Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Each pillar battle actually represents a team of 9 (IIRC), so a lot of servants ascend just to deal with that many. So far it seems every single Goethia demon minus one is accounted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Alright I got some spare friend slots apparently, anyone here on this list goons?

quote:

みらい
へたれせイバー
りょうま(Is this supposed to mean Demon Dragon?)
漆黒 ("Jet Black" you chuuni rear end in a top hat I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out this Kanji)
msz_zzz
豊水 ("Abundance of water"?)
フレありがとうございます (:3:)
アンリ
ひもの
腐ったプリン ("Rotting/Depraved Pudding"?, never mind, we have a winner here!)
onion

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kuro complains about having to fight tentacle monsters as a magical girl :pwn:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wait, just so I'm clear, is there any reason for me to continue rushing through Babylon now? I'm trying to decide whether to continue Babylon or grind caster XP cards for Merlin today.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, just so I'm clear, is there any reason for me to continue rushing through Babylon now? I'm trying to decide whether to continue Babylon or grind caster XP cards for Merlin today.

There's probably going to be a final, final raid boss for Solomon himself. There should still be time to make it, though why they didn't set things even higher I have no idea, especially with the weekend/a holiday-ish period even in Japan coming up.

I should be able to finish Babylon today and join in for final pokes.

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Holy crap, that means all the event singularities are canon.

I thought this had been understood for some time? Yes, all the events are canon. Chaldea got into some goofy poo poo in between participating in multiple brutal servant wars.

But I mean, Christmas 2016 for example partially doesn't work if you don't assume it's canon with Orleans and London and happens well after.

And Dantes being summoned by Solomon was something I idly wondered but wasn't sure they'd go whole hog on.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 23, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

There's probably going to be a final, final raid boss for Solomon himself. There should still be time to make it, though why they didn't set things even higher I have no idea, especially with the weekend/a holiday-ish period even in Japan coming up.

I should be able to finish Babylon today and join in for final pokes.
Ah, I'll see how far I can get then. I was a little bummed because I'm all out of those ascension note items (that I need to ascend Merlin) and heard this column thing dropped them.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

There are always Xp Dailies to grind, even when nothing is going on, but events are limited time only, so focus on getting there.

Trying to convince myself more than you here to finally finish that bloody story

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Random F/SN question - Shirou says how he couldn't beat anyone but Gilgamesh by using UBW, but why not? Can't he also shoot swords everywhere just like Gilgamesh? Does Gilgamesh just shoot the swords harder or something (though if he did it seems like Shirou wouldn't have been able to deflect them as easily).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Still no 5-Star, but I got Rama! Woo!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Shirou is only good at copying weapon.

Gil only owns shitload of weapons.

Both are not proficient in these weapons.

UBW give Shirou an edge to matching up with the weapon spamming.

Gil is too egotistic to go all out on mongue. Refuse to use Ea and the chain of heaven. The chain literally saved him twice against herk and alex.

Shirou should had never won under other circumstances.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Well, technically, shirou still didn't win since gil is still standing and ready to end shirou, but the plot 'dark' hole interrupted him, and even then, gil used his chain to suicide with shirou if archer didn't interfered.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nyaa posted:

Shirou is only good at copying weapon.

Gil only owns shitload of weapons.

Both are not proficient in these weapons.

UBW give Shirou an edge to matching up with the weapon spamming.

Gil is too egotistic to go all out on mongue. Refuse to use Ea and the chain of heaven. The chain literally saved him twice against herk and alex.

Shirou should had never won under other circumstances.

I got the impression that against Alexander Gilgamesh just felt like using the chain and could have moved backwards and continued shooting him with swords if he wanted to instead. Like, Gilgamesh seemed to make a point of standing in one spot the entire fight.

But yeah, I understand how Shirou would have definitely lost if Gilgamesh were taking him seriously from the start. But I don't see why Shirou/Archer wouldn't also be capable of defeating a bunch of servants using Gil's "shoot a bunch of swords" strategy.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

It's quite symbolic in a way that his best friend Enkide's chain saved him so many time.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Ytlaya posted:

. But I don't see why Shirou/Archer wouldn't also be capable of defeating a bunch of servants using Gil's "shoot a bunch of swords" strategy.
Same reason why caster's laser beam spam didn't kill anyone. :confuoot:

Edit: It was shirou's better 'swordmanship' that really harmed gil in the end.

