Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Good loving lord, it happened again. It got even better. Thank you, Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

CrazyTolradi posted:

This is what I was wondering, didn't they specifically have to tweak Starengine to support this? How would that work with Lumberyard?

This was the major thing that was always cited about how much work CIG was putting into their custom engine changes. All that work was the excuse for why things have been taking so long. The work was now almost done, so here comes explosive progress because all that baseline effort is done.

Oh, engine switch.

lol

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

He always talks while others code;
He farts while other builds implode.
They call him the winner who'll never carp;
And he strikes like Lumberparp
He wants the trappings of success;
He needs your bucks so he gives less.
He looks at the backers, they aren't that sharp;
Then he strikes like Lumberparp
Any pixel he wants, he'll get;
He will break any TOS without regret
His days of asking are all gone;
His sales go on, and on, and on.
But he thinks that the cash is worth that harp;
So he strikes like Lumberparp

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

lol WTFOsaurus is sulking

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

XK posted:

This was the major thing that was always cited about how much work CIG was putting into their custom engine changes. All that work was the excuse for why things have been taking so long. The work was now almost done, so here comes explosive progress because all that baseline effort is done.

Oh, engine switch.

lol
I just can't believe they can copy/paste the 64 bit positioning changes into Lumberyard like it's nothing, it's not like it's a simple hack on top of existing code but deep core changes to how CryEngine handles things.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

peter gabriel posted:

I m loving :lol: so much right now, Happy Christmas commandos
You know what song to use next.

http://i.imgur.com/b5VQUPv.mp4

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

CrazyTolradi posted:

I just can't believe they can copy/paste the 64 bit positioning changes into Lumberyard like it's nothing, it's not like it's a simple hack on top of existing code but deep core changes to how CryEngine handles things.

By their own claims, it took them monumental effort. It would honestly probably be easier to stick Amazon's changes into their engine, than to do the reverse, if we are to believe all their previous talk of engine modifications was true.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I wonder if their usage of Lumberyard involves source licensing, or not. Don't you specifically need a source license in order to make your own engine modifications?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

CiG is a poo poo company that is run in a poo poo way.

They had a deal with AMD, where is that now?

They had a deal with Crytek, where is that now?

The had a deal with someone to make hotas, what has become of that?

And shitizen think it was Chris choice to not have a publisher? As if any professional publishing company would want anything to
do with that clown.

He is a poo poo businesman, what he is good at is conning guliably people out of money.ng

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

XK posted:

I wonder if their usage of Lumberyard involves source licensing, or not. Don't you specifically need a source license in order to make your own engine modifications?
Lumberyard includes the full C++ source code in the free license. You just can't, you know, share your special modified version with anyone.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/318617/should-cig-move-to-lumberyard-game-engine/p12
:negative:

https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus/v/109403591?t=06h15m50s

go to this mark, it builds up nicely with his background music.

loving good.

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 24, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kosumo posted:

They had a deal with Crytek, where is that now?
Crytek has its own colossal share of problems, that, while there is some intermeshing of the two, are largely independent of CIG's. I suspect the Amazon partnership is in part because of Crytek being expected to keel over at any given moment.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Tippis posted:

This one is still fairly up to date with what they've said (what with 4.0 being something that we should expect to slip into 2018 and all).

Lumberyard is still in Beta (that inspires confidence, doesn't it?), and while there are some games in the works, it's nothing you'll ever have heard of: https://games.amazon.com/games

Note how they haven't made a peep about getting their first high-profile licensee…

No, that's wrong! Star Citizen's early StarEngine prototype was only pre-production. It needs to show the correct production start date: 2016. Jeez.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

:gary::gary::gary:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I wish I was clever enough to get $160 million only to turn around and buy someone elses software to run it.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Wanna bet Amazon gave them a huge loan, and exchange forced them to use lumberjack?
Basically that means CIG is bought by a publisher LOL

Posting from the past but this sounds very plausible. If true (in addition to hosed up) it would be a very poetic way of history repeating itself.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
This time of year my heart goes out to everyone that was unfortunate enough to be born in a country with poo poo pastries (ie: foreigners).

It would be callous of me to wish you a Merry Christmas knowing all too well that you'll be spending this holiday chewing on some concoction made with table scraps and trash and dreaming of a nice hay bale. As such I'll spare you that indignity and instead just post a few images so that you may feel some modicum of happiness, even if vicariously.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Bushmaori posted:

Merry loving Christmas from NZ, you filthy animals.

Merry Christmas and kia kaha bro

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

This time of year my heart goes out to everyone that was unfortunate enough to be born in a country with poo poo pastries (ie: foreigners).

It would be callous of me to wish you a Merry Christmas knowing all too well that you'll be spending this holiday chewing on some concoction made with table scraps and trash and dreaming of a nice hay bale. As such I'll spare you that indignity and instead just post a few images so that you may feel some modicum of happiness, even if vicariously.

That's a sugar coma waiting to happen. :D
🌲❄️🎁

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

XK posted:

Beer, and anyone else who just got their refund, on this Friday specifically, your timing is just absolutely :discourse:.

