Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

XK posted:

So, Lumberyard automatically gets a source license, that's good to know.

Lumberyard requires usage of Amazon cloud services. There is the exception of using no hosted services, or using your own internally hosted servers. But you can not use any 3rd party provider except for Amazon.

I was posting before about their lack of international servers, and kept talking about crobbler just changing the contract to have Amazon do international servers. I guess I should've been speaking of Google instead of Amazon, as apparently they had been on Google's service. Or, maybe I just saw the future. The same core of my argument still stands, though, and has only become more accurate. Will they be spinning up Amazon servers in international regions now?

Is the jump to Amazon from Google the thing that broke 2.5?

The Lumberyard logo only showed up on 2.6 live, but wasn't on any of the Evocati or PTU releases? That's what I've seen claimed.

Since this news, Derek has been saying that Lumberyard is based on CryEngine 5. Everything I've seen indicates Lumberyard is branched from CryEngine 3.8.1. The importance of this fact is merely pedantic, but it's good to be correct. There's a potential argument that CIG did all their modifications on a 3.x branch (3.7 I think), so the engine change isn't a big deal since it's just a jump to 3.8ish.

The running excuse has been that years of engine modifications are why development has appeared slow. If a 300+ employee company has spent years modifying an engine for their very specific custom needs, then "Star Engine" should be so far off the branch of 3.7 that it's a completely different engine to any other engine. Regardless of whether it's 3.8 branched, or 5.0 branched, or whatever.

If any of CIG's past claims about their extensive engine modifications are to be believed, then this is absolutely a fundamental engine change, regardless of any defense about it being branched from a similar version.

I also believe that only Star Marine is currently running on Lumberyard, and SC proper is still their hacked up engine. SC 3.0 is probably intended to be the full switchover to Lumberyard. We would've noticed some kind of fundamental change in the SC releases if they jumped engine in between 2.0 and now, but all the same bugs and quirks have persisted. Maybe that's why they kept claiming that 3.0 was being worked on in parallel to 2.6.

I really badly want an answer on the Lumberyard 64 bit question.

Remember when I posted (in my July blog) that when CIG finally changed engines they would try to play it down, and their 30 GB patcher would be the first "Line of Defense" in hiding the fact, since a sudden huge patch out of nowhere would draw attention?

The real surprise here is that Chris openly announced this change a mere 11 months after work began. My guess is that the plan was to not announce this at all. Only the insane could ever guess why Chris felt it was necessary to announce this. Either he had a pang of conscience, or he's genuinely convinced this is good news for Star Citizen and furthermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

$70 missiles. I bet those who bought missile boats, with all that missile reloading machinery so they had the fidelity of actually seeing their missiles in storage and being loaded, are completely thrilled.

I'm trying to remember how much missiles cost me in Quake, but I'm drawing blank. Oh, wait, those were rockets. My mistake.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Well, this will pass like any other big fuckup we identify as such.
It will all be history in 2 weeks (hence Crobbers posting it now because backer memory is flushed every 2 weeks for capacity reasons).
In the new year the narrative will have been arranged into a positive thing and it won't make a difference, game still sucks, game still won't come out, but also still not an ELE.

The only real change this brings is the fact that Amazon can now access all backer data which is a whole different kind of shifty development aside from Crobbers' usual dodgy stuff.But since most of us here haven't logged in in ages, this hardly concerns us.

Merry Christmas everyone. Celebrate with your loved ones, eat good food, and take a break from the thread.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGmcVdZzvnM&t=576s

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Not the fidelity Chris! Noooooooo!

Edit.

Hmm, frame rates are up a bit but level of detail is down... What could this mean? Almost like you can't have 'max fidelity' in a large scale multiplayer environment without tanking performance.

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 24, 2016

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Scruffpuff posted:

In the meantime, Amazon is struggling with adoption of their "Lumberyard" offering, getting progressively nervous as CryEngine goes through its 2016 crisis. To justify their own version of sunk cost fallacy, the order goes out: "We better get SOMEONE on board with this engine and get some people using it." "But boss, what game development company would be stupid enough to do that?"

It's not even clear what Amazon's active involvement in this is. CIG literally could've just grabbed Lumberyard and ran with it, using Amazon's public terms, without any real active role on Amazon's part.

I don't believe that's what happened. I can't imagine there wasn't some kind of arrangement made.

However, Amazon hasn't said a word. Not a press release, a single sentence of acknowledgement, or even a CIG logo on any Lumberyard oriented pages.

