Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

There are a few good games for VR right now without teleportation, namely Superhot VR, I expect you to die, Climbey, The Climb, Onward, Out of Ammo (which is mediocre imho) and a plethora of cockpit-based sim games. I just can't wait for Resident Evil 7 as the demo is the best thing in VR right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Basic Chunnel posted:

Tried out the CV1, not 100% sure what I was expecting - some very cool bits and very effective jump scares from not-great horror games (the "examine to the left while thing materializes to the right" thing really works when the view control isn't abstracted through a controller). There is some visual blur that's a little disappointing, though it seems to come out worse in some things than others.

I'm also yet to have tried anything that didn't use teleportation as a movement mechanic, and I loved Myst as a kid enough not to mind but I'm hoping Touch adds to the experience. I'm already looking at my space and anticipating the limitations of what can be done with the tech at this juncture. You can envision the folly of a project like CLANG! that needed force feedback that denies physics. I'm worrying I spent $600 on a cool party trick and am hoping for something ambitious, a real game, to come along not too long from now. I saw some friends playing on PSVR and there were at least some very cool, immersive and visually sumptuous things out for that system.

If only the Alien Isolation hack hadn't been made impossible by program updates…

Dude, go get Touch. I had CV1 since launch and it was more or less a doorstop, the moment I got Touch I have a pile of fun content and I play it every day now. Yeah you'll still teleport around somewhat but you can move in roomspace too. Rec Room's Dodgeball and Paintball are awesome for that, you can teleport to get around but still duck, jump, and strafe a few feet out of the way of things.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm waiting for Thumper to get VR support patched in (some time this month, supposedly) because holy gently caress yes.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Dude, go get Touch. I had CV1 since launch and it was more or less a doorstop, the moment I got Touch I have a pile of fun content and I play it every day now. Yeah you'll still teleport around somewhat but you can move in roomspace too. Rec Room's Dodgeball and Paintball are awesome for that, you can teleport to get around but still duck, jump, and strafe a few feet out of the way of things.

This guy knows what's up, here's a good explanation of the state of the union:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce1DFGReo5Y&t=102s

We've only just barely achieved Move-Around & Walk-Around VR and it's absolutely incredible compared to seated experiences.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There are a few good games for VR right now without teleportation, namely Superhot VR, I expect you to die, Climbey, The Climb, Onward, Out of Ammo (which is mediocre imho) and a plethora of cockpit-based sim games. I just can't wait for Resident Evil 7 as the demo is the best thing in VR right now.

Will the PC demo have VR support? I was under the impression RE7 VR was just for PSVR at first and maybe coming to other platforms later.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So what would people recommend while I wait to get a Touch? Anything eye-popping is good, emphasis on detail and scope

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

House of the Dying Sun is a legit great game, VR or no (but especially VR). It's kind of short, though, and I highly recommend playing on hard (Harbinger), partially because of that and partially because I think it's just a much better game when you're not snoozing through missions on easy.

It's quite replayable if you end up really digging it, I've wiped my save and whipped through the campaign again in one ~2-hour sitting multiple times (you can replay individual missions at any time after you've beat them, I just liked going through the unlock progression), and there's also a daily challenge mode and special 4th difficulty mode after you beat the game.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Basic Chunnel posted:

So what would people recommend while I wait to get a Touch? Anything eye-popping is good, emphasis on detail and scope

Pre-Touch, I really enjoyed:

Chronos: Third person adventure game, Dark Souls-lite combat.
Darknet: Hacking puzzle game. Not as flashy as some games but a good sense of space and is something you can play for a good long while because it has unlockables and increasing difficulty, etc.
Minecraft: If you like minecraft at all, the Oculus implementation is very good (although no mods).
Pinball FX VR: Pinball in VR is cool.
Farlands: It's free and you can play with cute critters.
Technolust: Cool little adventure game
Subnautica: Still in early access, but a very well done underwater building/exploration/survival game. VR can be a little buggy.

