Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He also inspired Major Disaster to reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Schneider Heim posted:

Has Superman ever had one of his rogues reform and work with him, a la Clayface?
Mxy's a lot more helpful than he used to be.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

Has Superman ever had one of his rogues reform and work with him, a la Clayface?

Batman :xd:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Emil Hamilton was a villain who reformed (and then unreformed in a super-lovely story.)
Doomsday briefly became good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Does Lobo count.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Does Lobo count.

Not very well!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 14, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lobo isn't one of Superman's rogues. He's The Main Man.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Schneider Heim posted:

That electric girl, whom Superman gave his old blue costume to.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

WickedHate posted:

That electric girl, whom Superman gave his old blue costume to.
Livewire!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Lobo isn't one of Superman's rogues. He's The Main Man.

Superman is one of Lobo's rogues

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Endless Mike posted:

Superman is one of Lobo's rogues

Yeah. Back when one of his powers was bleeding creates clones.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

There's a friendly version of the Toyman, but he's not the same person as the original Toyman, Winslow Schott, so it's not really a reformation.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Isn't Metallo currently a hero?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Selachian posted:

There's a friendly version of the Toyman, but he's not the same person as the original Toyman, Winslow Schott, so it's not really a reformation.

Also the friendly Toyman was revealed to be a robot created by the original Toyman because Geoff Johns loving refuses to let the rest of us have the things we like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Also the friendly Toyman was revealed to be a robot created by the original Toyman because Geoff Johns loving refuses to let the rest of us have the things we like.

The Asian kid was a robot?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Until now literally the only thing I knew about the good Toyman was that Jeph Loeb used him to tell a terrible joke about Power Girl's tits.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Rhyno posted:

The Asian kid was a robot?

According to Action 865.

Wiki says the New 52 version is a real boy, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

According to Action 865.

Wiki says the New 52 version is a real boy, though.

God drat it Johns.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I haven't read Lex Luthor being in the Justice League yet, and have always assumed it to be a con on his part. I also didn't know about the Doomsday bit. Thanks!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Isn't Metallo currently a hero?

IIRC, he's currently dead. But yes, he did do a face turn.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lex is genuinely being a hero. He's still Lex, but he's saving Metropoliptians in his Superman suit and not necessarily scheming to kill anyone.

edit: Except his sister, I guess, but she's a supervillain ATM.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is Captain Cold still a Justice Leaguer and a hero?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is Captain Cold still a Justice Leaguer and a hero?

No he went Rogue again. I don't really remember if they even explained how or why he did since he seemed to be having a good time playing hero.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Teenage Fansub posted:

Lex is genuinely being a hero. He's still Lex, but he's saving Metropoliptians in his Superman suit and not necessarily scheming to kill anyone.

edit: Except his sister, I guess, but she's a supervillain ATM.

"I could have cured cancer...if only I didn't have to keep answering the JLA emergency summons! "

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Why doesn't Superboy work as well as Robin or Kid Flash?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've been pretty cool with every Superboy except for the ones that are just a tiny Superman. 90s Superboy, Connor Superboy, and Jon Superboy all rule.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

Robin practically created the entire sidekick concept and Kid Flash was introduced just before the fad died out not long into Barry's tenure. Superboy was just too late, and Supergirl(also from decades earlier) already filled a lot of his niche anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

purple death ray posted:

I've been pretty cool with every Superboy except for the ones that are just a tiny Superman. 90s Superboy, Connor Superboy, and Jon Superboy all rule.

Aren't those first two the same one? Or have I literally missed that for the last 15 years?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay so as I've been reading through tons of books I've been noticing that theres a lot of good stuff that comes from image, and it's also varied you know like they don't just do superhero comics. So i don't really know much about image's history but i know it was started by McFarlane and liefeld and Jim Lee and some others and that they were doing spawn and wildcats and i think youngblood? and okay my point is that the publisher started with hero type books.

I know this may be a silly question but was the change just a natural outgrowth of name recognition earned over time gaining trust and willingness by creators to go to them with their work, or was there a moment where the original guys moved on from actually making books and that allowed others in move in and full the void, or like an editorial decision to change it up? Am i just completely off base and they've been putting out unique stuff the whole time? lol

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

Aren't those first two the same one? Or have I literally missed that for the last 15 years?

