Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think it'd be nice if people would reply to the christmas thread and post some bigger images of what they have to sell (with links to them). A curated browsing experience, and all that.

Tinydryad posted:

Excellent, sent. Thanks for wrangling the thread!

Great, got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Solenna posted:

I did the thread last year, but won't be able to this year, turns out babies are time consuming

same but toddlers

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Tunicate posted:

I think it'd be nice if people would reply to the christmas thread and post some bigger images of what they have to sell (with links to them). A curated browsing experience, and all that.

Great, got it.

done and done

Just seen the ad come up in the rotation, good stuff :D

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Next ad with the next 3 guys in it

My only question: does this seem too aggro-gator for people to click?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Thread/ad definitely seems to be driving views, I'm well up on yesterday. No orders yet, but it's still early, and even if I get no orders it never hurts to have views and followers

MisterGoGo
Jun 16, 2015
Sent in my application, I'll do a good post in the thread if I'm approved :)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MisterGoGo posted:

Sent in my application, I'll do a good post in the thread if I'm approved :)

I'm not seeing it, where'd you send it?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Okay, third ad is up!

Thanks for everyone who's participating.

By the way, if you wanted to try using promoted listings on etsy, this is a very good time of year to try them (or at least, they've had a twice as good ROI for me)

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I've decided not to reopen my etsy shop but I did just put a few Cat Ties for sale on my personal website. Hope it is cool to post in this thread.

https://www.sewsmooth.net/shop

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
got some rainbows up, including this crazy new rainbow fur I ordered. Also pastels!

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Krakenkritters

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I make and sell fidget toys!

Running a 15% off promo for the holidays currently with HOLIDAY15 coupon code, will continue as goon coupon after New Year's.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SFTMDesign

~*~MY GIRLFRIEND~*~ also makes Disney inspired brooches and hairbands!

https://www.etsy.com/shop/dangboutique

Tunicate posted:

My only question: does this seem too aggro-gator for people to click?

Are there still slots to get in?

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 17, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Are there still slots to get in?

Yeah sure, but I'm going to bed now so I'd be adding you sometime tomorrow

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Yeah sure, but I'm going to bed now so I'd be adding you sometime tomorrow

No worries, or rush. I actually just realized I don't even have a banner. I'll try to work something up tomorrow!

MisterGoGo
Jun 16, 2015
Hey guys, I'm adding some things to The Spooky Workshop https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheSpookyWorkshop

A human heart:

Human fingers:

Squish balls of Benito Mussolini, Pope John Paul II and Napoleon (the ones you'll get will be a bit cleaner, these are raw):

And an extendable pointer finger:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Etsy is running a promo through the 27th: Spend $50 on an Etsy purchase and get $10 towards your next one.

Probably great for anyone who has etsy gift cards.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Does anybody have any advice for dealing with burnout? I've been doing this for money for a little while now and my output is way lower than when I was doing it for fun.

I'm working with better tools and materials now, too. I should love what I'm doing but it seems like as long as it's a job, I'm going to hate it.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I'd be interested to hear them too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Good news, etsy is upgrading 'direct checkout' to 'etsy payments'

https://www.etsy.com/payments

Basically this means they're just accepting a bunch more currencies and payment options, if you have direct checkout already it gets automatically upgraded.

Eodoin
Dec 3, 2014

They also made it so if you get payed though Paypal it can get deposited with the rest of your money on Etsy. As opposed to having to get it from Paypal. Though you do have active that in your payment settings.

Eodoin fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 12, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also people can buy through etsy without having an etsy account, which should make it easier to sell.

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
I'm having a flash sale to promote my kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1443973589/ambienoise-crappy-taxidermy-lovingly-crafted-for-y

Enter FLASHAAH for 25% off your order of $20 or more! https://www.etsy.com/shop/ambienoise

I make horrible taxidermy. Buy my weird poo poo :D

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
After haunting Etsy for a little over a year I finally made 2 purchases last month. 2 items from overseas that I can't wait to get my hands on. As long as a shop takes PayPal it's all good.

How come Etsy doesn't have regular specials like Society6 20% off/free shipping? I've made about 14 purchases with Society6 compared to Etsy measly 2. Almost each of my purchases are around $60-100. Love these shops, I really do.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

After haunting Etsy for a little over a year I finally made 2 purchases last month. 2 items from overseas that I can't wait to get my hands on. As long as a shop takes PayPal it's all good.

How come Etsy doesn't have regular specials like Society6 20% off/free shipping? I've made about 14 purchases with Society6 compared to Etsy measly 2. Almost each of my purchases are around $60-100. Love these shops, I really do.

Because etsy stores are run by individuals - etsy itself only takes a 3-5% total cut on each item. While if you sell a $24 t-shirt on society6 the artist only gets $2.40 from that, and society6 takes the remaining $19.60

Since society6 controls the pricing and shipping they can reduce their profit margins a bit for sales events. Removing etsy's cut is so trivial it's pretty meaningless (and even then they occasionally do have etsy-wide promotions, but mostly on gift cards).