Also see my post about New Retro Arcade here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777359&pagenumber=58&perpage=40#post463134193 - that one isn't for everyone but if you like retro games and tinkering a lot with setting stuff up you may dig it. It has Touch support now but is just as playable without it.

(edit): Elite: Dangerous has pretty great VR implementation too, but I don't know if I'd recommend that game to anyone who isn't already in it.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 18, 2016

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

The controller game I'm currently playing is Sublevel Zero and I like it quite a bit. Its Descent recontextualized into a roguelike, and it looks amazing in VR.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Republicans posted:

Will the PC demo have VR support? I was under the impression RE7 VR was just for PSVR at first and maybe coming to other platforms later.

Nobody knows, they've kept very quiet about it or if they have, nobody's bothered to translate it at least to the best of my knowledge. It's amazing that such a big budget game has full VR support and it doesn't feel rushed. So many comfort options that can all be turned off. I did and had no issues.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It didn't always have those options, there were severe comfort issues with the first public demo before they realized it was important.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Not even that, the original demo had Y axis camera control also, which is insane for a VR game. It made people incredibly sick.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I wish it had Y axis controls and actual animations since that stuff really does not affect me, but they must've put in those options quite quickly.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Doom 3 BFG tripped my cheapshark alert at $6.59 (http://www.cheapshark.com/search?q=DOOM%203%20BFG%20Edition - it gave me a Steam key) if anyone's interested, which also brings up a couple questions if anyone's checked it out with VR lately. I saw two different vr mods posted here a ways back - is there a current "best" one? Anyone have a preferred set of easy-ish instructions? The first google results seem pretty straightforward but then the comments and all start linking to other posts saying to install the high def mod too, and make adjustments to the walk/run speed and laser sight thickness, and how to get the commands to stick (not just autoexec.cfg?)..I'm OK with some setup and fuckery but don't want to go down a rabbit whole for 3 hours if I don't have to.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 18, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

teh_Broseph posted:

Doom 3 BFG tripped my cheapshark alert at $6.59 (http://www.cheapshark.com/search?q=DOOM%203%20BFG%20Edition - it gave me a Steam key) if anyone's interested, which also brings up a couple questions if anyone's checked it out with VR lately. I saw two different vr mods posted here a ways back - is there a current "best" one? Anyone have a preferred set of easy-ish instructions? The first google results seem pretty straightforward but then the comments and all start linking to other posts saying to install the high def mod too, and make adjustments to the walk/run speed and laser sight thickness, and how to get the commands to stick (not just autoexec.cfg?)..I'm OK with some setup and fuckery but don't want to go down a rabbit whole for 3 hours if I don't have to.

Someone posted a very in-depth Oculus + Touch mod setup a few days ago; yo ucan launch the game right from Oculus Home, and it has some neat stuff like snap turning, and you can point with your finger in-game and poke the menus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJNt6LJFGsI

Here's a text guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5hww0r/doom_3_bfg_vr_oculus_touch_guide/

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm streaming some Unspoken if anybody is bored enough to watch http://www.twitch.tv/pvtlemming

And by "Unspoken" I mean "the matchmaking screen which inevitably tells me it can't find a match every 4 minutes"

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

StarkRavingMad posted:

Also see my post about New Retro Arcade here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777359&pagenumber=58&perpage=40#post463134193 - that one isn't for everyone but if you like retro games and tinkering a lot with setting stuff up you may dig it. It has Touch support now but is just as playable without it.

I'm really looking forward to trying this one. Unfortunately, my i5-2500 is probably too weak to run it acceptably, but I may pick it up anyway if it goes on Steam sale and just bide my time till the details on AMD's new chip get sorted out.

Speaking of, I know this has been asked before, but with the year-end Steam sale looming I guess I'll ask again - is there any reason to buy a game from the Oculus store if it's available on Steam? I'm thinking of Job Simulator and Space Pirate Trainer in particular. Obviously, if Steam has a better deal, I'd opt to get them on there (in addition to being able to seamlessly use them with another brand of HMD down the road).

