Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Narcissus1916 posted:

What's the new explanation?

In Revenge of the Sith when Obi-Wan and Yoda go back to the main Temple, Obi-Wan alters the message that the Clones have set saying "Hey Jedi come back home, we have cookies" to "There are no cookies, only death, hide!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Anybody else hear the "karabast!"?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Rogue One question Did Donnie Yen use the same kind of weapon as Zeb? It sure looked like it

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

DancinBrud posted:

Anybody else hear the "karabast!"?

I did! It was the Crazy Frog lookin' dude, I think.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Rogue One question Did Donnie Yen use the same kind of weapon as Zeb? It sure looked like it

Na its just a staff thing that turns into a nerf bow and arrow thing

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Zeb's bo-rifle is different from the Light Bow Chirrut uses. Zeb's becomes an electric quarter staff. Chirrut's walking stick was separate from the light bow.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah, they just look similar when folded up I guess. I would not be surprised to see Krennick appear at a villain either at the end of this season or the start of next.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
The Ghost is shown in the shot before Vader's Star Destroyer arrives. Almost all of the smaller than a corvette class ships warp out right before it appears. One of the transports slams into the star destroyer. Since Vader is only interested in the Rebel capital ship and everything but a frigate and that ship make it out, I think it's safe to say they're safe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TheBigBad posted:

The Ghost is shown in the shot before Vader's Star Destroyer arrives. Almost all of the smaller than a corvette class ships warp out right before it appears. One of the transports slams into the star destroyer. Since Vader is only interested in the Rebel capital ship and everything but a frigate and that ship make it out, I think it's safe to say they're safe.

I loved that scene, it really showed the terror of the Empire.

Also i didn't see this mentioned in earlier spoilers on Yavin there is a loudspeaker annoucement looking for a General Syndulla, which could be Hera or her father. I'd guess Hera because her father seems like the kind that would stay on Ryloth or be dead. Plus Hera being the leader of an early Rebel cell would probably have her be a high ranking officer once the rebellion is more formal

I saw that they have a full story arc planned for Rebels, and they will finish it, so it won;t be like Clone Wars that stops pretty abruptly. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the formation of the Rebel Alliance from a group of small, independent cells because they realize the empire cannot be defeated by small actions, nor be able to defend people against the Empire's aggression.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

twistedmentat posted:

I loved that scene, it really showed the terror of the Empire.

[spoiler]I instantly thought of Vader standing on the bridge just pre-hyperspace saying "Wait, hold the jump.... hold.... NOW!"

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
In new canon there are other jedi running around that we haven't seen, just from the existence of the jedi hunting Inquisitor organisation. You don't create a group to do a task that doesn't need doing.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Vitamin P posted:

In new canon there are other jedi running around that we haven't seen, just from the existence of the jedi hunting Inquisitor organisation. You don't create a group to do a task that doesn't need doing.

The inquisitors seem to mostly be on baby-snatching duty and hunting non-jedi sensitives at this point. It was made abundantly clear that inquisitors (other than maybe the Grand Inquisitor) aren't real threats to people with actual Jedi training.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Test Pattern posted:

The inquisitors seem to mostly be on baby-snatching duty and hunting non-jedi sensitives at this point. It was made abundantly clear that inquisitors (other than maybe the Grand Inquisitor) aren't real threats to people with actual Jedi training.

I'd be far more satisfied with that explanation. It kinda rubs me the wrong way that Vader wasn't personally hunting every remaining Jedi down. Like what else did he have to do? Also I know Vader is a resource best used sparingly but after Rogue One I'd love to see him get his own solo, maybe in the style of a horror movie monster.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chickenwalker posted:

I'd be far more satisfied with that explanation. It kinda rubs me the wrong way that Vader wasn't personally hunting every remaining Jedi down. Like what else did he have to do? Also I know Vader is a resource best used sparingly but after Rogue One I'd love to see him get his own solo, maybe in the style of a horror movie monster.

What arc would he have over than Vader travels the galaxy, murders everyone.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

What arc would he need other than Vader travels the galaxy, murders everyone.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

What arc would he have over than Vader travels the galaxy, murders everyone.

Vitamin P posted:

What arc would he need other than Vader travels the galaxy, murders everyone.

Like I said, like a horror movie monster or the Terminator. We follow a bunch of sappy nobodies, maybe one's a Jedi driven to questionable moral choices, and we watch as Vader completely kicks their poo poo in. They run, some even fight, but nothing stops him and he just keeps showing back up to wreck dudes.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Chickenwalker posted:

Like I said, like a horror movie monster or the Terminator. We follow a bunch of sappy nobodies, maybe one's a Jedi driven to questionable moral choices, and we watch as Vader completely kicks their poo poo in. They run, some even fight, but nothing stops him and he just keeps showing back up to wreck dudes.

