Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Koobes posted:

its actually the PS4 getting picked up by my mic while its spinning the disc, unfortunately nothing I tried made it better.

...what?! How does a PS4 make that sound? Is it, like, vibrating on a surface or something? (If so put a cloth under it I guess?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Fedule posted:

...what?! How does a PS4 make that sound? Is it, like, vibrating on a surface or something? (If so put a cloth under it I guess?)

Yeah, between vibrating on a surface, it being on an almost level surface on the other end of the room, and the room not having great sound dampening it came up weird. Trying to work a bit more on the audio in Audacity to see if I can dampen it a bit more.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Goons Don't Know Jack - The Jackbox Party Pack Tournament!

Test post here

Is there anything egregious missing from this?

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

Goons Don't Know Jack - The Jackbox Party Pack Tournament!

Test post here

Is there anything egregious missing from this?
Looks good, I know what games will be played, what type of games these are, where and how to join and what to expect. The picture is clear and of good quality.

I have a request myself:

Axis&Allies: War at Sea
Is it clear what type of game this is?
Any ideas to make the post more readable or understandable?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Katznmaus posted:

Looks good, I know what games will be played, what type of games these are, where and how to join and what to expect. The picture is clear and of good quality.

I have a request myself:

Axis&Allies: War at Sea
Is it clear what type of game this is?
Any ideas to make the post more readable or understandable?
Are you gonna explain the rules as you go, not for the players but for random readers? Because if not, it' looks more like Game Room material to me.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Are you gonna explain the rules as you go, not for the players but for random readers? Because if not, it' looks more like Game Room material to me.
Rules and mechanics are explained for both players in the player thread and readers in the spectator thread. What is not explained are formulas for construction, damage tables and the specific effects of actions and research categories.
Do you think this would be interesting additions to the spectator thread? I want the spectator thread to become a "behind the scenes" thread with unobfuscated maps and coordination messages of each team, as well as having influence on the development of the campaign.
This is more or less how I want the next post to look like right now.
I really wasn't sure about the Game Room, as there are quite a lot RPGs and PnPs over there but the thought certainly crossed my mind.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Fedule posted:

Artix posted:

There's a loud buzzing when one of you is talking, it sounds like an attempt at noise removal gone wrong. Other than that, I didn't notice anything particularly offensive.

I think I got it fixed? Updated Video and an Isolated comparison New & Old.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm doing something different so I'd appreciate if anyone can tell me if it's either terrible quality or if I'm terminally boring~

Find Your Fortune And Change The Past When You ENTER THE GUNGEON!

What?
Enter The Gungeon is a roguelike that came out around April 2016 and it's a lot of fun. There's about 200 guns and 200 items, and most of them are puns on guns. It's an odd mix of bullet hell and dungeon crawler that offers a lot of replay value. I'm 150 hours in and I'm still not over it. There's some free DLC coming out SOON(tm) called the Supply Drop update but they've been saying "fall" since the end of fall soooo. At some point I'll be seeing new things too!

Why?
The game is a bit difficult and I've seen rumblings here and there on folks looking for something that may be more informational, or help them with their Gungeon aspirations. My goal with this will be hopefully to help people get good! To that end, commentary is going to be largely informative stream of consciousness over the course of a fresh playthrough. That being said, if there's something going on that you're not sure about or need explained or want to figure out how/why I'm doing something, ask away! It will be addressed!

How?
I've usually got a pretty good update schedule but a full run will usually take around an hour, so each video will likely be about that long. It's a bit more time intensive as far as audio editing and I've got more social obligations than usual so I'M GONNA BE BUSY. I'd expect at least two videos a week, ideally. I'll be going through all of the characters and getting to secret stuff as it arises. And it will! After I do the four basic characters I might start a vote to show which character people want to see run next?

Videos!
A Brief Tutorial/Polsy
The First Run/Polsy

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Just off the bat, an hour per update is really, really long in my opinion. Cutting them down to smaller pieces make them easier to both watch and edit.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

dscruffy1 posted:

Find Your Fortune And Change The Past When You ENTER THE GUNGEON!

I am so hype for this you have no idea.

I'm not sure how you'd cut up runs, either. Some stuff you have to take to a different floor, some floors happen or don't happen, so even doing it by X floors would end up being...inconsistent. I'm fine with the hour long videos, but then I watched you stream the game for hours so I may be biased.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to the Clone run through the sewers and the abbey with a death on the last floor

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Just off the bat, an hour per update is really, really long in my opinion. Cutting them down to smaller pieces make them easier to both watch and edit.
It's not wrong but it's difficult to find places to cut it. I expect to just do straight runthroughs which hey, if the video is short I guess I died during that run! My biggest concern with videos of that length is if my droning is too much. I might split the first few runs up into a few different floors? Possibly edit out backtracking and loading screens but that wouldn't add up to much I don't think.