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 19, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

I'm really looking forward to trying this one. Unfortunately, my i5-2500 is probably too weak to run it acceptably, but I may pick it up anyway if it goes on Steam sale and just bide my time till the details on AMD's new chip get sorted out.

Speaking of, I know this has been asked before, but with the year-end Steam sale looming I guess I'll ask again - is there any reason to buy a game from the Oculus store if it's available on Steam? I'm thinking of Job Simulator and Space Pirate Trainer in particular. Obviously, if Steam has a better deal, I'd opt to get them on there (in addition to being able to seamlessly use them with another brand of HMD down the road).

If you want the game on steam I don't think there's any particular advantage to buying it on Home instead, since it generally uses the Oculus runtime anyway. I rebought Space Pirate Trainer on Home because I wanted to give them more money.

That aside, is anybody having trouble with Oculus matchmaking right now? Unspoken kicks me out as soon as I try to join, and Dead and Buried tries to join a game then tells me it can't connect and to try again later.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Someone posted a very in-depth Oculus + Touch mod setup a few days ago; yo ucan launch the game right from Oculus Home, and it has some neat stuff like snap turning, and you can point with your finger in-game and poke the menus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJNt6LJFGsI

Here's a text guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5hww0r/doom_3_bfg_vr_oculus_touch_guide/

Perfect, thanks! Got it up and running and hot drat I think I'm finally going to play Doom 3. Feeling a little woozy, but should be better next time now that I realized the left stick also does left/right movement. That first minute when the demons show up gyahhhh straight jump scared my feet off the ground.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Not really. I find the Oculus front end to be a little more convenient and sometimes Steam VR does some wonky things for me like not releasing properly after I quit a game. And I think there's a few (very small amount) of games that may run slightly worse in the Steam version because they aren't running in true Oculus mode or something like that. But for the most part they are basically equivalent, use whichever front end you prefer.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Lemming posted:

If you want the game on steam I don't think there's any particular advantage to buying it on Home instead, since it generally uses the Oculus runtime anyway. I rebought Space Pirate Trainer on Home because I wanted to give them more money.

That aside, is anybody having trouble with Oculus matchmaking right now? Unspoken kicks me out as soon as I try to join, and Dead and Buried tries to join a game then tells me it can't connect and to try again later.

I can't check right now, but a bunch of people on reddit were having issues with the Oculus servers a couple days ago.

edit: Actually, yeah, it looks like the "Oculus Platform Service" is down, as of an hour ago.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 19, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If you buy the game from the Oculus storefront, you can always easily launch it from inside the Rift instead of having to take the headset off, pull up Steam, find it in your library (while Touch controllers are dangling off your wrists). That's actually pretty convenient.

On the other hand, it might be cheaper on Steam. I bought Arizona Sunshine for like 8 bucks cheaper due to a Steam sale.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Steam also gives you the opportunity to refund it if it doesn't work/sucks.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I got my Oculus Touch and oh my god, this is a totally amazing experience. Onward is a crazy rear end experience and Google Earth VR is the biggest nostalgia trip looking up all the happy moments in your life.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://streamable.com/ymwu3

https://streamable.com/fos1l

Please send testers.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Yeah, I knew going in that the PC setups we've got now are just pit stops on the way to the Promised Land of self-contained systems. I guess I wasn't expecting things to move as quickly as they are.

Won't PC headsets always have a niche market for those who want games with better graphics or want to play with something experimental?

As a PC gamer I am not too keen on a locked down self contained headset that I can't easily run experimental stuff on or use with Unity.

I am loving my Vive, and I hope to see more games released for it and the Oculus since I can always use Revive. I would also like there to be 2nd and 3rd generation VR headsets available for the PC as well.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 19, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
gently caress, I just about threw my arm out of joint playing Ripcoil last night. It still hurts today. I need to chill the hell out a little when I am throwing nothing as hard as I can.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

iceaim posted:

Won't PC headsets always have a niche market for those who want games with better graphics or want to play with something experimental?

