Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, they had to get their bioweapon alterations somewhere. it isn't like they cooked it up in a meth lab, or that their particular weird poo poo is natural unlike every other weird poo poo in the setting. even las plagas had to be artificially spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, they had to get their bioweapon alterations somewhere. it isn't like they cooked it up in a meth lab, or that their particular weird poo poo is natural unlike every other weird poo poo in the setting. even las plagas had to be artificially spread.

Man, it would be the best plot twist ever if they created the X Virus in a meth lab by accident.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I hope not, the backwoods hillbilly death cult has been out of fashion for long enough that it is now way more effective than yet another dumb sci-fi plot.

Well, there is obviously some sort of umbrella connection, but I hope they are just nuts that happened to stumble into umbrella somehow vs them being some part of a secret experiment or whatever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

veni veni veni posted:

Well, there is obviously some sort of umbrella connection, but I hope they are just nuts that happened to stumble into umbrella somehow vs them being some part of a secret experiment or whatever.

That is what I mean, yeah. Basically I hope that the basement doesn't end in an elevator to a sprawling laboratory complex like all the other REs

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The picture of the umbrella helicopter implies Umbrella's spying on them, so that whole accidental virus in their meth lab thing is something I think might be the case.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah they don't seem to be buddy buddy with umbrella by any means. Odds are the mold monster is an umbrella experiment that got loose or Umbrella is spying on them to learn more about the mold monsters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also I'd bet 5 bux that the "ghost" is some sort of psychic experiment girl like in FEAR.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm just glad that RE7 is coming out on PC if for no other reason than I'm sure it would be possible to mod in this song to play whenever the Baker family viciously murder someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH0_XfxnXWI

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
My theory is that the bakers are experimental lucid tyrants who can herd, propagate and control lesser bio weapons such as the moulded.

The older male baker is just like the tyrant in resident evil 2 down to the pale skin, freak strength and wall smashing.

They don't realize what's happened to them but their behavior instinctively turned the way it is.

Another very interesting point to note is the true ending - police investigated the house and found zero evidence. They also dismissed the escapee because lsd was planted on him. Whatever is happening, it's being very highly, effectively and professionally covered up. It wasn't the bakers who cleaned that disgusting bathroom up.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 20, 2016

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Hey Capcom, returning to the series roots is good and all but bad controls is something I had hoped we had left behind.

Seriously though, I think something broke with the install since pressing reset to default gives me a reasonable set of keys, but only in the options menu. During actual play it seems to be a third set of controls where A/W is forward/back and 4/S is left/right. The controller works without any problems. I'll have to verify file integrity later.

Hel fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 20, 2016

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My theory is that the bakers are experimental lucid tyrants who can herd, propagate and control lesser bio weapons such as the moulded.

The older male baker is just like the tyrant in resident evil 2 down to the pale skin, freak strength and wall smashing.

They don't realize what's happened to them but their behavior instinctively turned the way it is.

Another very interesting point to note is the true ending - police investigated the house and found zero evidence. They also dismissed the escapee because lsd was planted on him. Whatever is happening, it's being very highly, effectively and professionally covered up. It wasn't the bakers who cleaned that disgusting bathroom up.

It feels like this would have to be a major bullshit conspiracy just to hush up the black helicopter labeled with the umbrella logo flying around. Reporting something like that at this point in the timeline that would have a couple of the usual suspects, and a special forces team to get massacred in advance of them, all over that swamp in a day.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Actually now that I think about it the Bakers definetly have some T-Virus poo poo or something similar going on, because in that video of the boss fight with whats-his-face he gets shot in the head and says something about how "bullets don't hurt him now" or something along those lines and proceeds to become a bullet sponge..

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

Actually now that I think about it the Bakers definetly have some T-Virus poo poo or something similar going on, because in that video of the boss fight with whats-his-face he gets shot in the head and says something about how "bullets don't hurt him now" or something along those lines and proceeds to become a bullet sponge..

Wouldn't it be more of a plaga?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Something along those lines, sure. I just mean they aren't just regular crazy rednecks like someone itt was hoping. There's definetly umbrella/mutation stuff going on.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

the exact quote is "Hehe, that gun is not gonna work the way you think it will!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mp9oHxEzv4&t=157s

but yeah they definitely ate some of the t-virus mark 2 or w/e

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Squatting in a seemingly abandoned country house in rural Kentucky, some hillbillies setting up a meth lab stumble upon a secret basement laboratory chamber. In it, they discover a vile mutation that has been festering with an ever evolving strain of virus that has been stewing since the late '90s -- the corpse of Steve Burnside...

