Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It would be pretty great if Nagito spends the rest of the game trying to frame himself for every murder.

Bonus points if he actually commits one and nobody believes him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Well, he can't do both of those things, now, can he?

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Sindai posted:

It would be pretty great if Nagito spends the rest of the game trying to frame himself for every murder.

He drat well better. I got him as one of the only four people who survive in my deadpool.

Guy's a regular Red Herrington.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: From this point on, lines of white noise will appear to disrupt your reactions. Your Truth Bullets will disappear if they touch these lines, so think of them as obstacles in your debate. Please time your Truth Bullets just right so they won't get interrupted by the white noise. In this debate, you won't be able to shoot down the white noise. That will be explained later... Well then...good luck, and have fun!

: White noise makes a reappearance in this game and is introduced much earlier than it was in DR1. If you hit white noise with your Truth Bullet, the bullet will bounce off and you have to fire again. Naturally, white noise likes to show up whenever weak points do. White noise can be seen in the screenshots as purple text floating around the scenes.

: I-I think it's strange that...
: The killer is so obviously Nagito!
: U-Um...
: He has already confessed...
: Um... You know...
: That bastard Nagito is the one who did it!
: He killed Byakuya with the knife he hid!
: Ugh... Never mind...
: Thanks for wasting our time, skanky bitch!
: Then let's prepare to cast our votes...

Why does Mikan think it's strange...? Because she must know something that contradicts the crime scene...

: Information Mikan would have... Wait, didn't her autopsy report say something about the fatal wound?

> Shoot "knife he hid" with "Mikan's Autopsy Report"

: That knife might not be the murder weapon... That's what you wanted to say, right Mikan?
: The hell are you talking about...? It's obvious the knife was the murder weapon.

: But...based on the entry wounds on Byakuya's body, the actual weapon should be roughly five millimeters in diameter...
: Five mm in diameter...? That's like waaaay skinnier than a knife!
: Hey, that better be true! If you screwed up, I'll sell your fuckin' rear end to a whorehouse!
: Eeeeeeeek! N-Not a whorehouse!
: Hey! Why are you threatening her!?

: Is this what you're trying to say, Mikan? As long as we can't prove that the knife is the murder weapon, we can't assume that I'm the killer.
: Wh-What are you saying...!? No one else can be the killer! It has to be you!
: Hey, don't blame me. Mikan's the one who said it.
: I-I'm sorrrrrrrryyyyyyy!

: ...Hey Nagito... Are you still hiding something?
: Hiding...?
: Like, during the blackout... Did something happen between you and Byakuya that we don't know about...?
: Who knows?

: ...After all this, what else do you intend to hide?
: ...
: Jeez, the moment your back's against the wall, you get all silent. You piss me off!

: What happened during the blackout...? Hmm...hmmmmmm...
: Ah! If you cross your eyes like this, it gives you doublevision!
: Don't get distracted! Our lives are at stake, you know!
: Huh? Whose life is at stake?
: Seriously, how long is it gonna take for you to understand the drat rules!?

: Nobody can see in the dark... No matter how hard you think about it, the truth is beyond your sight...
: Don't you think that's a pretty clever metaphor, despite the fact that it came from me?
: No, that's not it.
: ...Not it? What's not it?

The truth is beyond out sight... No, that can't be it. There should be some way to find out what happened in the dark!

> Present "Ibuki's Account"

: Even if we couldn't see what happened in the dark...I'm pretty sure someone could've heard it. ...Isn't that right, Ibuki?
: Fo' reeeeaaaalz!?

D-Don't act so surprised...!

: You were the one who told me, remember? How everyone was shouting during the blackout...

: E-Everyone, calm down! We gotta stay calm in a situation like this!
: Waaaah! Don't step on my feet!
: What the hell!? What's going on here!?
: Th-This is...!
: Ow!
: Turn the drat lights on! I can't eat like this, y'know!
: You guys? Where are you? W-Wasn't the blackout...just in the kitchen?
: Perhaps the breaker overloaded?
: H-Hold on a sec! I'll go along the wall and...do something about it...!

: Such perceptive hearing! Impressive! I'd expect no less from the Ultimate Musician!
: It's a good thing your ears are awesome because your face, style, figure, and personality totally suck.
: Tahaa! You've cut me deep with your knife of truth!
: However, after hearing what Byakuya and Nagito said in the dark...

