Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Whatever the reasoning is, I'm just finding that the texture of my meat appears to be negatively affected by the foodsaver, and that using a ziploc appears to have more pleasing results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
I have a cuisinart vacuum sealer with a hose port and hose. Will I need a cuisinart jar sealer or is the jar sealer thing universal (can I use a foodsaver brand jar sealer adapter)?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr Executive posted:

I have a cuisinart vacuum sealer with a hose port and hose. Will I need a cuisinart jar sealer or is the jar sealer thing universal (can I use a foodsaver brand jar sealer adapter)?

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx1G568JYBV9M7R/?source=allQuestionsPag

According to one of the reviewers here, foodsaver accessories seem to be compatible with cuisinart's vacuum

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Has anyone used sandwich ziplocs for sous vide? The plastic seems thinner than gallon ziplocs. I'm cooking a bunch of little rainbow carrots, so I want to do each color in a different bag, and I don't want to put two tiny carrots in a gallon bag.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Anne Whateley posted:

Has anyone used sandwich ziplocs for sous vide? The plastic seems thinner than gallon ziplocs. I'm cooking a bunch of little rainbow carrots, so I want to do each color in a different bag, and I don't want to put two tiny carrots in a gallon bag.

I'd worry about the temp and the bags not holding up- carrots are done pretty high right?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah like 185°

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If they're understuffed I think they'll be okay just this once.

Maybe double bag

Why aren't you using sandwich size freezer bags from Costco :colbert:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 18, 2016

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I double-bagged. There was a little leakage but not much/bad. The smart thing to do would've been separate sandwich ziplocs all inside one gallon ziploc, but right after I came up with that idea I realized I had just used my last gallon.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
after being disappointed with Kenji's corned beef recipe when prepared to that recipe(chewy and mouth burningly salty) i decided to do the second half like he did the brisket in his newer sv "bbq" brisket recipe.

24 hours in the bag at 155 then two in the oven at 300 gave a way better texture, juicy and flaky like good corned beef or smoked meat. still too salty for me even with a plain pepper rub before roasting but I'll definitely do it again and cut the brine salt by half.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Make sure you're using kosher salt and not table when using his recipes. Kosher takes up more volume so if you do a strait trade for table salt it'll be twice the amount of actual salt. They should probably point this out more of the website cause it seems like a lot of people make that mistake.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

snyprmag posted:

Make sure you're using kosher salt and not table when using his recipes. Kosher takes up more volume so if you do a strait trade for table salt it'll be twice the amount of actual salt. They should probably point this out more of the website cause it seems like a lot of people make that mistake.

No, that recipe is just inedibly salty. I think I cut it in half going in because someone else warned me of that and I still found it over the top. I don't even keep table salt at home.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Hauki posted:

No, that recipe is just inedibly salty. I think I cut it in half going in because someone else warned me of that and I still found it over the top. I don't even keep table salt at home.

It's Kenji's one major failing. Whenever he calls for salt, cut it in half.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Another vizzler here chipping in to confirm Kenji's salt recommendation is insane

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

No need to be so salty.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

FishBulb posted:

I have an Anova love it blah blah blah thinking about getting a unit for a friend of ours for Christmas. Anyone got any good deals floating around? Doesn't have to be the same brand I have or anything. I know there were a bunch of 100 dollar deals but I think I missed them all.

If you are still looking for a deal, Best Buy has the Bluetooth Anova as part of their deal of the day. $120 and a $20 gift card.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hauki posted:

Corned beef should be salty.:shrug:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure how well Kenji actually tracks his ingredients when writing up recipes. I think I mentioned this before, but his pork butt rub calls for 2 tablespoons of dried oregano, or 8 grams. As a lot of folks can attest, 2 tablespoons of dried herb does not weigh 8 grams.

I've also found some of his cooking times to be too long.

These are the reasons this forum will eventually turn on Kenji, like Alton Brown before him.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm not sure how well Kenji actually tracks his ingredients when writing up recipes. I think I mentioned this before, but his pork butt rub calls for 2 tablespoons of dried oregano, or 8 grams. As a lot of folks can attest, 2 tablespoons of dried herb does not weigh 8 grams.

These are the reasons this forum will eventually turn on Kenji, like Alton Brown before him.

I don't think we ever turned on AB so much as left him behind -- I went to Eat Your Science, and it was great, totally unobjectionable, but nothing I hadn't learned before. AB is still a better introduction than Kenji, and Kenji is still more accessible than ChefSteps or Ideas in Food or Myrvolhd. Kenji is on the record that he likes stuff super-salty -- just have to adjust for taste.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
People left AB behind and had fond memories of him before they turned on him because of stories about him being weird at live events.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Yeah I've noticed this in a lot of his recipes too. Made his bolognese recipe on Sunday, which came out delicious, but the metric measurements didn't relate to the volume measurements in any way, shape, or form. I don't know if he starts in metric and converts to volume measurements or vice versa, but he's basically listing two completely different recipes depending on whether you decide to follow the volume measurements or metric.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I've noticed this in a lot of his recipes too. Made his bolognese recipe on Sunday, which came out delicious, but the metric measurements didn't relate to the volume measurements in any way, shape, or form. I don't know if he starts in metric and converts to volume measurements or vice versa, but he's basically listing two completely different recipes depending on whether you decide to follow the volume measurements or metric.

