Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sell it to Michael Scott, who's loving retarded.

You can also buy a manual small Ford if you don't have a physical disability that prevents you from learning how to drive a manual transmission vehicle. This eliminates the issues with the horrible transmission.

Sorry, I should have specified. The Fiesta belongs to my boyfriend, who is sharing his car with me until I buy my own. We aren't looking to sell his yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Sea Pancake posted:

Sorry, I should have specified. The Fiesta belongs to my boyfriend, who is sharing his car with me until I buy my own. We aren't looking to sell his yet.

In all seriousness, you can buy quite a bit of Prius for $10k.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

We'll have to find a place to do any work because our apartment complex doesn't allow it to be done in their lots. I have no idea why.

Auto parts places generally don't mind small jobs in their lots, though I'd only do it in one with a lot of extra space.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Do you need to drive the truck in the snow?
If it snows, are you going to be able to change your plans to not include driving the truck?
How inconvenient would this be for you?
How often does it snow where you live and how much?
What's the $ value to you of the convenience of being able to drive the truck in the snow without issue?

The only time we would *need* to drive it in the snow is if we had to tow something, or pickup wood / lumber or any other reason we are buying a truck. We have 2 other cars that can get us to point a and b.

If it snows, and we need to tow, it would be an inconvenience / unable to complete the task if we couldn't drive the truck.

So far the value has been $180 because I had to pay a delivery fee to take my mower in to be worked on. And my time to sit at home and wait for them to arrive which is priceless.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nah i don't think you're really understanding the question

how often do you anticipate needing/wanting to tow when it snows? are you going to be able to put that off until it isn't snowing any more?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just put it t winter tires on it and a few sandbags in the back.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sea Pancake posted:

Honda: Fit, Accord, Civic
Toyota: Camry, Yaris, Corolla
Mazda: 3

Based on my budget and what I've seen available I think the car will probably be a 2011 - 2013 model year. Help me narrow down my list! Are any of those cars at those model years garbage? How do I decide between essentially the same car by different makers? And any other cars I should consider?

Any reason there's no Prius on here? You could get a nice one for your budget.

The 3 has a sportier suspension which may be what you don't like about the fiesta, but it's hard to tell what exactly you didn't like - if you wanted a car that was more boaty and numb like your old camry you may not like a 3.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Sea Pancake posted:

I'm sharing a '13 Fiesta right now and while I love the maneuverability of a little car and the storage of a hatchback, I don't love how the Fiesta drives, especially the way it shudders when you accelerate from a stop. Something to do with the PowerShift transmission.

The bad press about the PowerShift trans is rooted in a poor understanding of how it works. Back in the 2013 models, the software was a little rough and so the transition from neutral -> in gear wasn't as smooth as a slushbox auto. Has the Fiesta been to a dealer since then? There is almost certainly a transmission software upgrade that can be applied, perhaps for free. They've done a lot of work to make the shifts less abrupt and more comfortable.

When you're sitting at a stoplight, the trans is actually in neutral with a clutch engaged, and the small vibration you feel when you accelerate is the clutch disengaging, almost like finding the bite point in a traditional manual.

I know the Fiesta isn't yours, but maybe your bf would benefit from an upgrade.

Screw you kyoon! I'd like to buy you a beer and talk Fiesta.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 15, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Michael Scott posted:

The bad press about the PowerShift trans is rooted in a poor understanding of how it works. Back in the 2013 models, the software was a little rough and so the transition from neutral -> in gear wasn't as smooth as a slushbox auto. Has the Fiesta been to a dealer since then? There is almost certainly a transmission software upgrade that can be applied, perhaps for free. They've done a lot of work to make the shifts less abrupt and more comfortable.

When you're sitting at a stoplight, the trans is actually in neutral with a clutch engaged, and the small vibration you feel when you accelerate is the clutch disengaging, almost like finding the bite point in a traditional manual.

I know the Fiesta isn't yours, but maybe your bf would benefit from an upgrade.

Screw you kyoon! I'd like to buy you a beer and talk Fiesta.

You're a dumb motherfucker who couldn't comprehend how a manual transmission works or why anyone would ever want one.

Then you went out and bought a former rental despite everyone saying "eh it's probably not a good deal".

Get the gently caress out of this thread with your pointless, and often wrong, drivel that you labeled as "advice".

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

You're a dumb motherfucker who couldn't comprehend how a manual transmission works or why anyone would ever want one.

Then you went out and bought a former rental despite everyone saying "eh it's probably not a good deal".

Get the gently caress out of this thread with your pointless, and often wrong, drivel that you labeled as "advice".

