Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ZeroCount posted:

It's weird that I don't feel this way about say, Exalted or Nobilis, other settings where normal humans are mostly irrelevant. I can't really explain it.

It's simple: Those settings don't ask you to accept that the monsters/gods/whatever need to stay hidden partly because if they don't normal humans will push their poo poo in.

The oWoD was a setting where basically nothing in it had much real reason to stay hidden because humans were so deeply irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

oWoD is the setting where, essentially, it's an office building in which every floor is home to a different set of secret masters of the world, each terrified that the janitor will discover their true nature.

I love nWoD because, in large part, it reached the conclusion that no one is running the world - or if they are, they aren't good at it. The God-Machine's plans have flaws big enough to drive trucks through, and it routinely forgets parts of itself exist. The Seers of the Throne are explicitly incapable of controlling the world in large scale - they can influence a war to make it worse but lack the power to convince a nation to go to war for no reason, explicitly. Vampires are very influential on a local scale, but almost no vampire actually gives a poo poo about anything beyond a single city. Werewolves are violent gangs - they are again almost entirely a local problem rather than even a state-sized one.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Night10194 posted:

It's simple: Those settings don't ask you to accept that the monsters/gods/whatever need to stay hidden partly because if they don't normal humans will push their poo poo in.

The oWoD was a setting where basically nothing in it had much real reason to stay hidden because humans were so deeply irrelevant.

Also Exalted, at its best, reads like a very compelling (if melancholy) meditation on how the history of humanity is the history of class struggle.

At its worst, it reads closer to Gor; thankfully 3e looks to be moving away from that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Listening to the "WoD the Heck" episodes from RPPR gave me the impression that H:tR was a reaction to poo poo like Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand by a segment of White Wolf's player base that actually wanted to do Gothic Horror and not be Vampire-Werecrocidiles rolling 24 dice in a single attack.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Also Exalted, at its best, reads like a very compelling (if melancholy) meditation on how the history of humanity is the history of class struggle.

At its worst, it reads closer to Gor; thankfully 3e looks to be moving away from that.

Exalted is at its best a game about how the irrelevance of humanity is a massive tragedy and the world would probably be better off if you all put down the giant ninja swords and thought about what you were doing, except you can't, because you're a perfect golden god whose persuasive abilities are so incredible that you simply draw anyone around you who might've criticized or corrected you into either an epic fightmans rivalry or fawning adoration.

Exalted is very rarely at its best. Also, the rules sucked.

E: Though, considering I've heard that was sort of the original intent of Exalted, the fact that a significant portion of the game's player base is like 'So, I've decided to rationally improve all of Creation! Here's my forced eugenics camps!' is actually a vindication of the game's message.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Robindaybird posted:

Also didn't oHunter suffered heavily because it conceived as an aborted attempt to tie Exalted into WoD before somebody came to their senses realize that just wouldn't work?

I think so; I remember something about how the "angels" that empowered Hunters were supposed to be Exalted souls or something. I don't think they ever did anything with the idea, though.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AmiYumi posted:

It's actually the exact opposite of that (other than the level of power involved); the angel/demon powers were completely different. The level five powers in the Core book were the ones you got from a combo of GM fiat, multiple derangements, and "breaking free" of the limiters put on your powers by The Messengers (to the tune of 5 permanent Willpower IIRC).

No, the rules for this weren't in the core book. They were in a splat that was (I think) one of the last released for the line, because of course.

I went back to look over this because I remember it being in Fall From Grace but it was just an additional reason to justify the above. Hunter was such a weirdly produced game. When I look back on it, the development treadmill was probably the most likely reason.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vampire: the Requiem, 2nd Edition

Urban centers are a huge boon to vampires, and most vampires live in cities as a result. Everything they need is there, so they don't have to travel much. The city becomes a vampire's world. It's dangerous, but it has resulted in Kindred life being, generally speaking, divided into only semi-related city-states. All the food you might want is in a city, anywhere you look. Mortals are all over, and if someone vanishes...well, no one notices, for the most part. Plus, cities are alive at night. There's all kinds of community activities going on even in the dead of night that you can drop in and out of with relative anonymity. You like music? Go to a night concert. Sports happen at night, too. The local college has night classes. Vampires can hunt there...or they can have human companionship to keep them grounded. Sure, vampires can live elsewhere, but rarely in large enough numbers to be counted as a vampiric community - it's more like one or two vampires for an entire rural region, maybe, tops.

