Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

id like to see his usb c port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I genuinely love my new Macbook Pro non-touchbar. The keyboard is excellent and in fact my favorite of any laptop I've ever used. I never plug anything into my laptop when I'm not at my desk. I feel like the price was totally fair and in line with alternatives. I also feel like I'm the only person in this thread who believes any of those statements!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just thought I'd give a quick update on my installation of a Seagate Laptop 1TB 2.5 inch 9.5mm SSHD on my 17" 2011 Macbook Pro I mentioned a couple of pages back.

Everything went perfectly! Swapped the old broken 500GB drive with the new one with the help of iFixit and installed Lion, then upgraded it to Sierra. Seems like saving myself ~AUD$600 on a real 1TB SSD might work out afterall, touch wood :)

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 22, 2016

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I got Duet Display for my iPad/MacBook yesterday and it'll show the TouchBar on the iPad even if you don't have a TouchBar MacBook. Pretty cool if you wanna test drive that stuff. The app is 10 bucks though.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Depends how much you like OS X, and what you like doing with your machine. For casual use, I would never want a Linux box personally, and I like to leave Windows as the OS I have in the workplace so it's not a hard choice for me. Plus having an iPhone I want all my services to work nicely while using Googles products as little as possible.

Kind of the same boat. Similar feelings about Windows. 10 is a big improvement, but for the dough, a used Mac is not too far off. Also, I love the idea of Linux, but the killer app for me would be recording, where it would be really nice if the OS can run Ableton or the software for my amp.

Any advice on the iMac vs. a Mini?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nitsuga posted:

Any advice on the iMac vs. a Mini?

A 2011 mini is going to cost you like what, $400?

The same year iMac is going to be the same price and you get a kickass 21.5" display for free

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hmm... would I take a noticeable hit with an i3 vs. the i5? Pretty low-key stuff for me, recording, maybe a Linux VM.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

nitsuga posted:

Hmm... would I take a noticeable hit with an i3 vs. the i5? Pretty low-key stuff for me, recording, maybe a Linux VM.

What year are you looking at? I tried pulling up the performance difference between an i3 and i5 on my mid-2011 model and I don't even see an i3 option available.

This is disconcerting. I don't know how reliable or 'realworld' Passmark benchmarks are, but my 2011 i5 Sandy Bridge scores 10% lower than the new i5 MBP. That i5 MBP benchmarks at 30% below my 2012 i7 MBP.

To be fair, Passmark hasn't put out official numbers yet and these are estimates by another group using similar methodologies. Still, I have a feeling I'll be keeping my current Mac's for a long, long time.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Is linking SA Mart kosher here? I've got a mid-2012 MBP that can be a really decent machine if you throw some more RAM and an SSD in it. Also feel free to critique my listing. I've been getting a lot of hits off Kijiji but people are being unreasonable, offering like 400 CAD, I might have to go to *shudder* eBay.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802557

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

clamiam45 posted:

I genuinely love my new Macbook Pro non-touchbar. The keyboard is excellent and in fact my favorite of any laptop I've ever used. I never plug anything into my laptop when I'm not at my desk. I feel like the price was totally fair and in line with alternatives. I also feel like I'm the only person in this thread who believes any of those statements!

You're not. I used a 15" Macbook Pro with touch bar for a month but I have had to switch back to a late-2013 15" retina Macbook Pro while I wait for a hardware replacement. My observations:
  • New keyboard is way better; the old one feels mushy now
  • I miss the larger trackpad
  • Magsafe is nicer to plug in but I also liked being able to plug power in on either side. I've never had magsafe save my laptop from being pulled off a table, so that's not an issue for me
  • I was using the touch bar enough that it's annoying not having it to move files around between folders, lock my screen, etc. I also prefer the volume and brightness sliders to mashing the keys repeatedly
  • Speakers are much better on the new laptops
  • I don't miss touch ID much because I use Watch auto-unlock
On balance, and despite everyone's whining, I greatly prefer the new Macbook Pro and hope my replacement arrives soon.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

What year are you looking at? I tried pulling up the performance difference between an i3 and i5 on my mid-2011 model and I don't even see an i3 option available.