I've rarely been wrong man, give me a break. I did buy a rental, but they're not that garbage and unreliable. The former rental dealerships are very successful because customers keep seeing value. You're just stubborn about hating em, I think.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You're just trying to validate your purchase at the expense of others.

How about my own anecdote? I owned a 2013 Ford Focus with that transmission and surprise! It was a huge pile of poo poo. Nothing has changed.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Uh oh :/ I've researched a lot and couldn't find reports of anything actually wrong, more just unfamiliarity with DCTs. What was wrong with your trans, were the shifts just crap?

VVVV: this is true, I won't deny it's a cost savings and MPG gaming mechanism at the expense of smooth performance. I just happen to like the feeling of well-executed manual trans shifts over slushy torque converter autos, without a clutch pedal, which modern DCTs can (but don't always) achieve.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 15, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Michael Scott posted:

Uh oh :/ I've researched a lot and couldn't find reports of anything actually wrong, more just unfamiliarity with DCTs. What was wrong with your trans, were the shifts just crap?

Mostly, people's problems with DCTs aren't that they're functioning incorrectly, it's that they're functioning correctly but their correct functioning is poo poo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
To the folks playing at home, this is what Mr Pink's research involves: clicking on any links that backs up any preconceived notions or bias and denying any counter arguments.

Let's take an example from a month back when he was 100% steadfast in his disbelief that it's possible to get a used car loan with a ridiculously low interest rate because he's a loving dumbass who doesn't know how to research or cross-reference resources and he assumed that 5.5% over 5 years was the only option on the table because he went to a retail bank's website and didn't investigate any further.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I quickly admitted I was dumb there, and wasn't steadfast at all once my error was pointed out. You want to hate and are reaching so hard! How about a little love in your life, a little party, you might even say a Fiesta.

Some content: The Mitsubishi Mirage was the cheapest car at the dealership I was at. Even lower than the Nissan Versa which I believe takes the prize for the lowest possible MSRP in the U.S.

Here's a cool video I saw a bit ago showing the difference in safety standards between a cheap car here in the states, and one in Mexico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85OysZ_4lp0

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 15, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

VVVV: this is true, I won't deny it's a cost savings and MPG gaming mechanism at the expense of smooth performance. I just happen to like the feeling of well-executed manual trans shifts over slushy torque converter autos, without a clutch pedal, which modern DCTs can (but don't always) achieve.

I'm sure you're trolling at this point but

Terrible shifts
Massive lag when attempting to accelerate which led to some near misses
Constant recalls and shop visits
Several times the car downshifted so hard it felt like you got rear ended

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nah i don't think you're really understanding the question

how often do you anticipate needing/wanting to tow when it snows? are you going to be able to put that off until it isn't snowing any more?

I can't imagine of needing/wanting to tow when it snows, and I live in southern ohio, not northern so we don't really get dumped on..

What do you guys think of like a used 06 Chevy Colorado with 118K miles

http://www.crossroadscarandtruck.com/2006-Chevrolet-Colorado/Used-Truck/Milford-OH/8418842/Details.aspx

Or potentially if I really need awd

http://www.internationalautooutlet.com/vehicle-details/2007-ford-ranger-sport--awd-truck-580351766bfa844f89fef3610a7bf28c/

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'm sure you're trolling at this point but

Terrible shifts
Massive lag when attempting to accelerate which led to some near misses
Constant recalls and shop visits
Several times the car downshifted so hard it felt like you got rear ended

Not trolling, all I can say is I've experienced none of those with my '15. I guess they made some physical changes to the trans. Am I right that acceleration lag will naturally tend to be worse in an auto trans without a torque converter? I'm not excusing that lag, it's definitely lovely, only trying to learn more about how these things work. :)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fyallm posted:

I can't imagine of needing/wanting to tow when it snows, and I live in southern ohio, not northern so we don't really get dumped on..

http://www.crossroadscarandtruck.com/2006-Chevrolet-Colorado/Used-Truck/Milford-OH/8418842/Details.aspx

http://www.internationalautooutlet.com/vehicle-details/2007-ford-ranger-sport--awd-truck-580351766bfa844f89fef3610a7bf28c/

You can tow 2-3k pounds with any vehicle, including a Honda Civic.

Snow and ice are mitigated by good tires and electronic traction control. AWD only helps when some of your tires can't get traction AT ALL, and you need to compensate. LIke, if you're on slippery surface, such as wet gravel, trying to move uphill from a dead stop. If something like that applies to you, then yes, look into it. Then decide if the increased wear/tear and higher gas consumption in really worth it.

Why are you searching lovely dealership websites? All of your examples are listed for twice their auction value. They will also try to saddle you with MichaelScott-equivalent interest rates.

