Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The main character's haircut is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There are plenty of human antagonists too though? Maybe not the final boss or anything but like various lackeys, thieves, Dhoulmagus.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prism posted:

Antagonist, not protagonist.

Me reed gud.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I could see us not getting the PS4 version more than us not getting the 3DS version, if Nintendo has to step in to get the games localized at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
DQ Heroes did unexpectedly well on PS4 (hence why we're getting the second one!) so I'd be insanely shocked if we don't get both versions.

Dragon Quest XI: The Biggerest Anime?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If spin offs like Builders and Heroes 1/2 are getting localized it would be legitimately surprising if the next main line entry isn't localized.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I really like how the NPC dialogue constantly updates in DQ7. It'd be real dumb if no one was reacting to all these islands popping back up. Helps the world feel actually alive and worth restoring.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

huh, so the primary antagonists for at least part of the game are human. that's quite a change of pace for dq.

A bit like 8 in that regard.

Crabtree posted:

Trailer's got some hints of Final Fantasy in it, but the game still looks dragon quest as gently caress. SE is loving evil for making me want to have both retrotastic 3DS and gorgeous 3D PS4 over world.

What are the odds the Switch will have both?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Decus posted:

I could see us not getting the PS4 version more than us not getting the 3DS version, if Nintendo has to step in to get the games localized at all.

It tales Square forever to do anything and the 3DS is in its twilight years - if they can't release DQ11 3DS in English next year, it's cooked.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

android 17

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

aside from the flashback where he stole the staff, dhoulmagus was worn like a suit. he might have had a motivation to kill the guy in the first town, but from then on rhapthorne was 100% calling the shots. i guess i'm quibbling about trivial bullshit (again) but i wouldn't really call a guy possessed and completely controlled by a demon human. heck, the party caught up with him exactly twice and the second time he grew wings and horns.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

aside from the flashback where he stole the staff, dhoulmagus was worn like a suit. he might have had a motivation to kill the guy in the first town, but from then on rhapthorne was 100% calling the shots. i guess i'm quibbling about trivial bullshit (again) but i wouldn't really call a guy possessed and completely controlled by a demon human. heck, the party caught up with him exactly twice and the second time he grew wings and horns.

There were human villains other than the main one, with a stronger personal connection to the cast. Martello was the big one. That's the vibe I got from the trailer. Yeah, obviously the final boss will be Satan, but evil humans as intermediate villains who have personality and motivation isn't a new thing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Bongo Bill posted:

Are you saying that we would... SWITCH between the two modes?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Decus posted:

The fact that they're making a PS4 version means it's pretty much guaranteed to get an English release.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

started playing builders today and i cant put it down. my only other experience in this franchise is dragon warrior 1 for nes. if the other games are even 70% as fun as this game, i'll be busy for awhile.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

What like you could switch between them or emulator stuff?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

swampcow posted:

started playing builders today and i cant put it down. my only other experience in this franchise is dragon warrior 1 for nes. if the other games are even 70% as fun as this game, i'll be busy for awhile.

my personal recommendations if you are just getting in are
Dragon quest heros rocket slime (DS)
Dragon quest hereos the world tree's woe and the blight below (ps4/pc)
Dragon quest V (DS)
Dragon quest VIII (3ds next month/ps2)

but dq is a really easy series to get into so enjoy

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

He looks so bland he might as well have come out of a character creator

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

swampcow posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of menu-based exploration!

NAh but for real, Builders is very good, if you don't want to jump right into the RPGs I'd recommend DQ:Heroes as it is very cool and cute and fun.

On your descent into Toriyamaland continues, don't neglect DQ Monsters. Even the first 2 games in it (both got localized for the Game Boy Color) are very very good, in fact I'd say they're way better "monster collecter" games than most Pokemon entries.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He looks so bland he might as well have come out of a character creator

Please don't speak ill of fantasy Trunks.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I desperately hope I can give him a hat, because his hair truly is awful.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I want to be best friends with claw merchant and acrobat dude.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Prism posted:

Antagonist, not protagonist.

