Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I just saw a video from a Euro league. The team has white helmets, but one guy had a yellow helmet with flames on it. Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

Hockles posted:

I just saw a video from a Euro league. The team has white helmets, but one guy had a yellow helmet with flames on it. Why?

Probably the teams leading scorer. Some leagues use gold helmets

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary

Hockles posted:

Swiss league uses the flame helmet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nature6pk posted:

Probably the teams leading scorer. Some leagues use gold helmets

It's this. It owns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Target This Guy

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nolan Patrick is still hurt and won't play in the WJC.

All hail your new Swiss god and future first overall pick Nico Hischier!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It's this year for Hischier.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The walleye are off to a 16-3 start, the best in the history of any Toledo franchise. :coolfish:

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

https://twitter.com/WBSPenguins/status/807767046939377664?s=09
I'm glad I was at this game tonight. This was a fun game to watch live.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/khl_eng/status/809000610964049921

:eyepop:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

3 on 3 OT is one of the best things to happen in hockey lately. I'm glad it's spreading

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
DeBrincat up to 60 in 28, Eerie is like 23-6, and it really annoys me that Chicago got him

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

DeBrincat up to 60 in 28, Eerie is like 23-6, and it really annoys me that Chicago got him

Is there a more idiotic argument than 'size' in this day and age? The guy scores from inside the crease every time. He's gonna be an utter pest at the NHL level.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Is there a more idiotic argument than 'size' in this day and age? The guy scores from inside the crease every time. He's gonna be an utter pest at the NHL level.

Um excuse me the phrase is "big body presence" :pseudo:

Jacob MacDonald did a sick nasty thing. Also I see you there Cal Heeter.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

ThinkTank posted:

No, but I hope it continues because it's that type of thinking that let Hexy draft Konecny.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

DJExile posted:

Um excuse me the phrase is "big body presence" :pseudo:

Jacob MacDonald did a sick nasty thing. Also I see you there Cal Heeter.

loving filthy. He needs more respect for the game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Infidel Castro posted:

No, but I hope it continues because it's that type of thinking that let Hexy draft Konecny.

Konecny dropped because of his injury issues more than because of his size.

e: also goddamn I was so mad at Ottawa not drafting him

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
world juniors exhibitions are starting. i guess someone should make a thread

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/810897281918652417

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

quote:

This year’s team also includes five members (three forwards, one defenceman, and one goaltender) from the 2015 Spengler Cup championship team: Chris DiDomenico (Woodbridge, Ont./SCL Tigers, NLA), Cory Emmerton (St. Thomas, Ont./HC Ambri-Piotta, NLA), Drew MacIntyre (Stratford, P.E.I./KHL Medvescak Zagreb, KHL), James Sheppard (Lower Sackville, N.S./EHC Kloten, NLA), and Daniel Vukovic (Toronto, Ont./Genève-Servette HC, NLA).

The remaining 18 players are:

Goaltenders: Jordan Cooke (Leduc, Alta./University of Saskatchewan, CWUAA), Zach Fucale (Rosemère, Que./Brampton, ECHL);

Defencemen: Mark Flood (Sherwood, P.E.I./EC Red Bull Salzburg, EBEL), Chay Genoway (Morden, Man./Jokerit Helsinki, KHL), Brandon Gormley (Murray River, P.E.I./Albany, AHL), Shaun Heshka (Melville, Sask./Kärpät Oulu, Liiga), Shaone Morrisonn (Vancouver, B.C./KHL Medvescak Zagreb, KHL), Maxim Noreau (Montreal, Que./SC Bern, NLA), and Blake Parlett (Bracebridge, Ont./KHL Medvescak Zagreb, KHL); and

Forwards: Gregory Campbell (Tillsonburg, Ont./Hockey Canada), Andrew Ebbett (Vernon, B.C./SC Bern, NLA), Colby Genoway (Morden, Man./KHL Medvescak Zagreb, KHL), Dustin Jeffrey (Camlachie, Ont./Lausanne HC, NLA), David McIntyre (Pefferlaw, Ont./EV Zug, NLA), Jacob Micflikier (Winnipeg, Man./EHC Biel-Bienne, NLA), Marc-Antoine Pouliot (Quebec City, Que./EHC Biel-Bienne, NLA), Mason Raymond (Cochrane, Alta./Hockey Canada), and Nick Spaling (Drayton, Ont./Genève-Servette HC, NLA).

canadas spengler cup roster

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

fits posted:

world juniors exhibitions are starting. i guess someone should make a thread

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/810897281918652417

You can do it. I believe in you.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Do you think maybe his injury concerns are due to the fact that he's 5'8?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/811598393701257216

why does there always seem to be a gauthier

Hand Knit posted:

You can do it. I believe in you.