Sounds like a used V6 Grand Cherokee will fulfill all your functions and cater to insecurities. When shopping for one, avoid ones that were used to tow boats, like this one
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ctd/5891406240.html

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Nitrox posted:

You can tow 2-3k pounds with any vehicle, including a Honda Civic.

Snow and ice are mitigated by good tires and electronic traction control. AWD only helps when some of your tires can't get traction AT ALL, and you need to compensate. LIke, if you're on slippery surface, such as wet gravel, trying to move uphill from a dead stop. If something like that applies to you, then yes, look into it. Then decide if the increased wear/tear and higher gas consumption in really worth it.

Why are you searching lovely dealership websites? All of your examples are listed for twice their auction value. They will also try to saddle you with MichaelScott-equivalent interest rates.

Sounds like a used V6 Grand Cherokee will fulfill all your functions and cater to insecurities. When shopping for one, avoid ones that were used to tow boats, like this one
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ctd/5891406240.html

I bought a car from one of those 2 lovely dealerships and got an interest rate of 1% from a credit union *shrugs*

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013

IRQ posted:

Any reason there's no Prius on here? You could get a nice one for your budget.

The 3 has a sportier suspension which may be what you don't like about the fiesta, but it's hard to tell what exactly you didn't like - if you wanted a car that was more boaty and numb like your old camry you may not like a 3.

I'm not opposed to a Prius necessarily. I didn't include them here because even though I have found them for sale at some dealerships near me, they are more expensive for the same model year, so I could get a 2013 fit or a 2009 Prius for the same price. I've also never had a hybrid car, so I'm just unfamiliar with the pros and cons of especially a used Prius compared to what I'm already looking at. If I need to get an older model year of the Prius to stay in budget, is it worth it? I'm also not sure what my loan requirements will be in terms of model year- I may need to stay above a 2011.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know your situation specifically but in my experience you don't run into worse loan rates until it's 10 years old or more, at least for credit unions.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Prius is bar none the most reliable driving appliance money can buy and buying one a few years older could very well be worth it if mileage and reliability are your major concerns. Also you don't need to buy from a lot if you're securing financing yourself (but do get a PPI), and you'll do better on pricing that way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fyallm posted:

Definitely buy a 2WD truck then, they're way cheaper.

I would buy a true half-ton rather than a Colorado, myself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Not trolling, all I can say is I've experienced none of those with my '15. I guess they made some physical changes to the trans. Am I right that acceleration lag will naturally tend to be worse in an auto trans without a torque converter? I'm not excusing that lag, it's definitely lovely, only trying to learn more about how these things work. :)

yo get out of the advice thread and go to actual AI if you really want to learn about transmissions

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013

IRQ posted:

The Prius is bar none the most reliable driving appliance money can buy and buying one a few years older could very well be worth it if mileage and reliability are your major concerns. Also you don't need to buy from a lot if you're securing financing yourself (but do get a PPI), and you'll do better on pricing that way.

Thanks! There is a 2013 Prius C near me that looks potentially good. I did notice that it has a CVT instead of a regular automatic transmission. I've never had one of those before but a quick google search shows a lot of people complaining that CVTs are unreliable, slow, whiny, etc etc etc. Are they actually that bad?

Edit: Also, I've heard that if the battery dies on a Prius and you need to replace it you're out $5k. I definitely don't have $5k I wouldn't miss to throw at a new battery for a car. This car would only be 3 years old so I doubt the battery would have been replaced yet.

Sea Pancake fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 17, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1. A Prius CVT is unlike any other CVT, they are extremely simple and reliable transmissions.

2. A Prius C is a worse Prius that isn't even actually cheaper to buy. Get a regular Prius.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Sea Pancake posted:

Edit: Also, I've heard that if the battery dies on a Prius and you need to replace it you're out $5k. I definitely don't have $5k I wouldn't miss to throw at a new battery for a car. This car would only be 3 years old so I doubt the battery would have been replaced yet.

Batteries don't fail all at once, if they fail at all, and it isn't 5g's anymore either. Car works reasonably well with half or less of it's original battery capacity, but generally if you get anything done, you get one or three failing cells replaced, not the whole thing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Prius CVT is a totally different animal from what people complain about being bad. There are plenty of bad CVTs out there for cost/mpg on paper reasons that suck, the Prius from end to end is engineered extremely well because it was the first* hybrid to market and it had to be bulletproof or it would tank. It is bulletproof and that includes the transmission.

Don't get a Prius C, it's a worse hybrid system on a Yaris and the Yaris is trash. Get a regular Prius or a Prius V if you want a fat Prius.

Another poster addressed the battery thing. The battery isn't a big problem these days even if some cells do begin failing. The car will actually run with a nearly shot battery, but your chances of getting to that point are vanishingly small.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

IRQ posted:

Eh, I think the point could be argued that a Honda Fit is at least as reliable as a Prius. But you make a valid point.

