Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheChaosPath posted:

I hear that flags fly for a pretty long time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Q7b-vHY3Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

TheChaosPath posted:

I hear that flags fly for a pretty long time

I doubt Chapman cares how long the flags fly for Chicago, but he did get a massive deal so he should be happy regardless

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

I doubt Chapman cares how long the flags fly for Chicago, but he did get a massive deal so he should be happy regardless

I mean if he doesn't want his ring I'm sure the Cubs can oblige.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Chapman also said that he didn't talk to Maddon about it because it's his job to play whenever they ask, through whatever else he thinks about it so maybe calm down a little.

quote:

“But he is the manager and he has a strategy. My job is to be ready to pitch. As far as how my arm feels now, I feel great. I'm healthy. My arm is strong.”

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 16, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

I mean if he doesn't want his ring I'm sure the Cubs can oblige.

This isn't some mutually exclusive thing, you can be happy you won a title but not happy about how your career was potentially shortened by being misused

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Intruder posted:

This isn't some mutually exclusive thing, you can be happy you won a title but not happy about how your career was potentially shortened by being misused

Nope, the Cubs won the World Series so all actions leading up to it are now unassailably correct

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yo momma's unassailably correct

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also why do you guys love a game that is completely inferior to the best baseball game of all time, Super Baseball Simulator 1000?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Chapman did everything Maddon asked him without complaining, or bringing it up in the media.

He was asked a question and gave an honest answer as to how he felt now that it's behind him.

Like I'm happy as poo poo about the Cubs winning the world title. But that doesn't mean if when looking back over that series you see some questionable decisions you can't bring them up and call them out.

Criticism doesn't mean you hate anything other than what you are specifically bringing up. It doesn't mean he's not happy to win the ring. He's just saying he felt like he was misused(which almost everyone even during the series was saying)

Maddon completely botched the pitching staff in Games 6 and 7. I'm happy as motherfucking poo poo it worked out at the end as it will forever be my happiest sports memory. But just because it worked out this time doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be brought up.

What some of yall are saying is only marginally different than the assholes who say "Go back to Africa" to black people who have criticisms of this country.

Like man. I get not liking the dude, but don't get dumb about it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

But you can't criticize Maddon, he's worth like +16.5 wins or whatever it was (tied with the Cardinals)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

But you can't criticize Maddon, he's worth like +16.5 wins or whatever it was (tied with the Cardinals)

Goons, being, Goons

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Intruder posted:

Also why do you guys love a game that is completely inferior to the best baseball game of all time, Super Baseball Simulator 1000?

You misspelled "Bad News Baseball"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Hey cubs posters, maybe realize that Chapman is a baseball player and not a cubs fan? Thanks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I hope someone livestreams themselves flushing their Cubs ring, and I hope it's someone I can like, like not-Chapman

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Fowler

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Rings bling forever

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Capt. Sticl posted:

You misspelled "Bad News Baseball"

Yeah this is my 1b with 2020

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

will_colorado posted:

https://twitter.com/bryanhoch/status/809796169803190272

You won the World Series with the Chicgo loving Cubs and have just made a guaranteed $86 million. You were used in the way the manager deemed best to win. Shut the hell up, Chapman

How dare this Chapman give a poo poo about his arm, the single thing that brings his family millions of dollars. Why should he care if there is increased chance of injury when pitching fatigued. Stop whining!

edit: I say this as someone that hates Chapman, but I mean commone, he had a manager misuse/overuse him, something that very likely could have injured him and changed his earnings over his career dramatically. He is allowed to voice that opinion.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 16, 2016

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
if your argument is that Chapman cares about his family then have I got a story for you

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah this is my 1b with 2020

Speaking of first base, there was a glitch in Bad News where you could run off first base (as fielder) and throw the ball towards the stands. The ball would deflect off and you could throw the runner out at second.

Other people used this to throw a "perfect" game right?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Intruder posted:

When you have a massive hard-on for robots, the choice is clear. Also, I didn't grow up experiencing Baseball Simulator, just RBI games and 2020.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Capt. Sticl posted:

Speaking of first base, there was a glitch in Bad News where you could run off first base (as fielder) and throw the ball towards the stands. The ball would deflect off and you could throw the runner out at second.

Other people used this to throw a "perfect" game right?

The only thing I remember that seemed unfair is playing as Toronto and always scoring with Doug by getting a bunt single, stealing second and third, then squeezing him home.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

patonthebach posted:

How dare this Chapman give a poo poo about his arm, the single thing that brings his family millions of dollars. Why should he care if there is increased chance of injury when pitching fatigued. Stop whining!

edit: I say this as someone that hates Chapman, but I mean commone, he had a manager misuse/overuse him, something that very likely could have injured him and changed his earnings over his career dramatically. He is allowed to voice that opinion.
On the other hand he just signed what is very likely to be the most lucrative contract of his career. Even if his usage this year destroyed his arm, it didn't cost him much earnings potential. He made it to his pay day.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/809836954317713408

Dozier owns but you gotta think De Leon plus a lesser prospect or two would be pretty tempting for the Twins

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

bawfuls posted:

On the other hand he just signed what is very likely to be the most lucrative contract of his career. Even if his usage this year destroyed his arm, it didn't cost him much earnings potential. He made it to his pay day.

Still if asked a question he is going to answer it with whatever is his truth.

Unless you want him to lie anyway.

If he had refused to pitch or complained during it then sure. But he did everything his manager asked him to do and didn't complain(publicly at least).