:effort:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Jordan7hm posted:

From what I recall, it wasn't so much a injury history than the fact that he plays a more physical game than his size normally allows.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

Team USA just cut this guy from the WJC roster . It doesn't matter if he's leading the OHL in scoring, can't teach size

Built To Beat Canada

The Dirty Burger fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 22, 2016

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'm not going to pretend to know much about Juniors but cutting DeBrincat seems like a uniquely retarded thing that Team USA would do.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
The US is notorious for favoring junior players that stay in the US over players that go to Canada to play in the CHL. This is incredibly retarded because the CHL has a much higher profile than any US-based junior league and therefore the best players will go to the CHL to play.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jagged Jim posted:

The US is notorious for favoring junior players that stay in the US over players that go to Canada to play in the CHL. This is incredibly retarded because the CHL has a much higher profile than any US-based junior league and therefore the best players will go to the CHL to play.

Yeah the closest thing in the states is probably the NCAA but college hockey's overall quality is pretty rough these days, save for like 5 teams.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jagged Jim posted:

They favor NCAA players, and the better NCAA players often are the best (or some of the best) American players, but cutting DeBrincat is stunning.

This has more to do with Jim Johannson being a loving moron. Reminder that this is the genius who didn't take Connor last year either.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
can anybody explain why in the past two years the AHL got rid of like all the popular franchises in the northeast??????? the Monarchs are gone, replaced with an ECHL team. same with Worcester, and even Portland (even though Portland wasn't nearly as good or popular as the Sharks or the Monarchs)

are their NHL parent teams allergic to ticket sales or what? relocating after winning a Calder Cup? what the gently caress is going on with the AHL? poo poo fuckin' sucks hardcore. don't particularly feel like shelling out $150 for a B's game just to watch some hockey. ECHL isn't nearly as fun.

EDIT: the moment I knew the AHL was a garbage tier league was the day they renamed the Lowell Loch Ness Monsters

barnold fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 24, 2016

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Turdsdown Tom posted:

can anybody explain why in the past two years the AHL got rid of like all the popular franchises in the northeast??????? the Monarchs are gone, replaced with an ECHL team. same with Worcester, and even Portland (even though Portland wasn't nearly as good or popular as the Sharks or the Monarchs)

are their NHL parent teams allergic to ticket sales or what? relocating after winning a Calder Cup? what the gently caress is going on with the AHL? poo poo fuckin' sucks hardcore. don't particularly feel like shelling out $150 for a B's game just to watch some hockey. ECHL isn't nearly as fun.

They aren't allergic to ticket sales, they just don't give a poo poo either way. NHL budgets are big enough that running an AHL club at a loss is nothing compared to all the other stuff they spend on. Even small market teams can now afford to run their minor league operations as basically an R&D expense so they stopped relying on the traditional AHL model of largely self sufficient teams that had to develop their own market and fan base to survive.

The AHL stopped becoming a competitive league where winning and profits mattered a long time ago and all that matters now is player development and easy player access, both of which are better served by being closer to the big team.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Turdsdown Tom posted:

can anybody explain why in the past two years the AHL got rid of like all the popular franchises in the northeast???????

West Coast movement

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I spent half an hour reading a bunch of articles and apparently it's also because parent teams just want their minor league affiliates closer to home so that assigning and recalling players is a lot easier. Which makes sense, but drat, I don't like it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I spent half an hour reading a bunch of articles and apparently it's also because parent teams just want their minor league affiliates closer to home so that assigning and recalling players is a lot easier. Which makes sense, but drat, I don't like it

Yeah, Detroit has had an awesome setup for a while now. Their AHL team is 2 hours west in Grand Rapids, and their ECHL team is an hour south in Toledo.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Minnesota has high school hockey (:rolleye:), closest AHL franchises are in Milwaukee and Iowa. I want to watch some goons dammit!

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Despite all other aspects of this poo poo hole city being awful we can consistently put together good QMJHL teams. Saint John is once again at the top of the Q. I watched this team trounce Charlottetown 8 - 2 the other day. I think this team might be able to make a good Memorial run.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Turdsdown Tom posted:

That makes sense. Calgary switched their AHL and ECHL teams in Stockton, CA and Glens Falls, NY a couple years ago.

I didn't like it much at first. But the Adirondack Thunder in Glens Falls actually manage to put on a good/fun to watch game whereas the AHL team kind of blew.

We even get to host the ECHL All Star game in a few weeks. Kind of a win-win in this area at least.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Watching the reair of Griffins/Monsters. Bjorkstrand was hooked and tripped, no call.

Bergeron does get called shortly thereafter and they score. :fuckoff:

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Stretch Marx posted:

Despite all other aspects of this poo poo hole city being awful we can consistently put together good QMJHL teams. Saint John is once again at the top of the Q. I watched this team trounce Charlottetown 8 - 2 the other day. I think this team might be able to make a good Memorial run.

Similarly, the Pats are running roughshod over the W so far. On average, they are outscoring opponents by about 2.5 goals per game. The fewest goals I have seen them score in person so far is 7. I saw them best Prince Albert 12-1.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Watching the reair of Griffins/Monsters. Bjorkstrand was hooked and tripped, no call.

Bergeron does get called shortly thereafter and they score. :fuckoff:

That sounds familiar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ANOTHER MONSTERS TV GAME. :toot:

:siren: MAB and Hannikainen :siren:

e- :siren: Milano and Justin Scott, pile 'em on :siren:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 31, 2016

• Locked thread