Edit2: all the time he spent training with saber did not go to waste.

Edit 3: the biggest factor is still Gil hesitation to pull Ea in battle, and that's always a big no no that will cost your life or arm.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 23, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nyaa posted:

Same reason why caster's laser beam spam didn't kill anyone. :confuoot:

Edit: It was shirou's better 'swordmanship' that really harmed gil in the end.

Haha, yeah. On a somewhat related note, if you think about it a lot of the Noble Phantasms in this series are basically win buttons unless the narrative happens to be written in such a way that they're used against someone who just happens to have an ability that counters them. Like Lancer's thrown Gae Bolg; unless someone just happens to have a super powerful shield, like Archer, what do you even do against that? It never misses. Or Alexander's reality marble NP. I tend to prefer the NPs that can be used creatively in some way, like Rule Breaker, Diarmuid's spears, etc.

I guess you could argue that this is where the Master comes in, though. Like, the Master has to take into account that many other servants have an automatic win button and come up with a strategy around that.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

You can also survive gae bolg if you have high luck stat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nyaa posted:

You can also survive gae bolg if you have high luck stat.

Isn't that just the "reverses cause and effect" version, not the thrown "blows up several blocks" version?

edit: And the reverses cause and effect version can also be avoided just by keeping far enough away from Lancer when he charges his spear up.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, I'll see how far I can get then. I was a little bummed because I'm all out of those ascension note items (that I need to ascend Merlin) and heard this column thing dropped them.

Well let me put it this way: the event is still budgeted for at least 170 or so hours still, I believe. They may respawn the raid versions of the Ars Goetia Demon Pillars for the weekend crowd, but we'll see.

I'm definitely getting there tonight, but we'll see what's still alive by then :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Actually, Shirou won because tracing a weapon also copies the skills of the wearer, while Gilgamesh has no innate talent to use the weapons he owns.

:goonsay:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, Shirou won because tracing a weapon also copies the skills of the wearer, while Gilgamesh has no innate talent to use the weapons he owns.

:goonsay:

Gilgamesh still would have hosed his poo poo up if he had used Ea from the beginning or worn his golden armor.

edit: But that pride is a fundamental aspect of his character/personality so he'd never do that again a mongrel.

Is it canon that F/SN Gilgamesh was more of a bad person than F/Z Gilgamesh due to the grail ooze or something?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Ytlaya posted:

Random F/SN question - Shirou says how he couldn't beat anyone but Gilgamesh by using UBW, but why not?

Shooting swords at people is a parlor trick that any half decent Servant could easily deal with. It only works for Gilgamesh because he's shooting superweapons, and even then a plain old Gate of Babylon only ever finished off I think Medea.

Not only does UBW shoot shittier swords, but it also drains Shirou dry way too fast. The only situation where it'd be useful is if for some reason Shirou needed to stall for just enough time to run up and slash a dude, and what do you know that happened to be exactly the situation against Gilgamesh.

edit: Also the other guy needs to be standing still for some reason and just let Shirou throw swords at him, which was why Shirou took the time to taunt Gilgamesh first.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 23, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Ytlaya posted:

Is it canon that F/SN Gilgamesh was more of a bad person than F/Z Gilgamesh due to the grail ooze or something?

quote:

Gilgamesh is unable to be controlled or blackened due to his powerful ego that can stave back the mental pollution. He claims that someone would need at least three times that amount to even think about affecting him. However, the incarnation inevitably makes his human side resonate with the people of the era, making him much more destructive and impulsive in the Fifth Holy Grail War compared to the Fourth.
Short answer: Yes.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

He was pretty evil in FZ too

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Shooting swords at people is a parlor trick that any half decent Servant could easily deal with. It only works for Gilgamesh because he's shooting superweapons, and even then a plain old Gate of Babylon only ever finished off I think Medea.
Also one of the 4th war Assassins. And also Lancer, I suppose?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, I get the impression that GoB could handle the vast majority of servants just through shooting them a bunch. I mean, he finished most of Berserker's lives that way.

