Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I don't care if my choices are counted or not. I just wanted to list the ten shows I enjoyed the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

This is why we can't have anything nice.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
You already have ten shows you wanted to post, how hard is it to just put a number in front of each one?

Personally, I like having the polls as a counterpoint to the polls TV critics write this time of year. The difference in opinion between the average critic and the average goon covers a lot of ground and as Corte posted, highlights shows I might have missed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I don't care if my choices are counted or not. I just wanted to list the ten shows I enjoyed the most.

b-but this is the entire point of the thread

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

In solidarity I have deleted my #10 show from my list. Are you gonna count my rankings now? I dare you to try.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fast Luck posted:

In solidarity I have deleted my #10 show from my list. Are you gonna count my rankings now? I dare you to try.

Too late, I already saw it :colbert:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i am going to post my list in the form of riddles

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To discover my 6th favourite show of the year, you must answer these questions three

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
10. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Still the funniest show about awful people even this late in it's run, awesome to see them just having fun with the characters at this point, especially the secondary/recurring ones.

9. Search Party - Great central cast of friends, dark humor and interesting story arc with a fantastic finale. Thank you TBS for letting me binge watch this when it came out.

8. Black Mirror - Scary as poo poo, leaves me with nightmares/strange dreams and a general sea change in mood after every episode.

7. Better Call Saul - Depressing and hilarious, great characters and story arcs even if you know some of them will die horrible deaths.

6. The Getdown - Comic book/theatrical storytelling mixed with a history lesson. The closest to a musical that I'll ever really enjoy. Loved the core group of kids and the enemy turned best friend in Shaolin Fantastic.

5. Vice Principals - Everything I loved about Eastbound and Down but better + Walter Goggins and great music. The end of the last few episodes almost brought me to tears.

4. Halt and Catch Fire - Great story, great characters and plenty of 80s nostalgia. Even with the somewhat awkward time jump I loved this season.

3. Stranger Things - Pure 80s nostalgia. Made me feel like I was a little kid watching E.T., the Goonies and Poltergeist for the first time again. Binge watched and had a blast doing so.

2. High Maintenance - Artistic and evocative, each episode has it's own unique way of telling a story. This is what I wish more tv shows would do and while it wasn't quite as good as the earlier webisodes it was still an amazing first season on HBO.

1. Atlanta - Like nothing i've ever seen before, funny and intelligent and filled with amazing characters. Like earlier entries on my list I can only hope that people learn from this and start taking risks with their artistic output and storytelling. Loved the lack of music in certain scenes and the stark contrast of emotions vs the environment around the characters.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
My previous top ten lists:

This year I wasn't very active in discussion on the forums, but I was still watching Television. I didn't have the time to watch TV that I really wish I'd had - so I'm way behind on a lot of shows. Also, we've been binging old shows lately, so a lot of my tube time has been under seige by things like Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 6. THE BODY. OH MY GOD, THE BODY. - Anyways, here's my thoughts on 2016 in TV as I have done for the past few years, as well as my official top ten votes. I know my top ten rarely looks like the super-vote-consolidation-list - but here it is anyway...

Shows I still need to catch: The Get Down, You, Me and the Apocalypse, Lethal Weapon, Luke Cage, The OA, Star Wars Rebels S3, Angie Tribeca, Red Oaks S2, Man in the High Castle S2, The Walking Dead S6-7

Hours I want back: 18+ Shannara Chronicles 6.3 - cool premise, terrible show. Colony 3.9, Sawyer you done me wrong. Fuller House 0.6 tuned in for the old guys who were only in the premiere. Vice Principals 2.1 was probably good but not my cup of tea. I couldn't bring myself to enjoy or finish the X-Files 3.2 . Grease: Live 2.0, I should have just watched Beauty School Drop Out bit on YouTube and saved myself an evening.

Shows the SO watches that I suffered through while not paying attention: The Exorcist seems to be really well made and when I look up from the laptop it appears to have some high quality production design and good acting but I don't do horror. Scream Queens, hahaha what the gently caress happened to you? Last season was bad but this was just stupid. American Horror Story: Bad Accent, even my significant other who loves your stupid show couldn't finish you.

Guilty Pleasures: Wrecked is funny sometimes, Last Week Tonight is always funny and clever and topical, but quit trying to make me feel guilty John Oliver, Son of Zorn is really good to chill out and put on between other stuff, SNL is always good even though we've lost some core cast members in the last few years, Billy on the Street is amazing and Billy Eichner is my spirit animal.

Shows I hate now: Agent Carter season 2 was unwatchable. Glad you got canceled. Agents of SHIELD was good for a long time, but this season is the worst thing ever. The Ghost Rider plotline is boring and I've all but given up. Wayward Pines what the gently caress happened? I gave up after one episode. This was my number one show last year, but this year it was unwatchable. Catfish, gently caress you both, Nev and Max. Daredevil Season 2: you can do better. Punisher stuff was great, Ninja stuff was poo poo.

Honorable Mentions: When I saw that Kiefer was doing TV again, I knew I'd DVR it no matter what it was. Designated Survivor isn't 24, and it isn't the West Wing, but it's just enough of both that I really enjoy it. The Crown was a pleasants surprise for me, as I don't know a lot about English modern history, and now that I work with several British Ex-Pats, the Queen and her family (including RANDY ANDY) have become common topics of discussion at work, this series kind of helped me stay on topic. Thanks, Netflix. Timeless is the spiritual successor to Sliders, at least through the first 3 episodes. I'm behind, but I dig this show. Drunk History is something I've recently discovered, but that Lin Manuel Miranda episode is incredible, and I'm slowly going through the back catalog - Derek Waters is a good dude. Life in Pieces is still one of my favorite shows (It was #8 on my list last year) - but it's just been beaten by BETTER shows. Adam Conover on Adam Ruins Everything is not only entertaining but informative. I kind of get accused of being a know-it-all jerk sometimes, and Adam consistently humbles me with his informative (if somewhat biased) show. He single-handedly convinced my SO that diamonds and precious jewels are stupid, so thanks, Adam! Also, we went to his live election special tour when it stopped in Seattle (the first show, actually). We really dig Adam in this house. American Crime Story: The People vs OJ Simpson deserved all the awards it won this year. It was entertaining, nostalgic, mostly accurate and well-acted and produced. It may well be the "best show" this year, but it didn't make my personal top ten. I bumped Silicon Valley from my list this year, not because it's not good anymore, but because it just didn't blow me away like these top ten did.

2016 Top Ten:

10. Game of Thrones

What a season. Game of Thrones is the show I look forward to most each year. This season aired right in the middle of my move, and I had to catch some episodes in low quality on hotel TVs and on HBO Go. Sadly, I first saw the Battle of Bastards in non-HD. But still, this season was bombastic and big and gave payoff for all of those hold-your-breath moments that we've been suffering through over the last few years. It's weird to feel satisfied after watching Game of Thrones, but I kind of like good-guy GOT. I hope he sticks around.

9. The Grand Tour

Top Gear was a show I loved, but never really considered part of my regular television programming because I had to acquire it through weird means and normally watched it on a small screen. That first trailer, proper trailer I mean, with the tent and the tank and the music... Best trailer for anything, ever. The Grand Tour is still finding its feet, but it's satisfying and scratches that itch that feeds the gearhead corner of my brain.

8. The Expanse

The Expanse caught me by surprise. Never read the books, never even knew it existed until I saw an ad just before the premiere... Maybe it was after the premiere... I don't remember, I just remember becoming completely enveloped by the production design. They built a brand new world in that show, with its own style and palpable worldbuilding efforts that paid off. Syfy's best science fiction show since BSG. Can't wait for season 2.

7. Stranger Things

You know why. Poor Barb.

6. Preacher

This is a weird one for me. I have been looking forward to a Preacher movie/tv series for years. What we ended up with on AMC is far from what I had imagined for the last 20 years. I had always wanted a hard-R HBO series that was a page for page remake of the source content. That book lives and breathes in the 90's, I never would have believed it could work in present day, let alone with drastic changes to the core story and major characters... But it worked. All of it worked for me. Ennis & Dillon's creation was my favorite comic when I was a young adult. It kickstarted my personal existential crisis and holds a special place in my life, regardless of what other mediums it's adapted to. This show moves beyond the book and does its own thing - and for that I'm glad. It's a different story. Jesse is different, Tulip is different, Cassiday is different - and that's ok. It works on its own. I really, really hated the premiere and almost dumped it - but I stuck it out, and I'm glad. I can't wait to see where they take this show - and look forward to them adapting other parts of the original material in new and interesting ways.