HenryEx posted:

I'm looking forward to the Clone run through the sewers and the abbey with a death on the last floor
I wouldn't do that on purpose but I would definitely cut that into two videos.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thinking of starting up doing video LPs with post-commentary instead of live/raw Drunk Souls nonsense with my roommate.

The video below is a test run of the first level in Plants vs Zombies. Would appreciate feedback on resolution and quality of the intro and gameplay video. It sounds right to me, but I'm not an audiophile. Can provide the AVS files and a transcript of spoken words if desired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyQpCQ1xriE

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!
I've been working on a Steins;Gate 0 LP, and I wanted opinions on something.

Unlike Steins;Gate original, there's a choice early on that essentially forms a major branch, and then all branches after that lead to either a story continuation or an ending (like Steins Gate original).

I think there's three practical options; however, I'm not sure which is the best idea.

1. I take control and autopilot through my personal recommended path.

2. Everyone gets to pick the branch route we go down first, and I jump us back to the branch once we either reach the end of the route or have no more options other than The Ending. (The True End, which requires certain things like SG did, tacks on to the base Ending, and I'd like to keep them together for narrative consistency.)

3. I follow a recommended path by some players, which involves disjointing between the two different routes, so that readers know some information in advance. I'm worried this would lead to people not knowing what actually is going on.

I'm aiming for a good balance between narrative consistency and reader participation, but I'm not sure if I want to do more than ProfessorProf did for the original LP and just let everyone pick the phone background and how we respond to nonimportant texts/calls...

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
hi test post lets go !!

some issues i'm already aware of: my vocals are too low and need boosting slightly, but its not detrimental enough in the 00 video to be distracting, i feel, so it's just a "moving forward fix your audio" thing. Episode 01 is a presentation check; sidebar images, does the game run ok/look ok off my recording, etc, so there is no commentary, but will be in the future. also i think the game audio in 01 is desynced by about a half second, so i'll fix that as well

i'm aiming to get this started p much immediately after the holidays, so i figured i'd get some feedback on this and get it ironed out now. also, video and audio editing is something im entirely self-taught on, and i probably suck at it, so feedback on that would be welcome! (too much additive dissolve? expo fading? need less jump cuts?) for those of you with more knowledge about premiere pro, here's my settings for export: http://imgur.com/awQSX75 and my bandicam settings for recording: http://imgur.com/9bxwpRx if there's something i should probably fix, please let me know!

////

What is .hack//?

.hack// (or dotHack) is a series based around an extremely popular, virtual-reality video-game that is not only enjoyed by millions worldwide, but also has the capability to place people into comas and trap them inside the game. The series came about in 2002, when the creator company, CyberConnect2, released three seperate .hack products nearly all at once; .hack//SIGN, an anime series, .hack//GAME, a series of games collectively referred to as IMOQ (or Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine) for the PS2, and some novels/manga. The series, while never really popular, did become a cult hit, prompting another manga/anime release (//Legends of the Twilight), which didn't do as stellar a job, and put the series into stasis.

Years later, the series was revitalized with yet another new anime, .hack//Roots, and another series of games (known as .hack//G.U. or The G.U. Trilogy). The trilogy was well received as a direct upgrade to the original games, and prompted CyberConnect2 to try and continue that momentum. This was followed up on by .hack//LINK (yet another anime and game) that sadly, did poorly enough to warrant it being passed over for localization.

This was considered to be the "final chapter" in the .hack// series; after this, no new games (aside from a JP only mobile game) have been announced. Thus, the series is considered to be "finished". In total, there are seven games, 4 from the IMOQ series, and 3 from the G.U series.

And I'm playing all of them to completion.

That was actually kind of vague; what are the games about?

Spoilers! (Please do not post spoilers in the thread, or if you must, use spoiler tags!)

While I won't pretend that the story is Shakespearan, the series does have its charms and quirks. My main companion on this wild ride will be EldaTaluta, and she's only seen some of the anime and IMOQ games, while some of my other compadres will have had almost no exposure at all to the series!

To supplement the ~vast lore~ of this series, I'm going to be doing a crazy thing and deep-diving into the series; anime, manga, the works, to add to the LP. The only anime I watched to completion was Cowboy Bebop, so, this'll be...uh...interesting.

The set-up for INFECTION is that you are a boy, named Kite, who is logging into "The World" for the first time to play with your friend...nothing bad could possibly go wrong, yeah?

These games have a 100% completionist thing, right?

Oh yeah they do. And I'm crazy enough to do it.