: It almost sounds like...Byakuya fought back against Nagito or something...
: Well, that's actually what happened.

Huh?

: As a sign of respect for Ibuki's talent...I have a small confession to make.
: I was actually shoved out from under the table by Byakuya.
: He...shoved you out?

: Just as the blackout occurred, I hurried to duck under the table and grab the knife... But Byakuya, wearing his night-vision goggles, caught me and shoved me right out from under the table.
: That's right... I'm so incompetent that I couldn't even grab the knife...

So...Byakuya stopped him when he was trying to get the knife...and he got shoved out from under the table before he could even grab it?

Well, it sounds plausible... I mean, just from listening to what they both said at the time...

I could interpret it like that... No, actually... Now that I think about it, that sounds like exactly what happened.

: After getting shoved out from under the table, I was just as confused as you guys. I lost sight of the glowing paint, and I didn't even know where the power cord was...
: Before I realized it, the lights had come back on and Byakuya's body was lying under the table...

: H-Hold on!
: Are you saying you're *not* the killer?
: From the very beginning, the idea to throw a party... Hiding the knife, setting up the blackout... It was all going according to plan...
: But unfortunately, my plan failed. And all thanks to Byakuya's night-vision goggles.
: What happened after that...even I don't know.

: Y-You failed...? Th-Then you're not the one who killed Byakuya?
: Th-Then we're right back to square one!
: How can that be!? We've spent all this time talking back and forth!
: Meaninglessness... What other word is brimming with so much despair?
: But you can't give up! You need to have hope, do your best, and move forward!

: Rising to the challenge again and again is why you guys are the symbols of hope!

Is Nagito...really not the killer? Is this guy...really the Nagito I knew before?

No... There's no way I can say that... I just thought I knew him. But this whole time, I didn't know anything about this guy. I didn't know...his true character. It's as simple as that.

But...now's not the time for me to dwell on that. We need to find Byakuya's killer...by any means possible.

Because if we don't...

We...

We will die here...!

: Now then, the class trial has reached its climax, but... Okay, here's a question for you!
: What's this!?
: To those of you who've figured out who it is, how about you try out the Guess the Killer Challenge? Whoever fails to guess the right killer will have their save date melt away like butter... But if you guess right, I'll reward you with ten billion dollars!
: T-Ten billion!?
: Of course, for those of you who don't know who the killer is, you can just continue on. Now then, what are you gonna do!?

(A) Continue on

(B) Guess the Killer Challenge

: Well I could certainly use ten bil--
: Just kidding! You can't make a choice! There's no way you'd be able to guess who the killer is!
: Wait I think I know--
: Hyaaa-ha! And of course, there's no ten billion dollars either!
: Villain! You truly are a villain!
: Alright where's your manager? I want to lodge a formal complaint. Somebody get me that Junko girl...

: ...Oh right.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My finals are done so have an update! Now that I'm finished I can start putting out updates with better frequency. ...Once I get writing again. I'm currently out.

Regardless, with school out for the next month or so I hope to get either a good backlog or just chug away at the LP at a decent pace again. Hopefully I'll have the trial finished by the New Year and we can move on to Chapter 2.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

It was Byakuya, in the dining room, with the candlestick. wait gently caress this isn't clue.

Anyway, guess the question is who was under the building with the skewer.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Monokuma is a diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Ibuki's almost as bad at this as Owari.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I think this may have been brought up last time through this trial, but I still wonder: what was Nagito's actual plan once he had the knife?

He's under a table in a dark room filled with his fellow students holding a glowing knife. How is he going to find and stab one of the others, and if he successfully manages that, how does he avoid being accused at the trial? If he has enough light to see another student and kill them, all the other students have enough light to see him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Narsham posted:

I think this may have been brought up last time through this trial, but I still wonder: what was Nagito's actual plan once he had the knife?

He's under a table in a dark room filled with his fellow students holding a glowing knife. How is he going to find and stab one of the others, and if he successfully manages that, how does he avoid being accused at the trial? If he has enough light to see another student and kill them, all the other students have enough light to see him.

He's a crazy suicidal maniac bent on giving the others hope at any cost, even everyone's life. Getting himself killed in a foiled murder attempt would produce the simultaneous hope and despair he's looking for.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Narsham posted:

He could have covered the knife with something so it didn't glow, and if you don't care who you kill then a knife and a room full of people may not require much visibility.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

FoolyCharged posted:

He's a crazy suicidal maniac bent on giving the others hope at any cost, even everyone's life. Getting himself killed in a foiled murder attempt would produce the simultaneous hope and despair he's looking for.