5. The Good Place

Kristen Bell is a favorite of mine. I'm a huge fan of Veronica Mars (check the avatar) and have been following her career since then. This show is legit funny and really clever and original. Ted Danson, also, blows me away with the weirdest and most interesting character created on television this year. There are so many intriguing questions raised by the premise and the world that these guys live in. I really look forward to the second half of the season with Adam Scott's character. Give this show a shot if you haven't, it's more clever than it seems, and despite the begging question (where can they possibly go from here?) - just enjoy the ride.

4. Mr. Robot

The season 2 twist totally got me. The season 1 twist kind of did, but the season 2 twist REALLY got me.

3. The Magicians

I'm not entirely sure why the Magicians intrigues me the way that it does. It's not as well made as some of my previous entries, the writing is a little hacky at times - it's kind of a rip off of other series (despite being based on a very successful book series...) - But I just find this show REALLY good. Again, SyFy has outdone themselves this year. Production design and set dressing is a really big thing for me. As a television viewer I'm consistently drawn to what's in the background, what's on the table, what poster does this character have on the wall, what brand of coffee is so and so drinking. I'm watching TV wrong, and I know it. BUT - this show gets me. It fills those areas. Busy messy tables covered in magical artifacts and hidden messages and art. Beyond just the production design, the acting is top notch - and the story seems to be going somewhere. Give the Magicians a shot, ride it out, the first couple of episodes are a slow burn, I admit.

2. Westworld

What door? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK :psyboom:

1. Black Mirror

When we discovered Black Mirror we binged both seasons back to back and then the Jon Hamm Christmas episode dropped. Then we had to wait for Netflix to pick it up for the third season - and what a wait it was. But it was worth it. This season turned in some gems. I think Men Against Fire was kind of a turd, (you can disagree) - but the other 5 episodes are all worthy of spots on this top ten list on their own. San Junipero broke my heart and the soundtrack hit at the finale made me completely break down. Nosedive had me in an anxious, nervous ball for the last 20 minutes. Shut up and Dance was an hourlong panic-attack. Hated in the Nation was genius and perfectly plausible and last but definitely not least, Playtest - to this very moment - fucks with me in a way I cannot begin to describe. Playtest quite literally changed the way my I see the world. This show, more than just a Twilight Zone for the smart phone generation - broke my brain. If this is a show you've been putting off and putting off and putting off - stop. Watch Black Mirror, holy poo poo.

If Rick and Morty had aired in 2016 it would be my #1. Rick and Morty for a hundred years, dot com, blah blah blah. Wubbalubbadub dubz!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
After ranking my Top 50, I'm shattered that there a bunch of amazing TV shows that aren't going to get any of my votes. I was only really disappointed by the bottom 4 or 5 shows this year and I'd highly recommend everything else on my list. So here is my 11-50.

50 The Ultimate Fighter
49 The Grand Tour
48 Vinyl
47 The Walking Dead
46 Fear The Walking Dead
45 Unreal
44 The Night Of
43 Lip Sync Battle
42 Comic Book Men
41 Baskets
40 Love
39 Orange is The New Black
38 Ballers
37 Hard Knocks
36 Society Game
35 Insecure
34 Peaky Blinders
33 Black Mirror
32 Better Things
31 Atlanta
30 Black Sails
29 Drunk History
28 Narcos
27 Stranger Things
26 The Get Down
25 Vice
24 Vikings
23 Happy Valley
22 Impractical Jokers
21 Last Week Tonight
20 Mr Robot
19 Quarry
18 Preacher
17 You're The Worst
16 Westworld
15 American Crime Story
14 Game of Thrones
13 High Maintenance
12 Horace and Pete
11 Broad City

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
10. Veep

This show is special. Lots of trepidation with the change of showrunners but it wasn't evident at all on screen. A great continuation to the saga and the supporting cast continues to be awesome.

9. Animal Kingdom

There are so many ways that this could have been awful but it was far from it. The surprise of the year for me (along with Quarry that sadly couldn't make my Top 10. They've done a great job at adapting the movie, translating it to the US and altering it to work in the format of television. Looking forward to it falling apart (on the show) next year.

8. Silicon Valley

Great season. Show continues to be awesome. Mike Judge continues the tradition of having amazing soundtracks in his creations. I could watch these idiots sit around and banter for hours on end.

7. Planet Earth

Just wow. The BBC continues to amaze with these documentaries. Absolutely stunning. Attenborough is an absolute treasure and I hope he lives (and keeps doing these) until he's 120. Since becoming a Dad, I've become an absolute pussy when it comes to children and animals on TV. I cry at least once an episode watching these things and I love them for it.

6. Crazy Ex Girlfriend

It's been really great seeing people in the Couch Chat thread giving this show a try and absolutely loving it. Hopefully that is reflected in this years poll. I was really concerned about a second season for this show but it's been handled super well and continues to evolve and be great

5. The Americans

This show has always been a bit of an enigma for me but it's been a perennial top 10 for me. This season really clicked with me. Nothing else like it on TV and it's great that this show appears to be getting a bigger audience.

4. Survivor

The grandmaster of reality TV keeps on bringing it. Awesome season with plenty of great characters and good strategy. It was also really refereshing that this season was played with such good spirits. No jury bitterness and no nastiness throughout the season.

3. Vice Principals

What a surprise. I was a fan of Eastbound and Down but was a little turned off by characters being awful. This show manages to find the balance a lot better between awful people doing awful things and rooting for them. Amazing performances from the two leads, awesome soundtrack and plenty of laughs

2. Shameless

A real spike in quality this season. Most shows go completely off the rails when they get this old but Shameless keeps on bringing it. A great balance of humour, drama, character moments and awesome montages. Congrats Shameless.

1. Better Call Saul

It still amazes me that this is a Breaking Bad spinoff starring Saul loving Goodman and that it's actually good. It's better than good, it's great. Love the direction and pacing of this season. Some really powerful scenes and Bob Odenkirk has done a great job. Can't wait for next year.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 22, 2016

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
One thing this thread has convinced me is to give Crazy Ex Girlfriend a try.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

nate fisher posted:

We got one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBz8wobOaoc

It's my no.1 this year, but still figuring out no.2-10.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nate fisher posted:

The only reason it won't be on my list is I'm still in season 1 (unless it got real bad in season 2?).

It's Real Good, the people hyping it were right.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

IRQ posted:

The only reason it won't be on my list is I'm still in season 1 (unless it got real bad in season 2?).

It's Real Good, the people hyping it were right.

S2 is real good. It's my number 2 pick with a bullet.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Big thanks to the guy who listed 3%, this show is completely my jam and I'm holding off on posting my list just to give it a shot at breaking into my top 10.

Zaggitz posted:

S2 is real good. It's my number 2 pick with a bullet.

Hurry up and post your list so I can start making jokes about how terrible you are :saddowns:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Rarity posted:

Big thanks to the guy who listed 3%, this show is completely my jam and I'm holding off on posting my list just to give it a shot at breaking into my top 10.

Hurry up and post your list so I can start making jokes about how terrible you are :saddowns:

You already know what my number 1 pick will be so just go hog wild.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zaggitz posted:

You already know what my number 1 pick will be so just go hog wild.

...You disgust me.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Now that's out of the way, I need to watch Westworld still before I can finalize my list, but I'm swamped with work up until and including Christmas so I'll be submitting mine pretty close to the deadline.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Rarity posted:

No problem. I'm glad someone gave it a try. Like I said, I definitely don't think it's for everyone but it's perfect for me.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1. West World

2. West World

3. West World

Er yes, West World, a absolute showcase of excellence. This is the one show I would recommend to everybody without caveats. The execution of the show is just exemplary. Anthony Hopkins is just mind blowingly good and should win all the awards for this. He is greatly helped by how great the rest of the cast are as it wouldn't matter how good Hopkins is if his co-stars can't keep up. The direction is just amazing especially how they mess with the viewer in that wham episode(They are all wham episodes). The music is delightfully unique without going experimental. The set design is great, moving from one to another is connected yet like another world just like a person in West World would experience. The sex and violent delights have violent ends.