Most vampire communities are organized hierarchically, much as the Carthians would like to say otherwise. Someone is at the top - Prince, President, Bishop, it doesn't matter what they're called. They generally run their domain as an authoritarian one, but not as micromanagers. It rarely works. A Prince rules by controlling others and getting them to rule for him. Fear is the usual power source, the prime motivator for vampires. Not just fear of your elders, but fear of all the dangers that vampire society can protect you from when you buy in. Yes, everyone involved is selfish, but they come together when outside danger threatens, and vampire justice is ruthless and effective when that comes.

Not all city-states run on a Princedom, however. Coalition governments of vampires exist as well, though they aren't common. They're mostly found in Carthian or Ordo domains - the one for idealism and the other because sometimes the Ordo treat rulership as an experiment and might divide a city up into ley-line-based territories that each sit on a council in order to see if they can get something useful out of it. Coalitions aren't generally that much less authoritarian than a princedom, but the rulership is shared between several vampires at minimum.

Theocracies happen, as well. Mostly, this is when either the Lancea et Sanctum or Circle of the Crone are in power and demand everyone else takes part in their religious activities. It's not exclusively them, however - they aren't the only religious or spiritual groups in town, just the big ones. A domain could end up under the thumb of a vampire theocracy entirely undreamt of by most. These places tend to be full of enthusiastic and willing participants - but vicious against heretics.

The rarest and most dangerous is the cloister - a city cut off from all other Kindred society entirely. While most domains are isolated to a greater or lesser extent, they still communicate with the outside via letters, email, travel...not so in a cloister. These are off the grid. Cloistered cities sometimes happen under particularly effective totalitarian rulers, who control all routes in and out. Sometimes, though, cloisters are enforced from outside, put under interdict by the other vampires of the region. Perhaps the city is plagued by Malkavia, the hideously infectious madness-disease of the Blood. No one out on pain of Final Death.

Within a city, vampires usually communicate via the Cacophony, a word used to refer to the hidden messages vampires leave each other in graffiti, art, magazines and so on. It's a mix of journalism, art and messages, and it really became big in the 1960s, when the counterculture started to rise in mortal society. Many believe that it was a Carthian innovation, but in fact the opposite is true - it was spearheaded by the young of the Invictus, who needed ways to communicate basic messages about how to maintain your Masquerade. The signal spread through various means - pamphlets, mix tapes, books, private galleries, even secret musical performances. It's more of a cultural network than an administrative one, and it's never realy stopped. More conservative vampires tend to dislike it, but the secrecy and shadowy nature of the Cacophony feels right to most vampires. The internet's just made it more able to spread. Find the right website, download the right demo track. Email's nothing new under the sun for vampires that have been communicating with graffiti for centuries. You just have to learn to read the Cacophony properly.

Beyond the single city is the conclave - essentially, a vampiric clique that extends across multiple domains. The name comes from an old habit of vampires gathering at neutral ground - old graveyards, diners, abandoned theme parks, message boards, anywhere you can meet with relative safety and neutrality. Conclaves are the closest many vampires get to friends among their own kind - correspondents and penpals whom you can deal with on a closer level. Thy form for many reasons - an alliance to share information, maybe, a specific agenda within a region, a shared bloodline, a former coterie spread out as it got older. Sometimes, conclaves even go global, but their influence is thinly spread unless they get big enough to be considered a covenant.