God forbid, if someone at Amazon made any kind of deal with CIG where CIG gets money from Amazon, that person should be fired, and I want their job.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

XK posted:

It's not even clear what Amazon's active involvement in this is. CIG literally could've just grabbed Lumberyard and ran with it, using Amazon's public terms, without any real active role on Amazon's part.

I don't believe that's what happened. I can't imagine there wasn't some kind of arrangement made.

However, Amazon hasn't said a word. Not a press release, a single sentence of acknowledgement, or even a CIG logo on any Lumberyard oriented pages.

God forbid, if someone at Amazon made any kind of deal with CIG where CIG gets money from Amazon, that person should be fired, and I want their job.

I think there's an arrangement behind the scenes. Hopefully time will reveal if we're right.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Lumberyard seems cool enough. Amazon giving away a AAA quality engine, only asking for subscription costs on hosting services, is something I really appreciate. Whether they should've based this offering on CryEngine is questionable, but I respect the intent.

A $140m company, making a highly technical game, grabbing a free engine, after years of custom engine development, is beyond mind boggling.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGmcVdZzvnM&t=2352s

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Scruffpuff posted:

I think there's an arrangement behind the scenes. Hopefully time will reveal if we're right.

I'm gonna disagree and say there is very little in the way of a deal. Maybe a 'discount introductory offer' for AWS or something similar but nothing like cash changing hands (in CIGs direction).

At the moment this can be played off as a big win because they can 'leverage the power of Amazon cloud and infrastructure', in the future it will be used as an excuse to reduce scope or cut features, 'I'm afraid Lumberyard doesn't allow us to do that'.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
It's amazing how this project hits every single mark that should be a red flag and continues to do so for years. And yet people still back this

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Star Citizen: lumbering around the yard.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I bet what was originally planned is that 2.6 was supposed to be the last StarEngine release and 3.0 in 2017 was originally going to be the big switch and they were hoping it wouldn't be a big deal because "Wow! Look at all this planetary stuff!". Probably what happened though is they just flat out could not get Star Marine working with StarEngine and they decided it would be a worse headline to delay Star Marine to next year than to bite the bullet and tell everyone they had to move to a different engine.

From a technical standpoint I'd bet CIG is no worse off and may actually be in a better position to actually get a game out of this whole deal, but they really hosed themselves on the PR end with all their scheming. Cultists will no doubt be thinking that CIG is contributing to Lumberyard, exchanging their magical technology for discounts on AWS when really what happened is Amazon is getting (relatively) dirt cheap visibility for their new games division. The customer data for advertising is the real financial asset in all of this. Look at the changes to the TOS privacy section.

Traditional publishing is a thing of the past, as Amazon's recurring costs in AWS are paid for as CIG uses them and Amazon gets the data anyways. It doesn't matter to Amazon one bit if the game actually gets finished.

Amarcarts fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 24, 2016

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
lol

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

when you start at the very first day
LMAO

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Wrecked Angle posted:

Not the fidelity Chris! Noooooooo!

Edit.

Hmm, frame rates are up a bit but level of detail is down... What could this mean? Almost like you can't have 'max fidelity' in a large scale multiplayer environment without tanking performance.

"large scale multiplayer " *cough 24 people barely*

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

2.4 Persistence is in!
2.6 Persistence is out!

Dial A For Awesome fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 24, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

XK posted:

I highly doubt this,

We all know CIG was looking for outside investors, Amazon seems like the right candidate.
They have a product to sell, they are in dire need of a market.
Whether the engine sucks or not doesn't matter, as long as enough people are using/talking about it.

They gave CIG a loan, and in return had to switch to Lumberyard. We know CIG is heavy on Twitch payed streamers, so in a way it makes a lot of sense.
As another member said, remember the holiday week, with Clarkson ripoff, grand tour? That's an Amazon production.

The question is : Has CIG sold the company to Amazon or not.
They way they put this news off until the very last end, means there is a lot more to this story then just an engine switch.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Their claims of most open development ever ring even more hollow when it turns out they've been working on an engine change for a year. And they announced it on a Friday before Christmas, of all days. CIG should get into politics with tactics like that.

But if you're gonna do an engine change at this point, why swap to another iteration of CryEngine? Is Lumberjack more able to support the kind of huge spaces and number of players they would need to make this pie in the sky game? If not, haven't they just created a lot more work and retained many of the issues that have dogged them so far?

And loving lol at any shitizen that ever tried to defend clown stimperium by bringing up starengine and how it was heavily modified and nothing else would do the job.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Even he admits they threw out 4 years of development.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

Their claims of most open development ever ring even more hollow when it turns out they've been working on an engine change for a year. And they announced it on a Friday before Christmas, of all days. CIG should get into politics with tactics like that.