Sort of the feeling of despair when Kanan and Ezra go up against him and barely get away with their lives. Consider the current Marvel comic. The "Vader Down" event in particular, in which the Rebels manage to shoot him down and promptly get their everything kicked in trying to capture or kill him.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
That bit was great.

Y wings! Vader throws rocks at Y wings! No Y wings!

It's a shame the art was apocalyptically bad in the crossover.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
The whole Jedi purge is an exaggeration. There are plenty of Jedi still around during the original trilogy. Obi-wan and Yoda are both very unreliable narrators.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, pretty much everything Obi-Wan says in A New Hope is either misrepresentation or a straight up lie.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah, pretty much everything Obi-Wan says in A New Hope is either misrepresentation or a straight up lie.

So Mos Eisley is actually a pretty nice place, it's just that one bar that's kinda a dive

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

bunnyofdoom posted:

So Mos Eisley is actually a pretty nice place, it's just that one bar that's kinda a dive

Well, the owner is pretty racist towards droids, maybe he's an outlier and responsible for lowering the tone of the place.

Or maybe that time Obi-Wan was honest. :iiam:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Maybe Obi-Wan's the racist, he was looking for any excuse to cut off an alien's arm.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Considering how much he had to deal with Jar jar I think that is likely

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

TheBigBad posted:

The whole Jedi purge is an exaggeration. There are plenty of Jedi still around during the original trilogy. Obi-wan and Yoda are both very unreliable narrators.

Everyone writer making their special snowflake Jedi being able to survive Order 66 and the subsequent Purge was and is dumb

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bad Moon posted:

Everyone writer making their special snowflake Jedi being able to survive Order 66 and the subsequent Purge was and is dumb

Someone said something once about the fact that Obi-wan chose Tatooine was the reason Vader couldn't sense him, the trauma of his childhood slavery and his mother's death caused him to avoid it physically and mentally, creating a blind spot. Everyone else he was able to either sense or track down. Guess it doesn't explain Yoda unless you go with the dumb "Dark Jedi was killed here creating a Dark Side nexus" explanation.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tatooine: Has sand - triggered for life

Mustafar: Best friend chops off your last 3 limbs. Almost died, permanently disfigured for life. Place where (he believes)his wife died. - Makes his new house there

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TheBigBad posted:

The movie doesnt become wrong because some lovely EU books need new stories

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Bad Moon posted:

Yeah, Ahsoka v Vader was and is dumb, real dumb.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think there's a line in the original trilogy about how Dagobah has a super dark energy and that's how Yoda cloaked his presence. And while I agree that a ton of jedi surviving order 66 can grate, it also makes a certain amount of sense. In revenge of the sith a bunch of jedi go out like total chumps.

If you haven't read it, the Kanan mini-series is pretty decent and does a great job of depicting the trauma of the Clone Wars.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think there's a line in the original trilogy about how Dagobah has a super dark energy and that's how Yoda cloaked his presence.

nope

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I figured that because Dagobah was just the rear end in a top hat of the Universe. The post taco bell fart rear end in a top hat.

But there is nothing stopping there be more Jedi that survived. Kanaan is the last Padawan, but full fledged Knights and Masters may have survived, but few survived Vaders hunt, so by the time ANH happens, the Jedi are pretty much extinct.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

banned from Starbucks posted:

Mustafar: Best friend chops off your last 3 limbs. Almost died, permanently disfigured for life. Place where (he believes)his wife died. - Makes his new house there

Housing prices on Coruscant are insane, man. If you have the chance to buy a castle you take what you can get.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yoda blends in with Dagobah's environment.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I also think Bast Castle being on Mustafar is extremely stupid and flies in the face of the existing characterization of Vader. That doesn't invalidate the idea of avoidance due to trauma though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Palpatine designated Mount Doom as Vader's house because Palpatine is a petty gently caress who likes screwing with his emotionally dead manservant.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why even have a castle? Just live on your personal Star Destroyer.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Funky Valentine posted:

Palpatine designated Mount Doom as Vader's house because Palpatine is a petty gently caress who likes screwing with his emotionally dead manservant.

"Are you still crying about Padamame or Panda Bear or whatever her name was?" I love Robot Chicken Star Wars.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Isn't Vader's fortress from the original Star Wars "Starkiller" draft? It's a nice nod to what was. Plus, Rebels has mentioned that Lavaland is not a place you want to go. At the time, the bookies in the thread went crazy because they loved the idea of Vader making the place of his greatest defeat being the place of his triumph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Why even have a castle? Just live on your personal Star Destroyer.

Yeah I really don't want to know where that cyborg rear end in a top hat lives.

• Locked thread