Watch this show blind for maximum enjoyment, then come back to look up the missing bit you missed or just watch it again. More to come in 2018 assuming we are not embracing death.

4. PoI : I great send off to a great show. It is a shame internal studio politics won, but despite this the show runners battled on until the end. Being limited to having a case of the week format both hurt and enhanced the show by using those rules to their advantage while blending it into the story. I thought this was the best show of the year until WW came along, :love: Root :love:

5. Sherlock: Maybe cheating since it was more a mini-movie than a TV show. If you like Sherlock, here is more and it is good.

6. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Diamonds is Unbreakable(Anime, season 3): This series is weird even for Anime. It is an ultra manly show, so manly that Arnold looks like a girl, but contains so much beefcake and pan sexual symbolism women can enjoy it as much as the men. Great music you can just sing along if you can.

The stories have their own logic it will mostly follow and yet remain bizarre through out. Each season has a different style and over arcing quest, with the current season having less stakes than the last 2 running opposite to every other show. Definitely not for everybody. But if you want weird poo poo that's pretty funny with seriousness in the mix this is for you.

7. Archer: I like insane shows and this is insane and utterly hilarious. Great character, lots of fun. you never quite know what's going to happen.

8. Better Call Saul season 2: I have still got to get around watching it completely but I keep stopping because I feel I need to go back to season 1 to refresh myself.

9. Doctor Who: Not sure why people don't like the new Doctor, the only thing more I wanted from him is for him to swear up a storm. Fun stories but as with all time travel stories don't look to hard into the details.

10. Last Week Tonght/The Late Show with Stephen Colbert/the Daily Show with Trevor Noah: They hit the same thing but from different directions and formats they make a whole bigger than the sum of it's parts. Also: Africa Jokes because he can.

11. Thunderbolt Fantasy: A Chinese fantasy backdrop, story written by a Japanese, animated by Taiwanese glove puppets. Likely has done more to bring these 3 countries closer than anything else for quite a while. Explosions, sword fights, Qi attacks, dudes getting blown to bits, guy loses his rib cage. Massive amount of effort went into it and it shows.

12. Mobile Suit Gundam: Thunderbolt: Beautiful, well directed, great sound. Characters are somewhat questionably written but it is a bit hard when one side are Space NAZI.

13. Supergirl. I don't watch it much for the super power fights which are adequate. I watch it to see Kara geek out and bubble over. The Supergirl persona is pretty boring, however when ever she tries to intimidate is is just funny and she has a funny flying face. Melissa is just perfectly cast, her supporting members are ok but I wish they inserted more of themselves into their characters if for nothing else make their characters more natural. It's ok to watch if you want some not-superman.

14. Agents of Shield. I Love/hate this show. No matter how much you enjoy a season or episode they always have some glaring issue you just leave you shaking your fist in the air in anger of how bad/stupid it was.

15. Heavy Object (Anime): Watched on a whim and liked it. Easy characters to get into, weird absurd weapons, fan service, fairly clever stories. Looks good.

16. Walking Dead: Because???? I don't know. Great start to season 7. Then almost walks off a cliff. I can't believe you can kill people, make it boring and retroactively pointless.

17. Ninja Warrior: The US courses are BS, coming close to fake difficulty made worse by the fact they keep changing it at random making luck an increasingly important factor instead of training and talent.

Honourable mention, Danger 5 (2015). Only watched it this year but it would be on the list if it came out now. American Dad, Bob's Burgers.

Comedy option: Sailor Moon Crystal.
Worst TV show: This year's election.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 23, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just a heads up thats Diamond IS Unbreakable, not are.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, er, that's not ten shows and you ranked them in the wrong order

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's also three different shows ranked at #10 and Doctor Who hasn't even aired yet this year :confused:

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

We live in a world where people don't need to rank their top tens and Trump is president, so...
Welcome to Whose Line Is It Anyway where the points don't matter...

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am a time traveller hence Doctor Who is at #10.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

There's also three different shows ranked at #10 and Doctor Who hasn't even aired yet this year :confused:

I guess technically one episode will air this year, and if you like recent Dr Who I guess it's fairly consistent.

Look how I talked about Dr. Who and didn't make an opinion! It was real hard trust me.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Honorable mentions: The White rabbit project, You're the worst and Superhero shows that are not Gotham nor AoS.

Dishonorable mentions: Last week tonight with John Oliver.
gently caress you John, gently caress you! You had a great show about issues, not petty politics and you dedicated half year to Trump and the elections.
Congratulations! You get to cover him for 8 more years. I won't be watching.
gently caress you John!

10. The Expanse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQuTAPWJxNo
Nice hard(er) sci-fi serial. 1st season was a slow burner that left me mostly mystified,
but there's lot of good there and it is a captivating vision about lovely future (in space).

9. Daredevil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMC7H23-sMs
Only 1 superhero show on my list this year and it was hard fight between Daredevil, Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow. Sorry Luke Cage, your last half wasn't good enough.
Many people loved the punisher part, but for me Daredevil has always been about ninjas and this show has lot of them.

8. Brooklyn nine nine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FfTA0CxATU
(Has nothing to do with series, but I don't care)
Nine Nine is back and this time they have mini-arcs about witness protection, nigh shift and someday (maybe) about doing police work.
Mostly it is about goofing off at work.

7. Unbreakable kimmy schmidt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i4s5LgdmjQ
More of the same from Tina Fey, which is actually good thing when original was so great. Cute and at the same time disturbing show about abuse survivor and her life in NY.

6. Westworld
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuS5huqOND4
I usually don't like the "prestige" shows, but both Cowboys and sci-fi are my thing, so here it is. The latest HBO big show about assholes being you know assholes.
Mystery side of the story is nice and has good potential to do great or just fizzle out like lost. We'll see that in future, but now it is great.

5. Lucifer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWcaoiR9vh0
2nd season of Lucifer is doing early castle, by having so-and-so procedurals mixed with really likeable characters and their much more interesting stories.
It is show about the devil and his fascination with the humans (oh and police procedurals, but that's more background noise)

4. Lucha underground

https://streamable.com/ev0wn
The Best lucha wrestling show is still going strong for the 3rd season.

3. Planet earth II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv9hn4IGofM
Sir David Attenborough is back filming singlehandedly narrating the best nature documentary this earth has to offer. Simply beautiful.

2. Sense 8 - Christmas Special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7JTJzb6ybQ
It was the most Sense8nal sense8 episode ever Sense8.
If you liked the season 1, you'll love this special of most Sense8 Christmas.
I honestly didn't realize it was double-length episode, until I searched youtube for that video and description said 2-hour special. It was that good.

1. Crazy ex-girlfriend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wxBLq_C2KQ
Yeah, I know I said it was my no.1. It was.
an Excellent program for stalky ex-girlfriends and people who like to watch them fail in life. Also musical-fans I suppose.

Still to come: Doctor Who Christmas special (High potential) and any other show I find trough this thread and binge-watch before time ends.

Comparison to last year:
No1 and 2 are same, number 3 gets a gently caress Youlogy instead.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 2, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Well, it's like Occ said: it's been a nightmare year. This is the year that my depression and anxiety went from "nuisance" to "active problem," and it's taken a lot from me...including, believe it or not, my ability to watch TV. Which you'd think would be easier when you're depressed, go figure.

I won't ruin your weekend with the details, but the upshot is that there's a lot of shows out there that could've made my list, but I missed an episode here or there and just couldn't be bothered to catch up. They include, but are not limited to: Atlanta, Better Things, Animal Kingdom, Horace and Pete (actually it's not like I missed it since it's streaming on Hulu, it's just good LORD can I not handle that right now, sorry, Esco), The Americans, Mr. Robot, and Agents of SHIELD. One day, I will get on (or get back on) these bandwagons.

For now, though, I try to look on the bright side. Missing these standards gives me a lot of room to talk about some overlooked gems, and contrary to popular belief, my depression hasn't dampened my enthusiasm to talk about them. Though that may be more of a problem for you than a benefit for me...

...and with that all-too-strong insight into my myriad issues, on with the show!