Crazy 'why can't it be both?' speculation: he suicides becoming both the murderer and the victim at the same time. Take that Monokuma!

That being said there's one obvious location that might hold the way to get under the floorboards: the storage room. Behind/underneath the pile of boxes. That Nagito shuffled us away from right quick.
That still doesn't answer the question of who could have done it though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: I'm Monomi! And my heart is throbbing like crazy right now!
: The group's leader, Byakuya, got killed... And his killer is among this group of students...?
: Nope, I'm not gonna believe it! I'll never believe it!
: Cuz...I believe in everyone.
: So do your best! And don't forget to save regularly!

: Well, what now? If the knife isn't the murder weapon, there's no definitive proof that I'm the killer.
: Sh-Shut up! We'll be the judge of that!
: Y-You say you were shoved away, but...you can't actually prove it, right?
: That's right... Even if a different weapon was used, it does not mean Nagito has been cleared of suspicion!
: B-But...there's another reason why I don't think Nagito is the killer...
: Th-There's still more!?

: Based on what we've discussed... Byakuya was killed under the table, right?
: Is there something wrong with that?
: Well... Even if that's true, I feel Nagito looks...you know...clean...
: Nobody's ever complimented me on my appearance before! Not even my own mother!
: Nyehhh...I'm not talking about your looks!

Why does Mikan think Nagito looks clean...?

> Because there's no blood on Nagito

: Are you trying to say something like..."Why didn't Nagito have any bloodstains on him?"
: Y-Yes! That's it!

: Because...under the table, there was a lot of blood splattered everywhere, right? There were even bloodstains on the inside of the tablecloth...

: If he stabbed Byakuya to death, it's strange he did not get splattered with an appropriate amount of blood...
: I didn't get any blood on me? That *is* weird, huh.
: You just used somethin' to block the blood, didn't ya!?
: Something that might've been used to block the blood splatter... What do you think it could've been? Hm...I guess we did see something I could've used... Isn't that right, Hajime?

Yes, there's only one thing he could've used to block the blood splatter...

> Present "Storage Room Tablecloth"

: You're talking about the bloodstained tablecloth we found in the storage room...right?
: If there are bloodstains on it, that settles it! Nagito used the tablecloth to block the blood splatter!
: But that was found in the storage room, right? Are you suggesting he hid it there after the murder?

: You mean after the lights came back on? What would he have done if we'd seen him?
: That's true... That tablecloth was pretty big, so even if you tried to hide it and take it with you...
: Wearing a tablecloth, going under the table, getting a knife in a blackout, and stabbing someone...
: That's not just impossible for someone like me... Wouldn't it also be impossible for you guys, too?
: Th-Then...what does it mean...?

: ...Maybe...the killer didn't necessarily stab Byakuya *under* the table.

...Huh?

: No, there's no mistake that the murder occurred under that table.

: Even the inside of the tablecloth was bloody...so there's no denying Byakuya was killed there.

: But that doesn't mean where Byakuya got stabbed and where the killer did the stabbing are the same...right?
: I don't understand at all!

The place where Byakuya got stabbed and where the killer did the stabbing...are different?

: Huh? Hajime...you look like you're onto something.
: R-Really!? B-But...it sounds like a riddle!
: I feel like I'm onto something, but...it's still not clear what that is...

: Under the table, but not *under* the table... If it's somehow possible, it's the only way that makes sense!
: Moving forward, we should just put aside all unnecessary preconceptions and just choose the answer...I think.

The place where Byakuya got stabbed and the place where the killer did the stabbing...aren't the same. Using those words as a clue, I should put aside my preconceptions and try to think about it.

Something...something is coming to me...

Just a little bit more... I have a feeling I can see something!

: This is the "(Improved) Hangman's Gambit" minigame. It's...probably the worst minigame in the trials and it's certainly not "improved" in my opinion. Once more I've decided to skip the ingame explanation for it because it's lengthy and more confusing than helpful. I'll explain how it works as we go.

: The goal of the Hangman's Gambit is to form a word or phrase that answers the question being asked. Fundamentally, the game has the same concept and goal as the Hangman's Gambit in the first game but it's been made so much worse in this game. For one, the game does not give you any letter hints this time. For two, this is the first instance of the game and we already have a 13-letter long puzzle to solve. That's longer than any Hangman's Gambit answer in the first game! Ridiculous!

