Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

The Zombie Guy posted:

Does improving a gun help in any way with parrying?

Like will a +6 pistol be able to stun enemies that a +1 pistol can't, or give you a larger parrying window, etc? Or is just about damage?

None of the above; parrying is exclusively about timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Has anyone with bloodtinge actually gotten a gun to +9 or anything? Im curious what you can actually do with a gun ranked that high

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You can do ~300 damage a shot without bone marrow ash. Hooray

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So I beat the One Reborn and cleared Upper Cathedral Ward and I have to say that gently caress brainsuckers and their grab attack. Also gently caress going blind without knowing where are the chime maidens. I died more while exploring in Yahar'gul because enemies respawned behind me than on the boss fight. But seriously, brainsuckers you can keep staggering them and they will enter the grab animation while stunned and get you mid-swing because gently caress you.

I'm just on the lamp of Nightmare Mensis and I have to say that it is so far an amazing experience. The game is so atmospheric, the growls, childs crying, how satisfying sounds visceral attacks... Just wonderful. I still have the whole DLC pending after Mensis and before beating NG and is my top Souls game, or well, Soulsborne. Map design is right spot on, much more closer to DS1 than DS3 and 2 and that's nice since after all four games, DS1 world design was the thing that I liked the most from it. Coming from DS3 with no poise but hyperarmor sure helped getting the hang of combat faster than if I played this after 1 or 2.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

Has anyone with bloodtinge actually gotten a gun to +9 or anything? Im curious what you can actually do with a gun ranked that high

My bt build character has +10 guns. It's not a huge source of damage, but it's not insignificant. It essentially means that when you spamming parry attempts, you do measureable chip damage, rather than effectively none

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I've got a gun heavy build I'm running, it actually works really well. I do allow for viscerals and regular attacks with the Reiterpallasch against regular dudes. I've got both the Reiter gun with paper for most attacks, and Evelyn with bone-marrow for burst damage. I've killed most bosses with almost exclusively gun attacks, some viscerals where possible. Granted, I have not done the DLC yet.

Also, BT is definitely all or nothing, and a gun build is not something done casually.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Viperix posted:

I've got a gun heavy build I'm running, it actually works really well. I do allow for viscerals and regular attacks with the Reiterpallasch against regular dudes. I've got both the Reiter gun with paper for most attacks, and Evelyn with bone-marrow for burst damage. I've killed most bosses with almost exclusively gun attacks, some viscerals where possible. Granted, I have not done the DLC yet.

Also, BT is definitely all or nothing, and a gun build is not something done casually.

Do you prefer the gameplay on this build?
Or is it more of 'well I haven't done BT yet' thing?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I reserved 16 chunks and the stone from Mensis for the whirligig. I spoiled myself a bit and did a suicide run from the starting lamp to it and got it to +10. Then went back to Mensis and did the last part and killed wet nurse with it and holy gently caress this weapon kicks rear end so much.

Any other DLC weapon that I should level up for a mainly STR char? I'm 46/13 STR/SKL right now and this thing hits like a truck (527 listed with all the gems I could use on it). Beast cutter seems like a treaded cane but for STR and looks cool.

I leveled to +9 Ludwig's Holy Blade wich was fun and I know is more of a quality weapon but the charged R2 trust did great for me and when I needed some CC hunter's axe +6 kept poo poo at bay but with the pizza cutter I'm gonna need something that has better reach. If I can get another +10 I rather not get Ludwig's in NG as I want something that isn't a Dark Souls greatsword.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Guillermus posted:

I reserved 16 chunks and the stone from Mensis for the whirligig. I spoiled myself a bit and did a suicide run from the starting lamp to it and got it to +10. Then went back to Mensis and did the last part and killed wet nurse with it and holy gently caress this weapon kicks rear end so much.

Any other DLC weapon that I should level up for a mainly STR char? I'm 46/13 STR/SKL right now and this thing hits like a truck (527 listed with all the gems I could use on it). Beast cutter seems like a treaded cane but for STR and looks cool.