Now, let's talk about blood ties. You're dead - but the Blood and the Beast is not. The Beast within you emanates a sort of metaphysical 'scent' - an aura that causes friction when two vampires meet. They innately sense each other and size each other up. They must then decide how to respond to each other. Violence, cautious neutrality, attraction - any of that is possible. But it's never simple ignorance. Vampires can always tell each other by the predatory aura they exude, and they use it to claim turf. It's the main reason vampires fight each other - turf is food, turf is personal. Your turf changes you, and you change it. For a vampire, travel across a city can become complex, keeping in mind the various territories that are staked out, who claims what street and what you need to do to keep the peace. Ignorance is no excuse.

And blood calls for blood. The Blood knows its own. It knows your sire, your siblings, your clan - even when you don't. No matter how selfish you are, the Blood ties you to others. 'Family'. It matters. Meetings between vampires of related Blood become very dramatic, as both Kindred feel the Blood pulling at them. They are more easily affected by each others' magics. And blood ties can go horribly, horribly wrong. During Katrina, the vampires of New Orleans and those they were related to went mad, frenzying in a nightmare that went out through the Blood. There were riots across America as vampires were struck by the feeling, and the Masquerade was weakened.

And of course, there's the fear and the hunger. Everyone knows it - as vampires get older and more powerful, human blood is no longer enough. To sustain an elder of a certain strength, more is needed. Vampire blood. Your elders might need to eat you, and no one is really sure how old they have to be. It's not like they broadcast the information. They smile, they plot, they offer you advice - but how do you know they aren't looking at you like you look at an appetizing mortal?

Even with all this, there's things you don't do. Things that just aren't done. Not primal laws or Traditions or anything, just...things that other vampires will find creepy and gross. First, there's the Kiss. The Kiss contaminates mortals by transmitting some of your corruption through the bite, clouding their judgment. Normally, this doesn't affect other vampires...but if you try, you can do it. It takes effort, and other vampires frown on it. It's an insult - a killing one. There's also perversion - that is to say, a blood bond that is reciprocated between two vampires. It's love, of a sort. Real love. It's bound deep in the Blood. But love isn't safe. Love is fearful, insecure, jealous. Now give it magically induced codependence, and the knowledge that you could hurt them, they could hurt you. It happens often enough, but vampires don't like it. Perhaps because they hate the reminder of the love they don't have, perhaps because they have the common sense to know that this kind of mutual, codependent magical bond is dangerous. Could go either way.

Next time: Oh right this book has mechanics.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 20, 2016

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wasn't there someone who mentioned that the oWoD Hunter books deliberately had a tonal disconnect between the actual content of the game and the art? Like, all the art tended to be of gung-ho, badass Rambo types straight merking fools, mowing down werewolves and vampires alike even though in lore, and in the actual rules that would never happen. Hunters would kick in the door on a group of werewolves and promptly get shredded in seconds before they could make a move. I don't know how it's treated in lore but isn't it a similar situation with vampires compared to basically every other supernatural in the universe? Like, all but the most powerful vampires would get utterly wrecked by basically anything other than a normie, mortal human?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, the video game was basically Gauntlet Legends except you used guns, axes, and samurai swords while cleaving through wave after wave of zombies.

The tabletop game was not that.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

e: this is not the right thread.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, the video game was basically Gauntlet Legends except you used guns, axes, and samurai swords while cleaving through wave after wave of zombies.

This always disappointed me because I loved that game.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kurieg posted:

The artwork for the game certainly indicated it was exactly that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think so; I remember something about how the "angels" that empowered Hunters were supposed to be Exalted souls or something. I don't think they ever did anything with the idea, though.

Nope, it's heavily tied in to the Kindred ofthe Easy backstory instead.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
The art for the first couple of Hunter books was also...I heard people try to defend it as "Rubenesque" but it's more properly classed as "straight-up fetish art". :ohdear:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MonsieurChoc posted:

That somehow seems like the only idea worse than an Exalted tie in.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

All vampires are loose?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Night10194 posted:

That somehow seems like the only idea worse than an Exalted tie in.

