to a skeleton over the years, you can tell that the flowers around them have been hacked away at. You may either approach the corpse, or stay back and investigate the flowers further.
Perhaps that corpse has something of interest. It's not like they need it anym--
Determining that there's no danger in this flower-filled room, Magda begins to casually approach the corpse when their hand touches a leaf. The next moment, they feel an intense pain that hand, as if their arm is on fire!

CURSE ME AND MY CARELESSNESS! OW OW OW!
What's wro--
Startled at Magda's sudden reaction to the pain, Cecil brushes their shoulder against another flower and lets out their own shriek of pain!

THE FOREST WAS NOTHING COMPARED TO THIS!
Apparently the flowers here produce a powerful poison that has an intense effect on the human body! However, you noticed this far too late. Your entire party has already aproached the corpse and been exposed to the plants. Places with exposed skin--head, face, shoulders, arms, legs, etc.--are starting to turn purple and are causing intense pain!

You've now no doubt that the corpse before you also succumbed to these plants... You've now got to come up with a way to escape death while enduring this pain.
I refuse to leave...with just this pain...
...Bearing the pain, you make your way to the corpse.

When you get closer, you notice that it's clutching a parchment. You grab the parchment and begin to make your way to the exit.

You've made it to the exit, but the pain still lingers.

Now that the pain has died down a bit, you take a look at the parchment. It appears to be a map, almost identical to your own. However, on the 6th floor there is a location marked with the words "I hope this will be useful on your journey." While you don't know who this person was, or what could be at that location, you dutifully make a note on your own map.

Incidentally, this event does massive damage to your party. The first time I did it, I happened to not have any healing items or anything, and was praying not to fight a battle before I opened up the nearby shortcut.

This is the event we needed to trigger to do that one.

"Flowers and corpse

You encountered a terrifying plant in the Labyrinth, but overcame the danger and obtained a treasure map from a corpse."

In the interest of not having massive updates that require splitting into multiple parts at once, I'm gonna call it an update here. Next time: the end of 7F, and the start of 8F.

Rea fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 16, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I don't know what's worse, Squirrels stealing threads to leave you to die in the Labyrinth, or them just being straight out for your blood now.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

:allears: Asking a bear for honey, then proposing to a cat... Yeah, no speciesists here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Dashing Neckbeasts is the best name for a F.O.E. ever. I don't care what anyone else says.

• Locked thread