Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Dishonored 2

(this is not a spoiler for the plot per se, it's a nitpicky thing)

Emily's letter: "oh hey my boyfriend do you remember that time I was in my office at the desk talking to the head Watch Guard and he couldn't see that I was without pants?? LOL"

Why did they even feel the need to include that Emily supposedly has some boyfriend, and specifically, those aforementioned graphic details? What is the point? To show she's "grown up"? It just sounds like creepy slash or fetishism... Not on the level of FF13/Lightning/its producer of course. Nonetheless it's still really weird and unnecessary to me.

e: Also I'm super disappointed no one mentioned "whiskey and cigars." They would mention them separately like, "hey I got those cigars," but I had wished they would have a silly throwback to the overly-repeated lines of the DH1 guards. These new guards don't even have a cool whistle, either.

On the plus side the DH1 whistle gets stuck in my head a LOT while playing this game. Don't know if this is good or bad.

e2: is there a Dishonored 2 thread where I can complain about stupid stuff because I'm an uber nerd who has played DH1 over 10 times?

e3: don't get me wrong, I love this game, it's fantastic.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 00:24 on Dec 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Thin Privilege posted:

Dishonored 2

Emily's letter: "oh hey my boyfriend do you remember that time I was in my office at the desk talking to the head Watch Guard and he couldn't see that I was without pants?? LOL"

Why did they even feel the need to include that Emily supposedly has some boyfriend, and specifically, those aforementioned graphic details? What is the point? To show she's "grown up"? It just sounds like creepy slash or fetishism... Not on the level of FF13/Lightning/its producer of course. Nonetheless it's still really weird and unnecessary to me.

e: Also I'm super disappointed no one mentioned "whiskey and cigars." They would mention them separately like, "hey I got those cigars," but I had wished they would have a silly throwback to the overly-repeated lines of the DH1 guards. These new guards don't even have a cool whistle, either.

On the plus side the DH1 whistle gets stuck in my head a LOT while playing this game. Don't know if this is good or bad.

e2: is there a Dishonored 2 thread where I can complain about stupid stuff because I'm an uber nerd who has played DH1 over 10 times?

e3: don't get me wrong, I love this game, it's fantastic.

Lol and people still think games should be viewed as a form of art. Give it another 40 years maybe.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

I wish more games would go the Space Cop route. Mass Effect has an actually really cool setting with plenty of potential for inter-faction conflicts the player can get involved in without having to Save Us All From The Apocalypse. Same with Witcher 3, can I not just explore and fight monsters without the responsibility of Saving The World casting a huge shadow over everything.

ever heard of The Precursors?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQsNCrKGO48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWzC9R4UBpc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrhDiDfjSLc
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/04/wot-i-think-precursors/

so i don't know if this is available anywhere besides Gamer's Gate. i've only read reviews and watched a couple of videos about it so i can't say for sure what the experience is like. but it looks like if Mass Effect were done by an Eastern European studio. it looks ugly as sin, but i've been playing through S.T.A.L.K.E.R. again and it's got me looking for unpolished games.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Action Tortoise posted:

so i don't know if this is available anywhere besides Gamer's Gate. i've only read reviews and watched a couple of videos about it so i can't say for sure what the experience is like. but it looks like if Mass Effect were done by an Eastern European studio. it looks ugly as sin, but i've been playing through S.T.A.L.K.E.R. again and it's got me looking for unpolished games.

I loved STALKER and I thought the precursors was a piece of poo poo so YMMV

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kontradaz posted:

I loved STALKER and I thought the precursors was a piece of poo poo so YMMV

drat. i need me some more janky shootmans

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Something in Baten Kaitos that I'm finding kinda annoying is that the characters all seem somewhat underpowered - I'm currently around level 6-7 at the second island after killing the Thunderfish, but the enemies in the upcoming area do a hell of a lot of damage to the ~400-500 health that everyone has now, and sometimes I get a bad hand and cannot defend at all, taking the full 70-100 damage from a strong combo. Also they have, like, 300 health which takes a while to whittle down as I m lacking in fire attacks. That and the scarcity of items for healing make things fairly difficult, in a way that feels like it isn't my fault. Am I underlevelled, playing poorly or is it just like that?

