Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
That's crazy, I had no idea his books were all in a shared universe. Kind of brilliant from a marketing standpoint, I may just read some of his other stuff now.

Different worlds, empowered people shaping them according to their will...I'm gonna have to ask a Mormon how much of this is shaped by their view of the afterlife. At least from this lay person's perspective, it sounds like there are some common themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

shirts and skins posted:

That's crazy, I had no idea his books were all in a shared universe. Kind of brilliant from a marketing standpoint, I may just read some of his other stuff now.

Different worlds, empowered people shaping them according to their will...I'm gonna have to ask a Mormon how much of this is shaped by their view of the afterlife. At least from this lay person's perspective, it sounds like there are some common themes.

Please note that not all his works are set in the shared setting of the Cosmere. All the books (mostly his Young Adult literature) taking place on any version of Earth are their own thing.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Not all, his YA superhero series is it's own thing for example.

His stories are coming of pretty antireligious to me which is interesting, seems like he is pretty good about not letting his own biases come through in that regard. His mormonism mostly comes through in lack of swearing and sex and even there it seems like he is trying to challenge himself lately.

This is in contrast to wheel of time which I'm trying to get through now but the authors sexist biases are getting really cringeworthy, where I can't decide if the guy hated women or just never interacted with one past his teens.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I really liked Edgedancer and Lift is one of the most entertaining characters in any of his books. Looking forward to more Lift chapters, got this feeling she might be kind of important for the story too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Avalerion posted:

This is in contrast to wheel of time which I'm trying to get through now but the authors sexist biases are getting really cringeworthy, where I can't decide if the guy hated women or just never interacted with one past his teens.

Women in general are patterned after Jordan's wife Harriett, who was also his editor...

We discussed it in the WoT thread, if the series is sexist or not. It easily passes the Bechdel test, more than half of all characters are women, and the ratio holds true for important characters as well. And these women most often have their own motivations independent of men. But Jordan did himself no favor with the men-are-from-mars-women-from-venus shtick. From the macro level, I would say it's one of the most progressive fantasy series ever, while on the micro level too many women behave dumb/bitchy/controlling, etc.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Torrannor posted:

Women in general are patterned after Jordan's wife Harriett, who was also his editor...

We discussed it in the WoT thread, if the series is sexist or not. It easily passes the Bechdel test, more than half of all characters are women, and the ratio holds true for important characters as well. And these women most often have their own motivations independent of men. But Jordan did himself no favor with the men-are-from-mars-women-from-venus shtick. From the macro level, I would say it's one of the most progressive fantasy series ever, while on the micro level too many women behave dumb/bitchy/controlling, etc.

Don't forget the spanking, an important plot point in at least 3 of the books! :ccp:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

OAquinas posted:

Don't forget the spanking, an important plot point in at least 3 of the books! :ccp:

And as always, it's important to put Jordan in historical context. If WoT was written today? Yeah, incredibly sexist. But by the standards of 80-90s fantasy, it was downright progressive.

E: To be clear I'm not saying it was the most progressive thing ever for that time, but it was significant that it was that popular and also took fantasy a step in the right direction.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

And as always, it's important to put Jordan in historical context. If WoT was written today? Yeah, incredibly sexist. But by the standards of 80-90s fantasy, it was downright progressive.

E: To be clear I'm not saying it was the most progressive thing ever for that time, but it was significant that it was that popular and also took fantasy a step in the right direction.

The female characters could be decent.. as long as they were only interacting with other women, pretty much. Which admittedly was a very large portion of the time with all the Aes Sedai politics. Rand or Matt had an aura that made all the female characters suddenly become harridans the moment they got within talking distance.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Wolpertinger posted:

The female characters could be decent.. as long as they were only interacting with other women, pretty much. Which admittedly was a very large portion of the time with all the Aes Sedai politics. Rand or Matt had an aura that made all the female characters suddenly become harridans the moment they got within talking distance.

