Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Decided to unlock Palin, as such I had to go visit Sirius to get the invitation for goddamned Qwent aaand... I can't get anything there because that's how Lockdown state on the controlling faction works apparently, everyone gets hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

timn posted:

Missed this, but I looked into the gunship a little while ago because I think it looks really cool and I was into the idea of a mini-corvette with a fighter for a fun change of pace. Turns out it's on par or strictly inferior to the corvette in every single way including maneuverability. :(

Well, to give you another point of view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1oBDQHhfM

The bit about the many v 1 scenario is exactly why I think the ship is garbage. A combat ship only capable of a subset of combat to me is a bad ship

There's also the bit about not flying it like a turn fighter - I agree with it wholeheartedly but some people, video dude included, think turning off flight assist is the key to fixing ships that can't turn. You will absolutely need to turn at some point, flight assist off doesn't make you turn faster* and when this happens you're in a very slow bathtub that hardly turns.

Plus it's slow so it gets distances dictated to by most ships.

*under most circumstances

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 24, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The thing is there is no gravity to boom n zoom with, so all fighting is gonna be turn fighting.

Unless yeah you wipe them out in one pass.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
There is however flying backwards. As long as you have the firepower and shields to outlast the other guy, maneuverability is irrelevant.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

INTJ Mastermind posted:

There is however flying backwards. As long as you have the firepower and shields to outlast the other guy, maneuverability is irrelevant.

My go-to post-engineers combat thing was a flight assist off FDL with 4 pips to shields and 5 efficient multicannons for exactly this purpose.

Just don't bother making them efficient anything lower than grade 4 or 5. The tradeoffs at the lower tiers are terrible.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:siren::frogsiren: loving WHITE CORVETTE :frogsiren::siren:

:buddy::hf::getin: https://www.frontierstore.net/usd/game-extras/elite-dangerous-game-extras/federal-corvette-tactical-paint-pack.html :buddy::hf::getin:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Now I just hope it goes on sale.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

I said come in! posted:

Has there been much in the way of quality of life options and general accessibility for scrub tier players? When I originally played this game, back at launch, it was on a friends account and I found the game had an impossibly steep learning curve that I could not figure out.

By now, there are plenty of YouTube videos and forums threads about how to do most everything. Just alt-tab and get your google-fu on.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I'm gonna regret this in the morning, but I pulled the trigger on chroming my Adder.

When the day comes that my friend can sit in the second seat and manually control a turreted beam laser in the dorsal medium slot, it'll be :perfect:

Sard fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 24, 2016

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

I see your white Corvette and raise with a pink Corvette.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Sard posted:

I'm gonna regret this in the morning, but I pulled the trigger on chroming my Adder.

When the day comes that my friend can sit in the second seat and manually control a turreted beam laser in the dorsal medium slot, it'll be :perfect:

I flew an adder for months because I loved that drat ship so much. There were no paint packs for it at all back them.

They should've sent a poet :cry:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I find the easiest way to kill any npc ship is with 6 or more swarm missile launchers.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
:siren::woop:MOTHER loving CHROME CORVETTE:woop::siren:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
One day I will have a corvette :ohdear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Damnit am I about to spend $15 more on cosmetics?

Yes....Yes I am.

orcane posted:

Yes...Yes you will.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I take back all of the mean things I said about Frontier and no longer care about :airquote: content :airquote:: if I can get this white corvette with purple lasers out to Jacques in time to get my GalCop sticker I will have achieved my own personal nirvana in-game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

Do it the Frontier intended way. One 20k payment cargo delivery mission at a time.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Honestly I think the chrome looks a lot better on the smooth rounded ships like the cutter and adder than the flat angular federal ships. However that white corvette with the black/charcoal lowlights is :gizz:

Sard
May 11, 2012

timn posted:

Honestly I think the chrome looks a lot better on the smooth rounded ships like the cutter and adder than the flat angular federal ships. However that white corvette with the black/charcoal lowlights is :gizz:

Same, unless a spacerich in here takes a bunch of pictures of the chrome Corvette in open space, under the light of star at a nav beacon, and in the lights of a station hangar and those pictures make it look better than what I've seen so far then it seems underwhelming. A lot of the detail on the Corvette is lost and it looks like it's covered in giant greasy smudges.

Sard fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 24, 2016

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Once you've lived with grade 5 extended jump range, going without it is extremely painful.

I just moved my anaconda from aditi to my new home in li yong-rui high tech space from out of the place i was grinding faction in aditi.

24 jumps where I had gotten used to 7.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
So the Christmas CG is over and I collected my credits, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where my chrome eagle skin is located. I went back to where my Eagle is parked (17 Draconis) and the only option is to go to the store.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Apple Craft posted:

So the Christmas CG is over and I collected my credits, but I cannot for the life of me figure out where my chrome eagle skin is located. I went back to where my Eagle is parked (17 Draconis) and the only option is to go to the store.
A lot of the CGs that reward cosmetic things often take quite a while to deliver them. It'll show up, it might just take a few weeks :v:

In addition to the new paint packs for the Corvette/Cutter they've also added vibrant paint packs for the fighters. Bright yellow Taipan :getin:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Does the conda still out dps the corvette? :S

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

This is pure sex. Just saying.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Yes I would gently caress in this.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I tried mining for the first time tonight and I am actually kind of enjoying it.
Initially it was just to get some praseodymium, but I spent about 30 minutes after I refined some just seeing what else I can get in just an asteroid field.

I still don't like that mining/salvage is the only option for getting materials for upgrades.
I'd rather pay 10 to 50% over stock for a pre-tuned module and be done with it.