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 7, 2017

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thank you Tunicate that clears that up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

Thank you Tunicate that clears that up.

Now, if you do want coupons (including one from my jewelry shop) the ones in the christmas thread are probably still good

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799626

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Looks like etsy is actually doing a labor day sale after all. They just implemented a new system so you could actually set up temporary sales on items/shops, and then stuck everything on sale into a big pile for labor day

https://www.etsy.com/sales

Eodoin
Dec 3, 2014

Dang about time they let us do sales. Much better then trying to throw around a promo that no one notices. Just can't believe how long it took them to do it. At least doing sales will be much easier now.

Also, I've been changing things up in my shop. I sold at a convention this summer and was surprised that people were more interested in my sketchbooks. So I've been working on making more of those and less of the miniature food.

I also made some dice holders. They have an LED candle in the bottom so they light up.... just not as much as I wish since I had to pile up the 'crystals' to make them sturdy enough. (And gave up a bit on the tree trunk one) Have had a lot of interest but only sold one of the four so far. (same as the tree trunk but has a tiny window)

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Those dice holders are badass, do you mind telling how they're made?

~my girlfriend~ has been getting into jewelry making and recently opened up a shop. It seems that getting exposure is difficult when you're one of many many stores, so I thought that shamelessly pimping it to goons might help a bit.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TwisxtedSerenity

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Etsy is currently matching google shopping ads, so you effective pay half price. If you're interested in trying them out, now's the time.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Are we doing a banner ad this year? Don't think it really drove my sales much last year but can't hurt to try again

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
I am an esty casual trying to wrap my head around how to make it a worthwhile selling platform for me. It seems like all guides point towards having tons of items listed (like 50-100+ separate things) as key to attracting attention- most of the things I make are customized to an individual so listing that many things means a lot of inventory to create just for the purpose of taking a picture. If I want to sell something that requires $20-50 in materials to create it's wasteful to make one I can't sell because it has my name on it- plaques, signs, engraved icons, etc. But who is going to buy something if there's not a picture of the actual item? Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

I am an esty casual trying to wrap my head around how to make it a worthwhile selling platform for me. It seems like all guides point towards having tons of items listed (like 50-100+ separate things) as key to attracting attention- most of the things I make are customized to an individual so listing that many things means a lot of inventory to create just for the purpose of taking a picture. If I want to sell something that requires $20-50 in materials to create it's wasteful to make one I can't sell because it has my name on it- plaques, signs, engraved icons, etc. But who is going to buy something if there's not a picture of the actual item? Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

You can use the same photo of an existing item for multiple individual listings. If you really wanted you could go a step further and (depending what you make) offer different sizes of the items as different listing so they come up as different prices. ie someone who knots can show the same image of a sweater with a reindeer but then have 5 different listings with that image for sweaters sized from kids to extra large.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

My custom order listings are pretty popular. If you have a few pictures of similar (but obviously not identical) past examples people will definitely buy something made to order. I'm a full timer but I'm mostly selling at events, the etsy is about 10-20% of my annual income and a good deal of that comes from giving out business cards and repeat business/covering demand for items I sold out of on the day or didn't have in the right colour or design.

what is it you sell?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Thanks for the ideas. I make wood, foam, and aluminum signs, so far exclusively military plaques and RV campsite family signs. I've only sold a handful locally and informally, so trying to make it a more regular thing with an online shop. Making 50 fake signs is just a little too wasteful, so maybe I'll work my way up to 5 or so and do separate listings for custom options instead of all the options in one listing.

I'm prototyping smaller stuff (engraved commodity items like bottle openers, or laser-cut ornaments) that can be customized to those two niches above without representing such a time and money sink as making 50 signs, but will put my equipment to work when it's not making signs. Hopefully this will help, but without data I'm kinda just guessing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Might as well start by just making an account and posting what you've got as examples of custom work, in the form of a few listings with a few different examples covered by each at various price points. Etsy wants people signing up so it's low risk, heck, get a referral going and you even get a bunch of free listings and will only pay when you sell something.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Well crap I listed one of my custom signs as having three available and after a while of zero traction all three sold this weekend. Time to make some chips and breathe some fumes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

Are we doing a banner ad this year? Don't think it really drove my sales much last year but can't hurt to try again

Whoops, totally lost track of this thread.

If I get three other people willing to toss in :10bux: within the next two days or so, I'll set up the goon etsy thread for this year.

Eodoin
Dec 3, 2014

Yeah I'll throw in :10bux: Got a few sales last year. If anything it's nice to get a bit more traffic for future sales.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
My company has been buying some custom zipper pouches from an etsy seller but when I went back to order this time, her shop and account are gone. I know I can find someone else on etsy to make these, but I figured I'd see if I could get a goon a little business.

It is pretty simple - a medium weight black zipper pouch with 2 strips of 2" velcro sewed on the back. We happen to have a bunch of the loop side velcro so we could provide that. We tend to buy about 10 a year in batches of 5.

Anyone interested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
Added a handful of new shirt designs to my shop ( only one being sloth based this time! )

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SpaceSlothArt

edit: forgot some pictures

Shuffle fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 13, 2018