Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

On the upside, these dumb people sticking with the project and finding reasons to put more of their money in it, make it easier for the others to get a refund.

At least Crobbers tried! I am a family man and support Crobbers dreams because uhm hang on my wife is saying something to me.... divorce!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

lol that is v satisfying. dont think the backers have generally been this pissed before.

hey erris now that youre a cool drinkin guy come get drunk in here with us

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Hey, Derek, will you please stop telling people I am one of your alts, already? This is getting really stale.

grimcreaper posted:

I'm Smarticus!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Ok, I'll bite, what the gently caress does ELE stand for?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Megabound posted:

Ok, I'll bite, what the gently caress does ELE stand for?

Extinction level event

Ie the thing that will finally bring cig burning to the ground

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

apparently an ele occured a while ago according to the good doctor, but cig have somehow managed to limp on. i don't know why; they should be planning exit strategies and looking to change legal names asap

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

$900+ bag

The backers will never know :ssh:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

Extinction level event

Ie the thing that will finally bring cig burning to the ground

Ah, thanks.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Was the predicted Dildo ship revealed?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

EmesiS posted:

The Dildo is more than 2 km long and will be modelled in intricate detail.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EmesiS posted:

Yes, there was an anal plug ship in-game already. The nipple ring dreadnought is next.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Would it be enough for the titanic ? She posted herself getting boarded by thousand hungry men already, will this ship make her pledge ?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh God.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Guy, I'm starting to get worried about the future of star citizen. I mean, even beer jumped ship. What's next? Toast? the call your parents guy? (you know that deviant has to be a backer).

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I feel like this should be the start of a refund cascade.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tokamak posted:

In project management, a death march is a project that the participants feel is destined to fail, or that requires a stretch of unsustainable overwork. The general feel of the project reflects that of an actual death march because project members are forced to continue the project by their superiors against their better judgment.

Software development and software engineering are the fields in which practitioners first applied the term to these project management practices. Other fields have since recognized the same occurrence in their own spheres and have adopted the name.

Death marches of the destined-to-fail type usually are a result of unrealistic or overly optimistic expectations in scheduling, feature scope, or both, and often include lack of appropriate documentation or relevant training and outside expertise that would be needed to accomplish the task successfully. The knowledge of the doomed nature of the project weighs heavily on the psyche of its participants, as if they are helplessly watching themselves and their coworkers being forced to torture themselves and march toward death. Often, the death march will involve desperate attempts to right the course of the project by asking team members to work especially grueling hours (14-hour days, 7-day weeks, etc.) or by attempting to "throw (enough) bodies at the problem", often causing burnout.

Often, the discomfort is heightened by the knowledge that "it didn't have to be this way"; that is, that if the company wanted to achieve the goal of the project, it could have done so in a successful way had it been managed competently (such as by devoting the obviously required resources, including bringing all relevant expertise, technology, or applied science to the task rather than just whatever incomplete knowledge a few employees happened to possess). Patent under-resourcing is especially offensive at a large corporation with sufficiently deep pockets; at least at small companies, a gap between resources and needs is understandable, but at large, profitable, cash-rich companies, under-resourcing is not a necessity and thus feels to most workers like stupidity. Business culture pressures, such as the long-noted phenomenon of corporations pursuing short-term maximization of profits via cost cutting or avoidance that is damaging to long-term best interest, may play a role in addition to mere incompetence.

Good post about bad things.

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You have to love how people are disappointed at not seeing SQ42. Yet we all know once it's released the project is over - no one but paid off reviewers will be able to see anything redeemable in Chris' "vision" of terrible acting and zero gameplay.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

hardycore posted:

What game would you make with 140 million, endless time, and a legion of devoted followers?

Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor, in the style of Deus Ex.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

My God, it's full of stars!

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Second Sun posted:

You have to love how people are disappointed at not seeing SQ42. Yet we all know once it's released the project is over - no one but paid off reviewers will be able to see anything redeemable in Chris' "vision" of terrible acting and zero gameplay.

I don't think they will even make it to Squadron 42 now. I've really been waiting for it to release to be like a new age "Daikatana" or something.

But if they need to release parts of Squadron 42 to be able to fund Star Citizen and make their money back, yet the game is still so broken and hosed that they can't even show a trailer of it?

They can fake AI like they did in citcon, but to not be able to even show the game that must mean the animation is broken. The animation that leaks have repeatedly said, from multiple people, is broken. The animation that cost $70,000,000+ dollars. They are at the point where the only thing they have to use is this $70,000,000+ in motion capture, but the whales aren't paying them enough to actually fix it / make it work / utilize it due to a multi year campaign of idiot decisions by Chris Roberts. Such as picking the worst possible engine, the stupidest possible way to present the game, and to develop it completely backwards.

I think we hit Peak Whale sometime earlier this year, and this is just the whales starting to realize it. Backers can no longer fund the costs of what Crobblers is doing and the goodwill and time he has been able to buy with lies has run out. So now his hilariously overblown costs for hilariously stupid development decisions is going to be met with a sharp funding decrease and possible refund cascade.