If you can't defend with the hand you're dealt, just use cards you don't need to defend. You'll still take full damage from that one attack, but that way you can get to discard them and draw a new card. Also, it's sometimes best to take full damage from a weak attack to save a defense card for the special move a lot of enemies do at the end of their attack chain.

Kay Kessler has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Dec 21, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kontradaz posted:

Lol and people still think games should be viewed as a form of art. Give it another 40 years maybe.

In fairness, there's a lot of much worse trash in forms of media that are viewed as art forms. Michael Bay's work did not mean movies could no longer be art.

...poo poo, I'm about to ignite an argument, aren't I?

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Action Tortoise posted:

<vids>

Is it still for sale? I get "This product was not available." on their store page. But then I've barely touched SoC since I bought it seven years ago, so I'm not exactly in a hurry to buy it.

Currently casualling my way through [b]The Old City: Leviathan[b] (a random supposedly-short game in my backlog), but it's not alone in this issue - games on PC that include controller support but half-rear end it are terrible, particularly if they're a walking simulator and the half-assing includes no dead zone configuration. Not everybody goes out and buys a new controller the moment one stick gets a little wiggly, you jerks!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

Dishonored 2

Haha, what? What is this, Anchorman?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cleretic posted:

In fairness, there's a lot of much worse trash in forms of media that are viewed as art forms. Michael Bay's work did not mean movies could no longer be art.

...poo poo, I'm about to ignite an argument, aren't I?

buddy, this IS art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm8Y7KTDgEE

uvar posted:

Is it still for sale? I get "This product was not available." on their store page. But then I've barely touched SoC since I bought it seven years ago, so I'm not exactly in a hurry to buy it.

just searched for it and the only way to get it now it seems is to order it from a Russian online store

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RareAcumen posted:

Haha, what? What is this, Anchorman?

How dare a female character have a life and personal agency :bahgawd:, I guess.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Somfin posted:

How dare a female character have a life and personal agency :bahgawd:, I guess.

Dammit Emily, you're a Queen not a games journalist or Let's Player! You can't just be doing your work in your underwear like that! Have some decorum for god's sake!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The gently caress is the point of divine right if you can't let the bits breathe.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I wish more games would go the Space Cop route. Mass Effect has an actually really cool setting with plenty of potential for inter-faction conflicts the player can get involved in without having to Save Us All From The Apocalypse. Same with Witcher 3, can I not just explore and fight monsters without the responsibility of Saving The World casting a huge shadow over everything.

I didn't mind it in Witcher 3 so much, probably because the focus is on Ciri at first. I still preferred HoS and B&W where you're just getting jerked around and playing monster detective. It's a lot easier to justify spending an hour clearing out 50 bandits from an old fort and trying to find blueprints for a sweet sword when the fate of the world isn't on the line.

Too many games (and stories, really) use existential threats to the world for their main plot and it's just kind of boring a lot of the time.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Gitro posted:

Too many games (and stories, really) use existential threats to the world for their main plot and it's just kind of boring a lot of the time.

