Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It makes sense that only a Gamecube could break a Gamecube.

I could have sworn you had to throw Nintendo consoles into the fires of Mount Doom Fuji where they were forged in order to destroy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember a video of someone tying a GCN to the back of their truck and dragging it through a gravel road for a good while, then taking it home and booting up Sonic Adventure 2 Battle with no issues.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It hit the top part, around the hinges of the disc player. The glowing weak spot on the colossus.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

A friend of mine had the ground floor of his house gutted by the 2011 tsunami, including his Famicom and Super Famicom.
He and I opened them up, sprayed them with a hose, cleaned the boards off, then let them dry.

Anyone want to bet if they still worked?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

univbee posted:

"fakku" is present in the odd thing. It was, of course, used prolificly in the dubbed version of the South Park movie, but I have seen it in Japanese-made things too, even the trailer to Visitor Q (which is mostly stickmen because basically none of the movie is acceptable viewing to general audiences) credits one character as "fazaafakkaa" (Fatherfucker, something the character does two minutes into the movie).

Man, I love Visitor Q and I had never bothered looking up the trailer before. Thanks for that! :toot:

Love is a weird term to use here I mean I love it but it's not a film I'd recommend to many people, heh.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kakaricho posted:

A friend of mine had the ground floor of his house gutted by the 2011 tsunami, including his Famicom and Super Famicom.
He and I opened them up, sprayed them with a hose, cleaned the boards off, then let them dry.

I mean, considering the gameboy that survived a literal bombing, I'd call that a sucker's bet :v:

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

I'll take that bet.

C'MON BIG MONEY

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

I mean, considering the gameboy that survived a literal bombing, I'd call that a sucker's bet :v:

Explosions have very little salt water filled with chemicals though.

I was at a house where a Sega Dreamcast wasn't so lucky, and a Famicom and some games are part of a museum exhibit that uses actual tsunami debris.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I had a VMU go through the laundry and come out fine, data intact and all.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Caitlin posted:

Man, I love Visitor Q and I had never bothered looking up the trailer before. Thanks for that! :toot:

Love is a weird term to use here I mean I love it but it's not a film I'd recommend to many people, heh.

Seeing that in theaters was interesting. Me and my group of friends were laughing like crazy while almost everyone else there bailed at various points in the movie.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Kakaricho posted:

- Throws controller

- Shorter cords yank the system off the table, game crashes with the system

- Kan voice-over to a segment worrying if he can recover
Adding to controller throwing stories...
I've thrown my fair share of controllers when I was a kid from about 1988 to 1992ish (I can't remember the last time I threw a controller), but never broke anything. I even through an NES or Genesis controller at a TV screen at least once, but still managed not to break either the controller, or the TV screen.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone remember off-hand what episode was the arcade trip where Arino played a fighting game and the old lady had to feed him noodles because he didn't want to quit his game?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Anyone remember off-hand what episode was the arcade trip where Arino played a fighting game and the old lady had to feed him noodles because he didn't want to quit his game?

Episode 67, Zombie Nation. Arino was playing Melty Blood at the time.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

univbee posted:

Seeing that in theaters was interesting. Me and my group of friends were laughing like crazy while almost everyone else there bailed at various points in the movie.

was there anyone who stuck it out until he got his dick stuck in a corpse and THAT was just the tipping point because that's a person I really have a lot of questions for

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Caitlin posted:

was there anyone who stuck it out until he got his dick stuck in a corpse and THAT was just the tipping point because that's a person I really have a lot of questions for

This was like 10 years ago so I'm hazy, but I think so actually.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I'll do a more proper report of event later (I might draw it as a comic actually) but I just wanted to say Watanabe is super friendly and outgoing and unafraid of physical affection. She'd walk with Inoue arm-in-arm and they aren't even a couple (I never see PDA even amongst couples here). She would fit right in with Americans I think. I told her she's popular amongst fans here and that people call her cute and that made her happy. Also I taught her what tacos and burritos are and she is now intrigued.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

I never see PDA even amongst couples here

Really? Even my inlaws walk arm-in-arm, and I had to ask a couple to not block a ticket gate kissing just yesterday.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

zari-gani posted:

I'll do a more proper report of event later (I might draw it as a comic actually)

Oh yes please! Looking forward to it!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

zari-gani posted:

Also I taught her what tacos and burritos are and she is now intrigued.

You're doing God's work, zari-gani.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

zari-gani posted:

I'll do a more proper report of event later (I might draw it as a comic actually) but I just wanted to say Watanabe is super friendly and outgoing and unafraid of physical affection. She'd walk with Inoue arm-in-arm and they aren't even a couple (I never see PDA even amongst couples here). She would fit right in with Americans I think. I told her she's popular amongst fans here and that people call her cute and that made her happy. Also I taught her what tacos and burritos are and she is now intrigued.

Sounds like you're having the time of your life, so jealous. :magical:

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

zari-gani posted:

She'd walk with Inoue arm-in-arm and they aren't even a couple
This is so adorable :swoon:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I've kissed (goodbye) Japanese girls in public. Depends on the person but most people don't care at all.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

asymmetrical posted:

This is so adorable :swoon:

Now imagine them feeding each other burritos :allears:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just watched my first episode of this, CastleVania 3 (ep 38), epic stuff! Very entertaining, I'm sold on this.