This is disconcerting. I don't know how reliable or 'realworld' Passmark benchmarks are, but my 2011 i5 Sandy Bridge scores 10% lower than the new i5 MBP. That i5 MBP benchmarks at 30% below my 2012 i7 MBP.

To be fair, Passmark hasn't put out official numbers yet and these are estimates by another group using similar methodologies. Still, I have a feeling I'll be keeping my current Mac's for a long, long time.

I've found a couple 2011s that say i3 3.3, 3.2, or 3.1 GHz. I think Passmark scores are thought of as just an estimate and only an OK one at best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322364297873?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232162221457?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 22, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

Is linking SA Mart kosher here? I've got a mid-2012 MBP that can be a really decent machine if you throw some more RAM and an SSD in it. Also feel free to critique my listing. I've been getting a lot of hits off Kijiji but people are being unreasonable, offering like 400 CAD, I might have to go to *shudder* eBay.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802557

I swore off non-retina machines but I'd give you $500 US for it

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I swore off non-retina machines but I'd give you $500 US for it

That's kind of you but I can get at least 630-650 on eBay + shipping, even with the fees and hassle it'd be worth it for me to go that route. But I could do $600 + shipping just to get this over with.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pivo posted:

That's kind of you but I can get at least 630-650 on eBay + shipping, even with the fees and hassle it'd be worth it for me to go that route. But I could do $600 + shipping just to get this over with.

Hmm that's tempting.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Hmm that's tempting.

Welp, PM me if you want. If someone wants to buy it today, I can make sure it's in the mail tomorrow.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Zwille posted:

I got Duet Display for my iPad/MacBook yesterday and it'll show the TouchBar on the iPad even if you don't have a TouchBar MacBook. Pretty cool if you wanna test drive that stuff. The app is 10 bucks though.
Uh... how does that work when the Mac doesn't have the silo'd special dedicated chip and all that

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
If we're posting our Macs for sale in this thread now, and speaking of Mac Minis.. I've got a Mac Mini 2012 server that I still haven't sold: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796603

I really don't want to deal with eBay. Please give this best Mac Mini model of all time a good home.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

iSimian posted:

Any idea what I should do? Wait and see, or just get going on the jingle-jangle-dongle?
You said (AE + gaming) and "not heavy video" in the same breath, but you didn't mention any on the go all day battery needs. I honestly think you should get a $1600 ASUS ROG. Perfect for gaming/VR, has all ports, a PCIe SSD and an HDD, and flies in After Effects. CUDA, etc. Handles absolutely everything, can be put in a backpack. However, it is a bit bigger and the battery is less than half of a new MBP. But aside from battery, no sacrifices to your habits and all speed. Quad i7, 16GB RAM etc.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Linguica posted:

Uh... how does that work when the Mac doesn't have the silo'd special dedicated chip and all that

The same way that https://github.com/bikkelbroeders/TouchBarDemoApp works, I'd venture.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any thoughts on the i3 vs. the i5. It'd be a difference of $100 basically. Recording audio a little bit and running parallels or the like for school.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 23, 2016

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

nitsuga posted:

Any thoughts on the i3 vs. the i5. It'd be a difference of $100 basically. Recording audio a little bit and running parallels or the like for school.

Spring for the i5. It'll feel snappier for longer, get your encoding sorted faster, and generally is just the best performance for your buck.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ocrassus posted:

Spring for the i5. It'll feel snappier for longer, get your encoding sorted faster, and generally is just the best performance for your buck.

Yea - they are both only dual core + hyper threaded but the i5 is way faster plus you get the better video card. I used an i3 at work for a few years and it was anemic. Like a C2D on steroids

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Well, it's done. I'm getting an iMac (with a DVD drive)!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That DVD drive will break in a few weeks

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

http://www.consumerreports.org/laptops/macbook-pros-fail-to-earn-consumer-reports-recommendation/

I guess add Consumer Reports to the list of whiners. First Apple Macbooks to not receive a "recommend" rating from them.