Taveren or whatever

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I just finished Hero of Ages. It was amazing overall, but I didn't understand one thing in the ending. Why did Ruin have a human body when he died? I guess it was someone attached to it like Vin was to Preservation, but who was it and why were they never mentioned before then? Or were they and I missed it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I just finished Hero of Ages. It was amazing overall, but I didn't understand one thing in the ending. Why did Ruin have a human body when he died? I guess it was someone attached to it like Vin was to Preservation, but who was it and why were they never mentioned before then? Or were they and I missed it?

Just the person who had the power and was twisted to serve it, nothing important beyond that. Dude was named 'Ati', hence 'Atium'.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
That was Ati. There was a similar thing earlier. Here's the epigraph from chapter 56:

I don’t know why Preservation decided to use his last bit of life appearing to Elend during his trek back to Fadrex.
By the time Elend saw the “mist spirit,” Preservation must have been barely coherent. I wonder what Elend would have done, had he known that he was in the presence of a dying god—that on that night, he had been the last witness of Preservation’s passing. If Elend had waited just a few more minutes on that ashen field, he would have seen a body—short of stature, black hair, prominent nose—fall from the mists and slump dead into the ash. As it was, the corpse was left alone to be buried in ash. The world was dying. Its gods had to die with it.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

eszett engma posted:

If Elend had waited just a few more minutes on that ashen field, he would have seen a body—short of stature, black hair, prominent nose—fall from the mists and slump dead into the ash.

Right! I remember this now. That also seemed strange when I read it. I guess it sort of makes sense now. Thanks.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Right! I remember this now. That also seemed strange when I read it. I guess it sort of makes sense now. Thanks.

Yeah, all of the gods in the cosmere used to be human - the 'real' God died eons ago and broke into sixteen pieces, and those pieces get picked up by humans who start with some degree of self control but over time become more and more like whichever aspect of God they picked up. Apparently Ati used to be a good person, but he took up the shard of Ruin, so... You can actually find some cryptic mentions of Ati in Stormlight Archive in the little letter blurbs at the beginning of each chapter - whoever's writing them is apparently an immortal that's been around long enough to have known him.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wolpertinger posted:

You can actually find some cryptic mentions of Ati in Stormlight Archive in the little letter blurbs at the beginning of each chapter - whoever's writing them is apparently an immortal that's been around long enough to have known him.

For further reading:

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Letters

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

DarkHorse posted:

I dunno, the Aes Sedai felt like a shriller but far less clever version of the Bene Gesserit. Toss in some polygamy, Perrin's weird emotionally abusive relationship, the already mentioned spanking obsession, and that bizarre bit where Matt is sexually assaulted by Tylin and it's played for laughs and I'm quite happy that Brandon Sanderson doesn't feel the need to share his weird fetishes with his fandom.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Subvisual Haze posted:

I dunno, the Aes Sedai felt like a shriller but far less clever version of the Bene Gesserit. Toss in some polygamy, Perrin's weird emotionally abusive relationship, the already mentioned spanking obsession, and that bizarre bit where Matt is sexually assaulted by Tylin and it's played for laughs and I'm quite happy that Brandon Sanderson doesn't feel the need to share his weird fetishes with his fandom.

Brandon's fetish is magic systems.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tunicate posted:

Brandon's fetish is magic systems.

The most Mormon kink.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Subvisual Haze posted:

But that's not the point. Compare WoT with the contemporary Sword of Truth novels for example, and it suddenly becomes a bastion of progressive feminism. And the ratio of (minor and major) female to male characters is something most current popular fantasy books fail to reach.

But I'm definitely glad that Sanderson doesn't put these dumb things you mentioned into his books, I'm in full agreement with you on this point.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Guess it comes down to whether having a lot of female characters is that great when they are mostly negative stereotypes? Happy to accept the answer that yea, back then it was. Guess it's like with that Huckleberry Finn thing where I thought it was kind of racist when I read it but back then it was apparently super progressive for daring to suggest that black people are people.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So is Lift a good or bad character, because her gender doesn't really seem to matter at all.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I found her much better in Edgedancer. Like she actually has goals and a purpose now even though she's trying to play it down.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Dec 16, 2016

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Guess it comes down to whether having a lot of female characters is that great when they are mostly negative stereotypes? Happy to accept the answer that yea, back then it was. Guess it's like with that Huckleberry Finn thing where I thought it was kind of racist when I read it but back then it was apparently super progressive for daring to suggest that black people are people.

