Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
24 min and counting. add an extra hour tho, its CIG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

I just want to see the stupid people buy the dodgy salesmans new formula miracle cure elixr.

And then I want to roll around the floor laughing very loudly at their constant ability to be swindled so easily. :)

I can get around $2500 for a kidney, what ships should I buy?

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
http://www.strawpoll.me/11889429/r

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kavak posted:

1. Chris is visibly intoxicated
2. Sandi is visibly stoned
3. Ben is visibly fat
4. Disco is visibly pissed
5. Development is visibly hosed

Going for the easy win. :)

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
If you go to the site you wouldnt even know theres a big livstream today. this is good for star citizen.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/361764/community-management/p2

also the salt is building

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

tooterfish posted:

How did CIG manage to get so many loving idiots in one place?

I would hand over piles of money for their mailing list. I've never seen such a collection of smug misinformed idiots outside of a Trump Victory Rally.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov posted:

I would hand over piles of money for their mailing list. I've never seen such a collection of smug misinformed idiots outside of a Trump Victory Rally.

Significant set intersection.

I need to sell hats.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Truga posted:

you guys have no idea, this game is going to be the Citizen Tane of gaming

Star Citizen: The Citizen Tane of "gaming"

tuo posted:

Rosebutt!!! *parp*
:lol:

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
My dogo is ready for the stream

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
That november monthly report that is weeks late is pretty funny. I have to give reports sometimes and when not a lot has happened to report about I have to fill time, this reads exactly like that.

quote:

Engineering

With the push for 2.6, the team made huge progress on the vehicle system and flight control, while laying the groundwork for further development of the item system. Improved first-person radar mechanics should allow for new gameplay, and the first version of our atmospheric volume system was rolled out. Work continued on systems that support and control interactions, and tools for designers to flesh out the gigantic universe of Star Citizen.
"We made some progress, laid some ground work which should allow new gameplay. Work continues on systems for fleshing things out"

This is the developer's equivalent of asking people in the audience where they are from at a show.

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

TheAgent posted:

because gently caress why not

quote this post with your five best predictions of tomorrows live stream, whoever is most accurate wins wither a copy of elite dangerous or planet coaster or a steam game of equivalent or a donation to some loving charity because its christmas you stupid game addicted nerds

1. Horrible, horrible concept art ship and lovely hangar ready ship. The hangar ready ship is targeted to some retarded niche role like space-fishing.
2. 2.6 is BEING RELEASED RIGHT NOW hype.
3. Please buy now the exclusive horrible, horrible concept art ship and the retarded fishing ship. There will be procedurally generated rare space fish with alien treasure maps inside. Buy now!
3. 2.6 does not have all the promised features in it. Most notably, Star Marine.
4. Ignore that because we are on our way to year 2017!! YEAH! 3.0 is just around corner like in two weeks! It is practically released!
5. See the video about 3.0. The most notable new feature will be BLINKING:
5. So much blinking. With an occasional cringeworthy facial twitch. More blinking. Amazing.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

LastCaress posted:

My dogo is ready for the stream

Don't... don't pee on him. :ohdear:

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
So yeah just got the news letter, and they're already setting the bar low....

The Crobbler posted:

In anticipation of today's Live Stream, I did want to address one thing that I have been seeing speculation on in the forums: whether or not today's Live Stream will feature the Squadron 42 Vertical Slice.

After we made the decision before CitizenCon that the Squadron 42 vertical slice wasn’t ready to be shown publically, we spent some time on reviewing how far off we were and what we wanted to achieve in order to be comfortable showing a full chapter of S42 gameplay. After all the effort we expended for CitizenCon, we didn’t want to spend additional developer time polishing intermediate solutions if it wasn’t going towards the final product. A slick demo isn’t that helpful if it pushes back the finished game, so we decided that the priority should be completing full systems over getting the vertical slice into a showable state.

So no SQ42 guys :(

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
They'll bring someone REALLLLY boring to talk for an hour, preferably a fat guy with specs and the most boring voice ever.Oh wait they did that last time.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Erenthal posted:

lol I thought the vertical slice "WAS the game" and not fancy slick demo

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Imagine how much running around and waiting for new builds to compile is going on right now.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Erenthal posted:

He...he...didn't hit his deadline?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Lame predictions you have there. Playing it safe eh?