: For comparison (I'm borrowing this image from Oren's LP), this first puzzle in the Japanese version is 4 characters long. I understand that there are differences between languages but surely there was a better word or phrase they could have used?

: Let's just talk mechanics. Letters will fly in from the edges of the screen, and usually in pairs.

: Take your cursor, highlight one letter...

: And press X/A to capture it into your "STOCK" box in the bottom right. You can only store one letter here at a time.

: Move your cursor in front of another same letter and release it to combine two letters into one large one. This will stop the letter from moving any further.

: From here you have two options. Press X/A to destroy the letter, clearing it from the field.

: Press Triangle/Y to send the letter to the solution at the bottom. If you send the wrong letter, you will take damage to your Influence Gauge.

: You must complete the solution in order. Even if the word contains a letter later on in the solution, it will not count until it is that letter's time and place.
: If two different letters collide, they will break and you will take damage. Avoid this when possible (later puzzles make it very hard to avoid damage at some points).

: If you want to, you can pile up lots of the same letter on to one big letter. After 6 of the same letter get added, it will stop growing in size. There's a point score at the top but it has no effect on anything. Bigger letters like this E will give a higher score though if anyone really cares about that sort of thing.
: And that's why the (Improved) Hangman's Gambit is actually really bad. It takes a long time to do (I employed editing during the video to save time), the English versions are inconsistently long and as we go through the game you'll see that they get harder and less forgiving. There really is no difficulty curve.

UNDER THE FLOOR

: I got it!

: I got it! The killer must've stabbed Byakuya from under the floorboards!
: U-Under the floorboards!?

: The floorboards in the old building are full of gaps, and there was no carpet laid out under the table. If they stuck the weapon through one of the gaps, they could've stabbed Byakuya to death.

: If so, that means the killer was able to get under the floorboards. But from where? And how?
: I don't know that yet, but...I have a feeling there's someone here who does know.

That's right... If I remember correctly, one person here should know how to get under the floorboards.

: Hey Gundham... You dropped your earring in the dining hall, right?
: ...Are you referring to the Hell Hound Earring?
: About that earring...
: ...I said, are you referring to the Hell Hound Earring?
: About that "Hell Hound Earring"... You dropped it beneath the floorboards, right?

: Ah...there it is... I have found it! Truly, that is the Hell Hound Earring!
: Fuhaha...fuhahahahaha! it seems God exists for my benefit!
: I see... Good for you...
: ...However, how do I recover it? I cannot fit my arm through this opening... Were I to use a tool, it would probably not reach either...

: Kehehe... Just a bit longer and I would have reduced everything, including that old building, to ashes...
: However, it's just as the old legend said! The Hell Hound Earring has returned to its owner, to me!
: Is it safe to say that...that earring is the one hanging from your right ear?
: Huh? Could it be!?

: Gundham wasn't wearing an earring during the investigation...

: And if he had it on by the time the class trial began...

: Then that means Gundham was able to retrieve his earring from beneath the floorboards during the investigation.
: So...Gundham knows how to get under the floorboards.
: Kehehe... It's understandable. After all, you fools only view the world through eyes of glass...

: But I am different! With the power of my Four Dark Devas of Destruction, it is of no concern!
: Truly, this is the "Evil Fourth Eye!" Before the might of the "Evil Fourth Eye," all visual chaos is rendered asunder!

: What should I do!? I'm embarrassed just listening to him!
: D'ohhhhh! Man up and speak more clearly!
: Fine, I shall tell you all! The answer was in the storage room!

: One of my Four Dark Devas of Destruction... Mirage Golden Hawk, Jum-P, has seen beyond the chaos. A Secret Passage of Doom leading to the underground lurks beneath a large assortment of random boxes... After securing a lighter from the supermarket, I threw caution to the wind and ventured below the floorboards. And as a result of that lonesome battle... I was able to recover the Hell Hound Earring with my own two hands!
: Fuhaha! Tremble with fear, fools! Behold my power!

: There he goes blabbing about power and crap... You're ridiculous! You're just a breeder, y'know!
: Anyway...it sounds like you can go under the floorboards from the storage room.
: Then that has to be how the killer did it.

: If the space beneath the floor is empty, it's not that far to move from the storage room to the dining hall.

