Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Colostomy Bag posted:

It sickens me that the Mixmaster 5000 may never see the light of day.

Well you can always mix yourself some drinks irl to ease the pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
25 players per instance isnt going to be percieved as reduced scope if you have been saying we think we can do 1000. The numbers are so far off the, "i think" part of it wont help with fans or the courts. It has to at least be in the ballpark to even be considered the same product. And thats just one of his absurd statements.

Haha 25 is far to generous. The gently caress am i saying.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

AP posted:

Nope, 2017 is the end I think.

Maybe. The eventual release of SQ42 will be a good indicator of wats to come. If its just average they can continue to fleece backers untill the next half assed PU module. If its bad then we might see the end of funding or a refund cascade.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Fun Fact: He legally changed his name to Wulf Knight. I want to make sure everyone remembers that.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Just landed the contract to do branding and promo for a large music festival yay!

If you don't sneak a "parp" in that somehow, don't EVER show your face around here again.

Edit: Also, grats on winning the gig.

DapperDon fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 20, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Nope, 2017 is the end I think.

I was certain this dumpster fire would burn a few more years, as they just keep downsizing at the same rate the income slows, but now agent is saying something about there being *more* employees than some months ago, which is just mind blowing.

They have no idea how much cash they have or need, do they?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

Well you can always mix yourself some drinks irl to ease the pain

not a Hairy Roberts though :negative:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

aleksendr posted:

As much as they often surprise us with the depth of their incompetence, i think they can squirt a few more years of operation if they scale back and outsource more dev to 2nd world economy...

The problem is though that once they start to show signs of struggling they will find it more difficult to make nerds part with their cash. There might be a short burst of extra pledges to try and keep the thing afloat but even shitizens will realise at that point they are throwing good money after bad.

They've left themselves in a massive quandary for that reason. They need to cut costs to buy time but they can't close any of the studios because it will prove that they've very concerned about running out of money. Besides, even if they could get away with chopping a studio, which would it be?

Can't close LA because it would look terrible and both Crobberts and Sandi want Hollywood.
Can't close Manchester because that's where Errin is and most of the work gets done.
Can't close Frankfurt because that's where all the Crytek guys are.
Could maybe close Texas but that probably won't save all that much in the big scheme of things.

That's why I still think this thing could end with a bang, not a whimper. They make one serious fuckup and the funding flatlines, within 2 months they can't pay salaries or bills and they're done. It's just a matter of watching what they are willing to do as they get more and more desperate to keep the $$$s rolling in.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

his nibs posted:

not a Hairy Roberts though :negative:

A Hairy Roberts is just a Manhattan with a pube in it

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They can easily make it past 2017 if they cut a bunch of staff, shitizens will just say those guys' job is done so they don't need them anymore but they aren't showing the done stuff cause of spoilers. Then they will buy more ships.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

DogonCrook posted:

25 players per instance isnt going to be percieved as reduced scope if you have been saying we think we can do 1000. The numbers are so far off the, "i think" part of it wont help with fans or the courts. It has to at least be in the ballpark to even be considered the same product. And thats just one of his absurd statements.

Haha 25 is far to generous. The gently caress am i saying.

CIG have yet to even get instances into the game, currently its just 24 per server.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Just imagine having to think about "getting your money out" of a videogame.

Why was your money "in" a video game in the first place? What kind of child-like understanding of the world must you have to put your money "into" a videogame?

Just imagine being smug on the internet about having "invested" in video game spaceships.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

Maybe. The eventual release of SQ42 will be a good indicator of wats to come. If its just average they can continue to fleece backers untill the next half assed PU module. If its bad then we might see the end of funding or a refund cascade.

Changing engine is the only thing I can see that might see them into 2018. They have no other tricks to play, they could maybe reveal an investor and announce a console version of SQ42 to show they still had money left but the blowback from Citizens would be bad.

There is no SQ42, anything that slips out in 2017 is just going to be a few cry engine maps stitched together, Arena commander, social module + Star Marine with a terrible mission cut scene piece of bollocks glued on top. It's all fake and I'm pretty sure after 4+ years Chris Roberts is bored with it all anyway and just wants it over with.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5jds7b/its_time_for_the_25_million_stretch_goal/

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

I actually would have been perfectly happy with the game never having more than 24 players. So its heavily instances or a glorified Coop game, so what? Most of my favorite MP games have fewer players. But now its looking more and more that the "Reduced scope, minimally viable product" won't even happen. LOL.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Wrecked Angle posted:

Can't close Manchester because that's where Errin is and most of the work gets done.

