Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, they still have a 200/750/750 plan for free so I moved my RP phone to it. They let me move with no charge so I still have $6 of my original $10 left. It's a shame but their business model is weird.

They are basically a secret Sprint shop that use free service to prop up subscriber head counts. Their pricing structure encourage people get multiple phones and plans.

They also help Sprint get rip of used/refub Sprint phones. Freedompop too. They have millions of refub LG tablet that go on sale all the time.

I really like R+'s online website. It's very clean and functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Redpocket is having their yearly sale again. 1 year of service with monthly 1000 min/text and 500MB LTE data for $150. Comes out to $12.50 a month. You can choose between tmobile, att, sprint and even verizon.

I used it for the past year with verizon towers and the service was reliable. Highly recommended.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131593551826

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Will the $50/8 cricket deal likely be grandfathered in after the promo ends? I am.on the 2.5 GB right now and usually hit about 3 GB at the end of my statement, and just deal with the low speeds. That much more data for $10 might actually make me switch over.

No wifi at work and I even avoid data heavy things and still end up with 3gb used

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Will the $50/8 cricket deal likely be grandfathered in after the promo ends? I am.on the 2.5 GB right now and usually hit about 3 GB at the end of my statement, and just deal with the low speeds. That much more data for $10 might actually make me switch over.

No wifi at work and I even avoid data heavy things and still end up with 3gb used

Most likely, they had a promo last year where you could get 20gb for $60 (instead of 10gb) which people have been able to keep.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, for people who are obsessed with getting free service or "freemium" service for free, I now find Freedompop's offerings slightly better than Ringplus.

FP has this new GSM option that's superior to their Sprint options. They run 25 cent promotion all they time. If you don't trust them use a prepaid VISA or Amex card. What you get is data only sim card that comes with 200MB data per month only. It runs on UK 3 carrier and can roam on both ATT and Tmobile.

Now the fun part is you can add "Freedompop Friends" and get 500MB more data. And you can also use your secondary accounts to "gift" your main account 100MB each, up to 500MB max. So let's say you have 2 main accounts and 5 secondary accounts, you can get 1200MB per sim for the 2 main sim cards. You can use these sim cards on any unlocked GSM phone. Want to use cheap rear end China phone that's not even released for NA? No problem!

There is overage charge but you can pay 1 time charge of $5 to "buy" the option of put a hard cap on your data.

I know its not convenient to people who like to own only 1 phone at a time. However I just picked up a couple Ascebd XT for $50 each and have a lot of fun with them.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 1, 2016

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
What's the cheapest I can get away with to grab a new cell phone number that I can just load up for $10-20, get my text messages I need - and just keep the number? I'm not interested in having a monthly plan with this number, just maybe a handful of minutes and some messages.

I already have a number and a phone/plan that I'm happy with... I just play a lot of CS and have friends that play too and want to add prime to my secondary account for party play. (Not really a smurf, one rank lower than main).

I have a Nexus 6Pp and T-Mobile. Is my best option to grab a line from T-Mobile pay as you go? Can I just ask them for a sim+additional phone number and to fill up once?

Besides looking at some family plans a year ago, I don't have much experience with prepaid and phone lines.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

So you don't actually want a phone, just another phone number?

There's a gazillion ways to do that, including one just announced by T-Mobile themselves.
https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/digits.htm

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Audax posted:

What's the cheapest I can get away with to grab a new cell phone number that I can just load up for $10-20, get my text messages I need - and just keep the number? I'm not interested in having a monthly plan with this number, just maybe a handful of minutes and some messages.

I already have a number and a phone/plan that I'm happy with... I just play a lot of CS and have friends that play too and want to add prime to my secondary account for party play. (Not really a smurf, one rank lower than main).

I have a Nexus 6Pp and T-Mobile. Is my best option to grab a line from T-Mobile pay as you go? Can I just ask them for a sim+additional phone number and to fill up once?

Besides looking at some family plans a year ago, I don't have much experience with prepaid and phone lines.

Like a burner phone, basically? Or just a SIM to swap? Either way, literally anything in this thread will work. I think a lot of people are too used to being screwed by the big carriers- in prepaid land, saying "I just want a cheap plan without having to do any work" is actually the standard way things happen.

