Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

doverhog posted:

Did you you know V for Vendetta the movie is based on a 1988 graphic novel by Alan Moore? You should check the original out.

I knew there was a Moore comic that it's based off of, but I've never read it. How "based" is it? Watchman, where it's real drat close, or Super Mario Bros, where there is a plumber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I knew there was a Moore comic that it's based off of, but I've never read it. How "based" is it? Watchman, where it's real drat close, or Super Mario Bros, where there is a plumber?

Well the movie is much less boring than the original since the original is an Alan Moore piece and he's very bad at what he does.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's based on a serial by Alan Moore in Warrior in the early 1980s actually :smugmrgw:

Yes, I'm sure the studio buying the option or the guys making the movie read Warrior in 1980. In any case, the comic is different, mainly in that V is not in any way a hero. He's a tragic consequence of fascism and government terrorism, a monster they created, but still unequivocally a monster.

The plot is fairly close, but like Watchmen the tone and the message of the piece is more or less completely lost.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

I looked them up and his young husband is gross and should wash his hair.

fry's been repressed and celibate for like 2/3rds of his life

let him have his rookie life mistakes

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

Yes, I'm sure the studio buying the option or the guys making the movie read Warrior in 1980.

I don't know or care about those guys, that's just where I read it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ok Jerry. Name a writer that is good if Alan Moore is bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

Tolstoy? I don't care about Moore either way, but lol if you think he ranks anywhere outside the decidedly mediocre part of the spectrum.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

Comics aren't made by a writer. That's the problem with Alan Moore; he's in love with his own writing and thinks comics are the right place to put a lot of text in.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

So did you actually read Tolstoy, or pick his name from a list of classics to have someone you know is safe to call "good"?

Jerry, that's a fine opinion to have, but you didn't answer the question.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Er almost any writer outside of superhero comics?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Any writer outside of superhero comics is good?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

doverhog posted:

There aren't any. The written word is inherently worth less than other art forms.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tolstoy probably got paid by the word which is why he's bad as well. (In fact most of the Russian classics are, for the same reason. Gorki at least got something said in less than 40000 pages.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

Your question was completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Jerry fears to call a writer good, because his only strength is in saying things are bad and a joke.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hard counter posted:

fry's been repressed and celibate for like 2/3rds of his life

let him have his rookie life mistakes

he did, it's why he's a convicted felon

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

So did you actually read Tolstoy, or pick his name from a list of classics to have someone you know is safe to call "good"?

Yes, I have read Anna Karenina and War and Peace as well as his collected correspondence.

Anyway, I went with the one indisputable example. There are literally hundreds of contemporary authors who are leagues ahead of anything the trashy graphic novel genre has ever produced.

doverhog posted:

Any writer outside of superhero comics is good?

Not really, it's just that superhero comics are so bad they make everything else look great in comparison. Stephanie Meyer wouldn't be considered a real author under most circumstances, but put her next to a comic book, and suddenly she looks like the new Charlotte Bronte.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Brian K. Vaughan is pretty good, but aside from that, yeah they don't have a super track record.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan, you are categorically saying that the medium of comics is trashy in and of itself? I'm not saying that Alan Moore is the greatest writer, I'm saying that he is good. This is not an unpopular opinion among, for example, professional critics.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Can I ask why you picked Tolstoy? I mean I know we're just comparing a dude to Moore here but I usually have a hard time appraising people whose original works I haven't actually read because I need a translation of them - some translators make totally different choices and it very much affects the reading of the whole thing. The difference may not be night and day but it's there. Don't get me wrong, I admire the ideas behind Tolstoy's work, the way he constructs and develops them, the topics he'll willing to jump on, etc, etc but I'd personally feel dishonest appraising him because I'm looking at his stuff through a veil somebody else sized up.

Pick posted:

he did, it's why he's a convicted felon

i don't think doing a fraud when he was a teen means he also ticked off the make bad relationship decisions from the common list of poor life choices tho

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Pick posted:

Any time he's speaking off the cuff it's clear he's not that sharp, and to have him rip on Laurie's intelligence is ridiculous. On the other hand, Sandi Toksvig is legitimately very intelligent, so I'm glad I can watch QI now.

Richard Dawkins is an acquaintance and regardless of what you might think of his political positions, he's legitimately extremely smart. Fry is a tryhard.

I take it you mean Hugh Laurie? Is there anything Fry has said specifically? I'm just curious. But yeah, Fry can be pretty insufferable. It's not a question of him acting smart. He probably believes he's a genius, and everybody agreeing doesn't help. He also has a terrible habit of shooting off at the mouth and expressing surprise when people get irritated and call him out on it. After being surprised, he then has a Twitter tantrum. Not so much anymore...he swore off Twitter earlier this year. He's come back, as they always do, but is a lot more subdued.

