Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

Can anyone point me to rules/conversion/how-to or whatnot for PDQ godgames? I've got the PDQ core freebie PDF from Atomic Sock Monkey, but I was wondering if there was something with more specific directions for a godgame, such as the ones that get run here. A friend mentioned he wanted to run a very godgame-like game with some friends and was debating a system, and I mentioned I'd heard of one (PDQ); I'd rather point him to something that's pretty "direct" in its usage."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
People use PDQ for godgames here because it's simple, generic and easily-modified for the purposes of their own game - each recruitment thread OP usually has a bunch of extra rules the GM's bolted on top to make the core system work well/at all for games where the characters can do more-or-less anything. If you want to run a godgame irl then you could look into Nobilis (that's a free rules summary - here are some example stories). Quite a few people here (including me) are also working on homebrew systems for different aspects of mythology, from celestial politics to divine drama, though they're in various stages of completeness.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

That is really good news to me, as I love mythology-themed games! Are they posting about it somewhere?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

erazure posted:

Can anyone point me to rules/conversion/how-to or whatnot for PDQ godgames? I've got the PDQ core freebie PDF from Atomic Sock Monkey, but I was wondering if there was something with more specific directions for a godgame, such as the ones that get run here. A friend mentioned he wanted to run a very godgame-like game with some friends and was debating a system, and I mentioned I'd heard of one (PDQ); I'd rather point him to something that's pretty "direct" in its usage."

I think Nobilis is probably your best bet aside from a variant PDQ. There are a bunch of different types of PDQ you can reskin or add rules to if you want to deal with issues like pacing, power creep, leveling, and combat but that takes some play-as-you-go experience. There's been a few games of it here on SA in the past but nothing in the last few years I think. It can be a little clunky to learn in the first place though.

You could also tell your friend to try the FATE system. That lends itself pretty well to a loosely narrative but still rules having mythology kind of game imo. I use PDQ for the reasons UnCO3 has stated, also I can't be arsed to write out character sheets for NPC deities with complex rules/prefer the loosely defined "God of X, does X things" common sense approach. It really depends on the kind of game you're looking for.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Gamerofthegame posted:

I hope you don't all intend on "weird" races. A few are certainly fine, natch, but part 2 might be a little weird if everyone involved doesn't even have a face. :v:

If by weird you mean great! Just make sure they have opposable thumbs or grasping tenticles to hold tools and put clothes on with and it'll be fine.

Or just have a race of sentient brains, that too.

Mindflayers when

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

erazure posted:

I don't know if there's any interest 4 months later, but I do happen to have a PDQ conversion that might work for you. It's a godgame in the sense that it's meant to be a system for playing Scion, but you could certainly turn up the dial on the scale of effects.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5dkSHCjlC_3Smc2XzlVdk9JdzQ

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I know I'm very, very late to this, but I just read through the whole of Breakfast Cult: Class A-3 and it was amazing. Mad props to everyone who was in it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Thanks! It was a lot of fun to play in as well.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

potatocubed posted:

I know I'm very, very late to this, but I just read through the whole of Breakfast Cult: Class A-3 and it was amazing. Mad props to everyone who was in it.

Hell yeah.

And one of the best parts is that if you check out the [url=http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/182520/Breakfast-Cult]full official sourcebook[/source] is that Laura and a bunch of other cool BCult peeps are in it as canon characters.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I should probably post in it since it's literally one post away from being complete and has been for months :shobon:

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

erazure posted:

Both microscope and kingdom by Ben Robbins are well suited to age-spanning epics. These games will direct your players at the right kinds of experience with the least amount of effort.

The God games I've played here on SA that used PDQ worked best when the players had a good (or instinctive) understanding of their archetypes and the narrative arc of divine plays.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Enjoying reading the Savage Rifts "Ley Line Blues" thing by Alien Rope Burn & Co. It's been probably a decade since I last GM'd anything with local friends because of life and work making it such a hassle.

Always thought the classic Palladium system needed a big fat injection of house rules to really work so seeing it run (officially) on another set of mechanics is fascinating. I'll probably buy the full rule set from Pinnacle once it's done just for my own interest.

You picked a good general adventure location geographically. Not much you can't toss in there and work in naturally.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

DancingShade posted:

Enjoying reading the Savage Rifts "Ley Line Blues" thing by Alien Rope Burn & Co. It's been probably a decade since I last GM'd anything with local friends because of life and work making it such a hassle.

Thanks a lot! This is my first PbP (if far from my first gamemaster rodeo) so I'm glad to hear it.