As a PC gamer I am not too keen on a locked down self contained headset that I can't easily run experimental stuff on or use with Unity.

I am loving my Vive, and I hope to see more games release for it and the Oculus since I can always use Revive. I would also like there to be 2nd and 3rd generation VR headsets available for the PC as well.

Abrash at least was confident that PC will always be the go-to for the premium experience.

My take is that VR headsets will probably merge to become something where you take a 4K/8K smartphone, put it into a super-GearVR headset with great optics, FOV, eye tracking, and inside-out tracking for itself and the hand controllers. Finally you can either run apps standalone from the phone, or stream them with sub-millisecond latency from the PC.

That seems like it would be the endgame.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
When they sort out the overheating issues with gearVR yeah.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

StarkRavingMad posted:

gently caress, I just about threw my arm out of joint playing Ripcoil last night. It still hurts today. I need to chill the hell out a little when I am throwing nothing as hard as I can.

Yeah take it easy on that and go for accuracy, pretty dang sure the speed is locked regardless of physical movement. (Speed increases every few consecutive throws and there's a pop up message for it.)

Between Racket NX and Rec Room dodge ball though, I'm pretty sure one is to blame for a couple mysteriously scraped up knuckles I have.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Republicans posted:

All VR is exclusive to PSVR for a year, then maybe for other things. Of course better VR experiences will be out in a year which means that RE7 VR won't be worth a purchase that far out. Oh well. Good for Sony, but means if you didn't get a PSVR the game isn't worth a purchase.

Capcom just saved me 60 bucks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Falken posted:

When they sort out the overheating issues with gearVR yeah.

Well, that's the beauty, streaming a remote PC takes pretty much no energy at all compared to running the game from the phone. In a few more generations the cell phone GPUs should be sufficiently die-shrunk to not overheat when running games from the phone, and streaming games from the PC even now (for instance, you can play a game with the android app Limelight which is just receiving the H.264 feed from your PC) works great and doesn't kill the battery.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Bremen posted:

Overall, I have high hopes for the first wireless prototype but am still waiting on early reviews before I order one.

On this note, UploadVR just got a chance to play around with a prototype of the Typecast Wireless Vive. They were, to put it mildly, quite impressed; they didn't notice any line of sight or latency issues but did see occasional and momentary compression artifacts.

Also, they have an awesome video of a tester doing a backflip during a swordfight

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bremen posted:

On this note, UploadVR just got a chance to play around with a prototype of the Typecast Wireless Vive. They were, to put it mildly, quite impressed; they didn't notice any line of sight or latency issues but did see occasional and momentary compression artifacts.

Also, they have an awesome video of a tester doing a backflip during a swordfight

That's pretty badass, getting rid of the wires would be a pretty big deal

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bremen posted:

This seems very promising, if it's this good i'm going to pick it up asap.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Crosposing from the vive thread: http://store.steampowered.com/app/552450/

Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter. The full thing. With several locomotion options: ye olde teleport, gamepad movement on your touch controller and also "serious warp", whatever that means. I'm so hype right now

Also, apparently, discount for people who already own first encounter HD and/or the other serious sam VR game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter. The full thing. With several locomotion options: ye olde teleport, gamepad movement on your touch controller and also "serious warp", whatever that means. I'm so hype right now

Also, apparently, discount for people who already own first encounter HD and/or the other serious sam VR game.

yea if it has actual locomotion other than teleport Im def gonna have to buy that

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Truga posted:

This looks coooool. If the pricing isn't crazy, I'm totally in on it.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
As someone who doesn't get motion sickness, I hope it does well so other companies won't be afraid to port some of their older games with VR optimizations, leaving in traditional locomotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Neat. I don't mind teleportation but willing to try some other types of locomotion. Onward has been okay for me.

Also I actually like Climbey's arm swinging thing.