: I see... If they passed through the storage room, I understand why the tablecloth was put there.
: The killer lurked under the floorboards during the party and from there..."stab stab stab!"
: Hmm, are you sure?
: You don't like "stab stab stab"...? Should it sound more fleshy like "*splat shank stab!*"?
: No, I'm not talking about your sound effects...

: You're saying they snuck under the floorboards, but that means they would've had to leave the party, right? So...was there anyone who was able to do that?
: Then whoever wasn't at the party is the killer. They must be the one who was waiting under the floorboards.
: ...Who wasn't at the party again?

: I didn't participate, but...I was guarding the entrance, remember? Monomi over there can be my witness...right?
: Yes, this Monomi over here is your witness.
: I believe there's no need to discuss this matter further, but...I was unable to leave the bathroom...
: I was in the kitchen for a long time, but I frequently went to the dining hall to deliver my dishes.
: Um... The only person who wasn't at the party...

: Judging from the photo I took before the blackout... It obviously has to be him.

: Yay, it's decided!
: Wh-What the gently caress are you saying!? I'm not the killer!

: Oh really...? What happened to the tough guy who was saying stuff like, "I can do it"?
: Don't mess with me! I'll fuckin' kill you!
: See? You're making threats again!

: Yep yep, that's right. Things are starting to get exciting!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 25, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Really? She's accusing Kuzuryuu right after learning that the way into the under-floor area is inside the storage room? The storage room that he would need to get past Chiaki, Monomi, and everyone in the dining room and kitchen to reach?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Really? She's accusing Kuzuryuu right after learning that the way into the under-floor area is inside the storage room? The storage room that he would need to get past Chiaki, Monomi, and everyone in the dining room and kitchen to reach?

Correct! and unless there is a secret way into the area from the outside, there is no way he's the killer. Chiaki and Monomi will be able to vouch for him there.

This pretty much just leaves Steve and Peko as possible killers. Steve seems like he has a solid enough alibi between moving from the room to the kitchen (he mentioned how the power went out for some of his tools and stove) plus he still appeared in the blackout before power was restored so unless my time is goofy he didn't have enough of a window to kill and dispose of the evidence and reappear all before the lights came back on.

Peko meanwhile still just has the bathroom excuse, which no one can really vouce for save for the time before and after the blackout, but not during.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Look man, we need some reason to use the information that you can't get under from outside :colbert:

Also, it looks like our winner tonight is going to be Steve! By his own admission he was routinely patrolling that hallway to serve the food and thus its unlikely that anyone sneaked past him into the storage unit. Plus the path from the storage room to the kitchen conveniently puts him rushing to the murder scene from the correct direction he claims to have come from.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I don't think Kuzuryuu did it, but the one of the four outside suspects with a real alibi is Chiaki. So either the food poisoning wasn't that bad and Peko did it, or the entire thread is about to witness a Christmas miracle. But that's just my theory.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Called it!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
The closest thing Steve has to an alibi is that he spoke up during the blackout. Except that if he was under the floor, it would be easy for him to shout like he was in the room with them. Also, I approve of any theory that leads to characters I actively dislike dying horribly.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Truthkeeper posted:

Except that if he was under the floor, it would be easy for him to shout like he was in the room with them.

...Oh poo poo, that is a good point. drat, that actually makes me lean harder toward Steve now. I mean, Peko is still suspect number one for me, but it doesn't seem as ridiculous for Steve to have done it now...

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Hmmm... it's just occurred to me that something happening in this trial might explain something later on which I found odd when I saw it in oren's LP. I'll explain that when we get there.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I like that I was right about almost everything that had to do with Nagito (except the crazy) and the passage being in the storage room. I do not like that all that really means is that I fell for the red herring. Probably. Alas, I am swayed away from !Makoto. I'm voting Steve, if only because it's easy for me to conceive of him sneaking under the floors anyway to try and get up-skirt views and then just taking advantage of the opportunity for murder when it came.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Also the Skewer was missing from the kitchen, a place where he would have had to have been for a long time in order to cook everything up.