There's also A LOT of text, side-stories, and so on that I'll be chronicling for your convenience. This LP will be video the whole way through, with post-commentary added, and if I stopped and stared at each text dump the games throw at you, we'd be here until the next dothack game comes out (which is never!)

What's your update schedule looking like?

I'm aiming for a once a week update; sometimes twice a week, but no promises for that. While I love this series, warts and all, the G.U. games are infinitely more fun, so I will be trying to burn through the IMOQ games as quickly as possible.

The "once a week" update schedule will be after the holidays, natch.

#00: A Brief History of .hack//

.hack//INFECTION
#01: Welcome To The World

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well thats a fitting username for this LP

Godspeed you insane person

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
A .hack LP seems like a bad idea, i hope you restocked your liquor cabinet beforehand.

You could honestly stop after infection, because the only real worthwhile thing in .hack is that the first Phase has one of the most badass metal names in the history of video game bosses

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

HenryEx posted:

A .hack LP seems like a bad idea, i hope you restocked your liquor cabinet beforehand.

You could honestly stop after infection, because the only real worthwhile thing in .hack is that the first Phase has one of the most badass metal names in the history of video game bosses

only the finest japanese beer and sake

ive played them all to completion years ago so its more of a revisiting thing for me, kind of seeing if it holds up (it probably won't!). also innis is my favorite

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

this seems like a good place to post this

I'm showing my wife some of my favorite games from when I was a kid, and we recently started a playthrough of Mario RPG

and obviously she decided that would be a good time to look up the Let's Play I did of Mario RPG a couple years before we met which I had repeatedly told her was horrible

and dear Lord it's worse than I remembered :negative:

I gotta get around to deleting that poo poo

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

this seems like a good place to post this

I'm showing my wife some of my favorite games from when I was a kid, and we recently started a playthrough of Mario RPG

and obviously she decided that would be a good time to look up the Let's Play I did of Mario RPG a couple years before we met which I had repeatedly told her was horrible

and dear Lord it's worse than I remembered :negative:

I gotta get around to deleting that poo poo

lmao don't delete it

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

This is my first attempt at an LP in ages, so please feel free to criticise it down to the grittiest detail. It is intended to be a narrative-heavy Paradox LP.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146246

E: Moved post to SSLP Test

Lustful Man Hugs fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 21, 2016

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

This is my first attempt at an LP in ages, so please feel free to criticise it down to the grittiest detail. It is intended to be a narrative-heavy Paradox LP.

The Greater Insult - Let's Play Stellaris

So where is the LP for us to criticise and suggest improvements?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Teledahn posted:

So where is the LP for us to criticise and suggest improvements?

I was meaning to imply - This is my first attempt at an LP in ages, so please feel free to criticise it [the opening post] down to the grittiest detail.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I was meaning to imply - This is my first attempt at an LP in ages, so please feel free to criticise it [the opening post] down to the grittiest detail.
Actually give us a sample of gameplay to show us how you intend to LP the game.

Stick it here and link.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Actually give us a sample of gameplay to show us how you intend to LP the game.

Stick it here and link.

I'm aware that conventionally a submission to the Sandcastle contains a gameplay post, but I can't really do that because the actual content of the LP would be based on a vote that won't happen until the thread has already been posted. I'm basically asking that the OP be criticised for any poor/weird formatting, bad style choices or obvious mistakes.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I'm aware that conventionally a submission to the Sandcastle contains a gameplay post, but I can't really do that because the actual content of the LP would be based on a vote that won't happen until the thread has already been posted.

Why the gently caress do people seem to be allergic to playing the game they're going to be LPing?

Just make some poo poo up, pretend the vote went a certain way, and write up a fake update based on that so we have something to mercilessly tear down critique.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Edward_Tohr posted:

Why the gently caress do people seem to be allergic to playing the game they're going to be LPing?

Just make some poo poo up, pretend the vote went a certain way, and write up a fake update based on that so we have something to mercilessly tear down critique.

Alright - I'll put that up in a number of hours (I was considering doing this, but part of me thought it would be weird to put up a fake post).

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Alright, here's the OP, followed by a hypothetical update.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146246
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146247

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
Hi I'm playing Dark Souls 3 with a fightstick. Here's a video: 3RD STRIKE

Please let me know about any video/audio quality issues or if I'm bad (i'm bad).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Party Bug posted:

Please let me know about any video/audio quality issues or if I'm bad (i'm bad).