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm going to bet that Ethan is an ex-Umbrella employee and the Bakers could possibly be failed experiments getting revenge on Ethan. I say this because I just noticed something in Resident Evil 5.

http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Ethan_W.

The protagonist of Resident Evil 7 is called Ethan Winters. Now normally I'd call this a coincidence, but then I remember Resident Evil 5 namedropped Alex Wesker as well and Revelations 2 was centered around her.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
if anyone is getting crashes like myself from the demo, wbacon (capcom dude) just confirmed the demo (and i guess the main game) is getting patched, so yay for dipshits like myself who don't want to upgrade their 6 year old cpu/motherboard/win7 just yet but still throw 8gig of ram and a r9 380 in their rigs because who doesn't love bottlenecks*

http://steamcommunity.com/app/418370/discussions/0/152392549354995616/

quote:

Demo Patch
Hi everyone,

We've been monitoring user feedback on the forums and have noted that customers with older CPU models that lack support for SSE4.x are experiencing launch and crashing issues. (e.g., Intel Core2 series, AMD Phenom II and earlier)

While we don't have a specific ETA at this time, the Dev team is looking to address this in an upcoming patch. We'll share more info as we make progress on this front.

Thanks for your patience and please stay tuned for an update.

*this post is sarcasm. tho then again, the bottleneck isn't that bad, i can still max out witcher 3 at 60fps. so thank you for reading.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 21, 2016

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm going to bet that Ethan is an ex-Umbrella employee and the Bakers could possibly be failed experiments getting revenge on Ethan. I say this because I just noticed something in Resident Evil 5.

http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Ethan_W.

The protagonist of Resident Evil 7 is called Ethan Winters. Now normally I'd call this a coincidence, but then I remember Resident Evil 5 namedropped Alex Wesker as well and Revelations 2 was centered around her.

oh poo poo. then again, didn't this spencer taking him out thing, happen in the 50's or something? re7 ethan could be his son or maybe the same dude but he took a flower turned into some kind of human looking tyrant. like the bakers. hmmmmm.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 21, 2016

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the pc demo just got datamined and got a whole lot of full game poo poo, weapons, items, other monsters, locations and even the last boss are mentioned. despite capcom saying they were delaying the pc demo to remove stuff to avoid a data mine makes me think alot of this poo poo is misdirection.

if you want to be spoiled check this out https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/5jjcwa/resident_evil_7_demo_data_mine/

the name of the last boss is making me think its full on misdirection. but then again, knowing this series... lastbossALBERT

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 21, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
They're growing the Wesker plant.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I hope it's misdirection, it would be drat weird to bring back Al without Chris around to style on. Didn't Capcom have someone say in an interview they were going to avoid leaning on the old cast?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

In the case of Capcom the phrase "never chalk up to cleverness when incompetence can cover" springs to mind, but I also hope it is misdirection.

I will never understand why anyone would datamine a horror game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Caidin posted:

I hope it's misdirection, it would be drat weird to bring back Al without Chris around to style on. Didn't Capcom have someone say in an interview they were going to avoid leaning on the old cast?

well, there was a "leak" and some rumours about chris coming back, and also jessica but the leak got deleted from reddit and it was the typical "i work for capcom but they laid everyone off so i'm going to spoil a bunch of poo poo" type bullshit. there is a youtube video somewhere that still has it but i dunno, some of the poo poo from the leak contradicts the data mine too.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Lunethex posted:

They're growing the Wesker plant.

I sincerely hope that such a final boss battle would look something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rS1UYYiytw&t=403s

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It seems like there's a reference to Clancy in some of that code. This would line up with the rumors about the VHS from the demo showing up in the main game.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I'm finally able to try the demo on my PC, and it doesn't do anything.

Steam says it's launching the demo, that window goes away and nothing else happens. I verified the integrity of my files, and everything seems good. I'm not on a dirt old CPU with no support for SSE4.x either.

Has anyone run into this and fixed it? I don't see anything on the Steam forums.

Edit: Trying to run re7trial.exe manually says that it can't start because MFPlat.DLL is missing? Is that something that should have been installed on the first run of the game?

Edit 2: I guess this error probably has something to do with my computer getting messed up. I don't do anything but Steam and zdoom, so what the gently caress?