Obviously when they get those "new battery" designs right in the next Macbook iteration, they'll claim, "INCREDIBLE BATTERY LIFE" that this year's model was suppose to have.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I genuinely wonder if it's a software issue. The latest iOS has totally wrecked battery life on my 6s+ along with many other people's phones. Maybe they hosed up big time on the software side in the last month or two.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I genuinely wonder if it's a software issue. The latest iOS has totally wrecked battery life on my 6s+ along with many other people's phones. Maybe they hosed up big time on the software side in the last month or two.

yes my iphone 6 plus suddenly drops battery quickly and has turned completely off when around ~30% twice for no apparent reason (other than being cold, but that doesn't really explain random shutdowns)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Strong Sauce posted:

yes my iphone 6 plus suddenly drops battery quickly and has turned completely off when around ~30% twice for no apparent reason (other than being cold, but that doesn't really explain random shutdowns)

Your battery is probably hosed. Take it to the store and they'll do a diagnostics on it that'll tell you what's up. Exactly same behavior as my 5 that was part of the battery recall.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's a software thing, people on 7+ to 5s are reporting the issue on 10,2

The Last Poet
Oct 9, 2001
Apple have a site up as theres known problems with 6s batteries. https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
Overall I'm enjoying my switch from a 15inch 2008 MBP to a 13 inch touch bar 2016 MBP. I actually really like the keyboard, and when I switch to my 08 to look for things it makes me realize how huge that old laptop is. This screen is very bright as well. The touchbar part after 1 day still feels mostly like a big gimmick, but I'll give it some time.

The only frustration is getting my old things I want over without all the clutter from an 8 year old laptop, but that's a software thing to deal with. Time machine migration was a hilariously bad idea with 8 years of junk on there and I ended up wiping and restarting from scratch.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Is a May 2015 rMBP15" still a solid buy? I haven't been in the hunt for a laptop real recently but now that I'm looking at the touchbar 15" rMBP, I'm sort of thinking twice about going in on that one.

This will be my first mac (I've had iPhones for years, we use AppleTV, have an iPad, etc. so I am a little familiar with the ecosystem, just never had anything but PC for actual computers).

The downsides of the touchbar seem like they are potential battery life, cool but gimmicky touchbar (my opinion, I'm sure I'd use it in practice and if someone gave me one I wouldn't turn it down etc), USB-C only.

The upsides of the May 2015 one seem to me that it may or may not have better battery life, has some extra ports I could see myself using occasionally (HDMI and SD), but obviously all the ports are slower. I mean when it comes down to it for the amount I would use SD or HDMI an external adapter would probably be fine. Oh and people seem to bemoan the loss of the magsafe that would be on the older model.

I've read a lot through the thread and while there is an immense amount of good information, I can't really separate the hyperbole from the facts on the new rMBP.

I guess my question is really whether there's anything I should know about the jump from a 2015 rMPB to the 2016 touchbar rMBP besides the superficial crap I already noted? I don't have a huge need to game on it so I'm not looking for bleeding-edge performance there. About the only thing I'd say is that (despite there maybe not being much out there at the moment) I'd like to be able to drive one or two external 4 or 5k displays at 60 Hz. I'm not really down to drop $2000 to do so right now, but as things change in the future maybe a few years down the road I'll grab one or two. The touchbar 2016 says it can do native screen plus 2x 5k if I'm reading right? The 2015 will do native screen plus 2x 4k? Just wanted to check it's 60 Hz and also make sure the use case for 2x 4k is not something stupid like hooking up the monitors to some breakout box that then consumes all the ports on the laptop or something dumb.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Battery life is ok on my 2015, anything more than web browsing and I plug it in because the i7 is a power hog. The dgpu obviously wipes out a battery if it's on. My point is if battery life is the bigger concern the 15 inch is always the worst of the apple line

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

uwaeve posted:

Is a May 2015 rMBP15" still a solid buy? I haven't been in the hunt for a laptop real recently but now that I'm looking at the touchbar 15" rMBP, I'm sort of thinking twice about going in on that one.