10.) Take My Wife (Seeso)

"I just want us to live." -Cameron

The quote above comes from the opening of the second episode of the series: Real-life married couple Cameron Esposito and Rhea Butcher, just after having sex off-camera (acknowledged with a pleasurable sigh and a kind of adorable "Good job!" from Cameron) are discussing whether or not they'll have sex with each other in the show about their lives. Cameron goes off on a bit of a rant here, acknowledging the difficulties of revealing such an intimate aspect of their relationship to a wide audience, but also noting that there's a progressive-minded pressure to be seen as intimate when so many lesbian couples in popular culture are sexless -- if they aren't, one of them is inevitably killed off. Cameron wants it both ways in the show about their lives, and she and Rhea are smart enough writers to have it as such.

Take My Wife is the first of two LGBT-themed entries on this list, and for a show that sells itself on being "created, starring, and produced by an actually gay, actually married couple," it's the show that seems the least concerned about sexuality. Take My Wife is more of a romantic comedy set in the world of stand-up, which can be tricky to nail down -- just ask Tom Hanks or even Judd Apatow. It focuses on an interesting time in Esposito and Butcher's lives: with Cameron on the verge of breaking out just as Rhea's starting to consider quitting her job to make a full-time run at comedy.

Thematically, the show's a bit shaggy: Rhea obviously doesn't want to be seen as "Cameron's girlfriend," but she takes a job co-hosting a weekly stand-up show with Cameron, and not much drama is mined out of Rhea's concern over the long shadow Cameron is starting to cast. Then again, such drama is hard to mine when it's obvious to anyone with eyes that Butcher, however long a way she might have to go as an actress, is a magnetic screen presence and an all-around funny motherfucker with a distinct style from Cameron. Don't get me wrong, they both shine equally -- Cameron in particular gets some fantastic material with Janet Varney, who plays a famous actress that tempts the increasingly successful Cameron away from the struggling Rhea -- but this series is a showcase for the well-exposed Esposito and an absolute gift to the less-appreciated Butcher, one that she makes the most of.

So instead of the strum und drang of the push-pull between wanting to succeed on your own merits vs. wanting to be close to your partner, this season (it just got renewed a few days ago) focuses more on how Cameron and Rhea's relationship affects their comedy and vice versa. One episode starts with the question of the couple having kids one day, a prospect that scares and confuses them. This segues into a classic comedy bit with a baby they're supposed to watch ending up locked in their apartment. After a successful rescue, and better informed by the events of the day, the two of them hash out their feelings about children, on stage, during their show.

It's smart and well-observed, and willing to get heavy (in the second episode, a famous comic's sexual assault joke crosses a line for them), but it's a comedy through and through; not a comedy that's secretly a drama. It embraces absurdity, and it often works, but it's happy to just be funny and sweet.

9.) Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)

"I don't need to be shrunk like some Rick Moranis kid! I'm blowing up like a Rick Moranis baby!" -Kimmy

Kimmy's slight tumble down my list should say more about the other shows on it than the show itself. This year, the show upped its game, boasting a stronger overall narrative that led to fantastic guest turns from Tina Fey and Lisa Kudrow, as well as a gag-to-runtime ratio that could give peak Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker a run for its money. If the way Ellie Kemper's improvised "Bunny and Kitty" ditty spirals into an amazing running gag doesn't get you, you better hope Puppazza does, because otherwise you might be clinically dead.

Unlike last year, which culminated in an arc that was dragged down by severe cognitive dissonance, Kimmy is able to keep the laughs going the whole way through. Still, the show never forgets that it's about a woman who has suffered a profound trauma in her life, one that most people would never be able to grasp, and it constantly weaves its dark pathos through its hysterical story. The balance between light and dark that Fey and Robert Carlock maintain is nothing short of impressive.

8.) Sweet/Vicious (MTV)

"This school needs its Batman." -Ophelia

MTV apparently likes to describe Sweet/Vicious to entertainment journalists as "an offbeat superhero story for the millennial generation."

I've never had a stronger urge to punch an entire marketing department in the metaphorical dick. Okay, it's technically accurate, in the same way that "a southern-fried take on Scarface" is a technically accurate description of Breaking Bad. The pitch to SMART people, however, is that Sweet/Vicious is a dark vigilante action-comedy that takes an easy power fantasy like "women kicking rapist frat boy rear end on a college campus where sexual assault has become endemic" and manages to play to all its visceral thrills while simultaneously deconstructing it by dramatizing some of the problems with vigilantism: particularly in regards to how easy it is to cross lines that can't be uncrossed, and how it only very rarely helps the victims of violent crime. The school may need its Batman, but the show occasionally feels like a rebuttal against the ways he's been romanticized in recent years.

The first two episodes were directed by Joseph Kahn, the crazy, beautiful bastard who unleashed Detention and Power/Rangers onto this world. But creator Jennifer Kaytin Robinson -- who, according to IMDB, has never written anything that's been produced before this (she's presumably being assisted by former Gossip Girl lieutenant Amanda Lasher) -- establishes an identity for the show that easily survives without his presence. Robinson and her crew masterfully up the stakes and turn the screws throughout the five episodes that ran this year, leading to an awesome cliffhanger into the holiday break that might read inconsequential on paper but plays with a massive "OH poo poo" in practice.

I wrote 2,000 more words about how loving great this show is here, touching more on the brilliant, layered performances of Eliza Bennett and Taylor Dearden, as well as the interesting ways this show handles the toxic trope of a heroine who is spurred into action by her own sexual assault. I hope you read it; I'm really proud of it. To be honest, though, you should probably just see this awesome poo poo for yourself here.

7.) Easy (Netflix)

"The two bar dates...oh, then I slept with them...that's the difference between coffee and...and a vodka." -Annie

Easy is one of those shows that tends to provoke more introspection than discussion. A dramedy from DIY filmmaker Joe Swanberg (Drinking Buddies, Hannah Takes the Stairs), Easy tells eight barely-connected stories of people who are at various crossroads in their lives. Most are about couples, though two of them focus on a pair of brothers (Evan Jonigkeit and Dave Franco) starting an underground brewery, while another one is a parallel narrative about two actresses, one older (Jane Adams), one younger (Gugu Mbatha-Raw), contemplating their lives. If Swanberg has a unifying theme in mind, he's not interested in beating you down with it. Some stories are downers, some end on happier notes. But they're all very simple and low-key, befitting its title. That makes it all the more surprising how loving hysterical the show often is, which allows it to hit you with a burst of dramatic or even erotic energy when you least expect it. (This might be one of the sexiest shows on any network or service, let alone Netflix, even though it all has a point and none of it feels exploitative.)

You can't watch a show like Easy while folding laundry, but it's a great show to lightly ruminate on, and there's really nothing like it anywhere else. "Netflix and chill" has never been so accurate.

6.) Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (CW)

"People actually [change their lives]. Not me, but, you know." -Greg

Season 2 of this fantastic show is another tragic casualty of my TV cutback (I plan to catch up as soon as it drops on Netflix), but the back half of Season 1 is strong enough to make this list. It's an adorable musical, a hysterical romantic comedy, a thoughtful look at mental health, and a nuanced deconstruction of the trope that provides its title.

5.) Westworld (HBO)

"These violent delights have violent ends..." -Arnold

This was a hell of a thing. After airing one of the best pilots ever made, the rest of the series turned out to both live up to the pilot's promise without necessarily being as viscerally satisfying as you might expect. A lot of that is on the strange, convoluted forms the story took by necessity; Westworld was attempting to get you to empathize with these characters in a way that would help you fully understand why it had to end the way it did, and it mostly worked, but getting there could feel like a slog at times. But it was a fascinating slog, darkly funny, often brilliant, and utterly beautiful. It's gonna be a long, long wait for 2018.

4.) Person of Interest (CBS)

"We could be heroes, if just for one day..." -Bowie

Giving this show 13 episodes to finish up instead of 22 seemed to cut this show off at the legs a little bit. This show clearly tried to do things that needed just a little more time to properly play out, such as the corruption of Jeff Blackwell and the final battle between The Machine and Samaritan. But even if it wasn't clean, I'll be damned if this thing didn't sprint across the finish line anyway. Everybody got a satisfying, beautiful ending, regardless of whether or not it was "happy," and the writers proved they could still run for touchdowns, like with the reality-bending "6,741" or the non-stop action of "The Day the World Went Away."

What a loving show this was. What a loving ending to it. Godspeed, Person of Interest, and thank you for the ride.

3.) Black Mirror (Netflix)

"We'll make Heaven a place on Earth." -Carlisle

So here's the thing: I'm not sure this entry is valid, because I've only seen one episode of Black Mirror. My brother's a full-throated convert, and he's been telling me to get into this show ever since he discovered it on Netflix, but it always seemed too dour for me. This year, we're together for Thanksgiving, and he tells me "Dude, just do yourself a favor, watch the fourth episode of this new season. It's not like the other episodes."