I think T-Mobile is GSM network too, so you can use pretty much any non-Verizon carrier out there. Meaning pretty much anything in thread is fine for you.

So the Freemium guy just before you posted some options if you want dirt-dirt cheap. Or yeah adding a line at T-Mobile is probably easiest if you already go to a shop when you refill. Cricket starts at $30 for unlimited talk and text and is highly recommended all around, no contract, etc. Pick an option that looks cool, do a search to make sure they say your phone is compatible (or that they have a free phone that you like, if this is a burner), and you're done.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

revdrkevind posted:

Like a burner phone, basically? Or just a SIM to swap? Either way, literally anything in this thread will work. I think a lot of people are too used to being screwed by the big carriers- in prepaid land, saying "I just want a cheap plan without having to do any work" is actually the standard way things happen.

I think T-Mobile is GSM network too, so you can use pretty much any non-Verizon carrier out there. Meaning pretty much anything in thread is fine for you.

Preferably the SIM to swap. The catch is Valve's premium matchmaking that I'm trying to use requires a valid US phone number that's not VOIP (I tried Google Voice, it didn't work).
I think I'll just go to a Wally World/T-Mobile and ask them how to do this - just a phone number that I don't want to add to my current phone plan, I just want to use it prepaid.

Rastor posted:

So you don't actually want a phone, just another phone number?

There's a gazillion ways to do that, including one just announced by T-Mobile themselves.
https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/digits.htm

Yeah I read that earlier when it came out but I was confused. I read it as more of a google-voice solution and not a way to get a 2nd burner number.

Thanks guys.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
My wife and I currently use Cricket (Android and iphone 5s). My mother in law wants to sell us their old iphone 6s and 6s+ on Verizon. Can I get these unlocked to work on Cricket, or would we need to open prepaid Verizon accounts? If so, what is the best?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Bigass Moth posted:

My wife and I currently use Cricket (Android and iphone 5s). My mother in law wants to sell us their old iphone 6s and 6s+ on Verizon. Can I get these unlocked to work on Cricket, or would we need to open prepaid Verizon accounts? If so, what is the best?

All of the Verizon LTE phones are unlocked already; just pop in the Cricket SIM and go hog wild.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

nimper posted:

All of the Verizon LTE phones are unlocked already; just pop in the Cricket SIM and go hog wild.

This is correct. The iPhone 5s has a nano sim but your Android might still have a micro sim and need to be cut down a bit but there are several guides online.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I've found a phone repair places usually have a tool to cut a SIM cards down to smaller sizes.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cbirdsong posted:

I've found a phone repair places usually have a tool to cut a SIM cards down to smaller sizes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Standard-Re...tcAAOSwIBBUaqCz

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

cbirdsong posted:

General point that might be useful for anyone who didn't realize it. The shiny bit of the sim card is seriously all that matters (well and the almost microscopically thin bit behind it). You can just cut a sim card with scissors although be sane, use an Xacto or have someone who knows what they're doing handle it for you. In some places they manufacture the important bit on a sticker so you can just put that on an appropriately-sized mule.

Point being, yes literally it's just a question of lining up the contacts inside the slot so don't worry about different sized sim cards. Even if the shop didn't have a press, you could whittle down your sim card with nail clippers if it was a matter of urgency. You can shim up a smaller card with paper if you're an insane hobo, whatever.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Working right now on revamping the whole OP since it's sorely outdated.

Thinking of only listing a plan if it has at least 1GB of data instead of 250MB as it is now. Thoughts?

Also, when did H2O get so...awful in terms of phone choices? They apparently stopped carrying iPhones and decided that old or lovely Android phones were okay.

Cricket's new plan for 1GB of data is just named "NEW!" on their page. That's boring.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Let me know if you want me help with the cheap rear end plans.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ting - best if you're not using more than 1gb data and need international roaming (T-Mobile network - $30 or less depending on usage)

Google Fi - best if you're not using more than 1gb data and need international roaming (multiple networks - $30 or less depending on usage)

Cricket - best if you're not using more than 1gb data and don't need international roaming (AT&T network - $30)

T-Mobile Nerd Plan - best if you're using more than 1gb data, don't talk a lot, and don't need international roaming (T-Mobile network - $30)

I think that's about it for cheap plans. Total Wireless is around also (Verizon network - $35) but has poor reviews on this site and elsewhere.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

EugeneJ posted:

I think that's about it for cheap plans. Total Wireless is around also (Verizon network - $35) but has poor reviews on this site and elsewhere.