Or maybe this is a triple setup and the real killer is none other than Monokuma himself!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
If it ends up not being Steve and Peko really did have the shits, I'm struggling to think who else could have done it. The only other possibility is that is was Chiaki working in cahoots with Monomi to commit a murder, but that doesn't seem too likely.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Well I bought the game on Steam Winter Sale... and I'm already ahead of the LP. Just gonna lurk until it's all said and done, but it's definitely worth it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Good news! You are now allowed to use the silencer. You can use the silencer with the X/A button as many times as you want. When you use the silencer, you can shoot down the white noise. Also, when you shoot down the white noise, your time limit will increase a little. However, if you shoot an actual remark with your silencer instead of the white noise the time limit will decrease. So aim carefully when you're using the silencer. Well then...good luck and have fun!
: The Silencer returns as our method of shooting down white noise. The main difference between this game's version and DR1's is that starting later in the game white noise will take more than one shot to break. You also get extra time based on how many shots it takes to break a piece of white noise.

: During the party, the killer...
: ...was lurking under the floor like a cockroach.
: They could've stared at panties all day...
: ...without going to the storage room in the dark!
: Is that true, Fuyuhiko!?
: Don't act like I'm the fuckin' killer!
: But when the party started...nobody saw you, you know?
: That means you have no alibi!
: The culprit is self-evident.

The only person who doesn't have an alibi during the party is Fuyuhiko... But, is he really...the killer?

: No, we know that Chiaki saw Fuyuhiko come by while she was guarding the entrance.

: Just a quick picture showing off the white noise. It's represented by purple text flying across the screen.

> Shoot "no alibi" with "Chiaki's Account"

: No, Fuyuhiko definitly has an alibi. Isn't that right, Chiaki?
: Um... Oh, you're right.

: ...Huh? What happened, Fuyuhiko?
: O-Oh hey... What are you doing here...? All alone at a place like this...?
: I'm standing guard so Monokuma doesn't come inside.
: Heh... How diligent of you...

: I saw Fuyuhiko after the party started. There's no way he could've been waiting under the floor before then.
: You should've said that earlier, dumbass.
: It's still your fault. Like...why were you even lurking around the old building in the first place?
: Sh-Shut up...

: Maybe there really is a secret passage to go under the floorboards from outside, and he came to spy...
: ...What'd you say, motherfucker!?
: Oh noooooo-ho-ho-haha-hmhm!
: Wow, he got chewed out, but he looks super happy!

: Regardless, it's impossible to go under the floorboards from outside. Chiaki and I already confirmed that...
: Then someone definitely went under the floorboards through the storage room during the party.
: During the party... It was probably during the blackout...
: Well, if someone disappeared during the blackout, no one would've noticed.
: But walking down that dark hallway to the storage room is like trying to make eggs benedict without any eggs!
: You're right... I couldn't even see the office in that darkness, and that room was much closer...

: ...But is it really impossible? It might be better if we examine that possibility a little bit more...
: It was super dark, y'know? There's no way you'd be able to find your way to the storage room!

But...I can't stop thinking about it. I feel like there's something I overlooked... For clarity's sake, once again...

: It appears...we're getting close to the final stage...

: The blackened or the spotless... Which is superior...? I think it's time to settle this.

: The hallway was really dark during the blackout! Moving to the storage room like that...
: ...is like making a seafood bowl without fish!
: Is it really not possible?
: What is they used a string like the cord?
: Maybe there was another pair of night-vision goggles?
: What a pain, I'm gonna go with my gut.
: What if they used a light?
: It definitely sounds impossible...

The killer's method for moving in the dark...might be what that one person suggested... If so, I might be able to prove it...!

: Gotta think about this one carefully. There's no evidence of string or extra night-vision, so where could a light possibly come from in a blackout?

> Shoot "used a light" with "Kitchen Equipment List"

: I know... The killer had a light with them!
: Oh, I was right!?
: But where could they have found a light?
: There was one nearby for sure. See? It's written on the kitchen's equipment list.

20 forks, 20 knives, 20 spoons, 5 iron skewers, 3 frying pans, 20 wine glasses... There are also iron plates for barbecue...and even a portable stove for cooking hotpots.

: Iron plates and a portable stove... I do recall seeing them on the shelf over there. This kitchen seems to be well kept. There should be no problems using it.

: It's the portable stove.
: P-Portable stove!?
: The portable stove isn't powered by electricity and it's also small enough to carry around...
: So the killer used the portable stove to move from the hallway to the storage room during the blackout!

: I see... I never considered the portable stove, but there's a hole in your argument.

...Huh?

: A hole? What kind of hole? it would be great if you could explain it to me in...much more detail.
: Ah, I wasn't making a perverted joke or anything! It's really not a perverted joke! I'm-I'm serious! Hm...
: Repeating yourself just makes it even more suspicious!

