Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Feonir posted:

First time in this raid, how bad could I possibly d-...oh...oh god. (that was the second tank).

http://i.imgur.com/eNOOwRW.mp4

i genuinely don't understand how people can derive enjoyment from games that combine the UI simplicity of the International Space Station with the graphical prowess of the playstation 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i genuinely don't understand how people can derive enjoyment from games that combine the UI simplicity of the International Space Station with the graphical prowess of the playstation 2

Dwarf fortress
Space Station 13.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Sometimes a game is just fun to play.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Magypsy posted:

What did localisation break in DS? I remember buying that as my first MR after reading a bunch of LPs here, but I found d it really hard to get into.

Every breed of monster had a special /??? breed summoned by drawing a specific japanese character and most, if not all of them, would hard lock the game if you did it because the game just did not know what to do. The only conclusion people seemed to draw was that it had something to do with the removal of JP characters from the text input field. You could get them randomly with words, but finding out the right mix and match of letters to get one was a complete crapshoot. Also several rare monsters were flat out removed, but that's just par for the course in monster rancher really.

DS Tried really hard to be like 2 but it fell flat, if you want to try getting into the series again I'd really suggest trying 2. Even if you can't get the disc swapping to work.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

frodnonnag posted:

Dwarf fortress
Space Station 13.

Whenever I see dwarf fortress I like to think of this image.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i, too, like to think of images

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Just remembering the missions in Perfect Dark and how when you selected a higher difficulty, it wasn't just that the enemies got more lethal and you had more things to accomplish. In one of the missions, on normal difficulty you were high on a cliff overlooking a pier with a sniper rifle and you had to take out some enemies before they killed an NPC, and could take out most of the rooftop guards while you were up there.

For the hardest difficulty? You WERE that NPC, and you were supposed to use a laptop-turned-gun to gun them down and clear the whole place by yourself.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

90% of that UI is addons that the player installed to get more information more readily at the cost of clutter

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

Just remembering the missions in Perfect Dark and how when you selected a higher difficulty, it wasn't just that the enemies got more lethal and you had more things to accomplish. In one of the missions, on normal difficulty you were high on a cliff overlooking a pier with a sniper rifle and you had to take out some enemies before they killed an NPC, and could take out most of the rooftop guards while you were up there.

For the hardest difficulty? You WERE that NPC, and you were supposed to use a laptop-turned-gun to gun them down and clear the whole place by yourself.
I don't understand why Goldeneye, Perfect Dark then Timesplitters 2-3 did this so perfectly and got it down to a fine art, and then it just disappeared. In Timesplitters 2 the Hard levels were like twice as long with totally new areas, enemies, bosses and events, like an Indiana Jones temple in the jungle level and an evil underground lab leading to a zombie outbreak and a helicopter boss fight in the dam level

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't understand why Goldeneye, Perfect Dark then Timesplitters 2-3 did this so perfectly and got it down to a fine art, and then it just disappeared. In Timesplitters 2 the Hard levels were like twice as long with totally new areas, enemies, bosses and events, like an Indiana Jones temple in the jungle level and an evil underground lab leading to a zombie outbreak and a helicopter boss fight in the dam level

Games got more complex, meaning implementing content that players likely might not see became less and less justifiable to spend development time and money on.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

flatluigi posted:

90% of that UI is addons that the player installed to get more information more readily at the cost of clutter

I do not run any mods, that is bog standard UI in The Secret World.

Really I just put that there because dude going flying off platform is a hilarious animation and I love it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean I'm digging the card system for sidequest items, it gives a certain flair to the fetch quests because it's not isolated to an item menu - it is shared with the rest of the Magna so if you want to complete the collection you do need to have had at least one of every item. It gives a good rationalisation to buy poo poo that you'd otherwise never use, or to bother with sidequests for the same reason - if you don't complete the Star Map that's 50 cards that will elude you, and each of those gives you prizes that (some of which) may be unique, or will give you an advantage that you didn't have before. It also gives a good reason to photograph every enemy or boss you see.

I do have one beef though which is that it seems impossible to control the cards you are dealt - sometimes you'll get a crap hand, like on a turn where a boss is attacking you'll get 3 sword cards and a small round shield in the rotation and the boss will get 5 hits so you can only deflect one of them. The only real way to prepare seems to be to already know everything's weakness beforehand, like for the boss at the spring at the beginning I had a bunch of water cards to attack with as I didn't know to remove them as he was strong to that element, so they kept invading my hands.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Twitch posted:

Also when you finally get all the recipes and ingredients to make a full-sized submarine, you can decorate the inside just like it's a base.
You can also build a power cell charger in your sub that charges the power cells faster than your sub drains them, giving you infinite energy :allears:

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Goldeneye and Perfect Dark had the best cheat codes too. The "All Weapons" cheat usually allowed you to access some guns that never appear in the game too. There was a taser that looked like a Gameboy in Goldeneye, and 10-year-old me thought tasing dudes in the balls was the funniest thing. It was especially great because the guards would actually double over if you shot them in the dick. The post-mission stat screen would track your body, limb, head, and "other" shots too.