I'm on Total and have nothing but good things to say about it. Double the data I had on Cricket for about the same price, and I actually get reception at work now. It's wonderful.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is it important to mention cricket has no additional taxes/fees?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Straight Talk doesn't even hide that their Auto Refill discounts are poo poo.

You literally only save $1.

I don't even think I'll mention the "discount" since they only work for two plans and you don't really save anything anyway.

Don't use Straight Talk. You're better off NEVER using Straight Talk.

whatever7 posted:

Thanks. Mostly all the plans have changed for the worst except Cricket and Fi, so far...

EugeneJ posted:

Ting - best if you're not using more than 1gb data and need international roaming (T-Mobile network - $30 or less depending on usage)

Google Fi - best if you're not using more than 1gb data and need international roaming (multiple networks - $30 or less depending on usage)

Cricket - best if you're not using more than 1gb data and don't need international roaming (AT&T network - $30)

T-Mobile Nerd Plan - best if you're using more than 1gb data, don't talk a lot, and don't need international roaming (T-Mobile network - $30)

That's true... I'll keep the 250MB/mo thing but it's been 500MB/mo so far.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Is it important to mention cricket has no additional taxes/fees?

It's already there, yeah.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Be sure to point out for time travelers that the Advanced plan on Cricket is 20GB for $60 ($55 with autopay) and is something you can be grandfathered in to.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Be sure to point out for time travelers that the Advanced plan on Cricket is 20GB for $60 ($55 with autopay) and is something you can be grandfathered in to.

Yah, got that there too.

Oh hey, Omaha has Fi now. I dropped Cricket and moved over to Project Fi a few days ago.

Yeah, I'm losing 20GB of throttled LTE, but I have a better signal, full LTE, basically unlimited data because it's 1 cent/MB, and I only used at most 750MB per month anyway.

I'm currently on the US Cellular network and it's fuckin' fast as hell.

Maybe I can move away from Cox to Google Fiber next year. Probably not though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yah, got that there too.

Oh hey, Omaha has Fi now. I dropped Cricket and moved over to Project Fi a few days ago.

Yeah, I'm losing 20GB of throttled LTE, but I have a better signal, full LTE, basically unlimited data because it's 1 cent/MB, and I only used at most 750MB per month anyway.

I'm currently on the US Cellular network and it's fuckin' fast as hell.

Maybe I can move away from Cox to Google Fiber next year. Probably not though.

WHAT

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

You should give it a shot.:D

Oh, someone feel free to make a new thread title if you guys want. I'm not sure how to do that though since I don't have PMs or anything yet. Unfortunately, the Net10 thing ceased to be relevant about a week after I made this thread.

Oops. :v:

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Dec 23, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm on Total and have nothing but good things to say about it. Double the data I had on Cricket for about the same price, and I actually get reception at work now. It's wonderful.

Same, total wireless is good

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How things will look in the new OP.

Thoughts? Additions? I was trying to think about what people care about more than just tethering and throttling, but I couldn't... any suggestions?

Also, the last few things in the plans:

quote:

Eligible for Group Save Discount: No
Unlimited International Texting: No
Unlimited Voice/Text/Data to and from Mexico and Canada: No

will be different depending on the carrier. Not sure if that's a good idea or not...might get confusing.

The goal is to be more to the point and make the OP less loving huge because, right now, it's huge and I think it can be consolidated if I remove outdated info and reword things.

Carrier: AT&T (GSM)
Tethering: Yes (only if you use a Cricket-branded device)
Throttling: Yes (4MBps for HSPA+, 8MBps for LTE, and 256KBps after your data bucket is used up)
Wi-Fi Calling: No

The new Cricket Wireless is basically the old AIO Wireless. AT&T bought Cricket Wireless from Leap Wireless and then renamed AIO to Cricket. Then they killed off the CDMA and made people buy new phones.