This will be my first mac (I've had iPhones for years, we use AppleTV, have an iPad, etc. so I am a little familiar with the ecosystem, just never had anything but PC for actual computers).

The downsides of the touchbar seem like they are potential battery life, cool but gimmicky touchbar (my opinion, I'm sure I'd use it in practice and if someone gave me one I wouldn't turn it down etc), USB-C only.

The upsides of the May 2015 one seem to me that it may or may not have better battery life, has some extra ports I could see myself using occasionally (HDMI and SD), but obviously all the ports are slower. I mean when it comes down to it for the amount I would use SD or HDMI an external adapter would probably be fine. Oh and people seem to bemoan the loss of the magsafe that would be on the older model.

I've read a lot through the thread and while there is an immense amount of good information, I can't really separate the hyperbole from the facts on the new rMBP.

I guess my question is really whether there's anything I should know about the jump from a 2015 rMPB to the 2016 touchbar rMBP besides the superficial crap I already noted? I don't have a huge need to game on it so I'm not looking for bleeding-edge performance there. About the only thing I'd say is that (despite there maybe not being much out there at the moment) I'd like to be able to drive one or two external 4 or 5k displays at 60 Hz. I'm not really down to drop $2000 to do so right now, but as things change in the future maybe a few years down the road I'll grab one or two. The touchbar 2016 says it can do native screen plus 2x 5k if I'm reading right? The 2015 will do native screen plus 2x 4k? Just wanted to check it's 60 Hz and also make sure the use case for 2x 4k is not something stupid like hooking up the monitors to some breakout box that then consumes all the ports on the laptop or something dumb.
Personally if you're transitioning from PC, go with the 2015 rMBP. You're going to have negligible performance difference between the 2015 and 2016, and the USB 3.0 ports on the 2015 means you can probably reuse a lot of any accessories you already own or use with your PC.

If you end up happy with the rMBP and OS X, then in a few years or so you can sell the 2015 for a good amount and pick up a new one with a refined Touch Bar and such. But the 2015 has two Thunderbolt 2.0 ports so I don't think driving a couple 4K displays in the future will be an issue.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
My late 2013 15" Retina Macbook Pro's power adapter is fraying at the edge near the power adapter, which means it is not long for this world. Is there an 85W Magsafe 2 third-party replacement that won’t explode out there or do I need to spend the $80 for a new Apple adapter? I assume there are no decent third-party replacements and they’re all garbage bootleg knockoffs, but I just want to be sure.

I guess $80 isn't too bad and I may as well hit up the local Apple Store right down the road sometime next week to see if they'll offer me a discounted repair. But I want to see what my options are before that.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Your battery is probably hosed. Take it to the store and they'll do a diagnostics on it that'll tell you what's up. Exactly same behavior as my 5 that was part of the battery recall.

i mean it could be, but this happened when i updated to new ios 10.1(?). feels they hosed up the software or something.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So is a 2011 Mac Mini with the Radeon dGPU worth $320?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
My first and only complaint about the AirPods - if I have the lightning cable plugged in to my monitor instead of one of the native ports it wakes my Mac Pro up from sleep.

It also wakes my Mac from sleep if I unplug the cable from the native port, so I'm assuming what's happening is that the monitor cuts power to the AirPods and that triggers my Mac to wake up. My monitor is a Dell and the USB is plugged in to an aftermarket USB 3.0 card anyways, so who knows what's "supposed" to happen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The main thing killing my interest in the AirPods is that they're supposed to sound the same as the normal EarPods. Those things are fine for bundled headphones, but I'd never even pay the $30 replacement costs for them let alone over $100 more for something that has equal sound quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
They're a bit better sound wise (same drivers, apparently, but the shape of the acoustic chamber is different). I spent a decent amount of time A/B'ing them (and I'm not an audiophile but I do have engineering credits on albums, know what truly good stuff is supposed to sound like, etc.) They also stay put better than the earpods due to no cable tugs, and while I never had a problem with the earpods hurting my ears my wife did, and she likes these for what it's worth.

They're totally good enough sound quality for the kinds of situations they're made for and the benefits of being 100% wireless is amazing. They're super impressive.