Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dick Burglar posted:

Was it just the color you didn't really want, or the car itself?

Also I guess I'm a cheapass but wanting to trade in a car you just finished paying off sounds really loving stupid to me. "Y'know what I miss? CAR PAYMENTS :downs:"

Meh, the payments are painless, loan's through a credit union through work. I get $200 taken out of each paycheck and put into an account that's specifically for-car related things like maintenance, the payments are made automatically out of that account, and if there's a point at which there's more in the account than left on the loan, that's the end of the loan. I've been away all year for travel and not seeing the statements and when I got back and saw that I had $11k in the account and $3k remaining on the loan, that was an easy choice. Really no different than a new lease every x years except that I don't have to worry about mileage penalties and such.

It's less the color (although I really don't like the dull grey, cars should be pretty and not variants on beige) and more that when I was away on work travel I wound up in a rental Ecoboost Mustang and was blown away at how much better the suspension is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Are you gonna be away for a while again? If you are, save your money. If you are gonna be home to enjoy it... DO IT!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ilkhan posted:

Are you gonna be away for a while again? If you are, save your money. If you are gonna be home to enjoy it... DO IT!

Are you encouraging someone to put miles on their mustang?

Next thing you know you will be encouraging them to replace the factory windshield wipers! :monocle:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

RFC2324 posted:

Are you encouraging someone to put miles on their mustang?

Next thing you know you will be encouraging them to replace the factory windshield wipers! :monocle:
You're getting me confused with kalvick.

Mine is my DD, and I replaced the wipers yesterday morning. :)

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Thinking of trading in the 2013 5.0 I just paid off in the grey color I really didn't want, to order a 2017 GT with performance package in Grabber Blue. Yay? Nay? I'm thinking yay.

Was it this color, cuz I have to say it looks positively bad-rear end to me:

I have Kona Blue, which is so close to a shade of blue that I would love, except it has too much purple in it and looks drab in anything other than bright sunlight.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Number_6 posted:

That's the one. Just not a fan. I'm ordering this time, not just picking the thing off the lot that's closest to what I want.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Phanatic posted:

That's the one. Just not a fan. I'm ordering this time, not just picking the thing off the lot that's closest to what I want.
This is the way to do it, even if it does take a little bit for the car to be delivered. Its your money, and your car. Get what you want.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Number_6 posted:

I have Kona Blue, which is so close to a shade of blue that I would love, except it has too much purple in it and looks drab in anything other than bright sunlight.

Is that Magnetic? Because that's what I'm eyeing, but on the Ford page it looks darker than that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

This is the way to do it, even if it does take a little bit for the car to be delivered. Its your money, and your car. Get what you want.

Plus I have no urge to take possession of a RWD sports car with summer tires just as a Philly winter begins. I can wait until March.

ArthurDent
Sep 21, 2003

Today must be Thursday.

Phanatic posted:

Plus I have no urge to take possession of a RWD sports car with summer tires just as a Philly winter begins. I can wait until March.

You'll have to get winter tires/wheels eventually anyway...

Just reaffirming, definitely get the exact car you want and don't settle for less. You don't want any regrets on such a large purchase and you'll love what you end up with.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Eh, sometimes it works out. I never would have went with the DIB/20s if I had ordered my Mustang, but I wouldn't have it any other way now.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ArthurDent posted:

You'll have to get winter tires/wheels eventually anyway...

Oh, definitely. But I'd rather wait until winter's almost here to get a set of cheap rims and some snow tires for them then worry about it on a brand new ride. People here do this thing when it snows (or rather, when it 'wintery mixes' where visibility's lovely enough for them to be driving at 25 mph on the highway but not lovely enough for them to put their headlights on, so waiting until March is fine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LongSack posted:

Is that Magnetic? Because that's what I'm eyeing, but on the Ford page it looks darker than that.

My 16 GT is magnetic, which I think is a little darker than this, unless it's the light. Thing about magnetic is that it looks absolutely stunning when the car is spotless, but it shows dirt.

Luckily, I love cleaning my car because it gives me a reason to go cruising afterwards.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Rolo posted:

My 16 GT is magnetic, which I think is a little darker than this, unless it's the light. Thing about magnetic is that it looks absolutely stunning when the car is spotless, but it shows dirt.

Luckily, I love cleaning my car because it gives me a reason to go cruising afterwards.

