Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

And of course you should always put on the music you're actually going to be listening to ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T04QFKnBIiM

I'm not normally into screamy-metal, but holy poo poo this rules. Going to have to pick up something by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Their latest album "Terminal Redux" is probably my favorite album of the year.

The world needs more progressive thrash metal sci-fi concept albums.

E: They were on tour in November with another band called Black Fast, who also play modern thrash. A bit more straight forward, less prog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBNc7kU_cmw

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 16, 2016

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

qirex posted:

Let's be audiophiles instead of ridiculing them for a minute; share some of your speaker shopping/calibration tracks. [warning: much '90s music ahead]

• Orbital - The Box (long): this is my kitchen sink song, it has everything: male vocals, female vocals, pads, sharp analog synth, big distorted bass synths, piano, harpsichord and it switches between from totally overloaded wall of sound to very quiet bits. I've listened to it a million times so I know what I want it to sound like. Only problem is having to skip around since it's 26 minutes. Maybe I should do an edit just for testing.
  • Renegade Soundwave - Renegade Soundwave (Leftfield remix): good for checking out "musical bass" and for setting up sub crossover points
  • Handsome Boy Modeling School - The Truth: Good for pointing out boominess because the bass will squash everything on bad speakers also calms down sales people because it sounds like music they've heard before, at least until the rapping begins
  • Dillinja - Nasty Ways (shy FX): the track has an utter shitload of bass but the heavily processed snares and high hats are what I'm listening for, they get hot/sibilant easily, can cause major stinkface in retail associates
  • Electroliners - Loose Caboose: Good for imaging because it does tons of stereo panning
Overall I guess I picked out tracks I've heard sound wrong on systems I didn't like.

Some of my standards:

Transformers OST - Arrival to Earth
AC/DC - Big Gun, Shoot to Thrill
Madrugada - The Kids are on High Street
Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall Pt2.
Chris Cornell - You know my name
Jan Hammer - Crocketts Theme
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing
Sia - Chandelier
Daft Punk - End of Line, Get Lucky

Most are very demanding overproduced tracks, or tracks with lots of dynamic range. Compression or bad equipment will make them sound muddled and make the instruments mesh with each other into just noise, while good recordings and equipment will separate instruments from each other and from the vocals, and let you hear much more detail.

That's probably the most audiophile thing I've ever written.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

KozmoNaut posted:

This little thing (off of something better than Youtube, obviously).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QMiCBJ7yRM

Awesome bass track. Most tracks by Röyksopp or Trentemøller also qualify.
James Blake has acres of bass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOT2-OTebx0

Also echoing Vektor.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Vektor love is throwing me a bit to be honest. Sounds like one of a thousand bands between 2005 and 2008, but with pitchier DM shrieks rather than the normal growls. Not that it's bad, just it doesn't really stand out to me personally.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

You're probably one of about 3 people interested in a single php site thing I built a few years. All it does is randomizes slice orders of the Amen break and plays it in the browser. Kinda useless, but every so often it comes up with a gem. http://crucialweb.net/amen
This is great, by the way.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Vektor love is throwing me a bit to be honest. Sounds like one of a thousand bands between 2005 and 2008, but with pitchier DM shrieks rather than the normal growls. Not that it's bad, just it doesn't really stand out to me personally.

It's wonderfully technical while still staying true to old-school thrashy speed and aggression, plus the production is just spot on. I love the bass in particular, it goes through so clearly in the mix.

It's everything good about modern thrash metal, in one band. Other bands have similar elements, but they don't have all of them at the same time.

And it's sci-fi progressive thrash metal, perfect nerd-fodder.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

EL BROMANCE posted:

You're probably one of about 3 people interested in a single php site thing I built a few years. All it does is randomizes slice orders of the Amen break and plays it in the browser. Kinda useless, but every so often it comes up with a gem. http://crucialweb.net/amen

Well cool! :slick:

Something similar, yet different: http://techno-is-the-word.appspot.com/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, that's pretty neat too!

I built a variant at the same time for the Amen thing where rather than just randomly rearrange the slice order, it'll try and progress from 1-30 but with some randomisations so you might get 1,2,2,3,2,4,5,3,5,3,6 etc which builds quite a different sounding break again. http://crucialweb.net/amen2

I had a few more ideas for variants and always meant to put it in a prettier package (it's literally a single, 50 line php file as it stands) with a waveform and everything but I never got around to it.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's wonderfully technical while still staying true to old-school thrashy speed and aggression, plus the production is just spot on. I love the bass in particular, it goes through so clearly in the mix.

It's everything good about modern thrash metal, in one band. Other bands have similar elements, but they don't have all of them at the same time.

I'll give a full album a shot, maybe it'll stand out more for me than an individual track did.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

"Sci-fi" and "nerd-fodder" refer to the lyrics, I assume, which means someone can actually understand the words that dude is tearing out of his shattered larynx? Huh.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ColdPie posted:

"Sci-fi" and "nerd-fodder" refer to the lyrics, I assume, which means someone can actually understand the words that dude is tearing out of his shattered larynx? Huh.