My 5 predictions:

1. croberts will recite, then write a cringe-worthy missive asking for money, making excuses, making new promises for 2017
  2. 2.6 will be delayed; and if they are smart, pushed into 2017. the schedule will be updated to reflect this
  3. they will play 2.6 Star Marine on local LAN because doing it across the internet - the environment it was designed for - is shite
  4. no meaningful SQ42 reveal - of any kind
  5. no meaningful 3.0 reveal - of any kind

BOMBSHELL BONUS: They won't mention anything about i) no money to finish the game ii) on-going Federal investigations, iii) the fact that quite a few key team members have either recently left or have put in their notice (Dec being their exit month) to leave, iv) they are going to be down-sizing the studios in 2017

ps:

As of Dec 16th, with 2.6 still MIA and 3.0 still a pipe dream, these are the major releases this year since 2.0

v2.0 (patch notes), Dec 12, 2015
v2.1.0, Jan 15, 2016
v2.2.0, March 4, 2016
v2.3.0, March 26, 2016
v2.4.0, June 9, 2016
v2.5.0, Aug 25, 2016

And during this period, these are ALL the Star Marine updates. Yet, here we are, over a year later, and they still can't get it working.

AUGUST 22ND 2015
AUGUST 29TH 2015
SEPTEMBER 19TH 2015
OCTOBER 23RD 2015
Derek? You actually delivered for once? What am I supposed to feel at this moment?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

TheAgent posted:

because gently caress why not

quote this post with your five best predictions of tomorrows live stream, whoever is most accurate wins wither a copy of elite dangerous or planet coaster or a steam game of equivalent or a donation to some loving charity because its christmas you stupid game addicted nerds
1. It will be 5/15/20-min late delayed due to them downloading the freshest, illest, most stable 2.6 build
2. No SQ42 past a teaser logo
3. Crobbler will do something that will make him look like an even more imcompetent Gavin from Silicon Valley
4. Fake 3.0 demo
5. Sandi will get even more air time.

Tiebreaker: 2.6 was in the game all along

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Raskolnikov posted:

Derek? You actually delivered for once? What am I supposed to feel at this moment?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

It's grief. You feel Grief.

:negative:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Erenthal posted:

A slick demo isn’t that helpful if it pushes back the finished game, so we decided that the priority should be completing full systems over getting the vertical slice into a showable state.

Backers will read this as CIG being honorable and trustworthy enough to not want to just give them a slick demo and that means this is a heroic transparent effort in the most open game development ever.

When it really means the animation they've paid $80,000,000 for is so hosed up they literally couldn't make a slick demo out of it.

They've done nothing but slick demos for years now, the only reason they wouldn't pull a gamescom demo again is if the assets were so broken they literally couldn't.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Erenthal posted:

Lemme try'a translate that'n

Croebbels posted:

Hey chumps. We thought we needed a demo or at least a real trailer to get you to pay more cash, but it seems you're not anywhere near that picky. So yeah enjoy another full loving year of nothing while I work on my tan and paunch, also leaving a select few coke-fueled messages on Gary Oldman's voicemail. So like gently caress you and oh, send me more cash, like a lot more.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
No SQ42 in the Livestream "After all the effort we expended for CitizenCon, we didn’t want to spend additional developer time polishing intermediate solutions if it wasn’t going towards the final product."

quote:

Greetings Citizen. This past week has been a very busy one, with everyone across the company heads down with the push to get Star Citizen Alpha 2.6 released to you. The help of the Evocati has been invaluable, identifying bugs for us to smash and giving us critical game balance feedback. We had hoped to able to go to Live today but there are still some final UI elements that need to be finished and we still have a few serious bugs being tracked down and fixed.

We're circling a PTU candidate which will go to the Evocati later today, and, if this is successful, we will be pushing it out to a wider PTU test over the weekend so we aren’t too far off!

If you’re interested in the remaining tasks and how we tracked from last week please visit the project schedule page for a more detailed breakdown.

Today is our Holiday Livestream, where we will dive a bit deeper in what’s in 2.6, including showing the bigger Star Marine map in an epic faceoff between our US and EU studios!

There’s a huge amount of new functionality and content in 2.6. It represents a good portion of the last 4 months of the work that the entire company has been doing in our main development branch and moves us significantly closer towards 3.0.

Star Marine, the dedicated FPS game mode, is the big headline, but we also revamped the whole flight model in Star Citizen. This makes it more accessible for new players, but maintains nuance and complexity for veteran pilots. Eight new ships are flyable in 2.6, including the massive Caterpillar, which is a sight to behold! Arena Commander has been given some love too, with tweaks to the scoring, new pickups and VFX. There is a completely new front-end and UI that improves lobby flow for Arena Commander and Star Marine and introduces the ability to customize loadouts for your character and ships, as well as check out where you stand on the Community leaderboards. Finally, there are quite a few new missions in the mini PU, a ship graveyard to explore and a bar in Grim HEX to hang out in!

In anticipation of today's Live Stream, I did want to address one thing that I have been seeing speculation on in the forums: whether or not today's Live Stream will feature the Squadron 42 Vertical Slice.

After we made the decision before CitizenCon that the Squadron 42 vertical slice wasn’t ready to be shown publically, we spent some time on reviewing how far off we were and what we wanted to achieve in order to be comfortable showing a full chapter of S42 gameplay. After all the effort we expended for CitizenCon, we didn’t want to spend additional developer time polishing intermediate solutions if it wasn’t going towards the final product. A slick demo isn’t that helpful if it pushes back the finished game, so we decided that the priority should be completing full systems over getting the vertical slice into a showable state.

