Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Go on a dojo quest to learn fencing, that broadsword will get absolutely ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Be sure to make it into a diamond broadsword as well. One of the best melee weapons in the game. At least, back when I played it was!

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I found a halberd and I'm wrecking poo poo.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
I managed to find a Zwiehander myself but it got damaged real quick. How do you repair it?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You should be able to patch it up with a soldering iron, if I'm not mistaken.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Be sure to examine it too. A few of the swords you can find have low quality prop/replica versions with the same name that aren't useful as weapons too. If it broke quickly that might be a sign it's not a legit sword.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Machetes are probably the best weapons in the game, with one of the weapon styles(silat I think?) you can take on pretty much anything with little effort, and they're fast enough that they can actually stunlock enemies if I remember right

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
machetes are also much easier to obtain since you can craft a makeshift one from any blade, and then upgrade it to a survivor machete with a bit of duct tape. the diamond swords are fun but are mostly a victory lap weapon.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Sorry but the best weapon in the game is bare-handed Muay Thai backed up by hydraulic muscles and a lot of drugs. Hit a Zombie Hulk with a flying knee so powerful that it slams into a wall several metres away and gibs on impact

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
So, I'm on the experimental builds, just to be safe, but uh...

...What's up with fuel (gas or electric) consumption?

Had a basically fixed up car (wheels/gas tanks/engine/etc were all green) and driving it ~2 blocks to my base was about 10% of the fueltank.

Replaced the wheels on an electric scooter for fun and decided to drive it home - it was about 13% battery and I admit I knew that wouldn't go too far but...

I think it got about ...13 tiles? I don't mean *overmap* tiles either. I mean basically just walking 13 squares.

What.

So far having my best run (I've only been playing a week or two) as the scenario that starts you as a 'survivor' that lasted until winter in a cabin. But I've failed to find any of the three answers I really need: Sugar beet seeds, a Chemistry kit, OR a chemistry book

Meaning I can't make sugar, as far as I can tell. (Since I need a kit to have chemical-whatever 2...but sugar beet syrup would be able to avoid that)

Also the entire town I'm in, haven't seen a single RV so I still don't have a fridge. I haven't explored 100% of it yet so still hoping. Also no electronics shops yet.

Oh, also, for anyone playing and near a forest, let me say while the perma-light from the fabricated (crafting menu) charcoal kiln is cute and all, the convenience of the Construction-menu kiln is really nice. None of this fiddly small-batch poo poo. Drop 100 heavy sticks in, get 2600 charcoal out.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Angry Diplomat posted:

Sorry but the best weapon in the game is bare-handed Muay Thai backed up by hydraulic muscles and a lot of drugs. Hit a Zombie Hulk with a flying knee so powerful that it slams into a wall several metres away and gibs on impact

My character started off with 12 str/14 int and Dragon Style. It's fun as poo poo. Using the Broadsword/fencing for now, but once I get more upgrades I'll probably switch back.

Fayk posted:

So, I'm on the experimental builds, just to be safe, but uh...

...What's up with fuel (gas or electric) consumption?

Had a basically fixed up car (wheels/gas tanks/engine/etc were all green) and driving it ~2 blocks to my base was about 10% of the fueltank.

I had this happen a while ago. It was because the engine was "broken" but for some reason I could still drive. I couldn't turn it on or off, but I could "control" the vehicle and drive it like it had a working engine. However, it sucked up an enormous amount of additional gas. I assume it's some sort of bug.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

My friend, have you been giving your car enough vitamins? Did you remember to wash your tires?

Long story short, the devs are making a big push toward ~realism~, fuel consumption is a work in progress that got merged before it was ready. The vitamin/clothes washing things are two other realism changes in the same push.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Angry Diplomat posted:

I just got smashed into a wall by a Zombie Brute and immediately got up, cranked my Strength up as high as I could in six seconds of insanity, and hit the fucker so hard it went flying through the wall behind it.

That'll learn him.

Prick.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sounds like a night out in my home town.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

bitcoin bastard posted:

Long story short, the devs are making a big push toward ~realism~, fuel consumption is a work in progress that got merged before it was ready. The vitamin/clothes washing things are two other realism changes in the same push.

Yeaaaah. At least with the clothes washing thing so far it's just been zombie clothes and I just take the "ewww zomzbie clothes" trait for a free point.

I just hope vehicle fuel usage is either 'like real life' or more lenient, because right now it seems like lightweight cars actually have sub-M1A1 fuel efficiency. (An M1A1 is <1MPG)

Mostly because this is a place where being able to 'play with vehicles' etc is 'fun'.

Real question time: what kind of buildings/etc have a chance to spawn a chemistry set?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Try crafting one.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fayk posted:

Real question time: what kind of buildings/etc have a chance to spawn a chemistry set?