That said, I don't think he's a bad guy and, despite his bad habits, don't mind him. I like his documentaries. Especially the one where he visited every state in the US.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He does in the QI pilot, even if it's ribbing it's ridiculous coming from someone who genuinely doesn't seem as bright.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

steinrokkan, you are categorically saying that the medium of comics is trashy in and of itself? I'm not saying that Alan Moore is the greatest writer, I'm saying that he is good. This is not an unpopular opinion among, for example, professional critics.

There are probably hundreds of professional critics who have at one or more points in their career expressed the opinion that Santana is a good musician.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

how would fry do as a panelist on sandi's QI tho

would he take first or last

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Pick posted:

He does in the QI pilot, even if it's ribbing it's ridiculous coming from someone who genuinely doesn't seem as bright.

I will have to watch it again. I do remember Laurie barely getting a word in, as he wasn't the strongest personality.

I love QI, but it's difficult to watch episodes, especially the current series, as the BBC is cracking down on American YouTube viewers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

steinrokkan, you are categorically saying that the medium of comics is trashy in and of itself?

If he won't I will. Maybe I would use a different word, but trashy is good enough. Many comics are popular and successful, but only among children/teens (physical or mental). I am sure you are about to point to the ~adult~ comics and "graphic novels", but inserting the word "gently caress" every two words doesn't make it anything any self respecting adult should spend time reading.

Instead, perhaps they should enjoy the works of the great Stephen King.

e: additional unpopular opinion: the steam sale is nothing to get excited about and i can never relate to the "my wallet" jokes. Sure if a game you have been wanting is suddenly on sale then buy it, but usually any game worth buying is only discounted a few dollars and the most heavily discounted ones are things you will play a few hours and never touch again. Big deal.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Dec 24, 2016

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

My writing is absolutely great.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

There are similarities. The setting is the same and V being a vigilante that fucks up a totalitarian regime in Britain using questionable tactics is all there.

In the comics V is far more morally ambiguous and it isn't preachy. They movie screwed that up pretty badly, actually; the entire point of V is that you could see him as either a stalwart freedom fighter or a dangerous terrorist. Or both, really; in the movie he is 100% totally the good guy. The comics, like everything Moore makes, are way more complex than the movie adaptation.

I thought V for Vendetta was a mediocre movie at best. It had its moments but it was pretty forgettable overall.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie take the piss out of each other all the time.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If he won't I will. Maybe I would use a different word, but trashy is good enough. Many comics are popular and successful, but only among children/teens (physical or mental). I am sure you are about to point to the ~adult~ comics and "graphic novels", but inserting the word "gently caress" every two words doesn't make it anything any self respecting adult should spend time reading.

Read Sandman, From Hell and Promethea and report back to the thread to be graded.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fun Home and Maus too

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
loving Ta-Nehesi Coates writes Black Panther now and the idea of him being a mental teenager is laughable.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People write the same passionate defenses about their favorite animes, it doesn't make me more likely to watch/read them. I never denied that talented people don't write/draw comics, just that their intended audience isn't well-adjusted "normal" adults.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The audience I write my fantastic screeds to are unique individuals who all deserve respect.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

From Hell, for example, is over 500 pages, in black and white, and about the police investigation (and freemasons and other stuff) of the Jack the Ripper murders in late 1800s London. The target audience is not teenagers, and there are no superheroes in it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mu Zeta posted:

Fun Home and Maus too

doverhog posted:

Read Sandman, From Hell and Promethea and report back to the thread to be graded.

I've read Maus and some issues of Sandman, and really my reaction was "Why are they ruining this story by chaining it to these pointless visuals?"

Comics and visual novels take written fiction and visual arts and clip both of their wings to produce truly mediocre results.

doverhog posted:

From Hell, for example, is over 500 pages, in black and white, and about the police investigation (and freemasons and other stuff) of the Jack the Ripper murders in late 1800s London. The target audience is not teenagers, and there are no superheroes in it.

That My Little Pony Fallout crossover fanfic is like twenty thousand pages long and prides itself on being gritty.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I've read Maus and some issues of Sandman, and really my reaction was "Why are they ruining this story by chaining it to these pointless visuals?"

Comics and visual novels take written fiction and visual arts and clip both of their wings to produce truly mediocre results.

Yes, well if you feel that combining text and pictures is inherently bad, there's not really much to say to that, other than I don't agree. :11tea:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Goons are comparing Alan Moore and Tolstoy.

You dense motherfuckers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

There are probably hundreds of texts about the same thing that have much more in depth and interesting information because they aren't hampered by having to draw everything and put all the text in speech bubbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

Yes, well if you feel that combining text and pictures is inherently bad, there's not really much to say to that, other than I don't agree. :11tea:

It's just that comics are the worst, most naive and superficial way to go about it!