Item 2.0, Subsumption AI, Subsumption Mission System and asynchronous Object Container Streaming are all core systems that will power Squadron 42. In addition, there is some significant low level animation and lighting tech that we need to finish up to realize the goal of real time player interactions and conversations at a level that would previously only be possible with pre-rendered cinematics. We want moving around and talking to the crew to be as fluid and look as good as pre-rendered cut scenes from other games.

Finally, we wanted to be able to focus the team on getting 2.6 out the door and knew we didn’t have much time left in the year to do this (as hard as it is to believe CitizenCon was only 9 weeks ago, which isn’t very long in development terms). One of the lessons we learned from the last CitizenCon was that by attempting to show both the VS and Homestead, we overloaded our pipeline. Even with a team of our size, working on two big deliverables for the same release window becomes problematic because things can take longer or turn out more complicated than expected, and when there are tricky-to-solve bugs or performance issues, we need to assign our top developers, which usually ends up being longer than we like and takes them away from core tech development, pushing back the schedule on later releases. Last year’s release of 2.0 and the 3.0 preview at Gamescom worked so well, because there was a clear priority and everyone came together with a singular focus to deliver them on the ascribed dates.

Since CitizenCon we’ve been working towards 2.6 as our priority, with Squadron 42 core tech being second priority, followed by 3.0 development. Almost all Squadron 42 core tech is also needed for 3.0 and the aspects that aren’t, like Networking, have their own team who don’t get distracted by Squadron as it’s a single player game.

So while it may be disappointing not to see something this year on Squadron 42, I believe it’s the best choice for the long term good of both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen. It’s critical that we focus on finishing up the core systems we’ve designed to handle the needs of both games, as without them, other parts of the development team are blocked from finalizing key gameplay.
It is all of your support and patience that allows us to make difficult decisions like this and we greatly appreciate it as it is allowing us to create what we believe will be a very special set of games in Squadron 42 and Star Citizen.

One thing that I think helps to understand the challenges of working on such a big complex project in the open is the visibility into our internal schedules. Sharing the 2.6 schedule was an experiment that a lot of people internally were very worried about but now everyone agrees it was the right move as transparency helps build trust.

As such we will be applying the same visibility to 3.0 and ultimately Squadron 42, although it will take a little time to get them ready for public consumption. We are still in the process of finalizing sub tasks and getting updated bids on the tasks from the appropriate team members, and this in turn has been slowed down by their focus on getting 2.6 finished.

For now, please join us for the live stream to have some fun with the devs and let’s celebrate all the great stuff we have now in Star Citizen 2.6, as there’s a lot of it!

-- Chris Roberts

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
I love the stream chat is freaking out over no S42 and no 3.0 and one of the mods chimes in with "Several exciting new things in the pledge store :)"

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

lmao the newsletter just got sent

"In anticipation of today's Live Stream, I did want to address one thing that I have been seeing speculation on in the forums: whether or not today's Live Stream will feature the Squadron 42 Vertical Slice.

After we made the decision before CitizenCon that the Squadron 42 vertical slice wasn’t ready to be shown publically, we spent some time on reviewing how far off we were and what we wanted to achieve in order to be comfortable showing a full chapter of S42 gameplay. After all the effort we expended for CitizenCon, we didn’t want to spend additional developer time polishing intermediate solutions if it wasn’t going towards the final product. A slick demo isn’t that helpful if it pushes back the finished game, so we decided that the priority should be completing full systems over getting the vertical slice into a showable state."

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
1) No SQ42 to be shown
2) No 2.6 in PTU today
3) Buy some ships

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

dafuc is with the outline lol.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

LMAO the live stream starts off incredibly awkward right off the bat

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chris and Sandi staring into the camera for a minute.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

I need a little help here, brothers and sisters. All the time I have spent on Reddit in the Citizenry threads are making me wonder what it would be like to back RSI. I know I shouldn't, but I want that dream. Please, help me hang tough and save me before it is too late!

If you do, just get a base package. At least at that you won't be out a huge amount of money. And maybe you can take part in the eventual class action lawsuit and get a 0.65 refund in 2023.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

the desync lol

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thats like 3 seconds of desync. Wow.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The loving outlines are killing me.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
This desync is perfect.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
Hahahah this is already their best stream yet.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

lol sean tracy magically appearing behind them

LOL audio issues galore

best start ever

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

*bursts into the thread gasping for breath*

NEWSLETTER.. SQUAD... NO... DEMO...

*collapses in smug satisfaction that I was first to break the news*

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ahahaha, what the hell?! Fix your overlays.

And fix Sean's sound.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
so sound issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

OMFG THIS IS GOLD

WRONG MIC

edit: no tax i hate dogs and cats