And the Prius transmission shouldn't be called a CVT , its stunningly simple and robust design has nothing really in common with what's normally considered a 'CVT'.

Conventional CVT's are really a pretty piss-poor design that looks great in theory but are constantly chewing at themselves and only work well on small cars with little torque. Which is going to bite a ton of people in the rear end in about four or five years as current models age.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Prius is ragingly reliable and requires fewer consumables and maintenance items than the fit. Plus the L engine has coil pack issues and the second gen fit has water ingress issues, so it's not actually as reliable.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Phone posted:

Lexus ES 300H stuff

Report back after you test drive it because I'd like to hear some feedback on it and if it was something that you were looking for.

Just got back from checking this out. Its dope. I mean, it's slow, like the reviews said, but I am ok with that. By my standards at least it is extremely comfortable. Lots of nice features, smooth drive, overall I really like it.

All that said, not sure if we will get it. its at the top of our budget, and while it is a good value, we may decide to just spend less absolute $ and get something different. unsure yet.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thank you AI car buying thread. Very happy in my 2010 Subaru Outback 3.6R.

This is the second time I've owned a car from the same decade in which I bought it. I forgot how good that feels. It's officially everyone's favorite car in my household and circle of friends.

It's been handling monstrous amounts of cargo from Home Depot, including a 60" under sink cabinet. It's perfect for my needs in literally every way.

Anything I should be on the watch for with 105k on the odometer?

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 20, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Bet the atf is overdue.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fyallm posted:

I bought a car from one of those 2 lovely dealerships and got an interest rate of 1% from a credit union *shrugs*

Did you pay their listed price?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nitrox posted:

Did you pay their listed price?

Or just more than he could have if he didn't get the "1%" rate.

That's why it's a little hairy to deal with financing through a dealer unless you can enforce a "firewall" between financing negotiations and vehicle pricing negotiations.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

JnnyThndrs posted:

And the Prius transmission shouldn't be called a CVT , its stunningly simple and robust design has nothing really in common with what's normally considered a 'CVT'.
Very much this. When we got our Prius V I spent better part of a week trying to figure out how the transmission works and where the hell the belts/hydraulics/pulleys live.

As it turns out it's powered by pure genius instead. Continuously meshed gears from the engine to the wheels, no belts, chains, clutches, hydraulics, nothing. Not even a serpentine belt. No alternator or starter motor either. And steering/aircon/cooling are all electric. Mechanically it's by far the most elegantly simple car I've ever owned. Love it!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, it's a helluva design, isn't it? I'm a drivetrain guy, spent my entire adult life building diffs mostly, and transfer cases/manual trannys just to keep things interesting, and I was floored when I saw the diagrams of the Pruis drivetrain.

Everybody always asks me how they work and they only visceral way I can do it is to show them a open differential on a stand, then imagine an electric motor/generator driving one axle shaft and a gasoline powerplant driving the other side, with the pinion shaft being the output to the wheels. It's an oversimplification, but it shows how both motors are needed for full speed yet either one of them can drive the vehicle and how the regen system charges the batteries at coast/idle.

I'd own one in a heartbeat if an addiction to Mazda rotaries in my misspent youth hadn't given me a love for manual transmissions hooked to high-revving engines.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

emocrat posted:

Just got back from checking this out. Its dope. I mean, it's slow, like the reviews said, but I am ok with that. By my standards at least it is extremely comfortable. Lots of nice features, smooth drive, overall I really like it.

All that said, not sure if we will get it. its at the top of our budget, and while it is a good value, we may decide to just spend less absolute $ and get something different. unsure yet.

Awesome, thanks for checking back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, it's a helluva design, isn't it? I'm a drivetrain guy, spent my entire adult life building diffs mostly, and transfer cases/manual trannys just to keep things interesting, and I was floored when I saw the diagrams of the Pruis drivetrain.

Everybody always asks me how they work and they only visceral way I can do it is to show them a open differential on a stand, then imagine an electric motor/generator driving one axle shaft and a gasoline powerplant driving the other side, with the pinion shaft being the output to the wheels. It's an oversimplification, but it shows how both motors are needed for full speed yet either one of them can drive the vehicle and how the regen system charges the batteries at coast/idle.

I'd own one in a heartbeat if an addiction to Mazda rotaries in my misspent youth hadn't given me a love for manual transmissions hooked to high-revving engines.

Protip own both. Then when your apex seals blow out you can drive the priusv to the junkyard to scavenge parts. You can handily fit an entire engine+transmission inside one of them with the seats down. Maybe even only the single seat folded down.