Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sakurazuka posted:

It's gonna play like a standard FPS only slow and you can't aim for poo poo if the demo is any indication

That doesn't sound very good to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

That doesn't sound very good to me
That's basically what a rather loud part of the fanbase wants in Resident Evil, as well as puzzles.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I preordered Resident Evil 7: Biohazard on Steam. It's gonna fuckin' own!

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Raxivace posted:

That's basically what a rather loud part of the fanbase wants in Resident Evil, as well as puzzles.

It is? Are you talking about people who like the classic titles? Because I don't think most of them are excited about this either, this is almost as far removed from the classic titles as it is from the more action-based ones.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I really don't want Capcom to try and satisfy everyone, they started out ballsy having barely anything familer with Resident evil from the start and it got it's attention

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Son Ryo posted:

It is? Are you talking about people who like the classic titles? Because I don't think most of them are excited about this either, this is almost as far removed from the classic titles as it is from the more action-based ones.
It's my impression from people in Facebook comments, Reddit, GameFAQs, and early reviews of that press build of the game. A lot of them think RE7 basically is just the old games, but in first person, since it isn't like RE4/5/6 and has puzzles, an aesthetic that somewhat resembles REmake etc.

Of course I doubt most of those people have played the classic games recently, because I do think RE7 seems like it will be as different as RE4 was (Though I don't think RE4 was too huge a leap from the classic games. Or at least, not as far as some would have you believe).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've only played with the gun in VR (which is handled in an incredibly bizarre way I don't really like but I can live with it). What is so bad about it in regular mode? Do you think you can get a good read on it being bad considering you have one weapon, a few bullets and nothing to kill (that's not sarcasm I'm actually curious)

In VR it's super weird. You aim with your head. Which isn't that bad in itself. But you have a phantom arm that feels like it's sticking out of the side of your head. Since I knew I was holding a controller I straight up felt like I was Goro or something while using the gun. It was an incredibly weird and off sensation.

RE7 is just dying for motion controller support. 1-1 tracking of your arm would be loving amazing and elevate the experience so much.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

I can cope with having guns on m head but a shotgun is too awkard for me

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you will come to love the skul gun. or maybe not, i dunno. i can't handle vr.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I can cope with having guns on m head but a shotgun is too awkard for me

Preach!

I just started replaying RE4 on PC (Steam), hadn't played any but the GameCube version before. Game aged like a fine wine, I dig this port too. I also recently learned that the guy who voices Leon in RE4 also voices the merchant! That's cool.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you will come to love the skul gun. or maybe not, i dunno. i can't handle vr.

You aren't a man you're a 40k skull servitor.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Will the PC demo be available on Steam?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Yes but it's later this month

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shouldn't it be available on Tuesday?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Demo is out on the 19th on steam. Midnight i think.

Playing through all the games again before release of 7, first time i'm playing zero since the cube and holy loving poo poo i forgot how bland and crappy it was. if you wanna talk about terrible piece of poo poo RE games then zero has gotta be at number 1. Not even survivor is that bad (havent played that one since release either so i might come back and edit this post)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol All of the Survivor games combined are still worse than 0, even if you lived in a country where they let you use a lightgun to play them.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Wesker Mode is awesome and makes RE:0 worth a play through, or two.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Zero has many of the same issues that Code Veronica does. RE 1-3 all transition very smoothly from the starting locations to the intermediary stops to the lab and it makes the game continually fresh and well paced. Res1 does it immaculately, 2 quite well but is assisted by the game being so short, and 3 is where it starts to slip but still feels natural.

Zero and veronica have harsh transitions from the initial settings to the endgame and it's jarring. Additionally since those settings are geographically isolated it necessitates a ton of backtracking, causing you to get sick of where you are. Considering your primary location feeling like a supporting character is a hallmark of RE, this sucks.

And that's before you get into lovely anime plots and awful characters.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

weekly font posted:

Zero has many of the same issues that Code Veronica does. RE 1-3 all transition very smoothly from the starting locations to the intermediary stops to the lab and it makes the game continually fresh and well paced. Res1 does it immaculately, 2 quite well but is assisted by the game being so short, and 3 is where it starts to slip but still feels natural.

Zero and veronica have harsh transitions from the initial settings to the endgame and it's jarring. Additionally since those settings are geographically isolated it necessitates a ton of backtracking, causing you to get sick of where you are. Considering your primary location feeling like a supporting character is a hallmark of RE, this sucks.
Plus in the case of Veronica, it results in the adventure game staple of being able to gently caress yourself over way later in the game, though not in the inevitable game over kind of sense at least.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Code Veronica is easily the longest of the classic Resident Evil games but I love that game. It's kind of neat to look at the subtle changes from when you go through areas as Claire and then revisit the area as Chris.

Also, I must be the only person in the world that remembers the Dreamcast game Carrier. I loved that game too because it was so easy and it actually gave you a mid range weapon with infinite ammo. I also remember the 2nd campaign being like 40 minutes long compared to the 1st one being 5-6 hours.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Plus in the case of Veronica, it results in the adventure game staple of being able to gently caress yourself over way later in the game, though not in the inevitable game over kind of sense at least.