I leveled to +9 Ludwig's Holy Blade wich was fun and I know is more of a quality weapon but the charged R2 trust did great for me and when I needed some CC hunter's axe +6 kept poo poo at bay but with the pizza cutter I'm gonna need something that has better reach. If I can get another +10 I rather not get Ludwig's in NG as I want something that isn't a Dark Souls greatsword.

If you're willing to invest at least 15 or so points into Arcane then the Holy Moonlight Sword is great

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Digirat posted:

Have you seen what's there up close yet because uhhhh

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

loving walking brains, they're drat creepy.

Also, just found this gatlin guy beating moon presence and was drat impressive. Sure the gun may be a gimmick one but looks drat fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnv9aMjar5I

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Guillermus posted:

you can also try out the amygdalan arm. its pretty weird. certain attacks have reach

i dont think anything is really as effective as the pizza cutter though

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Nothing in the DLC is as good for STR as the pizza cutter, but the Amygdala Arm is a pretty decent Kirkhammer-like smashy weapon with a couple really unique moves in its set.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Guillermus posted:

loving walking brains, they're drat creepy.

Also, just found this gatlin guy beating moon presence and was drat impressive. Sure the gun may be a gimmick one but looks drat fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnv9aMjar5I

I beat the game and only ever encountered the 1 winter lantern thing in the nightmare plane. Didn't see one in the nightmare of mensis. I think I missed a lot of stuff my first time in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

I beat the game and only ever encountered the 1 winter lantern thing in the nightmare plane. Didn't see one in the nightmare of mensis. I think I missed a lot of stuff my first time in.

You have to go through a bunch of them to get to the blood rock. One of the cage elevators on the outside of Mergo's Loft has a busted door, letting you step out of it into a window halfway through the ride (with very careful timing). Then you experience Winter Lantern hell.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lite_sleepr posted:

I think I missed a lot of stuff my first time in.
you did

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
This playthrough will be different, I swear!

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

RyokoTK posted:

Nothing in the DLC is as good for STR as the pizza cutter, but the Amygdala Arm is a pretty decent Kirkhammer-like smashy weapon with a couple really unique moves in its set.

Also it's grossly stretchy and hilarious to whack enemies with.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah it's a very creative and cool extrapolation of the DS Large Club for Bloodborne.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The pizza cutter is nice but sometimes lacks the knockback of the Hunter's axe charged R2 (also the charged R2 on pizza cutter is painfully long) that's why I have a +9 ludwig's since the charged R2 trust is faster.

My options are:

-Saw Cleaver: Fast serrated weapon but with log stagger and reach. Transformed makes it slow and not so good. I have it at +7 right now.

-Hunter Axe: Great moveset and reach while transformed but mediocre when 1 handed compared to the mace part of pizza cutter (+6 atm).

-Beast cutter: Decent mace one handed and cool whip transformed but I have no experience with it and don't want to spend all my materials on it.

-Holy Moonlight Sword: As much as it looks good, I prefer to just keep Ludwig's as "boring greatsword" on my inventory, maybe if I grind a lot I'll make it +9 but not now.

-Amygdalan Arm: I don't know what the hell is this but looks drat cool and offers me what the pizza cutter doesn't, some crowd control against lesser enemies (like the beast cutter). Good scaling and normal R1 seems to stagger everything.

-Kirkhammer: I used it quite a bit (+6) but sometimes I get hit because it's painfully slow when I need to smash something.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy Moonlight Sword is more of a Strength weapon than Ludwig's Holy Blade. But to get the most out of it, you want some points in Arcane as well.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

On this char I'm upping arcane to 15 to use some hunter tools. It's a pure 50Str build with just 13 skill to use weapons.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Guillermus posted:

How far from the start of the DLC is the whirligig? I know I'm way underleveled to make much progress there, but if I can get to it without too much trouble, I might make a few attempts to grab it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Zombie Guy posted:

How far from the start of the DLC is the whirligig? I know I'm way underleveled to make much progress there, but if I can get to it without too much trouble, I might make a few attempts to grab it.

You can do a fast run for it from the starting lamp (and you even get to a 2nd lamp) in less than 5 minutes if you do it right. If you want to spoil yourself, here's the video.