I think this is a major pitfall in AAA games in general. since they're meant to capture a wide audience they gotta have mass appeal and mimic the narrative peaks and valleys of summer blockbusters, which are almost always action movies with extinction - level threats. but movies (usually) only have a 2 hour running time and are tightly paced. players expect games to offer 60+ hours of content so the plot runs the risk of losing momentum since you've put off finishing the main quest in order to collect all the butterflies or get gold on all the racing challenges. by then you barely remember that you have to avenge your father's death and prevent the terrorists from reactivating the clockwork army.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

As a counterpoint to that, metro 2033 has no immediate villain and is mostly a man vs. world story, while metro last light introduced a really lame moustache-twirling villain for its antagonist, and it suffered for it IMO. Metro 2033 has a unique atmosphere to it and a much more indirect sense of conflict which suits the setting far better than what the sequel tried to do.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

There's something wrong with me. What really bothered me about this scene is Leonardo striking the sharp side of one katana against the blunt side of the other so he could have a nicely blunted sword for the next fight. I think I need to go outside.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

2house2fly posted:

That's one thing I liked about sleeping dogs. No super villain wanting to destroy all of the world, or even all of the country. Issues with pacing aside, the antagonist is just kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Gitro posted:

This is what killed Divinity: Original Sin for me.

Premise: You're mage hunters or magic hunters or something. There's a mage/magic over here! Interview local people and find where this trouble is and quash it. This is a fine starter
Twenty minutes in: God of Time shows up, kidnaps you and brings you to the End Of Time* and says 'drop what you're doing, the world is gonna turn itself inside out unless you go on this EPIC QUEST'

Bro, I'm level 3. Surely there's someone more qualified.

Some details may be off due to having played a long time ago and failing to give a poo poo after Mr. Time shows up
*I'm pretty sure there was a Lavos Bucket there too

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Action Tortoise posted:

While the game is pretty neat, I wouldn't be so quick to praise The Precursors, it's quite literally "Boiling Point in Space", though without the famous patch notes. They also cut the voices from the English version so you have to download and install the Russian ones on your own.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Hel posted:

While the game is pretty neat, I wouldn't be so quick to praise The Precursors, it's quite literally "Boiling Point in Space", though without the famous patch notes. They also cut the voices from the English version so you have to download and install the Russian ones on your own.

i haven't played it, but i like the idea of a meandering shooter like stalker but with the scifi aesthetic of mass effect.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Action Tortoise posted:

i haven't played it, but i like the idea of a meandering shooter like stalker but with the scifi aesthetic of mass effect.

Yeah, no other game really hits the same points. Back when it was available on GamersGate it might have been worth looking into but now it's too much trouble for what you get out of it: When I first saw Signal from Tölva I was really hoping it was going to be The Precursors but with robots but that remains to see.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Precursors was kinda neat while I was still on the starting planet, but as soon as I got into space it turned out to be this lovely 3d asteroids inside a spacey skybox with volleyball-sized planets, and I turned it off in disgust and never played again.

Kinda had the same reaction to the Boiling Point sequel (White Gold or something?). Very clunky and russian, but kinda interesting, until I found a car crashed into a giant spider and all my interest drained instantly. It probably didn't help that it and Precursors are pretty much the same game reskinned in different ways.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Puzzle Quest 2 is a surprisingly fun time waster but it makes some dumb choices sometimes. It's a bit RNG heavy with regard to loot, a lot of enemies have too much health and upgrading stuff is way too costly in money and resources. Spell resists on enemies sometimes get too high and it's frustrating trying to use any abilities - once it hits 20-30% or more it's really easy to get a string of missed turns. There was one optional miniboss that had 90% resist, I don't know who thought that was fun.

I had to fight a minotaur and the fight had two special mechanics: the minotaur had could knock you over with one of its spells and the other dealt bonus damage if you were knocked down. You were given a cape that'd make you temporarily immune to knockdown when used, but the cape replaces your weapons and I deal most of my damage by stabbing things. It was a goddamn pain, my character's tanky as gently caress and the damage was trivial but the fight took forever because I change cape for sword.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Kontradaz posted:

People always say this poo poo about a variety of PC games but it never works for me, except for Racing games I guess. I recently played the Darksiders action game series with PC + Mouse and everybody on forums I read were like "OMG PLAY THIS WITH A CONTRLLER BLA BLA" and I actually gave it a shot with my PS4 controller. Then I spent like 30 seconds fighting with slow camera controls and lack of keyboard shortcuts and not being able to quickly aim at things. Even in an action / adventure game the mouse makes it so easy to center your view instantly on what you want, or enemies or objects you need to get to. Controllers will always be clunky beasts that I will suck at using. I guess that's what I get for growing up without consoles and just PC games though.