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Word I've seen is that Twins wanted JDL AND Bellinger to begin with, and the Dodgers said no to that. Something like JDL, an arm like Bueler or Stewart maybe, and a lesser lotto ticket arm might get it done in the end. Calhoun seems like exactly the kind of player that should be in this deal, since everything I've read suggests his bat is legit but he's a pretty terribly 2B and should end up in the AL sooner than later. But it sounds like the Twins want pitching pitching and more pitching.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
https://twitter.com/JArrieta34/status/809863014497341441

(Arrieta went to TCU, La Stella went to Coastal Carolina, they were in the finals of the College World Series and I guess this was the result of their wager)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dexo posted:

Maddon completely botched the pitching staff in Games 6 and 7. I'm happy as motherfucking poo poo it worked out at the end as it will forever be my happiest sports memory. But just because it worked out this time doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be brought up.

If the situation in game 6 had been reversed: Cubs up 3-2 in the series but the Indians winning 7-2 in the 7th at Wrigley with nine outs that still needed recording, do you think Francona would have hesitated for a heartbeat to put in Miller? I know the comparison isn't exactly 1:1 since Miller is a different beast and more suited to a long man role, but the point stands that in a situation where you back is against the wall in the WS and you're facing a team that is very good and very capable of making up a 5 run deficit, you don't gently caress around. You go to your absolute most dominant arm and lock the goddamn game down. The Cubs gave up a lot of talent for Chapman, and it was all in the name of having him in a Cubs uniform come the post season to win games.

Posters have made good points about Chapman's comments and I admit I was dumb and overreacted to an innocuous statement, but the continuing criticism of Maddon for having the audacity to heavily lean on his best reliever in gamesv he absolutely could not afford to lose is stupid.

Dexo posted:

If he had refused to pitch or complained during it then sure. But he did everything his manager asked him to do and didn't complain(publicly at least).

This is true and even after he was completely and utterly gassed he still went out and pitched the bottom of the 9th and got three outs throwing nothing but sliders. You can't say he didn't absolutely give the Cubs his all.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you're Chapman and you came that close to blowing the Cubs chance at a WS of course you say you weren't used optimally. I'm sure he still feels a fair amount of anxiety about almost becoming the new goat.

Either way it was a pretty innocuous statement and I really wouldn't read that much into it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Either way it was a pretty innocuous statement and I really wouldn't read that much into it.

Seriously, the entire actual quote is perfectly reasonable and that tweet (and all the headlines around it) are some Puig-level bullshit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

If the situation in game 6 had been reversed: Cubs up 3-2 in the series but the Indians winning 7-2 in the 7th at Wrigley with nine outs that still needed recording, do you think Francona would have hesitated for a heartbeat to put in Miller?

Yes

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm fine with whatever ends chapmans career sooner, bravo Madden

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If anything, Maddon didn't abuse Chapman nearly enough.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sydin posted:

If the situation in game 6 had been reversed: Cubs up 3-2 in the series but the Indians winning 7-2 in the 7th at Wrigley with nine outs that still needed recording, do you think Francona would have hesitated for a heartbeat to put in Miller? I know the comparison isn't exactly 1:1 since Miller is a different beast and more suited to a long man role, but the point stands that in a situation where you back is against the wall in the WS and you're facing a team that is very good and very capable of making up a 5 run deficit, you don't gently caress around. You go to your absolute most dominant arm and lock the goddamn game down. The Cubs gave up a lot of talent for Chapman, and it was all in the name of having him in a Cubs uniform come the post season to win games.

Posters have made good points about Chapman's comments and I admit I was dumb and overreacted to an innocuous statement, but the continuing criticism of Maddon for having the audacity to heavily lean on his best reliever in gamesv he absolutely could not afford to lose is stupid.

When you had him (someone that relies largly on velocity) pitch hella pitches in the game before yes.

You save him for last resort. If they get a couple on base or score a couple of runs. Then sure you bring him in. But don't blow him uselessly.

And even then in game Seven he took Hendricks out too soon, brought Lester in with someone on base, and then took Lester out too soon.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sydin posted:

Has there been any real look by fangraphs/etc into what style of pitching tends to perform best in Coors? Or at least something a bit more complex then "try to get ground balls?"

The Rockies themselves tried a changeup heavy staff based on the thought process bawfuls outlined. Baseball Between The Numbers has a chapter exploring how well that went. Granted that's like decade-old analytics at this point but it sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So wtf is going on with EE? I can't believe the best hitter on the market is having so much trouble finding a landing spot

No wonder players hate the QO

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
If he ends up getting less than 4/80 I'm gonna be real upset with his agent . Screwed EE and Toronto both if that happens .

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I love Eddie, but he's a 1B/DH who is on the wrong end of his career arc. As a fan I want him back, but I can't blame GM's for not picking up a contract that is almost guaranteed to suck in the back half.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

elentar posted:

happy holidays

I have no idea what that monstrosity is but I want to purchase this, damnit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

So wtf is going on with EE? I can't believe the best hitter on the market is having so much trouble finding a landing spot

No wonder players hate the QO

You know it's gotten bad when the latest rumors are that the A's think they can pick him up an a one year bargain deal to flip at the deadline. :stare:

Dexo posted:

When you had him (someone that relies largly on velocity) pitch hella pitches in the game before yes.

You save him for last resort. If they get a couple on base or score a couple of runs. Then sure you bring him in. But don't blow him uselessly.

And even then in game Seven he took Hendricks out too soon, brought Lester in with someone on base, and then took Lester out too soon.

I absolutely agree that Hendricks and then Lester were yanked too soon in G7. And while you could certainly drudge up posts of mine from the WS G6 GTD where I'm complaining quite forcefully about Chapman's usage, upon reflection I at least understand what Maddon was doing. It's all win or go home, and what do you do if you put in Wood or Grimm or somebody else, and they load the bases because the pen has been really inconsistent all post season? He wanted to secure the win so the Cubs could have a game 7.

• Locked thread