Basically, the KotE backstory goes that back in the early days of the world, there were kick-rear end heroes known as the 10 000 immortals. Eventually, they grew corrupt and were cursed by the Celestial Bureaucracy to become the 10 000 demons. In the Hunter Storyteller's Handbook, it's revealed that the Imbued (oWoD hunters) get their powers from two Archangels: the Scarlet Queen and the Ebon Dragon. They sneaked behind God's back to empower mortals to give them a chance to save some people during the Apocalypse. They made them weak though, because the last time they gave power to mortals they went crazy.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think that was also in Exalted. It definitely started as the mythic pre-history of the World of Darkness.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Yeah, IIRC the kindred of the east were originally supposed to have a connection to the terrestrial exalted, a corrupted form of them. Abyssals tied to vampires, lunars to wolves, sidereal to mages. IIRC too, the original exalted concept was meant to be less over the top wuxia and more grim and emphasizing the "fallen world" element rather than the whole "go take it back".

And yeah, the hunter artwork was absurdly misleading. Pretty much all the art was like some sort of Romero take on Buffy the vampire slayer, when the actual setting was a lot closer to things like the show Millennium, with people following arcane clues to see through the mundane and find the horror behind it. I actually liked the concept as written, but the mechanics and trying to "balance" it relative to all the other (far more popular) game lines really hosed it up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kavak posted:

I think that was also in Exalted. It definitely started as the mythic pre-history of the World of Darkness.

Yeah, but that was during development and the final printed version ended up being pretty different from the oWoD's backstory. The connections end up being more like references than anything else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I ran a mostly rewritten Old Hunter campaign in Unisystem rather than Storyteller that was pretty fun. Though I made their abilities a bit more useful (as well as Unisystem in general making firearms and things way more of a playing-field-leveler) and changed the setting and plot quite a bit, the basic concept of 'Now you can see, what do you do' works alright for a horror campaign.

Really, AFMBE with Norms with a couple weird edges tacked on does a better job of getting across the kind of hero you were supposed to start as than old ST ever could.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The thing is, Reckoning does have pretty great writing despite all the flaws. The book makes you feel for these outgunned and outmatched people, really helping setting the tone. And most of the supplements are pretty good too, giving a good look at how meetings between Imbued and the rest the oWoD go. It even feels like a nWoD prototype in parts: a lot of the OOC parts of the books are extremely toolboxy, full of plot hooks and tools to make your own game. The Storyteller's Handbook gives some of the best advice for running a game out of the oWoD.

Now, it doesn't save the game line from the terrible artwork and rules, and there's a couple of real stinker like in any good White Wolf game, but there's enough there to make me remember the line fondly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I mean, it could be worse. Lief Jones had been mostly drummed out by that point in time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The thing is, Reckoning does have pretty great writing despite all the flaws. The book makes you feel for these outgunned and outmatched people, really helping setting the tone. And most of the supplements are pretty good too, giving a good look at how meetings between Imbued and the rest the oWoD go. It even feels like a nWoD prototype in parts: a lot of the OOC parts of the books are extremely toolboxy, full of plot hooks and tools to make your own game. The Storyteller's Handbook gives some of the best advice for running a game out of the oWoD.

Now, it doesn't save the game line from the terrible artwork and rules, and there's a couple of real stinker like in any good White Wolf game, but there's enough there to make me remember the line fondly.

Yeah, this is why I still tried to do something with the concept.

I remember the specific quote that sold it to me: "I know I'm not immortal. But by god, neither are the things that think we're slaves!"

E: The palpable sense of sheer outrage in Hunter: The Reckoning was a really good part of it. You're outnumbered, outgunned, and outmatched by interminable, insufferable bullshit, but by god now that you know it exists you're going to try to kill it with a shovel and a home-made claymore mine.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 20, 2016

To Protect Flavor
Feb 24, 2016
As somebody whose only real experience with WW/OP is a Vigil campaign that inexplicably turned into a Werewolf campaign, oWoD seems really weird? Like, I get that nWoD has some questionable decisions (e.g. vampire menses), but it seems like oWoD was way bigger on having ideas than it was on doing fun things with them at the table.