But yeah, I aimed for the Magic Zone because it's a pretty fun toybox and doesn't require a whole lot of conversion, and lets you play with all of the iconic elements. I avoided the new campaign setup they have (the Tomorrow Legion) because I thought it would be more interesting to just have PCs potentially building something of their own rather than propping up than somebody else's. That, and less Erin Tarn - I don't hate her per se, just her goofy writing the books, and I don't think she needs to be boss of the PCs. South America is probably my favorite corner of the setting but it would take a lot of conversion to handle at this point. Maybe in the future!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

potatocubed posted:

Man I just read the whole thing in as few sittings as I could manage on your recommendation and loved it. My gaming group tends strictly towards the classic model of GM controlling the world while the PCs control their characters, and seeing in action a game with a more fluid definition of the game's narrative makes me wistful. And the characters! Jaded magical girl, gunslinger girl out of water, straight-man-Sebastian, Wuxia heroine in training, and (wonder of wonders) a cat man that was nyat so bad and even got pretty :3: on me. Fantastic NPCs too, I'd comment on them more but I'd honestly feel like I was spoilering a work of fiction, it ended up a page turner by the end.

Bikindok
May 3, 2012
I've been reading through The Prometheus Cycle thread, and just reached the part where the thread got overconfident, walked into a fusion bomb and got literally every character our PC cared about killed and currently appears to be playing a broken husk of a person. . It's not that it's necessarily bad writing, but I'm honestly just not up for that level of negativity/depression. The thread getting understandably salty isn't helping either. Can anyone who's kept reading indicate whether this new tone is a permanent shift? I was really enjoying the thread, but I think I might have to stop.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Bikindok posted:

I've been reading through The Prometheus Cycle thread, and just reached the part where the thread got overconfident, walked into a fusion bomb and got literally every character our PC cared about killed and currently appears to be playing a broken husk of a person. . It's not that it's necessarily bad writing, but I'm honestly just not up for that level of negativity/depression. The thread getting understandably salty isn't helping either. Can anyone who's kept reading indicate whether this new tone is a permanent shift? I was really enjoying the thread, but I think I might have to stop.

The tone certainly doesn't stay that dour forever, but the event is definitely foundational for stuff that comes afterwards. But yes, there is hope and laughter on the horizon, after a period of understandable sadness!

Bikindok
May 3, 2012

Birthday Oral posted:

The tone certainly doesn't stay that dour forever, but the event is definitely foundational for stuff that comes afterwards. But yes, there is hope and laughter on the horizon, after a period of understandable sadness!
Thanks for the advice. Pressed on until Amacita's execution before I had to stop. The author does a great job, but the direction votes take in that thread just sucks the fun right out of it for me. I'll have to look for something lighter.

Bikindok fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 2, 2016

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Man, I'm so far behind its like a daunting challenge, but I've really gotta try and catch up, if only so I can find out what horrible fate befalls the Puma Sisters.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Bikindok posted:

Thanks for the advice. Pressed on until Amacita's execution before I had to stop. The author does a great job, but the direction votes take in that thread just sucks the fun right out of it for me. I'll have to look for something lighter.

Read my Fragile Gods of Somewhere, then. It's a CYOA/Godgame mashup that's fully illustrated and the theme is so light the Gods are lording over cartoon turtles and cats. There's moments of darkness and bleakness, but overall it's light and silly.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Birthday Oral posted:

Read my Fragile Gods of Somewhere, then. It's a CYOA/Godgame mashup that's fully illustrated and the theme is so light the Gods are lording over cartoon turtles and cats. There's moments of darkness and bleakness, but overall it's light and silly.

This is a good and fun thread.

If you want something lighter in tone, really long, but still fairly serious than try Paradise Lost where you play a 10 foot tall muscle wizard involved in divine politics in inscrutable ways even he doesn't understand.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Birthday Oral posted:

There's moments of darkness and bleakness, but overall it's light and silly.

Hah! Moments he says.

As if that moment when an entire sub-species of cartoon cow man getting wiped out and the rest of the population decimated was just a moment.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What are some of the best threads to read through? No preference really, though I've been interested in seeing how the AW run.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well apparently this is not so much the peanut gallery as it is a place to pimp your own threads so anything with my name against it is pretty great

do you have any particular settings or systems in mind? Rules heavy, story-heavy?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've been enjoying reading Assault on the Mountains of Madness, despite usually being lukewarm on Lovecraft. It's a good thread.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

well apparently this is not so much the peanut gallery as it is a place to pimp your own threads so anything with my name against it is pretty great

do you have any particular settings or systems in mind? Rules heavy, story-heavy?