Looks good to me. The only issue I have is the game audio could stand for some autoducking because it kind of stays quiet throughout the video, even in the spots were you're remaining silent like the opening cutscene. But that's a minor issue, all told.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Party Bug posted:

This is really good. The only recommendation I want to give is to maybe position a desk lamp or other light source above your hands next time you're recording, if possible. It'll improve the readability of your handcam and make it look nicer in general. The game could stand to be a bit louder, especially during cutscenes when you aren't talking. Otherwise you're looking and sounding good to go.

Shoutouts to Tasty Steve.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

I was planning a Screenshot LP of Darklands. I'm a bit worried that the screenshots might be too large, and thought I might be falling for the "well, it looks good on MY screen" trap. Once I have enough content to warrant it, I plan on adding a table of contents to the OP. I tried to focus more on the actual start of the quest for this post- massive effort posts about mechanics would come up later when they became relevant.

OP plus first post

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Raiad posted:

I was planning a Screenshot LP of Darklands. I'm a bit worried that the screenshots might be too large, and thought I might be falling for the "well, it looks good on MY screen" trap. Once I have enough content to warrant it, I plan on adding a table of contents to the OP. I tried to focus more on the actual start of the quest for this post- massive effort posts about mechanics would come up later when they became relevant.

OP plus first post

Looks good on my 1600x900 resolution monitor - they don't break tables.

On the other hand, given the kind of font that game uses, readability might be an issue unless they're a little smaller.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Raiad posted:

I was planning a Screenshot LP of Darklands

:swoon:

On a more serious note, you slightly overdid the number of screenshots, or maybe just covered a bit too much content for a single update. Character generation is done in a fairly interesting way in Darklands, and it might still be a good idea to do character generation first. I know fairly well how the game works and yet I can barely keep up with you - character generation is a great excuse to dump some much needed explanations early on.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Raiad posted:

OP plus first post

I agree with mydad. Yo could probably use the character generation to explain stats and the first night of bandit killing to explain combat mechanics. There is a lot of depth to the combat.

Also everyone has to be wearing plate and a missile weapon by the end, so you need 40 Str and End in every character :colbert:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Raiad posted:

OP plus first post

- your screenshots are widescreen and look distorted.
- I don't mind the filter, but I know there's quite a few people who will bitch at you for using one because blurry
-

I'd recommend nearest-neighbor integer scaling of the original DOS resolution. Whatever you do, DON'T do: non-integer scaling without filter, it will look like utter poo poo. Also, you can't improve filtered pics so if you decide to change it, either retake the update or leave as is and do it in the next update.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Be aware that lparchive has a max image width of 900 pixels, so if you go bigger and want to archive, all your images will get downsized to 900px via whatever resizing algorithm baldurk uses.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Thanks to everyone that provided feedback on my first attempt. I might have gone too far in the other direction with this, but here's what I have this time. The OP is mostly unchanged, but I go straight into character creation this time, possibly in more detail than I should have.

I believe that the resolution of Darklands is 320 x 200. This time I resized the images to 640 x 400 with no resampling.

LP Darklands attempt 2

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Raiad posted:

Thanks to everyone that provided feedback on my first attempt. I might have gone too far in the other direction with this, but here's what I have this time. The OP is mostly unchanged, but I go straight into character creation this time, possibly in more detail than I should have.

I believe that the resolution of Darklands is 320 x 200. This time I resized the images to 640 x 400 with no resampling.

LP Darklands attempt 2

Just for the record, the lack of reply means "nothing to complain about here"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
Test posting for a planned lp of Ultimate General: Civil War. Not sure of the technical aspects, but also not sure if this is a type of lp people want to see.

The South Will Fall Again! Let's Play Ultimate General: Civil War

Who Are You?

I'm Sarah, Parasara on the forums, and I'll be the one guiding us through Ultimate General: Civil War.

What Is Ultimate General: Civil War?

I'll let Kotaku set it up.

Kotaku posted:

Ultimate General: Civil War is basically an overblown sequel to the first game, using its success (and everything developers Game-Labs learned) as a foundation to go and build something much bigger and, so far at least, much better.

Where Gettysburg was an interesting battle system linked together by a few different events, though, Civil War is looking to recreate the entire conflict, starting you in 1861 and having you fight all the way through to 1865.

How Will This LP Work?

UG:CW battles come in two flavors: smaller battles - which seem to be 100% made up - and historical battles. While most of the smaller battles will be over in one to two in game action phases, historical battles can last for four plus action phases per day and multiple days per battle. As of such, I'll generally be sticking to one to two action phases per update.

Can I Nerd About The Civil War?

Sure, go ahead. I'd love to see some more in depth dives into how the actual Civil War went down, and not the southern murder spree we're about to embark on.

Hey, Isn't This That Game Series All Those Neo Confederates Love Because It Allows Them To Fight The Union?

Don't loving remind me.

Test Post One