Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Tippis posted:

I love this bit of fiction a few layers up:

Yes. Pushing himself to make his game different from each other.

• WC
↓↳ WC2 (same game, but with more cutscenes)
↓      ↳ SC (same game, but with jet fighters)
↓      ↳ WC3 (same game, but with FMV)
↓      ↳ WC4 (same game but with… actually, just same game).
↳ WC:P (same game, but more like Elite)
       ↳ P2 (same game, but insane, and with FMV)
       ↳ Freelancer (same game but without FMV and insanity).

When the hell did Chris ever make a game different from each other? Wing Commander wasn't the same as Major Stryker, but that's about it.

Chris only worked on the franchise as far WC3

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

I thought Chris Roberts was interested in fidelity and realism. Who goes to sleep like they're living in Leave It To Beaver? If my Herculean ripped guy isn't going to sleep holding a phone or a tablet for 2 hours before finally going begrudgingly to sleep, this is junk.

Refactor this 1940's fake crap. Come on CIG guy reading this forum. Don't let this lack of realism slip under Chris' watchful nose!

Herculean ripped guy with someone else's thin little arms, legs that don't match and a black head and neck.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

That's a great graph since it shows that CIG isn't a competent game company by focusing on beta-stage work when they're still lagging far behind on the alpha and pre-alpha foundation needed to make that work… well… work. I don't expect that this was the point he was trying to make.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Chris only worked on the franchise as far WC3

He was a movie director for 4, and did almost nothing for 2, but like the Prophecies, it's usually connected with his name anyway. And you can bet your behind that whoever makes the “every game is different” argument will also believe that Chris has done all those games, so you'll need to address them in that context.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

Forget the Morrow tour.

I especially like the nose.
Clearly inspired by the Herald.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

Star Citizen: Criminals will be criminals, it's the idiots that worry me.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly this thread is the best Christmas present I could have ever asked for. I'm learning so much.

I am still waiting for reparations for @Salt4TheSaltGod subjecting my people to the Trail of Tears.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

That makes for a large dick.

Or a rather panoramic rear end.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Reading through that r/ds/ beer thread and this one post really stood out for me (Beer made other good ones too) because it loving blows the whole 'you just don't understand game development' bullshit out of the water with a resounding 'okay, no I don't understand it, now give me my loving game or my money back'. Well done Beer

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/5jjxcg/derek_smart_on_twitter_i_heard_that/dbhfqvx/

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Stupid Beer wanting a fun game. You toxic carebears thinking games are an diversion and an entertainment, not a time-consuming second job. HOW DARE YOU!

Jonny Nox posted:

Did I miss erotic spaceships somewhere? Or are you talking about the pencil sketches from awhile Ago?

Please this is very important

For a friend, amirite?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Fuzzy.

Point of order: WHY THE FARGEN [etc] WOULD YOU EVEN STORE SCORE AS A FLOAT?!

Maybe it's a double.
Maybe someone sed s/'d all uints and floats with doubles so they can tick off "Convert engine to 64 bit precision" in Basecamp.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Samizdata posted:

Stupid Beer wanting a fun game. You toxic carebears thinking games are an diversion and an entertainment, not a time-consuming second job. HOW DARE YOU!

Still wondering what combination of circumstances leads someone to think that I'm a carebear.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Starship Troopers is an excellent movie. It's not better than the book.

Geez, no wonder you're the cause of all the problems with SC, having an opinion like that....

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

I am going to judge the intelligence of people who spent 5 figures on Star Citizen and there's nothing you can do to stop me :colbert:

I will not stand in your way, friend.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

ArfJason posted:

Hey guys you should all stop being super angry all the time and doxxing the people who anger you. First of all I dont understand why you are getting livid at a videogame thats not even out yet, their developers, or the people pointing out how unhealthy that is. Please stop reading 9001 pages long reddit posts of the game you hate, watching million hour long videos of people you talked about wanting to murder, following them on twitter, or internet stalking me + calling me a pedophile.

Longer.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Try reading a Wired article after replacing "Smart" with "Derek Smart :smug:"

This made me :lol:. Good job! :shobon:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/811989438926422016

get. hype.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

I remember that now, he totally ripped them off didn't he :lesnick:

Ben bukkake though, :whitewater:

Ben boo caca.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Honestly though who wouldn't fall for your sweet talk? :allears:

This was an angle I don't think anybody thought of though, so bonus points for creativity!

"Chris had the perfect idea at the outset, but other people talked him into expanding the scope so much the project became impossible. Chris tried to just meet their expectations, but even his magic touch could only do so much when faced with so many promises other people forced him to try and honor. If it wasn't for the bad people whispering into his ear, the tree of knowledge would be left unscathed and we would be blessed today. For shame, other people without proper vision! For shame!"

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

scrubs season six posted:

If your primary exposure to American gun culture is via the internet you're probably getting a wildly distorted view. The type of people you see having internet slap fights in comments sections of news articles are generally the extremists on each side. So you come away with the impression that everyone in America is either a Berkeley hippy that wets themselves at the thought of a firearm, or a total nutjob that owns 30 ARs and masturbates constantly at the thought of shooting a burglar with or becoming Neegan after total societal collapse.

Whereas I think the vast majority of people either don't own guns but don't think they should all be rounded up and incinerated (or at least realize that in American it's not likely to ever happen or work), or do own guns but aren't particularly worried about them being rounded up and incinerated.