Although, 8 did start out with a human antagonist. The real bad guy may have been something else, but that dude knew what he was getting into when he nabbed the staff.

Edit: gently caress that post was from a page ago

Hyedum fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 18, 2016

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

swampcow posted:

Dragon Warrior/Quest Monsters 1 and 2 for the GBC are my favorite games in the series. Toriyama's artwork is too adorable, and I always found myself wanting to befriend monsters rather than kill them. DWM gives you that option, allowing you to lead a team of three monsters into battle in a solid mix between classic Dragon Quest gameplay and Pokemon style catch and train, with every area being a procedurally generated maze. DWM2 even has the Magic Key gimmick with the procedurally generated system now being entire worlds that allow you to keep playing as long as you want, exploring really cool landscapes and giving you new dungeons to battle in, while the main storyline has set worlds with set locations and quests making it even more like a classic Dragon Quest game. After that you get Caravan Heart and DQM Joker, which I know nothing about those games, but if they are anything like the first two I'm sure they're absolutely solid.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Skunkrocker posted:

Dragon Warrior/Quest Monsters 1 and 2 for the GBC are my favorite games in the series. Toriyama's artwork is too adorable, and I always found myself wanting to befriend monsters rather than kill them. DWM gives you that option, allowing you to lead a team of three monsters into battle in a solid mix between classic Dragon Quest gameplay and Pokemon style catch and train, with every area being a procedurally generated maze. DWM2 even has the Magic Key gimmick with the procedurally generated system now being entire worlds that allow you to keep playing as long as you want, exploring really cool landscapes and giving you new dungeons to battle in, while the main storyline has set worlds with set locations and quests making it even more like a classic Dragon Quest game. After that you get Caravan Heart and DQM Joker, which I know nothing about those games, but if they are anything like the first two I'm sure they're absolutely solid.

I'm playing through my copy of DQM2 for 3DS now, and I still think it's the best DQM game, whether it's the original or the remake. You can scream at monsters on the overworld to make them run away and grab any items they drop. Or dance to make any monsters near you start dancing, and if you get into battle with them, all the enemies will spend the first turn dancing.

You also get to make this "Montona" thing at the start of a new file, which is a ???-category monster. The options for appearance are "everything a little kid would think is cool," and you can determine its skills and stat growth, too. So now I have a floating Slime princess with a ponytail, purple pegasus, a bunch of floating weapons, and ridiculously flashy attack animations. This is my Original Character, copyright me, her mom is a dragon and she's invincible and everyone likes her. :3:

What I'm saying is that I hope a fan translation comes out for DQM2 3DS too.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

How Ingratiating! posted:

I'm playing through my copy of DQM2 for 3DS now, and I still think it's the best DQM game, whether it's the original or the remake. You can scream at monsters on the overworld to make them run away and grab any items they drop. Or dance to make any monsters near you start dancing, and if you get into battle with them, all the enemies will spend the first turn dancing.

You also get to make this "Montona" thing at the start of a new file, which is a ???-category monster. The options for appearance are "everything a little kid would think is cool," and you can determine its skills and stat growth, too. So now I have a floating Slime princess with a ponytail, purple pegasus, a bunch of floating weapons, and ridiculously flashy attack animations. This is my Original Character, copyright me, her mom is a dragon and she's invincible and everyone likes her. :3:

What I'm saying is that I hope a fan translation comes out for DQM2 3DS too.

Yeah DQM2 on 3DS is an amazing game. There's rumours of a fan translation coming for that one too, but in the meantime there's a decent FAQ on GameFAQs that has tons of info and menu translations. So anyone with a Japanese 3DS or a homebrew-capable one from elsewhere, don't be afraid to give it a go! It's a blast and totally playable with the FAQ even if you don't know a lick of Japanese.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

was joker or joker 2 on ds any good?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Real hurthling! posted:

was joker or joker 2 on ds any good?

Joker is ok but aged poorly.