Yeah, that looks darker than Ingot Silver and lighter than Magnetic. Magnetic is my top choice, with Shadow Black second and Lightning Blue a distant third.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Oh and another question: I'm planning on ordering my mustang. At what point is it too late to order a 2017 because they are retooling/producing the 2018s?

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
The 2013 pic I posted was "Sterling Gray."

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
One thing about lightning blue, you can't trust the color ford has on its site. Mine is a lot brighter. After driving it for a month I still catch myself staring at it from time to time. It's very pretty.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Number_6 posted:

The 2013 pic I posted was "Sterling Gray."

That's the colour I chose for my mustang and it is indeed awesome.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

LongSack posted:

Magnetic is my top choice

It is a very good choice. It looks absolutely amazing in the sun, especially with the black accents and PP wheels.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Guard > Magnetic > Lightning-Blue/Grabber-Blue > DIB/Kona-Blue > * . DIB and Kona have a little too much purple in them that Lightning and Grabber don't. Otherwise they'd all be on the same level.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

ilkhan posted:

DIB>Lightning-Blue/Grabber-Blue > Kona-Blue
FTFY

Edit: Because Grabber just doesn't suit the S550 and Lightning is the most generic Metallic Medium Blue I've ever seen...

Q_res fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 12, 2016

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I love Grabber but I also don't think it looks great on the s550. DIB is probably the nicest blue of this gen. I'm actually partial to a nice metallic purple/blurple on this gen. If I were to respray my car that's probably the color I'd want.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
The Sync 3 update that brings Android Auto leaked and it's everything I hoped it would be.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Does it count as keeping their promise if its a leaked file rather than an OTA?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

ilkhan posted:

Does it count as keeping their promise if its a leaked file rather than an OTA?

Nope. But they apparently did quietly update their website to say Carplay update is now in 2017. I had just assumed that it was because they were getting the upgraded USB hubs ready for purchase.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

H2SO4 posted:

Nope. But they apparently did quietly update their website to say Carplay update is now in 2017. I had just assumed that it was because they were getting the upgraded USB hubs ready for purchase.
lol. Those dumb fuckers. Then again, blame Apple. WTF do they need certified USB hubs for?

Ford is probably still trying to figure out how to frame the "you have to buy a gadget and bring your vehicle in for service to get a software update" notification.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

recent happenings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_s4ya2KxGM

and just bought this:

and now to slowly accumulate parts for the next couple months

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You are going to waste a lot of gas flooring the pedal just to hear the screw wind up.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
:suspense:

Wanna hear how it sounds after.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sir Lucius posted:

You are going to waste a lot of gas flooring the pedal just to hear the screw wind up.

"waste" implies it's not a valuable pursuit.

E: vv:respek:vv

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Sir Lucius posted:

...waste?

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Ok, so my money cleared and I've paid off all my debts (except for my mortgage). I plan to wait a couple months to let my credit rating come up after paying off all my credit card debt, and then will be ordering/building my mustang. I have three questions still:

1) there are numerous options for wheels, I assume they are merely cosmetic c/d?

2) rear differential ratio: I know what it is (each rotation of the rear wheels = x rotations of the drive shaft, but don't know what it means. I was picking the 3.55 limited slip rear differential on the theory that since it costs more, it must be better, but I realize that is a complete guess. Can someone help me with the choice of rear differential ratio?

3) tires. I live in Tennessee, and I'm far more likely to see rain rather than snow - but when we do get snow it is ugly: snow over ice or ice over snow. In the last 12 years I've had my truck, I've had to use 4WD only once, and honestly I could have stayed home. So I'm leaning towards summer tires, is that a good choice?

Thanks in advance.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

LongSack posted:

Ok, so my money cleared and I've paid off all my debts (except for my mortgage). I plan to wait a couple months to let my credit rating come up after paying off all my credit card debt, and then will be ordering/building my mustang. I have three questions still:

1) there are numerous options for wheels, I assume they are merely cosmetic c/d?

2) rear differential ratio: I know what it is (each rotation of the rear wheels = x rotations of the drive shaft, but don't know what it means. I was picking the 3.55 limited slip rear differential on the theory that since it costs more, it must be better, but I realize that is a complete guess. Can someone help me with the choice of rear differential ratio?

3) tires. I live in Tennessee, and I'm far more likely to see rain rather than snow - but when we do get snow it is ugly: snow over ice or ice over snow. In the last 12 years I've had my truck, I've had to use 4WD only once, and honestly I could have stayed home. So I'm leaning towards summer tires, is that a good choice?

