Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Everything I like is for mature, reasonable adults and everything I don't like is for idiot thumb-sucking babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Everything I like is for mature, reasonable adults and everything I don't like is for idiot thumb-sucking babies.

But unironically!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Things I like are for both of these groups of people, however it is unnecessary to defend the things I like.

Things I dislike are for them too, but condemning them is unnecessary and a waste of time and resources.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Anime is bad.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Finally someone gets it.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Everything I like is utter shite, I revel in its shittiness and purposefully try to tear everyone and everything down to my level. Anime is good. Furries are sexy. Hitler had some great ideas. I dislike the thing you like, here's a couple of retarded reasons why. I even hang up my toilet paper the wrong way, whichever this is. Merry Christmas, motherfuckers :dealwithit:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

From Hell, for example, is over 500 pages, in black and white

Trust a goon to list the technical aspects of a work of art* first.

*) :can:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Those were cited to demonstrate it isn't aimed at teenagers, not proofs of quality. :cheers:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

Those were cited to demonstrate it isn't aimed at teenagers, not proofs of quality. :cheers:

I think you'll find there are plenty of comics in black-and-white with 500 or more pages aimed at literal children in Japan.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Only manga I ever read was Akira, because the local library happened to have it in a bunch of hardcovers. It was ok I guess.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

doverhog posted:

Only manga I ever read was Akira, because the local library happened to have it in a bunch of hardcovers. It was ok I guess.

The first Japanese printed cartoon ever published in Finnish was a part of Hadashi no ken. It didn't exactly catch on so twenty years later they had another go with Dragon Ball Z or something and now lovely manga is readily available.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Just because graphic novels or comics are lighter reads than some books doesn't make them bad.

Part of maturity should be accepting childish things that you enjoy are enjoyable for a different reason than enjoying something "mature". Not every novel you read has to be War and Peace. Claiming that something done in someone else's leisure time is a waste makes you sound like a dumb teenager trying to act like an adult. If you don't like something, move on to something you do like.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Unpopular opinion incoming, War and Peace and Moby Dick are pretty boring books.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Intoluene posted:

Just because graphic novels or comics are lighter reads than some books doesn't make them bad.

Part of maturity should be accepting childish things that you enjoy are enjoyable for a different reason than enjoying something "mature". Not every novel you read has to be War and Peace. Claiming that something done in someone else's leisure time is a waste makes you sound like a dumb teenager trying to act like an adult. If you don't like something, move on to something you do like.

You are either reading incorrect things into what I said or arguing with a made up person just so you can lecture people.

I said comics as a medium are trash because, while there are talented people and maybe even enjoyable comics in some way, they are inferior to standard books or even movies in telling a story. They try to do both and fail - take any comic and put the story in the hands of an equally talented novelist and the end product will be better, in my unpopular opinion.

As for maturity, no you don't need to read only the books you were assigned in the classics section. All I was trying to say is that the media you consume says something about you. If you read more comic books than other books and never shut up about comics and go to comic related events, I will consider you just as childlike as a 35 year old going to a harry potter convention for any other reason than "my kid really wanted to go".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you don't move away from childish things naturally and organically as you turn into an adult, you are developmentally stunted.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Unpopular opinion incoming, War and Peace and Moby Dick are pretty boring books.

Well that is unpopular since everyone who has actually read either will know they're not "pretty boring books." They're some of the most utterly boring books ever written.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

If you don't move away from childish things naturally and organically as you turn into an adult, you are developmentally stunted.

Scientists say the opposite, though. I wonder who is right, goon or the science community?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You are either reading incorrect things into what I said or arguing with a made up person just so you can lecture people.

I said comics as a medium are trash because, while there are talented people and maybe even enjoyable comics in some way, they are inferior to standard books or even movies in telling a story. They try to do both and fail - take any comic and put the story in the hands of an equally talented novelist and the end product will be better, in my unpopular opinion.

As for maturity, no you don't need to read only the books you were assigned in the classics section. All I was trying to say is that the media you consume says something about you. If you read more comic books than other books and never shut up about comics and go to comic related events, I will consider you just as childlike as a 35 year old going to a harry potter convention for any other reason than "my kid really wanted to go".

Honestly, it was a tangental unpopular opinion but I can see how you mistook it for an argument. My bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Scientists say the opposite, though. I wonder who is right, goon or the science community?

You are posting in the A/T, so presumably you trust goons to have all the right answers.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Memes are great!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I dunno, I think comics can be a halfway point between film and literature. A good artist can elevate the text and unlike film, a good idea won't be so terribly hampered by budget. Illustrations and woodcuts used to be a fairly common feature in literature, so it's not like looking at an image immediately dumbs down the text. Rather, a decent artist will give you subtext through imagery that might otherwise require a lengthy description. And one of my pet peeves of literature is a writer who smothers a thought in words.
That said, there aren't a lot of comics I really love both in story and art. I do love Maus and Naoki Urasawa stuff and feel that moving either to film or pure text would (or did) detract from them.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Many "classic" books are often well written and innovative for their time.

But.

I feel like this newest generation, and it probably started with my generation, is going to be so far removed from a lot of the social and economic constructs in these books that they seem boring snf tired beside more modern and relevent iterations and thus, become more relevent for their historical rather than their authoritative impact.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Some of them are legitimately enjoyable to read, but for the most part are better used as teaching tools, hence why most people only read them in school/college.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its been true for a long time but for serious now, every day that goes by and someone believes in a theistic god like for real, its another day the human race is closer to destruction.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hating an entire medium just because you think it makes you sound more mature is actually a pretty good indication that you are immature imao.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

Its been true for a long time but for serious now, every day that goes by and someone believes in a theistic god like for real, its another day the human race is closer to destruction.

listening to athiests whine about theists is much more insufferable than listening to theists whining about atheists

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Hating an entire medium just because you think it makes you sound more mature is actually a pretty good indication that you are immature imao.

It's a good thing I dislike it for entirely different reasons then - namely, because it is bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As far as politics and politicians go, "authenticity" and "ideological purity" are hopelessly overrated. The most important thing is to win and it's perfectly acceptable to be right for allegedly "wrong" reasons.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

spit on my clit posted:

listening to athiests whine about theists is much more insufferable than listening to theists whining about atheists

Check ur privilege

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jastiger posted:

Check ur privilege

It doesn't exist :smuggo:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jastiger is right. There would be a lot less bombings if people realized Allah didn't exist.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

oldpainless posted:

Jastiger is right. There would be a lot less bombings if people realized Allah didn't exist.

But that's Obama's fault-...ooooh.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Many "classic" books are often well written and innovative for their time.

Sometimes one might be tempted to think that good writing just didn't develop until fairly recently but then you hit up some Martialis and it's dank as gently caress.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's a good thing I dislike it for entirely different reasons then - namely, because it is bad.

Lol you are too good for the entire medium of comics but think it's a travesty that people don't respect Stargate SG1 or Babylon 5 or whatever enough. Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Lol you are too good for the entire medium of comics but think it's a travesty that people don't respect Stargate SG1 or Babylon 5 or whatever enough. Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

The distinction here is that SG1 is good while I have established that comics are bad. Keep up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just finished reading Maus for the first time and I'm p sure it was better than a bunch of d list actors running around in rubber alien suits for 600 hours.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I can't understand why so many people loves the nightmare before Christmas and consider t must watch Christmas movie every year.

It's not a very good film and the songs are not very good

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

All comics are bad. Only most TV shows / movies / novels are bad.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

steinrokkan posted:

All comics are bad. Only most TV shows / movies / novels are bad.

Counterpoint: everything is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Comics are art.