I'd say this might be it. Backers probably have another month or two before/during possible downsizing before the stoppage of paychecks to wrestle their money out of this dumpster fire.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:
"this is our chance to tell them they were wrong and they will listen"

Lol no they wont erris.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

aside from awful nondescript mocap spaceship engineers and things, has there been anything sq42 specific in months or years? i cant remember the last time they showed something remotely close to a product

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
I didn't make any livestream predictions, but I'm going to make one for the aftermath:

This is the last time we see or hear from Disco Lando on one of these streams.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

This is the last time we see or hear from Disco Lando on one of these streams.
He was the guy who, wearing a Santa suit, rolled into the shot on an office chair as Chris was trying to play his own game a year ago.

ArcaneLayne
Aug 12, 2016
I know ZenMaster said he's on it as well, but I went ahead and backed up the stream as well: https://mega.nz/#!7ZMERIKJ!CFaMnWemVXvclMEFm8RN49Pr36tj9M3wGhjHpax9vpA
Sorry for the flash-video (.flv) format, turns out that's the default in OBS Studio.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

alf_pogs posted:

aside from awful nondescript mocap spaceship engineers and things, has there been anything sq42 specific in months or years? i cant remember the last time they showed something remotely close to a product

There was the Admiral Bishop speech that at the time was lightly derided as kinda hokey and in the current environment would probably be torn to shreds.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Breetai posted:

There was the Admiral Bishop speech that at the time was lightly derided as kinda hokey and in the current environment would probably be torn to shreds.

I wonder if that has something to do with it? Chris would probably suffer some kind of mental breakdown if he released a chunk of his magnum opus and it got savaged. So he's trying to make it absolutely perfect (Within his own limited vision of perfection) to keep what's left of his ego intact, and never have to face reality that nobody wants him as a storyteller.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The virtual Gary Oldman probably drowned after giving all that speech underwater.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

alphabettitouretti posted:

Did he actually say this?

The Titanic posted:

Did he really say that??? Oh please be true.

Yes. I'm sure someone can lift it out of the couch segment with CR and TZ.

They said 'all we need to do is layer code on top of blah blah blah (ideas that they came up with 5 minutes prior).'

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I would like to thank everyone here. If it weren't for you guys I might be one of them.

Love you too bud.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I believe someone said he's spent $11k on this.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:stare:

no

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Okay so this might be immediately obvious to most of you, or I'm just rehashing old poo poo but today I was able to put everything together:

When Citizens say there is a separate 3.0 being worked on alongside 2.x builds, they are correct.

It dawned on me that TZ is solely responsible for all promised gameplay features of 'Star Citizen', and is considered 3.x. But they also handle everything for SC server side, which in an MMO I'm guessing is pretty much the whole game. When the other studios say the 'netcode' or 'backend' isn't up to snuff, they are talking directly about Tony and his team in Austin.

Tony had to get Items 2.0 working because CIG LA wanted to sell clothes. Tony has to get '64bit positioning' working because CIG LA wanted to show a demo that looked 'seamless'. Tony has to work on 'AI subsumption' because Foundry is trying to make SQ42 but there's no AI, probably a crucial component to get any kind of demo out.

I'm sure Tony and his team are right now hard at work trying to get the server end of Star Marine to work. That's all he's been working on. Mining, cargo, VIP transport, news van, whatever whatever are literally just ideas because they are.

Citizens think its all been worked out, and that 3.0 is ready to go it just needs to be 'hooked up' to art assets. I can see why now, except lol it's not.

HKS fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 17, 2016

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
This was brought up earlier but it looks like they spliced together footage for star marine, there was a 30s difference every time they switched from an American player feed to a UK player feed.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
lol

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Astroneer is cute and fun and half the price of CIG's cheapest JPEG.

I posted a few more pics here: http://imgur.com/a/btweI

edit: They have a public roadmap. You know, something that doesn't look entirely like magical thinking.

I just now played it for the past four hours straight and had a blast. There is still plenty to do. :)

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 17, 2016

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
"What could only be described as streaming amateur hour, the stream was extremely cringeworthy. Not only was the audio either not working or out of sync for much of the stream, but the whole first part was simply terrible. The commentary over the 2.6 gameplay in the first section was embarrassing, and why anyone would want to watch the devs challenge each other on the race tracks for a large chunk of the stream is a mystery."

:lol:

http://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen-holiday-stream-squadron-42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

his nibs posted:

"What could only be described as streaming amateur hour, the stream was extremely cringeworthy. Not only was the audio either not working or out of sync for much of the stream, but the whole first part was simply terrible. The commentary over the 2.6 gameplay in the first section was embarrassing, and why anyone would want to watch the devs challenge each other on the race tracks for a large chunk of the stream is a mystery."

:lol:

http://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen-holiday-stream-squadron-42

From the comments:

vander
3 hours ago
"Star Citizen PU Alpha 2.6.0 is now available for wave 1.

Also the latest Monthly report includes plenty of interesting information and pictures. Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 will be amazing.
https://robertsspaceindustries...

Great times."

Denial lmao

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 17, 2016