Maybe I'm just being uncharitable, I don't know.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You're not being uncharitable, oWoD was a massive pile of poo poo for the most part.

There was nearly always the seed of a good idea in every game but coupled with an enormous overdose of 90s, supplement treadmill, and a company that at the time was actively allergic to anything approaching game design, well...

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Not to mention some actively terrible people who somehow kept getting books to write like Brucato

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

All of the early oWoD stuff was 90s as gently caress and a giant supplement treadmill with a massive metaplot spanning multiple gamelines. And several of the germs that the ideas grew from came from Mark Rein*Hagen who stylized himself as the John Romero of 90's tabletop (And still sort of does, See: Everything involved with I Am Zombie, christ).

Revised tried to move forward but was still tethered to 10 years of history. And even Revised had some real stinkers that slipped through the cracks.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 20, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And all that bullshit and metaplot was one of the big driving forces behind making Hunters sympathetic.

They were people as tired of the oWoD's bullshit as the players were.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

From what I've gathered there were two ways to do oWoD:

1: Try to match the theme the sourcebooks suggest, which usually meant ignoring the rules and basically just hanging out and talking about how special you are.

2: Ignore the theme, embrace the bad rules and just be The Avengers, Hot Topic edition.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My favorite werewolf memory is my character hacking a computer so hard he lowered the local gauntlet, after which fact we stumbled upon an absolutely ludicrous amount of Plastique (ST said 1000 rather than 100 and no takesies backsies) which we used to kill a Ghouled Mokolé and smash a Pentex office down on top of him.

My least favorite Werewolf memory is the chronicle immediately after that one where my ST decided that we were going to literal actual Frank Miller's sin city where the masquerade/veil was really more of a suggestion than anything else and every single main character from the graphic novels was a vampire/werewolf/wereshark/weredragon/werewhatever. Cue Plot of "That Yellow bastard" with the perfect metis in place of the little girl.

That's also the game where the ST killed my character because he tried to force my character to "Get over" his fear of breaching the veil.. by having Patagia black spirals attack him in broad daylight.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vampire: the Requiem, 2nd Edition

The vampire template is pretty simple to apply. You take your normal Chronicles of Darkness character, then overlay a few traits. First, pick your clan. Each clan gives a +1 to a single stat, chosen from two for each clan. Daeva can raise Dexterity or Manipulation, Gangrel get Composure or Stamina, Mekhet get Intelligence or Wits, Nosferatu get Composure or Strength and Ventrue get Presence or Resolve. Then you pick your covenant. The Circle, Lancea and Ordo get access to special Disciplines, while Invictus and Carthians get special merits.

...and then you pick Mask and Dirge. I have no idea why they exist because Virtue and Vice work quite well, but hey! Your Mask is your public persona, the identity that keeps you going among mortals and lets you deal with human society. Any time you overcome a small problem in defense of your Mask, gain 1 Willpower. Any time you commit terrible, damning acts in defense of your Mask, regain all Willpower. Your Dirge is who you are in private and when dealing with other vampires. When you withdraw from outer life in defense of your true self, regain 1 Willpower. When you do terrible, awful things to defend your personal identity, regain all Willpower.

Then you name your Touchstone. You only get one free, and it's the person, place or thing that keeps you grounded and human. It is tied to your 6th dot of Humanity. You can take a merit to have more Touchstones at other Humanity dots. After that, you pick 3 dots of Disciplines. 2 must be in-clan, while the third can be anything - including a Coil, Cruac or Theban Sorcery, if you qualify for those. Clan Disciplines are simple. Daeva get Celerity, Majesty and Vigor. Gangrel get Animalism, Protean and Resilience. Mekhet get Auspex, Celerity and Obfuscate. Nosferatu get Nightmare, Obfuscate and Vigor. Ventrue get Animalism, Dominate and Resilience. After that, you get Blood Potency 1, ten dots of Merits and start at Humanity 7.