But if you're gonna do an engine change at this point, why swap to another iteration of CryEngine? Is Lumberjack more able to support the kind of huge spaces and number of players they would need to make this pie in the sky game? If not, haven't they just created a lot more work and retained many of the issues that have dogged them so far?

And loving lol at any shitizen that ever tried to defend clown stimperium by bringing up starengine and how it was heavily modified and nothing else would do the job.

No that's just it, the engine is even less suitable for mmo games.
It evens says so in a picture few posts above.

And instead of going ahead they went backwards.
a 140 mil company just threw their entire project on an engine that's not even released. Its barely in the beta stage.
4 years in development and they switch to a beta engine.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

That's him in the Lumberyard.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Star Citizen: Lumbering til Litigation

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

would be funny if this turns out to be a screenshot from SC

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

I highly doubt this,

We all know CIG was looking for outside investors, Amazon seems like the right candidate.
Whether the engine sucks or not doesn't matter, as long as enough people are using/talking about it.

They gave CIG a loan, and in return had to switch to Lumberyard. We know CIG is heavy on Twitch payed streamers, so in a way it makes a lot of sense.
As another member said, remember the holiday week, with Clarkson ripoff, grand tour? That's an Amazon production.

Dude, sorry but you're going well ott on this. You think that Amazon gave CIG a loan (do Amazon give loans? Is that a thing that happens? Never heard of anything like it) and rights to use a massive, internationally known IP in exchange for them using their game engine?

Star Citizen is nowhere near big enough to justify any of that. Like I said above, like deal is that CIG move to Lumberyard and get half price or free AWS for 6 months or some poo poo.

They way they put this news off until the very last end, means there is a lot more to this story then just an engine switch.

The answer is No.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:patriot:

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Wrecked Angle posted:

Dude, sorry but you're going well ott on this. You think that Amazon gave CIG a loan (do Amazon give loans? Is that a thing that happens? Never heard of anything like it) and rights to use a massive, internationally known IP in exchange for them using their game engine?

Star Citizen is nowhere near big enough to justify any of that. Like I said above, like deal is that CIG move to Lumberyard and get half price or free AWS for 6 months or some poo poo.

The answer is No.

At this point, it doesn't matter how big the game is or what IP they have , they want people using their engine.
They probably spend millions on developing this engine. But if no one is using it, its an even bigger loss

They already spend 70 mil buying the core code of Crytek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUDlTTbt4qE this guy explains it pretty well.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

No that's just it, the engine is even less suitable for mmo games.
It evens says so in a picture few posts above.

Isn't it just GameLift that's not suitable for MMOs? They can still use AWS (that's separate from the GameLift feature, no?) or their own servers (but then that's an expensive proposition).

Whatever they choose though, there's still the fact that the networking side of things for the game as proposed is a huge, perhaps insurmountable, problem.

My guess is that the MVP is going to feature standard instancing with a normal number of players at once (24-64). And that would be perfectly sensible, except for the fact they've pre-sold ships on the basis of supporting many crew members and taking part in huge battles.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Amarcarts posted:

I bet what was originally planned is that 2.6 was supposed to be the last StarEngine release and 3.0 in 2017 was originally going to be the big switch and they were hoping it wouldn't be a big deal because "Wow! Look at all this planetary stuff!". Probably what happened though is they just flat out could not get Star Marine working with StarEngine and they decided it would be a worse headline to delay Star Marine to next year than to bite the bullet and tell everyone they had to move to a different engine.

From a technical standpoint I'd bet CIG is no worse off and may actually be in a better position to actually get a game out of this whole deal, but they really hosed themselves on the PR end with all their scheming. Cultists will no doubt be thinking that CIG is contributing to Lumberyard, exchanging their magical technology for discounts on AWS when really what happened is Amazon is getting (relatively) dirt cheap visibility for their new games division. The customer data for advertising is the real financial asset in all of this. Look at the changes to the TOS privacy section.

Traditional publishing is a thing of the past, as Amazon's recurring costs in AWS are paid for as CIG uses them and Amazon gets the data anyways. It doesn't matter to Amazon one bit if the game actually gets finished.

I think nothing works, SQ42 is hosed, everyone experienced at CIG either left or is just waiting the end out. I think Chris Roberts will expect Amazon to help them unfuck everything to try to get something out in 2018 (so given his time estimates it will really be more like 2020).