I look it up on my phone. "San Junipero?"

He leans in, a little nervous. "Did you read the summary of it?"

"Just something about a friendship that defies the laws of time and space."

"GOOD. Keep it that way. Read nothing else about it."

That night, I can't sleep, it's four AM, I decide "gently caress it" and I fire up Netflix on my PlayStation.

I finished the episode. Stared slackjawed at my TV as "Heaven is a Place on Earth" blasted through my speakers. I spent the next 7 hours writing the first draft of this spoiler-heavy essay, breaking for breakfast, during which I watched the episode again and discovered MORE poo poo to write about.

"San Junipero" is the best episode of television I've ever seen. It's elegantly constructed, thoroughly considered, unexpected, romantic, and absolutely beautiful. As far as I'm concerned, Black Mirror deserves a spot on this list for this episode alone.

(If that doesn't sit well with the rules, however, my #11 pick is raring to move up.)

2.) You're the Worst (FX)

"Just because a busload of kids died doesn't make it Not Margarita Monday." -Vernon

With Breaking Bad long since off the air, You're the Worst is in the running for one of the best directed shows on television. Consider Edgar's surreal dance in "Twenty-Two," or the fireworks sequence in "The Last Sunday Funday," or the bustling oners that make up the bulk of "The Inherent, Unsullied Qualitative Value of Anything," or honestly, any random shot from this season. Stephen Falk and Wendey Stanzler capture a specific, candy-coated vision of Los Angeles that makes it look simultaneously plastic and real.

Aside from that, though, the show is loving hysterical. It is gut-bustingly rude, dangerously sharp, and if that was all there was to it it'd still be enough to break into the bottom of this list. But this season amps up the painful emotional honesty of last year by killing off Jimmy's awful father and bringing him face to face with the emotional scars from his upbringing, while Edgar decides to go off his PTSD meds and Lindsey begins to act out against the awful marriage she's trapped herself in by having Paul's child. The result is a show that's devastating on several fronts, and it'd be show of the year if not for one that did it just a little bit better...

1.) BoJack Horseman (Netflix)

"We always have a story." -Miss Simone

You're god drat right, Netflix marketing.

Any series, comedy or drama, would be blessed to have ten episodes throughout its lifespan that were hall-of-famers, absolute classics.

BoJack Horseman had six in one season: "The BoJack Horseman Show." "Fish Out of Water." "Brrap Brrap Pew Pew." "Best Thing That Ever Happened." "That's Too Much, Man!" "That Went Well." The rest would have to settle for mere greatness, with an occasional incredible moment that transcended and owned an episode. Ana Spanikopita's horrifically vague handling of the situation in "Start Spreading the News." "Weird" Al Yankovic's outstanding and slightly-against-type performance as Captain Peanutbutter in "Stop the Presses." Todd's exasperated closing monologue at the end of "It's You." Season 3 of this motherfucking show came out throwing haymakers and just didn't let up for a second.

And the acting, good Christ. Why the gently caress doesn't Will Arnett have an Emmy for this performance? Arnett charts BoJack's course from anxiety to empty joy to defeat to utter devastation with unsettling precision. And lest he get all the credit, the character animators, working with what has to be a limited budget, infuse powerful non-verbal performances into BoJack and the rest of the cast. Every last man and woman working on this show had their eye, their mind, their whole loving being on the ball.

This season was so loving good that when BoJack Horseman Season 4 comes out next summer and inevitably disappoints compared to this masterpiece of a season, we're not allowed to be mad at it.

Thanks for reading.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 25, 2016

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

^^^ Great write up. You convinced me to watch San Junipero and boy am I glad you did. It was breathtaking.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
San Junipero is the only Black Mirror story I've liked.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Honorable Mentions:
Vice Principals – Incredibly funny, bizarre show. Can’t wait to see where it’s going in season 2.

12 Monkeys – still the best time travel show I’ve ever seen.

House of Cards – A fantastic resurgence from the lows of season 3.

Black Mirror – The bottom of the list was extremely contentious. Black Mirror had the single best episode of anything I watched in 2016 (San Junipero) and two other great episodes (Nosedive and Shut Up and Dance) but the fact that the other three were relatively lackluster is all that kept it off the list in this amazing television year.

10. American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ Simpson

An amazing look at such a famous case. I was just a little too young to have any memories of this when it happened, so while I’ve learned a good deal about it since, this was the most in depth look at it I ever experienced. It did a fantastic job of capturing the atmosphere of the time, and all the acting was incredible.

9. Stranger Things

Having no attachment to the 80s or any special love of films from that era, I wasn’t sure whether this would be my thing. Turns out it was! I think what really sets it apart for me was the decision to put the kids front and center as main characters, and to take the time and effort to perfect the casting that such a decision required. They were easily the best child actors I’ve ever seen on a TV show and totally sold their friendship and conflicts.

8. Better Call Saul

This continues to be a wonderful follow up to Breaking Bad. I hadn’t expected them to spend so long on Jimmy’s pre-Saul days but I think it’s really working out. Seeing how his difficult relationship with his brother is slowly but steadily driving him down the path to Saul Goodman the Criminal Lawyer is both sad and fascinating.

7. The Good Place

This show would definitely be higher on my list if they’d gone ahead and finished airing the whole season this year. The biggest surprise and best new show of the Fall 2016 season, The Good Place is hilarious and fast paced and has big plans for its story. It snagged the position of my most looked forward to show each week.

6. Agents of Shield

This remains my favorite superhero show. While it hasn’t reached the height of the season 2 finale again, it is still a great show with one of my favorite TV casts. Losing Brett Dalton at the end of Season 3 was a blow, but it was earned after being such a huge villainous presence for so long. Plus Lincoln went out with him so it evens out. Season 4 has been a lot of fun so far with Ghost Rider and I’m looking forward to where it’s going with LMDs next year.

5. Mob Psycho 100

I can’t really do this show justice. It’s a great story about a boy with incredible psychic powers and the con artist who helps him keep them under control so he can live a normal life and not allow his powers to rule him. It’s brilliant and hilarious.

4. Steven Universe

Boy do I hate this show’s schedule. I kinda wish I’d just waited and watched it once it’s all done, but it’s too late now. Schedule aside, I love it. Bringing Peridot into the main cast was a great move and the way the story has balanced moving the plot forward with silly character focused episodes has been really well done.

3. Westworld

I stayed away from all internet discussion of this show, and I’m glad I did. I didn’t figure out the BIG TWIST until the episode before it was revealed, and found it extremely satisfying that way. There were some off moments throughout the season, but overall the story it told was extremely compelling and now that the robo-revolution has come I can’t wait to see where it leads.

2. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

I finally caught up on this show early this year and it blew me away. It’s extremely funny, has great music, and really connects with me in its depiction of all these people and their messed up lives. Favorite episode is still “That Text Was Not Meant for Josh”. I will miss Greg going forward, but so far the show has still been great even without him.

1. Person of Interest

I have to give the number one spot to the final season of what has been my overall favorite show for the past several years. I will miss PoI so drat much. The final season wasn’t perfect, and I wish Root had lived, but it was still an amazing farewell to a show I’ll always love. There’s really nothing more I can say except Fusco will always have a special place in my heart.

Kynazeras
Dec 20, 2012
Since choosing my top 10 shows was so fun, I decided to pick my top episodes as well.