That only holds if actual work is being done, and implemented.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Foo Diddley posted:

A Hairy Roberts is just a Manhattan with a pube in it

When you say "make it a double" the bartender breaks out the Epilady.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

That's a whole lot of people who don't understand that even at the speed of light it takes time for stuff to go somewhere and back again.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Like, seriously. This and the Kickstarter thread have just broken me.

What kind of loving idiot do you have to be to throw away your consumer rights, to buy products that don't exist yet, will probably be delayed, may never be delivered and will almost certainly be worse than what was initially promised.

Why would you spend even a second browsing products on websites that ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to flout consumer protection, advertising standards and post-sale protection regulations?!

How is it that, even years after these sites, first appeared, companies can just vanish with millions of dollars and nobody seems to care.

How many millions have just vanished out of kickstarter by now? Is it a billion yet? Has there ever been a scam on this scale before?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

aleksendr posted:

If the Crobblers could scale down his vision they could easily do it like Hitman episodes. Release one every quater, 1 hour of story with 3-4 hour of mission. Every new content (ship, zone, profession, ect) debut in the SQ42 game as a kind of tutorial and then goes to PU once the next episode is released. You get to tease the players in the PU with the new ship they just enjoyed in the latest SQ42 mission (Buy now !) and instead of stupid demos and sizzle reels you are actually making usable assets for your game.

Yeah, I mean poo poo if Chris could scale down his vision we could have a drat good space game out by now.

In my mind, there's no doubt that the future of the game is going to come down to which stops first, the funding, or Chris' egotism.

I'm shocked that they've not already scaled back to produce something reasonable, it feels like they're so focused on pushing out new ship designs which require new mechanics they can't stop to realise that they need to be heading in the other direction.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Primarily from old age

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

:thejoke:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

I am very excited today

See, your good deeds paid off commando.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Eve online servers are in England, not Iceland.

:shrug:

Also want to add that it's a great time to be alive, being able to witness firsthand the terrible promises made by Crobblers catching up with him bit by bit as the slow dawning of technical limitations finally begins to creep across his fetid smug thumblike face.

I think he knows he's playing for time now, and he knows it's about to fail, he just doesn't understand yet how big of a failure this is all going to be. I can't wait to post *smugface* on their forum the day it all happens.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 20, 2016

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was what notorious closed game development studio Harebrained Schemes is working on with their limited scope game development?

Oh. poo poo.

I feel like there's some kind of allegory here.

Okay, sure, GIFs are like a superior JPEG, but what about actual PROGRESS?

Actually I'm being a bit unfair to HBS. They don't have the countless videos that other, real open development studios have, but they do have a forum where developers give answers that supposedly aren't just their opinion at the time. So maybe quasi-open development? Pseudo-open development?
I read the entry about how they're handling melee combat and it sounds awesome. Big mechs stomping on little mechs because they're literally too small to punch? YES.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

AP posted:

Changing engine is the only thing I can see that might see them into 2018. They have no other tricks to play, they could maybe reveal an investor and announce a console version of SQ42 to show they still had money left but the blowback from Citizens would be bad.

There is no SQ42, anything that slips out in 2017 is just going to be a few cry engine maps stitched together, Arena commander, social module + Star Marine with a terrible mission cut scene piece of bollocks glued on top. It's all fake and I'm pretty sure after 4+ years Chris Roberts is bored with it all anyway and just wants it over with.

There is no way you can melt any investors and pour them onto this project. This is nothing but another gigantic tech debt from Crobberts that needs yet another bailout. There is nothing there to invest in as that would require a possible return on that investment because it is all pre orders and in no way will attract the mainstream gaming market which would be needed. Everyone that is interested in this game, has bought it. If not, then the funding would show that by now and CIG would use that like a bullhorn every single chance they got. The only new money they will hope to see will only come from releasing something feature complete. I believe CIG has seen the end of their record breaking funding and have nothing to show for it. I am in agreement that 2017 is going to be it as well. The moment they close one single office and there will be blood in the water as confidence in their ability as a company will flatline. I hang this not on the devs that work there, but on Chris and only Chris. Years of his bad after worse decisions and lack of leadership and ego will be the albatross across his neck. And I am glad of it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Please remember that the holidays are time for family so please call your parents and tell them you're going to kill them.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I was what notorious closed game development studio Harebrained Schemes is working on with their limited scope game development?

Oh. poo poo.

I feel like there's some kind of allegory here.

Okay, sure, GIFs are like a superior JPEG, but what about actual PROGRESS?

Actually I'm being a bit unfair to HBS. They don't have the countless videos that other, real open development studios have, but they do have a forum where developers give answers that supposedly aren't just their opinion at the time. So maybe quasi-open development? Pseudo-open development?