And don't get me started on FPS games on Console. I recently started the Uncharted series and I can't for the life of me get through sections on Normal without intense effort to shoot the baddies. It is soo hard to aim and it doesn't seem like the game has any aim assist.

I'm usually on board with you on "use a controller" being a bullshit fix, but in the case of Alpha Protocol, it's genuine. The menus and some minigames gently caress up in weird ways using kb/m, because as said, it is a BAD PC port. The game runs just fine, but menus are a huge pain in the rear end sometimes. Using a controller somehow makes them unfuck themselves. You could easily swap between kb/m and controller when you're in a menu or a specific hacking minigame and then out actually playing, because kb/m works just fine for the actual game parts.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Is it me or is the MSAA in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided really bad? Normally I'll sacrifice super shadows or some effect or other to run MSAA over whatever cheaper solution there is (TSAA in this case) because it usually kills jaggies really well without blurring the image. Here I think I'd play with TSAA even if MSAA had exactly the same performance hit since MSAA barely looks better than nothing. Game still looks great so this is absolutely a nitpick but it's just a bit weird. There are lots and lots of meshes and girders which tend to alias really badly so maybe that?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Action Tortoise posted:

I liked playing through Mass Effect 2, but I think it lost some of the first one's charm when it became less about exploring planets and being a special forces/diplomat/jedi and went completely grimdark.

the first one is not perfect by any means. I still remember hating the fight with Liara's mom, but I liked Saren as a villain more than Harbinger.

I don't think I did all the DLC so I can't say much about them. Kasumi had a cool design and it inspired Kinzie's final outfit in SRIV.

I'm basically just bitter because in popular opinion ME1 seems to have been retroactively declared literal garbage because the combat is clunkier and due to the inventory management stuff (which never bothered me much, but whatever). Meanwhile I think 2's combat is a half-baked mess that's certainly more accessible than 1, but also not particularly great. ME3 actually improved on it a lot...unfortunately it's attached to the game with the worst writing.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Dammit Emily, you're a Queen not a games journalist or Let's Player! You can't just be doing your work in your underwear like that! Have some decorum for god's sake!

I think that was the point, she did a pretty bad job of acting like a queen and an even worse job of running the empire.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Gitro posted:

Puzzle Quest 2 is a surprisingly fun time waster but it makes some dumb choices sometimes. It's a bit RNG heavy with regard to loot, a lot of enemies have too much health and upgrading stuff is way too costly in money and resources. Spell resists on enemies sometimes get too high and it's frustrating trying to use any abilities - once it hits 20-30% or more it's really easy to get a string of missed turns. There was one optional miniboss that had 90% resist, I don't know who thought that was fun.

I had to fight a minotaur and the fight had two special mechanics: the minotaur had could knock you over with one of its spells and the other dealt bonus damage if you were knocked down. You were given a cape that'd make you temporarily immune to knockdown when used, but the cape replaces your weapons and I deal most of my damage by stabbing things. It was a goddamn pain, my character's tanky as gently caress and the damage was trivial but the fight took forever because I change cape for sword.