The Wish menu.

And random basements. I like to think it's based on these sorts of things.

By the way, always a good thing to have handy in case of apocolypse. Give it a read! http://www.geekityourself.com/files/The-Golden-Book-Of-Chemistry-Experiments.pdf

Skip to pages 30 (Playing Safe with Hydrogen), 35 (Chlorine, Friend Or Foe?), and 89 (How to produce your own Methyl and Ethyl Alcohols) for the fun stuff.

Also look out for The Golden Book Of Wild Animal Pets for even worse and illegal craft ideas!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 19, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fayk posted:

Yeaaaah. At least with the clothes washing thing so far it's just been zombie clothes and I just take the "ewww zomzbie clothes" trait for a free point.

I just hope vehicle fuel usage is either 'like real life' or more lenient, because right now it seems like lightweight cars actually have sub-M1A1 fuel efficiency. (An M1A1 is <1MPG)

Mostly because this is a place where being able to 'play with vehicles' etc is 'fun'.

Mobile meth labs have onboard chemistry labs built into them and might have a chance to spawn a chemistry set in their loot table, not sure. Underground labs can have them, as can survivor houses and survivor basements (the trapped houses with boarded-up windows with survivor zombies inside.

As others have said though you can make your own. You need cooking and fabrication skills of at least 2, and this stuff. The recipe comes from chemistry books which you can find in libraries, bookstores, mansions, the usual places.

Don't forget you can get rubber hoses by dismantling refrigerators.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

My character started off with 12 str/14 int and Dragon Style. It's fun as poo poo. Using the Broadsword/fencing for now, but once I get more upgrades I'll probably switch back.

Broadsword/Fencing is a fine choice for endgame melee. I'll use that even if I have other martial arts or Katana/Niten. Main reason I ever switch away is to save space and weight by going with an unarmed martial art + punch dagger.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Try crafting one.

to follow up on this, crafting a chemistry set is pretty easy. it requires an array of stuff, but it's all fairly obtainable. truthfully the hardest thing to get is the textbook. in the dev edition, you can make a basic version using basically everything except the hotplate and the copper wire without any textbook help to get yourself going a little quicker.

chemistry sets are vanishingly rare in the world so just channel your inner hobo and dump out a few glass bottles of san pelligrino and use them to stick into your meth cookin' hut

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I've never found a Chemistry Set. Always just crafted one. Raiding one liquor store and a house gives you 99% of the materials you need to craft one. Possibly 100% if lucky.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

labs will poo poo out chemistry sets but unless youre doing lab start, you already had one

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Coolguye posted:

chemistry sets are vanishingly rare in the world so just channel your inner hobo and dump out a few glass bottles of san pelligrino and use them to stick into your meth cookin' hut

Try house basements. A decent number of those are chemistry basements that spawn a decent number of sets. And in schools one of the corners is a chem classroom/storage room with a chance to spawn a set.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

palamedes posted:

Try house basements. A decent number of those are chemistry basements that spawn a decent number of sets. And in schools one of the corners is a chem classroom/storage room with a chance to spawn a set.

Yeah, I had a regional school on my map (thanks roadmaps!) and was hoping that the map designers did a 'realistic' thing like that - but as soon as I found the library I found 3-4 books I hadn't found previously and that got me set up.Thanks everyone. Now just have to make it home alive.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
How do you guys normally run the early game nowadays? In earlier versions I used to try to raid houses on the outskirts of cities but now I'm just getting overwhelmed.

Also what's the preferred setting--static spawns or wandering spawns?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Unless they've been changed recently, it's my experience that wandering spawns are generally pretty awful since they'll sometimes just sort of materialize on top of you without reason or rhyme, and they never really stop no matter what lengths you go to in search of a moment's peace. Static spawns seem a lot better. You do run into the situation where you clear out a city and then it's just empty and lonely, but I kind of like the existential feeling of that, and going on an unending journey on the roads of New England is an easy way to outrun ennui.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I haven't messed with wandering spawns yet but what I've read about them is it's still kind of a work in progress - it will happily spawn zombies inside your trapped/barricaded compound because there's currently no logic to check if it would actually be possible for them to get in.

The main issue with static spawns is because it's all front-loaded, there's no difficulty scaling at all - you can run in to a lot of nasty high level enemies on day 1, so you need to be very careful when heading into cities.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Vengarr posted:

How do you guys normally run the early game nowadays? In earlier versions I used to try to raid houses on the outskirts of cities but now I'm just getting overwhelmed.

#1 rule with early game raiding is do it in the dark. Even if you take clumsy, bad hearing, and don't take night vision, you can STILL outstealth zombies extremely easily.