The service isn't anywhere near as bad as it used to be and the customer support is also MUCH better. Do not let any brick-and-mortar Cricket store charge you to install a SIM card though. Some of them do charge

If you don't want to buy a SIM card on Cricket's site, you can go to Walmart ($9.88) or use Amazon ($9.99).

If you do want Cricket, there are a few in the thread who can toss you a referral code. While a referral code is not needed for service, it does get you a $25 credit on your bill after 60 days of continuous, paid-on-time service from both you and the person who referred you. Want a referral to Cricket? Awesome. Ask in the thread for a Cricket goon to give you one.

Notable Phones:
iPhone 7
iPhone 7 Plus
Galaxy S 6
Galaxy S 7
Can bring your own device (make sure it's unlocked and works on AT&T's bands)

Current Plans:
NOTE: All prices are flat-rate and include all taxes and fees. What you see is what you pay. You do not have to use AutoPay and can pay anytime before it automatically comes out of your account.

• NEW!
    Price (Monthly): $30 (not eligible for Auto Pay)
    Voice and Text: Unlimited
    Data: 1GB of LTE

• Basic
    Price (Monthly): $40 ($35 with Auto Pay discount)
    Data: 2.5GB of LTE
    Eligible for Group Save Discount: Yes

• Smart
    Price (Monthly): $50 ($45 with Auto Pay discount)
    Data: 8GB of LTE
    Unlimited International Texting: Yes
    Unlimited Voice/Text/Data to and from Mexico and Canada: Yes, as long as 50% of it is used in the US first.

• Pro
    Price (Monthly): $60 ($55 with Auto Pay discount)
    Data: 10GB of LTE
    Unlimited Voice/Text/Data to and from Mexico and Canada: Yes, as long as 50% of it is used in the US first.

• Unlimited
    Price (Monthly): $70 ($65 with Auto Pay discount)
    Data: Unlimited LTE

• Advanced (Discontinued, must have switched to this before 4/9/2015 to be grandfathered in)
    Price (Monthly): $60 ($55 with Auto Pay discount)
    Data: 20GB of LTE

NOTE: If you lapse on a payment and you are grandfathered in, you will lose the Advanced Plan permanently.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

drat, I'm kind of up in the air regarding whether I want to switch to Fi.

On one hand, faster data is nice in the absolute but I don't run into issues with it being too slow on Cricket. On the other, I pay $55 for 20GB of fast-enough data and looking at my historical usage it looks like I would want to get a 4GB plan from Fi to be safe. That brings it to 60+ taxes and fees but naturally I'd be getting a little of that back since I don't quite use 4GB monthly.

Third hand: I've basically used my GV number as my primary contact number for years and there's always been the slight jankiness that comes with stuff like SMS and MMS on GV, as well as the way voicemail gets forwarded making it so that I sometimes end up getting a voicemail out of nowhere because the call never rang my phone. The voicemail then gets transcribed and texted to hangouts (notification #2 on Hangouts) and messenger. Being able to go back to the level of integration GV had with Sprint back in the day would be incredibly nice.

Other than that, I am really thinking it's a wash and I might just try it out for a month or two once we've finished moving into the house we just bought. The mortgage is about $140 cheaper than the rent so it isn't so much a question of disposable income (poo poo it wasn't before, she's a doctor and I'm a banker) but whether I really get bothered by a data cap I might be realistically hitting, versus the benefits of having my GV number be my SIM number and changing the odd couple of places where I had to give my SIM# because it couldn't validate the GV# via text.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

drat, I'm kind of up in the air regarding whether I want to switch to Fi.

On one hand, faster data is nice in the absolute but I don't run into issues with it being too slow on Cricket. On the other, I pay $55 for 20GB of fast-enough data and looking at my historical usage it looks like I would want to get a 4GB plan from Fi to be safe. That brings it to 60+ taxes and fees but naturally I'd be getting a little of that back since I don't quite use 4GB monthly.

Third hand: I've basically used my GV number as my primary contact number for years and there's always been the slight jankiness that comes with stuff like SMS and MMS on GV, as well as the way voicemail gets forwarded making it so that I sometimes end up getting a voicemail out of nowhere because the call never rang my phone. The voicemail then gets transcribed and texted to hangouts (notification #2 on Hangouts) and messenger. Being able to go back to the level of integration GV had with Sprint back in the day would be incredibly nice.

