Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The kid of the family has one of those crappy chemistry kits in the attic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwKRTO93Y2w

I enjoy leon keep on brand by pissing off chris for no real reason, he probably knows leon was in the better games.

Looks entertainingly bad at least, and more exciting than Damnation was.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Finally got to play the demo a couple times. I got the bad ending and the infected ending. I like it so far. The infected ending was pretty cool.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

I enjoy leon keep on brand by pissing off chris for no real reason, he probably knows leon was in the better games.

Well to be fair, Leon does destroy New York.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

That movie is like a list of reasons why Resident Evil absolutely had to scale back its story.

You either gotta fully embrace crazytown or peel back. Everything about RE6 and seemingly that flick is way too self-serious for how stupid it is.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Caidin posted:

Well to be fair, Leon does destroy New York.

That's the best movie idea i've heard in a long time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lunethex posted:

That's the best movie idea i've heard in a long time.
Taxi Driver, reinterpreted as a Resident Evil game is indeed the best idea.

Vakal posted:

Nah, Chris has just always been jealous since the RCPD was all set to throw a big welcoming party for Leon before everything went to poo poo.

Meanwhil, all Chris got on his first day joining S.T.A.R.S was a Back to the Future 3 calendar.
Holy hell, I totally missed that.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 22, 2016

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
leon's hair or chris' bicep?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

Nah, Chris has just always been jealous since the RCPD was all set to throw a big welcoming party for Leon before everything went to poo poo.

Meanwhil, all Chris got on his first day joining S.T.A.R.S was a Back to the Future 3 calendar.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 23, 2016

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Vakal posted:

Okay that's seriously amazing that anyone even noticed that.

Anyway played the demo once so far and got the bad ending. Welcome to the family and all that.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

RE7's lab

Plot twist: the dog starts talking and it's actually Wesker.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Dear lord Rebecca's 1st appearance in a RE story in a decade and she gets damsel'd? She survived two mansion and a train infested with zombies in a 48 hour period for gently caress's sake. :doh:

seriously can't wait for 7 and a partially new blank slate. It'll be refreshing.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Vakal posted:

Reminds me of how Silent Hill 1 had Kindergarten Cop pictures in the school.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do you guys really watch those RE cgi movies?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I liked the first two.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

I liked the 1st one and bought the second one... Yet for the life of me i can't remember the second's plot... That is probably a sign to stay away.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Reminds me of how Silent Hill 1 had Kindergarten Cop pictures in the school.

It wasn't just pictures, they used the movie to help model a modern American town, especially at the school

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 23, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought degeneration was a documentary about the quality of the resident evil series as a whole.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Diggin' how that trailer is edited in a way that makes it look as if Leon jumps off a bike, willingly sending it to its death, then fires a bullet that goes through a row of buildings and makes them explode.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

GUI posted:

Diggin' how that trailer is edited in a way that makes it look as if Leon jumps off a bike, willingly sending it to its death

BIIIIIIIIKE!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Spiffster posted:

Dear lord Rebecca's 1st appearance in a RE story in a decade and she gets damsel'd? She survived two mansion and a train infested with zombies in a 48 hour period for gently caress's sake. :doh:

seriously can't wait for 7 and a partially new blank slate. It'll be refreshing.

Wasn't she originally a damsel in distress before 0 was made and decided Umbrella needed not one but two mansions with underground labs within walking distance of each other. Oh and the new one connects right into Racoon City proper via a train that goes from the basement.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GUI posted:

Diggin' how that trailer is edited in a way that makes it look as if Leon jumps off a bike, willingly sending it to its death, then fires a bullet that goes through a row of buildings and makes them explode.

Now that you mention it maybe I should watch this after all.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Wasn't she originally a damsel in distress before 0 was made and decided Umbrella needed not one but two mansions with underground labs within walking distance of each other. Oh and the new one connects right into Racoon City proper via a train that goes from the basement.

She was saved once from a hunter yes, but In the original she also helped solve a puzzle chris couldn't, Saved his life when he got bit by a snake and was ensnared by Plant 52. She was pretty drat useful even before 0.