BlitzBlast posted:

Not only does UBW shoot shittier swords, but it also drains Shirou dry way too fast. The only situation where it'd be useful is if for some reason Shirou needed to stall for just enough time to run up and slash a dude, and what do you know that happened to be exactly the situation against Gilgamesh.

edit: Also the other guy needs to be standing still for some reason and just let Shirou throw swords at him, which was why Shirou took the time to taunt Gilgamesh first.

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that once UBW is actually summoned calling the swords existing within it costs no additional mana (though if the weapons inside are destroyed, remaking them costs mana). Like, isn't that the whole point of UBW? He can summon all the weapons while outside of UBW without activating it, but if he does that each individual weapon costs him mana.

Also, the weapons are apparently at least in the ballpark of the originals in terms of strength, or else they wouldn't help against Gilgamesh's versions (or shooting a bunch of trash swords would suffice, as opposed to having to scan and block them with their copies).

One possibly explanation that comes to mind is that even though all the NP copies exist in UBW, activating them would cost Shirou additional mana, so he can't take advantage of swords that explode or call down lightning or whatever like Gilgamesh can (though Gilgamesh has usually done pretty well by just impaling dudes it seems).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

At the very least, they're special magical artifact swords with all sorts of special properties. Sure, you won't be making them shoot laser beams or call down the heavens but they're still magical artifacts.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the whole "learn the skills of the owner of the original weapon" aspect of UBW was a bit of a missed opportunity for some cool fights. I can imagine a situation with EMIYA switching to different weapons during a fight and having his fighting style keep changing as a result.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I like how after everything in Stay and Zero, Caster Gil has shown us that he's actually amazingly good at being the thing he claims to be when he's there and in charge.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like the whole "learn the skills of the owner of the original weapon" aspect of UBW was a bit of a missed opportunity for some cool fights. I can imagine a situation with EMIYA switching to different weapons during a fight and having his fighting style keep changing as a result.

But then he'd use a degraded NP with skills at best on par with the original wielder against someone without that handicap. And if his opponent recognizes his sword he can guess his fighting style and he's already at a pretty big disadvantage against other melee servants. His two swords may be lovely NPs, but at least they're not degraded and he has a super unique combat style with them, that throws other servants for a loop.
He's supposed to be lovely compared to other servants, so just playing whack-a-mole with the biggest stick he can conjure doesn't sound like something he'd excel at.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
Gilgamesh is a lot more versatile against a regular Servant; like he can have them appear behind or in a dome pattern around a Servant and can open up his portals to spam them in a way that Archer and Shirou can't, or at least not as easily.

Then Gilgamesh has the original weapons with their original states, Shirou's and Archer's lose 1 rank. It isn't clear to be if Shirou can use Broken Phantasm. Archer can, but good luck summoning his Reality Marble before someone like Cu stabs him.

In a sword-pushing contest Shirou and Archer lose; there isn't a way for Archer to outfight Cu with a spear; Archer can probably win if he uses Caladabolg because Cu is weak to it, + Hit & Run tactics; but it's questionable if he can project it and reinforce it in time.

Archer sword spams against Herekles and loses in Fate; supposedly I'd imagine this is because he never has the time to actually summon his Reality Marble which might have given him the ability to fight Herekles on an even playing field; he probably could only kite for so long before Herc gets a swing in not having to protect Illya.

Reddit has a similar question and here's some other ideas:
Also Cu has protection from Arrows, and this is probably why it took Gilgamesh 10-11 hours to win in the Fate route (albeit considering he was likely toying with Lancer, taking his time so Saber and Shirou can escape, and enjoying himself).

Additionally, Gilgamesh has armor, shields, amulets, potions, all sorts of goodies to protect himself that Shirou and Archer (being glass canons) don't (Archer has at least one very good shield but we've never seen Archer use it and other projections at the same time?).

