Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

NoDamage posted:

Am I the only one that thought Person of Interest peaked around season 3 and then started slipping downhill from there? Especially season 5 felt like they were playing with grandiose storylines and not really managing to pull it off that well.

Almost everything to do with Samaritan was bad. The show took a nosedive for me at the exact moment of Shaw getting shot, because of how dumb that scene was. All of the worst moments in the show happened after that (or magic computer child, I can't remember which was first).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

edit: I've just finished Westworld and thought it was great. Also saw the last Walking Dead which I feel is a garbage show that likes to pick up every once in a while just to get garbage again, so that left a bitter taste in my mouth. Are there any other shows people would recommend? I'll just list shows I've enjoyed that I can remember. The Wire, Westworld, Lost, Fringe, Justified, The Shield, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Dexter(early seasons but I thought the last ones were still watchable at least) Gotham,6 Feet Under, Deadwood, 4400,Sens8, BSG, really any of the really popular stuff I've probably already seen which is why I'm getting desperate here.
Gomorra(h), the TV series. I think it's on Sundance TV in the US, the Blurays are available, and it's really good. Basically The Wire crossed with Goodfellas or Godfather. Really high production values, lots of stuff happening. If it was an HBO show instead of Italian, then it would be hailed as the best of the year.

Don't worry if you've read the book or seen the movie, the TV series is a new and unrelated story.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What is it about CW shows that attracts psychos?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Binged through FX's Better Things. The wife and I absolutely loved it and could definitely relate to some stuff what with our 3 girls (and 2 boys but who cares about those jackasses) and all. Pamela Adlon is terrific (and cute as all hell) and while Louis CK's fingerprints are clearly visible, it's definitely her show. Had to rewind several times and close my eyes and imagine Bobby Hill delivering some of the lines which only made it better. Highly recommended!

isaboo fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 14, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Is there a like, dedicated thread for specificaly, shows that netflix started or bought out? It seems like it might streamline some thread clutter, and I haven't found a thread for most of their stuff.

Maybe BoJack needs its own thread for depressed autists or something, but the rest of them might very well work to be tossed into one place since they keep getting dumped out in binge format so nobody needs to spoil much maybe

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 17, 2016

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Most Netflix shows get their own thread unless only a couple of people are watching it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah that was the point

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I thought you meant as opposed to this thread. Seems needlessly detrimental to people that want to discuss particular shows, so just use your control panel to limit threads.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 17, 2016

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I just finished watching all of Haters Back Off. On the outside it looks like an easily forgettable quirky YA comedy but it actually has a lot more depth than what I was expecting. It has the charm of Napoleon Dynamite, if Napoleon Dynamite took place in the youtube age and if Napoleon were a lot more narcissistic and selfish. Each episode was more enjoyable than the last and the season finale was very satisfying. I recommend giving this show a view if quirky Napoleon Dynamite humor is your thang.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just finished the Sopranos and and and

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

codo27 posted:

Just finished the Sopranos and and and

And don't stop believing?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
My wife and I blew through the first five episodes of The OA and spent all day telling our friends to watch it. We just got done watching the final three episodes and are telling all those friends to never listen to our opinions about TV again.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

edit: I've just finished Westworld and thought it was great. Also saw the last Walking Dead which I feel is a garbage show that likes to pick up every once in a while just to get garbage again, so that left a bitter taste in my mouth. Are there any other shows people would recommend? I'll just list shows I've enjoyed that I can remember. The Wire, Westworld, Lost, Fringe, Justified, The Shield, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Dexter(early seasons but I thought the last ones were still watchable at least) Gotham,6 Feet Under, Deadwood, 4400,Sens8, BSG, really any of the really popular stuff I've probably already seen which is why I'm getting desperate here.

Maybe I should list what I'm considering watching instead. PoI obviously, iZombie, Marco Polo, Picking Supernatural season 9 back up(I enjoyed the earlier seasons) The Returned season 2(a good show but it puts of a vibe that's pretty depressing and I usually enjoy dark stuff too), I've tried to watch Babylon 5 but it's "cheapness" makes it hard to get into.

Terriers, Rome, Lie To Me, Oz.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Finished binge watching Killjoys. I loved Lost Girl but didn't give Killjoys a chance until now. It needs a few eps to get into the groove but it is a lot of cheesy sci-fi fun. it's what firefly should have been, campy futuristic western space adventures.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Based on its shortness (6 episodes, 30 minutes each) and its appearance on the AV Club's best TV of 2016 I decided to check out Fleabag. I've only watched the first two episodes but holy hell it is great. I'm watching it alone in a hotel and I've literally had to pause it multiple times for several minutes so that I could finish laughing at a joke before proceeding. It's dark and sad and all that, but good lord it is funny.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

tessiebee posted:

Finished binge watching Killjoys. I loved Lost Girl but didn't give Killjoys a chance until now. It needs a few eps to get into the groove but it is a lot of cheesy sci-fi fun. it's what firefly should have been, campy futuristic western space adventures.

