Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Hey, this is a new one.. a "6-10 hour" take home challenge before I even talk to a single member of the engineering team! Usually I at least get phone screened by a Senior/Lead first.

is it AAA games? i had a couple of those last time i was interviewing in that space. one of them criticized me in the follow up for doing the exact thing i was told was preferred after asking for clarification!

interviewing is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Nope, 50% ad-tech, 25% fin-tech, 25% other startup type places. "We give feedback to everyone" has become a trending encouragement for them to try to get me to do the assignments lately. Which is cool but, uh, then why not just interview me for an hour first?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Good god man, what market are you in so that I know to never move there?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
New York City, 3 years experience, applying for mid-level Java/Scala/Go jobs in the markets I mentioned

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hey, this is a new one.. a "6-10 hour" take home challenge before I even talk to a single member of the engineering team! Usually I at least get phone screened by a Senior/Lead first.

Is it really a 6 hour challenge? Or is it a 10 minute challenge, followed by 5:50 hours of wondering if you missed some nuance in the question?

I once had this conversation after a phone screen:

- Given a JSON file and a key, return the value of the key. Should take you a couple hours.
- Can I use standard libraries?
- Yes.
- Does the JSON file have weird nested hierarchies, where the key will appear multiple times in scattered places?
- Nope, it's a simple dictionary.
- You want a perl one-liner?
- Please document your work.
- A perl two-liner?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you get tired of that, apply for PHP jobs then people will just impressed you know how to prevent SQL injection

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
No, it's really a lengthy challenge. The last one was the chat app backend I posted about and the one before that was the distributed file system. This one I'll post about if I decide to do it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

If you get tired of that, apply for PHP jobs then people will just impressed you know how to prevent SQL injection

What is it called these days, new_mysql_real_escape_string_no_really_new_version_2_new?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Holy gently caress the spec is TWO HUNRED loving LINES.

"The challenge proposed here is to build a system which acts as a socket
server, reading events from an *event source* and forwarding them when
appropriate to *user clients*." is the gist of it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

"Just install RabbitMQ guys JFC"

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Munkeymon posted:

"Just install RabbitMQ guys JFC"

### Your Solution
The challenge was designed so that a candidate can implement the
solution using just the standard library of most programming languages
and environments (i.e. no external gems/JARs/libs/modules/etc.). Feel
free to use your preferred build and testing libraries, but the production
code should have very minimal dependencies on third-party code,
**preferably none at all**. E.g. we want to see what kinds of networking
abstractions you'll come up with for this challenge. Please don't take that
assessment criterion away from us by using an external library that does
that for you.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Lol how do these companies ever hire anyone?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I've got 10 years experience and I wouldn't know where to start on something like that. I'd probably spend 6 hours just wrapping my head around what they are asking.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

mrmcd posted:

Lol how do these companies ever hire anyone?

*As a **non-exhaustive** example, we have received successful applications
developed on: Node.js, Ruby, JRuby, Haskell, Clojure, Scala, Go, Python,
Java, and C/C++.*

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
At least they're nesting their emphasis brackets properly.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

I dunno, just based on the gist that seems like a pretty reasonable challenge to me. Having it be over-specified rather than under-specified is pretty nice too, it means they value writing good requirements. I'd be curious as to what the full spec is, I could be off base.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

mysql_real_escape_string

That one's actually the fault of the MySQL API

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

does it specify a protocol or you just have bare tcp sockets? seems not that bad if you don't have to do any protocol level stuff

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I don't think it's hard as opposed to time-consuming and the first phase of a three-step process. After competing it, they'll review it, we'll talk about it over Skype, then I'll have 3 more hours of technical stuff in person. If this is the norm though, I suppose I have to do most of these.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I'm on the west coast and I've never been given a take-home challenge. I kind of wish I did get them; I feel a lot more confident in my ability to demonstrate my skills when writing actual code with real tools, documentation, etc. on hand than when scrawling vague pseudocode on a whiteboard with the lead looking over my shoulder. If it was a job I wanted I'd be comfortable spending some hours in preparation for a traditional technical interview anyway.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ralith posted:

I'm on the west coast and I've never been given a take-home challenge. I kind of wish I did get them; I feel a lot more confident in my ability to demonstrate my skills when writing actual code with real tools, documentation, etc. on hand than when scrawling vague pseudocode on a whiteboard with the lead looking over my shoulder.

that second part generally doesn't go away, it's just another hoop before then

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

leper khan posted:

that second part generally doesn't go away, it's just another hoop before then
Sure, but if I don't do as well as I might have when whiteboarding I'd rather have also demonstrated my skills by another means than not.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

rt4 posted:

That one's actually the fault of the MySQL API

The actual problem was that the standard library for a high-level dynamically typed scripting language was a bunch of low quality super thin bindings for C libraries.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Off chance: how are your ux skills? The company I work for out here is great but that's our only real offering rn.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ask me about telling DigitalOcean to gently caress off over this a number of years ago

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Good Will Hrunting's saga in this thread is a really good argument for the benefit of relying heavily on networking to find new jobs. Cause good lord going it alone seems like some poo poo.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

pr0zac posted:

Good Will Hrunting's saga in this thread is a really good argument for the benefit of relying heavily on networking to find new jobs. Cause good lord going it alone seems like some poo poo.

I had an interview this morning and it went really well! I didn't have anything negative to post! They're hiring a lot (but also interviewing a lot of people) but it was pretty great. Phone screen with 2 functions around collections in Java, one regularly then the same thing recursively. Architecture design, some set theory questions relating to functional programming, some relational database stuff, 2-3 more string algo problems, then discussion about trees and hash-tables and collections. I didn't do perfectly but I did very well.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I had an interview this morning and it went really well! I didn't have anything negative to post! They're hiring a lot (but also interviewing a lot of people) but it was pretty great. Phone screen with 2 functions around collections in Java, one regularly then the same thing recursively. Architecture design, some set theory questions relating to functional programming, some relational database stuff, 2-3 more string algo problems, then discussion about trees and hash-tables and collections. I didn't do perfectly but I did very well.

How long was this phone screen that you covered that much stuff?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The phone screen was up to where I mention architecture etc. That was part of the in-person, 3 people on the engineering team and 1 on product.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

I had an interview this morning and it went really well! I didn't have anything negative to post!

Really hope you land it and its cool and good work, cause seriously man you seem like a pretty good developer and the poo poo you've been dealing with to find a job is just nuts.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Just got the call that I made it past the Google hiring committee. What are the chances that doesn't turn into an offer? I'm trying to set accurate expectations for myself :ohdear:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

Just got the call that I made it past the Google hiring committee. What are the chances that doesn't turn into an offer? I'm trying to set accurate expectations for myself :ohdear:

It's pretty unlikely not to AFAIK

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Not unheard of, though. Happened to me. They said they wanted to hire me, but this was back when they made that decision before deciding where to put the new person. So they wanted to hire me, but didn't have anywhere to put me. No offer.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Not unheard of, though. Happened to me. They said they wanted to hire me, but this was back when they made that decision before deciding where to put the new person. So they wanted to hire me, but didn't have anywhere to put me. No offer.

I've received a verbal offer and had the job fall through. There's basically no guarantee on those things.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm just going to assume that until I'm in the office on my first day that something is going to fall through

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm just going to assume that until I'm in the office on my first day that something is going to fall through

Hope you're not 40+!
http://fortune.com/2016/10/06/google-age-discrimination/

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I burnt out really badly, CEO gave me several weeks off, was fired a month in by a VP who thought I was applying for jobs. CEO gave me the option of a generous severance or a different role but there wasn't really another role I'd have done well in, so...

How did the CEO, y'know, the guy who runs the company, not correct the VP?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

5TonsOfFlax posted:

This happened to a friend of mine quite recently. Raises some questions about how sane the "interview without a specific position in mind" thing is.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

AFAIK the hiring committee is like 90% of it. Executive review only vetoes it if there's a headcount issue in the site where you want to work or weird red flags on your background and references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

feedmegin posted:

How did the CEO, y'know, the guy who runs the company, not correct the VP?

Delegation. CEO often had to make lengthy international business trips that dominated his attention.