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 21, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mogomra posted:

I'm finally able to try the demo on my PC, and it doesn't do anything.

Steam says it's launching the demo, that window goes away and nothing else happens. I verified the integrity of my files, and everything seems good. I'm not on a dirt old CPU with no support for SSE4.x either.

Has anyone run into this and fixed it? I don't see anything on the Steam forums.

Edit: Trying to run re7trial.exe manually says that it can't start because MFPlat.DLL is missing? Is that something that should have been installed on the first run of the game?

Which version of Windows are you on? Is it an N version? On Windows 7 or 8, download the Media Feature pack. If you're on Windows 10, update Windows 10.

Windows 7 N - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16546
Windows 8 N/KN - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30685
Windows 8.1 N/KN - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40744
Windows 8.1 N/KN Update - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42503
Windows 10 N/KN - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Which version of Windows are you on? Is it an N version? On Windows 7 or 8, download the Media Feature pack. If you're on Windows 10, update Windows 10.

Windows 7 N - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16546
Windows 8 N/KN - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30685
Windows 8.1 N/KN - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40744
Windows 8.1 N/KN Update - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42503
Windows 10 N/KN - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48231

It is N, and I swear I've done that already, but thanks for jogging my memory. I'll try it.

Edit: This did the trick, thanks!

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 21, 2016

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That is what I mean, yeah. Basically I hope that the basement doesn't end in an elevator to a sprawling laboratory complex like all the other REs

If you think this resident evil game isn't going to a lab at some point I have no loving idea what to tell you lol.
Revelations 1 doesn't have a lab I think.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Nah, One of the ship decks had a secret lab on it you go to. There will be a lab.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I want to explore the lab in VR anyways.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I haven't played the demo yet, but just curious if it's known whether this really is the "beginning hour" of the game, this being a portion of the finished game?

Also I saw on the RE wiki for Ethan (unsourced) that the developer Masachika Kawata said Ethan is not who you play in the demo. Is this accurate?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Heavy Metal posted:

I haven't played the demo yet, but just curious if it's known whether this really is the "beginning hour" of the game, this being a portion of the finished game?

Also I saw on the RE wiki for Ethan (unsourced) that the developer Masachika Kawata said Ethan is not who you play in the demo. Is this accurate?
The demo is its own separate mini-story, separate from the main game. Think what P.T. would have been to Silent Hills.

I assumed the character you (Mostly) play as in the demo with Ethan, but I guess we don't actually know that and there's nothing that really identifies who he is.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Heavy Metal posted:

I think devs have said that the stuff with the redneck family is Chapter 3 of the game. What we've seen gives you the feel of it but is not the same map.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Backhand posted:

I sincerely hope that such a final boss battle would look something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rS1UYYiytw&t=403s

The Wesker Planet :eyepop:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

data mine reveals what might be the first set of dlc and unlocks for finishing the game.

"Details on the first DLC for RE7, the 'four short stories' DLC (not the 2 campaign chapter DLCs). Seems to be a collection of minigame type things. No info in the data about the two later DLCs (probably as they haven't started development yet).

DLC 1-1: A puzzle-focused gameplay chapter where it seems you answer riddles and other types of puzzles. Almost seems entirely puzzle focused.

DLC 1-2: A card game? Apparently some card game you can play either in a story mode way or an endless mode with some type of reward you get. Specifics not clear, but includes mechanics like bluff, and some sort of in-game droppable based on your performance.

DLC 1-3: Wave-Based Survival Mode. seems to have multiple stages, and 10 waves for each map.

DLC 1-4: A proper miniature story chapter with you in a place with Lucas it seems. Also seems to have three endings based on something you do in this chapter."

Unlock Rewards for beating the game

-Cleared Casual
-Cleared Normal
-Cleared Casual or Normal
-Cleared Hard
-Unlocked Destroy Mr EveryWhere
-Unlocked Time Attack
-Unlocked Birthday
-Unlocked Hard
-Unlocked TU2

no idea what any of that is. probably your typical battle mode

hope the card game dlc is like gwent and you play with the molded.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

frank.club posted:

If you think this resident evil game isn't going to a lab at some point I have no loving idea what to tell you lol.
Revelations 1 doesn't have a lab I think.

I hope 7's lab is literally just a ramshackle meth lab.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwKRTO93Y2w

I enjoy leon keep on brand by pissing off chris for no real reason, he probably knows leon was in the better games.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
RE7's lab