Every time someone brings up those games in this thread, I think of a whole bunch of little things I love about those games.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Perfect Dark's cyberpunk tools were strangely prescient, your tools include a drone, a gun disguised as a laptop and a gun you can use as an IED.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
When I'm a billionaire I'm gonna pay the goldeneye to perfect dark era Rare employees whatever it takes to get back together and pretend it's 1999 again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jojoinnit posted:

When I'm a billionaire I'm gonna pay the goldeneye to perfect dark era Rare employees whatever it takes to get back together and pretend it's 1999 again.

Just pay into the Yooka-Laylee kickstarter like everyone else did :yayclod:.

No, seriously.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just pay into the Yooka-Laylee kickstarter like everyone else did :yayclod:.

No, seriously.

That's like an aspirin to the morphine dose I'm craving.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

BioEnchanted posted:

Of the games that I've beaten I think my favourite plot is Fantasy Life on the 3DS because it's so drat optimistic - there are literally no villains - every time it looks like someone is being shady is just a misunderstanding, like the war that's threatening to break out between the Kingdom of Light where you start and the Kingdom of Darkness that is the last hub you visit. The Dark King was imprisoned by the light king in a statue as retaliation for turning the light king into a child - but when you finally confront him He was just playing a game with the light king - a slowly escalating magical prank war that just got out of hand. As soon as he hears that his subjects are threatening to overreact he sends a letter off to the light kingdom to call off the prank war because thing have almost gotten really messy because of it. Then he just chills out with his wife as they are nothing but supportive of their son becoming the new Dark Lord and opening the kingdom up more because unlike the previous king he actually has friends to hang out with, and wants to make more. Then when confronting God to ask him to spare the world as it is ending He immediately starts working to figure out how to save it because you have enough of the plot resource for him to do something about it, and his daughters have become fond of it. It's just the most :3: plot.

That game is so aggressively cheerful and I love it. I think I put 150+ hours into it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way - question about Baten Kaitos (The first one with the long subtitle, not Origins). Do the enemy/boss cards do anything to need me to save them or can I just sell them after the photos develop? I've sold the enemy cards for the trash mobs but I just want to know if I'll be screwing myself out of something later if I sell cards from unique enemies.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

well why not posted:

Perfect Dark's cyberpunk tools were strangely prescient, your tools include a drone, a gun disguised as a laptop and a gun you can use as an IED.

Not exactly an improvised explosive device if it's an intended function of the gun. ;)

Also gotta love the Cyclone's weird auto-fed magazines.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

The "Go! Go! Go!" bark in BF1 becomes a goofy whistle when you're the squad leader, which is fun to spam behind lovely scouts on my team.

Also the fact that you are auto promoted to squad lead if your current leader doesn't place an order on anything for a while.

It's also not a little thing, but Trico's AI in The Last Guardian is very endearing. Reminds me of my old childhood dog sometimes when he just swings his big head all over the place and plays in water. It's good that Trico is adorable because the kid's controls bug the hell out of me at times.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Decided to replay Buu's Fury on a whim and man is it super good. The animation for smacking into a wall while running turns an annoyance into something wonderful and the weighted training clothes are a really nice feature from both a goofy universe and gameplay perspective. Gohan sets off to school after strapping two tons of weights to his arms and legs to help with the learnin'

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way - question about Baten Kaitos (The first one with the long subtitle, not Origins). Do the enemy/boss cards do anything to need me to save them or can I just sell them after the photos develop? I've sold the enemy cards for the trash mobs but I just want to know if I'll be screwing myself out of something later if I sell cards from unique enemies.

They're one of your main sources of money.

Also I love Baten Kaitos but trust me: do not give any shits about going for anything near full completion as the game's covered in easily missable things with little to no reward for actually maxing out everything. Enjoy the ride, don't worry too much on missing out on things.

A little thing I do enjoy: because full 100% completion of the game requires aging items + because items age in real time, the current fastest 100% speedrun of the game is 342 hours 19 minutes and 56 seconds long. The guy was even banned from twitch partway through his last attempt because of rules against streaming while idle (you need to have something happening/someone doing something on-stream frequently)

(a regular run is 13 and a half hours)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

flatluigi posted:

They're one of your main sources of money.