I think the point is that though they have some stereotypical negative traits they aren't entirely stereotypes - he spends an enormous amount of time on these characters (:words:), interacting with each other, and they are usually competent and rational enough outside of interacting with the opposite gender. It's not like Rand and Matt and Perrin were bastions of logical thinking either, honestly. There was a huge amount of dumb and weird poo poo it's true but they were still whole, complete, powerful characters instead of accessories that existed to fall in love with/be saved by the male leads like most female characters at the time.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 16, 2016

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Maybe it gets better but ironically at the part I am at Min has pretty much just been relegated to Rand's clingy girlfiend / acessory. :downs:

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Dec 16, 2016

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Avalerion posted:

Maybe it gets better but ironically at the part I am at Min has pretty much just been relegated to Rand's clingy girlfiend / acessory. :downs:

To me it always kind of felt like Min was supposed to have a bigger role through the books, but he couldn't quite figure out how to give it to her.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

subx posted:

To me it always kind of felt like Min was supposed to have a bigger role through the books, but he couldn't quite figure out how to give it to her.

Yeah. Min never gets agency, really. Her most independent part is during the Tower coup; after that she's pretty firmly in "sidekick at best" territory--"here's my knifey pants-wearing girlfriend who sees things; she has a temper." Hell, she's nearly fridged at one point.

So yeah, one of the early stronger "independent" female characters turns into one of the weaker ones--probably due to just that reason.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
"I'd sooner cut off my arm than hurt you"

8 books later Rand has lost an arm and Semirhage is making him strangle Min.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

But that's not the point. Compare WoT with the contemporary Sword of Truth novels for example, and it suddenly becomes a bastion of progressive feminism.

I'm pretty sure that Conan is a bastion of progressive feminism compared to Sword of Truth.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Can we just kind of pause here for a moment and admire Semirhage? She wakes up from her thousands year nap and takes over in an empire where they routinely capture and enslave Forsaken-level channellers.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Marvel's Legion is being made into a TV series. I got confused and thought it was Sanderson's book for a second there.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Odette posted:

Marvel's Legion is being made into a TV series. I got confused and thought it was Sanderson's book for a second there.

I still think it would make a loving FANTASTIC TV show!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Min was the exception unfortunately yeah.

beathhail
Aug 21, 2015
Sanderson has said in the settings sections of his BYU lectures that he regards the fundamental change in the WoT world to be a reversal of male to female privilege due to the whole going mad and dieing thing for male chanelers.

Or maybe it's just that Jordan could never get a handle on likeable female characters.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

beathhail posted:

Sanderson has said in the settings sections of his BYU lectures that he regards the fundamental change in the WoT world to be a reversal of male to female privilege due to the whole going mad and dieing thing for male chanelers.

Or maybe it's just that Jordan could never get a handle on likeable female characters.

I thought Jordan had stated that somewhere too, probably in the RJ usenet group.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Can we just kind of pause here for a moment and admire Semirhage? She wakes up from her thousands year nap and takes over in an empire where they routinely capture and enslave Forsaken-level channellers.

Yeah she's pretty boss.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
State of the Sanderson 2016 http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2016/
Not really any new information as far as I can tell--Stormlight 4 projected for 2020.

mewse
May 2, 2006

smug n stuff posted:

State of the Sanderson 2016 http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2016/
Not really any new information as far as I can tell--Stormlight 4 projected for 2020.

Oathbringer is done \o/

e: to be released Nov 2017 :negative:

mewse fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 19, 2016

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

smug n stuff posted:

Hahaha, that update on Dragonsteel.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

shirts and skins posted:

Hahaha, that update on Dragonsteel.

"Status: A long way off. Though it might still beat that one book by that other author."

I literally laughed out loud in my office when I read that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pash posted:

"Status: A long way off. Though it might still beat that one book by that other author."

I literally laughed out loud in my office when I read that.

Rothfuss or GRRM? :rimshot:

Edit:

quote:

Things are looking good for Stormlight and Roshar, and not just because we are working on a film. I’m excited for you to read the next installment.

I didn't know this was a thing and I hope it turns out well.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 19, 2016