Best TV shows of 2016:
10 . Mr. Robot
Man, what a show. Plenty of people think this season was a downgrade but I just don’t see it. A better twist coupled with some surreal storytelling makes this season special to me. The story is set on an explosive path and Sam Esmail is determined to make this show a classic.
9 . Better Call Saul
I am so glad that Better Call Saul isn’t a cheap cash in on Breaking Bad’s success. This show is compelling and the characters are addicting. While I do believe that Jimmy McGill is the best character on television, the show’s focus on Mike is superb. Mike is a character that it is so easy to root for and grounds a show that is primarily about a con man who will stop at nothing to be successful.
8 . Broad City
Does this show know how to stop? Every season has improved on the last. Abbi continues to be a relatable mess and Ilana is still a cartoon character with a heart of gold. Both of the leads show off their acting chops when the characters are thrown into heartbreaking scenarios. Broad City is like a happy version of Louie. Jacobson and Glazer are two of the sharpest comedic minds we have and I am excited to see what they have in store for us.
7 . Silicon Valley
The Pied Piper boys have been a charming group of misfits since the pilot. This season, they are thrown into the wild world of being an actual tech corporation. Atop all the laughs, you are constantly rooting for the team to get past their latest hurdle. While the finale puts the show on a questionable path, the ride there was enjoyable.
6 . Westworld
Westworld is an experience.The pilot is able to explain the ins and outs of this complicated amusement park while maintaining mystery. The finale is a grand escape, the culmination of a master plan, and a confirmation of fan theories all rolled into a 90-minute thrill ride. The best part is, I honestly have no idea what season 2 is going to be about.
5 . Atlanta
Being from Georgia myself, it was fun the see our most popular city portrayed on television. What makes Atlanta so great is how it clearly takes place in an alternate universe but it makes no effort to actually say it outright. From black Bieber to invisible cars, this show makes no effort to be grounded. What compells me as a viewer is the vivid cast of characters. Earn and Van demonstrate the struggles of young parents who aren’t in a traditional relationship. Darius provides stoned out witticisms and plays one of the most lovable characters of the year. While Donald Glover deserves all his accolades, critics are ignoring the incredible performance of Brian Tyree Henry as Paperboy. His portrayal of a struggling rapper who is at odds with the mainstream media is raw and one of the best of the year.
4 . Bojack Horseman
I will say it: Bojack Horseman is far and above the best Netflix original show. Never did I think a talking horse would bring me to tears. Bojack is as complicated a character as Don Draper. This season sees him face face rejection, fear, death, and short-lived success. The show gets dark and unapologetic in its final stretch of episodes while maintaining its wit. Paul F Tompkins and Alison Brie deserve special props for their incredible portrayal of a modern couple.
3 . You’re the Worst
Most reviewers dropped this show a few slots from last year but I don’t see why. While season two mostly focussed on Gretchen’s depression, season 3 branched out to make the other characters just as compelling. Jimmy’s ability to cope with death, Edgar’s PTSD, Paul’s feelings of inadequacy, Lindsey’s selfish needs and facing of a tough decision give the viewers vast insight into a cast of seemingly unlikable people.
2 . Veep
Veep definitely felt different this year under David H Mandel’s showrunning. However, different is by no means worse. The show packed in more laughs than ever. The ensemble cast is as sharp as ever and JLD continues to be the strongest comedic performer of the year.
1 . Game of Thrones
Game of Thrones may have taken a dip in quality in season 5 but season 6 was a breath of brutal and satisfying fresh air. From incredible directing and music to giving the fans exactly what they want, 2016 was a great year for Game of Thrones.

Best Episodes of 2016:
10 . “The Bicameral Mind” - Westworld
Westworld was an experience. It really felt like one long episode so there is no better way to remember the show than the beautiful finale. Robert Ford gets a final laugh over the Delos board and the man in black gets what he always wanted. What more can you ask for? Also, this finale makes me wonder what on earth is gonna happen in season 2. See you in 2018, Westworld!
9 . “Klick” - Better Call Saul
Man, what an episode. Better Call Saul is a show that on the surface has a struggle to stay interesting: The viewers know where the main character ends up. Although this is a high hurdle, the writers cleared it without a hitch. The show has been compelling since the pilot and Jimmy McGill is easily the best portrayed character on television and Bob Odenkirk turned in the performance of the year. Jimmy deceived his brother in a huge way this season and he was able to smooth talk his way to the clear. However, Jimmy has one major flaw at this point in time: he still cares about Chuck. The final moment of this episode makes the wait for season three excruciating.
8 . “Battle of the Bastards” - Game of Thrones
One of the most epic episodes of television I’ve ever seen. I almost feel weird putting it this low on the list since I do believe it is the best directed episode of the year. Much like “Winds of Winter” this episode resolved a conflict that had been brewing for seasons. The epic battle coupled with the “Saving Private Ryan”-esque shell shock scene make this episode an A+.
7 . “Eps2.5_h4ndshake.sme” - Mr. Robot
People argue that Mr. Robot’s second season pales in comparison to its predecessor. Some argue that the big twist this season wasn’t as good either. I beg to differ. Honestly, I saw the twist of season 1 coming from the first episode. Sadly, I am not a reddit detective so this episode hit me like a ton of bricks. The twist was played out perfectly and I didn’t feel dumb for not seeing it coming. Also, as a lover of hip hop music, I was absolutely delighted with Joey Bada$$’s
6 . “Juneteenth” - Atlanta
“Is this Hennessy?” That line got a bigger laugh out of me than anything else this year. A man who “has black people as a hobby” opens his house up for a Juneteenth celebration. Van and Earn have to play nice and impress the people at this party if Van wants to survive. Everything from a pilgrimage to Africa to Vin Diesel’s black status is brought up in a hilarious series of crazy conversations. Throughout the episode, Earn reveals his true feelings for Van. This combined with a speech that skewers all the fake people of the party bring the couple closer together. Their relationship has been one of the most intriguing of the year so this episode felt like a step in the right direction for Earn. This episode’s only flaw is the lack of Paperboy and Darius.
5 . “The Inherent ,Unsullied Qualitative Value of Anything” - You’re the Worst
You’re the Worst had a slew of great episodes this year. Some were carried by a single character and some hinged on the audience caring about a cast of unlikable assholes. This episode is carried by the ensemble and even moreso by the production team. The meat of this episode is two longshots in which the camera makes a steady revolution around a wedding while the characters have revelations of their own. Gretchen and Jimmy question the nature of their relationship; Dorothy reconsiders her career path when Edgar sees more success than her in only a few months; Lindsey finally tells Paul how she truly feels. The episode is a raw, funny, beautifully crafted experience that sets the show up for an incredible two-part finale.
4 . “Burning Bridges” - Broad City
I have yet to see this episode on any lists and that is a crime. This episode has everything a half-hour comedy needs to be great. There are hilarious moments with Ilana and her parents. Abbi is struggling to tell the truth about a new and embarrassing relationship. The forever underrated John Gemberling gives fashion advice. The episode isn’t all laughs though. Early on,Ilana suffers a split from her long time FWB Lincoln. The whole episode leads up to the classic “Two people who know each other are in the same restaurant and one is hiding something from the other one” trope that is a wonderful homage to “Mrs. Doubtfire”. During the night, Ilana is hit with hard truths about her lifestyle and Abbi breaks the heart of the cheesy but lovable Trey. I’ve seen this episode more than any other on this list.
3 . “Fish out of Water” - Bojack Horseman
The episode so nice I had to watch it twice. Seriously, I watched it back-to-back on my first run through of season 3 because of just how well it was done. Much like “Kissing Your Sister”, this is a concept episode. Bojack has to explore the underwater world of the show which the viewers have only seen glimpses of up to this point. Because of language barriers, this episode plays out like an animated “Lost in Translation” where the main character is treated like an rear end in a top hat by everyone. Bojack, a character that is a product of bad parenting, has to take care of a child and get it back home after helping a male seahorse deliver. This quest takes us on a visually beautiful and emotionally endearing adventure through the sea.
2 . “Winds of Winter” - Game of Thrones
What can I say about this episode that hasn’t already been said? From the incredibly directed opening scene that changes the status quo to the final scene that does the job twice over, this episode is close to perfect. It confirmed a long time fan theory, killed off a slew of characters, and set the show on a burning trail to its finish line. For fans of Game of Thrones, this had to be the most satisfying episode of the series.
1 . “Kissing Your Sister” - Veep
I will admit, this one is controversial especially since it has topped the list for me. Most lists are giving “Mother” their vote for best Veep episode this year. For me, this episode was almost 100% laughs. Season 5 was a battle for Selina Meyer to stay president on the surface, but behind that fight was Catherine constantly shoved in a corner filming a documentary. Any observant viewer knew that we would eventually see the finished product in some form, but we had no idea it would be this spectacular. Scenes like Jonah Ryan delivering the best line in the episode and promptly being attacked, Kent cruising with his biker gang, and Mike being too inept to test his baby’s room for lead deliver huge laughs. The icing on the cake is that Catherine ended up making a movie that was supposed to be about the democratic process ultimately just a movie about her relationship. This is an insanely selfish move that extends the idea that Catherine is just like Selina at her core.