Other than that, I am really thinking it's a wash and I might just try it out for a month or two once we've finished moving into the house we just bought. The mortgage is about $140 cheaper than the rent so it isn't so much a question of disposable income (poo poo it wasn't before, she's a doctor and I'm a banker) but whether I really get bothered by a data cap I might be realistically hitting, versus the benefits of having my GV number be my SIM number and changing the odd couple of places where I had to give my SIM# because it couldn't validate the GV# via text.

Getting rid of the Voice app on my phone was SUPER nice. Know what else is super nice? Wi-Fi Calling.

Also I can tether whenever I want to. I can have my tablet as a shopping list again that'll sync to Keep across devices and no one will tell me no you can't because you don't have a carrier branded device. Plus, that cap really is minimalistic in the long run. A friend of mine on Fi went 122MB over, got charged $1.23 cents extra on his bill. I mean, obviously don't go absolutely crazy but if you're only using 4GB anyway...

Other fun things I'll be putting in the OP is you get data roaming to AT&T and Verizon if you need to, it's counted as your normal data and doesn't cost extra. The data outside of the US is still the same as well as it counts as your usual $10/1 GB fare.

C'moooooon. You know you wanna. It's one of the few things Omaha has that's not Cox or Century Link! haha

https://g.co/fi/r/22T3RA - If you use this code, we both get $20 in credit after you're active for 30 days.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Well, the free RingPlus experiment has died and now they're actually charging cash money for airtime and still playing ads.

My uncle has been riding the RingPlus train and had gotten used to having a free 1500 or 2000 minutes or whatever he had. Previously he had some Virgin Mobile Obamaphone with a pittance of minutes, but was able to reuse the same handset on RingPlus.

In this world of cheap prepaid smartphone plans, on what prepaid plans are people putting their tech-illiterate grandmas who love to chat? He doesn't need data or more than a few dozen texts, but manages to use 1200+ minutes calling people to talk about great fishing spots and illuminati conspiracy theories. Even at $.02/minute, $24/month seems like way too much money for a dumb phone.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 23, 2016

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

whatever7 posted:

I'm gonna need help understanding exactly which plans to put in the OP for RingPlus.

Also, the chart probably needs updating too.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

ThermoPhysical posted:

Carrier: AT&T (GSM)
Tethering: Yes (only if you use a Cricket-branded device)
Throttling: Yes (4MBps for HSPA+, 8MBps for LTE, and 256KBps after your data bucket is used up)
Wi-Fi Calling: No

As I recall, I couldn't tether on my Cricket branded device unless I paid $10/month extra.

I swapped my Cricket SIM into an unlocked phone and I could tether fine.

YMMV

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

As I recall, I couldn't tether on my Cricket branded device unless I paid $10/month extra.

I swapped my Cricket SIM into an unlocked phone and I could tether fine.

YMMV

When I swapped from the Nexus 4 to 6, I had to get a new SIM and the new SIM wouldn't tether.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/plans-and-features/mobile-hotspot/customer/mobile-hotspot.html
https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/plans-and-features/mobile-hotspot/customer/hotspot-compatible-phones.html

Though this is their official statement on that.

Anyway, how does that format look compared to how it is now?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm gonna need help understanding exactly which plans to put in the OP for RingPlus.

Also, the chart probably needs updating too.

IMO the only important plan is the free plan

quote:

Mad Avatar
and maybe include this one too

quote:

Mad Bottomless Apple $7.99 + tax Draws from Top Up ($15 Top Up Required)
300min 300txt 300mms 300 MB- LTE Full Speed + Unlimited 2g

I will make a post for Ringplus and one for Freedompop so you can link them to my posts or quote them.

Just think of the Ringplus CEO as this guy

and any usage is for recreation and entertainment only.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 23, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Getting rid of the Voice app on my phone was SUPER nice. Know what else is super nice? Wi-Fi Calling.

Also I can tether whenever I want to. I can have my tablet as a shopping list again that'll sync to Keep across devices and no one will tell me no you can't because you don't have a carrier branded device. Plus, that cap really is minimalistic in the long run. A friend of mine on Fi went 122MB over, got charged $1.23 cents extra on his bill. I mean, obviously don't go absolutely crazy but if you're only using 4GB anyway...