Joker 2 is good, Joker 2 pro is really good but the translation is limited to skills/monster names/items really.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

How is DQM 1+2 for ps1? Is there a good fan translation? I was looking at it and the sprite work looks incredible

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Ludwig van Halen posted:

How is DQM 1+2 for ps1? Is there a good fan translation? I was looking at it and the sprite work looks incredible

I played that one. It's great, and came out before Joker added a bunch of convoluted mechanics, so it's more faithful to the GB DQMs. But I don't think the fan translation efforts were ever finished. Apparently DQM 1+2 is a programming nightmare.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like Joker but it's like really grindy as gently caress

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I remember seeing a spreadsheet somewhere with details on all the dq7 dlc. Anyone have that on hand?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
There are two lucky panel games in Buchannan. Do they have the same prizes?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Okay, how the gently caress are you supposed to beat the icey Goopi hand thing in Galenholm in Builders?
- All three of the Kol barbarians are carrying wooden hammers that do no damage to it. (Last battle they had Hela Hammers what the gently caress)
- The ice Demons keep respawning
- The ice Demons keep casting Heal on it.
- You can't get close to it, Sizz Shots do nothing, and the Magic Cannon shoots through it's body and does no damage in the process.
- The "awesome" magic weapons I made are only doing very little damage to it compared to when I fought it in Kol
- It keeps knocking me away
- I have run out of healing items twice now and now can't make any more, there are no more nearby resources.

This is such a bullshit fight. You all complained about the Golem fight, that was easy. Hades Condor was easy. This is complete bullshit! How the gently caress are you supposed to do this? I can't restart "before the battle" with the battles scripted at your actual base, so if I die I lose all this progress. I've been on this fight since NOON. ARGH. gently caress. Other four letter words.

So, yeah, is there a trick I'm not seeing? Am I suppose to make a flame sword or some such bullshit that the game didn't give the recipe for because I didn't collect enough lava blocks or something?

EDIT: OH OKAY IT'S SCORCHED EARTH RULES THE ONLY THING THAT COUNTS IS THE ACTUAL EXPLOSION FROM THE CANNONBALL WOW THAT'S loving WONDERFUL

Finished the battle in like twenty seconds once I discovered that. gently caress this chapter. The rest of the game is great, this chapter can suck the farts right out of my butt.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 21, 2016

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That fight and the killer robots near it were both awful. What I did after dealing with the killer robots was, I built a wall behind the hand and stood with the wall at my back so that the hand couldn't knock me back.

This works in the Hades Condor fight too, btw. Build a little overhang so that you hit the ceiling instead of getting knocked into the air, and you'll stay where you are instead of flying out of town.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He's not wrong though, the Golem was super easy and the Condor was much easier than people had said.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Yeah, once you figured out Golem's pattern he's really easy, the problem was knowing the pattern before going into battle. It's one of those "learn by dying" things. The only thing about the Condor is not knowing the ballista is supposed to be built on top of something so you line up the shot I mean once you figure that out it's the easiest fight in the game.

Both battles with the elemental giant Goopi hands you have before this one are fine because there aren't respawning enemies who heal it. Once I had the cannon in the right position I destroyed it almost instantly. loving game...

Also, Lyre of Slime Immemorial is the greatest thing ever. Too bad you can't build it in EVERY chapter. :smith:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm conflicted about chapter 3 because I love the villigers and turning my base into a multi-tower roller coster fort with a bath moat was rad, but the enemies are a relentless loving nuisance and even bringing along the strongman trio barely helps.

Chapter 2 was balls, but the falcon sword and crit boost ring with the +strength food massacres most things in like two swings. I haven't finished the game yet but I'm really hoping they throttle the monster aggro next chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Caidin posted:

Chapter 2 was balls, but the falcon sword and crit boost ring with the +strength food massacres most things in like two swings. I haven't finished the game yet but I'm really hoping they throttle the monster aggro next chapter.

I hope you like rock bombs in your base. Seriously, wall up ASAP and possibly even double-layer your castle walls.