It is a trailer though so it's hard to make a fair judgment til it's out but yeah... just weird seeing that out of the blue.

edit: also yeah Not defending 0's plot. In the grand scheme of it all 0 will always be :wtc:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

They're bad, dumb, and fun. Much like RE as a whole.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Spiffster posted:

It hasn't been that long, Rebecca was also a major character in the stage play...in which she also got damsel'd in the latter half, but still.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Today I found out there was a Hong Kong manhua about Resident Evil 3, and it's pretty great.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Wait is that saying Barry let his family get eaten?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
No, that's Dario, the guy from the trailer truck in RE3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I finally punched a boulder with Chris and finished RE 5 (with help of course).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Son Ryo posted:

No, that's Dario, the guy from the trailer truck in RE3.

Ah yeah looking at it on a computer that definitely doesn't say Barry

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

weekly font posted:

That movie is like a list of reasons why Resident Evil absolutely had to scale back its story.

You either gotta fully embrace crazytown or peel back. Everything about RE6 and seemingly that flick is way too self-serious for how stupid it is.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Though I agree about the escalation dilemma and the narrative problems, though I also love full crazy town and RE 6 especially and Degeneration was awesome too...man I really want to watch that now.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 25, 2016

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i personally enjoy that this insanely stupid movie and re7 can exist in the same universe, simultaneously while still remaining coherent to what was presented before

(???)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I would like it if RE7 ended up being super serious and toned down but still felt like it had to reference the stupidest events in the series with a straight face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I prefer that resident evil is mostly serious. I'm kind of burned out something that is over the top but feels the need to be incredibly ironic about it. Resident Evil being largely 'serious' about itself makes it more enjoyable to me than if it was attempting to force itself. I mean it's self-winking (especially Rev2) but at least genuine wants to approach this insane biowarfare world as a thing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I prefer that resident evil is mostly serious. I'm kind of burned out something that is over the top but feels the need to be incredibly ironic about it. Resident Evil being largely 'serious' about itself makes it more enjoyable to me than if it was attempting to force itself. I mean it's self-winking (especially Rev2) but at least genuine wants to approach this insane biowarfare world as a thing.

Depends on the quality, I prefer a really well done take on over-the-top intentional cheese (RE4) than the to me less entertaining RE6's tone. I love stuff like RE2's "You lose big boy", that kind of 80s action movie one liner and sort of fun vibe I think is a good part of the series. And it's not like Schwarzenneger saying ridiculous/awesome lines in Commando is ironic, it's just intentionally funny/ludicrous. Ironic isn't the only way to approach an over-the-top not entirely serious tone.

But there are a lot of mixtures of things in RE, I think the beginning of RE4 is the series at it's most intense, but the game is also often the series at it's most funny. A good RE could have a mix of tones.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 25, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just don't want Resident Evil to try and actually be serious (A la George Romero) because I don't think it can pull it off. I like the goofy camp but I don't want the franchise to swing into Kung Fury style of cynicism about its own material.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm fine with it being serious too, but most of RE6 felt like they just forgot what the series' tone is supposed to be. Chris' and Leon's campaigns were just devoid of fun. From what I remember of Revelations though, it seemed to do a decent job of it, but I haven't played the second one.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Momomo posted:

Leon's campaign was just devoid of fun.

I'm sorry, what? If nothing else, almost every line that came out of Simmons' mouth was gold.

"What, are they running down the streets, screaming it to anyone who'll listen?!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Momomo posted:

I'm fine with it being serious too, but most of RE6 felt like they just forgot what the series' tone is supposed to be. Chris' and Leon's campaigns were just devoid of fun. From what I remember of Revelations though, it seemed to do a decent job of it, but I haven't played the second one.

Chris' campaign was fun but not in the standard resident evil way. It reminded me more of an 80's homoerotic action flick.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I love that Chris' campaign just devolves into BioShock at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Raxivace posted:

I just don't want Resident Evil to try and actually be serious (A la George Romero) because I don't think it can pull it off. I like the goofy camp but I don't want the franchise to swing into Kung Fury style of cynicism about its own material.

The less Resident Evil games feel like Resident Evil movies the better.