Take a look at the The Lumberyard FAQ

quote:

With Lumberyard’s visual scripting tool, even non-technical game developers can add cloud-connected features to a game in minutes
through a drag-and-drop GUI interface

There are also no seat fees, subscription fees, or requirements to share revenue. You pay only for the infrastructure resources you choose to use.

we've integrated a brand new networking layer, GridMate, so your engineers can more easily build low-latency multiplayer games with large numbers of players. We’ve introduced Cloud Canvas, which enables your engineers and technical designers with little to no backend experience to build live online game features, such as community news feeds, sharing scores, and server-side combat resolution, in minutes using Lumberyard’s visual scripting system.

All Lumberyard customers have access to documentation, tutorials

Q. Does Lumberyard support VR?
Yes. We currently support Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and OSVR. Because VR is a rapidly evolving area, we've built Lumberyard's VR support to be modular, meaning you can add support for new HMDs without writing code, helping you support new HMDs as they are released.

Check out https://gamedev.amazon.com/forums/tutorials

:gary:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Merry Chrismess everyone!

I don't see anything regarding MMO / Persistent Universes in there.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

AP posted:

I think nothing works, SQ42 is hosed, everyone experienced at CIG either left or is just waiting the end out. I think Chris Roberts will expect Amazon to help them unfuck everything to try to get something out in 2018 (so given his time estimates it will really be more like 2020).

Take a look at the The Lumberyard FAQ

Check out https://gamedev.amazon.com/forums/tutorials

:gary:

I think I found croberts
https://gamedev.amazon.com/forums/questions/5511/can-i-use-gamelift-to-develop-an-instance-based-mm.html

quote:

Question : I know that GameLift is not designed for persistent worlds, but I was thinking about scenarios that I could use GameLift for. For example, if I have different instances, with each instance supporting roughly 75 people at a time, can I use GameLift? I'm thinking of a scenario like Destiny, in which you choose the location where you want to go and then it loads you into an instance of that world.

quote:

Answer by AMZN_Rob Mar 21 at 10:33 PM
@blippincott

The scenario you describe would work. Instead of the game clients interacting with the GameLift API to query for specific maps and other configurations, your MMO game server would act as a middle-man.

A player would request to join an instance from your game server, and your game server would talk to GameLift through the API to make sure servers with the appropriate maps and other settings were available, and then passing players the connection details.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
screw you haters, this guy gets it

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I'll be making these today as per Christmas tradition.

quote:

heavy aluminum cookie sheet do not grease pan.

2 pounds unsalted butter room temperature

1/3 Cup Whiskey

1/3 Olive Oil

2/3 Cup Powdered Sugar

2 Boxes Soft as Silk Cake mix Flour
(size of pancake box)

4 Egg yolks

4 Pounds of Powdered sugar for use after baking

Beat (almost highest) butter for 20 minutes

Toward the end, butter gets fluffy and changes colour (pale yellow) Add 4 eggs, continue beating.

Then add whiskey, oil, powdered sugar (small amount) beat 5 more minutes

Fold in sifted flour. Mix well. Should Use about 2.5 pounds of the flour. Until dough is no longer sticky and can be handled.

Roll dough into walnut sized balls.

shape into diamonds about 1.5inches long

do not grease cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 325

Bake for 30 minutes or until bottom is brown.

while cookies are baking, lay out wax paper. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. allow cookies to cool. Sift more sugar, sugar is absorbed.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Ben still doing his clueless T&A sessions with Batgirl? I'd love to see him parp about the engine.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I highly doubt this,

It's possible, if CIG has a full believer high up at Amazon. If so, that person has failed at their job. If it was just a matter of "Yeah, use our engine, we'll give you a discount on AWS hosting.", that's one thing. If it included contracting money over to CIG, then somebody hosed up.

And as for CIG being heavy on Twitch streamers; at their best moments they manage somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 viewers, with all streams combined. Exception being their convention style events.

If Amazon has actually purchased anything of CIG, somebody deserves to be drummed out of the company.

I still can't get over the late ~4pm PST Friday before Christmas release of this news.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

They already spend 70 mil buying the core code of Crytek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUDlTTbt4qE this guy explains it pretty well.
They gave Crytek 70 million bux and Crytek is still going tits up?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

his nibs posted:

screw you haters, this guy gets it

Lumberyard is branched from CryEngine 3.8.1, until someone shows me different.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Combat Pretzel posted:

They gave Crytek 70 million bux and Crytek is still going tits up?

Some say $50m, some say $70m. This all happened maybe 18 months ago, whenever it was that Crytek were last struggling to pay their staff.

One funny thing about that. That means that Crytek managed to burn through $50m in 18 months, but of course there's no way that CIG has burned through $140m+ in 4 years of spaceship doors, limited edition Porsches and endless, endless mo-cap! :smuggo:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Wrecked Angle posted:

That means that Crytek managed to burn through $50m in 18 months
Doing what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Preparing for the invasion of Europe of course