Why do you want Touchstones, incidentally? Well, you care about them, for one. For another, they keep you grounded when you're monstrous. You fear losing your Touchstone - hurting them or driving them away. While you have a Touchstone, you get +2 to detachment rolls to avoid losing Humanity, or +3 if you have more than one Touchstone. When you have no Touchstones, you roll at a -2 penalty. When you lose the Humanity dot that the Touchstone is attached to, even if the Touchstone is still alive, you lose the benefits of having them. However, you can benefit from defending them. Whenever you defend your attachment to them, regain 1 Willpower. Whenever doing so does you serious harm, regain all Willpower. When you lose your last Touchstone, you can choose two things. First, you can lose 1 Humanity immediately and then have one month to find a new Touchstone or else gain the Languid condition. Alternatively, you can became Languid immediately. Getting a new Touchstone is buying a dot in the Touchstone merit. Languid, side note, is a growing penalty to all actions while you have the condition and makes it harder to rise from daysleep. It lasts until you enter torpor.

Now, Blood Potency is your power stat. It determines how strong the Blood is in you, how much Vitae you can contain and whether you can achieve superhuman traits. However, the higher your Potency, the harder it is for you to feed and the worse sunlight affects you. Also, it increases the length of torpor. You can lower Blood Potency, too - specifically, it drops by 1 per 25 years spent in Torpor, and many elders will willingly enter torpor to make feeding easier when they get powerful enough. From BP 0-2, you can feed from animals. From BP 3-5, you require human blood. BP 6-10, you need vampire blood. Superhuman traits are available at BP 6-10. Blood Potency can be raised with XP, but also naturally goes up by 1 every 50 years you spend active.

So, what are the natural benefits of being undead? Well, first, vampires are fuckin' hard to hurt. Anything that would normally cause Lethal damage to mortals only deals Bashing damage to them unless it's supernatural. They just don't need those internal organs so much. Vampires also can't fall unconscious from Bashing damage, though they can suffer wound penalties. Further, most sources of Aggravated damage to mortals only deal Lethal damage to vampires. Bashing or Lethal damage dealt to a vampire appears as it would on a corpse (unless the vampire is using the Blush of Life), while aggravated damage is clearly unnatural. Once a vampire takes a full health track of Lethal damage, they fall into torpor. More on torpor in a while. Full aggravated damage is required to permanently kill a vampire, at which point they revert to their true age within a minute.

The Blush of Life is the ability to appear alive. It costs 1 Vitae per scene, and while it's active, a vampire appears alive in all respects. They bleed (though it costs them no Vitae), they have bodily fluids, they can have sex, they can even eat and drink (though they'll vomit it up later). It's very handy to do when people are suspicious.

Vampires naturally have excellent senses. They can see in darkness, and even in total darkness they take only a minor penalty to vision rolls. They can immediately spot any traces of blood. They can hear a heartbeat at (3*Blood Potency) yards and can smell blood at (10*Blood Potency) yards - multiplied by Auspex dots if they have any. If they've tasted someone's blood, they can add their Blood Potency to any roll to track them by scent, as long as the victim is mortal. Vampire blood does not offer this benefit, and instead smells of a mix of all the victims that fed into it. Further, if any of these senses would be helpful, you can add Blood Potency to rolls to detect hidden details or people by their blood.

Vampires can spend Vitae to boost their physical stats for a turn on a 1 for 1 basis, or to heal their wounds - 1 Vitae per 2B or 1L, while 1A requires 5 Vitae and a day of sleep. Only aggravated damage will leave a scar behind, though the scar appears natural. Sleep is also naturally restorative to vampires. Anything that would not constitute an actual HL of damage is automatically healed and returned to its original state during the daysleep. Vampires will also automatically spend any Vitae required to heal wounds while sleeping, which can be a problem unless they spend Willpower to 'preserve' the wound, which renders it permanent until healed. Tattoos, haircuts or other marks can also be forced to remain permanently for a Willpower.

Next time: Predatory Aura and the Embrace.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kurieg posted:

My favorite werewolf memory is my character hacking a computer so hard he lowered the local gauntlet, after which fact we stumbled upon an absolutely ludicrous amount of Plastique (ST said 1000 rather than 100 and no takesies backsies) which we used to kill a Ghouled Mokolé and smash a Pentex office down on top of him.