Kynazeras fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 27, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

10. Galavant
Tad Cooper forever. One final season would have been perfect but this show still went out with a bang after a thoroughly average first season.

9. Vice Principals
Hilarious takedown of toxic masculinity with Walton Goggins putting a career best comedic performance. On the edge of my seat for whatever s2 will have in store.

8. You're the Worst
Over all a less a consistent season, but probably has the single best episode of TV I've seen this year with one of the most gut wrenching portrayals of ptsd on tv.

7. Stranger Things
This show is all the movies, shows and books I liked as a kid combined, it just hit all of my buttons in a really great way and I loved it start to finish.

6. The Good Place
This is definitely the successor to Parks that I hoped B99 would be(though B99 still rules.) It's just excellent feelgood comedy mixed in with a dose of really cool and fascinating mythology. It's a shame we got so few episodes this year or this would be higher.

5. Mob Psycho 100
I already went on a long tangent about why this show rules, watch it.

4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable.
The manga that inspired Persona, and the part of it that inspired Persona 4 are finally animated! An awesome, funny action show about a group of super powered street punks who try to hunt down a serial killer that's been plaguing their town for 15 years. There's 3 others seasons of catchup to get to this part, which is why I didn't effort post about it. This show is extremely good though and has one of the best villains out there.

3. WestWorld
drat good TV, and a solid foundation for later seasons to build upon now that we have that big reveal out of the way. Boy though, it sure it gonna be a long wait to 2018.

2.Crazy Ex Girlfriend.
This show is extremely special and good and important and everyone watch it. Season 2 may be lower budget, and Greg leaving sucks, but it's still got just as much heart and creatvity as it did last year and has set up some truly compelling stuff for when we come back from the mid season break.

1. Person of Interest
Please refer to the last 5 years of my posting history. Number one with a bullet one last time.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 26, 2016

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This thread is always useful in terms of finding what to watch next by looking at the lists from people I trust. And it is also useful because it reminds me that there are also people with objectively wrong opinions out there that explain crappy network tv programming.

In any case, here's my list:

10- Catastrophe - Probably not the 10th best show of the year. But funny enough and overlooked enough that I thought I'd stick it here so at least someone may look it up.

9- Atlanta- Crazy, good new show, but not necessarily my style of humor. I can recognize its greatness even as it is not necessarily something I'd make a point to watch right away.

8- Crazy Ex Girlfriend - Not as good as season 1, but good TV in a not so good year.

7- The Fall - Decent conclusion to a good crime drama

6- Westworld- Phenomenal acting, interesting ideas, a bit weak on some parts, especially when you start to notice the intentional misdirection.

5- Stranger Things- 80% of what a good adaptation of IT should be, and IT is my favorite stephen king book.

4- The Americans- Mostly a set up season to prepare for the last one, but still great acting and drama.

3- Mr Robot- May change in the future depending on where they take season 3, but still, a very surprising, daring show. I may not have liked every moment of this season, but I like that people on TV can at least try stuff like this. Probably the most ambitious show out there right now.

2- Better call Saul- Like going to your favorite restaurant. No surprises, just a good solid show.

1- Halt and catch fire. Not as good as season 2, but still great acting and characterization. At times you feel it is retelling history with changed names, but then it goes into special places, emotionally. The spiritual successor to the leftovers in the sense that it is the best show of the year and no one is watching it. Much like the leftovers, I am sure this one will rank behind some third rate derivative marvel spin off too.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Shows that I enjoyed in 2016 (highlights in parentheses): American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ Simpson, Better Call Saul (Kim's development), Broad City, DC's Arrowverse shows (Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl - congrats to them on mostly pulling off their crossover), Fresh Off The Boat, Horace and Pete (Laurie Metcalf), It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (Mac and Dennis Move to the Suburbs), The Middle, Orphan Black (Tatiana Maslany on this show is forever a highlight), Saturday Night Live, Silicon Valley, The Simpsons (There Will Be Buds), Stranger Things
Special mention to Big Brother Canada 4 which had one of the best BB seasons (character-wise) marred by the worst Final 2.

These were in contention for the #10 spot: Atlanta, Better Things, The 100

10. Luke Cage (Netflix)

I had fun. Different kind of story-telling for a comic book show. Great music. Having Claire around probably helped it avoid some dull parts.

9. Survivor (CBS)

Memorable exciting new types of people and gameplay really freshened the franchise.

8. American Crime (ABC)

I recall some TVIV-ers watching Season 1 last year, and then not much chatter about this second season. It was the same kind of high quality issue-infused character drama, acting, writing, cinematography, skillful long takes, everything... but BETTER.

7. American Dad (TBS)

It's still making awesome and hilarious episodes. There was the 200th apocalyptic episode, Steve singing/parodying "Trapped in the Closet", Roger giving birth to Jeff.
Synopsis of the best B-plot ever: "Meanwhile, Roger is upset when a waiter compliments Hayley's order at a restaurant and not his."

6. Black Mirror (Netflix)

The best Black Mirror episodes make us examine a dark side of ourselves and question where our society is headed. This season's batch of episodes stretched the limits of what this show can be, and that experiment in itself is worthy of some praise.
Also this show is fun to watch with friends because you can text each other the Trollface, "0 stars", or "#DeathTo____".

5. OJ: Made in America (ESPN)

This is a really well-made documentary that spans 4 decades and is the story of America as much as it is the story of OJ Simpson.

4. Humans (Channel 4, UK)

The second season just finished in the UK; it will air on AMC in February. WATCH IT. This is an exciting, fascinating, well-made show about robots in society. The show simultaneously juggles so many plots and characters and moves them forward pretty quickly. Through the newly awakened robots, the show explores so many deep existential issues that questions many facets of what it is to be human. For example, one small plot involves a teenage girl who self-identifies as a robot. This is hilarious at first because of course that would happen lol millennials transgender parallelism. However, it gets real sad when we learn that she comes from a broken home and her motivation to live as a robot is to stop herself from feeling emotions.
At times I wanted to cry for these robots who were able to identify the feeling of sadness but physiologically unable to cry. The actors pull this challenge off so well. My main complaint from the first season was the sometimes-annoying main human family. They're still there, but this issue has been fixed. I'm making this show sound like a drama, but there's a lot of action as well. The season ends on a note that made me go "AW poo poo'S GONNA GET EVEN MORE REAL NEXT SEASON." :awesomelon:

3. Veep (HBO)

This season was not supposed to be good because of the showrunner change, but WOW did it become one of its best seasons.

2. Skam (NRK, Norway)

*** WARNING: This show's primary target audience is 16 year old girls. ***

If you've ever watched a teen show in your life, you owe it to yourself to watch this one. I could argue that this show transcends the teen show genre, but that would betray its #1 strength: that it is a teen show. Everything just matters more and you feel all the feelings when you're in that time of your life, ok? This Norwegian show is about a group of teens in a high school. The format is that the viewer follows one of the characters in the group per season. A different girl in each of the first two seasons, a guy in the third season. They go through life things, primarily relationships... but also way more than that. There is fantastic realism with actual teenage actors, amazing writing/acting/cinematography, A+++ music selection, awesome characters to love and root for. Imagine watching a TV show with teens and none of them are annoying and sure, sometimes someone says something bitchy or acts like an rear end in a top hat but their friends call them on it and they listen and apologize and grow as human beings. It's amazing. The show has touched on a number of issues including coming out, eating disorders, mental illness, islamophobia, nude pics, and slut shaming. It is apparently viewed by a lot of people in Norway and has captured a chunk of its general population. It has recently gained worldwide popularity due to the internet, the latest season featuring 2 cute gays, and dedicated fans adding English subtitles. There are a lot of potential turn-offs to this show and the internet has a lot of tumblrs dedicated to it, but it actually is a really good show and the latest season was really strong.