"Life is liquid when we're young
We paint with the colors of the sun
Time solidifies in our brains
And we paint with shades of grey"

Yeah, but I'm used to listening to metal lyrics (and it's perfectly OK to read along as you listen).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

'New' audio format? :v:

http://wogew.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/mqs-sd-newest-physical-music-format.html?m=1

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Glad I am not the only one who was spurgy-annoyed about that.

Also, micro-Sd is barely a physical format: breath in too hard and you could accidentally inhale it.

I thought there was a lot of potential for gimmicky physical digital media, shame it never really took off

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Those idiots are just re-hashing content from Techmoan's latest video which was about MQS SD and posted 2 days prior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbGDPFVjvVU

Of course Mr. Techmoan treats it as exactly what it is, a curious novelty and nothing else.

Edit: he even mentioned the Beatles limited edition USB drive release as shown in the above post!

Edit2: just noticed that the original video was linked in that garbage blog post but whoever made the post obviously didn't watch it!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 19, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I really like the packaging design they chose for it. And let's face it, that's all anyone really cares about when it comes to buying physical media these days. It's nice that the actual music content is plain unprotected FLAC though, so it's also pretty versatile.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Uhhh...

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/28/samsung-32-bit-speakers/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

35hz? Yeah at -25db... :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The article mentions upscaling from 8 bit audio inputs - where would you even find that in anything recent?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

35hz? Yeah at -25db... :v:
Maybe it has a rumble function, like game controllers.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

fishmech posted:

The article mentions upscaling from 8 bit audio inputs - where would you even find that in anything recent?

I think it means just taking the left channel of a cd player.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
8-24 bit, the 32bit upscale has still the same lovely resolution as the input. What is Samsung thinking?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Combat Pretzel posted:

8-24 bit, the 32bit upscale has still the same lovely resolution as the input. What is Samsung thinking?

Samsung is thinking that they can sell this to people that buy expensive USB cables, power cables thicker than my dick, and judge DACs based on how airy they sound.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

They saw Sony touch the poop, why not do it too?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

"If we release a product with a bigger number in the specs than our competitors have, people will give us money for it."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

metallicaeg posted:

Samsung is thinking that they can sell this to people that buy expensive USB cables, power cables thicker than my dick, and judge DACs based on how airy they sound.

So, like, regular power cables?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

grack posted:

So, like, regular power cables?

:perfect:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I'm about to upgrade my B&W 683 to 804D S2. Someone convince me this is stupid and the money is better used elsewhere.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Hob_Gadling posted:

I'm about to upgrade my B&W 683 to 804D S2. Someone convince me this is stupid and the money is better used elsewhere.

It's too late. You have already thought the thought.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

More audiophile claptrap.

https://mutemandeafcat.wordpress.com/2016/12/31/a-snippet-of-what-t-bone-meant-about-mp3s/

Apparently MP3 are naught but "postcards" of the true analog experience.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
So I'm looking for new speakers. Can't decide between Ascend Sierra 2 or "New Philharmonitors"

Please send help.

Will probably buy used to save some dough.

Any other bookshelf suggestions in the price range of $1k to $1.5k? Trying to avoid towers as they're a pain to sell and I'm constantly changing my poo poo.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Used KEF LS50s usually clock in around a grand.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/01/lg-sj9-4k-speaker/

A 4k soundbar, you say?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

4k khz.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahahahahahaha

quote:

Curiously, as part of its 4K Sound package, the SJ9 can also upsample "standard audio files" to high-def 24-bit/192kHz audio, "sharpening the subtle details and nuances of each track." The press release doesn't clarify how the SJ9 extracts (creates?) more detail from a digital audio file.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Probably has licensed X-Fi technology! Wow!

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

They're using the same technology you see used on CSI to enhance license plates.
Something-something Fourier domain analysis.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

Probably has licensed X-Fi technology! Wow!
LG are like little babies, watch this

quote:

AfterMaster is pleased to introduce its first proprietary (patents pending) consumer hardware product, the AfterMaster Pro™. AfterMaster exclusively developed the one-of-a-kind personal audio re-mastering device and created a completely new product category in the consumer electronics industry.

The AfterMaster Pro was developed to allow consumers to have convenient access to AfterMaster’s award winning and unparalleled sound from virtually all audio/video sources. The AfterMaster Pro transforms television audio by raising and clarifying dialogue levels, while making all surrounding audio sound substantially better. It connects easily via HDMI to virtually any audio/video source (cable box, satellite box, video game station, etc.). It’s also equipped with an internal rechargeable battery and 3.5mm audio ports so it can be used on-the-go with a smart phone, tablet, computer, headphone or any other audio enabled device.
There's even audio samples!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

qirex posted:

LG are like little babies, watch this

There's even audio samples!
Wow, sounds worse in every case, even on my tablet's speakers.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
WTF is this? A breakout LOUDNESS button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

More like a compressor with a built in EQ curve.