Either set your starting time to be dusk, or else spend the first few hours getting some starter gear crafted up. A basic melee weapon like a cudgel, some improvised lockpicks (needs a rock and scrap metal), bindles or makeshift sling for loot (drop these if you need to fight), some basic warmth items (hand / foot wraps, etc), and so forth. Once it's dark out you just creep from house to house stealing poo poo. You should have 3-5 tiles of vision around you (more if you took Night Vision), and if you see a zombie just move on. A fine trick you can do is go find a crappy car wreck and bash it a couple times. That'll make a lot of noise which will attract zombies, who will themselves blunder around inside the car wreck, bashing it to make more noise, collecting all the zombies in the area. Then you just creep around to all the adjacent houses and steal everything.

Once you find a flashlight it's even easier, you just click it on for one turn, take note of everything useful around, and then move on. The zombies will blunder towards where they saw you last, not where you're going.

If you run into isolated zombies there's no reason why you can't do the ol' lure them onto a shrub and beat them to death trick. Just be ready to book it if the fight noise attracts more attention. Even shrieker zombies aren't a big deal. If one spots you and shrieks, you just turn sprinting on and leave. They won't be able to follow you once you leave their field of vision (3-4 tiles).

Once you've stolen enough stuff, found and cleared a house to live in, and teched up to leather armor or so and gotten some ranged offense (molotovs, throwing spears, guns, etc.) then you can start daylight operations.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Vengarr posted:

Night Vision and go at night. You can easily out-sneak anything, no problem. It's basically cheating.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I started as a bionic patient stuck in a hospital the other day. Even with the inherit 50% hp penalty, it turns out that raiding the painkiller closet and eating dropped boxes of cookies to fuel regeneration with empty calories is darned effective.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Cyborg Cookie Monster? I've really got to get this gasket compiling.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I still don't have trouble in the early game just using a cudgel. The only way I run into issues is if I get a shocker brute on my rear end - and specifically a shocker brute. A normal brute I can stunlock and kite through windows and stuff, a normal shocker I can doorway troll into range. A shocker brute, however, will loving universally blast me with lightning, which ruins my own speed, and then has enough strength and endurance to power through me whacking him in the head a few times to turn me into an agonized wreck.

But yeah, cutting + big stick = come @ me, br0 for the early game.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
One thing you've got to be a little careful of is suddenly getting trapped by shady zombies. They've got 40 tiles vision at night and are (in darkness) invisible until they're right next to you. One or two on their own isn't too difficult, but they can travel in relatively large packs and love to start poo poo when you're getting mobbed by other zombies.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I wish NPCs and survivors were more robust in this game. Piecing up bits of society back together would be charming and fun.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are NPCs smart enough to feed themselves with needs enabled? Or will they just stand there and starve to death next to a fully stocked fridge because they're waiting for you to give them something? I feel like the first major barrier to making NPCs useful is to make the AI at least somewhat self sufficient - have it know how to scavenge supplies, maybe even eventually craft things based on their skills.

I like the idea of creating a kind of wilderness refuge filled with NPCs, keeping them warm and fed, but I don't feel like the AI is there yet.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 21, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The AI can't do a loving thing and you should just use the debug commands to give the debug life support mutation to any NPC you want to interact with more than once.

Carcer posted:

One thing you've got to be a little careful of is suddenly getting trapped by shady zombies. They've got 40 tiles vision at night and are (in darkness) invisible until they're right next to you. One or two on their own isn't too difficult, but they can travel in relatively large packs and love to start poo poo when you're getting mobbed by other zombies.

Yeah Shady Zombies in particular seem to be intended as a direct nerf to (or at least a major complicating factor in) nighttime burglary runs. They can and will blindside you but good when you're trying to prowl around in the dark - if I remember right, they're outright invisible below a certain light level, so even if you have low light vision or light amplification or whatever, they'll seem to pop out of nowhere in melee range if you're not carrying an active light source. They seem to be really slow though, so you can usually outrun them if you aren't surrounded, cornered, or on the verge of dying.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah, they aren't particularly dangerous as long as you haven't been punched through a wall by a hulk or something. They can be iffy on the first night but I managed to see them off with a butcher's knife and a little gumption.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Artificer posted:

I wish NPCs and survivors were more robust in this game. Piecing up bits of society back together would be charming and fun.

That's a problem I have with the Fallout games. "Okay, 84 years since the bombs fell, starting to get a semblance of civilization, nice progress, keep it up." "Okay, 210 years people. Nothing's changed, get your poo poo together. I literally built myself a lovely seaside town with poo poo I picked up off the ground"

The player character should not be the only one capable of building cool poo poo in games with cool poo poo building components to them.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is there anyway to get power somewhere other than daisy chain frames from a outside solar array into a building?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Run an engine with a alternator or generator over a battery. But that's slower and burns fuel. Or a foot crank instead of engine, but that's way slower and you can't do anything else while charging it.