I tried to play Puzzle Quest on ps2 but it got too hard too quickly - the AI just gets bullshit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Gitro posted:

The fact that Puzzle Quest 2 and Puzzle Quest: Galaxtrix or whatever where nowhere near as good and fun as the first puzzle quest drag them down. I'm glad someone managed to mod the first PQ to give it all the DLC the console versions got. Puzzle Quest is one of the few games that can make me super mad, when like an enemy gets a bullshit cascade and kills me ten times in a row, but I won't stop playing because gently caress that guy I am going to kick his rear end.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Run Like Hell, an old lovely PS2 game aping dead space, just... terrible boss design for the first real boss in the game. Everything up to this point was very ok, not bad, not amazing, but passable and playable. Then this motherfucker, out of nowhere with very little warning, and your heavily armed companion apparently decides to wait outside the boss arena and let you handle it. This boss is damage immune unless it's attacking, it only attacks when most of it's minions, that it constantly spawns, are dead, it's attack is ranged and incredibly fast with no tell and deals 1/4 of your health in damage, and immediately after it attacks it spawns a poo poo-ton of minions.

You can dodge the attack, but then you can't shoot the boss while it's vulnerable. You can shoot the boss, and deal 1 pip off damage off it's 20 pip bar, but lose 1/4 of your health. Add in long rear end reload animations, constant chip damage from minion attacks, the terrible target locking system, and the fact that you could have NOT upgraded your weapons well or been short on healing... went from ~25 medkits to 7 of them.

Also, for a game called Run Like Hell, not having a run button is just...

The incredibly stupid product placement in the game will never not make me laugh tho. Lemme just heal up this bleeding stab wound from a not-necromorph by sucking down these Bawlstm.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

I think that was the point, she did a pretty bad job of acting like a queen and an even worse job of running the empire.

What a silly way of presenting someone as an abject failure.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Jawnycat posted:

Run Like Hell

Holy poo poo, someone else that owns this game.

I don't think you can call it aping Dead Space when it came out years before Dead Space, though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

John Murdoch posted:

I'm basically just bitter because in popular opinion ME1 seems to have been retroactively declared literal garbage because the combat is clunkier and due to the inventory management stuff (which never bothered me much, but whatever). Meanwhile I think 2's combat is a half-baked mess that's certainly more accessible than 1, but also not particularly great. ME3 actually improved on it a lot...unfortunately it's attached to the game with the worst writing.

The only reason I obect to your opinion is being personally a bit surprised somebody I agree with even bought 3. Like, you knew it was only going further from what you liked about it, was it sunk cost fallacy or optimism?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Digirat posted:

As a counterpoint to that, metro 2033 has no immediate villain and is mostly a man vs. world story, while metro last light introduced a really lame moustache-twirling villain for its antagonist, and it suffered for it IMO. Metro 2033 has a unique atmosphere to it and a much more indirect sense of conflict which suits the setting far better than what the sequel tried to do.

Having just replayed both games recently, I tend to disagree. The immediate threat of Metro 2033 is not the world, but the Dark Ones. You have a clear antagonist right from the get go and the world becomes a problem because it makes seeking out help from Polis difficult. Also, for a game/book series with literal Nazis and Stalinist Communists, I thought Metro Last Light did a good job of not having a single mustache-twirling villain (are you talking about the Soviet Death Squad guy or the Traitor Spartan Guy?). The narrative framed the story as a bunch of factions gearing up for war because there was another faction that was hoarding resources.

That said, I agree that Metro 2033 did its atmosphere better than Last Light, though I'd argue that's because the former is presented more as a survival game while the latter is very action orientated.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jawnycat posted:

Run Like Hell, an old lovely PS2 game aping dead space, just... terrible boss design for the first real boss in the game. Everything up to this point was very ok, not bad, not amazing, but passable and playable. Then this motherfucker, out of nowhere with very little warning, and your heavily armed companion apparently decides to wait outside the boss arena and let you handle it. This boss is damage immune unless it's attacking, it only attacks when most of it's minions, that it constantly spawns, are dead, it's attack is ranged and incredibly fast with no tell and deals 1/4 of your health in damage, and immediately after it attacks it spawns a poo poo-ton of minions.