Also I love Baten Kaitos but trust me: do not give any shits about going for anything near full completion as the game's covered in easily missable things with little to no reward for actually maxing out everything. Enjoy the ride, don't worry too much on missing out on things.

A little thing I do enjoy: because full 100% completion of the game requires aging items + because items age in real time, the current fastest 100% speedrun of the game is 342 hours 19 minutes and 56 seconds long. The guy was even banned from twitch partway through his last attempt because of rules against streaming while idle (you need to have something happening/someone doing something on-stream frequently)

(a regular run is 13 and a half hours)

Thanks for the advice - I was more making sure I wouldn't miss any important sidequest stuff like Constellations and things like that.

Also I'm kinda getting the hang of the card battle thing. I initially lost to the Rainbow Spider (after discovering selfies but I can retake that - I wanted the boss photo.) but then it let me rearrange my deck and replace all my water poo poo with fire poo poo. Also I got lucky and got a shitton of "Guardian finishing Moves" going all at once that just wiped the boss - still have no idea why that happened.

On DBZ games: I played on on a snes emulator that was hilarious because it was an RPG with a card battling system, that was only partially translated. The power of the cards was denoted by 8 levels, one for each dragonball and then a bonus Z power that acted as Ace (both 0 and 8). The funny part was that it adhered perfectly to the anime in the funniest ways - first of all, grinding to level up to beat the bosses made sense because that's exactly what they do in the series - they see an enemy with higher numbers then 'train' for a million hours till they can curb-stomp them. Also each character has both a 1-99 character level and a Power Level as well. When fighting Vegeta it is scripted - you fight to no avail at first, then you get to use Kaiyokenx3 - your base powerlevel is 3001. You're boosted powerlevel is - as the meme dictates - just over 9000 and at that point you start doing real damage! :3: The Versimilitude is amazing.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 07:41 on Dec 20, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013
DBZ RPGs are always kind of weird because you have these characters that've beaten the big bad of the last arc but you have to have normal enemies that can pose a threat to them or you're not really going to have combat. There winds up being random bandits and wildlife that can kill a Goku who's stronger than when he fought Cell, Freeza wouldn't have stood a chance if he'd tried to actually conquer the planet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the episode with Marill (Krillin's girlfriend until he ended it) first showing up and calling Chichi old - she gets so mad she gets an aura and a visible power level.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

BioEnchanted posted:

Thanks for the advice - I was more making sure I wouldn't miss any important sidequest stuff like Constellations and things like that.

Also I'm kinda getting the hang of the card battle thing. I initially lost to the Rainbow Spider (after discovering selfies but I can retake that - I wanted the boss photo.) but then it let me rearrange my deck and replace all my water poo poo with fire poo poo. Also I got lucky and got a shitton of "Guardian finishing Moves" going all at once that just wiped the boss - still have no idea why that happened.

On DBZ games: I played on on a snes emulator that was hilarious because it was an RPG with a card battling system, that was only partially translated. The power of the cards was denoted by 8 levels, one for each dragonball and then a bonus Z power that acted as Ace (both 0 and 8). The funny part was that it adhered perfectly to the anime in the funniest ways - first of all, grinding to level up to beat the bosses made sense because that's exactly what they do in the series - they see an enemy with higher numbers then 'train' for a million hours till they can curb-stomp them. Also each character has both a 1-99 character level and a Power Level as well. When fighting Vegeta it is scripted - you fight to no avail at first, then you get to use Kaiyokenx3 - your base powerlevel is 3001. You're boosted powerlevel is - as the meme dictates - just over 9000 and at that point you start doing real damage! :3: The Versimilitude is amazing.

I remember that game, my favorite thing about it was that you weren't railroaded by the shows canon, if you kept the whole crew alive during the fight with Vegeta and Nappa, you could bring them all to Namek.

You could even get to the point where the whole crew was around all the way through the Freeza fight. And I think you could even finish him without becoming Super Sayian if you kept Krillin alive, but I'm not sure about that one. It's been forever since I played that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Technical Analysis posted:

I remember that game, my favorite thing about it was that you weren't railroaded by the shows canon, if you kept the whole crew alive during the fight with Vegeta and Nappa, you could bring them all to Namek.