Could just be a problem with scales. I know mine doesn't reliably detect anything under 5g. Usually just eyeball it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Alton is still my go to baseline for most foods that I haven't really tried making before. I may not use his recipes all the time, but the way he gets into the ingredient and what the method of preparing it does is really useful.

Also, who was expecting him to not be weird at a live event?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

rockcity posted:

Also, who was expecting him to not be weird at a live event?

Seriously, the guy has always seemed super weird, nerdy, and geeky. I'd still love to have a drink with him, though.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Jeoh posted:

Could just be a problem with scales. I know mine doesn't reliably detect anything under 5g. Usually just eyeball it.

This doesn't really make sense in the context of what I wrote though. The recipe author supplied weight measurements and volume measurements which are supposed to be equal but are clearly not. It may be a problem with his scales, but I would think that Serious Eats could spring for a scale with 0.1g precision.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I wish someone would make a spreadsheet with everything's gravity so conversions would be easy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

People left AB behind and had fond memories of him before they turned on him because of stories about him being weird at live events.

I think it's also part of the general turn away from all the food Network hosts and shows

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

He apparently had a rough year or so a couple of years back between a nasty divorce and some kind of religious crisis, but he's come out the other side and seems happier. He was incredibly nice, fun, and courteous at the live show I saw last month.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Test Pattern posted:

He apparently had a rough year or so a couple of years back between a nasty divorce and some kind of religious crisis, but he's come out the other side and seems happier. He was incredibly nice, fun, and courteous at the live show I saw last month.

No casual racism/sexism?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm planning to make Kenji's sous-vide all-belly porchetta for Christmas dinner (this recipe). I've done a baby version of it before with just a slice of pork belly, and that was great excepting some holding-itself-together problems that came from it not being a full log, but I'm curious if anyone has any made this and has any advice.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I've made it before and the main qualm I had with it was that the fat doesn't really render at the time and temp suggested. It softens, but it can still be off putting if you have a really fatty belly and get a bite that is mostly a lump of fat. If you plan to slice and serve, I recommend trimming excess fat as much as you can. It may also be a good idea to go for a higher temp or a longer cooking period, but I haven't tried either of those things and can't recommend them.

Overall this recipe is awesome, and when you put it on ciabatta with grainy mustard, provolone cheese and Italian Salsa verde it makes one of the best sandwiches I've ever had.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm willing to believe AB might've wised up. I'm sure some of the complaints about his live shows traveled to his ears, maybe he reassessed his behavior, who knows.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm planning to make Kenji's sous-vide all-belly porchetta for Christmas dinner (this recipe). I've done a baby version of it before with just a slice of pork belly, and that was great excepting some holding-itself-together problems that came from it not being a full log, but I'm curious if anyone has any made this and has any advice.

I'm planning to make it as well. I'm flying my Anova and sealer to my parents to do it. I already ordered the pork belly.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Steve Yun posted:

I'm willing to believe AB might've wised up. I'm sure some of the complaints about his live shows traveled to his ears, maybe he reassessed his behavior, who knows.

He was apparently in a crazy church and going through a bad marriage that the church pressured him to stay in, so that might have had something to do with it.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

my only advice is to never, ever try a recipe for the first time when you're cooking for other people/an occasion

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

large hands posted:

my only advice is to never, ever try a recipe for the first time when you're cooking for other people/an occasion

This is a tough call sometimes because there are certain dishes that you want to make for parties, dishes that are too expensive to make for a test run, or too large or too labor-intensive.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

large hands posted:

I would alter this to say never try a recipe for the first time when cooking for a group if it's totally different from anything else you've cooked.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

I've made it before and the main qualm I had with it was that the fat doesn't really render at the time and temp suggested. It softens, but it can still be off putting if you have a really fatty belly and get a bite that is mostly a lump of fat. If you plan to slice and serve, I recommend trimming excess fat as much as you can. It may also be a good idea to go for a higher temp or a longer cooking period, but I haven't tried either of those things and can't recommend them.

Yeah, I might do a bit of this. It was fine when I'd made a little version, but having just a disk a lot more fat was exposed to brown when finishing. Thanks!

large hands posted:

As I said, I've made it before using a piece of pork belly that simply wasn't big enough to be a log. That feels like a decent test run, considering the alternative is to make a whole roast-sized thing for just myself, particularly given how rich it is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anova for $92 with stackable coupon codes, might only be for another hour:
http://deals.kinja.com/targets-anova-sous-vide-circulator-deal-is-even-better-1790337138

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

No casual racism/sexism?

Not a whisper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I have 3 hunks of strip loin about 3lbs each. Gonna SV and slice like a roast for Christmas dinner. 127ish for 8 hours, sear on high sound about right?