I'd like to check out a good AW or variant of it. I've read the barest descriptions of the system and have no idea how it works. 50/50 action and story is a good start.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

goodness posted:

I'd like to check out a good AW or variant of it. I've read the barest descriptions of the system and have no idea how it works. 50/50 action and story is a good start.

Any AW game by Captain Foo is a good start

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

goodness posted:

What are some of the best threads to read through? No preference really, though I've been interested in seeing how the AW run.
Mugrim World of Darkness games are always good, though I'm unaware if any have actually been finished.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Mugrim World of Darkness games are always good, though I'm unaware if any have actually been finished.

Well shucks, I'm blushing a bit.

And yeah, I never finished any. I think I had 2 that lasted six months to a year, and one that lasted well over a year, maybe two. The super long one's a bit weird. I wish there was a way to scrub threads and turn them into big rear end PDFs or something.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

mugrim posted:

Well shucks, I'm blushing a bit.
Your astronaut campaign's linked in the OP of the White Wolf thread for a reason dude

It's funny, I played Cataclysm the other day and my first thought was "this is basically that Mugrim campaign"

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Your astronaut campaign's linked in the OP of the White Wolf thread for a reason dude

I had no idea, I just checked it right now. That's pretty sweet.

The game was based on a long running series of nightmares I had and everyone in it gave stellar input and feedback so everyone else did a lot of the heavy lifting. Also, people were nice enough to guilt me into posting in slumps to keep it going.

Basic Chunnel posted:

It's funny, I played Cataclysm the other day and my first thought was "this is basically that Mugrim campaign"

I've never heard of it, is it good?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's great if you like roguelikes (frequent death, super granular details, steep learning curves, the works). Thread's here. Unfortunately I don't think there's a "crashed astronaut" starting kit. Yet.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Is asking "I have a cool idea for a Pbp, would goons here be interested?" okay, or is that get a ban like the LP sandcastle thread?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

Is asking "I have a cool idea for a Pbp, would goons here be interested?" okay, or is that get a ban like the LP sandcastle thread?

I've personally never seen anyone banned and I'm interested to see your idea, so you could go ahead and post here... or you could just post the thread and see what happens!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dog Kisser posted:

I've personally never seen anyone banned and I'm interested to see your idea, so you could go ahead and post here... or you could just post the thread and see what happens!

My idea is Rogue Trader meets Maid. An accident/assassination has resulted in a shy, inconspicuous teenage noble being thrust into the political spotlight as head of a powerful Rogue Trader Dynasty. His family's many enemies aren't going to make things easy for the young Lord-Captain, and his presumed allies are probably worse. Only the Dynasty's personal staff - who may or may not be embroiled in heresy and xenos-collusion - can guard the neophyte Rogue Trader long enough to achieve the greatness his ancestry demands. "In the Grim Darkness of the far future, there is only fan-service".

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

I don't think this thread moves fast enough to care, but if enough folks are interested I could make an interest check thread.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Honestly Ettin this thread has always been dead. A "Recommend me a thread to read" or a "Promote your favorite thread" thread (with a rule that you can't be a player in that thread to prevent self-plugging) might get more people talking.

I for one would like to know about some of the hidden gems that are in this forum, a lot of which are probably archived.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

SirPhoebos posted:

My idea is Rogue Trader meets Maid. An accident/assassination has resulted in a shy, inconspicuous teenage noble being thrust into the political spotlight as head of a powerful Rogue Trader Dynasty. His family's many enemies aren't going to make things easy for the young Lord-Captain, and his presumed allies are probably worse. Only the Dynasty's personal staff - who may or may not be embroiled in heresy and xenos-collusion - can guard the neophyte Rogue Trader long enough to achieve the greatness his ancestry demands. "In the Grim Darkness of the far future, there is only fan-service".

I'm pretty sure that's a straight Maid game with just more blatant IP collision than usual.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

My idea is Rogue Trader meets Maid

say no more

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a straight Maid game with just more blatant IP collision than usual.

One thing I would do is do a find-and-replace to switch any mention of "lolita" to "scrunt"

EDIT: another thing I would do is incorporate the random tables from RT into the game. For example every time you have a Stress Explosion you roll on either one of the crit tables or Psychic Disturbance table, and the result is incorporated into your character. This never kills you, even if the result blows your head off and/or sucks you into the Warp. When you have your next Stress Explosion, you have the option to retire all your previous results, although if you are really keen on roleplaying a pile of bloody ground beef you are free to do so.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SirPhoebos posted:

One thing I would do is do a find-and-replace to switch any mention of "lolita" to "scrunt"

Gothic Scrunt, Cool Scrunt, Heroine Scrunt, Scrunt Scrunt?