Been following Bettletech closely too, I am utterly stoked!

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

scrubs season six posted:

Please remember that the holidays are time for family so please call your parents and tell them you're going to kill them.

I just called my sister over the phone and doxxed her right to her face, she dint know what to say lol

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

The list of lies and omissions?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

There is no way you can melt any investors and pour them onto this project. This is nothing but another gigantic tech debt from Crobberts that needs yet another bailout. There is nothing there to invest in as that would require a possible return on that investment because it is all pre orders and in no way will attract the mainstream gaming market which would be needed.

Logically I agree but Chris Roberts has raised $30k+ from dozens of people who aren't even legally classed as investors. It's possible there are really loving dumb investors out there that want a cut of console sales for something they assume will be good and he's found at least one of them, I can't see any other reason for all the year old console rumours. If money has been tight which it must have been since Star Marine I got binned in July 2015, why even think about consoles?

The difficulty in predicting what CIG will do is nobody sensible would have got themselves into this position to begin with. Even if people were throwing money at you to make a game based on promises, you'd just hire somebody competent to do it, not micro manage everything to death, get all your best staff to quit and then play movie director with luke skywalker plus pals in the most expensive movie studio in the world for months on end.

AP fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 20, 2016

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

The picture in question:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

AP posted:

Logically I agree but Chris Roberts has raised $30k+ from dozens of people who aren't even legally classed as investors. It's possible there are really loving dumb investors out there that want a cut of console sales for something they assume will be good and he's found at least one of them, I can't see any other reason for all the year old console rumours. If money has been tight which it must have been since Star Marine I got binned in July 2015, why even think about consoles?

The difficulty in predicting what CIG will do is nobody sensible would have got themselves into this position to begin with. Even if people were throwing money at you to make a game based on promises, you'd just hire somebody competent to do it, not micro manage everything to death, get all your best staff to quit and then play movie director with luke skywalker plus pals in the most expensive movie studio in the world for months on end.

I think that the reason behind all of the console talk is due to Elite making a console version. And if there is one thing that is painfully obvious is that whatever ED is doing, well then CIG has got to do it better. But here's the rub on that as well. The moment that happens, he has betrayed his PC Savior status among the backers and they will rebel. Chris has nailed himself to a cross with that.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

AP posted:

Changing engine would cost them a lot of backlash, very little goodwill and would close a lot of future funding. Engine change are a sure sign of "Dev hell" and would render all the touting of the Starengine horn void and null. It would also cause all the cheap Cryteck expertise they picked up to be useless. That would be like asking for another 100M from the backers and 4 more years of dev time with the promise of "this time we can make it right !"

The crobblers has been doing the exact same game since WC. All of them are the same "mission with cutscenes" game he pioneered and SQ42 was supposed to be. The day he tire of this genre is the day he retire.

A few cryengine map stitched together with seamless space fight in them and mocap intermission are all the current backers want. They just have to deliver a half polished turd and the backers will give them 20M$ and another year. It worked with the social module, 2.0, Arena commander and was goign to work with Starmarine if they had not botched the hollyday stream and 2.6 release to such extent.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:cawg:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

are they going to be able to increase the number of people playing together past 24, or am i going to need to hire hundreds of AI bots to staff my jpeg?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

TheAgent posted:

• several office/staff moves (including the Brno move, disco lando, ben, etc) are still planned
If CIG moves Ben back to Austin--what do you call that? Hilarious and at least not a dick move before laying the two off and leaving them stuck in LA? But knowing CIG, the Lesnicks are going to get shipped to Brno before the funding dries up.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

On the topic of having regional servers around the world:

Since they are contracting Amazon for cloud servers, shouldn't this be Amazon's responsibility? Wouldn't Amazon be spinning up regionally distinct servers as needed? I don't know how Amazon's contracting works. Is having server time spun up around the world an additional fee/different contract from just buying North American server time? I'm thinking it probably does have a different cost, and the only obstacle is crobbler just doesn't want to pay it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Random citizen, January 2020 posted:
So yes, it didn't turn out the way I would have wanted it to - but the implications of Star Citizen's ceased development are much less important than the fact that it was attempted in the first place. With hindsight, it might be easy to proclaim its goals to be impossible, but the fact that the destination wasn't reached does not imply the journey was in vain. I'm proud to have been a (small but loyal and sincere) part of Star Citizen's history, and I wouldn't trade my part of it for any amount of money - the dollars I can (very easily) replenish, the experience is unique.

As a refunder, I have to agree the journey has been so much fun! I'm pulling for Crymelion and Tarkoshe to keep the funding alive. (hmmm, haven't seen much of Tarkoshe in the last few weeks... Sure hope he is ok.)