Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Ash1138 posted:

i have the feeling that one of the two parties in this "partnership" is going to get boned

either amazon finds out that cig is a bunch of amateurs run by an idiot man and they're gonna spend a ton of time and money holding cig's hand

or

cig will find out that there's a huge catch to this deal, like amazon's cloud services cost way more than they can afford, lumberyard can't be twisted to do what they want to do, and/or amazon has some sort of ownership of the things created with lumberjack that severely restricts cig's freedom to sell their game

or maybe all of the above and we're all gonna need more popcorn for 2017

Or Amazon ends up to Star Citizen what Microsoft wound up to Freelancer. I think this would be the most poetic and fitting outcome actually.

e: troll doll catte

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mr.PayDay posted:

Let's buy some missiles and rockets for some fireworks for the engine switch celebration

Are those prices real? Holy poo poo those prices are real.

CIG just destroyed their own business model. Yes, they think people will pay $1 for 1000 UEC.

Yes, they think a big loving missile is worth $70.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I am so intrigued by the timing of this

You announce bad news on a Friday afternoon - that's just PR 101. The Friday before Christmas? That's where the stuff you really want no one to see goes

But the Friday before Christmas and done simultaneously with a new, "anticipated" update? Not only do they want nobody to see it, they also want to be sure that those that do see it are drowned out by other news

And yet...despite all the evidence they want this buried, they went and did a press release

What does it all mean?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
This is ultimate beauty. The completely destabilized CryEngine that was hacked at by amateur developers for years until they refused to even call it by that name (it's STAREngine now, fuckers) specifically to support Chris's ignorance-fueled fever dreams has been dropped wholesale in favor of - whatever Lumberyard is going to let them do.

Since CryEngine wasn't able, with years of hacking, to do nearly anything right (localized physics grids, proper flight physics, atmospheric effects, procedural generation, 1000+ players) even with the CryEngine developers themselves working it into the ground, then logically that will transate directly into being 100% successful when they try to do the same things in a brand new engine.

It's really amazing to me that all that innovative technology that CIG failed to create after 4 years and over 100 million dollars had apparently been created by Amazon this whole time, and they weren't even trying to make a space game. It's a Chris-mas Miracle!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Discord has its moments

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
also intriguing: an engine switch is a huge, radical thing. if this had been going on for an entire year - a year in which their company was in some serious turmoil...

...then how in the world did this news not leak? We have a very real leaker in TheAgent, then there's EightAce, and despite all his huffing and puffing Derek does appear to have some legit inside sources

I'm wondering if this came as a surprise to some CIG employees...?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

SirPenguin posted:

You announce bad news on a Friday afternoon - that's just PR 101. The Friday before Christmas? That's where the stuff you really want no one to see goes

But the Friday before Christmas and done simultaneously with a new, "anticipated" update? Not only do they want nobody to see it, they also want to be sure that those that do see it are drowned out by other news

And yet...despite all the evidence they want this buried, they went and did a press release

What does it all mean?

It means the boss was really proud of this, and everyone else realized that this was publicly making GBS threads the bed, so they agreed to do the press release and then finagled it so that it happened when the fewest people would be paying attention.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sappo569 posted:

Something tells me the ticket database is going to be a purgin' on the 3rd

This is why I gave them until today to respond to my refund request. Holy poo poo am I glad I got it done when I did.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

can already tell on Reddit that "CryEngne at its core, but with much better netcode" is going to be the rallying cry of the faithful

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is why I gave them until today to respond to my refund request. Holy poo poo am I glad I got it done when I did.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

This cluster gently caress of a tire fire keeps burner brighter each and every day.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

SirPenguin posted:

also intriguing: an engine switch is a huge, radical thing. if this had been going on for an entire year - a year in which their company was in some serious turmoil...

...then how in the world did this news not leak? We have a very real leaker in TheAgent, then there's EightAce, and despite all his huffing and puffing Derek does appear to have some legit inside sources

I'm wondering if this came as a surprise to some CIG employees...?

Has CIG just put "Star Marine" together using Lumberjack, leaving the "PTU" and "Arena Commander" unchanged?

That will have solved their short term engineering debt in terms of an FPS module.

And then 2017 can... take care of itself.

- Star Marine then becomes a VITAL PROOF OF CONCEPT deliverable.
- The 2.6 PTU will be the OLD system - "see how much slower it is than Star Marine?". Needs a REWORK. But never fear, because...
- THE NEW 3.0 IS COMING SOON. On Lumberjack, with fast frames, procedural planets, lots of players.

Backer dreams, repackaged and refactored.

I wonder.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I hope Amazon keeps pipeline refactoring engineers on staff.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

if you love something put a ring on it.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are those prices real? Holy poo poo those prices are real.

CIG just destroyed their own business model. Yes, they think people will pay $1 for 1000 UEC.

Yes, they think a big loving missile is worth $70.

stunning

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Technically it's two missiles.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SirPenguin posted:

What does it all mean?