Are they?

poo poo, they are. Well, both of his designs are good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

site posted:

Okay so as I've been reading through tons of books I've been noticing that theres a lot of good stuff that comes from image, and it's also varied you know like they don't just do superhero comics. So i don't really know much about image's history but i know it was started by McFarlane and liefeld and Jim Lee and some others and that they were doing spawn and wildcats and i think youngblood? and okay my point is that the publisher started with hero type books.

I know this may be a silly question but was the change just a natural outgrowth of name recognition earned over time gaining trust and willingness by creators to go to them with their work, or was there a moment where the original guys moved on from actually making books and that allowed others in move in and full the void, or like an editorial decision to change it up? Am i just completely off base and they've been putting out unique stuff the whole time? lol

All those guys came out of doing superhero comics and continued to make their own under the Image umbrella, but they all had their own studios. Some folded (I think), some got merged back in with the mainstream (Wildstorm got bought by DC), and some continued as just the brand. Same with the creators, some moved onto publishing, some kept doing their work, some went back to the Big Two. Image for a long time was mainly known for creator owned superhero work (with exceptions like Maxx) and they weren't doing to well in the early/late 00's. Not sure what changed, but they started becoming a publisher of other creator owned works and whoever is there has a really good eye for talent. I think that it being started by creators let them attract others with fairly good terms and they've been willing to take risks. I wanna say they started publishing some webcomics and got a hit with Walking Dead and that was the start of the change in direction.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Someone, maybe E&C made a really good effort post about Image some time ago that went into their history, but no, they didn't start out as the company they are now. Early Image was 110% style over substance. I don't remember when they started pushing away from superheroes, but they began to bring in good writers somewhat early.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

SonicRulez posted:

Superboy was never used as a sidekick. They rarely even teamed up. Superboy does stand on his own better than Kid Flash, though even Kid Flash does fine away from his mentor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Superboy wasn't his own being until 1993. Prior to that he was just a younger version of Superman. And when he did become his own thing he had a series run for like 9 years which is no small accomplishment.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I didn't see a grading thread in BSS, so I figure this is probably the thread to ask this particular question:

In my case, is a grading service worth it?

I have 3 books that are in the $150 to $300 range and 5 in the $40-$60 range, depending on where you are looking and what your definition of "very fine to near-mint" is. I'd like to part with these books and put some money in my pocket, but I'd also like to avoid wasting my time for a couple extra bucks. Also, I'm in Canada, which would mean shipping costs and a lovely exchange rate. Is there any point using a grading service if I want to sell these online? Or should I see what I could get from a local shop or convention without grading?

Thanks in advance, BSS.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SonicRulez posted:

They should have named him Flashboy instead.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wasn't Rob Liefeld actually heavily responsible for the Image renaissance, or did it just start and end with him going "Okay. They can reboot my old comics. Sure"

edit: and then "Whatever. I've gotta do some revitalizing of my own. Hawk and Dove!"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 27, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dillbag posted:

I didn't see a grading thread in BSS, so I figure this is probably the thread to ask this particular question:

I have 3 books that are in the $150 to $300 range and 5 in the $40-$60 range, depending on where you are looking and what your definition of "very fine to near-mint" is. I'd like to part with these books and put some money in my pocket, but I'd also like to avoid wasting my time for a couple extra bucks. Also, I'm in Canada, which would mean shipping costs and a lovely exchange rate. Is there any point using a grading service if I want to sell these online? Or should I see what I could get from a local shop or convention without grading?

Thanks in advance, BSS.

How old are the books?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Superboy wasn't his own being until 1993. Prior to that he was just a younger version of Superman. And when he did become his own thing he had a series run for like 9 years which is no small accomplishment.

And he was a fairly standard teen superhero with attitude in the 1990s, which I think is important. When Geoff Johns started writing him he was a bit of a sad-sack who moped about his evil Luthor genes and then died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

Thanks in advance, BSS.

What are the actual issues?