Other fun things I'll be putting in the OP is you get data roaming to AT&T and Verizon if you need to, it's counted as your normal data and doesn't cost extra. The data outside of the US is still the same as well as it counts as your usual $10/1 GB fare.

C'moooooon. You know you wanna. It's one of the few things Omaha has that's not Cox or Century Link! haha

https://g.co/fi/r/22T3RA - If you use this code, we both get $20 in credit after you're active for 30 days.

When I use my GV number on Fi does it like "port out" from GV and make it unusable as the virtual number it is currently? Like VOIP calling on my computer. I don't do that very often but I'm more worried about the in-between while I'm waiting for Google to ship the SIM.

E: oh fine I signed up with your referral code, it'll be a long drat while before that SIM gets here though, it won't even be leaving their warehouse until Wednesday so I imagine I'll be set up some time in January lol. One of the problems I remembered having with Cricket is the abysmal rural coverage. Granted, I don't venture past like 144th unless I absolutely have to, and work is like the only reason I'm regularly even going out past 90th, but we went to the NE Star Party this past summer and I had no service for like 3-4 of the ~6 hour drive, plus there was no service outside Valentine, which was a half hour from the Merritt Reservoir where the NSP was going on so not only did I have no signal, I was a half hour from a signal and the only reason me and a couple friends weren't caught in a thunderstorm that came in when we were getting drunk on the lake shore was that one of them had this beat up old clamshell phone (smartphones had long since been turned off since they were as good as dead without a signal) that started going off with severe tstorm alerts so we grabbed the chairs and booze and made it back to the tents as it started loving pouring.

No idea what carrier that dude had, he probably mentioned it but such memories belong to Dionysus now.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 24, 2016

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

When I use my GV number on Fi does it like "port out" from GV and make it unusable as the virtual number it is currently? Like VOIP calling on my computer. I don't do that very often but I'm more worried about the in-between while I'm waiting for Google to ship the SIM.

E: oh fine I signed up with your referral code, it'll be a long drat while before that SIM gets here though, it won't even be leaving their warehouse until Wednesday so I imagine I'll be set up some time in January lol.

You have the option of giving the number to Google to use for Project Fi, porting it out to another Google account (they even tell you you can do this so it's not against TOS or anything, it's also free), or just letting it disappear forever as you cannot have Google Voice and Fi active on the same account.

If you leave Fi, however, the number will go back to Google Voice so you won't lose it or anything.

In fact, your GV number will remain a GV number until you activate the SIM (which you can do online or just by opening the Project Fi app with the SIM in your phone).

You can still make and take calls on your PC, text, block numbers, all that but if you have Wi-Fi Calling on in the phone app, it will take priority unless you turn Wi-Fi Calling off.

EDIT: Sweet! Yah, I ordered before December 20th so 2-day shipping was free.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

You have the option of giving the number to Google to use for Project Fi, porting it out to another Google account (they even tell you you can do this so it's not against TOS or anything, it's also free), or just letting it disappear forever as you cannot have Google Voice and Fi active on the same account.

If you leave Fi, however, the number will go back to Google Voice so you won't lose it or anything.

In fact, your GV number will remain a GV number until you activate the SIM (which you can do online or just by opening the Project Fi app with the SIM in your phone).

You can still make and take calls on your PC, text, block numbers, all that but if you have Wi-Fi Calling on in the phone app, it will take priority unless you turn Wi-Fi Calling off.

EDIT: Sweet! Yah, I ordered before December 20th so 2-day shipping was free.

Nice. I'll probably end up switching over then, I bought a Pixel XL when they got released so I can just slap the SIM in and goog it up.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Is there a way to get a free Cricket SIM card?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Pissingintowind posted:

Is there a way to get a free Cricket SIM card?

No. But they're available on Amazon for $4.99 and you do get one included if you buy a phone from cricket so I guess that's technically free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I'll also say I can use my Oneplus One's wireless Hotspot with Cricket and it works totally fine. Actually for like 2 months it was the only internet I had, I switched to the unlimited plan and used some insane amount of data through the Hotspot, like over a terabyte