My least favorite Werewolf memory is the chronicle immediately after that one where my ST decided that we were going to literal actual Frank Miller's sin city where the masquerade/veil was really more of a suggestion than anything else and every single main character from the graphic novels was a vampire/werewolf/wereshark/weredragon/werewhatever. Cue Plot of "That Yellow bastard" with the perfect metis in place of the little girl.

That's also the game where the ST killed my character because he tried to force my character to "Get over" his fear of breaching the veil.. by having Patagia black spirals attack him in broad daylight.

My personal favorite was someone in a one shot I was playing in who did the absurd "get ahroun with the short fuse flaw, 10 rage, and starting willpower" who botched charging in on a fomori (back in the terrible 1s subtract days), dropped his klaive, botched his frenzy resistance check again due to 1s, then proceeded to fail or botch all but one attack roll against whoever was nearest throughout the combat. That one successful hit? no damage on the damage roll.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

His rite-name was Plays-With-Puppies.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Desiden posted:

My personal favorite was someone in a one shot I was playing in who did the absurd "get ahroun with the short fuse flaw, 10 rage, and starting willpower" who botched charging in on a fomori (back in the terrible 1s subtract days), dropped his klaive, botched his frenzy resistance check again due to 1s, then proceeded to fail or botch all but one attack roll against whoever was nearest throughout the combat. That one successful hit? no damage on the damage roll.

A group of 3 of my old high school friends got together over the summer to run a dumb little Werewolf campaign I wrote just to try it out. We had invited a fourth friend but the character he submitted was "El Gato Del Diablo" a Feline pumoncia with 10 rage, minimum willpower, and 120 points worth of flaws even after I told him you could only get 7 bonus points out of them. He expected to be wheeled around like Hanibal Lecter until he was needed at which point we would take off the headset playing classical music (The only thing keeping him from frenzying due to his rank 5 hatred of Oxygen). We just neglected to inform him of when the game times were going to be.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Oh man, that was you? I have that saved in a big document of gaming stories. "EL GATO DEL DIABLO" was written across the entire top of the sheet and he had "fur as black as hell itself."

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

A group of 3 of my old high school friends got together over the summer to run a dumb little Werewolf campaign I wrote just to try it out. We had invited a fourth friend but the character he submitted was "El Gato Del Diablo" a Feline pumoncia with 10 rage, minimum willpower, and 120 points worth of flaws even after I told him you could only get 7 bonus points out of them. He expected to be wheeled around like Hanibal Lecter until he was needed at which point we would take off the headset playing classical music (The only thing keeping him from frenzying due to his rank 5 hatred of Oxygen). We just neglected to inform him of when the game times were going to be.

Okay now see, the trick here is that anyone who'd actually try playing that concept is terrible, but that concept in and of itself owns.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm reminded of Muzzle from that Road Rovers cartoon - that was pretty much his sthick: a completely normal dog that annhilates the enemy off screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kavak posted:

Oh man, that was you? I have that saved in a big document of gaming stories. "EL GATO DEL DIABLO" was written across the entire top of the sheet and he had "fur as black as hell itself."

Yup, posted it in the catpiss thread. His player was the DM who ran the star wars campaign where I was the incredibly diplomatic velociraptor that could only talk by screeching(due to DM Fiat) and drat near got killed by the rest of the party because all of them wanted to dual wield and I had the temerity to not give them my lightsaber. So I proceeded to try and dump the entire party(You know, after being shot in the back about 16 times 'accidentally' mid combat "Your character doesn't know it was on purpose!") into deep space because the rest of the Jedi were surprisingly okay with being paid assassins and bombing a populated bank.

Daeren posted:

Okay now see, the trick here is that anyone who'd actually try playing that concept is terrible, but that concept in and of itself owns.

Yeah it's basically one of the stock Red Talon characters but it's nothing that anybody should want to play.