Not gonna lie, I died the first time even after watching the video because of bad timing but is well worth it.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Yeah it's a long run but apart from one bit where you need to climb a ladder it's pretty ok. There's even a shortcut you can unlock halfway through, and enough chunks lying around to get you to +7 so you can rip and tear real good.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006

Sleekly posted:

Do you prefer the gameplay on this build?
Or is it more of 'well I haven't done BT yet' thing?

I wouldn't say I prefer it, but I do find it to be a fun change of pace. Others may find it tedious, frustrating, or boring depending on your approach and style.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like having high Bloodtinge on my favorite character (level 150, 50 Skill/50 Bloodtinge), but the reason I like it is more because the Chikage is really satisfying, and if I didn't have it on this character I wouldn't miss it that much (and would be at a more reasonable level--150 just feels abominally high for any Souls game that isn't DS2).

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
So like what level should I have been endgame? Was right at 60 when I beat up Gehrman and got one of the endings

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

So like what level should I have been endgame? Was right at 60 when I beat up Gehrman and got one of the endings

60-70 is pretty normal for non-dlc endgame. The DLC, as good as it is, really fucks the level pacing to the rest of the endgame. As in, the final, non-DLC bosses are geared for 60-70, but the first DLC boss feels geared for that same range. Doing the DLC ends up with you being like 90-100, and then you're 30 levels higher than you normally would be for the end boss.

That's what think, anyway.

edit: Doing chalice dungeons will also hugely inflate your level. My current character is about level 100, still on NG, still have OoK, Laurence, Gerhman, and Moon Presence to go. But I'm also in the Lower Loran chalice dungeon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, my "main" character is 150 because I did a ton of Chalice Dungeoning and all of NG+ (including the DLC) with him and didn't stop leveling. He was like 60-70 at the end of NG (pre-DLC). Now I have him halfway through NG+2 and just figured I'd stop leveling because I'd like him to have some sort of identity and pumping Strength and Arcane to 50 as well would just erase all chance of that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 20, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I look forward to some crazy 3-stat builds in NG+.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, glad I went through the game once without DLC and minimal screwing around with chalice dungeons or optional areas. Wanted to go through the game sorta "as intended" at least once so I wasn't just like steamrolling the final bosses or something.

How highly-leveled you should be is always kind of a weird question in these games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

How highly-leveled you should be is always kind of a weird question in these games.

Yeah, one of my favorite things about these games is how the difficulty is kind of self-adjusting. If you get stuck a lot, you end up clearing areas a lot and levelling up more, but if you make pretty rapid progress, you hit the next boss without levelling up very much.

It's why replays often feel harder to me, because every time I replay the game, I get through it faster.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Yeah, one of my favorite things about these games is how the difficulty is kind of self-adjusting. If you get stuck a lot, you end up clearing areas a lot and levelling up more, but if you make pretty rapid progress, you hit the next boss without levelling up very much.

It's why replays often feel harder to me, because every time I replay the game, I get through it faster.

Yeah, it's not a bad system. If you wind up banging your head against something and sorta take a break and go explore or grind a bit and then come back you'll find that you still have to do the boss/area right, but that it'll be a little easier; you get a little more leeway with higher levels.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Not enough love for the wheel as a str weapon. I use it transformed because I'm arc/str but untransformed it's a better club than the amygdalan arm imo. without high ARC investment can you make the tricked form viable with proper gems?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

On the flipside though, you also start losing less echos/souls as you have the knowledge and skill to open short cuts or activate spawn points with fewer deaths.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

On the flipside though, you also start losing less echos/souls as you have the knowledge and skill to open short cuts or activate spawn points with fewer deaths.

That's what I'm saying. When you get through the game quicker, you don't level as much.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

That's what I'm saying. When you get through the game quicker, you don't level as much.

That wasn't my point though. My statement was about how you may kill less enemies, but you are also much less likely to fail to pick up your echos after you die.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

That wasn't my point though. My statement was about how you may kill less enemies, but you are also much less likely to fail to pick up your echos after you die.

Oh, yeah, that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hunt11 posted:

Even on my first runthrough of DS1 I lost very few of my dropped souls, not necessarily due to being a great player, just because I'd learned a lot of the level already - or if I had a bunch, I'd throw on a ring of sacrifice.

• Locked thread