: Now then, Hajime. Will you battle against me?

: No, that's wrong!

: ...Will you be able to break through my argument?

Wh-What does he mean "battle?" It sound like he's enjoying a game or something...

Dammit! There's no way I'm going to lose against someone like him!

Round One

: Did you forget what Kazuichi said earlier?
: He said the hall was too dark to see the office.
: The light from the stove that you mentioned...
: It contradicts his testimony.
: Or are you intentionally doubting his testimony?

: If you aren't efficient enough with your slices, sometimes you'll have to Duel. This doesn't occur during the video because I guess I did slightly better than I did when taking pictures.

: Dueling is literally just mashing the X/A button as fast as you can.

Advance!

: I don't doubt what Kazuichi said!
: What are you trying to say...!?

Round Two

: The reason Kazuichi couldn't see the office...
: ...was because the hallway was dark, right?
: So if a light was shining in such a dark hallway...
: Wouldn't Kazuichi have seen it?
: After all, he was walking near the hallway, right?

It's true that any light source in the dark hallway would have stood out. So...if the killer did have a light, the reason Kazuichi wasn't able to see it was...

: It didn't come up for very long during our investigation but there was one key piece of evidence that could have blocked the light in the hallway.

> Slice "Kazuichi have seen" with "Fire Door"

: Nagito, did you forget? Or are you just pretending you forgot?
: ...Huh? What are you talking about?
: There should've been a wall that blocked light.

: ...I'm talking about the fire door in the hallway.

: If you close it, it would form a perfect wall in the hallway. Plus...the hallway rounds a corner just beyond the fire door... So even if there was a small gap in the door, as long as they pass the corner, the light still wouldn't peek out.
: I see... To actually notice the fire door, just as expected of the Ultimate...

Music cuts out.

: Oh... You still don't remember your talent, do you?
: Wh-Who cares about that right now...!?

: Nagito, what are you plotting? For someone who insists he's not the killer, you are quite nosy.
: You sound so scary. If you're that angry, why don't you take a deep breath...?
: You sure like to piss us off! How about I shut your fuckin' mouth for you!?
: Heeeey! It's okay if you guys fight, but I won't allow a burly brawl that might offend people!

: More importantly, can you hurry up and decide who's the blackened already? Time runs out when I get bored.
: Fine, I get it... You're telling me to pass the torch, right?
: P-Pass the torch?

: We're going to ask the real killer, not an impostor like me, to show themselves!
: Hmph...! You're obviously the killer, right?
: If you think I am...I really don't mind.
: Whatever conclusion you Ultimates arrive at, I will accept it, no matter what it is.

So...you're telling me to call out the "real killer"... Even though I really don't want to condemn that person but...there's no other way, right?

The person who used the hallway's fire door as cover and used the portable stove to move in the dark and snuck under the floorboards to stab Byakuya to death using the glowing paint as a mark. So, the only killer I can think of is...

...You, and only you!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Hmmm, I'm still stumped on this one, though it looks like the evidence is pointing pretty heavily to Steve since he was in the kitchen and had access to the stove and skewers.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

This is another one of my favourite moments right here. Komaeda suddenly interjecting with the classic "sore wa chigau yo" like that in his subtly different not-Naegi voice just gave me loving chills the first time I heard it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah, Steve's pretty much been nailed because of the stove bit. Peko's the only other one out of alibis and going to a kitchen with an upset stomach that's kept you in the bathroom for hours isn't likely.

Unless they were in collusion!? And Steve is set up to take the fall for her here!?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Oh, right, I see now what Mahiru is getting at. She's suggesting that Kuzuryuu was hiding underneath the floor from before the party started. Okay that's a little less bad an idea, and since she was guarding the body and making the sketch, she never left the lodge to see Chiaki.

: I know... The killer had a light with them!

I'm sorry, but this is where Hinata's logic totally fails. It is absolutely, completely impossible that the killer used the portable stove as a light source.

If the Fire Door was closed, there's still a big flaw in the light-source argument.

Even if the killer used the portable stove from the kitchen as a light source, at best that takes them into the storage room. There's absolutely NO WAY they could have taken the light with them underneath the floor into the dining hall. In the darkness of the blackout, any light would have been a huge beacon lighting up the dining hall and instantly giving away that there was someone under the floor.