The show delivers powerful messages such as:

There is an entire other reason why Skam is so innovative, and the US adaptation rights have been bought mostly for that reason. The US version is doomed to fail because this kind of lightning cannot be captured twice, but if for some miracle it succeeds, this could take rabid fan obsession to the next level. While the season airs, the show really tries to give the fans an immersive experience. The actors keep a low/no social media profile. Instead, the characters have Instagram accounts where they post stupid/funny pics/vids of them and their friends doing normal things like playing Settlers. Also, the show's website releases content throughout the week as the events "happen." If texts are exchanged on Sunday night, we all get to see them on Sunday night. These texts add to the story but sometimes they slip in stuff like "hey did you catch the Westworld finale? Crazy!" and then you have to remind yourself that these are fictional characters. If something important happens at school on Monday afternoon, a video clip gets posted at that time. The actual show puts the week's clips together + what happens on Friday night when it airs. It's one thing to watch an episode where the main couple is separated until the last few minutes. It's a whole other experience when you're "living" out the story along day by day and it's Wednesday and WHY HASN'T THE OTHER GUY TEXTED BACK ALREADY!!! ANSWER YOUR PHONE! WE ARE ALL WAITING! This results in a lot of :f5:. The show keeps fans constantly guessing - episode lengths are variable (20-40 min) and you can't even trust the Norwegian TV guide to be accurate. I could see this concept being adapted to other genres.

1. Kingdom (Audience/DirecTV)

Good character dramas get better the longer they go because they let the characters show us more depth and have more development/history to play off of. This is a show set in the world of MMA fighters and it is amazing. In its 3rd season (ok, Season 2B), it manages to find impressive new ways of shooting the fight scenes. Jonathan Tucker continues to be the best actor ever. The season finale packed a whole lot of emotion. Kiele Sanchez had one of the most difficult jobs when she came back and acted out her character's miscarriage soon after her own real-life experience.

Show I'm gonna marathon next: The Americans

Yer Burnt fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 27, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I didn't pick up any new shows this year, so if you are looking for a list of best shows to air S1 in 2016 you wont find any here. Everything I was watching just seemed to end or take the year off too.

10: South Park
It returned to being funny again this season and if you haven't watched in years you should give it a try. Single story season about trolling on the internet and Donald Trump ending in a giant Rick Roll. I'm not sure if this season will be funny in 20 years with all the current event references but it is funny now and I highly enjoyed it.

9: Archer
John H Benjamin's voice is just too good to not include. The cold open at the start of the season to the final scene with Archer dead in the pool the season just felt like a nice return back to the show being good again.

8: Last week Tonight:
John Oliver is hilarious and informative. There was just too much stuff about Trump this year. Honestly though I don't see how he could have talked about anything else.

7: Bob's Burgers
John H Benjamin in a show with a better supporting cast. There have been better seasons though, and this is a show I used to introduce people to by saying it's a great show where every episode is somehow better than the last. It's starting to near the stage where it will be like The Simpsons, Family Guy and South Park pretty hit or miss.

6: Game of Thrones
Most of the season felt like build up to the 2017 season. Which is fine, but it held this season back from getting higher.

5: Critical Role
Since it's a web series I'll start off with the basics: Nerdy voice actors get together and play Dungeons and Dragons (5e) and stream a well written campaign on twitch (almost) every Thursday.
Watching other people fight dragons with dice has no right to be this entertaining. At 4 hours a week it is pretty demanding on your free time. Great to catch live and take part in chat but there is a lot of catching up to do if you want to watch the 2017 season. They fought actual dragons this year. Grog finally meeting up with Kevdak was a pretty big highlight of the imagination fueled show. if you are strapped for time you could probably listen to this as audio only, but the actors do a ton of body language and character acting that you would miss.

4: The Venture Bros
Three years since the last season. It was worth the wait. Monarch taking out other villains as the Blue Morpho was a good change from what could have ended up as an otherwise more of the same season. I like shows that are willing to wait a few years to make sure things are done right.

3: Person of Interest
The ending was amazing. Even if it's not what CBS wanted for the final episode. It was a good send off to a fantastic show that could have been stretched for another season or two and ended a bit weaker. I prefer things to end on a high note though. It really could have used another few episodes in the middle to tie up all the loose ends.

2: Silicon Valley
This show just keeps getting better. I find Jared more entertaining than I probably should due to having worked with someone who was just like him in a previous job.

1: Better Call Saul
I'm not sure how this show is as good as it is. Even if you haven't seen Breaking Bad because it's not your thing you can find this entertaining. I got my brother to start watching it and he couldn't get into Breaking Bad. I feel 2017 season is going to be even better, everyone knows Gus is going to turn up at some point.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
drat, I thought I watched a lot of TV in 2016 but reviewing this thread reminds me of my growing 'to watch' list.

10. Orange is the New Black | S1 was good, S2 was fine, S3 sucked, and S4 was… the best one? Alright. A shift from a season with no story to one that resulted
in behind the scenes characters getting to shine was what worked. The show has turned into a violent soap opera with huge gaps for where it claims to be a comedy,
but if we get more scenes like Piper getting branded, all the more for it.
Best episode: Piece of poo poo

9. Survivor: Kaoh Rong/Survivor: Millennials vs Gen X | Survivor’s streak of dynamic and fun seasons continues for another year. Kaon Rong was the better season
because it was so under-hyped and delivered with a character-driven plot, and thus, many amazing characters like Cydney and robbed Aubry. MvGX had an
excruciating pre-merge but the swap episode was insane and it mostly continued on that track until the end where the most Shakespearean story won.
Best episode: Million Dollar Gamble Part 2

8. Bob’s Burgers | Fox’s red-headed step-child. I had to check to see what exactly aired in the parameters of 2016. I mean, what’s not to say? Easily the
best animated show on broadcast because it’s constantly funny and heartfelt. I’m sure it will serve for many years to come, but the fact that the 100th episode
(and the best of the year) COULD have been the very last episode with good closure shows that the show is in good hands.
Best episode: Glued, Where’s My Bob?

7. The Amazing Race Canada | This is required viewing for the fans of the CBS reality-game trio. TARUSA has been sucking for a few years now but Canada just
delivered its best season. The cast defies the rules of casting villains because I legitimately liked every team. The format also improved with Canadian-based legs
that were actually interesting this time around. At the very least watch Jillian’s late-game meltdowns.
Best episode: We're Doing It Wrong! We're In Big Trouble!

6. Orphan Black | It’s kind of hard to recall an Orphan Black season because of its mysterious plot twist nature but I’ve still been enjoying the show from the
moment it started. As usual, praise to Tatiana Maslany for playing a ridiculous amount of people. This season’s flashbacks with Beth were a bittersweet treat.
Best episode: Transgressive Border Crossing

5. Stranger Things | Somebody should have told me this show was about a multi-dimensional electromagnetic monster in the 80s because I would
have jumped on it way earlier. It’s probably my favourite horror genre media of a great year in the genre. The kids and Winona Ryder were to die for.
Best episode: The Body

4. Game of Thrones | This was missing from my list last year because it was bad (pussy) but, against all biased odds, it came back. I figured that it lost its way
once it diverged from the adaption material but it still isn’t at its peak again. Dumping the Sand Snakes for the Iron Islands plot was a great decision even if the
latter was butchered.
Best episode: The Winds of Winter

3. Broad City | Another year, another list of awards this show was snubbed from. I appreciate it changing the formula with some actual drama within the friendship
and their weird relationships, a less of a reliance on New York being the setting, and the recurring rat. It’s my go-to comedy for insane sequences (the split-screen bathroom, the art gallery, the DMV, Vanessa Williams singing “I poo poo,” the amazing parodies of Mrs Doubtfire and Sister Act 2) that truly need to be seen to understand. I hope it’s the kind of comedy where you can.
Best episode: Two Chainz

2. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt | I adored season one but had a list of minor annoyances that season two expertly fixed. It’s the 30 Rock that we were all missing
because the jokes are rapid fire while having a bizarre (muppet nona) and dark (Tina Fey’s entire character) punctuation to them. You also have to appreciate that the
characters two seasons in are established and stand-out: Kimmy, Titus, Lillian, Jacqueline, and of course, Mimi Kanasis.
Best episode: Kimmy Kidnaps Gretchen!

1. Westworld | I started this a few episodes in so I had the luxury of binge-watching the beginning back to back. Instantly hooked at the beginning and loved to imagine and discuss the questions we all had, but there was a point in the middle of the season where it seemed to be going nowhere with the tone of taking itself too seriously. Fortunately it came full circle by actually providing insight on a standalone story that was thought-provoking while also providing a dumb enjoyable ride. I hate westerns but Westworld changed my opinions on the genre.
Best episode: The Bicameral Mind

Shneak fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Forgot that Venture Bros season 6 was 2016 so I put that in my top 10. God that show comes out on its own time scale that its hard to forget when it comes out :downs:

• Locked thread