Sard
May 11, 2012

I really want to like this but jeez,
the untextured sections look so jarring in contrast with the chrome sections.

Thank you for posting these, probably gonna stick with midnight though. Or maybe they'll roll out squadron/camouflage for the Federal ships.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012

Sard posted:

I really want to like this but jeez,

the untextured sections look so jarring in contrast with the chrome sections.

Thank you for posting these, probably gonna stick with midnight though. Or maybe they'll roll out squadron/camouflage for the Federal ships.

I'm too busy laughing.

Merry Christmas. Oh, my God.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We've been waiting for what... 2 years for the Cobra camo paint to make it to other ships?

I guess vibrant is easier since you're just changing the color of some panels to a uniform tone.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Apple Craft posted:

I'm too busy laughing.

Merry Christmas. Oh, my God.

Please do not crush my hopes for actual non-solid paint for endgame ships :(. I mean, the Anaconda has them finally, and it seems like Squadron has gotten around. Maybe Fdev has figured out that when people feel like they can't buy any more upgrades with video game money, they start paying real money for customizations.

:ohdear:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So after a good year and a half of not playing I have made the pilgrimage from Harry's to the new goon chill spot. What's the next step up shooter ship from the Vulture?

Oh! I'm apparently a lot more broke than I thought I was. Where do I go to shoot mans for money?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Anita Dickinme posted:

So after a good year and a half of not playing I have made the pilgrimage from Harry's to the new goon chill spot. What's the next step up shooter ship from the Vulture?

Oh! I'm apparently a lot more broke than I thought I was. Where do I go to shoot mans for money?

The next real combat ships (pricewise) up from the Vulture are the Federal Assault Ship and the Imperial Clipper - the FedAss costs a little under 20M stock and the iClipper is about 22M stock so the difference is mainly which one you'd prefer. They both have the same weapons lots too, 2xC3 and 2xC2.

The FedAss is basically the Vulture's big brother that hit the gym. Limited interior space, tough armor and shields, not that fast point-to-point but very agile. The weapon setup is a little interesting, though - you have a dorsal C3 (on the roof), a chin-mounted C3), and the C2s under the belly, at the back of the hull. Getting all guns on your target at the same time can be a little tricky but it's a solid nasty combat ship that I'm pretty happy with.

The iClipper meanwhile is more of a combat-oriented multipurpose ship. It's pretty drat big and has enough internal bays that you can easily reconfigure it from a pure combat ship to a multipurpose workhorse, a trader (it has a single C7 internal bay, that's 128 tons of cargo even if you go all hull reinforcements and whatsits for the rest), whatever. (Incidentally, the default shield generator is a C6, upgrading that to a C7 makes it shield tanky as hell). As far as flight model goes, it handles like a really drat big Viper - it's surprisingly fast for its size, accelerates nicely, has a powerful afterburner, but tends to drift like mad on turns. One thing to note is that the C3 guns are on top of the wing pylons so you could park a battleship between there - the C3 guns pretty much need to be gimbaled and the C2s don't have that great convergence either. I recommend seeker missiles or gimbal guns here, too. Very cool, very fun ship that I enjoyed flying.

If you don't have the reputation to pick up either of those, though, I regret to inform you that the next-up pure combat ship is the Fer-de-Lance at 51M stock. Fast, nimble, huge firepower (it's the cheapest and smallest ship in the game capable of mounting a C4 gun), lovely jump range and limited internal space. If you want something more flexible, the Python is roughly as expensive (56M stock) and much, much more balanced/flexible, if a bit on the slow and clumsy side.

For money, there's actually a bounty hunting CG going on in Alliance space right now, that should net you a couple of millions at the very least pretty fast if you pledge. Check the Community Goal listing in your missions board.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You're going to be RES grinding in that Vulture for a long time.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Anita Dickinme posted:

In addition to what everyone else has said, get on Discord if you want to hang out with us

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
This isn't about Elite, but you might be amused by it. A few years ago a friend in my group bought us all ships in Star Citizen. A few of us bought more, but I was dubious and just forgot all about it. Recently one of the guys said we should play it and me and another suggested this was unlikely because there was no game to play. He was a touch indignant and asked if we'd actually bothered to look for any game. Maybe he was a bit salty about my referring to it as a scam all the time.

So 5 of us patched it and loaded it up. We wandered around a shopping plaza but were not able to get all of us in the one instance. I managed to push an NPC shop keeper out into the street, but those characters were client-side so it wasn't that interesting to anyone else. The gun-shop claimed to have a firing range but it didn't, so I couldn't even try out some guns.

After that we decided to try the ship-flying part, and once again failed to get more than 3 of us in the same instance. After interminably-long load times two of us clipped through the floor, one dropping into space. If the 24-player-max instance filled up before you loaded you were stuck in the loading screen forever. I finally got outside and jet-packed around, while another guy called up one of his ships. By the time he got to it a griefer had rammed it until it turned into loose parts. We spent 2 or 3 hours all up accomplishing nothing and I asked if we had spent enough time "looking for the game" yet.

I'm not suggesting Frontier are amazing, but holy hell you can do a lot worse.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Different degrees of "not good enough" is still bad though.

Should have talked the rich friend into buying you all HOTAS. At least you can use those in whatever.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
My friend wanted to see if they'd made any progress on Star Citizen and after downloading it he walked around for 2 minutes and fell through the floor and gave up. 140 million dollars :roflolmao:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Do you think Frontier would actually make the ship skins people want if they had that kind of cash? I'm thinking David would still funnel it into a theme park game or whatever unrelated project comes after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The theme park game is really good at least.

• Locked thread