You can dodge the attack, but then you can't shoot the boss while it's vulnerable. You can shoot the boss, and deal 1 pip off damage off it's 20 pip bar, but lose 1/4 of your health. Add in long rear end reload animations, constant chip damage from minion attacks, the terrible target locking system, and the fact that you could have NOT upgraded your weapons well or been short on healing... went from ~25 medkits to 7 of them.

Also, for a game called Run Like Hell, not having a run button is just...

The incredibly stupid product placement in the game will never not make me laugh tho. Lemme just heal up this bleeding stab wound from a not-necromorph by sucking down these Bawlstm.

I liked the Breaking Benjamin song that features some of its gameplay footage

Schubalts posted:

I don't think you can call it aping Dead Space when it came out years before Dead Space, though.

I dunno why but blue stinger reminds me a lot of dead space

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

The fact that Puzzle Quest 2 and Puzzle Quest: Galaxtrix or whatever where nowhere near as good and fun as the first puzzle quest drag them down. I'm glad someone managed to mod the first PQ to give it all the DLC the console versions got. Puzzle Quest is one of the few games that can make me super mad, when like an enemy gets a bullshit cascade and kills me ten times in a row, but I won't stop playing because gently caress that guy I am going to kick his rear end.

Gems of War is by the people who made the original Puzzle Quest and while it is a f2p cell phone game it's pretty lenient, it never artificially limits how long or how often you can play and if you join one of the Goon guilds you get tons of free poo poo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

The only reason I obect to your opinion is being personally a bit surprised somebody I agree with even bought 3. Like, you knew it was only going further from what you liked about it, was it sunk cost fallacy or optimism?

Neither. I played the demo for 3 and hated it. But long after the shitstorm surrounding it died down, a friend bought me a copy so we could play multiplayer.

I've had a regular urge to jump into a full trilogy playthrough, giving 2 and 3 a(nother) chance in the process, but I always get discouraged by the DLC situation.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Dec 22, 2016

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Schubalts posted:

Yeah, that's my bad. It's just the first other game that comes to mind in comparison, and I think I actually first played RLH after I played DS1. I like these aliens better than necromorphs honestly, the whole "slice an arm off a dude and slap that on my back so I have another arm" thing they do is cool beans. 'sides, their biomass is better looking. And the fact they do actually, visibly and mechanically evolve as the game goes on, also cool beans.

Back on topic, boss 2 and 3 were also hot trash. Less so, much less so, but still. Specially the whole nigh-unavoidable swipe attack that resets their pattern, in which they can knock you down and hit you several times before your back up. Game has a control setup one step above tank controls, CQC does not work. Boss three was just two again, but in a much smaller more enclosed arena with stronger minions. I just once again tanked them using my reserve of healing items.

I honestly kinda want to like this game, it's... it does some things pretty well. It does backtracking well for god's sake. But it also has... a ton of little things dragging it down. Long as gently caress unskipable ladder climbing animations. Lots of guns to use, only two are any good. These loving camera controls that you have to fight constantly just to look at stuff. The dodge. Good god the dodge, I can just never pull it off. And the riflebutt, it... either doesn't connect and the enemy gets a free hit on you, or it connects and they get stunned for half a second, while you recover for longer than they are stunned for.

Also, one of the VA's is goddamn Kate Mulgrew of ST: Voyager fame. Had a nice giggle when I realized that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Schubalts posted:

A friend had it ages ago and sometimes I swear it was just a bad dream because it was a bad game and we played it one day we stayed up 24 hours straight and just never touched it again. All I remember about it was constantly dying to instant kill bullshit. We weren't even having fun, trading off who played every death, after an hour or so. We just wanted to beat it out of sheer combined anger at a dumb game.

Guy Mann posted:

Gems of War is by the people who made the original Puzzle Quest and while it is a f2p cell phone game it's pretty lenient, it never artificially limits how long or how often you can play and if you join one of the Goon guilds you get tons of free poo poo.

I think I played it on steam before and quit for some reason. That was when it first came out though? I'll probably give it another try.