Without taking the light under the floor, though, there's no plausible way the killer could have found their way to underneath the table. That feeble glow-in-the-dark paint is not enough light shining through the cracks in the floor to let the killer find their way from the storage room to the table. Remember that Nagito had to use the power cord, and he had the advantage of standing near the table, knowing when the blackout would occur and being able to face that direction when the power went out.

But okay, let's say that the portable stove has magic light which doesn't travel upwards to give itself away. The killer has to get the portable stove, close the fire door, turn the stove on, walk to the storage room, pick up the big bulky tablecloth, go under the floor and SOMEHOW crawl their way to the right spot without any clear way of knowing which direction or how far... all in the time that it takes Nagito to easily follow the cord to the table. There is no way at all that the killer is faster doing all of that than Nagito is following the cord.

Plus, there's another way that the killer could have found their way in the dark without the light: Just following the wall with their hands. It's so simple a child could do it.

This is not the last time the game uses terrible logic as a solution to the mystery, which really, REALLY ruins the point of a mystery game.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 25, 2016

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
^Agreed, I thought they concluded that the real killer was onto what Nagito was planing and simply waited until the blackout time under the floor until this nonsense started up.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

That feeble glow-in-the-dark paint is not enough light shining through the cracks in the floor to let the killer find their way from the storage room to the table. Remember that Nagito had to use the power cord, and he had the advantage of standing near the table, knowing when the blackout would occur and being able to face that direction when the power went out.

The blackout also had a bunch of people running around during it and causing havoc, along with the fact that the table was covered by a tablecloth that blocked the knife. The point of the tape was for when Nagito was under the table, not to reach it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

If the Fire Door was closed, there's still a big flaw in the light-source argument.

I swear this is addressed later.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

alcharagia posted:

The blackout also had a bunch of people running around during it and causing havoc, along with the fact that the table was covered by a tablecloth that blocked the knife. The point of the tape was for when Nagito was under the table, not to reach it.

I'm pretty sure that most people in the blackout would have been staying right where they were because they couldn't see anything. The exception being Soda because he was looking for the office. And I said nothing about Nagito looking for the glow of the tape before getting under the table. I said he needed to use the lamp cord to find the table. Nagito had a short trip and he had planned for it. I said that the glow from the tape wouldn't have been bright enough to filter through the cracks in the floor and act as a guide for the killer during the blackout.

Assuming that Teruteru is the killer, I think Fabulousvillain has it right. If he knew when the blackout was going to happen, he could have easily gotten into position under the table BEFORE the lights went out - the pattern of light coming from the cracks in the floor would have been enough information to get him to the table to lie in wait. He might have used the portable stove for light - but not to find his way to the storage room, the lights were still on at that time. Instead he would have left it on in the storage room. After committing the murder, the light coming from the hatch would let him find his way back through the crawlspace during the blackout. From there he could follow the wall back to the kitchen without the stove light.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I like how often you can tell who's saying the white noise lines, despite the game not showing it. It shows how distinct a lot of the character's voices are.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

FPzero posted:

Even though I really don't want to condemn that person but...there's no other way, right?

I think you're the only one mate.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

: From this point on, lines of white noise will appear to disrupt your reactions. Your Truth Bullets will disappear if they touch these lines, so think of them as obstacles in your debate. Please time your Truth Bullets just right so they won't get interrupted by the white noise. In this debate, you won't be able to shoot down the white noise. That will be explained later... Well then...good luck, and have fun!

FPzero posted:

: Good news! You are now allowed to use the silencer. You can use the silencer with the X/A button as many times as you want. When you use the silencer, you can shoot down the white noise. Also, when you shoot down the white noise, your time limit will increase a little. However, if you shoot an actual remark with your silencer instead of the white noise the time limit will decrease. So aim carefully when you're using the silencer. Well then...good luck and have fun!

So...why can't you use the silencer at first? It says it'll explain why you can't shoot white noise at first "later", but then it just...doesn't. Was this just a translation mistake?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

dancingbears posted:

So...why can't you use the silencer at first? It says it'll explain why you can't shoot white noise at first "later", but then it just...doesn't. Was this just a translation mistake?

I think what is meant is that the shooting down of white noise will be explained later, not why you can't for that particular segment.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

dancingbears posted:

Nope, it's accurate. The white noise appears during the first debate but you can't shoot it (as in, if you push the button nothing happens). This is probably to get you used to the tools you already have before tossing even more at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Post for new page.

• Locked thread