Ytlaya posted:

Doesn't he fight seriously in Hollow Ataraxia with Hrunting?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Archer does a lot better when he is serious enough to do his long range nuking like his class is suppose to do. That owned Saber in three shots. Illya immediately called off Herk because she knew this is bad news even with nine lives.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Archer sword spams against Herekles and loses in Fate; supposedly I'd imagine this is because he never has the time to actually summon his Reality Marble which might have given him the ability to fight Herekles on an even playing field; he probably could only kite for so long before Herc gets a swing in not having to protect Illya.
He was injured, wasn't he?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Additionally, Gilgamesh has armor, shields, amulets, potions, all sorts of goodies to protect himself that Shirou and Archer (being glass canons) don't (Archer has at least one very good shield but we've never seen Archer use it and other projections at the same time?).
Shirou used Rho Aias on the fly against Gil while charging at him, so I'd assume EMIYA could combo it was some offensive projection.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Shirou, and by extension, EMIYA, always have an energy consumption issue, which is what keeps them from being super OP. As Nasu said, if they have the juice to be able to fully power something with an Excalibur-class prana discharge, things get a lot different.

Incidentially, the EMIYA that's in Extella can do this because in the Moon Cell you have infinite magical energy :v:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wuxi posted:

But then he'd use a degraded NP with skills at best on par with the original wielder against someone without that handicap. And if his opponent recognizes his sword he can guess his fighting style and he's already at a pretty big disadvantage against other melee servants. His two swords may be lovely NPs, but at least they're not degraded and he has a super unique combat style with them, that throws other servants for a loop.
He's supposed to be lovely compared to other servants, so just playing whack-a-mole with the biggest stick he can conjure doesn't sound like something he'd excel at.

Oh, I'm referring to not just using other NPs, but switching between them frequently during a fight. So like attacking with some sword NP and then instantly switching to a spear or some other weapon (and the style of its user) to confuse his opponent. Even if he's weaker with any one weapon, effectively having countless different fully developed fighting styles at his disposal could be useful.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Wuxi posted:

He was injured, wasn't he?

IIRC he was recovered by then.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Yeah, I get the impression that GoB could handle the vast majority of servants just through shooting them a bunch. I mean, he finished most of Berserker's lives that way.

GoB's big advantage is that it costs like nothing, so Gilgamesh can just keep up the sustained fire until the other person eventually screws up. But in and of itself you'd have to be a real poo poo Servant to just die right away to bladespam. Remember that Gilgamesh had to break out Enkidu against Berserker.

quote:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that once UBW is actually summoned calling the swords existing within it costs no additional mana (though if the weapons inside are destroyed, remaking them costs mana). Like, isn't that the whole point of UBW?

Yes, that's what UBW does. But manifesting UBW as a Reality Marble isn't free. I'm not sure what's confusing about this.

quote:

Also, the weapons are apparently at least in the ballpark of the originals in terms of strength, or else they wouldn't help against Gilgamesh's versions (or shooting a bunch of trash swords would suffice, as opposed to having to scan and block them with their copies).

They're close, but the main advantage UBW had was that it could just fire more swords at once. That's why Shirou was able to wade through the bladespam at all.

You're honestly overthinking this. The final battle between Shirou and Gilgamesh was Nasu straight up writing everything to go Shirou's way because otherwise it wouldn't even be a contest.

EDIT: Also RIP Halphas.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 24, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Yes, that's what UBW does. But manifesting UBW as a Reality Marble isn't free. I'm not sure what's confusing about this.

Yeah, all I was wondering was why Archer couldn't use UBW against some random servant enemy and then spam weapons Gilgamesh style (since they don't cost extra once it's active).

And I'm totally aware I'm overthinking it! It just bugged me some since visually UBW seems to resemble Gilgamesh's use of Gate of Babylon, but Shirou says "I couldn't defeat anyone but Gilgamesh here." Though I guess the main reason that makes sense is that Shirou wouldn't be able to run away from any other servant inside of UBW (they'd probably be able to instantly gank him before he could do anything and he'd probably have trouble even following them visually to hit them with his blades). EMIYA wouldn't have that problem, though (and since it's only Shirou who says "I couldn't defeat anyone else" that doesn't mean EMIYA couldn't win against a bunch of people inside of UBW).

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So guess who appeared in my random one ticket.

I don't deserve this...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like Merlin's art and the use of colors in his portrait. I'll probably use him more than Waver (in situations that don't call for using both) just because I like the way he looks more (even though overall I think Waver is still a bit better in most situations).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

0_0

My last two tickets gave me D'Eon and Merlin. My luck's finally turning around.

Edit: Robin Hood keeps being awesome fighting the Saber pillar. 200 000 damage on his NP is the norm.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 24, 2016