You could even get to the point where the whole crew was around all the way through the Freeza fight. And I think you could even finish him without becoming Super Sayian if you kept Krillin alive, but I'm not sure about that one. It's been forever since I played that.

it's not just krillin - anyone dies in that final fight and goku goes super

then you get the secret fight against vegeta who gets mad as hell you hit ssj first and goes super himself

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I played a PS2 DBZ fighting game that'd let you switch characters instead of dying or when they got really low on health if you were playing through the story campaigns and they'd lost the fight in canon. You'd take a ton of damage from hits and not do very much yourself, but if you were good or lucky enough to beat the enemy with one of the characters that had lost/died to them they'd get a unique win quote. It didn't change anything else but it was a nice little touch.

I also liked that, with one exception, it never made you play the losing side. If it was a fight the villains won you'd just play as the villain, you'd never have to win a fight only for the next cutscene to go 'well actually'

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BTW I love how hosed up the early part of the family tree sidequest in Baten Kaitos is. One of the bracelet family is a little girl who wants to see a ~bluebird of happiness~ as she never got the chance - you resolve it by giving her the corpse of said Bluebird. That's kinda hosed. I want that sidequest to escalate - she asks for a kitten and wakes up to find a dead cat nailed to her bedroom door. Asks for a pony only to wake up with a horse head in her bed. Eventually she asks for a hosed up angel/demon thing and you lug the final boss to her house after killing it. (Haven't actually seen the final boss yet, making a joke based on the usual fare).

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Sometimes a game is just fun to play.

Ikr, manning the ISS sounds like the coolest poo poo

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So the Survival DLC for the Division dropped today, on PS4 at least, and for all the fantastic new stuff in there it has one feature I love and hate in equal measure. 24 players are instanced into the same version of New York City, and as the name of the DLC implies you're fighting to survive with thirst, hunger and infection meters - along with the usual assortment of roaming enemies with guns and melee weapons. What's fun about this is every time a player is killed, it's announced to the entire instance.

23 players remain.

21 players remain.

17 players remain.

etc, etc. It's loud, it's impossible to miss and adds an hilarious level of dread to things as you become dimly aware of how many of you have dropped.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

poptart_fairy posted:

So the Survival DLC for the Division dropped today, on PS4 at least, and for all the fantastic new stuff in there it has one feature I love and hate in equal measure. 24 players are instanced into the same version of New York City, and as the name of the DLC implies you're fighting to survive with thirst, hunger and infection meters - along with the usual assortment of roaming enemies with guns and melee weapons. What's fun about this is every time a player is killed, it's announced to the entire instance.

23 players remain.

21 players remain.

17 players remain.

etc, etc. It's loud, it's impossible to miss and adds an hilarious level of dread to things as you become dimly aware of how many of you have dropped.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

23 players remain.

21 players remain.

17 players remain.

That sounds pretty awesome actually.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's especially great because the sound of gunfire and explosions travels a huge distance, so seeing that message pop up during it... :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just fixed my decks in Baten Kaitos and now those Dog Recolor things in the second island that were annoying me have become... manageable. The poison is still annoying so I'll throw a few more of those restoration items in but I feel I'm getting the hang of things. I think with the "Family Tree" sidequest my favourite one was the girl in the kitchen in the Manor on the first island - you solve her problem and she's like "Great!" but when you present the family tree her response is "I see my grandpa every other day, isn't it a bit much to sign a family tree and drop everything to run home to him? Fine I'll sign, I'll go see him when I get off work OK?" It's just so wonderfully mundane. Also finally getting around to taking selfies of my party :3:

Edit: Also seeing the family tree and constellation chart fill in is really scratching an itch. I love the kinds of collectibles where you slowly see them being put in their proper place. Finding all the books in a game for an achievement is one thing but it's more satisfying for me to see them filling an ingame library somewhere. It makes me feel like I'm doing something concrete, like an actual achievement. Banjo Kazooie is fine, but collecting Jiggies isn't as satisfying to me because unlike nebulous stars and bananas in other games Jigsaw pieces gives an implicit promise of a larger puzzle to assemble, and while the game tries to do that with the world portals something about them just feels a little too generic. It's less like I'm finding something concrete and more like I've just got enough stars to open a door in Mario - it's not a collectible to me, it's currency.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Dec 20, 2016

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

One of my favourite little things in Twilight Princess is that Nintendo didn't include a swear filter allowing many gigglable moments.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I played the Resident Evil 7 demo, there was a upturned bicycle in a bathtub full of blood and it made me giggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

scarycave posted:

I played the Resident Evil 7 demo, there was a upturned bicycle in a bathtub full of blood and it made me giggle.

I don't get it.

As for video game names, doing any variation of "gently caress, I" or "poo poo, we" is great.
"gently caress, I took the sword."
"poo poo, we may be too tired to fight."