Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought everyone knew when they put Shapiro in charge it was to cut payroll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well yeah, but I also like yelling into voids.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
People complaining about EE's age understand how old Morales is, right?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BWV posted:

I'm still so pissed. Like all they had to do is not blow their loving load on Morales and this would've worked out. Worse is now I have to hear about how prudent and fiscally responsible the Jays are from my stupid rear end friends. loving 20 mil a year for EE is a steal. He could hit his win share valuation in the first 2 years.
Seems clear that this was intentional. They never wanted to bring him back because Rogers ownership is awful.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Think of how many discount Gjorkos $60 million can buy

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Holy crap, that's a steal for EE. Only signed through his age 36 season. There is so little risk in that contract for the Indians it's shocking.

How does no other team match that? I understand not wanting to sign a megadeal with AAV > $20MM, but it's only three years. That's insane.

Reminder that Ryan Howard has been making $25MM/year for the last three years...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's also entirely possible that EE wanted to go to the Indians considering how complete they look. If all of the other offers he was receiving were in the same ballpark, year/AAV-wise, why not sign with the team that's looking like they'll be right back in the WS in 2017?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Seems clear that this was intentional. They never wanted to bring him back because Rogers ownership is awful.

Basicallu this. They knew he wouldn't accept an offer the day free agency opened unless it was a nutso offer.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I feel like the only on paper holes for the Indians now is catcher and center field. Maybe Gomes will remember how to use a bat and Naquin will figure out what to do with a high fastball. Also assumes that Brantley is able to return as 2014-15 really good Brantley.

Little did I realize that wearing my Party at Napoli's shirt yesterday would be saying goodbye to him.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Revere to the Angels. Hey, at least now I don't have to worry about the Jays signing him.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Tigers bring back Alex Avila for $2M. The most shocking thing about this is how many fans loving HATE him because of his low batting average. But if he catches Verlander every game, he'll have a 2.50 ERA. I guarantee it!

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yup, and they're doing exactly what they were brought in to do. Rogers doesn't care if the team wins a thing - they just want 162 nights a year of content they can plaster all over their networks without having to pay anyone for the rights.

Wonder where Donaldson is going in 2018?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

St. Dogbert posted:

Back to Oakland for 3 months and traded for like 10 role players?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Berzerker posted:

Revere to the Angels. Hey, at least now I don't have to worry about the Jays signing him.

For what? A corner? 4th outfielder? Doesn't his arm suck? Great defense and speed but...?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

St. Dogbert posted:

Try July 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/812394094869749760
God Bob Nutting you are such a cheap loving bastard

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Why do I root Pirates/Jays :/

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Oakland almost signed a top free agent :unsmith:

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Was pretty much resigned to losing EE when Shapiro and co. took over. Gonna retire the EE jersey and hope things get Rowdy sooner rather than later.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Bye, Edwin. Thanks for all the dingers. :canada:

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Boooooooooooo. Gonna miss EE. At least he didn't go to a division rival so my heart won't break as often.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
So what outfield options are left for the Jays to look at? Are they really gonna start Pillar/Carerra/Upton?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

So what outfield options are left for the Jays to look at? Are they really gonna start Pillar/Carerra/Upton?
heard there's a fellow named Bautista still on the market

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Saunders too, I guess. I don't see Bautista coming back to the Jays but I guess it's not impossible.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If Justin Smoak takes over 300 ABs I'll volunteer to cold call for Bell, Telus, and any other telecom competitor.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Saunders too, I guess. I don't see Bautista coming back to the Jays but I guess it's not impossible.
His market does not appear to be booming right now. But I agree he likely won't return, because again, Rogers is a garbage ownership group.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

DuhSal posted:

Boooooooooooo. Gonna miss EE. At least he didn't go to a division rival so my heart won't break as often.

Should have went to the Rockies! Because........Dingers!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I could easily see Bautista coming back on a shorter deal like 1 year with an option and trying again next year

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

chilihead posted:

Should have went to the Rockies! Because........Dingers!

Yea that would have been the ideal place.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

we've got a three-team trade brewing with mccutchen possibly going to the yankees per some dude brian bilek

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Yeaaah Morse!

https://twitter.com/MattEddyBA/status/812507508464041984

Giants have a 100% World Series win rate when Morse is on the roster.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

there was a rumor a few days ago about a deal involving Blackmon for Stroman.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ice To Meet You posted:

Tigers bring back Alex Avila for $2M. The most shocking thing about this is how many fans loving HATE him because of his low batting average. But if he catches Verlander every game, he'll have a 2.50 ERA. I guarantee it!

I only dislike it because he's going to get concussed and I don't want Alex to go brain dead for the Tigers because McCann can't hit righties to save his life :(

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/812531346266587137

How much could Rogers possibly love that sweet sweet draft pick? We're about to find out.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sydin posted:

It's also entirely possible that EE wanted to go to the Indians considering how complete they look. If all of the other offers he was receiving were in the same ballpark, year/AAV-wise, why not sign with the team that's looking like they'll be right back in the WS in 2017?

Uh time travelers have already confirmed the Astros in 2017 you fool

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Intruder posted:

Uh time travelers have already confirmed the Astros in 2017 you fool

Led by The Natural, Jeff Francoeur

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Abel Wingnut posted:

we've got a three-team trade brewing with mccutchen possibly going to the yankees per some dude brian bilek

Oh my god I hope this happens

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Abel Wingnut posted:

the gently caress

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
It sounds like Quintana to the Pirates, McCutchen to the Yankees, and a shitload of prospects to the White Sox.

https://twitter.com/BrianBilek_/status/812323449150574592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Glasnow, Rutherford, Newman, and one of Andujar or Diaz would be a great return for Quintana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Seems like a lot to give up for the Pirates.

• Locked thread