Gonna check out more episodes, for starters some games I'm interested in seeing him do (Ninja Gaiden 2 etc), but if anybody has fav episodes I'd be interested!

(And if there's a page in this mega thread which already has stuff like that, point me there if you can, thanks)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 20, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Heavy Metal posted:

but if anybody has fav episodes I'd be interested!

Mighty Bomb Jack Live Challenge literally made me cry

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The White Dragon posted:

Glorious, will check that out!

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Any quiz episodes, densha de go.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Episodes that aren't good are the exception rather than the rule, so it's hard to go wrong with almost any of them. Because of that I tend to recommend just watching them in order.

But Battletoads is very good since it's so positive, and Derby Stallion is one of my personal favorites despite the game seeming like an uninteresting choice.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Kanfy posted:

Episodes that aren't good are the exception rather than the rule, so it's hard to go wrong with almost any of them. Because of that I tend to recommend just watching them in order.

But Battletoads is very good since it's so positive, and Derby Stallion is one of my personal favorites despite the game seeming like an uninteresting choice.

Seconding watching them in order, they do a lot of callbacks to incidental things that happened in previous episodes, so it's good to build up the background for that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I usually recommend starting with episodes that feature games you personally like. After you've seen some, then you can start watching in order. That said, my personal favourite episodes:

- Battletoads (132 & 133) - I think this is on most peoples' Top 5 all-time lists
- Paris-Dakar Rally Special (107) - if you want to see a really strange game
- Quiz : The feudal lords' ambition (25) - if you want to see great staff interaction
- Ninja Gaiden (29, a DVD episode) - if you want to see some epic struggles
- Tokimeki memorial (13) - if you want to hear Arino's tips on dating

But honestly I echo that at worst a GCCX episode might be a bit mediocre. The early episodes are translated by TV-Nihon and their translations might not be up to same standards that SA Team has later on. But you can still enjoy them just fine.

Also I really envy anyone who gets to see all of these episodes for the first time.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 20, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, thanks all! And I've watched plenty o' TV-Nihon in my time, Kamen Rider 555 was my first of theirs.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, thanks all! And I've watched plenty o' TV-Nihon in my time, Kamen Rider 555 was my first of theirs.
Yay someone who doesn't hate the work we do!

My one recommendation: the Northernmost Travelogue. It's oddly serene and very heartwarming. Never fails to make me smile.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Just watched my first episode of this, CastleVania 3 (ep 38), epic stuff! Very entertaining, I'm sold on this.
Gonna check out more episodes, for starters some games I'm interested in seeing him do (Ninja Gaiden 2 etc), but if anybody has fav episodes I'd be interested!
(And if there's a page in this mega thread which already has stuff like that, point me there if you can, thanks)

Watching in order is best in my opinion, but any episode with a game you know and have played is usually great.
Arino keeping your interest as he does poorly at a game you owned as a kid is one helluva backdoor to your heart.

asymmetrical posted:

Yay someone who doesn't hate the work we do!

Just a personal opinion, but if you doo-doo on pig iron and sextants, don't fall in love with skyscrapers and GPS.
(IE, someone, inevitably, has to be first.)

Kanfy posted:

...and Derby Stallion is one of my personal favorites despite the game seeming like an uninteresting choice.

"Why am I screaming "Ogawa! Ogawa!" with 7000 other fans at the Budokan?" is the sort of question that this show just makes seem pointless.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 20, 2016

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

The White Dragon posted:

I second the Mighty Bomb Jack saga. It didn't make me cry, but very entertaining, and I believe it does a great job summarizing what the show is all about. A few others
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Quest of Ki
Ultraman
Jogging Race
Battletoads
F-Zero

To piggy back on what others are saying, I would just watch them in order, even though some of the first few episodes can be rough to watch as the format was a bit different.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

The general recommendation is to just go with what you're interested in and you'll likely be entertained and then when you're hooked you can watch them all in order. Some of the best episodes are the ones about the most obscure stuff, though.

The "bad episodes" off the top of my head are Princess Tomato and Kid Kool.

But if you want a single episode with some history behind it, there's the USA Trip. The special was shot about six months after we started translating and about three months after there was a pretty bad dubbed English version of a few episodes (don't worry, the goon who translated most of these episodes redid the subtitles on the DVD release). The ending sets off a chain of events whose consequences can be read on this very page of the thread.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
It's a still a wild concept to me that there's so much translated GCCX available. I should start rewatching it all.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for the tips/info everybody, by the way they've gotta do Mystical Ninja 64 sometime!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks for the tips/info everybody, by the way they've gotta do Mystical Ninja 64 sometime!

They did the snes one if I remember right. N64 probably won't be as entertaining to watch but they could sing the themes.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Link to the Past is the only bad one I can remember. There's just too much content in that game and they blow through really quickly.

But I really enjoy Contra. That's a great Inoko MAX moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Link to the Past is the only bad one I can remember. There's just too much content in that game and they blow through really quickly.

Ocarina of Time is even worse in that regard, especially because they let him play up to the bit he was most looking forward to, break for time, then, 'in the interests of time', play through that bit while he's gone.