There are literally people in this literal thread saying literal things literally like:

”I only have a glock and an AR-15 so i'm not a gun nut and don't know much about guns, but...”
Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I sold over $1000 worth of JPEGs before getting my refund. I made sure to drain every penny out of that account.

We were backers once, and young.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511398&userid=62024&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post419617396

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Steam sale starting, go get some space games that are actually good.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
gun nut, so what?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Meridian posted:

Steam sale starting, go get some space games that are actually good.

…once the Steam store starts working properly after the rush, at least. :D

Pimblor posted:

gun nut, so what?

So make sure it's properly tightened, or you'll end up with bits of metal embedded in your face.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

orcinus posted:

Amazing.

This is pretty much how people play these FPS games though, right? Zoomed in so nothing but a face covers the whole screen so you can watch it's nuances as it goes through with the fighting and such.

I thought the best part of that video was that any time they showed gameplay it was janky and a bit jerky and awkward. But that face was ok. Can't wait until the ideas/code underneath pipeline kicks in and ideas just immediately become coded out and perfect.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Still wondering what combination of circumstances leads someone to think that I'm a carebear.

They misread ”beer”?

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

So make sure it's properly tightened, or you'll end up with bits of metal embedded in your face.

nut face, so what

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

orcinus posted:

They misread ”beer”?

Carebeer — that sentimental state after 7–8 pints when every care in the world is yours and all your cares belong to the world.

Pimblor posted:

nut face, so what

So make sure squirrels don't attack you and try to store your face for the winter.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

orcinus posted:

They misread ”beer”?

They misread a lot of things.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

But that face was ok.

Pimblor posted:

nut face, so what

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Carebeer — that sentimental state after 7–8 pints when every care in the world is yours and all your cares belong to the world.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They misread a lot of things.

Are you saying you're not a carebeer?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Wrecked Angle posted:

Reading through that r/ds/ beer thread and this one post really stood out for me (Beer made other good ones too) because it loving blows the whole 'you just don't understand game development' bullshit out of the water with a resounding 'okay, no I don't understand it, now give me my loving game or my money back'. Well done Beer

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/5jjxcg/derek_smart_on_twitter_i_heard_that/dbhfqvx/

Is starcitizens retarded or just too simple to grasp very basic things?

I'm going with "village idiot". :razz:

Edited due to naming wrong person, oops, my bad :(

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 24, 2016

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

orcinus posted:

There are literally people in this literal thread saying literal things literally like:

â€I only have a glock and an AR-15 so i'm not a gun nut and don't know much about guns, but...â€
Stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason.

Uh oh. This is me I think. Though it's a pistol and an AR-10. I enjoy distance shooting and the mathematics, aerodynamics, and meteorological conditions behind zeroing in on a distance target. I didn't get anything super tactical or spend hideous amounts of money. I just got what I wanted to maintain something I've been interested in doing. I don't go hunting or anything of the sort. :shobon:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

quote:

you and your carebear friends saw an opportunity to drive yet another game into the ground

Goons are carebears? What a weird thing to say. I thought goons were backstabbing instigators looking to exploit any possible flawed mechanic.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I don't grit my teeth when shooting. I try to pretty much keep a totally neutral and non-tightened expression.

I wonder if CIG is going to steal from Kojima where if you shoot your machine gun too long your guy starts to yell. Not that it will be in David Hayters soothing tones, but I know Chris is always looking for the next great idea to Archer up himself. :)

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

Uh oh. This is me I think. Though it's a pistol and an AR-10. I enjoy distance shooting and the mathematics, aerodynamics, and meteorological conditions behind zeroing in on a distance target. I didn't get anything super tactical or spend hideous amounts of money. I just got what I wanted to maintain something I've been interested in doing. I don't go hunting or anything of the sort. :shobon:

That's all fine, but you do realize that in any other country this would very much categorize you as a gun nut, right?

Disclaimer: I'm not anti-gun-ownership, i've got nothing against gun nuts. I am pro-gun-control, however, and i very much do have beef with idiots owning guns. It's not black and white. It's not either no guns or everyone has a gun. There are actual shades in between.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

The Titanic posted:

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I don't grit my teeth when shooting. I try to pretty much keep a totally neutral and non-tightened expression.

I wonder if CIG is going to steal from Kojima where if you shoot your machine gun too long your guy starts to yell. Not that it will be in David Hayters soothing tones, but I know Chris is always looking for the next great idea to Archer up himself. :)

I keep a stony, thousand yard stare as I pump round after round into the bodies of my gel targets.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Goons are carebears? What a weird thing to say. I thought goons were backstabbing instigators looking to exploit any possible flawed mechanic.

I'm nearly certain goondom is whatever bugaboo you need.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

Goons are whatever the ~dreams~ require them be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Titanic posted:

Honestly though who wouldn't fall for your sweet talk? :allears:

This was an angle I don't think anybody thought of though, so bonus points for creativity!

"Chris had the perfect idea at the outset, but other people talked him into expanding the scope so much the project became impossible. Chris tried to just meet their expectations, but even his magic touch could only do so much when faced with so many promises other people forced him to try and honor. If it wasn't for the bad people whispering into his ear, the tree of knowledge would be left unscathed and we would be blessed today. For shame, other people without proper vision! For shame!"