That, come Tuesday, someone from Amazon will get in touch and wonder what the gently caress.
They haven't mentioned their first large customer on their blog, and I'm pretty sure they didn't want that to leak out on no-news-day.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Mr Fronts posted:

Has CIG just put "Star Marine" together using Lumberjack, leaving the "PTU" and "Arena Commander" unchanged?

I wonder.

What does your heart tell you?

Considering how badly Star Marine looks, runs, and plays, Lumberjack may be a closer fit with CIG's own work than most people realize. My biggest ??? in all this is what Amazon thinks they can get out of it. Clearly they see this from a profit-driven angle. Obviously CIG is never going to make a game - maybe Amazon smells blood in the water with that 30 GB "patcher" that they can charge sweet bandwidth fees for.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Some of the more fanatical citizens are deluding themselves into thinking that this is merely a marketing/branding agreement for the servers, and that StarEngine is either unchanged, or CIG is pulling the best bits from Lumberyard into StarEngine.

lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ComfyPants posted:

These people are loving delusional

YES, FRIEND, THAT IS DEFINITELY WHAT HAPPENED FOR SURE

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I m loving :lol: so much right now, Happy Christmas commandos

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

and yet...

You have Ben on the Frontier forums defending the decision since it's not that much work moving to the new engine. It's great that you get more insightful info about SC from unofficial sources like Batgirl and the FDev Forum than from CIG itself.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Scruffpuff posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Considering how badly Star Marine looks, runs, and plays, Lumberjack may be a closer fit with CIG's own work than most people realize. My biggest ??? in all this is what Amazon thinks they can get out of it. Clearly they see this from a profit-driven angle. Obviously CIG is never going to make a game - maybe Amazon smells blood in the water with that 30 GB "patcher" that they can charge sweet bandwidth fees for.

Uhh, nothing. Anyone is free to start using Lumberyard to develop whatever the hell they want. Although CIG are using terms like 'partnership' it's really pretty one sided.

'Hello Amazon, we'd like to use your game engine.', that's it.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The PDF on how to play the non-existent game is :10bux:

Also, it doesn't exist yet. This is the next best thing I could find after they took down the PDF* for how to run a private Star Citizen server.

*also doesn't exist.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov posted:

The PDF on how to play the non-existent game is :10bux:

Also, it doesn't exist yet. This is the next best thing I could find after they took down the PDF* for how to run a private Star Citizen server.

*also doesn't exist.

$10 for a manual? Wooow

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Wrecked Angle posted:

Uhh, nothing. Anyone is free to start using Lumberyard to develop whatever the hell they want. Although CIG are using terms like 'partnership' it's really pretty one sided.

'Hello Amazon, we'd like to use your game engine.', that's it.

Good info - thanks. I did not know this - and in fact it was the fast and loose use of "partnership" etc. that led me down that road.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

A. Beaverhausen posted:

$10 for a manual? Wooow

Not just any manual, but a digital one.

Quality :)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember when a single guy made Xenonauts, an X-COM clone, using the Rootbeer Tapper engine?

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
wtfosaurus had alot of confused feelings about the announcement.

https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus/v/109403591?t=04h32m50s

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Some of the more fanatical citizens are deluding themselves into thinking that this is merely a marketing/branding agreement for the servers, and that StarEngine is either unchanged, or CIG is pulling the best bits from Lumberyard into StarEngine.

lol

Wait, whaaaaa? CIG Archer code TOO? Naaaaaaaaaah.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

https://answers.cryengine.com/questions/2654/cev-maximum-supported-players-for-a-large-scale-fp.html

1000 players was that Crobblers? With that engine?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://twitter.com/commando_tom/status/812510640493432832

:smug:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

No... see... the ~cloud~

*waves hands*

ONE THOUSAND

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

A. Beaverhausen posted:

$10 for a manual? Wooow

Another low for CIG.
And I realise now that I've missed the news about an engine switch (?) too?
Hahahah. oh this is just excellent. I guess development really starts in 2017, then.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Monetization for Lumberyard will come strictly through the use of Amazon Web Services' cloud computing. If you use the engine for your game, you're permitted to roll your own server tech, but if you're using a third-party provider, it has to be Amazon.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._medium=twitter

https://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=133275

read this

https://www.cryengine.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=328&t=133300

lol....ollolollololoololollooolololol

ded.

edit :

"I'd rather have subscription than royalties anyday. Royalties can seriously kick a developer hard in the rear end."

good judgement shown.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The mental gymnastics about to happen will blow our minds, it's going to be so funny

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

I turned on the top SC stream and this happened immediately

https://clips.twitch.tv/captain_richard/WrongWalrusBrainSlug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

His mental framing is 100% a facsimile of CIG's PR, and the announcement is causing him severe cognitive dissonance.

:discourse:

This is the best Christmas present a snarky internet nerd could wish for, thanks CIG.