:raise: How does any of those words not describe Firefly?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

pigdog posted:

Gomorra(h), the TV series. I think it's on Sundance TV in the US, the Blurays are available, and it's really good. Basically The Wire crossed with Goodfellas or Godfather. Really high production values, lots of stuff happening. If it was an HBO show instead of Italian, then it would be hailed as the best of the year.

Don't worry if you've read the book or seen the movie, the TV series is a new and unrelated story.

Ah, I forgot about that. I loved The Wire and liked Sopranos. This show should be right up my ally. Finding it was a little bit of a PITA though.

One question - is it hard to follow? I know The Wire was, but only for the fact it took a while to really understand all the characters and what was going on. Once it clicked, it wasn't tough at all. I'm afraid this might be the same, but worse since I'll be reading subtitles, although I generally do good with shows with english subs. I just haven't really watched one that on the level of The Wire.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Watched The OA. Great start, WTF ending. Best description I can think of without spoiling things is that it's like being invited to a party by a super attractive person, only to get there and learn that the party was an event organized by a direct selling company that specializes in homeopathic products.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I watched Westworld. This is the most I've enjoyed a season of TV since Breaking Bad. I thought it would be a long time before I found a show as exciting and as good as BB with high quality acting and cinematography. This has potential. I hope Evan Rachel Wood wins a Emmy and a Golden Globe.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Alpha Mayo posted:

That end scene was so good. The amount of little details in this series is staggering.

For example, The song that plays during Ford's final speech is "Exit Music (For a Film)" by Radiohead. This song, as the title suggests, was written for the film Romeo & Juliet. Romeo & Juliet is the source of the quote "these violent delights have violent ends"

It's kinda funny because they used the exact same song at the end of Person of Interest season 3 when Samaritan was activated and the team had to go underground.

Anyway, currently working my way through The Man in the High Castle season 2. Still interesting so far, even if the two leads, Joe and Juliana, are still the dullest characters in the show.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Ah, I forgot about that. I loved The Wire and liked Sopranos. This show should be right up my ally. Finding it was a little bit of a PITA though.

One question - is it hard to follow? I know The Wire was, but only for the fact it took a while to really understand all the characters and what was going on. Once it clicked, it wasn't tough at all. I'm afraid this might be the same, but worse since I'll be reading subtitles, although I generally do good with shows with english subs. I just haven't really watched one that on the level of The Wire.

The Wire crossed with Sopranos would probably be an even better description. I just hesitated to describe it as such because shamefully, I haven't really properly watched The Sopranos. It reminds me of The Wire a lot due to its realistic, unflinching portrayal of the mafia / drug business, but it's really about the gangsters (like I guess Sopranos) and the effect on community, not an investigation.

The only thing that I guess might be confusing is that in the very first episode, the ponytailed guy is a rival mob boss, and the thing in the first scenes is sending him a "message" to help with a negotiation. Other than that, there should be no problems following it. It's well directed and paced like a movie, and amazingly it keeps the pacing up pretty much for the whole two seasons.

It's difficult to find in the US because a remake of the show for the American market is in the works.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 20, 2016

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Almost finished American Horror Story Hotel, I'm actually enjoying it a lot more than I expected since it received universal bagging.

Woofcat
Nov 23, 2009
Now that Amazon Prime is in Canada I've been working my way through The Man in the High Castle. So far it's been stellar.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay I just finished watching Fleabag and good lord. Absolutely hilarious right up to the point where it was like a punch in the face. Still great television, but definitely go into it from a place where you're ready to have the rug jerked out from under you, rolled up, and then used to beat you until you cry.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Does Gomorrah get better after the first episode? I liked it fine, but honestly it hasn't really grabbed me the way The Wire and a few of my other favorite shows have. And I always see people saying it's on par with The Wire, or at least close to it. I'm guessing it just takes a bit to get going? A lot of the characters I was introduced too wound up getting killed off at the end.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Does Gomorrah get better after the first episode? I liked it fine, but honestly it hasn't really grabbed me the way The Wire and a few of my other favorite shows have. And I always see people saying it's on par with The Wire, or at least close to it. I'm guessing it just takes a bit to get going? A lot of the characters I was introduced too wound up getting killed off at the end.

It does, keep going

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

It does, keep going

Yeah, I just started up 2. Does this show follow anything from the cop's perspective as well, like The Wire? So far I'm enjoying the antics of the gently caress up son. I just got to the part where his father decided They had to kill the guy whose property the son defaced. I was expecting Peitro to be more angry with his son.

e: haha he made him drink his piss. Not sure if that's how I'd go about inspiring loyalty. In fact I'm a little suspicious Ciro may be the rat, because he seemed pissed at his father figure getting killed in the first episode

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 21, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Yeah, I just started up 2. Does this show follow anything from the cop's perspective as well, like The Wire? So far I'm enjoying the antics of the gently caress up son. I just got to the part where his father decided They had to kill the guy whose property the son defaced. I was expecting Peitro to be more angry with his son.