You can miss out on some optional items, but if I am not mistaken, Chris gets enough ammo to get through his own campaign.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 18, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Only if you're really bad at the game, sure.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sakurazuka posted:

Only if you're really bad at the game, sure.
Most people aren't lugging around fire extinguishers first play through

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

It gets you the magnum, but that is hardly needed to beat the game considering you can use both Claire and Chris's arsenal combined.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
http://store.steampowered.com/app/530620/

The Resident Evil 7 demo ought to be available on PC sometime late tonight (link is above but it's not live yet.)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Come to think of it, it's now impossible to see any of the phone calls in the demo. That's content that theoretically PC and Xbox players could never know had even existed, and I think that whole character has basically been removed.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Demo looks and runs great on PC, tons of graphics options as well. Looks like another quality Capcom pc port. No regrets preordering.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

man nurse posted:

Demo looks and runs great on PC, tons of graphics options as well. Looks like another quality Capcom pc port. No regrets preordering.

It runs great (120-144fps at 1080p on max settings) until I get to the basement then the framerates take a nosedive and stay that way even when I go back upstairs.
Looks like a memory leak problem to me. Running on an i5 6600k at 4.5ghz with a 970 OC and 16gb of ram.

edit
Any settings that can go to 'very high' you should leave on 'high' if you have a GPU with 4GB and less of memory, the game is a massive memory hog and you will get endless hitching and stuttering before long. My friend sees 6GB of VRAM usage on his 1080.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 19, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i used to be willing to preorder re games on pc, but rev2 permanently soured me on the notion.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i used to be willing to preorder re games on pc, but rev2 permanently soured me on the notion.

At least they fixed it though. Took a few months but i'd say it's the best version.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Convex posted:

At least they fixed it though. Took a few months but i'd say it's the best version.

since it took a few months for them to fix it rev2 obviously wasn't worth preordering. that's almost a tautology.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Code Veronica is easily the longest of the classic Resident Evil games but I love that game. It's kind of neat to look at the subtle changes from when you go through areas as Claire and then revisit the area as Chris.
On the balance I'm still a fan, Veronica is just a little less tight than I'd prefer. A game centered around a single specific location, but with consecutive stories that sees the place fall apart could be kinda neat. Something like a chapter featuring a test subject/scientist trying to escape, a chapter with security forces trying to contain the situation, and then a final chapter featuring the hero doing the RE hero thing, with preceding chapters affecting things like item availability, which doors you can pass through, and which monsters you'll meet. The different chapters probably shouldn't be the same length though, or necessarily cover all the same locations, so there's still some real exploration to be done in the final chapter.

blackguy32 posted:

It gets you the magnum, but that is hardly needed to beat the game considering you can use both Claire and Chris's arsenal combined.
It's definitely true that you don't need it in a practical sense, but we all want to feel like Barry sometimes.

HateCrimeDoxNet
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
CRAZY GARBAGE

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 19, 2016

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
:same:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Is Resident Evil esports?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

On the balance I'm still a fan, Veronica is just a little less tight than I'd prefer. A game centered around a single specific location, but with consecutive stories that sees the place fall apart could be kinda neat. Something like a chapter featuring a test subject/scientist trying to escape, a chapter with security forces trying to contain the situation, and then a final chapter featuring the hero doing the RE hero thing, with preceding chapters affecting things like item availability, which doors you can pass through, and which monsters you'll meet. The different chapters probably shouldn't be the same length though, or necessarily cover all the same locations, so there's still some real exploration to be done in the final chapter.

It's definitely true that you don't need it in a practical sense, but we all want to feel like Barry sometimes.

Hey, Resident Evil Code Veronica was the one game that let me live my dreams of having a literal trunk full of ammo. I think I had over 300 bullets, 30 explosive bowgun bolts, etc. If you know when to dump all your stuff as Claire, you are going to have an extremely easy time as Chris.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Is Resident Evil esports?

Yes. Complete global saturation!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

Hey, Resident Evil Code Veronica was the one game that let me live my dreams of having a literal trunk full of ammo. I think I had over 300 bullets, 30 explosive bowgun bolts, etc. If you know when to dump all your stuff as Claire, you are going to have an extremely easy time as Chris.
No amount of bullets is gonna fill your magnum-shaped hole.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

No amount of bullets is gonna fill your magnum-shaped hole.

Well 18 might, because that's just about how many magnum bullets are available in the whole game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I really want to like this game based off the demo, but the fight against the monster has me worried. It puts you in a cramped space with something that seems to take a bunch of its (I noticed its arm came off, so I guess it's not invincible) and if you die, you have to start all over. I like the exploration aspect of the game, but unless there's something I'm missing about the combat (never found the gun, so I used the axe and it was miserable) I might have to give this game a pass.

On the other hand, it did reunite us with a good friend:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Momomo posted:

I really want to like this game based off the demo, but the fight against the monster has me worried. It puts you in a cramped space with something that seems to take a bunch of its (I noticed its arm came off, so I guess it's not invincible) and if you die, you have to start all over. I like the exploration aspect of the game, but unless there's something I'm missing about the combat (never found the gun, so I used the axe and it was miserable) I might have to give this game a pass.
To get the gun run in the room, grab the crank, then run back to the door immediately, trying to open it. Jack will reveal he's trapped you in. Press the action button twice to break it down, and then go and get the gun from the bathroom through the obvious puzzle in there.

Alternatively, you can skip getting the gun entirely, run back into the room after leaving it with the crank, go to the back and get the key, and then run immediately out of the room. The monster will permanently despawn once you leave the room with the key.