I consider it my Magnum Opus.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

Recipes. Now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Please.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The ukuleles and kazoos want me to make some kind of stupid Xmas wish so here: have an unshitty time with your families and hopefully some kind of alcohol-soaked debauch where everyone is reduced to lying around in front of the TV unable to even muster the energy to turn off some god-awful winsome Xmas TV show they always play and that you can recite without even looking.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

The Kins posted:

Crytek has its own colossal share of problems, that, while there is some intermeshing of the two, are largely independent of CIG's. I suspect the Amazon partnership is in part because of Crytek being expected to keel over at any given moment.

There's no "partnership" here: a year ago someone went to the GameLift tab in the AWS console and clicked "get started".

I would recommend anyone with an Amazon account does the same. Head over to the console and see how quickly you can get something up and running. You can even start servers in Europe and Asia with a couple of clicks!

You'd better do things in the AWS way though, if you try and do a lot of custom or non-standard stuff you're going to be constantly fighting the platform. If CIG really have done stupid poo poo like change the precision of the positioning code there is zero chance they're going to be able to just patch it into the Lumberyard code and have everything else just work.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
You think this is bad? Wait till they start cutting the dead wood away in 2017.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

AP posted:

You think this is bad? Wait till they start cutting the dead wood away in 2017.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://twitter.com/mavbozo/status/812560172975472640

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

:laffo:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'd just like to say :lol:

and merry chriss mess

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

That makes perfect sense if they're completely abandoning the method used in 2.0 and are going back to the instanced approach that was part of the original concept.

You know, the "poo poo game" Sandi was telling me that I would get if I didn't wait.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Show of hands, who's really surprised?

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

:tif:

Seriously though, its like the whole reddit and forum are in denial.
No one is starting to ask questions.

How will this effect server capacity
How will this effect 64bit positioning
How will this effect the " game " in general
How will this effect mo-cap
How will this effect frankfurt
How will this effect the company. ( as I said before, pretty sure Amazon " bailed them out and in exchange forced them to use Lumberyard )

gently caress this poo poo, soo much is going to go wrong. And now they get 2 weeks of radio silence.
I wonder how many employees will be back after the holidays.

Also, how the hell did they manage not to show the lumberyard logo for over a year, not even on bugsmashers.
Or the ingame editor...

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

:gary::gary::gary:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How do those thing even work when purchased. Do you get an infinite amount of them or is it literally a one shot thing.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Someone at cig didnt read the faq

XK
Jul 9, 2001

So, Lumberyard automatically gets a source license, that's good to know.

Lumberyard requires usage of Amazon cloud services. There is the exception of using no hosted services, or using your own internally hosted servers. But you can not use any 3rd party provider except for Amazon.

I was posting before about their lack of international servers, and kept talking about crobbler just changing the contract to have Amazon do international servers. I guess I should've been speaking of Google instead of Amazon, as apparently they had been on Google's service. Or, maybe I just saw the future. The same core of my argument still stands, though, and has only become more accurate. Will they be spinning up Amazon servers in international regions now?

Is the jump to Amazon from Google the thing that broke 2.5?

The Lumberyard logo only showed up on 2.6 live, but wasn't on any of the Evocati or PTU releases? That's what I've seen claimed.

Since this news, Derek has been saying that Lumberyard is based on CryEngine 5. Everything I've seen indicates Lumberyard is branched from CryEngine 3.8.1. The importance of this fact is merely pedantic, but it's good to be correct. There's a potential argument that CIG did all their modifications on a 3.x branch (3.7 I think), so the engine change isn't a big deal since it's just a jump to 3.8ish.

The running excuse has been that years of engine modifications are why development has appeared slow. If a 300+ employee company has spent years modifying an engine for their very specific custom needs, then "Star Engine" should be so far off the branch of 3.7 that it's a completely different engine to any other engine. Regardless of whether it's 3.8 branched, or 5.0 branched, or whatever.

If any of CIG's past claims about their extensive engine modifications are to be believed, then this is absolutely a fundamental engine change, regardless of any defense about it being branched from a similar version.

I also believe that only Star Marine is currently running on Lumberyard, and SC proper is still their hacked up engine. SC 3.0 is probably intended to be the full switchover to Lumberyard. We would've noticed some kind of fundamental change in the SC releases if they jumped engine in between 2.0 and now, but all the same bugs and quirks have persisted. Maybe that's why they kept claiming that 3.0 was being worked on in parallel to 2.6.

I really badly want an answer on the Lumberyard 64 bit question.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Merry Christmas from Australia, the landi of Sandi

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
CryEngine was the wrong choice for SC. Years of hacking result in some of the worst poo poo anyone's ever seen on a PC. CryEngine has a bad year, fails to pay employees, and finally goes tits up.

CIG's shrewd move is to change engines. This I can applaud. So they move to another modified version of CryEngine. This I applaud somewhat less, but it's CIG all over.

In the meantime, Amazon is struggling with adoption of their "Lumberyard" offering, getting progressively nervous as CryEngine goes through its 2016 crisis. To justify their own version of sunk cost fallacy, the order goes out: "We better get SOMEONE on board with this engine and get some people using it." "But boss, what game development company would be stupid enough to do that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

OK so as is the PU should work with gameloft because there isn't anything MMOish about it really. Its just instances that get turned on and off as needed. BUT there will be nothing persistent about it. Other MMOs use AWS, like Tree of Savior. Its entirely instanced based with the only persistent thing in them being your character.