Nope, it all about the bad guys. I hated Genny at the beginning, but he really grows as a character later on

mystes
May 31, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Watched The OA. Great start, WTF ending. Best description I can think of without spoiling things is that it's like being invited to a party by a super attractive person, only to get there and learn that the party was an event organized by a direct selling company that specializes in homeopathic products.
Yes, it was a bit of a letdown. I'm slightly annoyed at whoever wrote it right now. I would definitely not recommend it to anyone ever under any circumstances.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 21, 2016

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
How I Met Your Mother, again. I have a somewhat unnatural love for this show, even the relationship drama.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Geekslinger posted:

And don't stop believing?

I'm a weird fucker who is totally skeptical of anything I cant see but yet you show me the cheesiest of slasher films and I cant sleep after. And series or even season finales of non-scary shows can make me unsettled. So when it ended the way it did, it kinda freaked me out. Then I get up to go to the bathroom, and as soon as I step into the hall, the light goes out.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I really like what people have to say about Person of Interest's serialized plot. I watched...I can't remember, let's say the first 10 episodes. I like the characters but I can't stand procedural stuff for some reason. A little bit is fine as long as there is an ongoing story there. I really don't have the time to binge like 21 episodes or whatever the first season is. Since I already understand the concept of the show, could I just watch the finale of season 1, or are there a few must see episodes in there somewhere? Perhaps a season 1 recap I could read. That said, do the serial elements immediately pick up in season 2?

Maybe I should list what I'm considering watching instead. PoI obviously, iZombie, Marco Polo, Picking Supernatural season 9 back up(I enjoyed the earlier seasons) The Returned season 2(a good show but it puts of a vibe that's pretty depressing and I usually enjoy dark stuff too), I've tried to watch Babylon 5 but it's "cheapness" makes it hard to get into.

Put The Expanse on that list, if you're finding babylon 5 too dated and still want something to fill the hole it was supposed to fill. It's Game of Thrones set in the solar system a few hundred years from now.

It's mostly "hard" Sci-fi so there's no ftl or laser blasters or artificial gravity or magic inertia cancelling or anything like that, although there is a central mystery that I won't spoil which some viewers (myself not being one of them) found to be a bit dissapointing. I dont think disliking that would detract from the rest of what makes it so good, though, which is that it's a character driven political thriller with cool, mostly scientifically accurate action set pieces and a heavy dosage of noir styling on the side.

Season 2 starts in a month or two and I would recommend waiting to binge them both because, like Game of Thrones, the first season contains a lot of setting up the pieces and ends shortly after things begin to kick up a couple of notches.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

Okay I just finished watching Fleabag and good lord. Absolutely hilarious right up to the point where it was like a punch in the face. Still great television, but definitely go into it from a place where you're ready to have the rug jerked out from under you, rolled up, and then used to beat you until you cry.

I described it to someone as "imagine if Louie or Always Sunny was secretly planning to utterly emotionally destroy you"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It started out as a play. I wonder what it is like.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Cactus posted:

Put The Expanse on that list, if you're finding babylon 5 too dated and still want something to fill the hole it was supposed to fill. It's Game of Thrones set in the solar system a few hundred years from now.

It's mostly "hard" Sci-fi so there's no ftl or laser blasters or artificial gravity or magic inertia cancelling or anything like that, although there is a central mystery that I won't spoil which some viewers (myself not being one of them) found to be a bit dissapointing. I dont think disliking that would detract from the rest of what makes it so good, though, which is that it's a character driven political thriller with cool, mostly scientifically accurate action set pieces and a heavy dosage of noir styling on the side.

Season 2 starts in a month or two and I would recommend waiting to binge them both because, like Game of Thrones, the first season contains a lot of setting up the pieces and ends shortly after things begin to kick up a couple of notches.

Seen it, liked it. I've read the first two books. Need to read the others but here lately I've been working a ton and since I normally read before bed, I find myself falling asleep really quickly so I don't make as much progress. I've been reading the first two hyperion books and it's taken me like 2 months to get halfway through the second one.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

showbiz_liz posted:

I described it to someone as "imagine if Louie or Always Sunny was secretly planning to utterly emotionally destroy you"

Pretty frickin' accurate.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Seen it, liked it. I've read the first two books. Need to read the others but here lately I've been working a ton and since I normally read before bed, I find myself falling asleep really quickly so I don't make as much progress. I've been reading the first two hyperion books and it's taken me like 2 months to get halfway through the second one.

I started the second book a while back but have since been distracted off it by the Three Body Problem.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Watching The Good Place now. Cute, fun, not mind-blowing but hey I'm still watching it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

showbiz_liz posted:

I watched the first... maybe four episodes? and I just could not get into it. It felt like a show for kids, in the way that something like Adventure Time or Gravity Falls didn't. When would you say it gets really good? I might give it another try at some point since a lot of people seem to really dig it. (I guess I also felt the same way about Avatar at first, and then it got awesome...)

Episode 9. Tiger Millionaire. Watch through then and if it doesn't catch you by then, then it will probably wind up not for you.

That said, the actual "plot" starts around episode 24-ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Adam and Joe Show

It's British, from the mid 90's, on a very low budget and in many ways quite knaff but goddam does it take me back to my childhood.