Thanks in advance.

1- There's different size options on the wheels, but mostly you're choosing looks. Tired for larger wheels are more expensive though.
2 - The higher the ratio here, the quicker and easier you accelerate. The tradeoff is a lower top speed in each gear, although it's not much of a downside. Basically more pickup in exchange for slightly worse highway mileage. I think the options are something like 3.15, 3.55, and 3.73, with the 3.73 being the choice for track use when you're spending all the time at high RPM anyhow.
3 - The summer performance tires also lose a ton of grip even when it's just plain cold, regardless of the road being wet or dry. Once temps go below 40 you can really notice it, before the tires themselves warm up. That said, it's not like they just stop working entirely, but for a GT it's a significant factor.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

1- There's different size options on the wheels, but mostly you're choosing looks. Tired for larger wheels are more expensive though.
2 - The higher the ratio here, the quicker and easier you accelerate. The tradeoff is a lower top speed in each gear, although it's not much of a downside. Basically more pickup in exchange for slightly worse highway mileage. I think the options are something like 3.15, 3.55, and 3.73, with the 3.73 being the choice for track use when you're spending all the time at high RPM anyhow.
3 - The summer performance tires also lose a ton of grip even when it's just plain cold, regardless of the road being wet or dry. Once temps go below 40 you can really notice it, before the tires themselves warm up. That said, it's not like they just stop working entirely, but for a GT it's a significant factor.

Thanks. So pick the prettiest wheels and the 3.55 differential. And the tire choice is still not clear, though I am leaning summer.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Summer is fine if you only drive it in warm weather. Most of those eskimo-folk have a set of summers on their main wheels, and either just tires or a full second set of wheels with winter rubber, and swap them out as needed. It sounds expensive, but consider that you're splitting the miles between two sets of tires; they'll last twice as long in terms of actual time.

The real choice is between all-seasons (which are okay warm and kinda grippy cold but not great in either) or a summer set and winter set. I guess if you've got a pickup for snow duty you could just get summers only and garage it in winter.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Enourmo posted:

Summer is fine if you only drive it in warm weather. Most of those eskimo-folk have a set of summers on their main wheels, and either just tires or a full second set of wheels with winter rubber, and swap them out as needed. It sounds expensive, but consider that you're splitting the miles between two sets of tires; they'll last twice as long in terms of actual time.

The real choice is between all-seasons (which are okay warm and kinda grippy cold but not great in either) or a summer set and winter set. I guess if you've got a pickup for snow duty you could just get summers only and garage it in winter.

Nah, I'm either trading in the pickup or selling it to my goddaughter. I really don't want to keep 2 complete sets of tires :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LongSack posted:

Nah, I'm either trading in the pickup or selling it to my goddaughter. I really don't want to keep 2 complete sets of tires :(

Then I guess you'll wallow in the mediocrity of all-seasons year 'round! :buddy:

I mean, I have all-seasons on all of my vehicles, but none of them are sportscars.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Raluek posted:

Then I guess you'll wallow in the mediocrity of all-seasons year 'round! :buddy:

I mean, I have all-seasons on all of my vehicles, but none of them are sportscars.

Gah!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

LongSack posted:

Thanks in advance.
1: Many of the wheel options are tied to specific packages. Cali Special, EB performance pack, GT Track pack, etc. The upgrade wheels are almost all 19" or 20"s, which means more expensive tires; and wider, which means better traction.

2: 3.15 (auto base), 3.31 (manual base), 3.55 (standalone option for all, 3.73 (GT manual track pack). Its the number of times the driveshaft spins for each rotation of the rear wheels. Higher number means more mechanical advantage (feels more powerful) at the expensive of speed (you hit red line sooner in each gear, and at a lower speed) as well as lower mileage (mostly freeway related). 3.55 is the best all around gear, and I'd recommend it.

3: summer tires are fine, especially if you have a separate vehicle you can use in winter. Its cold that hurts traction and will turn your summer tires into roller skates, not snow. Keep that in mind. If you get cold weather and don't have an alternate vehicle/tires, don't even consider summer tires. Not worth it.

Also a reminder that 2018s should be getting a facelift, and should be hitting dealerships either in spring or fall 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Frodo posted:

And it is also said, 'Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.'